[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Do you carry something for self-defense? Pepper spray, a knife, a gun? Is it really necessary? Any sketchy encounters?

I'm an eurofag so I carry pepper spray for dogs. Also got a strobo headlamp and a folding knife.
>>
>>2277810
never carried anything. now i’ve never been in an area with proper brown bears (or polar i guess) so if i were to ever visit alaska or canada or something i might get bear spray but thats it. never had an issue with people in backcountry.
>>
just the strict necessary
>>
>>2277810
I take a handgun
>>
>>2277810

I have 2 100ml cans of KO and 2 glock field knives(If one arm is bitten, other can stab or spray + can quickly reach from most angles in random successions). Spray'n'Stab is the way to go when dealing with a hostile predator.
>>
>>2277810
what kind of fag is scared of dogs? if you're a eurofag you have even less excuse because you shouldn't be inundated with shitbulls
>>
>>2277882
Okay tough guy.
>>
>>2277810
bear spray
>>
Yeah, I take a handgun, mostly for defense against two legged predators. My uncle owns about 2,000 acres of forested land, and had some Mexican pot farmers set up a grow operation about six hundred feet off of one of his ATV trails. He knew something was up because his power bill suddenly spiked like 400% in a month. We found their exact campsite by following tire tracks in the mud immediately after a rainstorm. He called the sheriff on them, and the deputies said the farmers had meth and guns on them. Definitely not nice customers.
>>
>>2277810
10.5 AR.
>>
File: my_pack.jpg (141 KB, 600x702)
141 KB
141 KB JPG
>>2277810
i tent to have a canister of bear's pray strapped to the outside of my pack. this has a two-pronged effect

1. easy and quick access if I happen upon a bear on the trail
2. open carry sprray signals to bears and people alike that I can hurl an oily cloud of pain at high pressure from several meters away
>>
>>2277882
bruh, dogs can be really dangerous even if you are the strongest guy in the world. Especially those wild dogs in the woods, even more dangerous than the fucking wolves.
>>
File: smatchets.jpg (6 KB, 259x194)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
>>2277810
Spray or CS shovel but mostly spray and a shovel when carrying backpack. Always a fixed blade knife, was larping with a faux smatchet on the belt, but normies were looking funny, so downgraded to tanto. If I felt particurarly autistic I could get with me a bp revolver in a shoulder rig, but thats just too much hassle to lug around. No bears here, nigger tier dogs can be a concern near the settlements.
>>
>>2280205
Dogs are really not that bad. I worked with animal control for a few years in LA, dealt with plenty of shitbulls.
>>
>>2280277
Yeah well I don't want to take the chance if a can of pepper spray costs 5 bucks and can take out a tweaker as well.
>>
File: bigfoot-517258962.jpg (160 KB, 1200x900)
160 KB
160 KB JPG
Nothing
>>
File: 02.png (10 KB, 638x123)
10 KB
10 KB PNG
>>2277810
>Do you carry something for self-defense?
No, I'm not a woman.
>>
>>2280332
Like spray would do shit to a tweaker.
>>
>>2281675
Yes, yes it would.
>>
>>2281675
It's basically pepper spray but stronger and faster acting. It's strong enough on humans to cause the throat to swell enough for them to stop breathing for a good ten to thirty seconds. Damn right it would work on some tweaker.
>>
>>2277810
Sure I carry a 9mm anytime I'm in the wild, its mainly to protect myself from rabid trailcucks who see me wearing wool and carrying an axe and come sprinting over to attack me.
>>
>>2281681
spray is good for
1) disabling visibility of the sprayed
2) disabling their ability to breath
3) kicking off the flight/fight/freeze and yell in pain response

a tweaker/meth head will
1) lift that huge rock/log/CAR
2) not see/hear you because of the spray
3) drool more and breath harder making hearing you also harder
4) allowing you to get away, go behind with a large rock/stick/stun gun/ and/or just get away from the fucker
>>
>>2278013
>My uncle owns about 2,000 acres of forested land
Plausible, would believe
>Mexican pot farmers set up a grow operation about six hundred feet off of one of his ATV trails.
50% plausible, but weed isn't that profitable anymore since you're no more than one state away from it being legal in America
>He knew something was up because his power bill suddenly spiked like 400% in a month.
How far out does his power grid extend and how did the spics tap into his power supply without cutting it off first? I doubt there's 240 volt outlets 600 ft off an ATV trail. A 400% spike in electricity use would take at least ten 1000 watt HPS bulbs, plus fans/inline fans. How did your uncle not notice that big of a greenhouse being set up on his property? This is a gay ass boomer story and you're lying. Spics import meth from mexico. Mexican weed is trash and you can't even find it anymore unless you live right on the border.
>>
>>2281675
Bear spray definitely would. Some dusted out nigger on pcp probably not, but you will never see that while /out/
>>
>>2277810
>folding knife.
I have never seen a folding knife that would be remotely adequate for self defence besides as a deterrent. It's a utility tool.

I used to go hiking with an ice axe, mostly because I was a wannabee mountaineer as a teen, and sometimes it would come in handy on steep slopes, a bit like a trekking pole, besides its obvious use on glaciers and sleep snow slopes, but something like an ice axe would be a much better self-defence weapon against human and other animal assailants than 99% of pocket knives.
>>
File: Ice axe.jpg (12 KB, 400x400)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>>2281794
And when I say ice axe, I mean something like this.
>>
>>2281743
This was about six years ago, in Calaveras County, CA. He uses his cabin as a summer home, and isn’t there during the winter. When your power bill is de minimus because you’re not living there, it’s easy to notice even small spikes.

