[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 96 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

The general formerly known as /lcg/ LARP Containment General edition.

This general is an effort to consolidate topics generally considered to be “LARP” on boards including /out/, /an/, /k/, /diy/, /pol/, and others:

Some examples of topics:
-Homesteading
-Microfarming
-Where to buy land
-Prepping
-Natural Disasters
-SHTF
-Self Sufficiency
-“Survival” Skills
-Homelessness
-Running away from home
-Nomad threads
>>
>>2275592

running away from home, regardless of the reason, brings up legal issues. don't think we shouldn't allow discussion, but probably shouldn't include that in the header either lest it look like we encourage it.
>>
>>2275592
GLOWNIGGER
>>
>>2275592
>he's consolidating all LARP into one thread
OH MIEN GOTT
>>
>>2275630
This is a good point; running away aka homelessness is rarely the answer and certainly not for the teenagers who start the threads on it
>>
bump for da colapse
>>
Where is the best way to find homesteading land after i run away form home? I have $500 of allowance money from my parents saved up, and i'm thinking of stealing my dads car too
>>
>>2277217
Why do they think California, New York, and Hawaii are good places to live offgrid?
>>
>>2277226
Because they got paid to say so. So boomers living there read it and go 'ah this IS a good place to stay- hope the grandkids love it in three decades'
>>
>>2277226
I did a search and it's based on social media hashtags lol
>>
>>2277217
This is like all the worst places for it
>>
I hope this general takes off so we don't have to go through 3 "how-to-live-innawoods" threads daily
Godspeed op
>>
File: 20211105_232725.jpg (694 KB, 1841x2268)
694 KB
694 KB JPG
>>2277217
How is Nevada, a state with no income tax and premium solar generating capacity not in the top 10?
Look up the towns in northern Nevada. Like mountain city.
>>
Anyone have experienced buying jam jars online?
I need several hundred and it looks like China- but online sale platforms do little to assure me.
>>
>>2278206
Where are you that you can't just buy them at your local hardware store?
>>
>>2278206
Scams a very rampant with canning supllies. Especially in the last two yeas
>>
>>2278177
remember to keep it bumped to fight the newfag board tourist spam
>>
I think the reason homesteading is considered a larp is because it is almost impossible to be truly self sufficient. Growing food for the year round is difficult simply because of the work of preserving and planning involved. Too many people have forgotten that most crops especially vegetables come ready in summer and autumn and that's it. Sure with poly tunnels you can grow stuff in midwinter but that's a whole other level of difficulty and encourages pests to survive the winter and attack the next year's crops. Still most dedicated individuals can do pretty well growing maybe half their food supply, with staggered potato harvests, salad and cabbage through the warm months, kale and brussel sprouts for the autumn and judicious use of the forgotten hardier crops. It's a start. So when someone says they're going off grid and living off the land I assume they're full of shit, but when they supplement their diet with home grown and preserving techniques and reduce their reliance on industrial society somewhat, I respect.
>>
>>2278262
>I think the reason homesteading is considered a larp
Homesteading is considered larp on /out/ because 99% of "how do i homestead threads" are created by urbanite basedboys who have never touched a trowel in their life, let alone grown a single vegetable

real homesteaders post in /hgm/
>>
>>2278270
real homesteaders don't post here at all
>>
>>2278214
Because of the quantity I need.
>>2278215
I'm asking because like I said I didn't have any confidence in the sellers.
I know someone who got burned buying Fowler jars that the lid all rusted, so many hipsters are selling products in single use jars.
>>
>>2275915
>he larps as intelligent
MEIN LEBEN
>>
>>2278354
Leben means living, you can't contract leabenstraum that way.
Today I grew 10kg of fruit and sold it To other white people
>>
>>2278370
>sold to other white ppl
>der kaufjude
>>
>>2278370
>you can't contract leabenstraum that way.
Yeah, but I wasn't trying to correctly speak German. It's a Wolfenstein reference.
>>
>>2278373
>Wurzellose Stadtbewohner
Nien, der arische Übermensch.
Wir müssen Lebensraum für das Volk zurückgewinnen, Während andere mit Blut arbeiten, zerfurche ich den Boden
>>
>>2278181
>wtf why isn't a desert with no water great for homesteading?
>>
>>2278181
The solar "market" is actually a cartel.
Private companies bought a monopoly from the state and so have no reason to negotiate with anyone.
Serving their own interest they will buy solar at a higher rate, then when idiots invest in panels the company will halve the rate paid.

