[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: dogs-smoking-pipes-27.jpg (101 KB, 640x884)
101 KB
101 KB JPG
Dapper Dog Edition

Feel free to post tobaccos (no weed allowed), pipes, collections, pics of favorite combos for going /out/, pics of what you're doing with your pipe and any questions you might have.

Want to get into smoking pipes without spending too much cash?
Get a Missouri Meerschaum Legend corncob pipe and a pouch of either Captain Black or Half and Half tobacco, available at most drugstores.
What you'll need: pipe, tobacco, lighter or matches, pipe cleaners, and either a regular old nail or a pipe tool (combination tamper, scoop, and small pick).
All of these together should run you less than $25.

Having trouble keeping your pipe lit? Fill it with less tobacco and smoke it slower than you think you need to, lightly tamping as needed when the smoke starts thinning out.
If you're still having trouble, try filling your pipe this way:
https://youtu.be/0XHYPso7TXs [Open]

Old thread >>2233018
Come on in and get comfy.
>>
What's everybody smoking? I've been getting into some C&D blends lately. I've tried Autumn Evening and Bayou Morning, both have been good. Next I think I'll see what they have in English blends, probably Engine 99 unless an anon can recommend something better.
>>
>>2245823
I recommend vaping so you don't get cancer
>>
>>2245832
Too late! You’re here already.
>>
>>2245823
I haven't tried that one, but between Epiphany, Stratfordshire and Star of the East I can vouch for Star. I've been buying C&D bulk tobaccos by the pound to jar and age, and I have been saving the Virginias because they supposedly age the best. But I opened a jar of Poplar Camp (VaPer) that was only a year or two old and it was very good.
>>
File: 20211108_210357.jpg (1.13 MB, 3264x1504)
1.13 MB
1.13 MB JPG
>>2245823
>What's everybody smoking?
Basic bitch turkish tobacco. Its not the best flavor or anything, but holy fuck is it the most easy smoke ive ever had. I smoked a full bowle ALL THE WAY THOUGH for the first time ever with this shit. Lights right up and its smooth. Has some issues keeping it lit at the very last bit, but thats still way better than I normally do. Normally I end up tossing a little less than half a bowle. weather it be cause im just done smoking, or ive fucked up the lighting and the flavors gone off cause ive scorched it. The light english I have is decent for that too although though its not as easy a light. I do like my aromatics, but they are a fucking pain in the ass to light good/keep lit.
>>
>>2245832
taking dicks up your ass causes butt cancer but that doesn't stop you, anon
>>
>>2245823
Rotating Quiet Nights, Blackhouse, WhiteKnight and Plum Pudding at night recently. If I smoke earlier in the day it has been Chelsea Morning or PS Luxury Navy Flake. I also tried RO Fire Storm recently which is delicious. I'll definitely be getting a few more tins.
>>
>christening a new pipe with Half&Half
Never again. At least it was only a Mizzou, but it was gonna be my cozy little trailpipe.
>>
File: pb-ceq.jpg (34 KB, 500x500)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
Anybody tried C&D Easy Times? Seems like an interesting blend. People on tobacco reviews were complaining about the nic hit, but I think they might be pussies.
>>
>>2246339
Looks tasty, but they’re literally playing checkers in a Cracker Barrel like an actual pair of boomers on that label and I’d laugh too hard if someone had that can on their shelf. Aside from that Cornell & Diehl makes decent stuff, I’d try it.
>>
>>2245815
Been smoking some C&D crooner lately. Been really impressed with it. The deertongue adds a really nice old time pipe smell to the room note, and I feel like it gives the smoke more “bite” on the retrohale.
Anyone try their “Gentleman Caller” blend? I hear it’s similar, wondering how it compares.
>>
>>2245823
Nicotina Rustica. I didn't like it at first but it's grown on me.
>>
Why do you not inhale when pipesmoking? what's the reason of smoking then? do don't get any of the nicotine.
>>
>>2246669
Taste? Can't speak for everyone, but I definitely don't smoke for the nicotine
>>
>>2246669
You get plenty of nicotine through your mucous membranes in your nose and mouth. It’s different than smoking cig or dipping. It’s actually more nicotine, but delivered in a slower manner.
I haven’t noticed any physical dependency and I smoke almost every day. Can stop for weeks without feeling so much as a headache.
You can definitely feel it when you smoke a really strong blend. It’s more like a relaxed sleepy feeling than a “high” or whatever, might get some rumbles in your stomach.

I smoke more for the taste, the smell, and the ritual than anything. Inhalation ruins the flavor and makes your tobacco burn hot.
>>
>>2246669
With pipes you get way more nicotine than with a cigarette. I get fucking stoned if my tolerance is down. Ditto for cigars. When I first started smoked cigs I felt a slight relaxing feeling for like five minutes during but with pipes it's much more intense and it lasts the whole bowl. And at least for me I can smoke once in a while and enjoy it instead of joylessly and compulsively like I did with cigs.
>>
File: Tripfag4.png (388 KB, 1113x673)
388 KB
388 KB PNG
>>2246670
>>
File: 20211027_103848.jpg (1.84 MB, 4032x1816)
1.84 MB
1.84 MB JPG
>>2246822
View my trip posting the same as handicap parking, I can't keep track of my posts otherwise, I go /out/ and here is my tobacco seeds harvested so far, more to come
>>
>>2246857
It's called the Thread Watcher
>>
>>2246857
Which varieties do you grow?
>>
File: 20211025_101936.jpg (1.36 MB, 4032x1816)
1.36 MB
1.36 MB JPG
>>2246872
Virginia gold, tried growing one indoors this year, it became incredibly wonky, havnt tapped the suckers because I just wanted to see what happens, it's set a lot of flowers and pods though
>>
File: 1636647061920.jpg (64 KB, 600x448)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>>2245823
Just ordered all the available Lovecraft themed tins from Cornell&Diehl, I unfortunately missed out on the small batch, "From Beyond" for this year, I suppose I wait for the next small batch of it in like 3 years to complete the collection.
>>
>>2245823
C&D Pirate Kake has been my go to english for a while now. Can highly recommend it.
>>
>>2245832
Yeah sucking up melted plastic and chink chemicals into your lungs is definitely better than tasting the smoke of a plant we’ve been smoking for hundreds of years! Vapers do not go outside.
>>
>>2247074
What pipe is that? Highly aesthetic.
>>
>>2247103
>hundreds
thousands
>>
File: 20211111_130447.jpg (587 KB, 1769x1098)
587 KB
587 KB JPG
>>2245823
Country Squire Green Dragon at the moment. It's a very tasty Virginia blend that I've found to be very easy to smoke. Nice and sweet if that's what you like.
>>
>>2245815
A buddy and me really want to get into pipe smoking, but we don't want to come off like hipster faggots.

What are good length pipes, and shapes... I know this is a stupid question, but I'm learning here folks! I want to pipe up soon, especially with winter coming.

Any good sites for canada? Victorypipes?
>>
File: 3-hobbit_saruman.0.0.jpg (113 KB, 1600x900)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
>>2247202
Tens of thousands!
>>
>>2247231
Read the OP you stupid faggot leaf. Get a MM cob from anywhere, and order your tobacco from 4noggins or Smokingpipes (keep it under $100 so the customs man doesn't catch it) because they're sneaky about shipping to this shithole. Alternatively, buy an ounce of tobacco at the local tobacconist's (if you have one nearby), it's more expensive than ordering from the burgers but it's more convenient if it turns out you don't like it. Once you get gud with your cob, you'll already know what kind of briar you want so you won't need to ask.

And don't forget your moment of silence for all the brave soldiers who fought for our country to become the hell on earth it is today.
>>
>>2247238
Fucking lovely. Thank you fellow leaf.
I figured I could just skip the cob... but maybe you're right.

Also today is basically like looking at a tombstone of a loved one, knowing the house they built and cared for, for years, is now a gay bath house.
It is so sad they fought off toltoltarianism, and we are now living it. I'm sure if they could of seen our country today, they would have switched sides.
>>
>>2247231
Get a straight billiard or a bulldog. Smoke actual pipe tobacco and not nasty RYO shit. Presto, you aren’t a hipster.
>>
>>2247246
Thanks anon. Billard seems pretty safe as a first pipe. I was looking at the similar poker style.
Bulldog is neat though, I must say.

Brigham pipes anygood as a starter?
>>
>>2247231
You want a nice normal straight billiard like a Peterson 106 or Savinelli 111 or 106. Bent shapes are bearded hipster tier and cobs, although utilitarian, will make you look like a tryhard faggot. Think of them as the morakniv of pipes.

If I could have only one pipe it would be the Peterson 106 army mount with p-lip.
>>
>>2247261
Tha is anon! I'll check them out. Brigham is canadian, and has similar looking models that are say cheaper (I love in the USSR-Canada Edition)... thoughts?
>>
>>2247259
Brighams are fine, my friend has one and he's happy with it.
>>
>>2247264
*live.

