[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 120 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

#413-“Thx Vets” Edition

Previous Thread:
>>2240585

Old thread is bumped off Page 1, janny pls.

Thinking about picking up a new hobby? Want to get a memecaster? Haven't mastered the Palomar knot? Click here!
http://www.pastebin.com/u/fishingandtackle
https://imgur.com/a/1Xw3N

New Bong Fishin Guide
https://pastebin.com/sDB5SQTq

First for best telescopic rod is the one you exchanged for a 3pc.

Talk about fishin
>>
File: IMG_20211101_181756.jpg (2.67 MB, 3997x2260)
2.67 MB
2.67 MB JPG
I catch lots of these tilapia in SW Florida. They fight hard and taste good.
>>
File: IMGP0015_zpsb6cea0b6.jpg (191 KB, 1024x768)
191 KB
191 KB JPG
Really want to expand my flatfish targets next year, turbot on lures from the shore would be fun
>>
>>2248884
I’ve seen those on the little freshwater fish pamphlets and FWC website but haven’t caught them anywhere around Broward-Dade-Palm Beach. The Mayan cichlids are much more common and Jaguar cichlids in a couple spots. Seen some of those bright orange Midas cichlids as well.

Posted it before, but supposedly oscars used to be the common one around here. I guess some years ago there was a cold stretch in the winter and the water temps dropped too low for the oscars to survive and the Mayans took over after that.

Talkin to some old black guy at these lakes I fish, one day he was talking about all the crappie he catches, and I can’t figure out if there are actually crappie around here or maybe that’s what they called the Mayans. Never caught or seen a crappie out of the dozens and dozens of spots I have been to.
>>
>>2248940
I have yet to catch a crappie in South Florida either. I have tried, but nothing so far.
>>
File: Mayan cichlid 1.jpg (3.58 MB, 2576x1932)
3.58 MB
3.58 MB JPG
>>2248940
Btw, what do you do when you catch a non-native fish that you're not going to eat?
>>
>>2249029
Bury it in your garden as fertilizer.
>>
>>2248940
yo nigga you doin secretsanta?
>>
>>2249142
Probably not unless somebody else organizes it. I always email people back right before I draw names to confirm they’re down, and the one anon pissed me off when he tried to bail on it a couple days after drawing names when his santa already ordered him a gift
>>
>>2249029
Snakeheads I kill, the rest I throw back because it’s a war we can’t win with the Mayans. I did get rid of some Jaguars with slit gills though.
>>
>>2249029
Why not eat it?

Also, like kvd says, it's a losing battle. They're not responsible for the fact that they're invasive. Let it go, kill it and toss it in the bushes for the raccoons none of it makes a difference so do what you want
>>
File: 88b13cb.png (65 KB, 385x457)
65 KB
65 KB PNG
>>2249161
shit so someone else organizes it this year

Any volunteers?
>>
>>2249192
I hereby nominate Matt to be the CEO of secret santa
>>
>>2249202
All the recipient addresses will end up in Florida
>>
>>2249165
The sneks I kill because those things are cunt fish at the top of the food chain. This one lake I fished a lot, I took out a bunch of adult sneks over the course of a year or two and I was definitely slowing them down a bit. I don’t know if it would be possible to get rid of all the sneks in one lake, but killing a bunch of breeding adults will definitely make room for bass and gar to eat better.

The mayan cichlids though, those fuckers have replaced the bluegill, there’s millions and millions of them, it would be like killing every bluegill you catch and thinking you could stop them. At a certain point you will probably do the LMB population more harm than the cichlid population.

Also the DNR had it’s own plan to deal with the cichlids, that’s why we have peacock bass in Florida.

>>2249192
Yea blame the one anon. He came through eventually after realizing getting doxxed on this shithole is probably worse than spending $20 on lures. It was just annoying, I don’t want to be stressed out if somebody gets screwed over
>>
>>2249232
I think everyone knows the risk when they sign up

Actually this is probably the only successful secret santa in 4chan history
>>
Fuck asian carp.
>>
God I love catching little bluegill so much. They put up a spirited fight on light tackle and once you get into them you can just sit back and catch them all day. Comfiest fish ever.
>>
What should I use for bass during the colder days? Spinners or jigs?
>>
Anyone fishing the detroit river fall walleye run? I havent been able to get out there yet.
>>
>>2249162
I remove a couple of fins, maybe fuck their eyes up, and throw them back in to suffer and get eaten by gators.
>>
>>2249263
/mlp/'s secret Santa is supposed to be excellent, and /k/'s secret Santa is big enough that whales handle the people who get "Grinched".
>>
>>2249381
A 10" huddleston.
>>
>>2249374
They're really fun on a 4wt fly rod too
>>
File: IMG_0926.jpg (208 KB, 1351x673)
208 KB
208 KB JPG
>invite friend fishing
>he invites two buddies
>it's an absolute fuster cluck
>I wind up being basically a guide
>between the 4 of us there are 4 hookups, but only one to hand
>pic related
>22 1/2 inches
>it was the smallest one hooked that day
It was a good time
>>2249161
>>2249232
>>2249192
I could try, it seems simple enough
>burner email
>request personal information
>confirm participation
>draw names
>distribute personal information
>if anyone tries to weasel out, make them regret it
>>
>>2249415
I mean when the anon was trying to back out, I was going to buy something for his anon anyway and maybe post a Paypal and see if anybody wanted to pitch in $5-$10 extra to get something good for anon who got screwed over.

I would mostly be pissed about the grinch anon getting free shit without giving a gift.

>>2249550
That’s pretty much it, I’ll post the email in the OP for the next couple threads if you want to do it. I would send out emails like a day or two before drawing names to confirm that everybody is still down to do it and wasn’t some lurker who sent an email 3 weeks ago and forgot.
>>
>>2249554
Gaydogontheinternet (at) gmail . Com
I'll try it, i'll draw names on the 1st of December after a confirmation around Thanksgiving
>try to spend about 20 USD and don't go too much over 25 or 30
>Send an email with your name, a shipping address or P.O. box, and what type of fishing you do or want gear for
>>
File: 3215.jpg (182 KB, 1200x900)
182 KB
182 KB JPG
>custom fishing boat
>>
File: Richard Gene bass .jpg (122 KB, 1280x720)
122 KB
122 KB JPG
>>2248877
>Uses Red Cajun and Mr. Crappie line
>Eagle Claw terminal tackle
>Zoom soft plastics
>Often uses vintage reels
>Catches his own live bait
>Fishes off a dinky nigger rigged john boat with a 25 year old Hummin Bird depth finder as his only electronic
>Consistently catches big fucking bass and crappie in pretty pressured water

