[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 103 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1640007183591.jpg (2.46 MB, 1512x2016)
2.46 MB
2.46 MB JPG
was cleaning out in the barn and found these two haglöf external frame packs, orange one is an alaska i think but the small green one i dont know what it is
gonna try it out as oposed to my regular jääkäri s next time im packing
orange haglöf alaska is pretty rare if im not mistaken
anyone know anything about the smaller one?
aluminium frame on alaska and either aluminium or steel as best i could tell on the smaller
thanks for reading my blog
resume backpack thread
>>
Very cool OP. I've got a dörfbän and a splöngït that I take camping pretty often. Have a görpdöng too but I don't use it much
>>
>>2268308
On the left:
Style: 8/10; Usability/Comfort (fully loaded): 7:10
On the right:
Style: 10/10; Usability/Comfort(fully loaded): 5/10
>>
backpacks are for /larp/ers /out/doorsmen satchels and haversacks.
>>
all I know about the smaller one is that it would be a nice gift for your daughter or niece when she goes backpacking with you
external frames are nice and are getting dumb harder to find for a reasonable price
HODL no sell
>>
>>2268391
ill be the judge of comfort thanks, but the smaller one is quite a small frame made for probably a child or a woman
>>2268446
yeah gonna get right on making myself a nice little daughter....
although i am very glad that the previous owner of my house left these in the barn
>>
File: IMG_20211220_164023.jpg (4.15 MB, 2448x3264)
4.15 MB
4.15 MB JPG
My Savotta 339 from this afternoon, just a superb pack
>>
>>2268469
Love that pack. I think it's discontinued? I was surprised how much volume it holds, too.
>>
>>2268455
That's great, be a family man (:
>>
>>2268501
Their website still showcases it so I wouldn't know, I know the demand is high tho, sites like Varusteleka are always low on stock haha
>>
>>2268455
>Hasn't used them
Get back to me when you realize I was being generous about comfort.
>>
>>2268614
I believe it is discontinued.
Which is pretty fucking retarded given it was one of their most popular line of backpacks.
Hard to say where they will continue, the military contract seems extremely lucrative for them so I think it's unlikely they will ever go back to doing civilian packs beyond the token offering they have right now. A shame, because they were some of the best on the market (and there is a vast hole that Savotta's older civilian external frames once occupied, which were discontinued I think about 6 years ago)
Does anyone actually own one of the new duffel bags? Seems like a strange idea
>>
>>2268396
why ? Are they better ?
>>
Still waiting on my MLD Core.
>>
>>2269490
No I was taking the piss.
Backpacks are perfectly fine.
Satchels and haversacks are nice too if you dont need to carry as much crap with yah. Personally I use an 18L pack and a small haversack for gathering wild edibles along the way.
>>
File: 1620037268999.png (1.24 MB, 1200x1200)
1.24 MB
1.24 MB PNG
Savotta Jaakari M
or
Kaarrimor Predator 45?

Gentlemen, I can't decide. Im afraid the predator will be too big, but the jaakari will be too small. I'm going to use it for overnight trips in winter (-10x)
- What do you guys think? Does anyone have experience with both?
>>
>>2270777
Predator is extremely versatile, with side pockets it's absolutely fucking massive, without, you can sinch it down a lot lot smaller than you'd expect
I would say get a sabre instead but if you definitely plan on using the molle then sure
>>
File: 00072231070606.jpg (242 KB, 1500x1500)
242 KB
242 KB JPG
>>
>>2271006
what did they mean by this?
>>
I'm looking for a pack that I can use on two to three day fall/winter /out/ings. I think an external frame with 50-60L capacity would be good, but I'm inexperienced, so it's difficult to say what would and wouldn't be a worthwhile investment.

>>2268469
I've been looking at the Savotta 339. Could you give some insight into what makes this a superb pack to you?
>>
Anyone here use Mardingtop packs? How do they hold up in the field?
>>
>>2268310
Never heard of those packs before. Mind posting some pics?
>>
>>2271793
Mil-tec tier. Chink stuff aimed for airsoft/hiking on-trail. The price is reasonable at least for what it is.
>>
>>2271956
My first pack was a 36L Mil-Tec. Made my back hurt even after 6-hour dayhikes with only a few kilos of gear.
>>
File: ColemanTableTopGrill.jpg (155 KB, 1280x720)
155 KB
155 KB JPG
Eur/out/s - ever hear of a Czech brand called 'Boll'?
I bought a 55l pack from them a while ago but they disappeared from the market. Any info as to reputation?
>>
File: Gecko.jpg (144 KB, 1100x770)
144 KB
144 KB JPG
>>
File: alpinii.jpg (413 KB, 1536x2048)
413 KB
413 KB JPG
Alpini canvas rucksack, pretty solid. Kind of want to buy a second one to modify with gator clips and better straps but solid strap
>>
>>2271996
God this looks so gay
>>
>>2271981
>they disappeared from the market.
https://www.boll.cz/
That?
Seems to be the local backpack manufacturer.
If they are anything like my local backpack manufacturer, the quality will be good but the models were last revised 10 years ago.
But I can see that much like my local manufacturer, they have photos that focus in weird tiny details on the backpack (or other product) but have nothing in the way of specifications of the materials used. Fucking weird.
>>
>>2272074
Yes, sorry, meant to say they disappeared from the market here. Not carried in shops, and the store I bought mine at went out of business.
It feels like a very heavy-duty pack.
>>
>>2272077
>Yes, sorry, meant to say they disappeared from the market here. Not carried in shops, and the store I bought mine at went out of business.
Pretty usual for those smaller manufacturers. Even inside the country they operate in.
For example, the one in my country used to have a pretty nice partnership with a country wide sport goods shop (that chain by itself had some 30-40 stores in the country and a handful in other countries), suddenly the sport chain was sold and now you can only find them in literally 15 or 20 small shops around the country.
>>
>>2268391
>style
wut? This isn't /fa/, you glamp faggot.
>>
File: IMG_20211227_104950.jpg (2.29 MB, 2448x3264)
2.29 MB
2.29 MB JPG
>>2271575
It's a sturdy little gem.

Pros :
- huge space inside, up to 65 liters eazy.
- no fancy bajillion pocket - three pouches and that's it.
- sturdy as a mf. Heavy paraffin-treated cotton. Anyone who tells otherwise is a liar or an imbecile.
- steel external frame, designed as to make the pack stands on its own, like magic !
- comfy. Nice old timey aesthetic.

Cons :

- the super steel external frame comes unfortunately at a cost, and it is weight. This baby is 2kg and can be quite bulky.

Overall it's nice for 2-3 days trip (and at 175 $ you're getting a bang for your buck), but for longer than that I'd trade with an ultra-light Osprey "SpaceMarine"™ or whatever they're called any day of the week. Not shilling for Savotta here, it's not the best for every situation, but sure is nice within its limits
>>
File: range.jpg (368 KB, 853x1280)
368 KB
368 KB JPG
>>
>>2271260
rope bag. also good for fish.
>>
File: 8.png (1.32 MB, 900x900)
1.32 MB
1.32 MB PNG
>>
>>2272360
I have one too, the longest I used it was 7 day hike in the Pyrenees (around 10kg load). It's a nice pack indeed but I wish it had a hip belt. Or maybe I didn't adjust it properly, do you have tips about this ?
>>
>>
>>2271996
Just like young Anakin
>>
>>2274137
Gonna get far in those tight black jeans
>>
File: 1622829969591.jpg (134 KB, 800x800)
134 KB
134 KB JPG
i want the ability to live out of a backpack if need be, in case i lose my home suddenly or become lost somewhere. what kind of pack would prove useful for this?
>>
>>2275237
looks like you've found a mystery ranch pack!

solid choice for taking loads like your dear old mum
>>
>>2268308
i wanna buy my friend pic related, he is a newbie and has never camped but wants to, me too, i just went 5 times, it s a military backpack, 50 liter, 35 euros made by MILTEC made out of polyester.
anybody has any experience with those? can any anon give me some advice? i think that 30 kg it not enough space, every time i go i carry many things including food and extra clothes.
so 50 liters would be optimal.
this is the website i am getting it from:
https://www.italiamilitare.it/abbigliamento-militare/Zaino-Militare-MilTec-50-Litri-Nero.html
>>
>>2275877
Avoid miltec backpacks for hiking. They are literally school bags with MOLLE.
You must be eurofag. Try Decathlon, prices are cheap, gear is ok for novice and you have a wide range of packs to choose. For your pal I would try one of these:

https://www.decathlon.it/p/zaino-trekking-travel100-40-litri/_/R-p-303040

https://www.decathlon.it/p/zaino-caccia-50l-verde/_/R-p-166791
>>
>>2271850
Yeah man I'll post when I get home. Which ones do you want to see? I also have a dïpdög and a jëppydørp
>>
>>2275877
> it s a military backpack, 50 liter, 35 euros made by MILTEC made out of polyester.
Like the other Anon said, grab something off Decathlon for around the same price.
Go for 40-60L.
The 50L hunting one from Decathlon from what I've heard is not great (bit uncomfortable), but it's not terrible either. And it looks tacticool!
If you guys are just starting I doubt you'll spend more than one hour with the pack on your back, so it's fine.