Fuck!!
>>
>>2247267
Golden. Thanks anon, I do appreciate it.
>>
Do you get a head rush from pipe smoking? I've never smoked but I used to vape and I miss the head rush feeling.
>>
i havent smoked a pipe in good 2 years now but i did for 5
today i got my hands on a newspaper that said the only store that sells any kind of pipe tobacco in a 100km radius from here is closing its doors
i used to go and wait early in the morning with some old men for the store to open and we would buy all the stock that just came in
best of luck to those old folks
>>
>>2247303
I mostly feel the nic in my stomach with maybe a little head rush when I'm puffin' on something strong
>>
>>2247261
>cobs, although utilitarian, will make you look like a tryhard faggot.
That depends. I smoke cobs a bunch but I'm southern, so it works.
>>
>>2247264
Rossi and Ropp are also good value brands.
>>
>>2247330
I smoke them too but not in public and I don't show them off on social media to virtue signal about how down to earth I am ffs
>>
>>2247337
>I smoke them too but not in public
I smoke them in public because I don't give a fuck
>I don't show them off on social media to virtue signal about how down to earth I am ffs
Yeah fuck that. This shithole is the closest I get to using social media.The only people I know that use it are either facebook boomers or faggots.
>>
heres a question for you guys. Lately my basic bitch turkish tobacco has been smoking/lighting way better than any of my aromatics. Ive noticed its considerably more dry than my other stuff. Idk if its because of the cut or what but it got me thinking. How dry should aromatics be? I know they have a weirdness about them. I seem to have a problem scorching my aromatics/getting them lit. Should I just dry them out a bit?
>>
>>2247261
>cobs, although utilitarian, will make you look like a tryhard faggot
>the cheapest most entry level pipes in the hobby will make you look like a try hard faggot.
anon... I mean a big ass mcaruther maybe but still.
>>
>>2247383
I usually let mine air out a bit if they are too wet. Go ahead and try it. Every blend will be a little bit different, I usually order in large quantities (8oz+) so I can experiment and find an optimal smoking method for each one.
>>
>>2246883
roughly speaking, for an occassional smoker, would 2-3 plants produce enough tobacco for an entire year? i don't really have the garden space needed to grow it properly, so i was thinking of trying to do it in pots or indoors, and having 2-3 different varieties to give more depth to the flavour
>>
>>2247383
Aromatics and low end drugstore tobaccos are usually coated in "humectants" to prevent them from drying to dust. They will never smoke as well as a pure tobacco, so you will have to experiment with letting it dry out to an acceptable level. I suppose if you wanted to turn this into a science project you could jar them in with a hygrometer to quantify your results but that would be autistic af.
>>
>>2247400
>you could jar them in with a hygrometer to quantify your results but that would be autistic af.
Kek, I sperged out and did exactly this. A 10-pack of thermometer/hygrometers is cheap off Amazon. I found every aromatic blend I smoked had its own sweet spot too, so it's going to be a matter of trial and error for each tobacco.
>>
>>2247259
I have a Brigham Mountaineer as my primary every day pipe. See >>2247230

It’s a nice little budget pipe. It smokes well and feels nice in the hand. There’s a small gap where the stem attaches that seems to be a somewhat common thing with Brighams but it doesn’t affect function. They use a proprietary rock maple filter that seems to work well, but you don’t need you use it if you don’t like filters. Mine’s a bent Dublin, but they have a bunch of different styles if you want a different bowl shape or a straight stem.
>>
File: tobacco_b.jpg (1.02 MB, 2800x2100)
1.02 MB
1.02 MB JPG
>>2245823
I tried may tobaccos, but I always come back to Schürch mixtures. Onyx and Zaffiro are some of my favs regarding his classic English line. Got lucky on the internetz the other week and scored two tobacco jars from the 70's, had to replace the seals, but the clampdowns are pretty genius. Now I can stash bulk.
>>
>>2245832
I prefer the smell of tabbaccy to vape smoke.
much more aromatic and pleasant to my nose.
also i don't like to inhale insane amounts of nic.
>>
>>2247586
Don't forget all those shit China pods floating around that put all those kids in the hospital.
>>
>>2247526
What are those two ceramic jars? They look interesting.
>>
>>2247639
They are called Denby Pottery, if you google for Denby tobacco jar you'll find them. They have this neat brass screw clamps to hold the lid down and a rubber seal for the lid, so everything is air tight. And I think I was wrong, they are not 1970's but more 1920's.
>>
>>2247649
Damn. Gorgeous jars, but too expensive for my tobacco jars budget right now.
>>
How much should I expect to pay for a decent pipe and pack of tobacco?
>>
>>2247742
Decent pipe as in one which smokes well or what? Corn cob pipes smoke well and are like $5. You can find new briar pipes for under $50 easily, and pre-owned pipes for less.

A pack of tobacco is not specific enough.

You could go to a corner tobacco shop and walk out with a MM cobby pipe and a pouch of drug store tobacco for about $12.
>>
>>2247742
Idunno, like 300.DKK maybe?
>>
>>2247743
Decent meaning not shit. If a $5 pipe smokes well I'll just go with that.
>You could go to a corner tobacco shop and walk out with a MM cobby pipe and a pouch of drug store tobacco for about $12.
Is drug store tobacco good?
>>
>>2247745
>Is drug store tobacco good?
That's a matter of opinion.

See
>>2247400
as an easy example. However, Half and Half, and Prince Albert, are decent enough non-aromatic blends for the price, and it seems a lot of pipe smokers have a Captain Black guilty pleasure. Lane 1Q is the basic starter tobacco you'd get in a lot of actual cigar stores for roughly the same price.

Opinions vary, is what I'm saying.
>>
Dont think they sell it anymore but when started I got a bent falcon, a pack of red Orlik a Czech tool and a lighter in like a set
Back when it was normal for a youngster to buy tobacco and booze
>>
File: 20190910_191546.jpg (3.26 MB, 4032x2268)
3.26 MB
3.26 MB JPG
>>2247391
Hard to estimate honestly as I havnt really tried curing any of my baccy yet, I just grew it as an ornamental and smoke the dried leaves straight, tastes like campfire to be honest, here's a pic of one I grew outdoors, you can see the difference, but my indoor one is flowering and suckering waaay more then the outside grown one ever did
>>
>buy mild cigar
>smells like a pigpen
what am i doing wrong
>>
>>2247814
Unironically the smell of peterson irish flake reminded me of a horse stable, loved it, prettsure they've changed the recipe now
>>
>>2247814
If it's literally a stink and not "pigpen" as in hay, the cigar may be going through a "sick" cycle in its aging process. During this part of aging, more noxious gases are released, such as ammonia, which need time to escape the rolled leaves. It would definitely affect the flavor of a cigar.
>>
>>2247822
>>2247817
no youre right, its not a sour smell but it does smell like a barnyard. okay, ill give it a smoke and see how it goes
>>
>>2247822
If cigars are still putting off ammonia, the leaves hasn't been aged/kilned sufficiently before rolling, which indicates the supplier is cutting corners or fucked up somewhere. By rights, the leaf should be fully fermented (or to such a degree that your humidor doesn't smell like a janitor's closet) by the time it's supplied to the rolling factory.
>>
>>2247837
Don't smoke it while it's sick. It'll taste terrible.
>>
>>2247839
You're right, but cigars still cycle through the aging process while time goes on.

Either they're as you described: Corners where cut in production just to have a product to sell a little faster, or that cigar has been on the shelf for a long while.
>>
>>2247517
Awesome!
I'm leaning towards the brigham since it will be my first. What is the difference between 1 dot and 2, 3 etc?
>>
Thoughts on clay tavern style pipes? I’m just looking for a cheap one for home relaxation since my cobs are for outside. How do they smoke?
>>
>>2245815
>>2245823
Thinking about picking up some C&D Blockade Runner. Anyone have opinions on it? I'm looking for the strongest rum flavor possible while still being a good smoke
>>
>>2247872
I'd love to try one, hear they get scorching hot though
>>
>>2247872
Probably fantastic, if you can remember not to clench.
>>
File: 20211112_151255.jpg (1.38 MB, 4032x1816)
1.38 MB
1.38 MB JPG
I think she is dying bros, wilting fast, been a good year, your flowers were pretty, the bees and butterflies loved you and your seeds have spread to many friends, family and relatives

guess that's all a plant can ask for
>>
>>2247909
If tobacco is pollinated, it usually dies after it gives its seeds.
>W0WW0
>>
File: Horror.png (478 KB, 680x452)
478 KB
478 KB PNG
>>2247899
>>
>>2247795
looks like it's doing really well potted, at least. is that a 3 gal or 5 gal pot? i live in the pnw so i could just start seedlings indoors, then put it in pots on my balcony. the handful of guides i read all said to grow them in the ground.
one page mentioned 2oz-5oz of cured tobacco per plant, so if i were to do 2-3 plants i'd have more than enough to meet my sneeds. seems like a worthwhile experiment either way.
any tips for growing it though? what was your process for that one you grew outdoors?
>>
>>2247938
See thats the thing, when I grew outdoors it did that, but now with the indoor grown one it keeps setting flowers and suckers
>>2247946
Just think how handy that would be honestly
>>2247985
>more than enough to meet my sneeds
Sneed
I just took the basic planters, like the jute/cardboard ones, wet the soil, sprinkle some seeds ontop, select the most promising plant and transfer it
I got 4 pods from a cousin, 1 pod has between 500 and 1000 seeds, one plant yields upwards of 100 pods or more, easy to see who it's a recommended cash crop
>>
>>2247651
I paid $10 per jar in an online auction.
>>
>>2247998
I'm not that patient lol Most of what I found was listed for $65+

