[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

#410-“Not a Shitpost B8 Thread” Edition

Previous Thread:
>>2221627

Thinking about picking up a new hobby? Want to get a memecaster? Haven't mastered the Palomar knot? Click here!
http://www.pastebin.com/u/fishingandtackle
https://imgur.com/a/1Xw3N

New Bong Fishin Guide
https://pastebin.com/sDB5SQTq

First for best telescopic rod is the one you exchanged for a 3pc.

Talk about fishin
>>
File: IMG_202101002_130805.jpg (246 KB, 1018x692)
246 KB
246 KB JPG
thanks OP, i don't usually post in the fishing threads but i'll contribute some OC to get you started
>>
File: 047.jpg (384 KB, 1200x1600)
384 KB
384 KB JPG
bump
>>
File: 046.jpg (3.67 MB, 3456x4608)
3.67 MB
3.67 MB JPG
>>
File: 005.jpg (3.88 MB, 4608x3456)
3.88 MB
3.88 MB JPG
>>
File: 067.jpg (3.8 MB, 3456x4608)
3.8 MB
3.8 MB JPG
>>
File: 006.jpg (616 KB, 1932x2576)
616 KB
616 KB JPG
>>
File: 012.jpg (290 KB, 1053x431)
290 KB
290 KB JPG
>>
fishe
>>
File: 012.jpg (3.43 MB, 3456x4608)
3.43 MB
3.43 MB JPG
>>
File: 168.jpg (3.69 MB, 4608x3456)
3.69 MB
3.69 MB JPG
>>
File: 174.jpg (147 KB, 1200x1599)
147 KB
147 KB JPG
>>
File: 178.jpg (438 KB, 1600x1080)
438 KB
438 KB JPG
last bump. Fall fishing is so much fun here.
>>
>>2228155
God I love South Carolina
>>
>>2228210
Perch is a best for fish & chips.
>>
File: IMG_20210921_144916~2.jpg (1.27 MB, 2112x3634)
1.27 MB
1.27 MB JPG
Been having great fun with the schoolies this year, would be nice to find one of their parents though
>>
File: sunfish.jpg (840 KB, 1538x1962)
840 KB
840 KB JPG
>>
I'm jigging for walleye this week in 18-25 ft of water and end up getting 3 small mouths in a row, one was 3.3lb 18inch, on a 4lb test and jigging pole fast action.
>>
File: IMG_20211010_145046.jpg (3.07 MB, 4608x3456)
3.07 MB
3.07 MB JPG
WHERE'S THE FUCKING FISH

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH
>>
Picrel is a baby jewfish I caught off the dock in the Keys. Threw him back of course but what do you anons think about the impending opening of a Goliath Grouper harvest?
>>
>>2228396
I'm a New Englander so grain of salt but from what I've heard they're common enough around piers to be a nuisance taking fish off peoples lines and there's only going to be a small slot, right? A trophy season wouldn't be great but no reason why a conservative tag limit can't work on a species which has made a huge rebound since the 90's. I haven't seen any hard numbers from scientific studies though.
>>
>>2228393
what kind of fish can you catch in Australia
>>
>>2228393
This >>2228468

Good luck catching those LBM and Northern Pike in Australia. Also shouldn’t you be locked inside your apartment according to the law? I don’t think you can go fishing at the concentration camps.

>>2228460
>>
WHERE THE FUCK IS THE SURF BITE IN LOS ANGELES THANKS
>>
gimme ur best fall perch pro tips and hax
>>
File: IMG_20211010_132434.jpg (3.81 MB, 3456x2769)
3.81 MB
3.81 MB JPG
I catch lots of these cichlids on ultralight tackle near the Everglades. They fight hard and are good to eat.
>>
>>2228495
Yessir

>>2228492
Supposedly the Oscars used to be the main cichlid a few years back, like maybe the 90s, then they had a cold summer that the Oscsars couldn’t handle and the Mayan cichlids (your pic) took over. There’s still bluegill but I think the Mayans take over their habitats a lot.

I guess the peacock bass were introduced to try and keep the cichlids and other invasives in check because the native bass are lazy. And there’s other cool invasives, little local populations of random cichlids like pic related, jaguar cichlids. I have seen some orange Midas cichlids in little canals, and those Jack Dempsey fush in another pond, A whole lot of plecostomus in the canals and ponds, and up in Palm Beach County there’s these couple lakes with a breeding population of those brown knife fish that get fairly large. Stupid people releasing their aquarium fish. The snakeheads were spillover from some Asian fish farming operation during Hurricane Andrew or some shit.
>>
>>2228219
God that's a nice haul
>>
>>2228396
I would start fishing again if jewfish were open to harvest. Holy fuck that sounds awesome
>>
Any recommendations for a rob/reel combo that I can throw in a small-medium backpack (slightly larger than a 17" display laptop backpack, not like something you would use for a multi-day trip) then to go for a hike to fish with? Don't need anything fancy since I'm new to fishing and just want something usable that won't break.
>>
What is poly leaders and how do they work?
>>
>>2228594
I have a Daiwa Ballistic X Tele Spin 2,1m; 7-21g, it collapses to 59cm. I put it in my smallish backpack it sticks out about 20cm. The smalles collapsable tele rod I am aware of is the Shimano Stc Mini, the 1.80m one collapses to 30cm. It has more parts tho, more parts=more potential break points. Someone I know has the Shimano stc mini, he told me the tip keeps breaking off, but I think that's because of user error he breaks stuff constantly. A 4 piece rod should be even more durable than a tele rod but I haven't had any problem with my Daiwa (yet)
>>
Any tips for steelhead when they're not biting? I use a small jig tipped with maggots and sometimes a spawn sac but it's been slow going. I have 6lb flouro on and toss a spinner and spoon to change things up but it rarely gets them to bite
>>
>>2228155
>>
>>2228599
It's a piece of monocore fly line that is affixed to the end of a standard fly line to "convert" the normal fly line to a sink tip. They usually have s few feet of the mono core exposed at the end ready for tippet to be tied on directly, or affixed via tippet ring or micro swivels
>>
>>2228384
Where was this? Im heading out for walleyes and smallies tomorow.
>>
Tranny jannies once again putting band aids on a recurring problem which is of course the faggot menace. Keep faggotry out of fishing, dog bless
>>
>>2228783
Dog bless anon
>>
>>2228645
Ah so if I'm using an intermediate line, I'd not need anything like this, ok
>>
Goodness, I am a beginner to fishing.

All the choices for rods, which are the least likely to get snagged and give me trouble?

