[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 34 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

What even is the point of the SAK saw? It's too small to saw through anything large, and anything too small for an ordinary saw for you can snap with your hands.
>>
File: CxI-rfBW8AA5DVY.jpg (251 KB, 768x1024)
251 KB
251 KB JPG
Weighs little, does lot
>>
>>2254255
That saw its actually ok for something wrist size.
Maybe you are just too weak
>>
>>2254255
It’s miserable to use “everyday” compared to a silky but does a surprisingly good job. Would be a lot better if it locked so it could more easily scrape.
IMO it’s borderline the most useless modern SAK tool next to the hook. The only thing saving the hook is the file on it.
>>
>>2254273
The hook is kinda underappreciated, IMO. I've found many uses for mine. Last winter I used it to forcefully pry open the gas tank lid in my car, after it got frozen shut in an intense cold spell.
>>
>>2254255
I use it almost weekly to make small rough cuts on melamine. The SAK is actually a nearly perfect cabinet makers knife. Saw can square out round holes, or cut small reliefs in tight spaces, the Phillips screwdriver adjusts hinges, the flat blade is a prybar or shim, and the awl is a perfect 5mm for reaming shelf pin holes. In the woods I use it making traps, or constructing elaborate pot holders for the fire.
>>
>>2254279
Why does one have a nail file and the other not?
>>
>>2254280
I used to work trim carpentry, things like this are fuckin great. They'll take a fair bit of abuse and you can do alot with them if you're....creative
>>
>>2254284
I honestly have no idea. I wish Victorinox would make it standard on all models with the hook.
>>
File: 20211125_130057.jpg (1.65 MB, 4032x1816)
1.65 MB
1.65 MB JPG
>>
>>2254255
>anything too small for an ordinary saw for you can snap with your hands.
They're meant for situations where you don't need to divide, but to make a cut partway through, often at angles you could't cut at with a blade. Trap triggers or tentstakes, for example.

Also, those saws can cut above their length. I've cut a 15cm branch with the saw on my trailmaster once. A shitload of work, and gave me blisters, but it worked.
>>
>>2254279
holy shit never seen that, what models have it?
>>
>>2254255
its a meme these days. the only good thing about this nigger is that its small so you can hide it in your poophole.
the leatherman is way better for survival purposes.
>>
>>2254495
Which leatherman? Everytime I ask about one someone responds with "that one sucks, you should get ___ instead" and then that one gets shit on too
>>
>>2254505
Surge
>>
>>2254511
Surge is indeed the best Leatherman. I found mine under a bridge in Maastricht and its fucking great. I honestly don't understand why the skeletool used to be shilled so much.
>>
>>2254255
>making notches
>squaring holes
>cutting tendons/joints in game animals
>cutting PVC
>lock raking
>>
>>2254495
>its a meme
>survival purposes

Kek
>>
>>2254593
>lock raking
What large locks
>>
>>2254279
The hook is for carrying pargels or tightening twine
>>
>>2254464
The nailfile? At least some versions of the Vic Compact have it. I don't think it's very common.
>>
>>2254636
The hook is for anything where it works.
>>
>>2254255
When I'm bored sometimes I carve little owls out of sticks I find. The saw is good for cleanly separating the owl from the rest of the stick. Also used it to make stop cuts when I was roughing out a wooden spoon the other day.
>>
>>2254505
If you have no fucking idea of what you are confronting, Wave+ or Surge. For almost same functionalities but cheaper (at the cost of less comfortable to use), Rebar.

If you don't want pliers, go for a SAK, cheaper and many options to suit you. Victorinox offers nice multitools with pliers, but are fucking expensive even compared with Leatherman.
>>
>>2254255
>you can snap with your hands
There are more uses for wood then just building a fire.
>>
its all a gimmick
>>
>>2254255
it's handy for smaller crafting projects, I mainly use it for quickly making tentpegs but it's come in handy for traps and cutting down a chunk of wood into something easier to whittle from. I use the backside of it as a fero rod scraper to good effect. I have a leatherman signal that also features a small saw, and I opted to replace it with a file off of a leatherman wave so I could sharpen my axe with it (and while I was at it, replaced that retarded half-srrated blade the signal comes with with a normal fucking blade off a wave too)
>>
>>2254289
If it looks right, it is right.
>>
The hook is for carrying packages tied with string and tightening bootlaces.
>>
>>2254511
weighs a pound and is made out of junky pot steel.
>>
>>2254623
Every thing is large when you're a manlet.
>>
>>2254255

That SAK is the 84mm Walker. I own one, for my hand it is too small. I can only get 3 fingers and thumb around it. So too small to be practical. I think it's meant for very light use on walks/hikes.