Does anyone BTFO gearfags harder than this man?
>>
>>2249709
Catching bass with live bait doesn't even count
>>
It's my birthday tomorrow and I'm going fishing.
>>
>>2249716
I hope you catch NOTHING
>>
>>2249717
Then it will be the same as the last 5 times I went and I will have enjoyed it none the less.
>>
>>2249718
Where and what are you fishing for anon?
>>
>>2249720
I live 10 minutes from the Delaware but I'm not sure if I'm going to go there or the Lehigh. Probably bass because that's all I know how to do. I only recently started fishing in larger rivers, I'm used to trout in small creeks
>>
>>2249715
Found the gearfag
>>
Why is fly fishing so hard guys
>>
>>2249830
The learning curve kinda sucks, but it's a blast after you learn the basics
>>
>>2248373
It's a lake trout caught from shore like the other anon
>>2248461
I mainly throw spoons 1/4oz to 3/4oz cause they sink fast and I can easily yeet them out past the drop-off. The 17” laker in my pic was on a 1/4oz gold spoon. Hoping I can land one on fly before the end of the season.
>>
File: PXL_20211116_163403979.jpg (3.4 MB, 3840x2160)
3.4 MB
3.4 MB JPG
Not even a nibble
>>
>>2249943
Nice snap swivel
>>
>>2249944
Thanks I always use them.
>>
>>2249830
Nothing worth doing is easy
>>2249726
Doesbt the Delaware get American shad this time of year? I'd do that.
>>
>>2250020
I thought it was a bit late for shad? Either way I didn't catch anything today lmao.
>>
>>2250053
Not sure desu never fished for em myself
>>
>>2249629
Cool, I’ll put in in the OP

>>2249709
These are the old guys who have been fishing lakes for years and know the structures and spots like the back of their hand. It’s always interesting meeting them, they know every drop off and deep spot and it helps a ton
>>
>>2249629
In.
>>
File: 20211117_115907.jpg (2.84 MB, 2421x3227)
2.84 MB
2.84 MB JPG
Just caught my first legal halibut while surf fishing. Feels good anon
>>
>>2250487
Nice man, I got my first respectable short (~17") last weekend at Torrey Pines on a slack tide in the middle of the day. I think I'm going to make another go of it this saturday and not be lazy and get there before sunrise on an incoming tide.
>>
>>2250487
What does halibut taste like?
>>
>>2250494
It's really good eating, nice white flakey mild flavored fish.
>>
>>2250493
I've been hitting Torrey Pines without luck lately. Caught this bad boy a bit more north at Ponto Beach. Where do you fish at TP? Fat Rock? Near the jetties by the north parking lot? Ill see you out there sometime.
>>
>>2250529
I started fishing about 100-200 yards south of where the cliffs started and I fished my way down past flat Rock and didn't get anything until I was on my way back. Got him on an LC minnow in one of those spots with the structure in the break.
>>
My line won't stop curling. Apparently it's better to do braid into monofil. What braid do you guys recommend for basic pond fishing?
>>
>>2250494
It tasted very delicious. Very mild. Kind of reminds me of tilapia.
>pic related

>>2250532
I have a couple LC minnows I've had no luck on. I know they work, but I've been skunkin. I'll def spend more time trying Torrey Pines. Good luck on Sat anon.
>>
File: 20211117_144409.jpg (4.21 MB, 4032x3024)
4.21 MB
4.21 MB JPG
>>2250548
Forgot the pic
>>
So....I'm debating how long of a fluorocarbon leader to connect to braid. Could go long and fg knot or short and bearing swivel. Those are the two options I am considering at least. Convenience of short leaders and easy palomar knot connections along with twist reduction for swivel connection. Reduced visibility and more direct control for the other.

What are the thoughts? Will probably try both but need to pick to try first.
>>
If another motherfucker talks about visibility with flouro again I swear
>>
>>2250632
I don't have any problems with rocks so literally just use fluorocarbon as a leader because having the braid go straight to the lure is a bitch to work with, you get tangles around the hook's and all sorts

My method is braid on the reel, then setting up for fishing pull the braid through the rings and have some pre-made leaders in a spool using a breakaway mini lure clip, about a meter of flouro and a swivel. Braid gets attached to swivel using a double eye'd uni knot.
>>
>>2250632
Just to add, I don't really think swivels stop line twist, I think that shit is a fuckin meme
>>
>>2250632
I've been going back and forth with this same issue, and I've landed on tying on a 36" leader with a knot, letting it get down to about 18" from breakage or retying then taking at least 24" of braid with it when I do. I go through them quick since I like dropshot rigs. I don't like hitting guides with a knot but I fucking hate hitting guides with swivels.
>>
>>2249943
wonder if your snap swivel is fucking up the worm's action
>>
>>2248877
>Fishing & Tackle Thread

This is perhaps more of a question for /an/, but I'd like to ask you fisherman since it's more like you have some practical experience:

What sort of influence or relationship do Bullfrogs have with: Sunfish, Coarsefish (chub, carp, etc), and Trout.
Is there a species of fish that's particularly good at controlling BULLFROGS?
>>
>>2250632
On almost all of my rods I do an fg outside the rod tip to a fluoro leader where the lure sits just above the guide closest to the reel seat.

>>2250636
Post all the fud articles from "experts" you want, the fact of the matter is fluoro gets bit better than mono on a picky bite. Idk if it's the visibility or the density or it allowing a bait to swim more naturally, but it just works.
>>
>>2250545
Some 15lb Power Pro on a medium spinning combo is nice.

Also if you’re getting bad curls on mono, it means it’s time to respool with fresh line. And try not to use the cheapest shitty quality line, it makes a big difference.
>>
>>2250789
Sunfish murder the fuck out of tadpoles, so do pickerel and Central Mud Minnows. Adult frogs get eaten mostly by bass and pike and other largish predator gamefish.

Rough fish will eat eggs and stuff, but don't pursue tadpoles or adult frogs.
>>
>>2250716
Never had a problem with them before. It's probably more a bad placement of casts. I don't have a functional pair of waders at the moment so my options were limited to fishing from the shore.
>>
>>2250545
If you're gonna use mono, use Trilene XL and nothing higher than 8lb. 8lb and under is pretty limp. For braid, original powerpro is 4 strand and it's very loud/abrasive... so I'd get something with 8 strands like Sufix 832. 15lb braid is retardedly strong, so for medium or medium heavy rods I'd use 10-15lb, medium light rod or less, 10lb. Only thing you gotta watch with braid is that it can get windknots that you can't get out, usually by casting light lures into the wind or not noticing tangles early.
>>
tfw no trout fishing until new year
>>
>>2250642
I have decided I dont like the clips. Maybe if only using a short leader but at eod I'd rather just tie a palomar from braid to a rapala on fluoro/mono leader than use a clip. Palomar is just as easy as clips to me.

>>2250645
I have only used on heavier spinners thus far but it seemed to give better action and less twist. But that would really be the only situation.

>>2250676
This seems not bad to me either but I would rather not have knots OR swivels going through my eyes and definitely would never swivels.

>>2250815
I have considered this but feel like having to tie an fg knot a lot would be a pain.

I think I might just go palomar from braid to rapala fluoro leader. Can tie a bunch of leaders for a day out and swap when needed and keep them at like 6-12 inches. No damage to eyes and twist prevention at the same time.