https://www.decathlon.it/p/zaino-mh100-40l/_/R-p-177211?mc=8572948
Is also an option.
>>
>>2276438
hey man, different anon thinking about buying that backpack, what would be the advantage of the Decathlon backpacks over the miltec kinda backpacks from a design perspective? I'm thinking about short, light hikes and 3-5 nights camping
>>
>>2275877
don´t buy manchild autist bag it has always been a meme for a reason
>>
>>2276694
Much better ergonomy, quality control, more practical design(Obviously this can be different from one model to another), you have a physical store where you can go and make reclamations or get your item fixed.

Miltec backpacks and Decathlon backpacks both are Made in China (Some backpacks from Decathlon are made inside Europe), so don't expect the best quality on the world, but at least Decathlon details what you are into.
Only people I know that has used miltec succesfully are airsoft players that wanted to make a cheap costume for their matches and competitions, and army soldiers that were doing desk job in the HQ and wanted something in Olive camo and cheap to move documents/ keep them organized that was not a jansport schoolbag.

For people interested in getting a "military look", there are brands like Helikon Tex or 5.11 that do the job much better than Miltec (the only advantage in Miltec is a low price). If you want what professional soldiers use, you will have to go with Osprey, Savotta, Mystery Ranch... brands that are not cheap...or go to military surplus stores like Sportman's Guide or Varusteleka.

And after so much rambling, a very good multiday backpack is the Kelty Coyote 65L. Also you can go to Decathlon for a budget friendly alternative like in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLwrIANtRtw
>>
>>2276917
This guy packs.
Get a MOLLE rucksack,ILBE,or 3 day assault pack if you want something tacticool. If not go with a kelty/gregory/etc.

Helikon tex makes awesome gear but the prices are adjusted accordingly. Not much experience with mystery ranch/OR/osprey.
>>
Bought a black backpack. Did I fuck up? Does it absorb a lot of heat during summer?
>>
File: pic (56).jpg (27 KB, 480x480)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
>>2276903
so MILTEC is shit in general?
or you are just talking about that bag in particular
>>2276519
>>2276438
tnx for the advice guys
>>
>>2276519
>If you guys are just starting I doubt you'll spend more than one hour with the pack on your back, so it's fine.

usually when i go i stay at least overnight, but i wanna be able ti camp and trek for at least 3 days in the future, and i wanna bring him with me.

the 1st times i went with my more experienced friend he brought most of the stuff, so i am not sure about the volume problem, is 40 liters enough for 3 nights outside?
>>
>>2277173
Depends on the climate and the place. 40 liters backpack at late spring in Florida is a feasible goal for 3 days as long as you have access to clean water. 40 liters during winter in Scotland is asking for troubles.

60-70 liters tends to be the sweet spot for multiday hiking. Of course this limit depends around what stuff are you bringing.
>>
File: 1615379145925.jpg (88 KB, 460x1186)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
>>2277173
>is 40 liters enough for 3 nights outside?
Depends a lot on what you're carrying.
For example, I just tried with my old supermarket gear (as in a 10€ 15ºC sleeping bag and a 15€ tent I got at the supermarket years ago for my first time camping), can get both inside my equally old 25-30L backpack from LIDL; tent poles go outside, bottom in a bottle pocket (if the pack has them) and held firmly with the compression strap, the tent "tube" can be folded in half and above the tent and sleeping bag there's still space for six 1.5L bottles upright. (picrel just to give you an idea)

If you have reasonably decent gear (smaller tent, a sleeping bag that compresses well, etc.) you would have even more free space
But if anything, I'd rather err by excess (i.e. I'd rather get a pack that is slightly too big than one that is slightly too small).
I would go with 50-65L until I'm really sure about what I have to take and how much space all the stuff takes. (60-65L would be a really safe bet)
>>
I am looking for a backpack for hiking in winter (and for 2-3 day hikes in the summer). Currently I am eyeing the Fjällräven Kaipak 38L since it is a simple toploader that does not have any zippers (they tend to break on me, and if a zipper has to be replaced you might as well buy a new backpack).
Do you guys have any other recommendations? This one so far seems to suit my needs the most but I'm curious if I missed some models.
>>
>>2277299
I'd strongly recommend a jëppydørp or a dörfbän. Both only about 40L but I've had them for years and I swear by them.
>>
>>2274137
I'm eyeing an Aiguille Midi SP myself, its a bit expensive but its really high quality and imo looks great, simple top loader with 2 water bottle holders

Currently I use a Fjallraven Vardag as my daypack and while their stuff is good there's definitely some fashion tax going on, it tends to be more expensive than I think its worth imo
>>
I'm looking for a small/medium backpack that says "I'm a carpet-munching butch dyke that uses a backpack instead of a purse, and I love kayaking." Any suggestions? Asking for a friend.
>>
File: 20220106_031904.jpg (910 KB, 2048x1152)
910 KB
910 KB JPG
Camping/hiking trip from a month ago, good weather is something I miss
>>
>>2279031
Fjällräven Kånken
>>
I’m thinking about getting a Savotta backpack as a gift for my bf. He loves the outdoors and we go for walks and hikes a lot. The thing is he uses his backpacks for uni, too, kinda into the military/tactical look, so I thought maybe instead of the Savotta 339 (because of the aluminium frame) maybe a Jääkari would do it? I the size M? Or would you think it might look “too much outdoors-like” for uni-use? I bet he’d love both, I find the Savotta 339 to be looking nicer, but I’m intimidated and also can’t ask him cause it’s gonna be a surprise :S
>>
>>2279453
The Savotta 202 definitely looks normal enough for casual use and I would imagine it does well for day trips. Maybe have a look at those. The Savotta 339 would be pretty damn big for uni use (it's like 60L).
>>
Thanks for the reply, I had checked that one out before but it looks kinda plain compared to the other ones. You’re def right about the 339, that’d just be too much
>>
>>2279538
and too heavy and cumbersome, the frame is steel not aluminium, not the most practical pack for university
>>
>>2268308
>jääkäri s
I love the frame on the L
>>
>>2279618
I ordered the Jääkari M now and I think even if he won’t use it for daily activities, it’s still a pretty cool hiking backpack. Thanks a lot for the replies :D
>>
File: 1615316693616.png (880 KB, 959x735)
880 KB
880 KB PNG
Bought a karrimor from their website, turns out the import fee from UK to EUR is more than half the price of the bag itself....

Now i have to wait 10 extra days for them to return the fucking bag so i can then order it again and wait another 10 days. FGUCK FUCK
>>
File: 1617621182925.jpg (209 KB, 982x1282)
209 KB
209 KB JPG
I'm a skinny fuck and a lot of bags I've tried on don't fit me around the waist. Do I need to buy a fucking woman's bag, or are there any bags out there with a greater degree of adjustability? I already started lifting.
>>
>>2279051
what pack?
>>
>>2280968
the pattern is a give away
>>
>>2280970
not really into camo patterns, it kinda looks like swiss camo to me but not really.
>>
>>2280968
The legendary Belgian Rucksack.
>>
>>2280973
Incorrect. You did national identification in conscription, right? That's clearly Belgian
>>
What's the actual difference between packs that are thinner and taller vs the boxier type? Is it personal preference?
>>
>>2280981
Yes, and how you load the weight
You want heavy closer to you
>>
>>2280981
Boxier types give more freedom of movement to your head and make easier to not get entangled with plants/trees in jungles. That is why the ALICE pack was made with a lower profile so soldiers could move better the head with the helmet and avoid messing around with the Vietnam vegetation.

Taller and thinner ones gives you more freedom of movement to your arms and as another anon said, it packs your stuff closer to your spine. Mountaineers prefer this style.
>>
Convince me to buy or not buy this pack. Tatonka lastenkraxe, with the packsack 2.