I’ll see if I can find a news story on it.
>>
>>2281794
Yeah you're absolutely right. That would be my last line of defense anyway, spray and strobo to blind the fucker.
>>
>>2281798
machete's would also suffice and have usage in tall grass/thick forests/small dead trees
>>
I carry my Sasquatch slayer blade.
>>
File: 1280px-9mmPAK.jpg (224 KB, 1280x960)
224 KB
224 KB JPG
>>2277810
How about a gas pistol which can fire blanks or tear gas? Could it be good against dogs, boar etc? I don't know how it is regulated in eu but in Hungary you can get license for carrying it.
>>
>>2277810
I carry a .38 special revolver when i'm alone, because i'm paranoid.
>>
>>2282202
in America this is regulated the same as any basic can of mace
https://byrna.com/products/mission-4-by-byrna
they make handgun models too
>>
>>2282100
i see the meatball but no chance of cloud. (or zack in this case?)
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (147 KB, 1280x720)
147 KB
147 KB JPG
>>2282228
Maybe not the gas pistol the correct word for it. It's not CO2. It has a 9mm round which has a plastic cap an can be filled with tear gas thing. It only good for self defense. It has the sound and light like a normal gun.
>>
>>2281731
Tweakers can't fight amazingly well in my experience and don't have some crazy super strength. You must be thinking of pcp or some crazy chemicals
>>
File: pew.jpg (670 KB, 1500x948)
670 KB
670 KB JPG
>>2277810
Beretta M9, 15 round magazine, hollow points.
Humans and cougars that fuck with me will have several small entry and large exit holes to deal with.
Bear defense is all masturbation.
If the bear wants to eat you, and you're not holding a 30 caliber (and up) rifle, you are going to die now.
If the spray or the pistol made the bear leave, he wasn't that into eating you. If he were, those things would have just pissed him the fuck off.
>>
>>2277858
This. Mainly for humans.
>>
>>2281597
Good, then when I see you on the trails I can easily rob you
>>
No, everything is illegal is my country, pepper spray, batons.
>>
File: 1596450542676.png (174 KB, 1051x1000)
174 KB
174 KB PNG
>>2282551
Laughs in slightly less illegal
>>
>>2282537
No, no you can't, fatso.
>>
>>2280277
I have run across packs of wild dogs in Italy. This was years ago, and I would hope the situation has improved. But at the time, there was a big problem with people abandoning pets in the countryside, and they would form packs when they found each other.

I can assure you that it's not a nice feeling being followed by a pack of wild dogs.
>>
Glock 20 10mm with 220gr hardcast buffalo bore bullets
>>
>>2283253
Same except I’m just using cheap ass 180gr cause it’s all I can get. Moose, bears, shapeshifters, mountain monkeys it can take them all out easy.
>>
Are there any martial-arts techniques that work on bears?
>>
>>2283661
Maybe the ones that use spears.
>>
>>2283661
Congrats you win the most autistic post of the day award.
>>
>>2283661
getrapedbyabear jitsu
>>
>>2283661
krav maga, you kick the bear in the nuts and run
>>
>>2283661
wrestling, but you need to be oiled up
>>
>>2283661
You must study the blade
>>
File: hqdefault (1).jpg (13 KB, 480x360)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
>>2277810
Yeah, I carry these hands
>>
>>2283661
I've heard that preemptivesuicide-fu can be pretty effective in the right circumstances
>>
File: PicsArt_07-07-12.56.43.jpg (2.07 MB, 1473x2618)
2.07 MB
2.07 MB JPG
>>2277810
20 rounds of real fucking NATO. never been fucked with but me and my friends witnessed what we think was a sex trafficking victim die in a storm.
>>
>>2285418
That's a stupid excuse. You know Bruce lee carried a gun, he had way more training and experience than your ass ever will have.
>>
>>2281743
>weed isn't that profitable anymore since you're no more than one state away from it being legal in America
Lol, illegal farming still happens even in legal states because legal pot is taxed to shit, just like why moonshinning is still a thing.
>>
File: Plaque.jpg (55 KB, 630x420)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
>>2283661
Being a sick cunt
>>
>>2285449
Story?
>>
>>2285675
Not an interesting story and ive posted it before
>hiking in the smokies with my friends
>starts raining so we set up camp next to the trail
>get cozy under our tarp, make dinner and talk
>storm gets worse and worse but we are shielded by most of the wind and rain
>hear a splosh splosh splosh of footsteps coming down the trail.
>friend gets his flashlight and points it down the trail
>20ish year old asian girl completely naked except panties and covered in mud.
>she screams something in gook speak at us then sprints down the trail
>we just sit there stunned for a second until my friend decides we got to fo after her as she is going to freeze to death or fall off the mountain
>start giving chase up the mountain but the storm is getting so bad that we cant see a few feet in front of us and the trail we are standing on is a mini waterfall
>decide its too dangerous to keep going and head back to camp
>when the storm lets up in the morning we cant find any trace of her on the trail and no othe hiker saw her pass them.
>reported it to the rangers but never got a follow uo
Im pretty sure she slipped down the mountain and died.
>>
>>2285716
>Not an interesting story

It was. What the fuck
>>
>>2285716
>and ive posted it before
I remember reading this at some point
>>
>>2277810
I carry my Glock 20 if I'm going somewhere where there's a legitimate possibility of encountering large wild animals and I also carry bear spray if I'm anywhere with bears. I carry my regular carry piece if I'm just hiking the trails around the city because they're full of homeless people, tweakers, and other shit birds. The gun doesn't really feel necessary but I figure what the hell, I carry one everyday at work so I'm used to it.
>>
>>2277810
Muh mora

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.