Thoughts?
>>
>>2251176
100% on retying the fgs while fishing, it's a pita. I always just tie a fresh leader the night before and use a smaller snap, like a v snap or crabkbait snap.
>>
Anyone here into micro fishing in Southern california?
>>
Tried tenkara for steelhead today. Was very surprised how fast I got my first strike, but lost it when I failed to hold the power curve. Was very surprised how much backbone my Amago really has, but whole experience just felt absolutely comical
>>
>>2251502
I do tanago in socal ponds and do UL in the bays and lakes, 0.8-3g jigheads and tiny little hardbaits.
>>
File: received_1027954454435195.jpg (594 KB, 2048x1536)
594 KB
594 KB JPG
Does anyone do trout fishing in saltwater in the US? Here its the most popular type of fishing.
>>
>>2251555
how do they taste?
>>
File: 20200531_165102.jpg (2.05 MB, 2560x1440)
2.05 MB
2.05 MB JPG
Post PB
>>
>>2251555
We have steelhead trout you cant fish them here because their population is too low but in more northen areas people sport fish for them
>>
>>2251552
What species do you usually find?
>>
File: CIMG7847_zps50bda4cc.jpg (87 KB, 1023x679)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
>>2251621
Biggest I have a photo of
>>
>>2251705
For the tanago fishing I've only caught bluegill, but I've seen minnows take the bait, the plan is to use it in the tidepools now that it's the time of year with bigger swings. In the lakes on my spinning rod it's been bluegill and bass. In the bays I've caught tons of spottys, yellowfin croaker, calico, baby halibut, lizard fish, mackerel, pretty much everything.
>>
Any anons from the south of Spain?
I've been "fishing", and I'm using quotes because I don't catch shit, for years with no success.
Mostly because I usually went with friends and a pack of beers, but I'd like some times because I don't want to give up.
I do mostly surf casting but I'm getting into spinning as well.
>>
File: IMG_20210705_071609426.jpg (3.75 MB, 4000x3000)
3.75 MB
3.75 MB JPG
>>2252304
When I have trouble catching, I always move to progressively smaller hooks and baits to target smaller, yet probably more populous fish. I'm not in Spain though, so I'm unfamiliar with what would be hanging out on your coasts...
>>
>>2252304
Find a river
fish for carp
>>
>>2252330
Well the thing here is that the sea is too exploited. When I was a kid you could fish literally everywhere without effort. Now you see people obsessing over competition grade gear in order to make Hercules worth casts... and most of the time no one catches shit.
Spinning has been more productive for me but I still got to find a go to spot.

>>2252396
There's usually trout in rivers here, but there isn't one nearby.
>>
>>2252457
Ya, the med is way overfished. I spearfish as well and guys that dive in Greece and stuff have to drop 150' just for a shot at some hand sized sarago or tiny barracuda and grouper. I know they get decent corvina in Spain, but idk if they're like ours that you can catch surf fishing.
>>
>>2252457
>>2252509
Sorry bros, that's really depressing...
>>
>>2251072
ice fishing?
>>
File: PXL_20211027_235600377.jpg (2.7 MB, 4032x3024)
2.7 MB
2.7 MB JPG
>>2250676
>>2251176
I've also tried like your describing, but with leaders I make. Something I've found which works pretty well is making a loop in the braid, and having your leaders (typically under 12" and usually a heavier mono) include a swivel at the back and a snap swivel at the front. I don't tie the leader just pass the loop through the swivel, then the whole leader through the loop. You swap them out by pulling the braid loop back through. It's a pain when it's dark or cold to grab that little braid loop but it's better than retying.

I still find a 10 pound braid to 8lb fluoro leader knot is small enough to cast well, you should give it a try.
>>
File: nines.jpg (24 KB, 589x519)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
Looking for peak performance eye ware for fishing. What you got?
>>
File: 11727392_1.jpg (94 KB, 929x929)
94 KB
94 KB JPG
>>2252741
>>
>>2252741
Well obviously polarised and you want a frame shape that is fairly closely shaped to the head, like one of those oakleys, to have eye protection from hooks.
>>
>>2252457
Spain has Wels correct? Thats about the best inshore approximation of sea fishing, go for it
>>
File: solpara.jpg (345 KB, 1536x2048)
345 KB
345 KB JPG
Using a Solpara SPXT-76ML with a abu garcia Cardinal II - really nice set up for light fishing. Telescopic fishing rods are really the best !!!
>>
Now that I'm finally in my career, I have a lot less time to fish. However, I'll have enough money to fish how I like on the weekends or vacation. I'm gonna try to save up and take a few day trip to Miami or something to fish for peacock bass in a few months. Should I hire a guide or just do a bunch or research and go on my own? I'm a fairly experienced angler, but I have no experience with anything outside of south carolina. I can't recall the last time I saw one of the Florida ppl catch 1.
>>
>>2252975
If you can afford a guide, hire a guide
>>
>>2252981
Seconded, if I'm going on a fishing focused trip I'm going to just budget in a boat or guide. Seems like a waste to go any kind of distance and waste time trying to figure out spots and stuff.
>>
>>2252741
Costa 580g preferably in amber is the best
do not get 580p
>>
>>2252304
Consider using a paddle board or a drone to target structure that even Heracles couldn't shore cast to.
>>
>>2252981
Hey Skid, what kind of turnout are we seeing so far on the secret Santa sign up?
>>
File: 1620693335373.png (621 KB, 976x1014)
621 KB
621 KB PNG
How the fuck do you catch a trout?
I can catch bass, perch, crappie, pickerel, catfish, sunnies, etc; but I can't catch trout at all but I want to.
What do I do?
>>
>>2253143
I believe we're at 5
>>2253163
Fly fishing
>>
>>2253185
I just got into fly fishing and catch only sun fish.
>>
>>2253185
How do I sign up for sekrit santa
>>
>>2253215
See
>>2249629

>>2253204
Git gud
>>
>>2252304
>>2253139
agreed, that surf looks calm
go out at dawn when the wind is calm on a paddle board or surfboard and jig or troll a lure, or even drag bait along the bottom
bet your odds of catching something go way up
>>
>>2253163
Are you sure there are trout where you Fish? Keep in mind they are a cold water fish
>>
>>2249629
sorry not giving my home address to a furry I'm not tryna get AIDS
>>
>>2250632
I just run all my baitcasting reels with straight flourocarbon. Sometimes, if the spool is bigger than 100, I'll go half braid (diameter equivalent to the flouro) and half flouro. All my spinning reels are not like this, it's 95% braid (NOT equivalent diameter, I'll run 10 pound braid) and last 5% flouro so I don't have to deal with tying new leaders. Knots smacking guides doesn't matter with spinning, but with baitcasting it can fuck your shit up, especially if throwing big swimbaits / glides.

End of the year, I'll replace all my flouro. Now is a good time to stock up on terminal tackle as black Friday nears, I got 2 spools of Sunline Sniper FC, all 660 yard spools, for less than $100 today. That lasts me like ~2 years, for my spinning set ups, a single 200 yard spool lasts me that same time.