I currently got an old and busted Osprey Xenith 88, but I want a solid frame one for the summer. Also unironically for grocery shopping, hauling shit around town, stuff like that.
>>
File: deerstand .jpg (235 KB, 1080x810)
235 KB
235 KB JPG
>>2271996
I actually got one of these for Christmas one year. Never used it until the last couple of years, turns out it's a legendary deer stand bag. Holds 4-6 hours worth of snacks and shit along with extra gloves, a heavier hat than I'm already wearing, a pack of broadheads and my flashlight.
Throw a couple of 9mm mags on the front molle webbing just to take that weight off my belt.
It's still fucking gay though.
>>
File: alice medium.jpg (178 KB, 810x1080)
178 KB
178 KB JPG
>>2268308
US military surplus medium Alice pack and 2nd gen pack frame.
Total: $60 - 120.
Expected life span: If well maintained, longer than your life.
I've had this for almost a decade.
The frame is newer, my old one was a 1st gen, the kidney pad was fucking bullshit.
Sometimes, a thing isn't broke despite an entire industry existing to fix it.
>>
File: 3hevtb.jpg (60 KB, 405x460)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
>>2268310
those sound like very nice packs anon
>>
>>2282347
are you homeless?
if so why not buy a tent first to live innawoods at an exit in the shitty.
>>
>>2282347
>Also unironically for grocery shopping, hauling shit around town, stuff like that.
It always sounds like a better idea than it actually is.
For example, you end up looking like a giant dork when you enter the supermarket with a fuckhuge bag.
It's also probably not as comfortable as you might think, you often get way more weight in groceries than you think.

Although I'll admit when I go shopping for small stuff (e.g. go buy some cans of tuna; go buy a couple isobutane canisters) I tend to take a 15L folding backpack. Not comfortable, (damn thing has no padding anywhere) but nicer than having a shopping bag in my hand that has nearly no weight to it and that is so small that I don't know if I carry it on my hand or just let the bag hang.
I think the problem is a sprinkle of autism..
>>
>>2279051
funky camo, very /fa/. Would be fun on those, go out, get drunk-trips
>>
I don't really understand external frame packs.
The extra space you get inside is marginal, they tend to sit further behind you, they snag on things.

Maybe you can use them for rucking awkward gear and wear the bag on your chest.
I'm not a light mortar team, if you are then fine.

Apparently they ventilate better, but I think older internal frame ones just didn't ventilate well.
I use the internal frame in my pack to brace my laptop, very hard to do otherwise.
To do this use a large hard plastic "V" and drop it between your internal frame.

They are aesthetic, undoubtedly.
>>
>>2282722
>doing something sensible is uncool
Get fucked, normies live hand to mouth and never buy enough to need a bag- they also are physically weak and can't ruck.
>>
>>2282722
>It always sounds like a better idea than it actually is.
I know it's a good idea, because I already do this with my Osprey Xenith. Works just fine, I don't care what other people think. They can carry their eight bags of groceries in the shitty plastic bags all they want. I'm using my backpack.

>>2282715
No, I just need/want a new backpack.
>>
File: 1613645466778.jpg (31 KB, 500x750)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>2282818
>I know it's a good idea, because I already do this with my Osprey Xenith. Works just fine
Shit..if it works for you, go.buy your new damn toy, anon. See if I care.

>They can carry their eight bags of groceries in the shitty plastic bags
>I'm using my backpack.
The binary system is a psyop anon, there's always a 3rd option no one talks about.
>>
>>2282449
Thanks I like them a lot
>>
>>2282373
>60$
When you got it over a decade ago
>120$
Now you're talking 2020s prices
>>
File: 20220108_113305.jpg (1.13 MB, 1728x2304)
1.13 MB
1.13 MB JPG
Can anybody reccomend a daypack between 20-25 liters of volume? I work in forestry, it would be mainly used for carrying my foodstuff/smaller tools and a jacket maybe
>>
I'm about to buy a Mystery Ranch UA21 because I need to take clothes on camping trips and my cheapo REI backpack's drawstring broke on the 3rd use. Will it be nice?
>>
>>2282363
Black sun patch makes you look like a fucking retard
>>
>>2282849
>The binary system is a psyop anon, there's always a 3rd option no one talks about.
I see old ladies pulling those around with them in the summer, but it's impossible to trek those around here in the winter, too much snow.

Maybe I will buy a new toy. Yeah. Maybe I will.
>>
Anyone have any experience or insight into TT Raid pack? Looking for multi day hike use
>>
>>2283420
I just got a mystery ranch pack. You’ll be happy.

Have owned Mammut and Osprey. Initial impression of MR is good. Wouldn’t buy Osprey.
>>
File: 1616637590906.jpg (31 KB, 738x416)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>2268308
bros. I have a 40L osprey. Works great for overnighters and such. One day I aspire to do something like a 5 day backpacking trip. Will I need a new backpack or can I just attach the excess food and bulk to the sides of my pack when that time comes, then move it inside as I eat through the supplies?
>>
File: 1638996477852.jpg (805 KB, 1024x641)
805 KB
805 KB JPG
>>2283427
It's okay anon. Some of us have to be cowards.
I appreciate you taking on that role so the rest of us can live our convictions and not just larp on the internet about it.
>>
>>2283071
$120 for a pack and frame that will last long enough to give it your grandkids in your will?
I assert that this is still the best bang for your buck by a long shot.
>>
>>2282373
>9lbs for the pack alone
Not a gram counter but this seems silly. My LARP pack, a Savotta 339, is almost half that and just as sturdy.
>>
File: 463455e18546f7762c.jpg (123 KB, 817x1000)
123 KB
123 KB JPG
>>2283427
My same thought, but people who unironically use it >>2283731 can't be helped
>>2283733
I got the Finnish rucksack, new, for 63 $
ALICE in 2020s is unfortuantely dead
it should not cost 120 for the whole thing, the main appeal of it was the size strength for the price
and I have one, and I have an Italian clone of it- also cost 60
it's nice but it's not supposed to be 120 $
>>
>>2283738
>just as sturdy.
Oh hell yeah I go to second hand stores and see 40 year old Savotta 339s in working condition all the time.
You fucking goofball.
>9lbs
I call bullshit. Feels like half that.
Mainly, if you're counting ounces you need to either be a female on a very long ruck or crossing a continent with water in-tow.
For 99.99% of /out/ related needs, the medium Alice is overkill.
Stop giving them your money for shit you don't need.
>>
File: ifuckfrance.jpg (102 KB, 755x1024)
102 KB
102 KB JPG
>>2283748
>people who unironically use it can't be helped
Literally a religious and cultural symbol for millions of people.
>symbols of the European diaspora's resistance against globohomo and their complete eradication, be the cause communism, Jews or whatever, is like soooo gay you guys.
Tell your mulatto grandkids I said hi. Anyway.
>$120
I was pretty clearly stating that as the upper limit for frame and pack.
I paid almost nothing for mine. $37 I think? Surplus by my old house gave 10% discount to vets, 30% to combat vets.
That's a large you have there. Large is great but really you need 65L of space? The fuck are you rucking, your spring and summer wardrobes?
The same space as the medium (40L) with a frame starts at $350 from most brands. I cannot find a non-surplus pack and frame for anything close to $120.
>>
>>2283810
Dude, relax. the 339 is an updated model of a design from the 50s. Why would there be 40 year old ones in second hand stores? This particular model hasn't been out that long. Regardless, it's not a surplus item, so I don't suspect it will be in your American goodwill anytime soon.

>>2283810
>Mainly, if you're counting ounces you need to either be a female on a very long ruck or crossing a continent with water in-tow.
Yeah, sure.

>Stop giving them your money for shit you don't need.
Who is "them"? Some Finnish workers? What's the problem?

>I call bullshit. Feels like half that.
Okay, then you weight it. There are multiple makes of the Medium ALICE and lots of different components, but I'm just going off what buscrafting forums say.