The 91mm Camper (has a saw) is much better, can fit properly in your hand and actually usable at bushcrafting like making trysticks. Plus it has a secondary small blade.

TA Outdoors (Mike) shows what can be done with a SAK. In this video he uses the 85mm Victorinox Evolution 17

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuJWv3-XmRw

For a more premium price the Farmer Alox is 93mm and thicker main blade but no secondary blade.
>>
>>2254284

The one with the nail file is only located on the Victorinox Compact model. It's meant to be a 2 layer knife packed with the most features possible but still keeping it in a slim think form. Consumers wish for Victorinox to add it to all models that have the parcel hook but it remains exclusive on the Compact model.
>>
File: IMG_4418b.jpg (2.1 MB, 3024x4032)
2.1 MB
2.1 MB JPG
Ranger Grip 57 Hunter (130mm)
Ranger 55 (130mm)
Hunter (111mm)
Farmer Alox (93mm)
Camper (91mm)
Evolution Grip S17 (85mm)
Walker (84mm)
>>
Might as well be a SAK general.
Which direction do you open cans? I go counterclockwise around the can because clockwise makes that annoying sound.
>>
https://youtu.be/_45hHW4gQOo?t=47
>>
I have a leatherman with a tiny saw and used it tonight to cut off a couple small branches when I was putting my Christmas tree up. Worked great.
>>
>>2254636
I laughed at the hook until I needed to zip up a Jeep soft top. Tightening twine as you said, as well as laces is another use I've had to employ.
I would still rather have the sewing awl on the back.
>>
>>2258291
You go in the direction of the sharpened edge, no matter which opener you use. Victorinox is push and Wenger is pull.
>>
>>2254273
The hook is actually the tool I use most. I bike to the grocers and place the purchases in a milk crate tied the rack on my bike, then when I get to my apartment I tie up the crate and carry it with the hook up five flights of stairs. This I do at least once a week.
>>
File: SA08461MWx1000_600x.jpg (28 KB, 600x600)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>>2254255
One of my favorite camping party tricks is walking off into the brush with my sak and watching heads spin when I come back with split rounds of firewood.
>>
>>2254464
The Huntsman, Fieldmaster and Climber to name a few.
>>
>>2258693
my huntsman doesnt have it, but be something theyve added to never versions
>>
>>2258606
How do you do it, anon?

I have that same model, just German
>>
>>2258735
not that guy, but i´d use the saw to cut a baton, use the saw to cut a thicker, short piece, carve a wedge and just go from there
>>
>>2258735
Theres a couple ways to do it, my preference is as follows:
>Find some dry branches 3-5 inches in diameter
>use the crotch of a forked tree to break them at about chest high lengths
>if the branch has a natural split, make a saw cut perpendicular to it about 12-16" down the length
> if it doesnt have a split, cut a kerf into the branch about one fist lenth from the end, then another about 12-16" farther down.
Strike the branch against a rock, log or stump either at the midpoint (for the single cut) or the very tip (for the two cut method)
> watch as the split round comes flying out
> repeat cut and strikes down the length

Branches seem to split well (vs trunks) I think because they spend their whole lives under compression. If you can, orient your first cuts and strikes so the force is going the opposite of gravity (think pulling the branch up in relation to the trunk). If it still isnt working, try angling the cut so it finishes closer to the striking end, it seems to give the momentum something more to "grip".
Conifers and alder are my go to's, but any straight grained brittle wood near you probably works. Avoid dense and tough hardwoods like maple and ash.
>>2258741
This works too, but is more work. Best suited for accurate splitting and large diameter stuff. I sometimes use a hybrid where in I'll break branches with the v tree until I get some nice tough splinters. Then I'll hammer those into existing cracks along the lenth and proceed with the w'hackin

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.