The issue with solar is that you can only really sell to the grid; and the grid is a monopoly.
>>
how crazy would i be to buy 183 acres in west va? stats from zillo:
>septic
>well
>small cabin 500sq/ft
>small "shop"
>hills of central WV
>"gas rights"
>wooded hillside
>creek
>overgrown pasture
>deer,squirell, turkey, rabbits

I might have about $70k to build a one man tiny house after I sell my house. There is enough woods to heat me for the rest of my life.
>>
>>2279025
>There is enough woods to heat me for the rest of my life.
lol which city are you moving from?
>>
>>2279038
western maryland.
>>
>>2277217
>>2277226
Upstate NY is fertile and decently cheap in the West, a decent choice if you're already from the area and are used to being raped up the bleeding asshole with taxes
>>
I am not trying to accuse this thread of larping, but how many people here genuinely have any setup that is like homesteading or off grid living in any way? Is this an entirely fantasy based thread?
>>
>>2279078
i think it's safe to assume anyone on 4chan doesn't
>own anything
>have a gf
>have assets
>a job
>>
>>2279025
>gas rights
Does that mean you have your own natural gas well?
>>
>>2279156
Lol at 183 acres its not like anon is going to get rich off of it. Fracking means if any neighboring gas rights have been purchased, they could easily tap into the same nat gas pools and drain it out from right under his nose
>>
>>2279201
What I mean is some people have natgas wells to heat their homes. Some even have generators hooked up.
>>
>>2279078
I'm only lurking but I have chickens and a garden so I guess that makes me a homesteader in our new hashtag world. I don't fall for the offgrid meme though.
>>
>>2279039
isn't western maryland essentially the same as west virginia? WV just has far less niggers
>>
>>2279084
A good chunk of anons on /fit/ do actually lift, same with gun owners on /k/ and cock suckers on /r9k/
>>2279274
What kind of chickens do you have? Do you breed your own chicks too or just buy from store
>>
Ask people you know to save jars when they use them and you can get a lot fast
>>
>>2279025
Not crazy but you need to start a community very hard to do on your own
>>
>>2279078
I grow a large vegetable garden, but even in my shitty 2000 population town you arent allowed to have chickens or anything
>>
File: 1623129392827.png (2.27 MB, 1888x3748)
2.27 MB
2.27 MB PNG
>>2278177
my only concern is that if it takes off, it might attract the urbanite basementdwelling schizo LARP types from /pol/ and /k/ and they will further shit up the catalog

I remember when half of the /out/ catalog was OC, now there's only 2 or 3 OC threads up
>>
>>2279025
Do it and post pictures of the work you do to it. WAGMI
>>
>>2277217
If you have a nice mouth, SoCal is a great place to be homeless.

>>2277226
NYC is shit for homeless, CA, AZ, NM and HI are all places where you can be homeless and not die of exposure.

Homesteading or poorsteading is a fucking delusional larp and the best you can do is play the fucking capitalist game, amass wealth and buy a garden plot, then over time convert it to a summer home, then into your retreat. Keep a real job, settle all of your debts, buy a cheap ass $20k plot of land and dump all your money into it like it were a hobby, because that's what it is, and expensive hobby.
>>
>>2279073
new york is very aggressive with private use of the "eminent domain" laws. some rich NYC asshole will have his senate buddy take your land once you are done developing it, so he can build a 28th vacation home.
>>
>>2279156
its kind of fuckery from what i gather. its not like "oh wow unlimted free heat in the middle of nowhere". apparantly some people build natural gas generators but actually heating your house with it is pretty fucked.
>>
>>2279295
not really. they just instituted a mask mandate again. it's defintely not baltimore.
>>
>>2279349
im thinking of it. apparantly most of the land is on a hill (west virginia). about 7 acres is liveable. not sure how good the soil is. its fucking remote though. there is surpisgnly one walmart like 20 minutes away but other than than everything is a hike. if i cant use the soil id be fucked. major cities are over 100 miles.
>>
>>2275592
Thanks anon. I was loving the Circle of Wagons posts on /pol/, however, they seem to have stopped sprouting... good to know it can carry out here.
>>
File: 1599454228741.png (980 KB, 712x1024)
980 KB
980 KB PNG
>>2279422
>on /pol/
You have to go back
>>
I'm tired of my city ignoring the homeless people. If I were to make kits that I just hand out to any homeless I see, what are some practical items that would actually help. Tarps? Sources of fire? I'm trying to make a difference.
>>
>>2279444
/out/ is a /pol/ colony now. Either accept it, or frig off to plebbit, pal.
>>
>>2279445
>https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2011/07/28/man-shot-while-feeding-oakland-homeless-dies/
I have no sympathy for the homeless, too many bad actors and people who choose to place their selves in the situation.
>>
>>2279309
I will be breeding them this spring but it will be my first time. I have leghorns, rhode island reds, and a rooster I got free off craigslist. I also had Bielefelders and Wyandottes in the past. I don't really know shit but the leghorns are the best layers (that's the breed factory farms use) and the RiR are almost as good but I think the RiR eggs taste better, maybe it's just in my head though.
>>
>>2279025
>how crazy would i be to buy 183 acres in west va?
depends on how much it costs I reckon
>>
>>2279444
>implying /pol/ hasn't been the entrance for newfags instead of /b/ for at least 10 years
>>
>>2279564
$230k
>>
>>2279462
I have helped the same guy that walks aimlessly around the local plazas asking for money for the past 2 years. I got fed up and asked him if he even recognized me. He didnt. I was just a walking charity to this guy. A sap for all he could care. never helping them ever again.
>>
>>2279414
At least you’re not from central MD bro