>>2283748
This looks cool. I have the Swedish LK35 and a Norwegian army "Telemark" pack, but I'd love to try that one out, although the fabric looks like it would go bad eventually. Where'd you find it?
>>
>>2283815
>cring /pol/ LARP
Yeah yeah, hyperbola and all that
You can be for something without being cringe about it, you know ?
>why the fuck do you need a big pack ??
Ah I see you haven't taken a girl hiking before. Tell your non-existent "purebred" children I said hello
I also said I had an Italian version of the ALICE medium pack, guess you glossed over that in your hyperbolic vision

Calm down, lad.
>>
>>2283821
>lk35
I got that too. It is a nice pack and the fact that it has trippled in value since I bought it makes it even nicer.
>>
>>2283731
This shit is cringe
>>
>>2282363
>Buy generic communist chinese-made satchel owned by gem company
>Slap /pol/ black sun patch on it
>Claims to be anti-globohomo and anti-gem
>Poetry
Unless a German or whatever Betty Ross sewed that patch by hand, that makes it even funnier.
Go back to /pol/ or /x/
>>
>>2283821
Jesus Christ man how hard is it to follow along.
>my 339 is just as sturdy as that piece of military issue gear that won't die no matter how shitty you treat it.
All I was responding to my man.
>yeah, sure
You're starting to sound chubby, anon. How many pounds is too many for your fragile body to carry?
>them
The companies that make shit gear out of cheap materials, assembled in China, sold to you for 10x the cost of production in order to justify the marketing budget that made you think you needed it in the first place.
>then weigh it
I will. I need to get my fishing scale out of the shed it's buried. I walked out and looked in and figured it should probably wait until I have time to put everything back once I've found it.
>I'm just going off what bushcrafting forums say.
Yeah I'm just going off of personal experience. I've bought and been gifted bags from most of the major US manufacturers. Osprey, Meditac, fucking Arc'teryx. I bought the marketing pitch. OP asked our opinion. Just trying to save him the same waste of time and money on "featherlight" rucks that don't hold up.
>>
File: 1638810858519.jpg (146 KB, 632x960)
146 KB
146 KB JPG
>>2283822
>You can be for something without being cringe about it, you know?
Show us your /out/ patches anon. Lmfao.
>Ah I see you haven't taken a girl hiking before.
You're supposed to be 18 to post here. My wife has no interest in rucking or camping.
>nonexistent
My oldest was born when I was a 22 year old Marine. In 2006.
I won't tell them the homo on the internet said hello.
>>
>>2283827
>cringe
In my experience, people who call those with convictions "cringe" are fat redditors.
>>
File: wes watson.jpg (183 KB, 1280x1280)
183 KB
183 KB JPG
>>2283828
>buy
Why can't you read? There's a post under the picture. Give it a whirl.
>a German
The postmark was Austria, actually.
>go back to /pol/
Imagine thinking NS was quarantined to /pol/
>>
>>2283830
You're the one with a Chinesium fanny pack. I thankfully don't own any of that nor would any friend or family give such trash as a gift, doubly so for Schwarze Sonne patches that are, let's be honest, probably also made in the east.
>You're starting to sound chubby, anon.
Just a backpacker. ALICE is a nice pack, but not something you want to thruhike with. Again, not a gram counter, just speaking from personal experience. Thankfully I'm able to see that the ALICE has its uses, but I have money to afford European made packs.
>The companies that make shit gear out of cheap materials, assembled in China, sold to you for 10x the cost of production in order to justify the marketing budget that made you think you needed it in the first place.
The Savotta pack in question is made in Finland and Estonia.
>I bought the marketing pitch.
That's cool. I never did. I've handled Osprey, Arc, and MR packs, but never would consider purchasing them.

ALICE is fun, but there are better surplus packs if you want to go that route.
>>
File: 59739.jpg (329 KB, 1100x1360)
329 KB
329 KB JPG
>>2283418
I'd take a look at small civilian or military frontloaders, mostly for the tool access if I had a nice job in the forest. I'm usually not for using milsurp as it is usually too heavy and you don't need the durability, but the durability might actually be handy for your forestwork and the tools and you will probably not walk that much so that the weight will be an issue. Most civilian frontloaders I know are for hiking or climbing and they will ofc also look like a recreational backpack so it would be up to you what style you like.

This eberlestock switchblade has front access so you can rip it open and access your food and tools right away without fishing for them in the pack, you can put drinks in the side pockets for fast access and you can put bungee cord through the molle at the front, you can then put your jacket through the bungee cord to let it dry externally. Tasmanian tiger TT TAC MODULAR SW PACK 25 works in a similar way and I'm sure there are even cheaper ones with similar funcionality. Just to give you and idea
>>
>>2283832
>wal-mart
>anti-globohomo
>kid wearing minions shirt
>anti-globohomo
>joined military well after GWOT started
>should have know better
>claims to be anti-globohomo
the worst thing in this world is a hypocrite anon
>You're supposed to be 18 to post here. My wife has no interest in rucking or camping.
Irrelevant response and keeping her weak so you can look stronger, eh? Very Athens
>when I was a 22 year old marine
Hope he's actually your's
>>2283838
>tattoos
Yikes. If you're going to larp as a neo-nazi like how you make your kids do >>2283832 you could atleast LARP the fact that tatoos were frowned upon

You really sound like a degenerate /pol/ user.
>>
>>2283835
Yeah I'm out of shape :(
>>
>>2283861
It's okay, people on /pol/ who discuss with no one asking about racial purity are usually inbred hicks with mutt thrown in there but they dont like to discuss it
>>
>>2283427
Stop caring what other people like, fag.
>>
>>2283828
>got one of these for christmas
>buy
what did he mean by this
>>
File: 165165456645.jpg (107 KB, 800x800)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
>>2283488
>too much snow.
allow me to introduce myself
>>
>>2284172
I should get a sled, yes, but it would have to be for the purpose of going /out/ in the winter, in which case I'd need a whole lot more gear and experience first. As for here in town, it's a mix of snow, ice, and asphalt littered with gravel. A cheapo one would be fine but if I'm getting a sled it'll be a neat one I can take skiing.
>>
>>2284194
well if we're talking about practicality, get one of those carts and add skis to the wheels. like a snow mobile so you can easily take it on asphalt and through snow.
>>
>No.2279904 about the question considering a Jääkari from Savotta for the boyfriend; it arrived and I opened the package to check before gifting it to him: it looks SO GOOD!!! Like, pure quality and the dark-ish green colour!!! Can’t wait to hand him the present. Wanted to thank everyone who replied :D
>>
>>2284247
Well that was wholesome,
I'm sure he'll like it !
>>
>>2284247
Cute if true.
>>2284167
Either way, he bought some Chinese made black sun patch, then proceeded to lambast others for purchasing Euro made gear over some shitty mutt pack, which makes it all the funnier.
>>
>>2283838
>wes watson
this guy is a gynocentric mentally ill beaten dog and the same people who idolise him watch queer shows like Sons of Anarchy and Peaky Blinders
>>
>>2282363
>>2271996
Work gave me one and I put medical stuff in it, plus I ccw in the pouch with the foam pad on it
>>
>>2283738
Dyel cope
>>
>>2284356
>thinking backpacking with non ergonomic weight is the same as lifting
dyel?
>>
>>2284167
so he has friends who buy stuff that he allegedly hates and he wears it proudly
either say ironic and sad
>>2284303
it fits the image, doesnt it

>>2284247
Very nice (:
>>
>>2268308
Want to get into light backpacking this year. Need to carry first aid supplies, one of those small cocoon tent things, food for an overnight trip, and ham radio equipment. What size backpack should I go for?
>>
>>2284473
I guess you could achieve that with a 40L backpack. I would go with 50-60L if you are going to bring more gear like jacket, lantern, backpack...
>>
>>2284500
backpack´s raincover*
>>
>>2284473
50-60
>>
Tips on cleaning a vintage pack?
Pretty sure it's some kind of cotton canvas, has rust discolouration and some staining. Grey in colour.
Metal is in fine condition, not perfect but serviceable. Leather could do with a clean up, don't want to attack it with cleaners until I know what I'm doing though.