You don't want to get everything tangled up in a big knot. Do they make special fishing line that is less likely to do that?
>>
>>2228814
Go to the store and buy yourself a $20 zebco and a bobber kit, some hooks, and some worms.
Have fun!
>>
I live in Delaware County PA the only consistent fishing is panfish in streams I hate it I hate it I hate it I hate it
>>
>>2228814
Depends where you are at/what you wanna fish. Get a spinning reel setup, I'd say 10-30g is a good alround range, maybe even lighter. No baitcaster because with them the rod weight range matching with the bait weight is absolutely critical. Any spinning reel from 50$+ from a reputable brand should be good.(I recommend Daiwa or Shimano) Generally I'd say braid tangles up a lot more than mono so get some cheap mono, for trout something between 5-10lb. I think the most versatile lures are spinners something between 2-6g, but put a swivel before it.
>>
>>2228835
And get a lot of lures or whatever you wanna put on the line, because you gonna lose them, especially if you are new.
>>
>>2228791
it can still be worth having to turn you line in to an intermediate sink tip but with a heavy enough fly it wont matter most of the time.
>>2228818
those assholes like to tangle its worse than a spinning reel for that
>>2228814
well, for getting your rod snagged, that's on you either casting in to snags or not watching your rod tip in tight spaces. the problem is all rods and reels tangle up in some way sooner or later wheather by mechanical means or user error. spinning and spincast reels cause tangles by twisting the line a half turn with every revolution of the bail around the spool (the winding action). baitcasters and conventional reels avoid this by having line wind in and out directly from the spool instead of winding it with a rotating arm, however they are much more prone to tangles (usually called birds nests and back lashed) from user error like in >>2228787
i think you will be best off with a spinning reel despite the potential to tangle from the twisting because user error is less likely to fuck it up. as for what size reel and rod you want depends mostly on what you're gonna be catching. so where do you plan on fishing?
>>
>>2228155

I'm trying to get back into fishing by going back to basics this fall and want to do some pan/microfishing: yellow perch, sunfish, chub, micro bass, etc.. Tiny guys. I don't want to target anything too fat.
It's been a while, but what would be a good mindless "generalist" rig/setup? My personal plan is to just tie a 1/8th Jighead direct to the line, bait it with some 1-3 inch soft plastics, and just hang out.

Any advice would be appreciated. I haven't fished in probably 6 years.
>>
>>2228897
Worm under a float, gulp minnows 1" dropshotted, trout magnets, maribou jigs, those little crankbaits that look like bugs etc. Make sure you're using light enough tackle for this fishing, mostly the line. Around 4 or 6lb mono should be good.
>>
>>2228787
Throw it in the water and start over
>>
>>2228897
go smaller, think 1/16, 1/32, even 1/64th oz
and also consider jigs like pic related or even just flies.
>>
>>2228949
>go smaller, think 1/16, 1/32, even 1/64th oz

Yeah, that's what I've been worried about. I never go small enough.

>and also consider jigs like pic related

Would I still attach a soft plastic to something like that or do you just cast it out 'dry'?

>>2228926
>Worm under a float

I know that set up works for real bait like live worms, maggots, etc.. But would such a setup still work for plastic lures?
I hadn't been using the 'classic' bobber with a dropshot since I figured I wouldn't get the action I needed to make the lures work on something like that. (there's a freshwater bait ban where I live.)
>>
>>2228961
Usually dry but tipped with maggots or wax worms is effective
>>
>>2228961
>But would such a setup still work for plastic lures?
Absolutely, the ripples on the top of the water give a subtle jigging action, as does twitching the bobber. You can also do a stop and go
>>
>>2228897
1/8 jigs are too heavy unless you are fishing deeper water. 1/64 for super shallow or just fishing the top of the water column. 1/32 for at least 3 feet of water. 1/16 for like 4 to 5 ft of water.

Also bring some bobbers, jig heads still work great under a float and if the lures aren't working for you, slap some bait on that jig head.
>>
>>2228818
Zebco Masterace! Nice!
>>
>>2228851
You're right, a spinning combo with braid basically doesn't tangle
>>
>>2228814
1 piece medium light spinning rod and a spinning reel with 6lb trilene xl mono.
>>
>>2228897
live or fake weightless insects, 1/16oz or 1/32oz jig heads and beetle spins. these two things are panfish and dink bass SLAYERS. Trust me, nothing better. I've caught 3lb bass on them even. rig the crickets straight to the line and they float, or put a tiny swivel on them and they sink real slow.
> https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass-pro-shops-uncle-bucks-panfish-creatures-crickets-with-hook
> https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass-pro-shops-uncle-bucks-panfish-creatures-crawfish-rigged
>>
>>2229065
it will if it's windy out. wind knots are easy to get with lighter braid when casting into wind. got them quite often when using 15lb braid on windy days. I just use mono on the windy days. otherwise I love the braid. mono is just the easier route for beginners though if they get something decent like trilene xl.
>>
File: 1618055910317.jpg (16 KB, 430x528)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
Can someone tell me if I'm dumb or my new reel is broken? I'm new to fishing and I bought a Daiwa Saltist some time ago. When I first tried using it the bail wouldn't close upon reeling. The reel handle would get stuck and I'd have to close the bail manually to continue reeling. I, being unsure if modern reels just require lots of force to close the bail, tried turning the reel handle harder. When I did that there was a crunch and now I can reel freely but the bail never closes. Shouldn't an open bail always close when you start reeling?
>>
>>2229124
Closing the bail by turning the handle really isn't good for the reel in the long run, it's good to get into the habit of closing it manually, before long it'll become second nature and you won't even realize you're doing it
>>
>>2229124
Some reels don't have an automatic bail. The reason for excluding it is that if the handle moves during a cast it can trip the bail closed and snap off your lure.
>>
1 acre pond is infested with small warmouth. I've removed about 100 in the past 2 days. Also 7 small crappie. The bluegill, fliers, and redfin pickerel I put in there seem to be chilling. I guess I just have to try to kill as many warmouth and crappie as possible to unfuck this pond. The warmouth make good catfish bait when I go to the river too.
>>
>>2229138
> complaining about warmouth and crappie
literally the two best panfish aside from green sunfish. anyways, sounds like you need some predators because you're playing a losing game. Obviously turtles are a bad idea because they will explode in population in no time.
>>
What do you all fish chatterbaits on? I see a lot of guys talk about glass, other guys fish them on jig rods, but nobody ever talks about fishing a chatterbait on a moderate action graphite rod. Wouldn’t that be a good compromise between having a backbone to set the hook and a soft tip to fight the fish?
>>
>>2229182
99% of irl fishermen don't have 9 different rods for each technique like these YouTube faggots. They can carry all those rods because they stay on a $30k bass boat wearing clean clothes like a queer. I'll use a chatterbait on whatever $50 rod I want to and they won't do a god-damn thing or I'll knock them the fuck out and slash the tires on their $60k truck.
>>
>>2229186
I am not sure if your just talking about bass fishing only but I am approaching 9 setups and will go over. So far I have:

-Short ultralight
-Long distance ultralight
-General purpose light
-Mini dock/boat rod
-Heavy pier / boat
-Medium bait fishing
-Medium-light open water lure fishing
-Surf
>>
>>2229186
Okay well I actually do have 9 setups.

6’9” ML Spinning
7’ M Spinning
6’8” M Casting
7’ MH Casting with fluoro
7’ MH Casting with braid
7’2” M Glass Casting
7’4” H Casting
7’6” MH Casting
7’10” Swimbait Casting

I’m actually looking to add at least three more. Some kind of chatterbait/lipless rod, a longer spinning rod for things like spybaits and hair jigs, and another 7’ MH casting rod with fluoro so I don’t have to retie my multi purpose rod so much
>>
>>2229186
This conversation comes up in the general every once in a while. Off the top of my head I can think of upwards of 25 setups I have ready to go. Granted I do a lot of different types of fishing, from fixed line ditch fishing for minnows to tuna rigs.
>>
File: 20211011_124237.jpg (3.05 MB, 4032x3024)
3.05 MB
3.05 MB JPG
>>2229173
All of the literature I've read about pond management says crappie, warmouth, and green sunfish are terrible for ponds under 5 acres. And hopefully the redfin pickerel will thin out their numbers when they're small. I do need to add more bass to eat the bigger ones tho.
>>
>>2229186
I have 7 different spinning rods and 4 reels. Everything from a 10' glass surf rod to a 5' UL. Rod selection depends on the size of the water I'm fishing and the weight of the lures I plan to use. Could probably get by with fewer, but it's nice to have spares for friends and whatnot.
>>
>>2229132
>>2229134
Thanks and I don't mind closing the bail manually, what I'm worried about is the fact that I couldn't turn the handle with the bail open before whereas it's possible now. Guess I'll ask Daiwa
>>
>>2229186
Jesus christ. Always wondered who the scowling people that try to start arguments at boat landings were.
>>
>>2229186
I have dozens of rod/reel combos, more rods for when I want to swap out the reels, different spools for certain reels with different weight lines and several nets. Eat shit.
>>
File: Tiny.png (553 KB, 285x900)
553 KB
553 KB PNG
>>2228155
Caught the little guy at Del Valle Reservoir (Livermore, CA)