But nah all of MD sucks it’s too expensive
>>
>>2279580
Maybe just buy less, for instance buy in a cheaper state if you can, and if you have to commute to work then I’m not sure.

But I’d buy less so you have more for your house. $70k seems not as good for your house. Maybe do $150k for land and $150k for your house or whatever you can manage. I just wouldn’t go too far with land when you need some nice things for your house.
>>
how do off-gridders go about without salt? I know it might sound silly, but how though? How can they properly can their goods when they don't have salt? I'm totally new to this and I'm genuinely curious
>>
>>2280884
Canning isn't everything. Root vegetables and winter squash can be stored in cool damp boxes, fruits and berries can be dried, meat can be dried or smoked, and other vegetables are used seasonally.
>>
>>2277226
so the losers who live here click on the bait
>>
>>2280884
They don't usually
Off grid doesn't mean completely cut off from society, it just means not connected to the electrical grid. Different people take it farther or shorter, but almost all of them will go to town once in a while to stock up on necessities. Might be once a week for groceries, might be once a year for bulk loads of salt, flour, fuel etc.
>>
>>2275630
this, if homelessness is the solution you might as well off yourself
maybe include some good suicide methods instead
>>
>>2279078
i come here to pretend on sunday nights when i don't want to go back to waging. it's like buying a lottery ticket. i do it for the fantasy.

my larp is living in western tennesee or kentucky but i have a wife and son and can never live that life
>>
>>2279445
Rat poison
Captcha: GNGRS
>>
>>2281963
>i have a wife and son and can never live that life
I don't understand how this is preventing you from doing that
>>
>>2275592
Reminder to any aspiring homesteaders expecting a real collapse to get something for entertainment. Playing cards, a chess board, a musical instrument, etc. My setup is sufficiently comfy so I’ve personally been stocking up on hardcover books for fun and future homeschooling. Today’s order was a few more Greek classics and some Tolstoy.
>>
Its probably gonna be sideways, apologise.
How do I explain this mess, desu growing tobacco as a houseplant has been a journey, the lowest part of the plant is the original growth
Unironically.
Why is she still growing? When I grew a few outdoors they croaked I early autumn, now it just keeps fucking going
>>
File: 20220112_103036.jpg (1.67 MB, 4032x1816)
1.67 MB
1.67 MB JPG
>>
So call me schizo, but I just don't have peace of mind given my situation:
>23 year old, live with parents
>Little bit over 12k in the bank currently
>Going down IT path, wanted to be a pentester eventually
>Noticing Fed's fuckery is destroying the dollar and might lead to Great Depression on steroids
>Want to take up activities that teach me at least basic prepping like gardening, storing nonperishable food somewhere in the house and most importantly learning from somebody who knows what they're doing
>Looking into a good survival school nearby, has a good instructor
>No chance in hell parents would allow me to go over a weekend or two to learn bushcraft / survival because it costs money, would be a waste of time in their eyes, stupid hobby or whatever they want throw to antagonize my non-normie activities. (But me going out with father's friend's son to destroy my lungs with hookah would be deemed an OK use of my time and money?)
>Probably wouldn't let me do any gardening or even let me spend fair sums of money just to have a basic backup storage of nonperishable food.

