[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 40 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Happy 18th Birthday, 4chan!

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 20211009_132634.jpg (1.98 MB, 2693x923)
1.98 MB
1.98 MB JPG
>car camping thread
>>
Yeah I work overtime at macdonalts so my car camping game can be on point
>>
>>2227655
just pack a tent.
>>
>>2227670
All I have is a 3 person that'll freeze my balls off solo
Not about to drop hundos on a 1 person when I can just be safe from the elements and animals and always have transportation at the ready
>>
>>2227655
how far into the woods do you drive? i bet it's shit camping
>>
>>2227754
Most of the state parks in my area have dirt roads that take you pretty deep in. I'll set up my site and either hike around or chill reading in my hammock.
>shit camping
I'm a n00b working their way up.
>>
File: CRW_0187.jpg (1.82 MB, 2048x1360)
1.82 MB
1.82 MB JPG
>>2227655
Good way to road trip. I went down the Pacific coast stopping at random campgrounds along the way.
>>
File: jeepn.jpg (486 KB, 1024x768)
486 KB
486 KB JPG
>>2227759
this.
I've driven from Alberta to Ottawa staying at campgrounds during the nights. Literally the best way to roadtrip.
>>
File: IMG_20211009_231416.jpg (1.91 MB, 2736x2736)
1.91 MB
1.91 MB JPG
>>2227655
right now
>>
>>2227751
>All I have is a 3 person that'll freeze my balls off solo
bring more layers. you have a car
>>
>>2227751
walmart sells a 1-person for less than 30 bucks
>>
File: 1630441794628.jpg (21 KB, 385x375)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>2227789
he fell for the overland meme
>>
>>2227789
That looks comf af my guy
Wish I could afford, good shit stay comf
>>
File: 20211009_205331.jpg (1.89 MB, 2419x1360)
1.89 MB
1.89 MB JPG
Yeah...i fell for it.
>>
>>2227751
>>2228040
Tents are not meant to keep you warm, theyre meant to keep out wind, rain, snow and bugs. If a tent is trapping heat, its trapping moisture from your breath, and will make everything inside wet by morning.