He's a baby Largemouth Bass, right?
At first I thought it was a Smallmouth but I noticed the horizontal line running towards his tail.
>>
File: k2xx25.jpg (782 KB, 1536x2048)
782 KB
782 KB JPG
>>2228155
Spent all day at a pond yesterday catching dinks, still haven't caught a decent bass since July. I'd hoped that the cooler weather got the bigger ones in a biting mood, but apparently not.
>>
>>2229321
LMB
>>
File: Moon-With-Oceans.png (3.57 MB, 1855x770)
3.57 MB
3.57 MB PNG
>>2229343
Thanks, fren.
I want to keep my fishing journal as accurate as possible.

#1: King Salmon - 5 lbs - 21 inches
#2: King Salmon - 10 lbs - 27 inches
#3: Lingcod - 8 lbs - 25 to 27 inches (Length measuring was rushed and fish had become stiff at a bent angle)
#4: Starry Rockfish - lbs unknown - length unknown
#5: Starry Rockfish - lbs unknown - length unknown
#6: Blue Rockfish - lbs unknown - length unknown
#7: Blue Rockfish - lbs unknown - length unknown
#8: Vermilion Rockfish - lbs unknown - length unknown
#9: Yellowtail Rockfish - lbs unknown - length unknown
#10: Yellowtail Rockfish - lbs unknown - length unknown
#11: Yellowtail Rockfish - lbs unknown - length unknown
#12: Bocaccio Rockfish - lbs unknown - length unknown
#13: Largemouth Bass - Under 1 lbs - Roughly 7 inches
>>
>>2229124
NEVER close the bail arm by turning the handle, worn down and broke my favourite reel doing this

You get so many problems, to start with you will see the bail arm closing by itself when you cast because the mechanism is so worn, and suddenly that new expensive lure is gone, gone, gone
>>
>>2229426
>>2229134
>>2229132
Sorry for mass reply, but is turning the handle bad for spinners too? Just seems a pain to get the reel in the same spot each time before casting to get that habit pattern of reaching for the same side every time I cast. I'm a week into fishing so please no bully
>>
>>2229431
Are you making use of your drag at all? Should be able to pull line out with the bail closed and in position for casting.
>>
>>2229440
Not making use of the drag as far as casting goes. Is this the proper technique?
>>
are there any potential fishing waifus on youtube? theres femboy fishing but i dont like trannies(yet)
>>
>>2229111
>>2228968
>>2228949

Thanks again, guys.
I double checked and I was using 1/8oz jigheads with 3inch plastic soft white grubs. I'll scale everything down to 1/16 or 1/32, some 1inch plastics if I can find them (or would the 3inch still be fine?) per your advice and see if I have more success.
>>
>move out of state
>now know no spots except the shitty overfished ones
>havent caught anything in over a year
it's been brutal
>>
File: ydn9nw.jpg (410 KB, 2048x1536)
410 KB
410 KB JPG
Woolly Bugger + Beetle Spin - Will it catch creek and pond dinks?
>>
File: received_534562413672378.jpg (987 KB, 2592x1944)
987 KB
987 KB JPG
>>2229669
For sure but you should consider the following
>pic related
>>
>>2229282
Having a a whole bunch of species in a small pond is just going to lead to none of them getting to trophy size. Ideally you want a healthy reproducing population of some baitfish (eg. shiner), an opportunistic feeder that will eat anything (eg. a sunfish or bullhead), and then a predator species that only really eats fish. The real key is making sure there is plenty of terrestrial food available and that your bait fish are thriving. If your bait keeps getting wiped out you just have a really big aquarium and not a proper ecosystem.

Bluegill are really terrible to have in an overcrowded pond, as a species adaptation they have these males that mature but stay small but are fast and vicious and will absolutely out compete fish bigger than them. You need plenty of big Esox or big LMB to keep bluegill population in check. Green and warmouth just have oversized mouths and eat same food size as say young crappie or LMB, if you don't have enough larger sized food this can become an issue.
>>
>>2229533
In my experience the thickness or profile of a bait is more important than overall length. Most fish can slurp down long thin baits like spaghetti but they get nervous about thick stuff they could choke on or whatever.
>>
>>2229467
pulling your line with the bail closed against the drag is normal, its how you fine tune the exact amount of line hanging from the tip of your rod.

after you cast you want to close the bail with your hand, then using your hand make sure the line is in the roller and then after picking up slack only then do you start to reel with the handle. It seems like a lot at first but it becomes second nature pretty quickly. Failure to do so will get knots in your line and you will tangled under your spool.
>>
>>2229521

There is pretty much 3 types on Youtube:
1) Bikini / butt shots, where every video is just softcore porn for boomers, usually too painful / cringey to watch.
2) Actual fisherwomen but they walk the line and will occasionally do sexy stuff for thumbnails / views.
3) Midwesty women who really like the outdoors and the most risky thing they do is facebook glamour shot tier, probably will end up blue balling yourself if you watch just for waifu material.
>>
>>2229694
For me it's the Japanese promoter chicks in Japanese brand channels
>>
Probably a stupid question but does this mean I can't target trout for C&R outside of these dates or is this just for harvest?
>>
>>2229560
Idk about the laws in your state but in mine you can fish from most bridges that don't have a sign saying you can't. I use Google earth to follow creeks/swamps etc to find them.
Also public lands, like here we have Wildlife Management Areas. They're mostly used for hunting. If you follow a creek off the road into the woods you can get away from where the few rednecks (and black ppl that are brave enough to enter the woods have pressured and dumped all their empty bait cans) have been and you get into some u touched fishing areas.
>>
>>2229799
just "target" another fish and put back the trout you catch by accident
>>
>>2229799
Depends on your state laws, there is no universal thing. For example where I live its about possession and if you hold a fish in your hands or a net to take a picture its considered possessing it and you are breaking the law. The expectation is if you accidentally hook one you should remove the hook while its still in the water and not stopping to take pictures. (and yes they will sometimes come after people who post things on facebook)
>>
File: images (10).jpg (11 KB, 301x167)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
which is better lure color?
gold
or
silver
>>
>>2230041
Crystal
>>
>>2228155
lmao you can tell from the pic that she just ripped that bass off of a bed
>>
Can bass fishing be even considered real fishing? They literally bite on anything.
>>
>>2230057
How would it be "fake" fishing? Are bass fishermen catching birds and calling them fish? Can you stop trying so hard to feel special because you like something, you stupid faggot.
>>
>>2230063
Bass "fishers" don't even eat the fish they catch lol
>>
>>2230064
What for? What sort of poverty logic is that? If someone wants to catch fish for fun without eating them, why not? Are you poor?
>>
>>2230055
you can see a bed in the water just behind the fish
>>
>>2230137
yes, that is the aspect of the photo to which I am referring
>>
Why do people hate braid for saltwater fishing? Other than it’s expensive
>>
>>2230217
Maybe you should stop looking at stupid people's opinions.
>>
Do Coarse Fish (suckers, chub, roach, carp, bottom feeders etc) actually give a shit about fake plastic baits or do they exclusively operate by smell and will only take the actual, real, stinky. meaty, worms?
>>
>>2230249
I thought carp eat artificial corn
>>
>>2230055
I had fun getting sneks protecting their fry. Run a spinner past and 1000 little fry will be jumping all over the place and then the adult snaps super hard at the lure
>>
File: IMG_20211012_174807026.jpg (774 KB, 2048x1536)
774 KB
774 KB JPG
>>2228155
Found a spot where I was actually able to creek fish, public stream access point led to a little 300 yard long beach or old road bed or something. Caught 3 dink smallmouth, 1 bigger than this one that I dropped as soon as I popped him out of the water and couldn't get a picture of and one smaller, in about an hour. Factoring in the current these guys put up more of a fight than 3-5lb largemouth I've caught in reservoirs with the same gear.