So all I can really do at this point is pray I can get a window of time where my parents go somewhere for a weekend or find a way to come up with some bullshit excuse to be gone a weekend or 2 just so I at least know the basics if shit goes 1929 on crack. I've also just deadass been considering hiding nonperishable foods in certain areas of my room that nobody even touches. That would at least make our situation stable for a period of time.
I'm not 100% certain shit will hit the fan, but I really like having insurance because life is cruel. What do anons? Am I just a paranoid-schizo or are my fears justified? I just kinda of really don't want my family to die prematurely over the Fed's horseshit and this joke of an economic system.
>>
>>2283642
>23 year old
>No chance in hell parents would allow me to go over a weekend or two
>>
>>2283642
>23 year old
>No chance in hell parents would allow me to go over a weekend or two
>been considering hiding nonperishable foods in certain areas of my room that nobody even touches.
Clean your room donate what you are not using at least once every 30 days. Then move out you absolute failure.
>>
>>2278262
being self sufficient in terms of income, just by living off the land is very hard if you dont have a large investment for land or equipment. but if you just want to feed yourself its easy as shit.
110 frost free days here. zone 3. tried to grow all my own vegetables. pretty easy. only bought oil, flour, spices, yeast shit like that. bought whole animals off farmers. $50 a month grocery bill.
>russet burbank will last a whole year if you remove the sprouts diligently
>spaghetti squash will also last a whole year too if well cured. can be peeled and eaten fresh like carrot sticks
>there are long storing versions of most vegetables that will last into the new year even in my short season. beets, carrots, mangels, tomatoes, turnips, parsnip, radishes, sunchoke even apples and tomatoes like giallo a grapolli.
>after that, there is sprouts, microgreens and fermented foods. container has to be airtight to last.
>one of my favorites is forced shoots. lots of perennials like rhubarb, dandelions, lovage, can be packed into pails with a little soil. whenever you want some shoots you just bring a pail indoors.
>all without canning or freezing
>i start harvesting outdoor shoots and shepards purse in april
>>
>>2283642
>>23 year old, live with parents
>>No chance in hell parents would allow me to go over a weekend or two
I use to be like you anon when I wanted to move in with my girlfriend. I just told them that's what I'm going to do at a specific date and they didn't say anything.
>>
>>2283660
>>2283915
sometimes you have to set your own path
>>
>>2277217
>1. california
KEK no fucking way in hell
>>
File: EvB18-dVgAEcNkR.jpg (1014 KB, 1536x2048)
1014 KB
1014 KB JPG
Where do I find based literature about raising raspberries and strawberries on my balcony?
>>
>>2275592
Do you guys think one could consistently grow oyster mushrooms on banana leaves?
>>
>>2284377
I dont think you be able to grow raspberry on a balcony. Its a cane fruit.
>>2284494
>>2284494
Yes should work.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (363 KB, 1200x630)
363 KB
363 KB JPG
>>2284377
literally home depot, they give you instructions on the back of the tab
>>
bump
>>
>>2279078
>>2279084
Been wanting to contriboot to this general for a while now.
A little background:

My wife, children and I live on 50 acres in zone 7b. Been at it about 3 years now. Mostly mature forest with some pasture I've been reclaiming. I harvest hardwood from the property for winter heat. Currently grow a smol garden just to cut down on grocery bill. Wife does lots of canning and preserving, she makes a bitchin salsa, lady ashburnham and homemade relish. We have 12 laying hens and a rooster and a few ducks. Just bought an incubator, going to try hatching our own this spring.

I want to keep expanding but damn, it's hard when I'm still unfortunately stuck working a full time job, and have young kids and babies. It gets overwhelming sometimes, but its rewarding most days. I've got a million and a half projects on the go all the time. Currently building a sawmill so I can build a barn/shop sometime within the next 10 years.

Main goals for this spring are to get our greenhouse set up, and a seperate shelter for the ducks as i want to raise some for meat. Currently were just housing them with the laying birds, but the coop is getting cramped.

I really want to learn more about agriculture and gardening. I'll admit I'm pretty much a noob but understand the basics. I want to be more efficient and have been reading a lot about no-till methods. I plowed a new 30 x 30 food plot just before winter set in, soil seems pretty sandy, and will definitely need help.

We have a couple tractors and attachments, and im an experienced mechanic/welder/fabricator

I welcome all questions and criticism, I'm trying to learn, but theres so much to learn sometimes I dont know where to start.

Pic related
>>
>>2285003
BASED
How big is your coop at the moment? How big are you planning on making the duck coop? More pics would be nice anon
>>
>>2285186
Coop is 8x12 with a small 8x12 run. We free range them for the most part though, only really use the run in the winter months. Were going to hatch another batch of laying hens this spring to double the flock. As it is right now I'm selling most of the eggs they lay while saving some for ourselves, which more than pays for their feed. The demand for free range eggs has surpassed what I was expecting and I have a few steady customers just from word of mouth. Duck eggs are big seller too

Still brainstorming ideas for a duck shelter. Maybe repurpose a portable garage frame and beef it up a little. Definitely something with a dirt floor, ducks are messy as all hell

Pic related, chicken coop
>>
File: _MG_6302.jpg (3.58 MB, 3888x2592)
3.58 MB
3.58 MB JPG
>>2285318
Pretty cozy coop for the chickens there!
You mentioned you've been researching no-till methods, I highly suggest Charles Dowding's work in that regard also.

