[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

what does /out/ carry for river/stream crossings innawoods? Thinking of getting a pair of rubber boots or something.
>>
>>2217190
Keep the muzzle and action up out of the water when you cross, if you are able to. Otherwise drain it out afterwards and use the forward-assist.
Ideally you would have atleast three people so when you cross one can check either end of the river for a threat; streams and riverbeds are common locations of ambushes as the wide open and slowing nature of water means getting stuck is easy.
Unless they are thigh high rubber boots for knee high water, OP you are going to need to suck it up and change clothes on the other side- you brought a wet bag with a spare set right ?
>>
>>2227758
bugspray
>>
>>2227758
A towel.
>>
>>2227758
That's literally what watershoes are made for anon, get some crocs or cheap walmart knockoffs
This didn't need it's own thread use the qtddtot next time
>>
>>2227758
I take my fucking shoes off like a normal person. and wade across.
>>
File: 1616405553002.jpg (214 KB, 862x485)
214 KB
214 KB JPG
>>2227758
Australia here
Li'l trick we use here is just walking across the bottom.
Worked perfectly every time for me so far.
Dunno how it'd go overseas though.
>>
>>2227758
If not a poorfag, water proof snake boots are the only way to go. Good protection, comfortable, waterproof. But beware, if you buy fabric they will always leak after a couple months of use. BUY RUBBER or mainly rubber. A good pair will set you back $200.
>>
>>2228556
Only sensible person left on this board right there.
>>
File: 20210615_124426.jpg (2.48 MB, 4032x1816)
2.48 MB
2.48 MB JPG
Highly depends on season and size of stream, unironically just getting naked and putting your things in a drybag, with a good walking stick is ussually the best option for anything larger then you can jump
Imo rubber boots are actually more for mud
Also, unless you really really really know the place, never cross any body of water with white foam
>>
>>2228556
You should at least use something like flip flops otherwise you could cut open you foot on a sharp rock.
>>
>>2227913
This, and a pair of dry socks
>>
>>2229200
>never cross any body of water with white foam
why
>>
>>2228570
bro wtf you stole this trick from california
fuckin aussie thieves
>>
File: PA101720.jpg (4.41 MB, 2500x1875)
4.41 MB
4.41 MB JPG
>>2227758
I wore my old trailrunners (non waterproof) with quick drying socks while hiking through a portion of the CDT that ran through the Gila. Probably 30 crossings over 12 miles. No issues, but to be fair it was 60 degrees.

If it's cold enough where being wet will bother you after crossing you probably shouldn't do this though.
>>
>>2227758
Depends. I am actually developing my own product to cross, but durability is an issue.

I have to do this a lot here in Japan because there can be a shitton of stream crosses in backcountry where the mountains are too steep so you have to follow narrow rivers

Here are my thoughts:

>Summer:
Just go sandals. Sandals and thin socks too seeing as sand will rape your feet if it goes to long. I bring sandals as my camp shoe anyway, so its easy to switch in to them.

>shoulder seasons
This is the hard part. I wanted to buy the polish nuclear waders that were ex soviet stock, but they sold out long ago. A lot of people are making home made waders. The key here is you want something light, and you do not need whole wading pants. So I am working on some goretex waterproof stockings (more like bags), with 2 seams, seam sealed. Thinking about glueing some rubber to the bottom as well to improve durability. You slip them on over your shoes at a stream and take em off once across. Other than that sandals and toughing out the cold.

>Winter
My mountaineering boots are completely waterproof and the water level tend to be so low I can just minimally hop across rocks. Hiking poles are a must. Would consider using my shoulder season homemade waders though.
>>
>>2231675
overpriced, heavy, still requires taking shoes on and off if in hiking boots.

aka, useless. There is no real backpacking solutions available. Go online, you can see many people have this same issue, and end up making their own. There are a few solutions, but they tend to be 100+ bucks.
>>
>>2231676
>100+ bucks
and shoddily made and good for only a few uses.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.