I'll just stick with canning jars unless I happen across one.
>>
>>2247985
So far I've done 2 years of grows in pots in leafland, so adjust my advice to suit your climate.
-start them in trays indoors early, especially if you live in a cold area. I find February-March is good for my region, any later and they won't be mature by the time winter hits. Pick the biggest bunch of sprouts and replant them in bigger pots, and then pick the best of those for your final big pots.
-like tomatoes started indoors, let them gradually acclimatize to real outdoor sun or else they'll wilt and lose some leaves while they adjust, and that cuts into your yield
-fertilize often. Tobacco strips soil like a motherfucker, even if you're using potting soil with those fertilizer beads already in it. The first year, some of my older sprouts ended up being bleached from a lack of nutrients, it was really annoying. Only 3 out of the 6 pots actually grew to full size by the end of the year, the rest were unusable.
-they pump out suckers nonstop, so keep on that shit so they don't waste energy on useless extra leaves
-let one of each variety go to seed, so you have free seeds for the following year
-if you live in a dry climate, let them color cure on the stalk or else you have to fuck around with keeping them humid while they yellow

And I found this forum was a very useful source of info, they cover anything you could think of.
https://fairtradetobacco.com/forums/how-to-grow-tobacco.17/
>>
File: 1632269273411.jpg (57 KB, 702x702)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>2247899
>>
>>2247852
It's a visual indicator of the pipe's supposed level of quality in the company's line. In practice, with the more inexpensive models that you're looking at the only real difference between the Voyageur, Algonquin, and Mountaineer is the kind of finish you get.
>>
Does smoke form a pipe stink stuff up as badly as cigarettes?
>>
File: newjar.jpg (205 KB, 805x979)
205 KB
205 KB JPG
>>2248006
just bought another one for £15
>>
>>2248487
depends on the tobacco and the non smoker perceiving it.
>>
>>2248487
If you chain smoked nothing but straight burley 7 days a week, yes. Otherwise no.
But your clothes will still smell like smoke.
>>
>>2248487
When I quit cigarettes and first started smoking a pipe I went nuts and just smoked non-stop in my house for a couple months. I was mostly smoking English blends and VaPers and yes, it stunk my house up. I don't smoke nearly as much now and only smoke aromatics in the house, and I've asked people if my house stinks like cigarettes and they say no. I do have a lined flannel designated smoking jacket that I use outdoors because pipe smoke will leave an odor on your clothing.
>>
>>2248491
Every day it gets harder and harder to resist taking up pottery making as a hobby.
>>
Just smoking some Schürch 128 in my Stanwell 3-92 and it's so fucking good! I fear the day Hans will stop making his mixtures because fuck, nothing compares. Nothing even comes close to that creamy well balanced goodliness. I seriously considering stocking up so much of his tobacco that it'll last me a lifetime

>>2248538
I watching Andy Ward's pottery on youtube and I feel the same.
>>
>>2248487
It doesn't "stick" like cigarette smoke does. Like others have said, if you smoke constantly in your home it will smell like smoke. But generally speaking most pipe tobacco doesn't smell bad but of course that is subjective. I love English blends and latakia but some people do not like the smell at all. Luckily for me my wife does not mind it. I smoke a bowl or two a day in my home during the winter and people cannot smell smoke unless I had recently finished a bowl before they came over. I have had company after I smoked and they asked what kind of incense I burnt because they loved the smell lol.
>>
>>2247124
Nørding hunting pipe 2021
>>
File: brubu.png (2.27 MB, 2302x1651)
2.27 MB
2.27 MB PNG
Just went out or a walk enjoying the cold November rain. Smoked my trusty vintage Brubu 77 and came to think, is there a more comfortable clencher/dangler style pipe out there? The Brubu has a horn bite and is very light and has a great bend so it really sits just in your mouth all day. I know that lighter pipes are better at this, but I never came across a Meerschaum or a cob that had a decent material bit and a decent bend. So what is your favourite hands free pipe?
>>
No name 6$ USSR smoking piece. It had like an inch of cake inside of it. Took me all morning to clean it and the stem out. God awful smell. Still some what there but smokes good. Can someone tell the age on these vintage pipes?
>>
>>2247872
Just picked one up not too long ago. I’ve had two smokes in it and man is it nice. Very dry smoke and the clay allows for flavors to come out that I never previously noticed. Best for English blends in my opinion.

>>2247894
The bowl gets hot, yeah, but if you hold it by the stem there’s no problems.
>>
>>2246339

All C&D blends are overwhelming to me.

Anyone here use snuff? I got some Toque and William of Sharrow in the mail, great stuff. Looking for Gawaith's Rose though, and not sure where to find it.
>>
File: corn_cob_pipe_.jpg (11 KB, 450x450)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
Corn cob crew checking in.
Also, I'm going to stop clenching.
>>
>>2249471
Nasal snuff is appealing from a health and aroma perspective, but it’s essentially freebase tobacco. I worry about it’s addictiveness. I enjoy not being a slave to nicotine, but enjoying its benefits. I would worry that it would turn into an expensive dependency. Have to let us know how that goes.
>>
>>2249498
I found snuff to be not very addictive. Cigarettes were addictive, but snuff could not get me off them despite giving me a way stronger and more enjoyable buzz. Vaping got me off cigs, because the ritual aspect was there, and then snuff got me off the vape. But ultimately snuff, pipes and cigars just don't cause the intense craving associated with drawing smoke into my lungs.
>>
>>2249475
Cobs are great. I love my Short Stop, it’s the perfect size for driving.
>>
Are there any recommendation worthy books about pipe smoking?
There are so many blends, tobaccos, ways of packing and smoking your bowl, types of pipes (shapes, sizes, materials and features) with their pros and cons each.
Having all this info gathered in one book would be really handy.
>>
File: 51GMgNoVIiL.jpg (36 KB, 305x500)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
>>2250553
This one is pretty thorough.
>>
>>2250821
Oh you!
>>
>>2250821
I almost bought this you cunt.
>>
I'm unfamiliar with smoking pipes, but I'd like to get into it. The OP suggests a corncob pipe, but I've always wanted something like what Gandalf smokes out of. That said, I'm well aware that oftentimes what seems appealing in fiction isn't really that good in real life. Is there any reason to avoid getting a pipe like he has, like is it more difficult to smoke out of or something? I've done some digging but honestly I can't find much in detail on different kinds of pipes.
>>
File: cobbit.jpg (534 KB, 800x800)
534 KB
534 KB JPG
>>2251076
those long wizzard pipes style are called churchwardens, many makers have a model from different materials. The reason cobs are recommended is because they have a uniquely good price value point, cob is a good material, the pipes have a good draw, nice clean burn and they cost like $25 each. Briar churchwardens will cost considerably more.
>>
>>2251076
Get a cob because they're cheap and good to learn on (there is a learning curve with pipe smoking). If it turns out you don't like it, you're only out a few bucks.

I like churchwardens, but they are not pipes you really take out of the house. They're meant for sitting and smoking in one spot, and unless you make a hard case for them they like to break right at the tenon in transport. Since they're long, you can forget about clenching if you need two hands for some task. My advice is to start with the cob, and get a briar churchwarden as your second pipe. Savinelli makes some decent ones for a good price.
>>
>>2251076
One factor that you don't really consider until you actually start smoking is that it's super convenient to just leave the pipe clenched between your teeth, and this requires a smaller/lighter pipe. Obviously this will vary by person but I found it annoying to constantly raise the pipe to my mouth and for a churchwarden you really want to be settled in when you smoke it. Maybe I'm just too fidgety, but I cant handle a churchwarden when I'm constantly getting up and doing things.
>>
>>2251086
>>2251087
>>2251115
I see, I had no idea there was a learning curve to it, thanks a bunch. I'll start with a corncob then, and if I like it I'll get a Churchwarden (I plan to mostly smoke while sitting by a fire, anyway). How does one even learn, anyways? Are there any good online resources you guys would recommend?

Thanks for the help.
>>
>>2251076
It's best to start with a cob, they're inexpensive and very forgiving of poor smoking technique which makes them perfect for beginners. While I'm giving out free advice, avoid aromatics when you're starting out, too. The maple-vanilla-butter-rum blend at your local shop might smell great, but it's going to be like a blowtorch on your tongue if you don't know what you're doing.
>>
>>2251147
Well, there is some things to learn about how to pack a pipe properly, ho to light, tamp and maintain your pipe, how to smoke it cool and nice without burning your tongue, how to clean a pipe, what tobacco cuts and blends there are, what pipes there are and how they got together best. Should be plenty of youtube tutorials on each subject.
>>
>>2251147
Check out Muttnchop Piper on youtube, he has tutorials for just about everything.
>>
>>2251164
>>2251165
thanks, I'll look into these.
>>
>>2251076
Do not buy a churchwarden for your first pipe.
More specifically, do not buy a joyoldelf/amazon chinkshit pipe of any kind.

