[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: home.png (590 KB, 599x384)
590 KB
590 KB PNG
Im doing it bros. Im going off grid.
Any advice?
Heres some details, parents have inherited to me 100 acres of woodland in Eastern Canada. building a 24x24 camp innawoods. Plan to have propane stove, and a combination of wind/solar to power lights and a small television and N64.
Barn on the property with 3 stalls , I plan to rear hens and turkey, goats and swine.
I would consider this lite mode because im more than willing to visit a grocery store at first but somewhere down the line I would like to attempt a full year without purchasing food. Anyways im kind of rambling here but wish me luck, and please offer any input

pic related
>>
File: 100 acre wood.jpg (325 KB, 2048x1152)
325 KB
325 KB JPG
>>2230486
I do have farm experience from harvesting, pickling slaughtering... not some meme herb farm, I was an operator at a dairy farm running 300 head. But something im not proficient in is construction.
>>
>>2230486
>>2230489
Have any good friends you can trust who'd like to help you get started? It'll take some time (years?) to get it established, so make sure you have some sort of income coming in other than what is essentially a project until it's up.
Why the n64?
Know your laws and what the chinese maple government can do at any time. Make sure anything outstanding is paid, and keep on top of it all. Get copies of paperwork from parents. Have any /cangen/ SKS ?
>>
>>2230486
Good luck my friend. I personally suspect even that won’t be enough but we will see.
>>
>>2230824
Oh yeah , some buddies from church are helping to raise my first structure. I work seasonal so I get a huge payday every summer and then qualify for $2000 a month all winter. Money is no issue.
The N64 is just creature comfort. I always thought it would be extra comfy with my N64 from childhood, and to let any visitors know that im not autism religious level off-grid so I can avoid those conversations about "well you bought your wood chip bedding at the CO-OP, THATS NOT OFFGRID"
The regulations are that under 24x24 does not require any inspections and doesnt need to be code. So the only thing that could de-rail me is if people started mining precious metals on the property, but Eastern Canada has already been stripped of its natural resources. The first coal mines in North America were in my area actually...but ya If they come and tear everything up because they don't like it I guess im out of luck
>>
>>2230486
You seem to type like a white man in his late twenties.
>>
>>2230943
you're on 100 acres, what are you worrying about code enforcement for?
>>
>>2230983
it's canada in the 2020s
>>2230943
what rifle do you own
>>
>>2230486
>Any advice?
yeh, don't do it.
>now 150k in the hole after chasing that dream
>>
>>2230988
lol. Love it. Share your disappointment.
>>
>>2230988
Not OP, but I'm curious to hear your story.
>>
>>2230988
>take my advice, I failed !
Like I said >>2230824
>Make sure anything outstanding is paid, and keep on top of it all. Get copies of paperwork from parents.
>>
>>2230998
>>2231004
bought 40 acres out in WV
fencing fucked by hogs OVER, AND OVER, AND OVER AGAIN...
leading into a grand total of 7 escaped nubian goats..never found them FYI
figured i'll keep turkey to fend off nuances NOPE.
copperheads got into my chicken coop TWICE. the eating chicks and eggs wasnt that big of a deal except one sent me to the hospital, biting me on the leg when trying to kill the fucker
poor soil quality; but thats ok. ill grow pine
one forest fire went through ONLY 3 acres of my pine. could have been a lot worse got lucky.
and if it wasnt something large killing my shit it was dealing with dewormer/ringworm on my angus heffers, and paying out the ass to get some dickhead to AI so you don't have to deal with a bull. not to mention the mortality on heffers and helping it rear its first is bullshit, half the time the calf dies and your AI was for fuck all. OR the heffer dies.

not to mention; tresspassers, and black bears fucking with my sleep. needless to say I sold that shit during the PaNdEmIC when everyone thought they had to get a homestead to escape the zombies. I recovered most of my losses. but between the equipment/feed/repairs/escapees/assholes killing shit. its....not what you think it is.

but hey I'm just a dumbass. you got this anon. surely, SURELY those tiktokers/youtubers/instagram whores are selfsufficient and are making money from their farms and NOT the ads/patron or some other bullshit. its a joke, its not real anon
>>
>>2231088
>didn't own a rifle
>>
>>2231094
lmao what are you going on about? do you really think
>i lived on 40 acres w/o my 30/30
or
>you can kill hogs by shooting them
dumbass either way. their fertility rates are through the roof.
>>
>>2231095
How did the copperhead bite you ?
>>
>>2231098
after smash its head in. i was moving it out of the coop apparently if i dont sever the whole head the asshole can still bite me? i have messed with snakes and never had this happen
>>
>>2230984
22, 30-06, 12ga. I used to have an SKS but got rid of it because it kept malfunctioning.
>>
>>2231199
cooey, tikka, browning
>>
>Talks about going Off-Grid
>First thing he talks about is his TV and his N64