Anybody got any tips? It's an extremely comfy Bergans pack that is loosely the same as the Norwegian "telemark" packs. I'm currently just planning dish soap and a brush.
>>
>>2283854
>funny picture of kids holding up numbers and one giving an ave
>thinks these are my actual children posted on /out/ (or any board)
I joined the USMC in 1998. It was a homoerotic body building club at that time.
40 year old women do not enjoy walking over varied terrain, as a general rule.
>doesn't know who WW is
Makes sense.
>>
>>2283861
Stop being out of shape.
As soon as possible.
>>2283863
I posted a picture of a bag, you lost your mind over a patch.
>muh racial purity
Imagine thinking it was a bad thing to be white lmfao. Peak mutt.
>>
>>2284435
>friends
Anon that is obviously a Facebook Marketplace gift from an old person.
>utility
It appears to work well as a bag for hunting in a deer stand.
Why are you so butthurt about this?
>>
>>2284303
>gynocentric mentally ill beaten dog
So you're fat and what he says hurts your feelings.
Just be honest anon.
Pretending that this millionaire ex-con former pro snowboarder who makes fitness motivation videos is "queer" is probably the funniest cope I've ever heard.
You sound like the sort of man that has full blown tits.
>>
>>2284881
>funny picture of kids holding up numbers and one giving an ave
No, it's not funny. It's sad in a cruel tragedy sort of way. And don't say 'ave' like you're trying to be cultured, it's a cringe nazi salute.
>thinks these are my kids
Yeah because you posted the picture immediately after I said you dont have a family. Wow, what a guess.
>>2284882
>I posted a picture of a bag, you lost your mind over a patch.
Nice projection, you are the one screaming about MUH PEOPLE.
>Imagine thinking it was a bad thing to be white lmfao. Peak mutt.
Imagine not knowing the irony. Show us your family tree, then. A you can't, too many other trees transplanted into the garden huh? Don't be a hypocrite. Unless you come from an amish community that came from a monoculture in the 1600s, you aren't "pure" anything.
>>2284883
>makes a second post about how its you not me that is upset
Project harder, aye. Come back after another few days to show how little you care.
>>2284886
You know you can reply to more than one in a post right, or do you think spamming responses makes it seem like more people agree with you?
>ex-con
>"queer"
Yeah, very likely.
>>
>>2284878
Can you post a picture? I got an old canvas breadbag that I cleaned up as a gift. Unfortunately old rust likes to stay around even if cleaned.
>>
>>2284883
>Proudly wearing chink garbage enough to post it on a thread
>>
>>2284886
your definition of masculinity is cute! americans are unintentionally very funny. Post a pic of your wife like you did your kids
>>
>>2285260
Hey, sometimes it's intentional, too
but I second that request- >>2284886 post the wife !
You must be very proud
>>
File: 72965BLK.jpg (39 KB, 467x739)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>>2284886
kek, maybe you'll get a kick out of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSXipvXUMVo

>Anyway, back on topic
How does the Jakaari and the Sabre fit? I'm 6'2" and have a long torso, will the hip belt sit on my iliac crest?
>>
>>2282363
>He doesnt have a second belt for mags
>>
>>2270777
Is it actually realistic to use the Jaakari M for overnights in winter? It's only 30L isn't it?
>>
this thread is garbage
>>
>>2268308
This is the best. Cope
>>
I'm thinking about getting a vanquest pack, anyone know of any reason to avoid them beside the price?
>>
>>2283853
I went with the 5.11 Rush 12, seemed quite fitting fir my needs, as it has a full lenght zipper along the whole backpack and a nice admin pouch to store small things like my notebook / pencils / plant identification books and the like. It should arrive next week, will report back in and tell you about it.
Thanks for the help, mate
>>
>>2276464
you're just saying words
>>
>>2268310
>>2276464
kek
>>
>>2285482
the fact they weigh 7 1/2 pounds
>>
File: 1642298625342.jpg (1.21 MB, 3072x4096)
1.21 MB
1.21 MB JPG
Is there a way to repair or replace buckles and latches on the old ALICE packs? This one is pretty slippery, like the spring is stuck.
>>
>>2285860
I said reason to avoid
>>
>>2285998
Idk if you just got an osprey you could send it in for a repair. I guess you can try to send the indestructible Alice back to the government?
>>
>>2286291
Get back in the fucking pod
>>
>>2286295
You're the one with a broken pack my dude.
>>
>>2286291
That's called a tax return.
>>
>>2286328
The broken pack that I can fix myself.
As opposed to the broken pack you have to send back to the company to get fixed...
There's a very clear line here, and you're on the side with the pods faggot.
>>
>>2286462
>The broken pack that I can fix myself
So why are you posting about it then?

Honestly I've never had any issue with buckles breaking or whatnot (my surplus packs are European though, not Alice shit). Then again, I would never claim anything to be indestructible.

You should try to relax.
>>
>>2285804
nice. I didn't know about that one. it seems very well constructed and users gave it good reviews. hope you enjoy
>>
>>2286479
im not the one with the broken alice
im just giving you shit for this retarded post >>2286291
>>
>>2286507
Okay good luck fixing your broken pack. I'm headed out to enjoy the outdoors.
>>
File: thebackpackingMETA.png (282 KB, 451x446)
282 KB
282 KB PNG
>56L internal volume
>Minimalist design to maximize functionality
>Only 880 grams
>Only $77, most other packs of similar design/weight/quality are upwards of $200
The only con is that this pack isn't the bougiest cuban fiber and is pleb nylon. This is the most cost-efficient pack if you are looking to maximize miles on trail, imo
>>
>>2286545
What's that?
>>
>>2286559
3F UL Qidian Pro. It's basically just a Zpacks arc clone in nylon. It's been my primary 5-10 day pack for a while now and I don't have any complaints other than the front mesh is a bit flimsy
>>
File: simond.jpg (52 KB, 720x720)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>2286545
The "meta" was already fullfilled many years ago with climbing backpacks like pic related for "attacking" summits.

Some marketing geniuses discovered the possibility of inventing a new term for selling more backpacks based on weight, rebranding them as ultralight/hyperlight for trails and putting a bigger tag price for milking ignorants.

Not saying light packs are bad, have their purpose. Only problem is marketing bullshitting around them.
>>
>>2286566
Seems pretty decent and is dirt cheap, might buy it sometime just to try it out. I hike off-trail most of time and bushwack a lot though, so I'm afraid it's not durable enough for those kind of hikes.
>>
>>2286589
I absolutely agree with you in that ultralight/hyperlight is 90% a marketing meme. But the 10% of real purpose that you mention is still relevant to actual distance backpacking - you can't be hauling a 40lbs base weight around and hoping to hit 30 mile days regularly. That Simond pack looks pretty good and well priced for climbing purposes, but the lack of exterior pockets, smaller hip belts, and generally heavier material (that is sure to soak up more water) would make it less efficient than the 3F UL pack. I think that pack would be a good mountaineering meta but not so much a good backpacking meta
>>
>>2286590
If you're more focused on bushwhacking I'd recommend staying away from the ultralight branded packs and sticking with the milsurp/larp style packs - you're right that it wouldn't last very long in heavy brush. If you were planning to do long trails/general backpacking though, this is a go-to
>>
>>2286541
I've been outdoors this whole time, get fucked.
>>
>>2286637
>relevant to actual distance backpacking - you can't be hauling a 40lbs base weight around and hoping to hit 30 mile days regularly
Why is it always one extreme or the other for you faggots? You're never saving more 8lbs with an ultralight pack. If you can't do 30 miles a day with 32lbs, you're not doing it with 40lbs.
>>
>>2286589
Yep
let's discuss pack features:
>more internal organisation
what's the point, use stuff sacks or pouches
>trampoline style mesh at the back
Nice for airflow, shitty for weight and pulls your centre of gravity further back = you have to lean forward and ruin posture
>mesh pocket on back
Nah, first thing to get fucked by even light brushwacking, and spandex holds water way longer than nylon or polyester. Consumerist meme. Bungee cords are 10x stronger and let you store things on the back to dry, and also allows a lot more versatility (like lashing down a helmet)
>bottle pockets
Good addition when made of durable material, unhindered by a compression strap and angled for access while wearing (fuck spandex for aforementioned reasons). Ruin the narrow profile for mountains and bushwhacking though, which hinders range of motion.
>running pack style pockets on front
Actually a great addition, but still fragile. Easy to sew these on to good packs, look on leddit for tricks
>ultralight compression cords instead of straps
Total meme, you want proper compression, elastic cord doesn't help. See Palante packs
>squatter, wider less tall shapes
Great for using your pack for carry-on on (((Ryanair))) and similar
>Palante pack bottom pocket
Great and handy idea but fragile, hydrophilic material, gets dirty
>Frameless
Weight savings if you have a low weight and something else to form some rigidity, i.e. folded sleeping mat or foam. Better to choose a pack with a removable frame for versatility
>brainless rolltop packs
Yeah, fine, if you don't need a lid that's great, cut them off your climbing pack if you never use it. But a lid/brain has some benefits: it provides a bit more weatherproofing (two/three/four layers of fabric disperse water far more than one); and a floating lid like on a savotta jaakari lets you expand capacity by a considerable amount
>underside bedroll straps
Personal preference, but these should be sewn onto all packs by default and cut off/removed
>>
>>2286545
>Minimalist design
>maximize functionality
Huh?
>>
>>2286930
Nice broken pack
>>
>>2286956
What part of not that anon did you not understand
>>
File: k_1133150_bk.jpg (99 KB, 1000x1000)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
Hello /out/, I am new to hiking and want to hike a lot more often this year, so I'd like to get a dedicated pack. I'm leaning towards 45Lish capacity because I want space for extra winter gear in the future. I am currently in Japan so I have access to the Montbell stores.