If you're worried about using straight flouro, a good tip is getting that reel magic spray that Lew's makes, spraying your spools lightly the night before fishing, and it'll be gucci with next to no memory.
>>
>>2253291
>he doesn't want pube flies
Your loss lol
>>
>>2249629
>that email
lmfao you must be joking. Between this and the pubes are you intentionally trying to be a laughing stock?
>>
>>2253295
Part of the reason you don't want the leader knot to go through the guides is because it wears the knot out faster and can cause issues while reeling a fish in. Using same diameter braid is kind of a waste as well, one of the main reasons I use braid is for reduced diameter which increases cast distance, sensitivity and lower resistance in the water. Also braid has a much longer life span than mono or fluoro as long as you keep it out of the sun. I have braid on my offshore rods that is 3-5 years old and still catching tuna, you're probably spending more money restringing your reels with fluoro every year. And memory is a non issue with braid. Not to knock how you do it, if it works for you in your fishery that's great, just wanted to expound a little bit on other reasons why things are done a certain way for the guy asking the questions.
>>
I only buy Abu Garcia because they are the best looking reels. Shimano and Daiwa are just ugly.
>>
>>2253520
Funny, I buy shimano and daiwa for the same reason. Well that and better quality I guess.
>>
>>2253511
you must be new
>>
Looking like a CSGO knife
>>
>>2253546
Chinese reels on wish and aliexpress even more so.

desu I wouldn't mind one just for fun if it weren't dogshit quality
>>
File: unknown-4_copy_1329x886.png (2.06 MB, 1329x886)
2.06 MB
2.06 MB PNG
>>2253520
Lmao, really?
>>2253527
Based.
>>
Anyone tried the new Nasci? I just ordered a 3k. Will update but it seems like it may be the new best $99 reel. I'll compare it to the stradic directly and some other $100 reels like the battle3,4, and my legalis
Is anyone interested in a short write-up when it arrives and I fish it?
>>
Do you like your gear ratio low or high? Why?
>>
>>2253582
Usually higher cuz you can slow down your reeling easier than speeding it up. Only exception is when catching BIG fish, that granny gear helps a lot when you're reeling in a 50lb+ tuna.
>>
Caught some more bonito today
>>
>>2253520
imagine buying a reel named after the monkey from aladdin
>>
>>2253541
Im not, its my fault really at being shocked when people display how little shame they truly have
>>
>>2253520
okuma master race
>>
>>2253285
I know they stock them in the spring and I'm pretty sure there's native trout too because I keep seeing people catch them on fishbrain in my area.
>>
>>2253582
High, you can always reel slower... but it's annoying to have a really slow gear ratio when retrieving lures that sink fast. Medium speed is fine, but uber slow is annoying.
>>
File: images.jpg (8 KB, 249x202)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>2253582
>his reel doesn't reel for him
Who needs speeds?

For real, though, it's fully situational. Too high can be managed, but sometimes a winch Is what you actually need.
>>
>>2253676
Okuma is the Mazda to Shimano/Daiwa's Toyota/Honda. Good performance and underappreciated with a niche fanbase.
>>
File: 20211123_093429.jpg (2.81 MB, 2576x1932)
2.81 MB
2.81 MB JPG
my fall order of $100 in steelhead jigs arrived today from Skid! I'm super happy with the quality. He even threw in some bonus shit.
>>
File: 20211123_094136.jpg (2.23 MB, 2576x1932)
2.23 MB
2.23 MB JPG
>>2253757
More organized. Skid, invest in some dime baggies so you dont have to mail all these jigs in a rats nest.
>>
File: 20211123_094416.jpg (1.52 MB, 2576x1932)
1.52 MB
1.52 MB JPG
>>2253760
love these glitterbuggers.
>>
File: 20211123_120426.jpg (3.38 MB, 2576x1932)
3.38 MB
3.38 MB JPG
>>2253761
took skids advice and tied an egg fly on the back. looks amazing in the water.
>>
File: 20211123_120611.jpg (2.16 MB, 2576x1932)
2.16 MB
2.16 MB JPG
>>2253762
off to catch urban steelhead in metro detroit
>>
File: 20211123_122016.jpg (1.19 MB, 1916x2576)
1.19 MB
1.19 MB JPG
>>2253763
she looks great wet. thanks again skid! cant wait to have fun with the rest.
>>
File: 20211122_143933.jpg (660 KB, 1210x1607)
660 KB
660 KB JPG
>>2253676
>>2253698
i only use okuma reels. rocking a C-30 reel with 6lb yo-zuri hybrid line, and an 8'6 L-ML okuma SST rod.
>>
>>2253698
That analogy would work if it wasn't Taiwanese
>>
>>2253582
I use 30-34 inches per turn reels for conventional tackle, 34" on my spinning set-ups, 30-32" for my baitcasting, both are considered high gear.

For swimbait fishing, I prefer an extra high gear, so 36-40" per turn, helps with getting in the slack caused by a large glidebait when it glides. To combat the loss of torque, just get a longer handle.
>>
>>2248877
What's the best way to unhook walleyes? I forgot my lipper at the house and got bit in the thumb for my troubles.
>>
>>2253757
>>2253760
>>2253761
>>2253762
>>2253763
>>2253765
glad to hear you like them. i throw those sparkle buggers in warm water with success, too.
>>
>>2253768
Well it used to be part a Japanese territory.
>>
File: 1453115656648.png (518 KB, 500x720)
518 KB
518 KB PNG
>>2253760
>no pube flies
>>
>>2253788
Grip it around the head and use needle nose pliers or forceps
>>
>>2253677
Tell us what area and we might be able to help.
>>
>>2253788
My thumb has enough callous for me to just lip them, at least for the 2-3 lb eaters I mostly catch.
>>
File: 20211117_141941.jpg (1.61 MB, 4032x1816)
1.61 MB
1.61 MB JPG
>>
File: 20211117_141944.jpg (1.54 MB, 4032x1816)
1.54 MB
1.54 MB JPG
>>
>>2253693
What do you tie on skid? I was considering the nor vise.
>>
File: IMG_20211124_201259525.jpg (3.63 MB, 4000x3000)
3.63 MB
3.63 MB JPG
>>2253788
Bought me another lipper today. Only managed to catch one before my hands froze off though.
>>
>>2254299
i run an odyssey spyder from griffin, its about $100 and it seems to do everything i need.
>>
File: IMG_20211124_225950043.jpg (3.87 MB, 4000x3000)
3.87 MB
3.87 MB JPG
Caught a big crappie
>>
File: EmY7YOLW8AIEUhZ.jpg_large.jpg (441 KB, 2048x1853)
441 KB
441 KB JPG
>get gf
>Tell her to not shave her pubes
>Make flys out of her pubes
>Catch tons of fish
>?????
> Profit

Is such a task possible?