Keep your tent and buy a better sleeping bag
>>
>>2228057
Damn that looks like a great setup anon.
- How long does it take to charge the powerpack (what pannels)
- Hows the tent setup for warmth?
- Any tips to us wanting to get to your levels?
>>
>>2228046
i saw a video of like 10-12 guys with their $80k overlanding builds and they spent half the video driving down what was essentially a dirt road. then they walked around and took turns showing off their kitchen setup out the back of their truck. then they sat around and talked about their plans and how well they would do if civilization collapsed.
it's like they're preparing for some scenario that is both so unsafe that their only hopes of survival is to hide inna woods but that they'll also be able to return home once everything blows over
>diesel truck
>propane stove
>truck 100% filled with glamping gear that won't survive everyday use
>no room for even a month's supply of food
they're such a fucking meme
>>
File: 2021-06-27 20.39.03.jpg (1.74 MB, 2064x1548)
1.74 MB
1.74 MB JPG
>>2227655
Nice, Regal? It's a 4door right? Why not just find a way to sleep in the car and use it as shelter? Can you fold the rear seats to access the trunk? Also what kind of engine does that have in it? What's it like on the highway?
>>2227766
>Alberta to Ottawa
Nice trip eh? I did the same on my Suzuki, except Ottawa to Red Deer, AB, and no campgrounds or motels, just bush. I think I'd take a bivy and tarp over a tent next time.Then just chose my locations better.
As long as it isn't raining it's a decent good trip. Makes me doubt I'll ever buy a plane ticket to go somewhere on the same continent.
What was your least favorite part of the trip? Most favorite? Crazy how sparse gas stations can get eh?
>>2227789
How hard is it to install one of those? I think if I got a car I'd put one on.
>>2228057
Looks sweet. I like how the entrance is like a tree fort.
>>
File: chevrolet_malibu_46.jpg (3.49 MB, 3000x2100)
3.49 MB
3.49 MB JPG
>>2227655
Also, I hope I can get pic rel and go car camping with it soon.
Mmmh V8, RWD, 110 highways, IMAGINE.
Do you guys carry extra fuel with you?
>>
>>2228268
>it's like they're preparing for some scenario that is both so unsafe that their only hopes of survival is to hide inna woods but that they'll also be able to return home once everything blows over
Well sure, prepping is fun, prepping with your buddies and showing off your cool trucks with each-other is even more fun.
A lot of hobbies are just excuses to get away and hang out with buddies and have a good time.
>>
>>2228285
i have no problem with that. it's the sitting around in folding chairs, drinking beers talking about how good their rig will be when it all goes down
>>
>>2228268
>>2228285
If civilization collapses, they have maybe a years worth of petroleum for their machines. Look at supply chain shortages now. Maybe a years worth of repair parts. If larping is your hobby, cool. But let's not pretend the global supply chain that makes the modern world possible is going to survive the apocalypse. Half of these larpers are on medication that won't be available is society collapses.
>>
>>2228288
>it's the sitting around in folding chairs, drinking beers talking about how good their rig will be when it all goes down
That's part of the fun.
>>2228296
>If larping is your hobby, cool. But let's not pretend
hmm
>>
>>2228296
>Half of these larpers are on medication that won't be available is society collapses.
there was a thread/trend on twitter about "when would i have died if i was born in the middle ages." lots of replies like "i would have died when i was 22 because i had appendicitis." personally, i would've died when i was 8 to meningitis. maybe again when i was 23 and needed 2 weeks of IV antibiotics for an infection in my leg
>>2228302 is right larping can be fun but at the same time it can be super annoying
>>
>>2228277
>Nice trip eh?
Hell, yes. Done it maybe 13 or 14 times, now. I wouldn't want to do it in the winter, though.
>What was your least favorite part of the trip? Most favorite? Crazy how sparse gas stations can get eh?
Least favourite was a bug experience in Northern Ontario. I took the northern route through Hearst a few times, and stopping for camping you could hear the bugs swarming outside of the car, hitting the glass trying to get in. Sounded like rain. Setting up the tent in a face net, then climbing inside and spending 5 minutes killing all the ones that followed you in. Anyway, I must have missed one when I went to sleep, because when I woke up my left eye was swollen shut. Either a mosquito or blackfly bit me right on the outside of my eyelid and the whole thing swole up so much I couldn't open it. Had to drive one-eyed for most of the day.
Most favourite was the land around Wawa, because it's most similar to Alberta, or the lake country around Kenora. It felt like you needed a boat to see it for real, though.

How about you, Anon?
Doing it on your 'Zuk must have been windy and cold as fuck sometimes. That stretch between Calgary and RedDeer is notoriously windy and dangerous in the winter. I did the drive to Edmonton from Calgary one January and counted 98 cars in the ditch.
>>
File: car.jpg (1.03 MB, 2560x1173)
1.03 MB
1.03 MB JPG
slept in this rental for 8 days last year.
>>
I’ve lived out of my car for a few months. Just went west without much of a plan and did the car thing until I got a job and apartment. It was a mix of parking lots, national forest and BLM land, and random trailheads and campgrounds. The most important things I learned were to stay clean, stay organized, and don’t spend too much time in the car. I wouldn’t want to do it again for more than a couple weeks unless I had a proper van or camper setup.
>>
>>2228114
>Tents are not meant to keep you warm
This
>>
>>2228177
I have a jackory 1000, its max charge rate is ~200watts (ac charger is 189). So full charge takes ~5 hrs (1000/200)....which is really hard to do with solar. I have a fridge also so I was trying to do a full electrical setup. I like these ones a little better but honestly solar is solar.
>https://www.amazon.com/Rockpals-Foldable-Charger-Portable-Generator/dp/B07FH85FW9