A). Churchwardens are not great pipes for anything other than sitting in one spot, and the long stem makes you prone to drawing on them way too hard.
B). Any of these non-reputable brand name pipes are made out of (potentially toxic) unknown wood. Even if they say they are briar.

Get a cob or a basket pipe (a pipe from a brick and mortar store that is a brand name pipe that wasn't good enough to get a label) in some kind of standard billiard/bulldog shape and start with a decent non-aromatic tobacco.
>>
Has anyone here ever smoked wild (or Aztec) tobacco? I want to grow some tobacco but that's the only variety my local seed supplier sells.
>>
File: IMG_20211118_231236.jpg (434 KB, 1080x1468)
434 KB
434 KB JPG
Just recently got a new stem(?) for my old Nording my dad gave me. Old one broke and had a Bic pen tube in it for years. Also got some G. L. Pease Quiet Nights. It's been many years since I last smoked a pipe and had been smoking aromatics then. Like night and day, love this tobacco.
>>
>>2245843
>he thinks he relighting is bad
how is this meme still prevalent here
>>
>>2251251
I have. You simply must try to smoke a psychedelic quanity of it at least once before you die anon.

Its the ultimate tobacco experience
>>
File: Przechwytywanie.jpg (32 KB, 496x506)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
Are these any good for tobacco?
>>
>>2245843
>aromatics bad
Is moisture content in your tobacco correct, are you drying it out before smoking as you should? A lot of problems with keeping your pipe lit can be explained with that. Aromatics are naturally more moist straight out of can than other kinds of tobacco.

>>2251274
To be fair pipe that goes out constantly can be a bit annoying and knowing how to keep your pipe lit will let you join pipe smoking tournaments.

>>2250553
I found these two. Not very long, but better than nothing, check em out:
https://us.v-cdn.net/6029410/uploads/editor/te/iuuia7x0n8r2.pdf
https://socalpipester.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/pipemans-handbook.pdf
>>
>>2251284
>Its the ultimate tobacco experience
How so? Is it really strong? Is it any good for regular smoking?
>>
>>2251258
I like the look of some of Nording's pipes. I finally bought one of their unfinished freehand pipes last year.
>>
>>2251299
Potentially, they'd work to smoke tobacco, if they'd withstand the heat of smoking anything else. However, that just seems like a really small amount of tobacco for an enjoyable experience. I like a nice, long smoke while /out/.

Aesthetic is also important to me, but if you like a different design of pipes than I do, I definitely cannot say you're wrong.

But with those? Stick to opium and weed.
>>
>>2251311
>I found these two. Not very long, but better than nothing, check em out:
Thank you very much, DubsAnon. I'm not the person who asked, but these may well make for interesting reading.
>>
File: Stubby.jpg (723 KB, 2086x2086)
723 KB
723 KB JPG
>>2248878
>So what is your favourite hands free pipe?
I'll need an answer to that, please.
>>
File: chad pear virgin briar.jpg (195 KB, 1754x890)
195 KB
195 KB JPG
>>
>>2251492
based
>>
File: scan0068-x.jpg (496 KB, 1670x1076)
496 KB
496 KB JPG
>>2251442
Speaking of, what is even the point of these? They hold barely any tobacco, and if it is indeed ground into hairlike consistency it must burn up in a couple minutes. Fucking slants with their tiny pipes and tiny teacups and tiny everything.
>>
>>2251575
I just wasn't going there in this thread, but I'd assume those are made for small quantities of harder drugs than tobacco for a nicotine hit.
>>
>>2251578
No, kiseru were strictly for tobacco. It's a weird Jap practice that they ritualized like everything else they do. I think the Koreans had something similar but the bowls were bigger. Not sure if China had an equivalent as well.
>>
>>2251582
Yes, they were. But those glass pipes are not kiseru.
>>
>>2251583
Oh, you're talking about anon's pic. Yeah, those are obviously not for tobacco.
>>
>>2251629
I mean, sure. They might be considered a modern take on the concept, but my assumption was the same: Those aren't for tobacco lol
>>
been a while since i've smoked pipe, think mines lost, so i need a new pipe
hows the meerschaum freehand?
i have some tobacco sitting in about 8 different mason jars that were in a cupboard for like 4 years now, i'm sure they're gunna be fire, going to order some stuff i previously liked just incase
>>
>>2251652
Hells yeah! It sounds like you've got a great re-start.

I've got some jars of tobacco which have been sealed since 2009. It's amazing after so long, and I somewhat want to be able to go back in time to get a sample from the day it was delivered and one from now just to compare.
>>
>>2251653
yeah, my biggest problem is finding where to smoke, i'd rather not smoke inside with my cat
and i'm a city slicker, might just have to do it on walks

i have some weird stuff i didn't like at first in a jar, and when i take a whiff now smells amazing, like dunhill early morning
>>
>>2251655
Walks are a good idea, or if your place has a patio or balcony, that's another good option. Also, this is /out/ so ... go out!
>>
>>2251656
>go /out/
not a lot around few state parks that don't allow camping/smoking etc, suffering for it and planning to move soon
>>
>>2251299
No. Those are crack pipes. Stuff it with steel wool to soak the melting crack rock. No one is gonna believe you only smoke tobacco out of it. Cops are gonna search your anus.
>>
>>2251658
I get it. Rare trips, though, are better than none.

But what about semi-out? Local trails, parks, etc? I used to live in a major city and some web searches found a handful of parks with trails I never would have expected.
>>
>>2251660
yeah a miniscule amount of trails around, i'll have to check em out.

just got a reply tonight about a place for rent in south MN, ready to pack up and dip honestly.
>>
Any Aus posters ITT?
Do you import tobacco or do you just bite the bullet and buy it legally
>>
File: mdhtYbe.gif (195 KB, 1280x721)
195 KB
195 KB GIF
>>2251655
I prefer to smoke outside (though I do have a shed in the back yard that I built for use as a winter smoking spot), but I never did see the appeal of walking and smoking. I know it's popular, but I find it takes away from the smoke. When I'm /out/, I find a nice remote spot with good scenery and minimal wind, and have a nice long sit-down smoke. Sometimes with a book, sometimes just enjoying nature and thinking.
>>
>>2251715
Same. You wouldn't expect to appreciate a good whiskey while walking, same for tobacco. Unless you just chainsmoke all day like a degenerate addict in which case why stop. It's not like weed, the effects of nicotine are minor and I need to be sitting down and very relaxed and calm to even appreciate it.
>>
File: a57a90k7p4471.jpg (54 KB, 1000x750)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
>>2247236
>>
>>2251715
>>2251792
It's too cold to just sit outside and smoke a bowl, so I walk,
t. just came home from a stroll with my Stanwell 191.
>>
>>2251700
You try to go to the store, and then fifteen police officers tackle you because your mask just slipped below your nose.
>>
>>2251856
I know I've enjoyed some good cigars while taking a dog to the park years ago.

You do as you see fit, and smoke your pipe however you like it.
>>
>>2251700
Why wouldn't you import? If they don't catch it, you get to enjoy American tobacco prices. If they do and slap a tax on it, it's still cheaper than buying from a local tobacconist's because they already have to pay that tax anyway, plus the overhead of having a small shop. I'm a leaf and I always buy from the States. Never been hit on pipe tobacco, but I did get a cigar shipment from Holt's taxed once. Sucked, but still cheaper than buying Canadian.

Alternatively, you could grow your own. I know you guys face obscene fines and prison time for growing tobacco without a loicense, but it's an archaic law and very few people actually know what tobacco even looks like, or care about what's in your pots so long as it isn't the herbal Jew.
>>
Deleted my post, gonna try the Captain Black in the OP though thanks
>>
>>2252044
>Can somebody rec me a good beginner tobacco? Gonna take a corn cob on my 3 nighter this week
>>2252046

Not a bad introductory aromatic. But there's a whole world out there, so don't be shy about any of it. Read reviews if that helps.
>>
>>2251896
Kek
>>2252035
The laws are extremely anal though, pretty sure theres legal repercussions outside of just having to pay a tax. and if they find it sent by a postal service they just destroy it on the spot, has to be delivered by "air or sea cargo"
>>
File: golden virginia.jpg (73 KB, 789x590)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
>pipe tobacco in store costs ~40-50 PLN for 50g
>meanwhile seeds costs ~5 PLN for 1000 seeds (roughly 50% of them will give you plants)
>you can get 100g of a finished product from a single plant