While I don't unduly wish to kill other sentient creatures for my foods, I can appreciate that you provide a good home and life for the ducks, rather than resorting to factory farms for their meat.
I wish you all the best on your quest!

>picrel some of the ladies here
>>
>>2285318
Good looking dog anon.
>>
>>2277217
Upstate NY is shit for living off the grid.
>>
>>2279078
I just bought the property I plan to homestead on but haven't actually started yet
I need to go back to the city and work for a couple more years then I should be ok
>>
>>2285426
>Charles Dowding
Thanks, I'll look into him
I gotta have meat, but yeah I give them a good life. When the laying stop laying I'll try them in a slow cooker or for soup meat, or feed them to my dogs. I hate to see any waste. I think everybody should have a few chickens in the back yard.

I also hunt for meat. Usually send a few wild ducks to the freezer, maybe a partridge or two. Looking to bag my first deer this year too

Pic related, what I woke up to this morning. Deep freeze and blowing snow all night. Drifter nearly 2 feet in some places, so i got a few hours of plowing to do today after chores, then laying some tile in my mudroom this afternoon. Never laid ceramic before but I should be able to figure it out.

>>2285455
Thanks anon. Hes a good boy
>>
>>2279078
It's pretty much a larp. Property tax has pretty much killed the concept of sustenance farming. The best you can do is supplement an income with a homestead lifestyle and decrease your dependence on corporations and government. It's a good lifestyle, but most of the people who think they are going to go off grid and live independently of society aren't thinking very hard about what it entails.
>>
>>2279078
>am not trying to accuse this thread of larping
Bruh this thread is a larp containment zone. The whole purpose of this thread is for /pol/reddit tourists to stay contained in this thread and larp out their fantasies.
>>
File: meshtastic-ttgo-board.png (130 KB, 926x353)
130 KB
130 KB PNG
anyone using these for off grid comms?
>>
I like to dry tomatoes, but I've only done so on a small batch using the sun and oven. I plan to have alot more this summer, what could I use to dry them on a large scale?
>>
>>2285845
Recycled screen windows.
>>
>>2285856
Like just putting them on/between those and leaving them in the sun ? I was looking for a more machine-based solution, I've been doing in he sun but the space is limited. I'm okay to invest a bit into something that will help for the future
>>
I looked for a homestead thread a while back and couldn't find one. Glad to see one.