I wish I could do more creek fishing but it's hard to do in West Virginia because there's not a lot of wild streams since the terrain means that all civilization is right smack dab by the river, plus there's not very much walkable river bank.
>>
File: IMG_20211012_171557131.jpg (619 KB, 1536x2048)
619 KB
619 KB JPG
>>2230309
Also caught a warmouth with this thing which is a first >>2229669
>>
>>2230310
rockbass*
>>
>>2230310
>>2230309
Nice anon! There's so many streams in the Appalachians, I would think you could find more
>>
>>2230313
In the coalfields, I'd have to wade or get a kayak to get access to most of the parts that are fishable. That's the 3rd stream access I've checked out and the first one that's actually a decent fishing spot. It's not like in the south or midwest where you can just park on the side of the road and walk across an open field or a bit of flat woods to get to miles of fishable banks.
>>
File: 20210926_123843.jpg (3.24 MB, 4128x2322)
3.24 MB
3.24 MB JPG
Here are some of my last catches
>>
File: 20210926_104608.jpg (3.29 MB, 4128x2322)
3.29 MB
3.29 MB JPG
>>
File: 20210920_183850-min.jpg (1.68 MB, 2320x4128)
1.68 MB
1.68 MB JPG
>>
File: 20210504_131733-min.jpg (2.05 MB, 4128x2322)
2.05 MB
2.05 MB JPG
>>
>>2230310
that is the mighty rock bass, king of all game fish
>>
File: 78362.jpg (155 KB, 600x800)
155 KB
155 KB JPG
>>
File: images.jpg (4 KB, 292x173)
4 KB
4 KB JPG
How do I rig spawn sacs? Should I put a treble hook through it or just loop a small hook through one side?
>>
>>2230624
damn, the transition between the silver side and green back looks cool as hell on this one
>>
why do americans like baitcasters so much?
is it because you hold them like a gun?
>>
>>2230706
They do "feel" quite nice in the hand, they have their limitations with distance and casting very light weights (although BFS reels coming out of Japan have closed the gap considerably, the best reels can manage down to about 1g with a bit of skill) but they can be very accurate and offer a lot of control
>>
>>2230706
>>2230709
Accuracy and control are my main things, if I overcast I can jam on the spool and stop the lure in the air easier than a spinning reel.
>>
>>2230706
I use spinners, baitcasters and conventionals pretty regularly. They all have pros and cons, baitcasters give you a lot more precision when casting over spinners and you can get capacity and drag for a lot cheaper than a spinning reel. Spinning reels are much better throwing lighter lures and I prefer them for presentations where you impart the action with the rod. Conventionals are better for larger fish and when fishing bait, especially flylining live bait, and when fishing for pelagics you don't want a line guide when a tuna goes on a run.
>>
>>2230736
>>2230709
>>2230737
the drag doesnt make any fun noises though
>>
File: 20211013_141841.jpg (1.33 MB, 3024x3024)
1.33 MB
1.33 MB JPG
>>
File: 20211013_141854.jpg (1.27 MB, 3024x3024)
1.27 MB
1.27 MB JPG
>>2230741
>>
>>2230709
I like spinners better for ultralight, 1g jigheads with trout magnets cast perfect. Spinners also have better sealing for saltwater use.
>>
Caught my first ever squid! Pumped!

I had the whole pier to myself all night
>>
>>2230795
Good job. Egi lures I assume?
>>
>>2230827
Yeah, I also had one under the float that didn't get any attention
>>
>>2230738
It does when a tuna runs.
>>
Big peas are out in south FL lately. Twitch baits and minnow lures working pretty well
>>
>>2229426
Depends on the reel. Some it won't matter, and others you cannot manually close the bail without damaging the mechanism. (Old "autobail" Mitchell 330's for example).
>>
Bros im getting a boat. Its a 14ft v hull john boat with a 6hp Yamaha.
>>
Anyone ever eat a spawning kokanee salmon?
>>
>>2230921
>tfw you get a few days in the Keys and don’t even bring the fishin gear
Not like I have gotten a line wet in the past year, but I wasn’t about to load up the wife’s Civic with my rods. Probably going to get some kayaks today, maybe snorkel tomorrow, could possibly find a fishing charter.
>>
>>2231197
It's a good time of year for fishing. Hit the backwaters, anon.
>>
>>2228594
2-piece ugly stik
>>
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=202120220AB817

California will finally have 365 day long licenses instead of only being valid for a specific year and allow you to display an electronic copy of your license.

Also says base fee of $31.25 for residents. Don't know how this will be applied. I paid about $60 this year.

They have until Jan 1, 2023 to implement it so I'm guessing it'll still be the same as current next year.
>>
99% of my fishing involves holding the rod out over the water along the bank and jigging... but I don't own a long jigging rod. What the fuck am I waiting for?
>>
>>2231375
I'm thinking about getting a jigging rod too desu senpai
>>
>>2229232
finally and non autist arsenal
>>
File: 20211013_144155.jpg (2.14 MB, 2268x3025)
2.14 MB
2.14 MB JPG
First time catching yellow perch and I got 6 in about an hour. 8-11inches
>>
Can anyone tell me why I can only catch mountain whitefish in a trout stream?
>>
>>2231692
Looks like the offspring of a trout and bonefish
>>
I'm poor, have a rod and a car but I can't afford a boat, what's the most rewarding type of fishing I should do?
I live on a peninsula between the ocean and a bay but I'm not sure that there's many rivers here
Also I hate the idea of not eating what you catch
Is fishing on the shore a good way to catch fish?
>>
>>2231721
If I see your bucket brigading ass out there I am cutting your line.
>>
>>2231721
Depends on where you are, but generally yes. In OR surf perch are all over the place. Not the most exciting fish to catch but they make dank fish tendies
>>
>>2231726
Sorry I don't really understand what you mean by that...
>>2231727
Southern Australia
You need a really long rod for shore fishing right? My rod is just a standard short one I think, used to use it for fishing on a pier
>>
>>2231728
Oh wait, nvm
Is that really such a bad thing to do?
I just don't like the idea about catching and then releasing a fish unless they're undersized
>>
>>2231728
Depends, you need to learn your local species and where they hang out. I catch perch in sandbar troughs so they may not be too far out, but the surf is rough so I have to throw 2-4 oz of lead to keep the surf from just tossing my bait all over the place. For that I have a cheap 10' fiberglass rod and a 4000 size spinning reel with 25' braid and 20' shock leader of 30 lb mono. See the max lure weight for your rod to know how much lead you can throw. Then figure out how far you need to cast, and how much weight you'll need for the surf. Figure out what kind of species live in your waters and where they hang out and what they bite. Sorry for the seppo units actually not sorry.