I want a good, durable pack that will be comfortable for day trips or overnighting and has good waterproofing for the frequent rain here. It should also work well during the winter.

I've been looking at the Montbell Kitra Pack 45, Montbell Granite Pack 40, Osprey Archeon 45. Open to suggestions and advice for a newfag. If I get Montbell I'll try it on in-store first.
>>
>>2285013
>old rust likes to stay around even if cleaned
If you're talking about staining the fabric, idk but there must be a way
If you're talking about the metal, if it's just surface rust the steel inside is fine, and you can strip it and seal it with wax or paint
If its deeply rusted you can try to convert the rust with a chemical process, or at least render it inert, then seal the outside.
She'll be alright, just google it
>>
>>2286998
>am currently in Japan
HOW you lucky bastard

Pack in pic looks good. Has good features. It is mid-tier durable by the fabric weight, so look elsewhere if you want a bomber one that will last years of abuse. Can't vouch for the quality of the stitching. Hipbelt looks rather puny for any large weight (eg 5 days food carry, or desert water carry), front zip seems pointless. Idk what that front loop is for
Black will heat up like a furnace in summer and spoil the food inside faster

A word of advice: The most subtle change in strap shape can have massive improvements in comfort. S shaped, J shaped, wide or narrow, thin or super stiff and padded, it's down to your anatomy (skinny vs stocky, broad shouldered, wide ribcage or not, dense zyzz-tier trapezius or slender) personal preference but trust me - you will start thinking about it a lot if you end up with an uncomfy pack. Important to try. Buy all your options (and more), or visit a store, and seriously load them up (bring at least 15kg of water bottles for example) and see how they carry OVER AN EXTENDED TIME (1hr+ of moving, extending arms etc)

Also Nippon is a land of skinny hobbits, Montbell has asian sizes, make sure it fits
>>
>>2286998
Forgot to mention
>good waterproofing
Give up on this dream
Waterproofing packs is a meme unless you go for something really super burly or a drypack bag. Often manufacturers will lie (because their primary target normies don't know, even if it's a reputable brand) and call something waterproof when in fact it's just sprayed with DWR or uses coated fabric in a normal backpack construction. Clue: if the seams aren't taped, it's going to leak. If the seams ARE taped, the waterproof material will eventually develop pinholes, delaminate or wear away the waterproofing, and then it becomes a bucket.

Everyone, everyone who hikes in wet weather uses a pack liner inside their pack. Think of it like protected sex - would you coom with a worn, abraded nylon condom with unsealed seams? You'd feel a lot safer slipping on a rubber jonny underneath. Your insulation MUST stay dry, especially in winter. A simple thin contractor's bag or any bin bag. White lets you see the contents better.

Give up on waterproofing. You will get resistance at best, and any degree of use will eventually kill the DWR and expose weak points. Only impermeable materials like cuben fibre and PVC will permanently shed rain from the surface, and those develop pinholes just like the rest of em. Rain gets in, come to peace with it, buy a durable nylon or polyester bag, and use a liner as insurance.
>>
>>2287013
>drapes poncho over pack
wow, it's magic
>>
>>2287014
Hehe, this one simple trick makes outdoor gear marketers seethe!
>>
File: 20211225_110326.jpg (215 KB, 1204x903)
215 KB
215 KB JPG
>>2287007
>>2287013
Thank you for the detailed response fren. I am a milfag stationed in Okinawa. We are under very heavy covid restrictions, but we can do domestic travel so I am able to fly to Honshu and Hokkaido occasionally. (Domestic leisure travel just got banned until Jan 24 due to Omicron unfortunately). After seeing the beautiful views in Hokkaido and the forests around Sendai I really felt the draw to hiking. I have done some casual hikes in Okinawa (which also has a great landscape, but it's subtropical weather and too hot for my liking most of the year). But I've never done any serious hiking or camping yet.

We actually get issued 2 waterproofing bags with our military gear, I might use them inside the pack until I buy my own. I have a small one already that can fit a cellphone (took it on a waterfall trip).

Please enjoy this pic I took in Niseko, Hokkaido!
>>
some serious knowledge itt, well done /out/
>>
File: faro_sou_black-1.png (869 KB, 1000x1000)
869 KB
869 KB PNG
>>2287017
That's great anon! Thanks for the pic. Must be odd with the place pretty devoid of tourists and another lockdown. Are people still going out and being social? I know it's useless to speculate but what do locals and yourself think about the likelihood of reopening to the gaijin hordes?

Protect the essentials, which are your insulation - down will collapse when wet, and you want a dry set of clothes ready that won't evaporate and super-chill you in cold conditions. Cold and dry like your pic is easy, you rarely get wet unless you're a lazy fook with stripping layers, but cold humid conditions like mist, and cold rain are actually dangerous and where most people get hypothermic without the right layers.

Free winter cold rain tip:
For humid cold rain I like the following:
Thin merino base: dries slowly so won't instantly chill me from evaporation. This is partly what people mean when they say wool is "warm when wet" (soaking wool will still conduct heat away from you like any other wet fabric).
Then a layer of synth fleece while I'm active, as it can handle sweat and dampness. Accept that, in cold humidity, you will get wet.
Then an impermeable rain shell with good mechanical venting. Weirdly, there are only 3 decent raincoat options in this category: frogg toggs (cheap and not durable or well made); Columbia outdry (cheap, durable but some terrible designs such as no pit zips jackets as they hold the patent on their amazing fabric); and Goretex shakedry (the hiking standard one).
Everything else covers the membrane with a nylon outer layer which eventually soaks out, stopping the membrane from functioning (so sweat condenses inside just like a plastic raincoat), and now you're wearing a cold, sweaty bag with a soaked outer layer of nylon conducting and evaporating heat from your body.

if you were going to invest in gear, the biggest difference to /out/ happiness is in comfy clothing that can handle cold wet and moisture, not a waterproof pack.
>>
>>2287017
>We actually get issued 2 waterproofing bags with our military gear
I'll guess it's pretty heavy. If you want to save weight contractor's/trash bag will work great and is light af, low volume and cheap/free. Since it simply lines your bag and lives in there, no need for durability or fancy roll-tops, just twist the sack's top closed like bread, and tuck it in
>>
File: 20220117_110751.jpg (2.62 MB, 2992x2992)
2.62 MB
2.62 MB JPG
>>2268308
You guys and your fucking backpacks
Can you imagine if I was like this for the best buckets to farm worms in?
>>
>>2287037
sigh, another blue plastic nylon round bucket with the first basic mud you can buy off amazon? When will this meme end, anyone who actually wormfarms instead of taking a few worms from their mom's garden knows that Hünnendorf HDPE rectangular tubs with at least 3mm thickness walls and a PH and nitrogen balanced soil substrate infused with banana peel for flavour and plastic dinosaur toys (to stimulate ideal worm childhood development) with soil at a burned umber chroma of 4 on the Munsell soil chart is the only way to worm farm
>>
File: images (1) (3).jpg (21 KB, 554x554)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
Style 10/10
Comfort 8/10
Getting self-righteous people to ignore you PRICELESS
>>
>>2287040
This but unironically
Bucket farmers are just lazy doucebags
>>
>>2287042
When did my ex send you this?
>>
>>2287037
Yeah but if you had to carry that bucket for hours on end you would be like this. Backpacks, shoes, beds, cars. Anything that will be in constant contact with your body requires a lot of consideration.
>>
>>2287045
I don't know, I don't give your mom's pussy a lot of consideration
>>
>>2287047
and that's why you're fucking a fat bitch
>>
>>2287049
It gets the job done well enough, I don't pay for it and I'll just get something else when it's worn out. I'm not an ultralight gram weenie, a 300lb woman is fine for me. I use whatever comfy slampig pussy I have on hand to coom, not to geek out over expensive runway models that get blown out in a day or larp "trad" girls with impractical allusions about sex, nor Cold War era babushka bitches from some war torn country with poor health and incompatible personalities
>>
>>2287054
Nor am I an ultralight gram weenie, but I also have a little bit of self respect. So I get what works well, long term, with the least amount of troubles. A fat bitch that is not. The point here is that there is a middle ground between the two terrible extremes of ultralight fag and literally just not caring.
>>
File: wormchad.jpg (1.66 MB, 4032x3024)
1.66 MB
1.66 MB JPG
>>2287037
>plastic
Consoomer
>>
>>2287057
I don't think you understand what that word means.
>>
>>2287056
For me I just don't believe in the modern (((women))) industry, I'm not a consumerist. If I use something, I want it to be as cheap as possible and last a lifetime, while also being as functional as is reasonably expected - fancy, sophisticated gear just has more points of failure, costs more, is less versatile, and yes, is heavier. That's why I use things that were given to me for free like your mother, and visit yard sales and goodwills or browse local ads to one day kidnap a child.
>>
>>2287063
idk, it's something worms do to organic matter I think?
>>
>>2287065
>I want it to be as cheap as possible and last a lifetime
That's a consideration, because what is cheapest will not last you a lifetime. So EITHER you do like us and spend time researching the best option, or you fuck around and pretend you're not being a retard.
Aside from that, you seriously need to re-calibrate your compass. Being an informed buyer is not consumerism, it's the exact fucking opposite.
>>
>>2287069
I'll see myself out
>>
>>2285266
6'2 lanky sf sabre owner