Why is it so hard to find good land? They also make it really difficult to get a loan for land that doesn't have electricity, sewage, water already.
Everywhere I've found is 5-10 acres with other homes right on the property line and no seclusion.
>>
>>2279025
How much does it cost? Why are you building a house if it has a cabin?
>>
>>2275592
larpsteaders btfo
>>
File: PSX_20211206_095216.jpg (1.04 MB, 1125x1500)
1.04 MB
1.04 MB JPG
Food dehydrator
I have a cheapie chinese 10 tray steel one I've had for years it's awesome
>>
>>2286194
Replying to>>2285845
>>
>>2285845
why couldn't you do a large-scale batch by sun?
>>
>>2286196
the sun isnt big enough to dehydrate more than 5 or 6 tomatoes
>>
>>2278262
homesteading isnt a larp, you cityfags are a larp. none of you have the tools, skills or money necessary to be a homesteader. but daydreaming is free as they say. the cold hard truth is if you weren't raised on a farm and all the base skills you need are not second nature, you wont be able to do it
>nb4 im gonna watch youtube
>>
>>2286199
It's not that difficult to learn get over yourself
>>
>>2286213
do you have $5k of tools and another $80k to make a homestead? let me guess, your just planning on borrowing the tools from another neighbor
>>
>>2286217
Yes I have $ 85k and a few tools
>>
>>2286217
The Injuns built houses and raised crops without dozens of metal tools
>>
Which crops have the highest caloric yield per square metre?
I'm assuming potatoes and corn, but what else?
>>
>>2278215
>Scams a very rampant with canning supllies. Especially in the last two yeas
This is concerning, what do you know about?
>>
>>2286738
than live like a shitskin, shitskin
>>
>>2286826
why overcomplicate your life?
>>
File: chief bungo.png (914 KB, 699x699)
914 KB
914 KB PNG
>>2286826
Who is wealthier, the man who goes to work every day for 50 years so that he can afford a house, a car, and to feed himself, and then at the end of it all still has to pay taxes to his overlords or else he loses everything?
Or the Injun who owns his home, owns his food, whose house, if completely destroyed, would only take a few months of effort to build back better than ever?
What we gain in ease of life comes at the cost of independence, and of our soul.
Go ahead and wage away for the next few decades. Live like a slave, slave.
>>
>>2286832
This.
It doesn’t take much to see how affected people are by inflation. Groceries are insane right now in price. Places are running out of food. It’s also healthier and feels better to eat food you grow. It’s also extremely important skills to have. When the economy collapses people will be dying everywhere, starving, and we will hear about it through the intermittent crackling on the radio from a nearly too distant tower.
>>
File: OIP (1).jpg (82 KB, 474x842)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
Has anyone else looked into banana yucca?
>seeds are edible
>fruit is edible
>leaves can be woven
>roots can be used as soap
>>
>>2286832
Based post.
>>
>>2286843
AZ boy here. We ave these boyyos everywhere where im at. Havent tried eating the fruit yet or made some soam, but the thread and organic needle are great.
>>
>>2287311
I'm in phx, I'm sure I've seen them before but there's a lot of similar-looking plants around, and I'd never heard of this one specifically before. I've never eaten any of it, I read that it's edible raw, but cooking the flesh of the fruit makes it sweeter. You can eat the seeds raw, but a fellow could also press them into a cake and cook them. It can grow anywhere in the state if the soil is right, which I think is pretty nifty. Assuming one could, having a dozen or so of these fellas growing sounds pretty nice. I think it only takes a few years to mature too.
>>
File deleted.
COanon here, looking at a off-grid property, no HOA, but it has no power or sewer lines, what do? I'd like to be able to do remote work and shitpost from there until ze cyber pandemic.
>>
>>2287459
Solar isn't exactly desirable, but it'd probably be a decent way to get power. If you don't want to connect to the power lines you can always fix yourself a chemical toilet.
>>
>>2287464
>Solar isn't exactly desirable
Yeah a line to connect to would be cool, but realistically, laptops and other electronics don't take much energy, it's mostly appliances that end up costing a lot.
>>
>>2286832
ibwent tobthe oilfield for a decade saved more money than you will ever make ans actually did what you faggots dream about all day here. i have had two different set of losers show up and want me to help them, but i hate city people and want you to die. you will never own shit, you do not have the ability to build shit, you will never grow shit but larp all you want. i own my land, i own my well, i own my house, i am great friends with my neighbors, i own my vehicles. keep daydreaming all you want. just for your post i went and put a padlock on my hydrant so all the totally self sufficient homesteaders cant take water anymore.
>>
>>2287544
fucking checked faggots
>>
>>2286832
and just so you know im wealthier, just my fucking gun collection is worth more than everything you own, larp on hombre
>>
>>2287459
obviously you havent sone your research, look into a getting well permit before you do anything. fyi gay broke ass water catchment is illegal in shitarodo
>>
>>2286199
That’s not true and you are a dickhead according to your posts here. People who grew up on a farm are going to be more likely to know the work involved, but there are several cases of people leaving the city to do it.

I grew up on a ranch, sister owns a homestead, and I’m a software engineer in the city looking to make my break.
All you need is a good realtor that’s done it before, youtube, and enough money for when you fuck up to learn from your mistakes.
You act like it’s the hardest thing to do what is natural to us.
>>
>>2275630
Grooming
>>
>>2277217
Hollywood you'll be a star
>>
>>2287988
>and I’m a software engineer in the city looking to make my break
Fuck off. We don't want you urban carpetbaggers shitting up Rural America. You will never be welcome here.
inb4
>b-b-but I vote red and won't bring my liberal politics with me
Just fuck off
>>
>>2287988
youtube is fine, as long as you're watching the videos, not making them (unless your bushradical, he's okay)
the trick is to just move out there and start small, forget about the term 'homestead'. you don't need to quit your day job, just stick with one project til it's done, before doing another.
gradually offset your food/energy consumption with what you can do at home.

But all that said, it's not an aspirational; the youtubers have managed to make it into some kind of marketing term, with their curated potemkin 'homesteads' it's a scam to generate ad revenue

>>2286199
It's seriously not that hard anon, no need to gatekeep. I found land, built a house, and moved out into the woods 3 years ago. and yes,l absolutely used youtube to learn all manner of things to DIY (plumbing, electrical, irrigation, solar, etc.. fuck i even learned how to drywall my garage and turn it into a gym). Wouldn't even begin to call it homesteading (again, that's marketing nonsense) but as far as hobbies, there's far worse ones to have.
>>
Anyone here into rabbitry?
>>
>>2288166
I grew up in a town of 288 people.
Sounds like your neighbors don’t like you if you have to lock up your water. Sad sour old lonely man all alone with no friends. Where are you at so I can buy the circle of property around you?
>>
>>2279365
>Homesteading or poorsteading is a fucking delusional larp
Not its not, not if you have enough land. My family are 3rd gen farmers and they have over 1k acres. HOWEVER, by my calculations, if you had 12 solid acres of good fertility in an anually watered area? Homesteading is more than possible. You need a certain quantity of land to make it work or else it wont at all. You definitely need an income from selling farmgoods though. Theres nonway around it, unless someone breeds all your animals for free.