As far as >>2231731 is concerned just check your local regulations. Around my neck of the woods some species have no size or bag limits and some can't be removed from the water at all even for a picture. There are likely to be gear restrictions as well, some sections of my local river are barbless hooks only, lures and flies only no baits or soft baits.
>>
>>2231733
Yeah that seems like good advice, thanks anon
Was just wondering if it was worthwhile doing and so should probs look at local advice now for the details
Also we have size and bag limits here, I was mostly just thinking about catch and release sport fishing which I'd rather not do
>>
>>2231747
Yeah I get that, I fish to eat too. But I don't mind if a big Coho slams my lure and I have to throw it back because it's a native and not a hatchery fish. It's still a lot of fun and I'm not gonna starve if I can't catch a fish to eat. Part of the skill of fishing in the surf is learning how to target the fish you want, and not just whatever happens to be hanging out. Good luck!
>>
>>2231728
Get some yabbies and catch whiting white minimal gear
>>
File: SS2261158.jpg (184 KB, 1200x776)
184 KB
184 KB JPG
How the hell do I catch Tadpole Madtoms???

Do they even live in Canada???

WTF???
>>
>>2230738
My Antares and Calcutta Conquests do.
>>
>>2231721
you can fish with anything, and anywhere... but learning area and species specific techniques is gonna make it more worthwhile. nothing wrong with sportfishing if you are humane and do it to enjoy the outdoors. if you plan on catching fish to eat, it's probably easiest to target smaller common species of fish.
>>2231822
you got a deathwish?
>>
>>2231842
hey man. im just trying to catch a catfish.
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (80 KB, 900x900)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
>>2231726
Based and Bob the gabagemanpilled
>>
>>2230249
>>2230251
i think to some extend. Pike will bite a metal spoon because it merely has to have some similarities with prey and its convinced(shining). carp here will bite artificial corn and artificial boilies, but simply because anglers here feed them the real stuff regularly by chumming. I do not think that you can introduce artificial corn/boilies to a carp that has never seen them before, however you could give them the real one and by scent they would probably eat it. So for course fish I think it has to actually be tricked into not knowing its artificial, so it has to be something that closely resembles something they wouldnt hesitate about, so fake worm replica(actual worm looking worms) and stuff should work.
>>
File: CIMG0702_zps431b3294.jpg (167 KB, 1024x768)
167 KB
167 KB JPG
>>2230249
>>
File: 1623035814898_resize_29.jpg (1.03 MB, 1200x812)
1.03 MB
1.03 MB JPG
>>2230249
I know of people catch suckers, chub, and carp on fly. I guess you can fish for them with bait if you lack the skill.
picrel is pb fallfish I got on a bait fish pattern
>>
Wish me luck, about to cross the border into baja for some cabrilla at gonzaga bay off the kayaks. Will post anything of note.
>>
>>2231901
I've caught carp on soft baits resembling crayfish, on East Grand Traverse bay, so it may depend on what they are used to feeding on.
>>
What kind of fish did I catch here? My dad said it was smallmouth bass, but I'm not sure. I caught this in East Texas yesterday.
>>
>>2232028
LMB
>>
>>2232028
Your dad is a retard. That's a textbook largemouth. This >>2230309 is a smallmouth, albeit a dink.
>>
>>2232028
brown recluse
>>
File: 91-01165 (2).jpg (101 KB, 560x560)
101 KB
101 KB JPG
what hooks do you guys use on a pickerel rig? baitholder, circle, aberdeen?
>>
>>2232090
smallmouth bass are just baby largemouth bass
>>
>>2228155
How do I keep my fishing shit from stinking up my van?
My soft plastics smell even when I put them in ziplocks
>>
>>2232147
soft plastics always stink once they sit in a hot car. just get a container that seals air tight. with a rubber seal.
>>
>>2232150
>container that seals air tight. with a rubber seal
Any reccomendationa?
>>
File: Freshwatertierlist.jpg (72 KB, 1205x750)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
>>
>>2232151
maybe one of those overpriced Plano ones that have a latch on 3 sides and the rubber seal. It should block the smell if they are in a ziplock back AND in one of those.
>>
>>2232147
Dont store your fishing gear in the van. problem solved
>>
>>2232155
I'm.homeless
>>
>>2232156
dont be homeless, problem solved
>>
>>2232152
you know what they say about opinions, they can't be wrong, i think you managed to break that rule.
>>
>>2232182
Virgin carp fisherman detected
>>
>>2232186
this list does not correspond to any quality of the fish. It's not in how hard they are to catch order, its not how hard they fight order, it's not in how good they taste order.
>>
File: 20210725_110200.jpg (2.8 MB, 4032x2268)
2.8 MB
2.8 MB JPG
juvie rainbows have great patterns
>>
>>2232211
yes it's just my subjective most fun fish to fish for you should make one too
>>
Any recommendations for a telescopic surf rod? Total noob here, think I've got freshwater covered decently well with my Daiwa Triple BBB (yeah, I know, but I didn't fucking name the thing); but I'd like a surf equivalent to cover one specific contingency.
>>
File: PXL_20211014_215638513.jpg (3.18 MB, 4032x3024)
3.18 MB
3.18 MB JPG
Finally found some time for a good old fashioned dink trip
>>
>>2232235
The Mako hurricane on Amazon is pretty neat. It's heavy and nothing special but it's convenient to fly with
>>
>>2232264
Thank you, Anon. May I ask how long you've had yours, and what your overall experience with it has been like? Any specific weaknesses I should know about as a total fucking idiot looking for a generalist salt shore-fishing setup?
>>
Anyone here tried eating sashimi by inspecting thin slices of fish for eggs only?
>>
Is it a dumb idea to get into fishing cause I want to have japanese style grilled eel but the only eel they sell here is frozen?
I really like the strong fishy and fatty taste of the eel but can other eels have worse flavour?
>>
>>2232412
What species of eel? You can buy live Sargasso, they use them for giant live baits.
>>
>>2228155
whats the best lure/ lb of line/ bait to use on salmon and other big fish in the puget sound?
>>
>>2232412
If your in the west coast you can't catch Monkeyface prickleback eel pretty easily by going to a jetty and poke poling , its also pretty easy to make a poke pole, I've seen people use damaged rods, bamboo, pvc pipe, and other items to make their poles
>>
>>2232653
Those aren't actually eels just regular boney fish. They are similar to stuff like wolffishes, gunnels and eelpouts.
>>
File: thumbnail.jpg (147 KB, 1280x720)
147 KB
147 KB JPG
i made a fishing video, of a session last week where I caught my very first squid, if anybody is interested