Have you guys tried making your own tobacco? It looks like a huge money saver if you don't mind doing some gardening and experimenting with curing and fermenting.
>>
>>2252345
Is Golden Virginia good to smoke on it's own?
I'd love to try it next spring and having only one kind of tobacco in my garden would simplify things, I wouldn't have to worry about cross-pollinating
>>
>>2252349
Virginia is great on its own. For a long time, it was the only pipe tobacco game in town, and still did very well.
Depending on how it is cured, cased, and aged, “plain old Virginia” can give you lots of very satisfying flavors.
And proper aging can allow Virginia to develop even further. One of the old Dunhill brand’s most popular blends was “Three Year Matured”, composed entirely of aged Virginia. Virginia keeps on developing as it ages, reaching its full flavor potential 15-20 years in.
>>
Has anyone here grown tobacco in Michigan or other nearby states? What are some good varieties?
>>
i'm an aromatic fiend, any one have recs for some good english or non-aromatic for me; something bulk preferebly.
>>
>>2245815

What's a good autumn/early winter tobacco, particularly for someone just getting into smoking a pipe? I need something to go with the crisp, cool air.
>>
>>2252727
Peter Stokkebye Proper English, Peterson Nightcap, Peterson Early Morning Pipe. EMP is a little milder than the other two.
>>2252737
C&D Autumn Evening.
>>
>>2252364
Neat, thanks for letting me know
>>
>>2252745
>Peter Stokkebye Proper English, Peterson Nightcap, Peterson Early Morning Pipe. EMP is a little milder than the other two.
thanks for the recs, i'll take a swing; smoked dunhill EM about 4 or so years ago, don't remember how i liked it
>>
File: _MG_1101-1.jpg (115 KB, 900x600)
115 KB
115 KB JPG
I just got a new cheap pipe :D
I'm really curious how filtering my tobacco smoke with water will affect it - so far I've been always using traditional pipes with and without 9mm carbon filters, so it's going to be a novel experience for me. Bowl isn't as big as I'd like (clearly pipe was intended for weed smokers), but it's not a deal breaker for me - I rarely have time for big 1 hour sessions of pipe smoking. It's a silly thing, but I'm still excited
>>
>>2252837
...though I'll have to be careful while using it. Normally I often push air into my pipe, but with this setup it would result in pushing water into my bowl, completely ruining my smoke.
>>
File: 1121211544_HDR.jpg (1.9 MB, 2848x1602)
1.9 MB
1.9 MB JPG
gonna dump a couple pics from yesterday's adventure
>storage point 1, barn interior
>Connecticut broadleaf
>Tennessee 90 LC
>Ohio Dutch
>sacred cornplanter
>>
File: 1121211552.jpg (1.84 MB, 2848x1602)
1.84 MB
1.84 MB JPG
>>2252935
>storage point 2, open air wood shed
>Virginia gold
>Pennsylvania red
>Wisconsin 901
i think i rushed these a bit, but with temperatures getting colder i was afraid of the frost causing issues so here we are
>>
File: 1121211554.jpg (2.04 MB, 2848x1602)
2.04 MB
2.04 MB JPG
>>2252936
everybody laid out ready for processing (read: removing large stems)
>>
File: 1121211625.jpg (2.88 MB, 2848x1602)
2.88 MB
2.88 MB JPG
>>2252938
stripped stems down. i had to toss all of the cornplanter and Ohio Dutch due to bugs or light mold
>>
File: 1121211709.jpg (1.13 MB, 2848x1602)
1.13 MB
1.13 MB JPG
>>2252940
i see absolutely no credible way this could backfire, and will not be entertaining complaints on the basis of safety.
>>
File: 1121211837.jpg (1.43 MB, 2848x1602)
1.43 MB
1.43 MB JPG
>>2252941
checked in this morning, and it was still at 127°F. the cracks in the cooler lid where the wires snake through smelled like the most delicious tobacco tea sort of scent. i'm going to leave it for 2 weeks and see how it looks.
the brown packets are humidity control bags that allegedly hold humidity at 75%. not sure how else to accomplish this without breaking the bank. all of this together cost less than $50, and those home scale fermenters are like $300 minimum.
can't wait to crack it open and be staring at literally pounds upon pounds of pure mold.
>>
File: 1010211527.jpg (3.3 MB, 3264x1836)
3.3 MB
3.3 MB JPG
anyways, thanks for reading my blog. don't forget to like and subscribe.
>>
>>2252944
>anyways, thanks for reading my blog. don't forget to like and subscribe.
have an upvote!

Seriously though, thanks for sharing - that's really interesting, especially since I'm planning to follow your steps next year (though maybe on a smaller scale).

Are you going to press that tobacco next or is good to go after fermenting and drying out?
>>
File: 1002211224.jpg (2.98 MB, 2848x1602)
2.98 MB
2.98 MB JPG
>>2252959
if, when i open it up in 2 weeks, there isn't mold, i plan on:
>slicing each leaf down and fully de-stemming
>pack into tight bricks by strain
>stack / fill the cooler with fireplace bricks
>resume 75% + 125°F treatment for another couple weeks
and see what happens. really not sure what i'm doing here. there is a huge gap online in home scale tobacco operations guides, so i'm really kinda making it up as i go using larger operations as a model.

>maybe on a smaller scale
I'm very glad I went kinda big this year, and i left room to double my output next year. i figured i would probably trash everything in the first two years before i learned how to actually make a smokable product, and at this rate i'm very glad i went kind of big because it gave me more opportunity to make mistakes.
>picrel: only used half of my planned planting space
>>
>>2252977
i might spray a slightly sweet born sugar solution on the leaves as i go to press them. or maybe test that / other things on the various bricks before sealing it up again. experimenting now as much as i can will hopefully pay dividends next year.
>>
>>2252979
>born
brown
you know what i meant
>>
>>2252977
>if, when i open it up in 2 weeks, there isn't mold
Pretty sure you're supposed to air out and rotate your bundles every so often (some say every day, others go as far as once a month) when kilning, to get rid of the ammonia and whatever else gets offgassed. Since you're running at 127F, you shouldn't have any mold growth, but it's better to check every few days anyway just so you can stop anything before it gets out of hand. It's a cooler so it won't take long to bring back up to temp and humidity when you close the lid.
>>
>>2252977
>huge gap online in home scale tobacco operations guides
I presume you've been on this site, but for anyone who hasn't, it's a good resource for info on growing your own:
https://fairtradetobacco.com/forums/fermenting.35/
>>
>>2252987
i'm assuming these humidity control packets are better at keeping humidity UP rather than bringing it down. and since my leaves are still a little green, i was considering popping the cooler open to vent off any excess moisture. didn't even think about ammonia or other derivatives.
>>
>>2253003
Nah, they go both ways. You can also refill them when they get dry by immersing the pack in water or putting it in a zip lock bag with wet paper towels, instead of shelling out for more packs.
>>
Fuck the fermentation processes guys, just smoke that shit after it’s dried. Flavored mine with vodka and honey it was good.
>>
File: IMG_20211122_154046510~2.jpg (479 KB, 1907x1740)
479 KB
479 KB JPG
>>2251115
They're usually smaller and a little lighter than your standard billiard so the clench is about the same. The small bowl and cooler draw does favor different tobaccos and they do gurgle like a mother fucker if you go too fast but they aren't all that different if you have a quality one.
>>
>>2253033
>Flavored mine
how, exactly?
>>
Someone rec me a good sailor's blend if you would be so kind. I had one once and think I liked it but I don't know what the usual profile is.

>>2252727
You may like royal yacht, it has a light plum topping but the flavor is mostly a zesty Virginia blend. It makes a good transition between aromatics and a full English. I'd shop around and figure out the field before you go bulk. The smallest difference can bridge the gap betwixt vile and divine.
>>
>>2253093
Mix honey and vodka, spray it on the leaves while it’s drying up into that nice leathery leaf. Keeps its hydrated too. Comes out ok. If you’re trying to master the craft then yeah, do the fermentation. If you want a cheap smoke, that’s decent, then skip it. Just face the fact that your shit will never be as good as retail unless you make it a career.
>>
>>2252837
I smoked it a couple of times; if anyone else is thinking about buying pipe like this, here are my thoughts:
It's impossible to hold it just in my mouth. You can't control your amber as easily since you can't blow air into it. Metal bowl get's too hot too quickly so you can't warm your hands like with a normal pipe - in this cold weather I really missed that. Constant "blugblugblug!" turned out to be really annoying and distracting, but it could be a matter of getting used to it.
Because of small bowl smoke was really short - instead of usual 45-60 minutes I was completely finished in 18 (on average)
The only redeeming quality is interesting smoke: more mild than from any carbon filter, almost tasteless and cool to the point of being cold. Not very pleasant to be honest. I have yet to experiment with flavoring water that's inside - maybe that would make it better.