Poorsteading though.. hmm.. idk how you would build a house LOL, if you did it cheap and illegally the cops would eventually getcha for the violations.
>>
>>2278262
>Growing food for the year round is difficult simply because of the work of preserving and planning involved
You can easily grow food year round with a couple of well-built, heated greenhouses. But really you dont have to, because as long as you make enough of a profit selling your harvests, you can just buy everything you need in the winter. But yeah if you want to be realy self sufficient, have greenhouses.

BTW, if you want to feed your poultry year round, you can have a large pond with fish stocks. That can keep your ducks alive without needing to buy them live protein. Everything else well just store from the harvest.
>>
>>2279078
What exactly in all of this is ''larping''? Growing veggies is larping? Having chicken is larping? Not having running water is larping? Guess I'm a fucking ''larper'' then.

Some of you /out/ists are truly insufferable. You spend your free time walking in nature with a backpack, acting like rugged mountain men and scoff at people who actually are able to live in nature.
>>
>>2288576
>unless someone breeds all your animals for free
After the initial cost, wouldn't you be breeding your own animals?
I'd figured that the feed and vets would be the kicker, though one could grow their own feed.
>>
>>2288658
i'm not sure how you do it down there anon, but around here we let the animals breed with themselves, and we stick to our wives/girlfriends.
>>
File: 636546546.jpg (31 KB, 474x379)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>2288660
Best you don't visit for too long in these parts
>>
>>2275592
Can you guys answer my thread here?: >>2288722
>>
>>2288661
fine fine, i'll fuck off back to the commonlands. you can keep your antonican clay.
>>
>>2288591
>You spend your free time walking in nature with a backpack, acting like rugged mountain men and scoff at people who actually are able to live in nature.
This is the most concise and accurate summary of this board ever.
>>
wanna run away, homeless already
was suppose to commune with group but they all flaked
fucking depressed
>>
while i'm here, /pol/ made a squatting thread
>>>/pol/357279039
some good info in there
assuming it doesn't get pruned
>>
>>2286192
>haha yeah let's go break-&-enter the houses of dangerous armed people who have been waiting for S to HTF for years, if not decades, and have been specifically preparing for the potentiality of armed robbery.
Genuine retard take. No one will mourn your death.
>>
File: index.jpg (76 KB, 640x480)
76 KB
76 KB JPG
I'm planning on buying a sprinter van, convert it into a small portable home and live in it most of the time. I already know how to do the insulation, woodwork and electrics, but I'm not sure how I'll fit everything I want. Can anyone recommend tricks to get more space? Also yes I really am planning on living in that van full time, unlike the instagram thots that give up after 2 years.
>>
File: 644487778879897.jpg (94 KB, 938x944)
94 KB
94 KB JPG
>>2289999
must be a good plan, what are you planning to do for cash?
>>
File: mongolian-yurts.jpg (284 KB, 600x401)
284 KB
284 KB JPG
I fucking refuse to be a wageslave, I'm going to save up money from welfare until I can buy some cheap land. Even just having a piece of land with no house where you can do whatever the fuck you want is better than bug life in the city.

