[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File deleted.
>mfw lumberjacks are cutting down my forest bit by bit
>>
Solution
>>
>>2281872
This, or depending on the use of the forest etc, take is as a chance to rebuild a varied shifting mosaic of plants, and enjoy watching the succession take place
>>
File: 1641245629849.jpg (152 KB, 1080x844)
152 KB
152 KB JPG
>>2281797
Tightly wrap steel wire around trees.
Destroy their equipment.

Do what ever it takes anon.
>>
>>2281797
if its a plantation then let them cut it down and stop impeding on their rightful business. If it's old growth then put 9 inch nails in the trees or do as >>2281875
said
>>
>>2281872
This doesn't do anything.
>>
>>2281872
I don't understand.
>>
>>2281872
spiking trees is supposed to make it more dangerous to cut them down or cut them up. Hitting the nails can fuck up chains or blades in a mill. It's not as effective as they think it is.
>>
>>2281872
the point is to fuck with equipment when the woods being processed? are there any other methods, considering how big an issue deforestation is in third worlds I bet there's some effective sabotage methods
>>
>>2281797
what forest, and where?
willing to bet it's not old growth but rather reprod trees they're harvesting after 20ish years or so.

they're trees, they grow back. they aren't some mystical gaia stubble or whatever the fuck hippies claim.
>>
>>2282430
this

>>2281797
if its a plantation then just let them do it retard
>>
>>2281797
wait until the trees are gone and then introduce climate appropriate bamboo
>>
>>2282132
They think it will explode the band saw blade in the lumber mill when it's being processed. Spoiler alert: it won't. If you pound a nail of that size into a tree, the band saw will continue to mow through it. If you want to break the band saw blade, you need to spike the tree. All that will do is snap the blade and halt production for ten minutes until the production manager picks up the phone and calls maintenance to swap the blade.
>>
>>2281916

THIS GET LOTS AND LOOOOTS OF COPPER AND SOME WIRE AND GO ON A FUCKING FRENZY AT NIGHT WRAPING TREES GOGOGGOGOGOOOOO!!!

IT ALSO POWERS THE TREES
ANCIENT ENERGIES
>>
>>2282355
>It's not as effective as they think it is.
It is if it makes it into a mill and wrecks a saw blade. This probably won't hurt anybody but it can cause the mill to shut down while the blades are changed which might take 30 minutes to an hour depending on which machine and whether another set of blades is ready to swap in.
>>
>>2281916
>>2282786
what do you expect from a faggot forest anonymous fan boy ?
>>
Ok, one of you faggots actually post some resources on why old growth is so vital.

>Hardmode, do not mention:
>Biodiversity (secondary successional forests are drastically more diverse in both flora and fauna)
>Carbon sequestration (grasslands, taiaga, and algea sequester way more carbon than any old growth stand)
>Wildlife (again, secondary successional forests offer better structural variation and foraging opportunities)

I'll give you aesthetics and recreation since I personally think they look better and are more pleasant to walk in than a wall of pioneer species.

I've looked for the literature and I can't find anything that gives hard fucking metrics on why we "need" it. The closest I've found is "ecosystem resiliency" and even that is a meme phrase since steady state (old growth) stands should not be expected to be that way forever.
>Inb4 reddit spacing
Kys fags
>>
Don't commit crimes, don't be a dummy, dude...
>>
OP: https://theanarchistlibrary.org/library/various-authors-ecodefense-a-field-guide-to-monkeywrenching

>>2285377
Biodiversity is not an end in itself. Bringing new species into an ecosystem is often quite destructive. And of course while primary forests sometimes have fewer species they also have many specialized species which are incredibly vulnerable to habitat loss. Perhaps these unique species have little that we "need" in a way which can be measured by "hard metrics," and perhaps human changes are a natural part of many forest ecosystems. But I also think humans would be much better off in general if we took on a principle of respecting things for their own sake instead of trying to optimize them.
>>
>>2282625
>Put nails in 100 trees
>Halt production 100 times
>Change blade 100 times

Seems a win to me
>>
>>2285385
lol
>>
>>2285378
Shut up, idiot.
>>
>>2285379
I guess the fallacy is that any of these "old growth" are primary forests. At most they are "virgin", but ecologically speaking they would still be considered secondary successional at a mature steady state. Primary successional ecosystem would be like what is at Mt. St. Helens right now.
>Yes I am aware how gay and pretentious this all sounds
>>
>>2282435
I spent half the summer killing trees and the other half replanting the cut and maintaining a cut from 15 years ago. Let them cut it down, trees don't grow forever better to cut them while they are worth something and let new ones take their place.
>>
>>2281797
> crippling the shift from monoculture tree plantations to more natural type of woods by sabotaging the people who're doing the work
OP is very likely to live in a first world country where foresters are obliged to reforest with a variety of tree species in order to boost ecodiversity and establish more stable forests.
Also, the trees will get felled even if he spikes them. For one the chances of hitting it with the chainsaw are very slim, logging companies have insurance against it and the sawmill still can use the wood for paper or plywood production.
Op will never go outside anyways
>>
kill them
>>
>>2285378
>no you have to let nature be destroyed because laws made by rich people who don't give a fuck about nature say so
>>
>>2287371
LOL go to jail then. Bye bye
>>
>>2287897
yes if you're caught committing a crime that's kind of what happens, but do you honestly think people will get caught banging nails into trees?
>>
>>2287371
elect different people to make different laws then. Convince others that nature is worth saving, and if it is, people will listen to reason.
>>
>>2287911
and in the meantime?
>>
File: 1635879990111.png (946 KB, 806x789)
946 KB
946 KB PNG
>>2281797
So cut them down bit by hit.
>>
>>2281918
This
If you fuck with plantations too much they just end up selling them to real estate developers
T. Forester
>>
Fight like an orangutan.
https://youtu.be/ihPfB30YT_c

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.