https://youtu.be/FDGYZlR3bSM

anyone else here like squid fishing and can give me rig tips?
>>
File: IMG_20211016_131720.jpg (1.52 MB, 3809x1335)
1.52 MB
1.52 MB JPG
>>2228492
I went fishing again and caught this gar on ultralight spinning gear and an 1/8th oz Yozuri.
>>
>>2232727
very nice video
>>
>>2232152
Based list. As a largemouth and salmonid fishermen, I'd honestly switch smallmouth and largemouth around. They fight so much harder pound for pound. My PB largemouth didn't even fucking fight. My PB smallmouth felt like I was fighting a fucking monster though and still jumping out of the water while I had my rod tip directly pointing into the water.
>>
File: fishe.jpg (69 KB, 450x960)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
Caught a fat sweetlip spearfishing off the shore today :---DDD
>>
>>2228219
Hell yeah cuz. Same.
>>
i tied a 0.75mm fluorocarbon leader to my braid with an fg know and (unsuprisingly) it doesnt pass through my guides seamlessly, what thickness of fluoro will start to allow me to make long leaders so they can go through the guides easily?
>>
>>2233102
Nice triple tail
>>
>>2233194
Any reason why you're using a leader long enough to have to go through the guides?
>>
File: BG1.jpg (534 KB, 1987x2110)
534 KB
534 KB JPG
>>2232881
while technically not a fish......
>>
File: BG3.jpg (2.19 MB, 2417x3057)
2.19 MB
2.19 MB JPG
Have a great day, fren. I'll miss you.
>>
File: 1634486527_1444494.png (583 KB, 1444x494)
583 KB
583 KB PNG
What does it catch?
>>
>>2233258
Zoomers and probably musky
>>
>>2233248
>>2233249
Wtf, is that an orange alligator?
>>
>>2233232
Unless you are fishing very long rods, eg. 10 ft it's normal to have leader go through your guides. If you have a 6 or 7 ft rod your leader would either be stupidly tiny or you could only side arm cast.
>>
>>2233266
Black/brown with amber markings. Typical baby American alligator.
>>
is spear fishing a more reliable way of getting fish for food?
>>
File: Tenkara_fishing.jpg (70 KB, 684x391)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
Tried japanese fly fishing (I got a tenkara rod as a present) it's pretty fun and easy, even though I didn't catch anything.(I was previously aversed to fly fishing because of the cost and having to learn new casting technique)

What kind of flys/lures would you recommend for bigger rivers? I guess ideally you'd flyshish in smaller clear streams but we don't have that here.
>>
>>2233294
yes, its also incredibly easy especially in freshwater. Know somebody who did it illegally their first time on a lake with walmart gear and had a giant full stringer in 45 minutes.
>>
>>2233297
wtf is tenkara? is it just fly fishing without the reel? can't you just buy a cheap eagle claw fiberglass fly rod and use it without a reel?
>>
>>2233315
this
>>
>>2233315
I haven't used a conventional fly rod before so I can't tell you how it compares. You tie the line directly to the tip, some kind of thick braid with a clear thin leader. You just cast using your wrist, no swinging with your arm
>>
File: IMG_20211017_140107.jpg (4.09 MB, 3904x2581)
4.09 MB
4.09 MB JPG
Finally got a fish on the tokyo rig!
I was wondering if I wasn't feeling the strikes or just not getting bites, are bass strikes more subtle? Perch have a much smaller mouth, when bass take a lure like this is it more of a suction of them opening their mouth that's hard to feel?
>>
Has anyone ever dealth with crazy leftist animal activists?
>>
>>2233336
No
>>
>>2233336
you have brain damage
>>
>>2233336
I was fishing for sheepshead one day and a group of people showed up. They were just hanging out when a manatee swam by to be admired by myself and the people. Then one of people said "we should ban all boating for certain times of the year to support these majestic creatures." To which one of the group members responded : "You're an idiot, that will never happen, it's a bad idea. I bet you're the kind of person who's more concerned with keeping whales alive then saving children. Kill the baby save a whale." And then they all started yelling at each other so I left. Caught some fat sheepies tho and lost even more. All in all 9/10 sheepie attempt.
>>
redpill me on switch rods
are they just downsized spey rods for trout?
>>
File: 20211015_152655.jpg (1.82 MB, 3264x2448)
1.82 MB
1.82 MB JPG
Balanced egg sucking leeches anyone?
>>2233366
A switch rod is fucky, it's the fly fishing equivalent of a bastard sword or hand and a half. For trout spey there's a variant of a switch rod called a micro spey which are 3 and 4 weight switch rods (about equivalent to a 5 or 6 weight single hander, respectively)
A spey rod is usually 12-15 feet long, and single hand rods seldom exceed 10 feet. A switch rod, as the name implies, splits the difference and is usually 10-12 feet long, and is usually more effective with shorter Skagit lines due to the shorter length. They usually favour two handed casting but can be used for single hand casting due to their shorter length. Echo makes a rod that I would consider a switch rod that favours the other way around. I think its called the ohs for one handed spey? Either way it's 10 feet long and has interchangeable fighting butts to switch between single hand and two hand casting.
This is probably not the best explanation but I'm phone posting on lunch break so it'll have to do for now
>>
why does no one mention how great this lure is? also why does no one ever mention that you can avoid all backlashing by canting your meme caster when casting?
>>
>>2233410
Don't use memecasters, don't get backlashes.
>>
fly fishing is stupid, there, i said it
>>
>>2230795
>>2230827
anyone know if you can catch squid in Scandiland?
>>
File: amzmyifohlu11.jpg (1.85 MB, 4160x3120)
1.85 MB
1.85 MB JPG
>>
>>2233258
Pike
https://youtu.be/1mf1hZTmrK8
>>
>>2233336
genuinely never
>>
>>2233479
around the swedish west coast and in denmark and norway you can probably catch squid.
If you're on the swedish east coast your chances are probably pretty low
>>
>>2233409
I see, I've been interested in a spey rod but there's literally no salmon fishing where I live so I got curious about getting a 4wt switch rod for trout/sea trout but i guess just getting a 7wt one hander is the way to go?
>>
>>2233336
Yea but it had nothing to do with fishing, back in the day when I went to Roskilde music festival me and some buddies would always have a little game, run out, find the biggest, meatiest most grotesque burger/food, meet back in front of the vegan activist booth and eat it as slow as possible, first to get them angry wins
Now that behavior would probably get you arrested for hurting their feelings
>>
File: _depps.png (88 KB, 924x592)
88 KB
88 KB PNG
Give me the rundown on swimbaits. There are some kettle ponds that are deep and cold, the water is gin clear and they have both herring runs and stocked rainbows for forage. I don't want to get a whole new setup for fishing swimbaits so I can't go over about an ounce, should I spring for nice swimbaits? I could get a few Sebile Magic Swimmers instead but fishing heavy line I don't expect to worry about breaking one off. Do I need to use flouro for this very clear water?
>>
>>2233297
Tenkara is a fucking meme. Get a fly rod.
>>
>>2233410
>>2233412
Or just get good and stop being dumb. If stupid fucking rednecks can use a baitcaster, and some of which can use it with the spool tension loose and no brakes, guess who's a bigger idiot.
>>
sdbros, how's the bonito situation?
hitting up HI all this week to see if I can nab at least one this season
>>
>>2233516
Swimbaiting for big bass is the patrician's way of catching big bass. It's really fucking fun, even when you aren't catching bass (don't expect your catch rate to go up, you'll be quickly discouraged) but the quality of bass you'll get will go up.
>can't use anything over 1 Oz
Technically you aren't swimbaiting then, but one solid lure that is around that weight is the Deps Tiny Bullshooter. The Deps 115 is better suited towards catching brown trout, you'll catch plenty of dink bass on it though. But even then, it doesn't cost much to get into swimbaiting, you don't need to go crazy and get the overhyped piece of shit baits like UFO, Pizz, or Illude to catch a bass. There's plenty of companies that churn out 10/10 swimbaits for inexpensive prices, like the Jackall Gantarel Jr. and the Jackall Gantia.
>>
>>2232152
I put them all in S-tier because I'm not a boomer and I love to catch all fish
>>
>>2233532
you're as happy catching a bluegill as you are catching a bass or trout?
>>
>>2233530
Thank you. My rod is rated up to 1.5 (dobyns 764) but it's pushing it a little, I have no idea how much resistance these swimbaits (glidebaits?) have in the water.
>>
>>2233534
Yeah, I have a blast catching chunky bluegill on my 4wt just as much as I enjoy catching 4lb bass on my 6wt
>>
>>2233552
Just to add, I also accidentally catch pretty good size bass on my 4wt when targeting bluegill and it's very overwhelming
>>
>>2233552
>>2233553
well awesome then dude glad you're enjoying every catch. I don't hate catching bluegill I just never target them so catching them instead of the fish I want is less than ideal. I will say if nothing is biting I'll go to the edge of the bank and catch a blugill just to raise my spirits
>>
>>2233521
>. If stupid fucking rednecks can use a baitcaster
They only fish bass with bigass heavy lures.
>>
>>2233571
I live in NE Ohio so I don't have too many choices for fly fishing during the summer besides panfish, bass, carp, creek chubs, and the occasional catfish. If I travel a few hours into PA I can catch trout in streams, but I don't do that very often. We have steelhead so that's what I'm mostly focusing on rn
>>
>>2233580
That would be more prone to backlashing than lighter shit?
>>
>>2233594
No not really, with heavy lures you can tighten the breaks and still get some distance, literally no chance of backlashes.
>>
>>2233580
I can cast down to 7 gram lures just fine with my baitcasters, maybe don't throw BFS shit on a shitty Black Max abu.
>>
File: 20210624_181809.jpg (1.71 MB, 3264x2448)
1.71 MB
1.71 MB JPG
>>2233497
I assume you've fished for both and decided swinging is how you like to fish. If so, get a 5wt switch rod and send it. If you like to nymph and dry fly fish as much or more than swinging, you'll be much happier with a single handed 6 or 7 weight. If spey stuff interests you, but you've never tried it, get something called a commando head from opst and you can do single hand spey with a normal fly rod.
>>2233534
>>2233552
Dinks on light fly tackle is goat
>>2233591
I'm so hyped to swing for steelhead, that cold rain this weekend should've gotten them in the rivers.
>>
>>2233591
I'm also in NE ohio but I don't fly fish. I also fish the Alleghany rive in Pa in the spring. I've been killing it with jigs and a maggot so far for steelhead but it's died off in the last week or two it seems
>>
>>2233618
they've been in the rivers from Willoughby to Ashtabula for a few weeks now but you're right this coming days after the rain should be prime time
>>
Fug, I told myself to go ice fishing at a remote lake in Wyoming this winter. It will be a 10 mile hike and I will probably die and Im going to do it anyways.
>>
>>2233629
Roads are closed in Wyoming in the winter, so good luck it will be a lot more than 10 miles. The snow that piles up on those mountains fill all of the reserviors so california can grow something gay and Nebraska to grow corn.
>>
>>2233629
>hiking through 10 feet of alpine snow with regular 60 mph winds
kek I hope you are from Colorado.
>>
Has anyone ever eaten a bass? What they taste like?
>>
>>2233651
Like your mom but less fishy.
>>
>>2228476
Lol their isn’t one. Head to pyramid lake and fish some bass
>>
>>2233629
Hope you have a snowmobile a shovel and an auger longer than 4 feet. Wyoming is the arctic in the winter, may as well go Alaska and fish Prudhoe Bay in the winter, someone might actually rescue you there.
>>
>>2233635
Me too these retards kill so many of us with their shitty driving, Im glad when the nature in my state kills them.
>>
Yellowstone National Park woulf be a lot more entertaining if Wyoming banned controlling the Wolf population.
>>
>>2228476
Throw a gulp sandworm literally anywhere in a trough or hole and catch fish
>>
>>2233651
>be teenage me
>recently leaned to fish
>decide to try cooking fish for the first time with friends
>catch 2lb largemouth bass out of pond
>throw live bass into bucket full of pond water
>spaz friend wants to kill fish with red rider bb gun
>wut no that wont kill it
>ten bbs later fish still alive and mortally wounded
>ff 1hr
>back at campsite, campfire made, fish still alive
>have hatchet now so can properly kill fish
>decapitate fish with a mere half dozen sloppy hatchet blows
>clean fish by firelight without removing bones or scales
>wrap in tinfoil without seasoning and throw onto fire
>finally done cooking
>meat taste like bland gamey pond water
why is bass meat so trash?
>>
>>2233663
>wolves
>smell your scent
>stay the hell away from you
>if they don't see you until the last second, they high tail it and run away when they finally do
>even give off warning calls to their pack to stay away
Wolves aren't a big deal at all.