It's comfy.
>>
>>2287057
Buckets made of anything other than plastic are a bit rare and expensive I'd imagine
I like the old brittle ones because the cracks let the worms breathe :)
I've got some newer ones that tough and flexible and should last for many years longer
Let's face it we could both save a fortune if we swapped to a good tough brand of trash bag that we replaced every month
>>
>>2287045
I do rate my buckets in how easy they are to lift
They need good handles
You be surprised how long I spend lifting and carrying them desu
>>
>>2287074
A kidnapped loli is the best of all worlds, they're ubiquitous and you can find them the world over, no failure points, simple design, much less autistic features and memes than a modern gf, and arguably better aesthetics from its simplicity if you care about that. I'm informed about what I want in a coom dumpster not by spending hours researching online, but by simply using so many holes that I found what I really need, what works best and what works well enough, and I found ways to get it for free/exceedingly cheap (for instance with some fruit rollups and a candybar, or in the case of your mother, a half eaten bigmac over a pitfall trap) without partaking in a toxic, overpriced and often totally amoral industry - especially when it's so easy to drive by a daycare instead of spending hours on tinder. I'm not an "informed buyer" because I'm simply not a buyer, I have only paid for a new girl once, and I gave her away to my oriental friend because I didn't like the way my dick fit in her.
Nothing retarded about it too - like this quote from heat, my girls are about as valuable to me as a 50C coin. Great to have, but I won't cry if I lose them. Ultimate unattachement - I could care less if your mom dies in a fire or I have to cut her open and crawl inside like Luke Skywalker, because I know the next free/incredibly cheap slampig will serve fine and I can modify her and whip her into shape to serve my cooming purposes just fine. I don't care if she's used, covered in tramp stamps, an ugly colour (boy your mom really ticks all the boxes), as long as she takes my load and doesn't cost me, and for this I respect myself more than my gear, which is a disposable tool without taking part in the direct stages of consumer culture or industry, only using my ape intelligence to crack open the carrion bones of other consumers like yourself to get at the sweet marrow.

if you catch my drift
>>
>>2287079
what litre?
>>
File: 1631670292819.png (961 KB, 1280x720)
961 KB
961 KB PNG
>>2287094
>>
My packs. Good enough for my needs
>>
>>2287153
gee billy, FOUR daypacks?
>>
>>2287094
based if true
>>
>>2287153
Yeah, strange how they accumulate. A few were gifts. All have plenty of useful life still and aren’t worth the hassle of selling.
>>
>>2287099
The 30s are good too, they sit higher but you can still get the weight on your hips but the 45 is very comfy. The rigidity of the hip belt where it's going to sit works wonders
>>
File: 20211226_162526.jpg (63 KB, 1181x903)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>>2287023
It's strange, but some places are much nicer because there are far less tourists. Kyoto is home to many old shrines and temples that are popular and crowded but when I visited last spring, it felt calmer and the views of the buildings and gardens were unobstructed.

The Japanese still socialize at restaurants, bars, and clubs, although they are less "party animal" about it than Americans if that makes sense. As for the borders, I think it's just dependent on the level of cases within Japan and the level internationally too. It seems like the government is taking a cautious approach. The populace has done well at suppressing cases and there's free hand sanitizer everywhere (stores, restaurants, attractions) and most places have a temperature scan before you can enter. Almost everyone has a mask on out of courtesy even though it isn't mandated by law. The problem is usually around port cities and military cities. Ports with transiting personnel manning shipping boats and military areas with the US military doing personnel rotations (sending people from US stations to Japan temporarily for 6 months, and the people get swapped out with new ones every 6 months) always causes cases to go up.

It's been quite tedious but I am hopeful maybe in another year or two stuff may subside.

I nabbed a Montbell rain jacket while travelling because it started raining really bad and it's been awesome so far. I will incorporate it into my kit along with those other things you mentioned. Thank you!

Pic is Lake Toya, Hokkaido.
>>
File: packs.jpg (117 KB, 821x960)
117 KB
117 KB JPG
My trio. Kinda regret not buying an olive green daypack.
>>
File: 20220117_071532.jpg (2.14 MB, 4000x3000)
2.14 MB
2.14 MB JPG
Got this for free from a friend who upgraded. Said it's a hallcat modified alice pack.
Is it worth keeping?
>>
>>2287202
It's worthless, I'll take it off your hands for you.
>>
>>2287202
Unless it's filled with a time bomb, your friend gave you a good gift, don throw it away.
>>
Thoughts on simply using a dry bag as a backpack?
>can go over 100L
>enough space to fit a small child
>no unnecessary pockets or straps
>actually waterproof
>pretty comfy futon
>fuck your ultralight
>>
>>2287241
Any moisture in the bag will not leave.
If it gets dragged or poked wrong it's ruined
They're best used in a canoe, I put mine in a duffel bag along with some foam from a life vest. They are heavy,expensive,and fragile.
>>
>>2287000
Aye it was on the fabric, mr 7000 man
I don't understand these old designers who were like 'lets make a rucksack for military mountaineers- yeah uncoated iron on the outside should be good, and no it does not need to be removable. They dont need to replace or clean it'
>>2287241
or you could spent less on a pack cover that is waterproof and takes up no space when not used
that thing is not going to fold or pack down any size reasonable when you arent using it
>>
Just ordered pic related for 24€ (28 USD). Thoughts?
>>
>>2287501
'ate dpm personally
looks bomber
>>
>>2287501
Should be good.
>>
>>2287501
Got one before Christmas. Used for hiking, climbing, bushwhacking... It's virtually my main choice for outdooring. It has some quirks, still the positive aspects surpass'em.

Best bang per buck you are gonna get for a daypack.
>>
Possible stupid question.

Is there a reputable 3-day pack (around 40L) that doesn't look like scary military shit, are just as capable, but not made in super bright colors?

Maybe I'm just being a bitch about this. I saw a couple Kelty ones I liked, but I was put off by them being one half bright fucking orange.

Gotta admit, I am digging the Cannae Phalanx tho.
>>
>>2287678
Berghaus Munro in grey
Karrimor Sabre in black (see >>2285266)
>reasonable prices
>great packs
>in use by armed forces
>neither has molle nor military styling
>unofficial packs of /out/

Or buy your milsurp, cut off the molle and dye it black with nylon dye
>>
>>2287678
>scary
olive green and coyote are kino, friendly colours of nature. neon and bright blues, yellows, red are scary aposematic dangerous colours
>>
>>2286931
>But how else am I supposed to justify my choices.
Light fags can’t handle decent arguments
>>
>>2283832
>when I was a 22 year old Marine. In 2006.
>I joined the USMC in 1998.
you joined the marines when you were 14? i doubt it
>>
>>2287017
lucky im stationed in hawaii atm and the /out/ isnt nearly as good as youd expect
>>
>>2287037
>>2287040
every now and then i get reminded why i keep coming back to this place
>>
>>2287740
>Berghaus Munro
Where are these manufactured, anyway? Just curious.