My gf is blond so maybe I could do something with it
>>
>>2254366
Yes, it's possible. I did this to my gf but haven't made Flys...
>>
what's the cheapest I can go on a tenkara rod,?
which one do you guys recommend?
>>
File: feelsbadman.png (195 KB, 600x400)
195 KB
195 KB PNG
>tfw broke a rod my father gifted me so I have to buy it again so he won't know I broke it
>>
>>2254438
Ask him to buy you a new one
>>
File: IMG_20211125_170013.jpg (3.25 MB, 2173x1629)
3.25 MB
3.25 MB JPG
Getting the hang of this squid thing
>>
>>2254438
did you at least break it catching a freakishly large fish?
>>
>>2254584
inb4 broke from a door
>>
>>2254584
No my bait got snagged and I was pulling on it like a retard and it basically exploded. Telescopic rod so not as strong as a regular rod.
>>
>>2254578
Do you eat that?
>>
>>2254604
why wouldn't I?
>>
>>2254597
Point the rod at the lure if you're gonna try to horse it out of a snag.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EknBUpJWQhw&ab_channel=VickyStark

For me it's Vicky stark
>>
>>2254620
Or, you know, wrap your hand with a rag and wrap the line around hand+rag and pull it out.
>>
>>2254578
how deep did you go?
>>
>>2254654
I guess, if you want to make it more difficult than it has to be.
>>
>>2254679
a few meters from shore and only a meter or two deep. I am thinking of making a squid fly and targeting them with the fly rod
>>
>>2254687
>squid fly and targeting them with the fly rod
fly fishing for squid
not that long ago it was only for trout and only in rivers, only recently it was used for catching other fish
let us know how it goes
>>
>>2254710
it might take me a while to design a fly pattern that will work :D
>>
>>2254713
well however long it takes im sure a lot of people will want to hear how it goes,
>>
File: whiting-whole.jpg (65 KB, 796x540)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
Local grocery store has whiting for sale for dirt cheap. Anyone think it could work as cut bait for channel catfish?
>>
>>2254726
is it oily?
>>
>>2254728
Dont know, didnt really inspect it while i was there just noticed the price was low. Is oily fish better for catfish bait?
>>
>>2254730
I know (from reading only) that catfish detect the oils off of things like chicken livers or even bird feathers, they also smell their food, their eyesight isn't their primary sense, as they are bottom feeders
>>
>>2254726
Test it and report back, anon. Can't hurt can it?
>>
>>2254726
You can use virtually anything. I caught one on beef jerky once to prove a point
>>
>>2253698
Some of their stuff is actually more impressive than virtually all competitors. For capacity/strength and also including a clicker(which none of the direct competitors did) the citrix is a great baitcaster. Use the ceymar reels for ice fishing too and pretty satisfied
>>
>>2254299
I have an HMH Spartin
>>2254419
Chinese fiberglass rods from that commerce website are usually <$15... or just build a cane pole out of a stick.
>>2254687
godspeed
>>
>>2254816
Ya I know, the Makaira 2 speeds are 9ne of the go to tuna cow reels next to penn internationals
>>
Tacklewarehouse sale is live. I think I'm going to hold off this year.
>>
>>2253517
>leader knot getting damaged through guides
Not an issue when your guides are good. All my rods either have Fuji Torzite or SiC's and I've never had a problem, even when I've made 500 casts and suddenly catch a 5 pound rainbow that fights hard at the end of the day.
>same diameter braid is bad
Not with baitcasting gear. If you run too light braid, it'll dig into itself and cause massive, massive issues. Even then, half my spool is braid, half is flouro, I never touch my braid. That's why on my 200 size reels and 300 size reels, it's half braid, to save on money like you described.

The rest of my baitcasters are size 150, 100, and 70 spools, with each increasing size having a step up in diameter line, which equates to about ~70-80 yards at most. Not wasting money when it holds so little.
>>
>>2254888
You're incorrect, but like I said if it works for you and your fishery then there's no reason you should change it. There's just a lot of new ppl in this thread.
>>
>>2254892
Incorrect where, he's correct on the baitcaster braid diameter.
>>
I use 30lb braid as minimum on baitcasters.
>>
I use 10 -14 lb mono on all my baitcasters
>>
>>2248877
What's supposed to be a good eating size for perch? This is only like the 3rd one I've ever caught and I'm only considering keeping him because I got a couple of crappies to go with him too.
>>
>>2254903
Sure if you don't spool it under load properly.
>>
>>2254994
That looks like a fine eating size
>>
>>2254999
No, wrong.
>>2254909
This is the common recommendation everywhere on every forum I've read including Tackle Tour, Swimbait Underground, etc. once you go below 30 pound (~14 pound equivalent) it'll dig into itself if you fight a hard fighting fish. BFS doesn't count, you barely have any line and any drag for this to be an issue.
>>
>>2254909
I also use thick braid on my baitcasters.
>>2254917
Not a fan of mono/fluro on baitcasters because the memory will cause it to un-spool and cause issues.
>>2255033
Only use mono/fluro on my spinning gear. Thin braid I am afraid it will cut my index finger and I feel like the difference you get in casting distance is neglectable.
>>
File: Vince_Stark.jpg (59 KB, 478x476)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>2254633
Fuck off "Vicky."
>>
>>2254994
Depends on the fishery, lots of places, you'll never see them any bigger than decent bluegill, other places you'll toss back everything that isn't a lb.
>>
>>2255046
I was using 8lb braid on my baitcaster and can confirm it cut into the calluses on my wet hands. I think the higher pound test would also be better for yanking out birds nests without breaking the line.
>>
File: 20211126_123615.jpg (1.14 MB, 2208x2944)
1.14 MB
1.14 MB JPG
Thanksgiving hawg
>>
>>2255033
Sounds like a bunch of guys that can't spool a reel properly. Understandable, there's a lot of fuds out there.
>>
>>2255046
>Thin braid I am afraid it will cut my index finger and I feel like the difference you get in casting distance is neglectable

It actually makes a bigger difference than you'd think and it's worth it if distance is a factor where you fish. One thing you can do is tie a 10-12' length of heavier braid with an fg knot. My stickbait and popper rod for tuna and yellowtail goes 30lb braid to a 12' length of 65lb braid to a 50lb fluoro leader outside the top guide.
>>
First ice fishing walterhead>>2255087
of the season!
>>
>>2255128
It has nothing to do with how you spool your reel. Even if it's taught while spooling, there's certain fishing techniques that won't have constant tension when reeling in your line, which will cause said braid dig-in problems.

Stop being a fag.
>>
>>2254823
>I have an HMH Spartin
How do you like it? I wish it wasn’t an extra $30 for the bobbin holder.
>>
>Page 7
Jesus
>>
>>2255842
Most of my new phone pics need edited to fit this thread and I haven't been at a computer for the last week
>>
>>2255842
I haven't even fished since the end of June. Maybe Tuesday I'll hit the surf
>>
anyone here catch yellowtail off the kayak? think I'm about ready to start making attempts off my fishing paddleboard
>>
>>2256021
Don't die in LJ anon
>>
>>2254732
I have an uncle that uses Bar S hotdogs for catfish bait and it works pretty well.
>>
File: 20211029_171515.jpg (1.98 MB, 4032x1816)
1.98 MB
1.98 MB JPG
I like topwater
>>
File: 1637375400932.png (79 KB, 1003x731)
79 KB
79 KB PNG
>>
>>2251514
I haven't posted in here in months but I was like our only Tenkara fisher. Glad to hear you hooked into one. It is incredibly efficient. What were you using?
>>
I need to catch a chain pickerel before 2022 here in the Piedmont east of the blue ridge in order to win a bet. I have fly rods, spinning rigs, metal leaders. What should I throw and where/when?
>>
>>2254732
catfish aren't very picky. rolled up bread balls work as well as ivory soap. Lotta shit that catfish like.
>>
just moved to charlotte

any nc anons familiar with fishing in the area?