I'm wondering what it would be like to set up a permanent camp on some land I bought, like what if I just bought one of those huge mongolian yurts? Has anyone here tried this or know anyone who has?
>>
>>2290286
Have you looked into rabbitry?
>>
>>2290289
Nope. Is it profitable? I get that a lot of people like rabbits and think they're cute, but I haven't considered them as a business option.
>>
>>2290292
Not for business as much as personal sustenance, though I'd wager there's a minor market for rabbit products. They don't take much space so they're a good option when you're looking at a small amount of land.
>>
File: 1472252461025.png (157 KB, 409x409)
157 KB
157 KB PNG
>>2290277
Checked, right now I'm working a delivery job (23.5CAD/h) so that within a year I'll be able to partially pay the brand new sprinter van (costs around 50k-60k total), I'm thinking this summer I'll be able to start working on the car. Once the sprinter van is fully paid for, is completely converted and I have enough money for a few decades worth of freedom, I'm off to live the greatest NEET lifestyle ever. Here are some calculations as to how much freedom a year of work earns me:
>Monthly costs: 35$ mobile + 200$ food + 50$ gas = 285$
>Monthly earnings after taxes: ((23.5 x 7 x 5 x 4) x 94.4) / 100 = 3105$
>Yearly profit earnings: (3105 - 285) x 12 = 33840$
>Year of work to years of freedom ratio: (285 x 12) x 33840 = 9.89
A single year of work (while living in my van) will earn me almost 10 YEARS of freedom, and that's me being generous with monthly spending and not including potential investments I could make. I didn't include some yearly or more costs since they're not significant on the long term. I don't buy that much food and I won't ever go to fast foods/restaurants. To give an estimation as to when I'll stop working altogether, I'd say in about 4-5 years I'll have enough money for 40 years of NEET life. If I ever need to work again for any reason, I can just work part time and still make more than enough money to sustain my life.
>>
>>2290299
I made an error in the calculations here
>Year of work to years of freedom ratio: 33840 / (285 x 12) = 9.89
>>
>>2290299
Sounds excellent friend
>>
>>2290299
Not gonna make it.
>>
>>2277217
Anything state other than Alaska being 1st is generally BS. Although AZ, UT, NM, and OR are acceptable in the top 10.
>>
>>2290299
Hope it works out for you Anon
>>
>>2275592
I've been interested in sustainable living for a while. I live in a city, but I'm slowly trying to incorporate aspects of it into my life. When the pandemic is over in my country, I'm hoping to buy a small block of land in the bush, and head there on weekends, and slowly live out my irl minecraft dreams by building a small, self sustaining cottage from scratch where I can larp as a homesteader for parts of the year. My current projects:

>Balcony garden for herbs and fruit
>Currently getting to the exciting part of making a sourdough starter; going to start baking with it in the next few days, hopefully leading to a constant source of fresh bread
>Getting really interested in shurbs (the drink) as a way or preserving fruit
I'm currently making the shrub with store brought fruit, but mint I grew myself, and my short term goal is to make one entirely of produce I grew myself
>Building a very small foundry to start converting my waste metal into metal ingots for future projects

Any other projects I might be able to start, lads? I really enjoy pursuing knowledge, and I think that this entire range of topics is a fuckload of fun. I'm thinking finding a way to produce my own sugar and vinegar might be a nice way to expand my options.

As an aside, I'm glad I found this thread; I've been searching forums, but the vast majority of them either descend into literal neo nazism within like a month, and haven't been touched since 2012, or they're the complete opposite and just a bunch of hipster people talking about getting in touch with nature by managing to not kill a monsterra that they then proceded to take a million insta pictures with.
>>
>>2279078
I'm definitely larping, but I'm pretty honest about it and preface my posts with it. I'm an apartment dweller, but I'm still trying to incorprate bits of sustainable living into my life, like gardens to grow my own produce, or trying to make my own shit like bread to reduce reliance on supermarkets.

Can post pics of my precious herby bois or my sourdough starter as proof, but they're underwhealming as fuck. Other shit like my preserving projects are basically just fruit in liquid, so wouldn't really prove shit either. I think anybody who is legitimately homesteading is most likely out doing their shit, not itt. That doesn't mean it's worthless though; the concepts seem to be pretty similar to small scale shit, just scaled up massively. Plus it's gonna be pretty good as a containment thread.
>>
>>2279459
No it isn't, and everybody on this board despises the threads that you start or the topics you want to discuss. Either assimilate, or go back to /pol/
>>
>>2290883
If you have a backyard, a few chickens would be pretty nice. If it's big enough, perhaps a small rabbit colony, or hutches, good way to get consistent meat on a small plot.
>>
>>2279078
I'm just doing what I can with the 700 square metre block of land I have.
>>
>>2290850
Why not?
>>
>>2284095
Memes aside, there's plenty of wilderness that isn't perpetually on fire.
>>
>>2277226
They are, but only specific parts of them. The bad impression you get is from the cancerous meme cities most people move to.
>>
>>2279084
/pol/ is filled with rich boomers and married men
>>
>>2283642

Start canning/pickling your own food is an easy start. I make some killer pickled red cabbage with onion, ginger, and jalapeño I use as a side for fish or put on tacos.

Also consider dollar cash averaging into crypto since its low. When I was broke and 23 I was putting in 50 bucks a week every Friday when I got paid. It seemed like nothing and it was 2014, but it certainly worked out in the long term. Given your concern about the Fed investing in crypto or precious metals is something you should consider, along with developing your skills and food supply.
>>
>>2275592
Hey y'all, had seen a link in the past posted on this board that I can't find again. Content included outdated webdesign with dark green background, and instructions on how to build a log cabin with a small porch and overhang. Anyone know what I'm talking about?
>>
>>2275630
There is no legal problem with an 18 year old running away from home and everyone who views this site has to be 18 or older. It's not OP's fault if someone lies about their age to gain unlawful entry into this site.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.