NGMI
>>
File: der.png (134 KB, 258x334)
134 KB
134 KB PNG
>>2231088
Im not walking into this idea as some money making scheme. My family has been living here for 300 years and Im more than capable of living the way they did. I have a job in forestry that pays my bills. people doing this for money is a bit foolish I think, but hey if you can make 100 bucks here and there, ray but don't count on it.
Working on an actual dairy farm learned me not to fuck around with cattle, its too much.. I dont need a 1300 pound mouth to feed no matter how comfy a cow looks in the field its not worth the trouble, not to mention calving.
>>
Use the forest for your chickens. Treat your animals like youd your children
>>
>>2230486
N64
>>
>>2230486
study permaculture and make a garden like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRPP4Ilpxso
do one of these https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cojDsd-T6lo to get two hours of free gas every day, and put it in a green house like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD_3_gsgsnk to keep it warm in the winter.
>>
100 acres sounds like a hell of a lot of land, I am envious.
>>
>>2231205
yeah, throw your chickens into the forest for coyotes to eat. just like you would your children
>>
>>2230486
Need a bipoc city boy from ON to help out?
>>
File: rn3wqkxoic961.jpg (52 KB, 840x817)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
You'll either get depressed being alone or tough it out until you become a self induced schitzo
>>
>>2230486
>small television and N64
Read a book faggot
>>
>>2230486
>hens, turkey, goats, swine
poor choices, goats will escape constantly, swine will destroy the property, turkey will likely escape
if i'm going off grid i'm getting two mules, a few cows for milk and a handful of sheep because wool is useful for both sale and craft, the only goat i'd get is maybe an alpine variety because they're more like dogs and won't chew through fences and structures, plus they can be trained to carry things like a mule but they have more agility at navigating steep or rocky terrain
>>
>>
>>2231814
>two mules
assholes will attack and bite you
>a few cows
will die and get disease
>handful of sheep
this isnt runescape, shearing a sheep is a pain in the ass
>>
>>2231814
>a few cows for milk
dropped
>selling wool
fkn dropped again
>daily commute up a fkn mountain with my goats
what.

you can't sell wool. the market is insanely saturated, its worth nothing.
>>
>>2230486
Based maritime anon. What area? Im on 50 acres in nb. Raise chickens and ducks. Going to start fencing for a few swine in the spring.
>>
>>2231964
do you have to feed ducks? or do they graze themselves?
>>
>>2230943
>$2,000 month in gibs
Yeah that isn't off-grid or self sufficient, faggot
>>
>>2231735
Being a schizo wouldn't be so bad if you don't have to deal with other people
>>
>>2231088
this is pretty average for what its worth. typically about 99% of truly "off grid" people fail within 3 years. another 10% or so convert somehow to semi on grid running power, water ect

to any chance you need solar, a well, a wood stove, food supplies and a good shelter.
>>
>>2232251
what's 99+10 anon
>>
>>2232280
Kek
>>
>>2232229
They free range and graze all day with the chickens, i house them together and they eat the same layer feed.

>>2232242
You pay into Unemployment Insurance when you're working. If I was a seasonal worked you're goddamn right I'd take every penny back that I could. Fuck giving the government 1 red penny more than I have to.
>>
File: Maritimes (6).jpg (164 KB, 941x960)
164 KB
164 KB JPG
>>2231964
down around Fundy Park, God's Country
>>
>>2231088
>I'm just a dumbass
You said it, not me. Either do actual research or stick to living in the city.
>getting bit by a half dead snake
lmao
>poor soil quality
You wanted to homestead and didn't think about this beforehand? You didn't have ANY plans for soil augmentation?
>heifer/calf mortality
ffs you shouldn't be allowed to own anything bigger than a gerbil
>>
>>2231088
People will shit on this Anon but he speaks the truth, being a Farmer/offgrid is not nice. A part of my family still run farm, it was hard in the 70s and 80s but today isn't get any better, more worst in terms of money.

But I wouldn't discourage OP, just be realistic and don't romanticize it. Buying things like flour, milk or rice make you life ten times more pleasant than going down the 100% offgrid meme
>>
>>2231205
>>2231556
>>2231088
Can you get a guard dog or something to protect your animals?
>>
>>2233216
That Anon speaks a load of shit. Nobody is saying farming is easy, but he actively fucked up almost everything he could have. I grew up on a ranch, anybody who is losing half their calves or their heifer has no clue what they're doing. Seems like the autist couldn't stick to one thing long enough to get good at it so he failed and cried about how it wasn't his fault.

Shit ain't easy but you've at least got to make an honest effort.
>>
Im in my 3rd year of homesteading. Start long term items first. Plant long term items first like a orchard, asparagus plants, berry plants first. Plant a variety so you don't get overwhelmed all at once and you can spread risk of problems. Potatoes are going to be your pal for next year, research how to grow them. Also research root crops for the fall such as turnips and beets. Animals may be too ambitious for a first timer right away, I think chickens and goats are the way to go. Goats eat anything and you get milk. You may want to look into some sort of high tunnel or greenhouse in eastern canada. Some apples varieties will store all winter. Preservation of food is going to be key. Right now I have a small orchard, beehives, asparagus patch, mushroom logs, berry plants, and a garden.
>>
>>2233201
Based. Wife and I were down there this summer. I'm about 2 hours north, on the sj river valley

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.