no boat
>>
File: IMG_20211128_235833.jpg (3.65 MB, 4608x3456)
3.65 MB
3.65 MB JPG
starting to do some fly tying, here is a Sunray shadow for sea trout and a self designed pink fly for garfish based on research which suggests that garfish like small pink or orange flies and a small hook to fit in their small throats
>>
>>2256174
from what I know about pike, if you want a small one near the surface, I would use a small silver mepps and make sure it's retrieved slowly but within the first meter depth
>>
>>2248877
I want to start fishing though I don't exactly know what type of Line lbs i should use for a beginner? Any advice?
>>
>>2256497
Bass fishing from the bank
>>
>>2256611
>>
>>2256617
What types of fish can I get with this anon?
>>
>>2256619
Every one if you're good enough....
>>
>>2256624
I'm assuming any fish that weighs past the 8lb line will be a no go?
>>
Hey fuckers, haven't been here in a couple years
What have I missed in the past 200 or so fishing tackle threads
Seems like all is the same as it's ever been
Have been busy catching fish
>>
>>2256625
That's why your reel has a Drag system.
>>
>>2256626
Literally nothing
at the end of the day these threads aren't going to go beyond newbies asking questions and the occasional big fish being show
>>
File: PXL_20210717_095643213.jpg (2.73 MB, 4032x3024)
2.73 MB
2.73 MB JPG
>>2256630
I don't even have many fish pics to show for my time gone
>>
File: IMG_20210621_030909190.jpg (1.18 MB, 3264x2448)
1.18 MB
1.18 MB JPG
>>2256625
No just learn to manage drag and not try to flip fish out of the water. I routinely catch 20-40lb catfish on 20lb line and almost never break off.
>>
>>2255333
The lever works good and the assembly seems solid. No complaints yet. I've never used a bobbin holder so that wasn't a consideration for me.
>>
>>2256022
what's life without risks?
(jk i'm buying all the safety gear + a ring buoy to tie onto the board)
>>
What is a good ultralight setup for a multi-week backpacking trip. Rod/Reel, hard case, reel storage, etc. Hard case preferred as I don't want my rod breaking as I haul my other equipment
>>
https://www.fao.org/3/t0511e/T0511E02.htm#chII.2
>the UN is useless
>>
Thinking about getting a Piscifun Carbon X 2500 size and pairing it with a 7’ Lightning Rod I have laying around. I’m trying to throw heavy lures, around 3/4 to 1 Oz since my other set up is pretty light.
>>
Can anyone tell me more about this rod? It reads

Fenwick
9 feet/ 5 ounces
Jim Green Autograph

Jim Green was a pretty iconic figure, so its cool his name is on it. I think the rod was made between 1955 and 1962, but I could be wrong about that, based on the metal ferrule.

Its a two piece fly fishing rod.
>>
Went ahead and confirmed everyone then distributed shipping information and desired products. Secret santa is officially in swing.
>>
>>2254633
check'd and I hate women so much it's unreal, but for me it's big, fake titty asian bitches, and I don't even like asian women

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iepg3Wg6RWY

>has better tackle as well than 99% of this fucking thread
>>
>>2257295
Thanks for coordinating.
>>
File: 20211129_210736.jpg (3.09 MB, 4032x1816)
3.09 MB
3.09 MB JPG
>>2248877
Goodwill sells some nice fishing stuff.
>>
>>2256611
Depends on what you plan to catch, hard to give a recommendation without knowing. I would recommend 20lb braid for spinning rods, 30lb braid for bait casters, if its general use. Or 10-12lb mono/fluoro for spinning and bait casters. You want to go as heavy as possible while maintaining practicality. Playing out the fish with light line and drag is a boomer/retard "skill test" that greatly increases the mortality rate for catch and release.
>>
>>2253546
I had the Ike spinning reel and matching rod because of the color and sold it off because it the reel was heavy and rod wasn't as sensitive as comparably priced rods. It's a damn shame because it looked so good.
>>
How do you deal with freezing hands when winterfishing?
>>
>>2257613
Gloves/mittens and hand warmers.
Take breaks from fishing and warm your hands in your pockets if necessary.
Remember to keep your core and head warm.
>>
>>2257613
Break open a pack of handwarmers and keep in mittens, wear mittens between walking to each spot and for lazy casts, part of warming up the body is moving, keep hiking and moving toes and fingers. Handwarmers are your best friend.
>>
File: Snapchat-887051254.jpg (1.04 MB, 1680x3416)
1.04 MB
1.04 MB JPG
Boys, it finally happend.
>>
>>2257613
Nitrile gloves give you a surprising amount of benefit, while leaving you dexterous enough to do basically anything. I have a set of those half finger gloves with the flip over mitten that I wear over the nitrile mechanics gloves.

But the top strats for keeping your fingers warm are
#3 move
#2 do shit in the cold so your body gets used to it
#1 have good circulation (ie don't be pre-diabetic or a woman).

#1 is hard, it is unacheivable for like 75% of Americans.
>>
>>2257613
just cheap disposable hand warmers, and hobo gloves, shove ya hands in ya pockets
>>
>>2257613
>procure pic related
>procure hand warmer
>use pic related to strap hand warmer on to the inside of my wrist
>fish in freezing water
>literally snowing
>blood flowing in to hands is warm, my hands are warm4v0vs
>>
>>2257849
>>2257613
forgot pic fucc
>>
>>2257709
Where did you get that
>>
File: 1638394010140.jpg (958 KB, 1857x1075)
958 KB
958 KB JPG
what type/size flies do folks throw for winter brookies?
>>
>>2258177
I don't normally get to fish brookies, much less in the winter, but I would probably be throwing pheasant tails or zebra midges in the #18-22 size. Dvwhr
>>
>>2257849
This....seems like a good idea!
>>
Reminder if you fish with Shimano and/or Daiwa, you're part of the master race.
>>
>>2258272
I don't even know any other reel or rod brands other than diawa or shimano

but their terminal tackle/rigs/lures are overpriced shit
>>
>>2257016
St. Croix Triumph 4 piece or Shimano Zodias 4 piece. Take a light fixture protective tube, cut it down to size, viola you have a rod tube. Yeah, you're going to think 'how can that protect a rod' but it surprisingly does well. Have used this exact tube for my Zodias for a year now, 4 years with my St. Croix, never had a problem.

My high end fly rod definitely goes into an aluminum tube that it came with though. Not taking any chances with that shit.
>>
Can a person get enough nutrients and fats on fish alone?
>>
File: 1603140354703.jpg (63 KB, 1080x1080)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>>2258317
perhaps
>>
>>2258276
>>2257016
Fenwick eagle 3 or 4 piece. Comes with a hard tube. You can buy reel cases/pouches for cheap on ebay
>>
>>2258272
Penn/Okuma/Avet all make good reels as well.
>>
>>2258272
Daiwa edges out Shimano tbqh fampai.
Stella ain't what it used to be. Steez is the best memecaster on the market, and outside of DC reels there's no reason to buy Shimano memecasters at all.
If you splurge on spinning reels then Daiwa is better with the oversized main gears.
Shimano has better budget items and better flagship rods I'd say.
>>
>>2258405
I disagree, I've handled the the Exist and Stella, still have my Stella and the amount of abuse I've given it, it still is brand new. Wasn't really overly impressed with the Exist compared to the Stella. The Stradic Ci4+'s I have though are grindy after a few years, that pisses me off, but I replaced them with Vanquish's and they're damn good (and ridiculously lightweight). Haven't fucked with a Vanford, don't plan to. Steez, it skips better I'll admint that, and the T-wing is pretty cool, but I can't get rid of my Antares's, Conquests, and Metanium's. The new 2020 Metanium is 10/10.