>>2287803
Lol it's a clear LARP, but that seals the deal
>>
>>2287202
god I'm fucking jelly
enjoy it anon
>>
>>2287803
kek
based amelia watson detective work
>>2283748
This just came in today- whew it's an interesting array of straps. Will get it sorted out after cleaning this week
>>
>>2286931
Cutting down the weight you carry makes walking far easier dude. Think about it.
>>
>>2288367
Long distance exertion is not going to be significantly affected by a different of 10 pounds.
>>
>>2288368
have you ever walked beyond the mailbox? 10 pound is roughly 3 kilo, may be you should drag your fat arse off the porch and try walking 10 mile with your own bodyweight, and then add 10 pound and try the same distance. fuck I hate the fucktards on this animesite nowadays.
>>
>>2288410
Oh I get it now, ultralight fags also drink soi...
>>
>>2288411
ultralight is a faggot want to be aeroplane pilot. be fucked if I'm going to be caught that easy. I'm just saying people should try before they pretend they can be heroes.
>>
>>2279453
>>2279538
I had Savotta M and I still have Savotta 202. 202 is a decent option as a edc backpack or for daytrips (as >>2279538
says). Because it has no padding and dedicated compartments, you can put anything inside, e.i. 16 inch notebook is no problem even with textile notebook cover. Or you can roll it up and attach it to bigger backpack. Only problem could be the 1000D cordura, which sometimes acts like sandpaper. I could not reccomend wearing it directly on cotton/merino t-shirts. It may obvious fact to some, but I learned it hard way.
Savotta Jaakari M is... Complicated. Price to volume ration, in my opinion, isn't the best, for uni use it looks too militaristic (olive variant). Also, for edc use it was too big, however for multiday trips too small so I sold it and bought 55L Osprey and the already mentioned Savotta 202. However, until you (or your bf) try, you will never know if it suits your/his needs.
>>
File: DSCN0445-2.jpg (3.88 MB, 3668x3016)
3.88 MB
3.88 MB JPG
As someone who actually owns the Jaakari M and L I would strongly advise against either if you want to hike more than a mile or two.
The M weighs a whole 5lbs empty and the L even more.
They have no pockets or dividers, just a big stuff sack. Any sort of utility has to be added on via the molle meaning even more weight.
The M is too small to be useable for anything more than an overnight and forget about packing a jacket or change of clothes in there.

After wasting close to 500$ on these meme packs, I just have a normal backpacking pack and I'm much happier with it.
Please don't unironically fall for the Savotta meme. The only pro is that my L survived a hitting an antelope on my motorcycle without tearing In the crash.
>>
File: DSCN0372.jpg (1.47 MB, 2376x1637)
1.47 MB
1.47 MB JPG
>>2288608
Also, the M is not comfortable at all, the "padding" in the shoulder straps is hard and there's not much of it. The belt is just a 1inch strip of pack material that digs in if you put more than 10-15lbs in the pack.
>>
>>2288615
>>2288608
>>2288454

Also have both (I actually have the S, M, L). Can confirm. Disappointed at spending all this money on meme packs. I do like the 202 and sometimes the S and M are nice for long day hikes but they honestly aren't comfortable in the slightest. I wish there were a non UL bag that was made in the US, EU, or Japan. Anyone have a good rec?

>>2287501
Honestly this little shit is amazing. The opening is kinda annoying, but I wish I could find it in a non-camo model.
>>
File: IMG_20210928_214531541.jpg (963 KB, 4000x3000)
963 KB
963 KB JPG
>>2288629
I have just gone to chinkshit onetigris lite roamer.
It's plenty big to hold a 3 man hot tent with stove + everything for overnight and fishing with room left over.
>>
File: gray zone amsterdam.png (281 KB, 436x454)
281 KB
281 KB PNG
>>2288629
Non "camo" versions of the dutch daypack exist, look for the air force version, it's like grayish-green. Tends to cost more money than the mtp camo pattern.
>>
>>2287094
>A kidnapped loli is the best of all worlds
>don't brags about how she fits well in a backpack
C'mon now
>>
File: f43f33c590.jpg (31 KB, 600x600)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
I've been thinking about changing from a fanny pack to a chest rig, anyone ever tried that? Fits more snacks and other things you don't wanna to put in the backpack
>>
>>2288858
It seems so impractical, takes more space, with less of it inside.
>>
>>2288629
Just received mine in the mail and shit is almost brand new besides some forest debris and a scuff on one of the buckles. On first glance I'm already loving it, gonna take it to the woods this weekend.

Mine didn't come with the inner dividers and I couldn't be happier, can fit bulky items in there now.
>>
File: 81TDnYjIl-L._UX569_.jpg (28 KB, 569x569)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>>2288953
That's my fear, maybe is even too bulky to go along with the backpack. What is a good alternative? Shoulder bag?
>>
>>2289028
Just a fanny pack of a good size across your chest like in picrel should do the trick, keep it simple
>>
File: barrel.png (202 KB, 461x418)
202 KB
202 KB PNG
I just ordered one of these and I'm gonna put the biggest bluest barrel onto it. It's all you could ever need out doors. It carries whatever you want to bring, and is a shelter if you sit down and pull your knees up (your boots might stick out a little bit but thats ok), or you could collect rainwater with it/make a nice juukoozee if you put it next to the fire and boil you.

All in all, barrel is best when a backpack
>>
File: barrel2.png (12 KB, 461x418)
12 KB
12 KB PNG
>>2289039
>>
>>2289042
>>2289039
ok im taking the barrel pill
>>
>>2289039
B-based?
>>
File: Principal.jpg (116 KB, 746x625)
116 KB
116 KB JPG
>>2289039
My man of culture what in the seven hells have you brought to this cursed land
>>
>>2289039
>you could collect rainwater with it/make a nice juukoozee if you put it next to the fire and boil you.
>mfw boiling in le comfy plastic barrel
>>
>>2289039
Looks like something simply made for death valley
>>
File: barrel3.png (96 KB, 646x851)
96 KB
96 KB PNG
>>2289051
i have contained the image so you barrel too
>>
>>2289039
I see weight distribution a little problematic, perhaps there must be a solution. Perks surpasses disadvantages by a mile, not gonna lie.
>>
>>2289111
Use soft items to fill gaps: clothes, sleeping bag etc Maybe even cut a closed cell foam mat to pieces that fit your loadout.

I'm definitely barrel-pilled now.
>>
>>2289106
Why would you rent in the sky when you could barrel?
>>
>>2289039
>barrel hold water
>barrel hold food
>barrel hold gear
>barrel hold you
I see no downsides.
>>
>>2289039
Barrel anon, we have a bunch of these for holding silica at my workplace. They're only around 50L; plenty of room for pack barrel, but not quite enough for barrel home, especially if you're fat.
Thankfully the solution is simple, get a bigger barrel.
>>
>>2288998
Where'd you get it from? Looks in way better condition than mine
>>
File: 1642749534608.jpg (1.76 MB, 4032x3024)
1.76 MB
1.76 MB JPG
>>2288858
Do it but only if you go with a hpg kit bag, not some weird chink shit with gay random pouches
>>
>>2289490
Outdoors.ee, they ship worldwide and still have a couple of brand new ones left.
>>
please help /out/anons I'm looking for a non chinese crap backpack that can carry 30lbs of items inside of the main bag
>>
File: gorilllllaaaa.jpg (297 KB, 1200x1799)
297 KB
297 KB JPG
she cute
>>
>>2289641
>looks at rock
>pack instantly tears to shreds
I'll pass, this is only useful for groomed trails
>>
>>2289629
>Outdoors.ee
Oh badass they have an /en/ page
>>
>>2288682
>checks my local surplus stores
>42 euro for DPM
>75 euro for "non-camo"
These mtf
Anyway, does anyone have expericence with polish Wisport backpacks like Raccon or Sparrow?
>pic rel
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (222 KB, 1600x1600)
222 KB
222 KB JPG
asked the same question in QTDDTOT:

i got a vintage lowe similar to pic related for extremely cheap. it's in good condition, mind some storage dirt but my issue is that it smells fucking rank of the previous owners BO that even basement storage apparently couldn't get rid off. anybody know how i would go on about getting rid of the disgusting musk?
>>
>>2289866
soak it in vinegar
>>
>>2289866
Warm water and soap.
>>
>>2270777
>too big
Wrong
>>
>>2289868
>>2289891
okay thanks, you both basically confirmed what i was about to do before updating the thread: marinate in a bath tub of warm water with dish soap and a splash of vinegar. will update results
>>
>>2283721
You could give it a try. You’ll get annoyed by your provisions swinging around and falling off, I can guarantee that
>>
>>2283498
Pro:
-built like a tank
-great adjustable suspension system
-you get a "free" battlebelt

Con:
-relatively heavy
-can't really overload
-sidepouches are small and cannot be removed

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.