In the end smoking it was like fucking a sheep - short, disappointing, discomforting, tasteless and makes you wonder if your desire for something new pushed you too far.
>>
>>2253003
i opened the cooler last night and this morning. looks like water was accumulating near the lid cracks, but not down next to the leaves. so that's promising. will definitely continue to open it once or twice a day for a couple more days while the initial water weight bleeds out.
>>
File: DogPipes.jpg (264 KB, 1246x2048)
264 KB
264 KB JPG
>>
File: pipa.jpg (115 KB, 1754x645)
115 KB
115 KB JPG
How are pipes like oom paul made?
If you were drilling from stem in a straight line you'd end up either missing completely the bowl (pic 1) or on the side rather than bottom of your bowl (pic 2).
I assume that drilling into your bowl from side rather than bottom would affect the way your tobacco is burned - you'd have a hard time burning tobacco that's on the opposite side.
>>
File: 1637685174246.jpg (173 KB, 1754x644)
173 KB
173 KB JPG
>>2253521
I imagine it's probably like picrel, and then plug the hole in the back
>>
File: 1637685174246.jpg (316 KB, 1754x645)
316 KB
316 KB JPG
>>2253521
The stem is hollowed out, then a tilted drill is used.
>>
Does pipe smoking give you bad skin like cigarette smoking does?
>>
>>2253671
No. Pipesmoking has virtually no negative effects, but a slew of positive ones. Pipesmokers also live longer than nonsmokers.
>>
>>2253731
What about yellow teeth?
>>
>>2253746
I had yellow teeth before I started smoking :(
>>
>>2253746
Coffee and tea yellow your teeth more than pipesmoking.
>>
>>2253746
Ot can hit that's more of a pack a day smoker with bad hygiene thing. Not that pipes are clean but it doesn't go straight to your front teeth either.
>>
How come that almost every youtube pipe smoker is a fat fuck?
>>
File: 0904211736.jpg (2.46 MB, 3264x1836)
2.46 MB
2.46 MB JPG
>>2254002
because all of us attractive pipe smokers have real jobs, or not enough free time to make an extra hobby out of making videos for our hobbies. it's called having a life, and attractive people often lead fulfilling lives with loving families, plenty of friends, and simply other, better things to do. Yes I'm projecting.
Picrel. When I smoke the most, I'm usually nuts deep in a 20 hour board game binge session with the lads. Ain't nobody got time to make a 5 minute video out of it for $0.00004 in ad revenue.
>>
>>2254006
>fulfilling lives with loving families, plenty of friends,
Filthy normie, gtfo
>>
>>2254007
>p-pipe smoking is for incels only!!
lmao
k
>>
>>2254008
No, of course pipe smoking isn't only for incels. 4chan is.
>>
>>2253731
You are still at higher risk of throat and mouth cancers, and while you're probably smoking less there is still the higher risk of heart disease. It is still much less dangerous than cigarettes though.
>>
Stopped by the local B&M today, guy also threw in a sampler of a turkish blend after mentioning that I liked orientals. Has no virginia in it at all but surprisingly mild and full. Shout out LJ Peretti
>>
>>2254164
Higher, perhaps, but how much absolute risk increase is debatable and likely subjective to each individual's lifestyle and genetics. But the beneficial effects are tangible, and the correlation with longer life expectancy cannot be discounted.
>>
Any tips for keeping it lit? It might be my shitty pipe but it goes out after like 45 seconds. I'm pretty much using it like a one hitter because of this
>>
>>2254305
How's the draw? It could be packed too tightly or too loosely.

How wet is the tobacco? If it's too wet, this could also contribute to a short-lived ember.

What is your lighting technique?
>>
>>2254308
I've been using a lighter and the tobacco doesn't feel too wet. I basically try to do rapid puffs over the whole bowl to get it lit evenly. The draw seems fairly clear. I might be packing it too tightly, it's fairly small so I try to cram a lot in. I'll try loosening it a bit
>>
>>2254315
A lot of difficulty in telling someone what's going on is that my description of too tight or too loose, too wet or not, varies from the next person's and the next.

But keep trying, pack the pipe different ways, try different lighting techniques (the two-chars-and-light is almost religious to some, while it's utter bullshit to some who light once and their pipe stays lit to the end). Find what works for you.
>>
>>2254315
When I pack a pipe, I try to get it just packed enough that drawing through the stem unlit feels like sucking a good milkshake through a straw. This metric has worked for me pretty well regardless of the moisture of the tobacco. Wet tobacco will need to be packed lighter of course, but as long as it feels like a milkshake it smokes pretty good, generally.
>>
>>2254265
>correlation with longer life expectancy cannot be discounted.
Correlation isn't causation retard.
>>
File: d29.jpg (35 KB, 600x541)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>2254376
Wow, that's so profound! Did you come up with this esoteric idea by yourself? Truly, it must have been that all the pipesmokers in the study were simply top-tier athletes with great diets, while nonsmokers were just fat unhealthy slobs.
>>
>>2254315
You want the draw to almost be the same as drinking from a straw.
>>
>>2254400
Pipe smoking is a gentleman’s art, naturally people of this caliber will have higher iq, healthier diets, and a more active lifestyle contributing to higher life expectancies, it’s not necessarily the pipe smoking extending people’s lives.
>>
>>2254315
What type of tobacco are you using? Some require more drying than others (you might not know how wet a "wet" tobacco feels like yet), and if you're getting them in flakes or other cuts where the tobacco is packed densely together, it might need some rubbing and breaking up. If the tobacco is very finely cut, it needs to be packed tighter, but that advice can be counterproductive if the tobacco is rough and needs room to breathe.
>>
File: IMG_20211125_133749.jpg (1.26 MB, 4640x3472)
1.26 MB
1.26 MB JPG
Found my grandpa's pipe caddy with his pipes.
>>
>>2254606
I believe the pipes are upside-down. Insert the stem from beneath and rest the bowl on the lower shelf.

But regardless of how you choose to put the pipes in it, it's one hell of a piece! Congratulations.
>>
>>2254611
they are upside down. it needs some cleaning from the dust and webs but its pretty nice. i can add my nording >>2251258 and just ordered a MM cob.
>>
>>2254613
And eventually, enough pipes will catch your attention when you happen to have a few extra bucks available that you'll need more pipe racks.
>>
>>2254554
The study in question was done in the 60s. Pipesmoking back then wasn't the pseudointellectual wankery you just described. Seems rather unlikely that it was just selection bias.
>>
>>2254615
not likely. those pipes were my grandpas, the nording from my dad and now the cob from me. only one slot left and ill save that for my son
>>
Ok guys hear me out for a moment. Can you get flu like symptoms from smoking, mind you, I never inhale? Two weeks ago I got a really hard workout in, came home ate, had a little to drink and went to go smoke my pipe. Apx. 1-2 hours after smoking I got a really bad headache and developed a strangely high fever that persisted through the night with chills, sweating and minor coughing. The next day I was back to normal by about noon. Thought nothing of it at the time, maybe 24 hour flu or something, but last night did something similar. Gym, eat, martini (2-3 shots of vodka), then pipe smoke. Again same symptoms last night, feel about normal now and about to hit the gym again. I’m thinking I’m having some strange reaction to the smoking. Anyone else experience this? This article had me thinking this was the case, but I’m not inhaling. I’ve smoked before and have never experienced this, I have been smoking a lot more since I took up the pipe though.
Article for reference.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2526478/
>>
>>2254715
Never heard of such a thing. As you have already smoked before with no effects, it is unlikely to be the pipe. Isolate the variable; next time you smoke, do so without any martini or gym or unusual food. Also try to do it at a different time. If you don't get any symptoms, you'll know it's not the smoking (at least, by itself). Then reintroduce variables and note the results. The first step is to try to replicate the problem, and then you can figure out what's causing it.

I'd rule out nicotine poisoning; while nausea and headache are symptoms, fever and coughing are not. And if you're not inhaling, it's extremely unlikely to be lung irritation from the smoke. Have you done this same routine except without the smoking in the 2 week period between the first and second time it's happened?
>>
>>2254822
Yes I’ve done this same routine multiple times throughout the week, with and without smoking. I just talked to my father over the phone and told him about it. He asked about the blend maybe being the cause, and I’m leaning towards that. I’ve been smoking mainly a 7 Seas Red and a Cult no problems but I smoked a Virginia Gold: Black and Gold last night and I’m thinking that was the blend I smoked the last time I had this problem. It’s not very good so Ive only smoked it one or two times before and the last time I got sick I’m pretty sure I smoked that blend. Seeing how disturbing the symptoms are I don’t think I’ll try to provoke onset for at least a few days. I’ll report back with results. I’m thinking it’s just a crappy tobacco that’s causing some allergic reaction. Never know though, I’d hate to have to give up the pipe or find out I have some strange disease.
>>
>>2254859
In that case, try the same routine with a different blend and see what happens.
>>
>>2254243
tashkent? it's quality stuff
>>
For the first time I am backpacking with a hammock and I'm so happy I decided to do that. Not only it's lighter than my tent but also the gentle air flow under my tarp makes it a perfect setup for pipe smoking - something that was a struggle in my poorly ventilated tent. If you haven't already, then you should try it out Anon! Especially now, when it's 0 Deg Celsius and there are no other campers in sight. Tomorrow it's going to be raining and snowing a bit and I honestly can't wait, it's going to be really comfy.
>>
>>2254969
Bingo, I've been enjoying it quite a bit
>>
Smokingpipes black friday sale is pretty nice, I'm picking up a green spigot and the only tobacco on sale is the one I wanted to try.
>>
File: pipeweeds.png (11 KB, 446x341)
11 KB
11 KB PNG
>>2255186
r8 my cart. I knew I wanted more Kadath and wanted to try escudo, the rest was on a lark.
>>
>>2255198
Escudo is nice, but to my taste buds there's little appreciable difference between it and OGS, and the latter is cheaper so I just go with that for my Virginia fix. But your taste may be different.
>>
File: 002-194-0104.jpg (108 KB, 511x600)
108 KB
108 KB JPG
>>2255186
>$5100 down from $6000
What a steal!