DC is a huge gamechanger. For a long time I didn't want to jump on that bandwagon because "only noobs need that" but after getting an Antares MD XG for swimbaiting, holy shit I should've.
>>
>>2258433
Forgot to mention, for swimbaiting, Daiwa shits on Shimano. The Curado 300K and Tranx are shit compared to the Tatula 300 and other offerings, like the Z2020.
>>
>Got hired for a new job today
>Literally right next to my local fishing spot, less then 88m (288 feet) from the water
>it's winter
Maybe I'll try ice fishing I guess
>>
>>2258539
Can you drink at work? You gotta have a good buzz going for ice fishing, and not a regular 3 beer fishing buzz, the whiskey fuzz buzz at minimum
>>
>>2258720
>Can you drink at work?
Literally a Christian ministry kindergarten so i HIGHLY doubt it, but nothing stopping me from drinking after work and if i have the opening shift i can be out by like ~10- 11.00 and if its a closing shift i dont meet up until until ~9.30- 10.00

is morning or evening fishing better for the coldest months? never done it before (Perch and Pike btw)
>>
>>2258737
Finnfag here, in my experience the morning bite seems to have longer time window at least. Last time I was "ice fishing" (from a pier as there were no proper ice...) I had most activity between 10:00-11:00.

Gonna go on ice tomorrow, super stoked even though the lake I'm going to has mostly just cyprinids.
>>
>>2258758
nice! thank you, my smooth brain line of thinking was that shade would matter less due to the ice
>>
I want a fishing pole to with me while backpacking. How do I decide what's appropriate between the different styles (e.g, fly, baitcast, spin)? Does it depend on location, season and the fishing hole (i.e, lake vs river)? I live in Oregon, if that matters.

I don't own any gear right now (used to have a nice fly fishing pole), and I'm more than willing to own a few poles if it means I might have better luck in different scenarios, like out on a lake fishing from a raft (where I imagine baitcasting is preferred over fly fishing?) vs wading or floating a river (where I imagine flyfishing is more effective).
>>
And what's the difference in tackle between bass and trout fishing?
>>
And why is tenkara shit on so hard?
>>
>>2258785
Trout fishing is a lot lighter than bass fishing.

>>2258790
It's turbo hipster stuff, that being said if you enjoy it then go for it
>>
File: micetailwhitebubblegum.jpg (631 KB, 1992x2052)
631 KB
631 KB JPG
>>2258785
Trout lures are smaller and tend to mimic bugs and small minnows, as opposed to bigger shad and crawdads like bass lures. At least for rainbows and brookies. Lakers and big brownies are a different story.
>>
File: 973.jpg (6 KB, 200x202)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
>go to my favorite trout spot
>wade to them middle of the stream and see multiple shiny things in the water
>wade closer to look
>5 fucking brand spanking new rooster tails all caught in some anti-erosion mat
>all in the same spot
>some idiot got snagged, lost his lure, threw FOUR FUCKING MORE thinking it wasn't going to happen again
>mfw i picked those suckers up and caught two trout with this retard's lures
>>
File: 0xcsrt.jpg (584 KB, 2048x1536)
584 KB
584 KB JPG
>>2258841
I have a bunch of feather jigs broken off into the same brush pile. I'd either snag or catch a crappie, nothing in between.
>>
>>2258780
I would be using a small light spinning rod if I wanted a setup that worked in both tiny streams and the banks of large lakes, something like a 5-25 gram spinning rod
>>
>>2258844
>>2258844
What wt rod do I want?

I'm trying to minimize weight so I was looking at the Redington Zero* (2.8oz) reel and the Redington Hydrogen Rod^ (2.1oz). I was thinking 4wt would be good, but I dont' know anything. Still researching a bunch and referencing this guys list: https://lighterpack.com/r/qnzmi1

*https://www.redington.com/fly-fishing-reels/zero
^https://www.redington.com/lighten-up-with-the-hydrogen
>>
>>2258844
And does fly fishing work well in alpine lakes? I was reading about some boomer bubble casting stuff but idk.
>>
>>2258887
Not him, but just get a UL 2 piece spinning rod/reel. If you're just starting out, a spinning rod is piss easy to use and covers all your needs, lake or river.
>>
>>2258826
>>2258795
I think I'm gonna stick to trout. I know for sure I want a traditional flyfishing rod and wheel, light and foldable and good for lakes / big rivers. I also want something strictly for smaller and tighter spots, and that's so light and packable it's silly not to bring it when I know there's gonna be water. This is where Tenkara seems to shine, but I don't think I'd like not having a reel and wonder if something like this could work too: https://douglasoutdoors.com/fly-rods/upstream-series/

And just to be clear, I'm fishing in order to eat what I catch, I have no interest in catch and release. I see a lot of Tenkara fishers catching tiny little inedible fish and I don't have an interest in that.
>>
>>2258893
Why not flyfishing? I've never really taken my fishing seriously (starting to now) but used to have a flyfishing pole, and I've spin fished a bit. Flyfishing is lighter, and more fun too (imo). Hope it works well enough on lakes though
>>
>>2258900
My bad, I thought you were brand spanking new. If you're already familiar with fly fishing, then it doesn't really matter what you bring.
>>
File: 11b.gif (331 KB, 500x403)
331 KB
331 KB GIF
What do if you fall into a fairly a big river with strong current? Happens occasionally that people fall into the river here and drown.
>>
>>2258907
You drown
>>
>>2258903
Any recommendations for light, packable rods? What wt do you think I want? I'm willing to buy more than one pole. I think ideally I'd have a bigger one when I know I'm lake-bound or my trip is fishing centered, and another (possibly tenkara) that's so light it's painless to bring and use it.
>>
>>2258907
If you are wearing a wading belt, you laugh and float down the river while you get soaking wet and lose all your tackle.
If not, you drown.
>>
>>2258907
Wear a wading belt
>>
>>2256117
send this to Jeremy wade
>>
>>2258918
>>2258920
I don't have wadding pants because I don't wad. At certain sections you can just fall in from the side and get washed away.
>>
had a few more fly orders, this is two orders totaling 3 dozen flies.
>>
I am sorry to say, but bass fishing is not real fishing.
>>
>>2259078
(you)
>>
>>2258900
Fly fishing absolutely works on lakes. Just look in to still water fly fishing.
>>2258914
What size of fish are you targeting?
>>
>>2258914
I brought a 4 piece maxcatch fly rod a few days ago, it's seriously lightweight. Get a 4 or 6wt maybe and that will be fine for lakes during moderate winds

fly reels are usually pretty heavy but I bet you could find an extremely lightweight plastic one out there somewhere
>>
File: IMG_20210804_212137.jpg (4.06 MB, 3699x3456)
4.06 MB
4.06 MB JPG
>>2259078
say that again to my face and not online fucker and see what happens
>>
>>2259225
>acting tough on a Nigerian sandal mending forum
>cropping his face from his pictures
>>
>>2259197
>Fly fishing absolutely works on lakes. Just look in to still water fly fishing.
Sweet! I had only ever done it where spin casting is uncommon (non-still water), so wasn't sure.