Now mountain lions on the other hand....
>>
>>2233690
Wolves aren't on the verge of extinction in Alaska or Yukon, there are less than 100 in Yellowstone and they are constantly hunted down and killed to control their population, they are smart to stay away. Same as how you can see wild life all year until hunting season and they become scarce. They know their refuges.
>>
>>2233694
kinda pisses me off tbqh, if anything we need to control these damn cougars who are now starting to come into cities and shit, you guys see that mom who had to punch one in the face because a cougar attacked her kid, with it's jaws around the poor kid's head? Fucking hell.
>>
>>2233698
Cats are loners though, and it's a Californian problem. Rooting for the cats.
>>
>>2233701
This, dumb yuppie califormmies build giant houses in the mountains and are shocked that wildlife lives there.
>>
>>2233701
>>2233704
Fair points, but however they're being spotted in other places across America, and not in the mountain houses either.
>>
>>2233651
I like the taste of perch,just a little salt and pepper, maybe lemon, I just gut them and put them on a stick over a fire, the skin can actually get quite crispy
>>
>>2233651
>Has anyone ever eaten a bass?
Yes
>What they taste like?
Like fish
>>
File: 20211018_091135-1.jpg (438 KB, 1080x1080)
438 KB
438 KB JPG
>>2230955
Wala
>>
>>2233336
I haven't but watching videos of it is a guilty pleasure of mine.
>>
>>2233521
> stupid fucking rednecks
you mean people who have a trade skill and know how stuff works? who's the dumber person?... that redneck, or some liberal who "knows lots of shit he read online" but never actually attempted to apply/test it in the real world? someone with a trade skill is arguably more inclined to be able to understand the engineering behind something before some political degree desk cuck can.
>>
File: BVLL.jpg (134 KB, 1823x504)
134 KB
134 KB JPG
>>2233516
Mike Bucca's Baby Bull Shad is 3/4oz and comes in Rainbow Trout. I have one and it swims very smoothly with not much resistance. I've not caught anything on it, but I haven't really been somewhere to use it, only tested it in the water to see how it swam.
>>
I'm looking for a decent spincast reel.
I've had the same Shakespeare pushbutton reel for 15 years and it still works flawlessly with minimal maintenance.
Earlier this year I got a daiwa underspin and it broke after a few outings.
Looking at reviews for newer spincast reels from major companies they all seem like garbage.
>>
File: 78213.jpg (85 KB, 720x960)
85 KB
85 KB JPG
Not a great pic but heres a steelhead I caught recently
>>
>>2233968
they are, unless you get some retardedly expensive top-tier Zebco. I have seen from reviews that the Pflueger seems to be the only decently rated budget option, but I have no experience personally. You can buy lots of old Zebcos on eBay though.
>>
>>2233968
why? if you bought an underspin before... why not just get a spinning reel? even $30 spinning reels are great and shit on any spincast.
>>
>>2233698
>>2233701
>>2233704
>>2233852
There SHOULD be big cats and wolves/coyotes everywhere. Humans fucked up the ecosystem by killing them off in large numbers even in the Americas. Look at Western Europe... they have NO predators left, and not even much large prey animals like deer and pigs. Western Europe used to have pigs as the most abundant game, once they killed them all, famines and shit started with the cuck relying on agriculture fully to survive.
>>
>>2233974
I've come to the conclusion that underspins are useless but pushbutton reels are the only kind that work on fly rods so usually keep one as a backup. Spinning reels need the bottom guide to be larger on the rod, bait casters need a handle underneath the rod seat, but pushbuttons you can slap onto pretty much any rod.
>>
File: 20211018_185914.jpg (980 KB, 1887x1816)
980 KB
980 KB JPG
Post boxes