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/todd-johnson/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=244739
>>
>>2255212
Sweet baby Jesus
>>
>>2254662
People who wear adult diapers have a higher average life expectancy than the rest of the population. Do you think shitting your pants makes you live longer? Or is it just something that old people do? Same thing with pipes. The eccentric millenial pipe smoker is a statistical anomaly, most pipe enthusiasts are old as fuck.
>>
>>2255212
...do people really?
>>
File: 002-029-69376.7232.jpg (76 KB, 1200x682)
76 KB
76 KB JPG
>>2255330
I pretty much did even though the alternative was pretty much the same price.
>>
>>2255309
Again, the study in question was performed in the 1960s. The youngest smokers studied would have been born in the 40s to early 50s. And when they're looking at mortality ratio, the relevant subjects would have been born as far back as the 1890s (because as you know, tobacco-induced mortality typically manifests in old age).

Point being, you're claiming a selection bias where none appears to exist. We know that pipesmoking in the early 1900s was not merely the domain of fusty old men, so it's not like only people who are healthy enough to survive to old age then take up pipesmoking in their retirement. Most start in their youth, and youth smoking was incredibly prevalent back then. The fact remains that those who do smoke (without inhaling) have a lower mortality rate than everyone else. What do you think accounts for this phenomenon?
>>
>>2255339
>he doesn't know that your personality affects your life span
Kek!
>>
>>2245815
I know you say no weed allowed, however I love smoking my hash pipe when /out/ there.
>>
>>2255693
He thinks only esteemed academics and upper-class gentlemen smoked pipes.
>>
>>2255772
Oh no, forgot my meme arrow.
>
>>
>>2254611
It depends on where people are from that determines how they like their pipes stored.
Europeans tend to store their pipes stem down, while Americans and Canadians tend to store theirs bowl down.
Each has specific reasons they give for why their way is superior, but in the end it all boils down to personal preference.
>>
>>2255212
I see you are unfamiliar with how much custom pipemakers charge for handmade pipes.
>$5100
>for a 1-of-1 pipe
>totally handmade
>in a non-standard shape
>that is flawlessly made and fitted
>by someone world famous for making pipes of the highest quality
>using exotic materials (mammoth bone)
>and sold through a broker that needs to make their own cut.
It’s pricy, but not out of line for the world that you’re entering.

Go look at the resale prices for some Bo Nordh pipes. When they’re available (and authenticated), they can fetch $15,000-20,000 easily.
>>
>>2255339
>you're claiming a selection bias where none appears to exist.
I'm claiming you're a retard for attributing magical healing powers to tobacco when there are far more plausible explanations for the data.
>What do you think accounts for this phenomenon?
Socioeconomic factors. You can probably find a difference in life expectancy based on the brand of toilet paper people buy.
>>
Just enjoying some Schürch 129 in a vintage Altinay bent billiard meerschaum. Love the creamy note from the java leaf.
>>
>>2255820
>hurr durr muh science and facts
>doesn't believe in the magical healing powers of tobacco
gonna need you to go back 2 reddit anon
>>
>>2255820
>Socioeconomic factors
Like what? Which variable was unique to pipesmokers in the early to mid 1900s that wasn't present in the nonsmoking population, to account for 2-3 years of extra lifespan? Why are you so desperate to avoid entertaining the idea that tobacco (or at least the casual non-inhaled consumption thereof) may have beneficial properties? Hell, the basic ritual of smoking to induce relaxation may be the cause, I'm not saying it must be the smoke itself.

>>2255782
You hit severe diminishing returns around the $150-200 mark with pipes. Anything more than that for a basic briar and you're paying for a status symbol, not a smoking implement. If someone's willing to pay, more power to them, but you're definitely not getting $15k more smoking out of a Bo Nordh than a Savinelli.
>>
>>2255820
>Socioeconomic factors
Of course, those nonspecific socioeconomic factors, why didn't I think of that...
>>
>>2255862
The lifespan discrepancy is easily explained if pipe smokers are older, wealthier, and more intelligent on average. In the early 1900s Joe the Plumber was smoking cigarettes and his doctor was smoking a pipe.
>>
File: Niggafart.jpg (185 KB, 644x1280)
185 KB
185 KB JPG
Just picked up my first pipe (the one in the op) and was wondering whether I need to do anything to the bowl before I start. There's some stain on the inside at the top, and some glue and pokey bits at the bottom. Do I need to sand anything, or can I just pack it in and start as is?
>>
>>2255985
you will want to use a gauze with that pipe, otherwise is good to go.
>>
>>2255926
Even if this were true across the board (unlikely), it would only account for a difference between cigarette and pipe smokers. We already know that pipe smokers have an advantage in this regard, without having to guess at correlations and vague knock-on effects. We are more interested in how pipe smokers live longer than nonsmokers, a group that also includes plumbers and doctors.
>>
>>2245832
i quit cigs by vaping. still vape but also enjoy a good pipe smoke occasionally.
>>
>>2256105
Like a brass screen?
>>
>>2255985
Just smoke away anon, corncobs can handle it.
>>
>>2255985

see
>>2256320

That's my advice. So many MM cobs come basically like that. It doesn't cause issue. What happens, basically, is that ash and a bit of tobacco may eventually fill some of the gaps around the stem. It protrudes a bit not only to put the draft at the bottom of the tobacco, but because the center of a corn cob is very soft. It needs some protection.

So, pack it and smoke it. No worries about how that one looks, at all!
>>
>>2256121
Probably some kind of personality correlate with patience and a relaxed lifestyle. Pipe smokers are less stressed. That's the usual account for variance in these kind of studies. There are a number of studies that suggest that straight edge types are miserable and do nothing about it, walking around with their buttholes clenched until they have a stroke at 40. My guess has always been that Type A's (the typing created to identify heart attack risk), neurotics, and the chronically miserable fudge the numbers among the abstinent.
>>
>>2255862
>You hit severe diminishing returns around the $150-200 mark with pipes
I'd say you hit it way before that unless you're looking at army mounts or some other kind of functional work. $200 just happens to be MSRP for most of them. The real value is found in knowing whether a basket pipe is going to crack on you.
>>
>>2256361
Definitely. I've spend more for some pipes than others, and it was entirely for the aesthetics of the particular pipe. Most of my new pipes cost $80 or less, not that I have many pipes, but they look nice enough and smoke amazingly well.

I also have a pair of no-brand pipes I bought used about 15 years ago. One has filler in a couple spots. They were $20 for the pair back in the days when my local store was pushing Dr. Grabow for $35, so I went for these. They smoke perfectly well.
>>
>>2255985
>and some glue
Is this really safe? To burn and inhale the fumes?
>>
>>2256394
You inhale when you smoke a pipe?
>>
>>2256407
na, you puff!
>>
>>2256370
Pretty much. I've paid more but it's because I'm a goddamn animal that breaks things and really wanted a spigot mount. And a churchwarden that wasn't shit. It's an incredibly affordable pastime if you ignore all the marketing and don't have special needs. It's not like anyone at the club is judging you.
>>
Just checked, I got over 20 pipes, about a dozen or so I use regularly. most of them were discounts or ebay, some are estates. I feel like I got just the right amount of pipes to cover all the opportunities for a pipe. like I got my 45 minute pipe, my hiking pipe, my playing cards pipe, my reading pipe and my after dinner pipe.
>>
File: piperack.jpg (347 KB, 800x599)
347 KB
347 KB JPG
Cleaned up the pipe rack and pipes. Of the three, the white one is a Venturi and next to it is a Stetson. Not really sure about the other, it has "Christmas" with a year I can't make out and "Imported Briar" imprinted. The other side is my Nording. Just put my only tin in the humidor part.
>>
>>2256432
It's a little tough to see. Does the Christmas pipe have a metal band or an impression that one may have been there? If not, and there's no trace of a stylized P on the side of the stem, then definitely not a Peterson. But they're the only name coming to mind for a Christmas pipe.
>>
>>2256439
no band, no impression just a date under Christmas. looks like 1994 but i dont know if its that new. ill ask my mom about it.
>>
>>2256456
That kind of looks like 1994 to me, but a quick search didn't turn up any other finish and stem combinations which might match. I do hope you find out what it is some day!
>>
>>2256417
This, I never got the whole luxury meme. There's an unusually robust and autistic collector's market and some hardcore consumerism around certain brands, but it's pretty affordable to build up from a cob into a nice pipe rotation and get a bulk clone of quality weed.
>>
>>2254006
Are you the TI4 autist from /bgg/?
>>
>>2254243
>Lj peretti
Best pipe/tobacco store I’ve ever seen. I try to go a few times a year, but Boston is a bit of a drive.
>>
File: 20211102_195450.jpg (1.61 MB, 3264x1504)
1.61 MB
1.61 MB JPG
>>2251311
That did the trick. I dryed it out over night and was able to smoke the whole fucking bowle. I feel like it lost a little bit of flavor though, but it lighted right up and was fine. I think i scored it a little to much relighting it about half way though though.