>What size of fish are you targeting?
I'm not really interested in fish that's not big enough to eat, since most of my fishing will be taking place while camping and I'll be wanting to have some fresh fish for dinner.

That said, I'm willing to own a few poles for different occasions, like a super packable and ligtweight tenkara that I always take and a proper rod/reel when I know I'm gonna be fishing. Anything from backcountry streams to alpine lakes, and later this year I'll probably by some fly gear rated for catching salmon or big fish (8wt+).

So I think I want a tenkara for super tiny streams, and a 4wt rod/reel for lakes and bigger rivers? Is a 5' tenkara too small? They also make an 8', and of course traditional sizes (11'+ are available).
https://tinytenkara.com/products/tiny-ten-rod
>>
>>2259228
get a 6wt glass fly rod
>easily fish small streams while backpacking
>insanely durable compared to graphite rods
>thus can be packed in lightweight sleeve instead of heavy tube
>can put a 500 or 1000 spinning reel on it to fish still water
>glass can cast wider range of lure weights compared graphite
if you are only bringing one rod, this is the one
>>
>>2259228
A 5' isn't gonna cast properly at all, you might get away with 8' on small streams as long as it's not too stiff but the more traditional lengths will be better for sure
>>
>>2259228
Id say get a 4 weight cabelas cgr for small stuff and a 4 piece 6 weight fir still water.
As for tenkara, I wouldn't bother.
>>
>>2259236
>A 5' isn't gonna cast properly at all, you might get away with 8' on small streams as long as it's not too stiff but the more traditional lengths will be better for sure
I think it was designed for 'bow and arrow' casting, and reviewers seem to enjoy the cast. But it seems better suited to catching that are so small they're not even edible..

>>2259246
>As for tenkara, I wouldn't bother.
Why not? Casting with a reel is probably a lot more fun (I've never tried tenkara so idk), but it does seem suitable for 'tight spots' that fly rods can't cast in. It's also slightly more packable.
>>
>>2259236
>but the more traditional lengths will be better for sure
There's a tenkara Iwana for sale near me for $130. Thinking about getting it. If I do, what wt and length fly rod/reel should I be looking at so that they have minimal use case overlap?

>>2259235
What length do you recommend? Any brands in particular? I like the idea of packing my rod outside my bag, so something more durable may be nice. But the graphite ones are super light and you can use a fluroscent light tube instead of the stock ones to save weight. But you make good arguements for the versatility.
>>
>>2259251
The only thing a tenkara rod would be better than a normal fly rod for would be bow and arrow casting. Honestly, though, with a double taper fly line and a fiberglass rod you can rollcast with very little clearance. The best way I've heard it described is that any fish you catch on a tenkara rod could have been caught on a standard fly rod, but not the other way around. Personally i don't think the couple of ounces and cubic inches saved by abandoning the reel makes up for the performance limitations, even if you wind up not using it.
>>
>>2259226
>he didn't get the joke
aw cmon skid
>>
>>2259301
Ok, so I think I'm gonna go with these. 5wt 9' rod w/ a 4/5wt reel, super good prices (if not a scam) imo:
https://www.salefishingrods.com/products/Redington-Hydrogen-Fly-Rod.html
https://www.ebay.com/itm/392308823907?epid=1842049350&hash=item5b576d9763:g:H2kAAOSww~Bc9xHN:sc:ShippingMethodStandard!98671!US!-1

My first trip is gonna be around the Nehalem river and a small nearby lake, so I'm hoping this is an appropriate choice. Later I'd like to get a pole more suitable to small streams, like a 2-3wt, and next year maybe get something heavy enough for salmon or saltware. Sound good?
>>
>>2259315
careful that website looks scammy. there are dozens of scam fishing tackle sites that show up on the first page of gooble searches. they all list rods at unreasonable discounts like that.
>>
>>2259321
>careful that website looks scammy.
Found a similar deal on ebay (so I can return if scam, but the seller has a good rep). Is this a good pole/reel combo for a trip involving a big river and a lake? If so, I'll pull the trigger and get a 2/3wt for smaller stream fishing later.
>>
>>2259323
There are some strange deals on eBay. I got my Abu Revo a few years back on eBay for like $110 when it was $160 or some shit literally every other retailer. The thing was brand new in box, perfect condition, not some old outdated model or something. Came with a card advertising the seller’s actual website, so my best guess is maybe they take a bit of a hit on eBay to drive people to their actual website for return business. Or possibly companies like Abu control their MSRP tightly on authorized dealers and the dealer can get around it on eBay and make a smaller profit to get people to their shop. I think the same reel was full MSRP on their actual website, same as Bass Pro and Cabela’s and Tackle Warehouse
>>
>>2258953
If you are worried just wear a fishing life preserve such as the ones you'd use kayak fishing. And don't face first log flume down the river and you'll be fine.
>>
>>2259327
Yeah I've noticed this too. Sometimes stuff is 10% above retail price on ebay, other times there's mysterious deals. It says brand new so I'm taking it and I'll make sure it's authentic, not refurbished, and matches specs when it arrives. Pretty stoked though as this keeps my bill around $200 for the gear I wanted.

Is a 5wt 9' good for fishing lakes and big rivers though? It gets recommended a lot as a generally versatile pole. I'll get something smaller later.
>>
>>2259327
I got a 2 speed fathom 40 on ebay for $120, came from australia
>>
OK so my 5wt fly rod and reel are in the mail, which is gonna be great for streams, rivers and alpine lakes, but I want something for bigger fish like chinook and steelhead as well as something suitable for coastal / saltwater fishing (from the shore).

Is an 8wt sufficient? Do I want single handed or double, sprey or switch?
>>
>>2259411
8wr is commonly reccomended for saltwater, yes
>>
>>2259429
How do i pick between single, double, sprey or switch?

Just want a minimal set of poles that cover everything I'd like to do, which is mostly fishing while backpacking, fishing on the coast from the shore and then specifically going for higher value stuff like salmon and steelhead.
>>
>>2259429
Is it better be undergunned with an 8 or overgunned with a 9? I'd priortize salmon and saltwater over steelhead, so I'm starting to lean toward a 9wt to compliment the 5wt.
>>
File: 20211105_232420.jpg (2.28 MB, 4032x1816)
2.28 MB
2.28 MB JPG
>>2258317
Yes. Should check out fishingfloridawater.com
>>
>>2259411
I would get an 8wt. It'll have the power to handle any scenario you are able to put it in most likely. Maybe even consider getting a glass one. I have a 8wt BAG glass rod and it is a blast for both redfish and largemouth.
>>
NEW!!!!!

>>2259484
>>2259484
>>2259484

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.