Rate boxes
>>
>>2234025
You boat fish? I have an old school box like that but it doesn't actually come fishing with me due to the impracticality.
>>
File: IMG_20211018_124512.jpg (3.98 MB, 3000x4000)
3.98 MB
3.98 MB JPG
I thought my topwater season was over but I found a little bay full of dink pickerel and bass. Any suggestions for a replacement for these gunfish 75 when my supply runs out? People are asking an arm and a leg from them on ebay.
>>
>>2233988
you can put a spinning reel on a casting rod and vice versa if it's a small spinning rod like a 1000 series because it doesn't stick out far like 2000+ size reels. a shimano sienna fg 500 is TINY as hell and the 1000 is even damn small.
>>
>>2234034
*small spinning reel i mean
>>
How to catch brookies in small NE streams? I spent the weekend throwing spinners into a backcountry Pennsylvania stream only to get skunked. Not so much as a bite.
>>
>>2234042
Use a small hook with maggots meal worms or wax worms. Trout like salmon eggs too but I think Brookes like the live stuff better I use regular worms with some success too. you can try a small feathered jig too tipped with the above live bait as well
>>
>>2234034
Spine of the casting rod is made to bend with the rings up..
>>
>>2234057
correct, but not a fly rod like he's intending to use. either way... I've seen countless boomers fishing with the wrong combo and they catch fish without breaking rods. 9/10 times it's a spinning rod with a zebco spincast reel though.
>>
>>2233701
>it's a Californian problem

rent free
>>
>>2234029
Canoe, but yea
I have other flat boxes and if I'm foot I jus take like one of those small 8x8 boxes with the devices removed, fits in my pocket
>>
>>2234124
Deviders*
>>
File: 875.jpg (288 KB, 1887x1251)
288 KB
288 KB JPG
>>
>>2234129
Might be the biggest yt I've seen in a photo
>>
>>2233623
Yeah no I had a buddy nab one on the first day I October but as best as I can tell it's just been stragglers. I'm trying to convince my buddy to play hookey on Wednesday so I can get him fly fishing in the grand.
>>2233971
Nice fish
>>2233988
>>2234034
Second for 1000-1500 size spinning reel on a fly rod, the impact on casting distance by using a spinning reel is less than the inherent drag from a spin cast reel funneling through the front cover
>>2234057
>implying spine is that important
It is important but the detriment to casting against the spine is not big enough for 90% of anglers to even notice, much less impact casting distance and accuracy.
>>
>>2234153
>much less impact casting distance and accuracy.
Kinda does though, there's a reason why I can cast way more accurately with the rods I own that have the 'carbon spiral' technology, like Shimano's Spiral-X tech (Megabass and others do the same shit, Spiral-X is just a patent on the degree of the angle the tape is laid on the rod). Mitigates rod twisting and makes the blank load up super predictable.
>90% of anglers won't notice
This is very true though.
>>
>>2228937
At least it'll catch something then
>>
>>2234176
I'm not saying it doesn't affect those things, I'm saying that 90% of anglers aren't good enough at casting to notice the difference/for the difference to matter. Even then most of the people who freak out about it are the kind of people who don't understand that you can't but skill. "I can't cast this rod for shit, the spine must be off"
>>
I think I enjoy 3000 sized reels as my general purpose reels.
>>
>>2234241
2500, like between a UL and a M, those are super nice with 10lb braid
>>
>>2234242
I think 20lb is the lowest I've tried. 10 sounds like a wind knot nightmare
>>
>>2234241
A 2500 and a 7' rod rating up to about 5/8 is a great generalist setup.
>>
File: c59kb0.jpg (551 KB, 2048x1536)
551 KB
551 KB JPG
>>2234246
My Ned Rigs/other finesse shit rod has 10lb J-Braid on it and hasn't given me a bit of problem. My UL has 8lb and I had one bad day with it but I think a lot of it was user error.
>>
>>2234255
That'd be my set up if I could only have one spinning combo with #20 braid.
>>
File: Wondercast.jpg (320 KB, 1600x1200)
320 KB
320 KB JPG
>>2233968
If you're willing to gamble on an antique, Shakespeare used to make some really nice spincasters, but you will be buying a ~40+ year old reel. "Wondercast" is one of their old models.

I have one similar to this on an old True Temper rod, it works fine now, but I had to basically rebuild the reel due to the grease having dried out.
>>
>>2234062
Ahh, wait til you encounter the infamous "inverted spinning reel on a cheap casting rod".
>>
File: IMG_20210909_131718.jpg (729 KB, 1280x720)
729 KB
729 KB JPG
>>2234287
I love old reels, they can be so cheap and yet the quality is so far beyond what modern reels of the same price offer, all they ask is for you to sit down and take them apart, give every part a nice clean and relubricate with some quality silicone grease (or motor oil if it has ball bearings)

Last reel I picked up and served was a DIAWA SL20SH, next up is going to be a JW.YOUNGS Beaudex, looking forward to that one
>>
Fished under a low-head dam today, after the whitewater it's packed with smallies and crappies but there are some huge carp which I've snagged by accident as well. Can I target these carp drifting meal worms under a float or something? General tips for targeting carp in fast water?
>>
File: 20211018_170337.jpg (1.1 MB, 1925x2572)
1.1 MB
1.1 MB JPG
nice river pike i caught in a tailout with a pink cleo. was hoping it was a steelie.

>>2229672
ooh, i like that
>>2233409
>>2228949
are those for me?
>>
File: IMG_1149.jpg (28 KB, 182x593)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>>2234241
>>2234242
>>2234255
I always go back to lighter action rods after using my medium heavy and medium for awhile. something about a nice medium light with a 2000 reel just does it for me as my bass or "bigger fish" rod. otherwise I use my crappie rod and 1000 reel the most. I just love casting my crappie rod one handed all day long with just the flick of the wrist. it handles 3lb bass just fine. just way more species to target with a light action rod in most places, and I personally like using insect style lures or small crankbaits/jigs/spinners.
>>
>>2234297
>ooh, i like that
I'll sneak a pair in to your order
>>2234297
>are those for me
The balanced leech is, the other ones are actually an old pic; I tied those for my cousin
>>
>>2229336

fellow east bay anon

what's your go to tackle shop? I like Hi's but Bay Tackle is pretty good as well
>>
File: cb1jso.jpg (498 KB, 1536x2048)
498 KB
498 KB JPG
>>2234374
I assume you meant to quote this guy >>2229321
Otherwise, you couldn't be more wrong. That's at a pond in West Virginia. It used to be an old prep plant impoundment. There are a handful of decent up to 6lb largemouth in there, but I only ever get dinks out of it. It has a bunch of big carp too, but I've never brought the stuff to target them.
>>
>#411: Spoopy!

>>2234389
>>2234389
>>2234389
>>2234389
>>
>>2233651
Smallmouth is actually on of my favourites. White, flaky, not to strong. Its a decent all rounder
>>
File: 20211014_151911.jpg (2.93 MB, 2560x1440)
2.93 MB
2.93 MB JPG
>>2234297
Thats a baby.
I hope you threw it back you child molester.
>>
>>2234500
looks like someone beat the shit out of that fish

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.