As a side note, anyeone know anything about repair? I got pic related as one of my first pipes. It honestly needed work when i got it but I was a noob and didnt realize it, then I hot boxed that bitch until the bottom of the stem fucked up and the shank cracked. I like the angle a bit better than my other curch warded. Its more horizontal.
>>
>>2256684
You can mix up a secret recipe of sawdust and wood glue or just superglue and sand if it's too fine to fill. That almost looks like it needs to be pinned or have a band worked over it
>>
>>2256320
>>2256334
So the big dob of glue is ok?
>>
>>2256407
I don't really care, I still wouldn't want to puff toxic chemicals.
>>
File: personality.jpg (227 KB, 647x527)
227 KB
227 KB JPG
>>2256353
It seems others have come to the same conclusion. >>2251311 Hardly definitive, but the cigar chomping, whisky swilling golfer at the country club does tend to be a Type A businessman who is highly competitive, while all pipefags do is make a game out of keeping it lit.
>>
>>2256876
I view pipe smoking as a sort of ritual meditation.
Reading or polishing something is really relaxing.
>>
File: pipes_2.jpg (1.3 MB, 2800x2100)
1.3 MB
1.3 MB JPG
Christmas came a little early this year, another vintage tobacco jar and a bulk delivery from the nice people over at Schürch.
>>
>>2256887
That's a personality factor. The question is whether we can prove causation without making a reverse inference. Given that personality is fluid to some degree, it may not be a self selection bias but instead the result of ritual meditation. There's enough research in the effects of mindfulness meditation on stress and how a relaxed mood affects perception of and response to problems to suggest that it may not be too far fetched.

The problem with that is the independent variable is self selection and the only consistent historical sample where pipe smoking was more or less enforced is sailors, who are...strange for many reasons.
>>
File: IMG_20211129_152959248~2.jpg (845 KB, 2921x1873)
845 KB
845 KB JPG
>dogshit stale Haunted Bookshop
>tasted like a good cigarette at best when fresh
>last quarter of the bowl is sublime
What is this bullshit wizardry?
>>
>>2256607
i wish
just a TI3 junky who has actually gotten to play 5 times this year. a wild record.
>>
>>2245815
I bought a pipe last summer. I've been enjoying it in my car lately but will move that onto the back deck this winter. I'll take some pics and share next time.
>>
>>2256713
>>2256771
*shrugs*

https://pipesmagazine.com/forums/threads/glue-melting-in-mm-cob.49436/
>>
>>2257337
nice dildo faggot
>>
>>2257337
Hunter?
>>
>>2257473
Uh delete this
T. FBI
>>
>>2252943
>cooler update
smells absolutely AMAZING
i will have to start 'watering' the humidity packs soon, as they are discharging. i take this to be a very good sign. i was afraid that without humidity measurement built into my thermostat, i would have no idea how well i'm controlling humidity. but if they're giving out water but not drying out immediately, then i must be sort of close to 75%.
temp is steady between 120 and 127F, which i've read is ideal.
any thoughts on how long to leave it in? i start it all up almost 10 days ago.
>>
>>2257488
People mostly seem to go between 2 weeks and 2 months. I'd try taking some out in a few days and sampling, then some more after a week and comparing the two. If you don't notice any particular improvement, stick with 2 weeks.
>>
I had a dream that I was smoking a pipe last night. I have never smoked a pipe before. What does this mean.
>>
File: Crowley pipe.jpg (35 KB, 443x500)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
I really like oversized pipes like the one in pic related. Does anyone know where I can get a pipe like this?
>>
>>2257683
it means
come home white man
>>
File: 1577673339916.jpg (101 KB, 1080x719)
101 KB
101 KB JPG
>>2257686
I'm sure there are plenty of makers, but Peterson is the only one I know of that are really known for them.
>>
Just tried some Schürch SOB, It's fucking great.
>>
File: rockwell.jpg (144 KB, 717x887)
144 KB
144 KB JPG
>>2257690
>>
File: 20211201_130439.jpg (2.13 MB, 4000x3000)
2.13 MB
2.13 MB JPG
18usd for 10g of tobacco and it comes in this packaging.
Good morning I hate Australia.
>>
>>2257813
I wish there was a way to lobby and fight it on an international level but we're getting fucked to the point you can't even grow the shit properly. I just looked and my tin of peterson only has a cali prop 65 warning on it. I'd take up reselling but I'm a lazy cunt.
>>
>>2257813
Are you allowed to grow your own?
>>
>>2257821
No, but I'm sure some people do.
>>
>>2257820
The people that feel the need to lecture you on how unhealthy it is are the same cunts who sit in front a TV for hours, as if that isn't gonna fuck you up long term too.
>>
>>2257827
lol Australia really is a shithole. There's practically no regulation on growing it here in Michigan.
>>
>>2257833
It was all lumped in with Big Tobacco legislation and settlements by politicians who weren't getting their cut of the profits. The oligarchy are pretty exclusively either ideologically possessed boyscouts or narcissistic hedonists. At least with regard to my state's cash crop since its inception and the loss of subsidies and increased regulation that killed livelihoods and sustainability from farm to main street shop. Globally.
>>
File: Pipe.png (755 KB, 621x623)
755 KB
755 KB PNG
Has anyone ever smoke pipes like these before? I think they look neat.
https://youtu.be/5d65fzLmJEs
>>
>>2257821
Lolno. They will destroy you if you don't have a loicense.
>Penalties for possessing more than two and less than five kilograms of illicit tobacco include:
>civil penalty – this is a Penalty Infringement Notice of at least $44,000.
>Penalties for possessing over five kilograms of illicit tobacco include:
>criminal penalty – this is a criminal conviction with a prison sentence of up to five years or at least a $222,000 fine or both.
>Penalties for selling illicit tobacco products include:
>criminal penalty – this is a criminal conviction with a prison sentence of up to five years or at least a $222,000 fine or both.
>Penalties for buying illicit tobacco products include:
Penalties for manufacturing or producing illicit tobacco include:
>criminal penalty – this is a criminal conviction with a prison sentence of up to 10 years or at least a $333,000 fine or both.
>>
>>2258086
i fail to see how that has any bearing on a normal person's existence aside from taxes. live in the country, mind your own business, don't fuck with people, and pull over when blue lights flash. it's literally that easy to live in the best nation in the history of mankind.
>>
I had some FUD but it smokes nice and the color is rich and utterly unphotographable. This VaPer needs some age to it but it's the only thing I had that wouldn't poison a new bowl.
>>
>>2258123
Why is it green? Is it supposed to be green?
>>
>>2258153
I like green and silver, brown got old.
>>
>>2258181
fair enough, I like that spigot billiard thingey, nice shape. how does it smoke?
>>
>>2258182
Very open with a little gurgle near the end, but I won't know how it truly performs until I break it in. The new coating on the inside isn't disgusting like they tend to be but it takes like 5 bowls to get a good cake going. It's very narrow and deeper than it looks, didn't run hot but I wasn't trying to have a burn out on the maiden voyage. I did have to pull the spigot and clear a clog right in the draft hole with a czech tool, which was extremely convenient.
>>
>>2258187
One thing I did notice as it's my only straight pipe that isn't a cob is that the smoke doesn't go up your nose. The clench is decent and it's as light as anything else, I was worried all the silverwork was going to turn it into a boat anchor.
>>
>>2258123
Nice looking pipe
>>
>>2257896
I smoked some clay pipes, not exactly those clay pipes.
>>
File: 145.jpg (6 KB, 400x162)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
>>2257729
Still working out pipe works best for the Sobrani. I'm currently trying it with a estate Stanwell 145, really nice afternoon combo, works well with a cup o coffee.
>>
>>2247899
Separates the men from the boys!
>>
WHEN THE ABSOLUTE FUCK WILL 1792 BE AVAILABLE AGAIN GODDAMMIT!!???!!!!!???????!!!!
>>
>>2258546
Bump
>>
>>2258555
It's available here. Both bulk and tin.
>>
>>2258333
Maybe it's just the ridiculous nicotine buzz talking, but I like how playful and irreverent it is as a polished design. It has that silliness a Nording has, but with victorian plumbing instead of freehand rustication. A similar respect for the design without posturing. I like pipes that are a little silly.
>>
If you dry out the foulest navy blend you enjoy, load it into a churchwarden, and let it go nuclear to the point the steam doesn't even condense and gurgle, it's in the running for best smoke ever. Conventional wisdom is ever wrong.
>>
>>2257959
And it's all because they don't want to miss that one person's tobacco tax payments from buying commercial stuff.
>>
>>2251575
looks cool
lets u hold cigarette in ur mouth without the 2nd hand smoke drifting into ur eyes and nose
cooler smoke and doesnt get hot
>>
>>2257686
That must take forever to finish a bowl lol
>>
>>2259264
You'd think so but really you just end up with more smoke and flavor. They run a little hotter but not like when you make a small pipe nuke itself.
>>
NEW THREAD UP
>>2259468

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.