I just bring a bunch of blankets since its car camping, but I also have an electric blanket if I want. Some people get the annex for their tent and put like a mr heater down there so the heat rises.
>>
>>2228046
do you see any overlanding in that picture? i shure dont. overlanding isnt a meme its the most /out/ acticity you can do, too bad you and every other normie mix it up with simple car camping. i never claimed to be overlanding i literally posted in a car camping thread.
>>2228277
bolts straight to any regular roof rack, you need help to lift it on or you make a simple rope and pulley system to hoist it in place by yourself.
>>
>>2228114
This. I've car camped without a tent and at least in Virginia you still need multiple/thick sleeping bags.
>>
File: sue - Copy.jpg (395 KB, 1280x637)
395 KB
395 KB JPG
went ~1100 miles through sweden this august after beeing a fat fuck and doing nothing during holidays. Pretty impressed with the shit my Skoda Rapid mastered. Spot on the pic was on a Hilltop at the end of a 6 mile dirtroad, I guess thats why it wasn't occupied by some dutch or german boomers RV.
It is a lot colder than a tent though, had to sleep with merino long johns, my summer sleepingbag and another woolsheet to stay warm.
I might get a Carinthia Defence 4 for the next time. Also as much as I loved sleeping in the car, its a pain in the ass to set up everything each evening in a small car like mine, I think a decent rooftent would be nice next time.
>>
>>2228057
Based taco OR poster.

RTT's are only sins if you don't use them. Go /out/ in peace.
>>
i was driving back from /out/ the other day with no shirt and no pants on and it was hot and i was kinda distracted in the highway and i noticed a cricket jumping around from the passengers seat, when he got to my window i opened it and tried to grab him or push him outside and i almost crash into someone when i got off my lane without noticing, 2 cars started honking
>>
>>2228285
>Well sure, prepping is fun, prepping with your buddies and showing off your cool trucks with each-other is even more fun.
>A lot of hobbies are just excuses to get away and hang out with buddies and have a good time.
I... I should text my buddies.
>>
File: 2021-06-26 20.04.17.jpg (1.4 MB, 2064x1548)
1.4 MB
1.4 MB JPG
>>2228377
Kek, you're experience sounds a helluva lot like mine.
I stupidly set up camp beside a river in Ontario (was desperate because it was raining and getting dark). There were so many mayfly's and mosquitoes. Also had to setup with the mosquito headnet. The mayfly's were dying and shitting on everything. Green goo everywhere, all over the tent bike.
At least my eye didn't get fucked by one though, that sounds hellish.
>land around Wawa
I was not expecting that crazy area. I flew into Ontario when I moved there, so I had no idea how pretty Ontario was in that area. Also insane is how the big rigs fly through some of those turns.
>How about you, Anon?
8C mornings at 110kph freezing my nuts off, then 41C across Saskatchewan, sweating them off kek.
>That stretch between Calgary and RedDeer is notoriously windy and dangerous
Oh shit, so it wasn't a coincidence then that I was getting blown all over that part. I think it was just before Calgary actually that I had a storm to my north east (tons of lightning) and was getting the insane sidewinds almost getting blown off the highway at 3am.

I would say the worst part was the area west of the Ontario border, going into Winnipeg to just past Winnipeg. Something about that area makes me feel weirdly ill. I took the The Perimeter Highway, but I would go even further and head dead south to avoid that area next time.
Best was Wawa area, Algonquin (was so pretty with a fine mist among the tall trees), or those crazy rolling hills and valleys in that first part of East Alberta.
>>
File: 3546534.jpg (168 KB, 1920x792)
168 KB
168 KB JPG
>>2228394
Did you sleep horizontally in the rear part of the cab?
>>2228412
How'd you wash up? Gyms? YMCA?
>>2228485
Is that wagon or hatchback? Car camping in a wagon would be nice I think.

Do you guys get personal connections with your vehicles? And do you crack a window a little while you sleep at night? I heard it's important to have some ventilation.
>>
File: 20211008_105354.jpg (2.03 MB, 3264x1836)
2.03 MB
2.03 MB JPG
>>2228277
Verano, I put the back seats down and stick my feet into the trunk.
>>
>>2228534
Kind of a bastard child between both, Skoda calls it a Spaceback.
With the front seat up to the dashboard it worked just fine for me (about 6 feet tall).
I have the wind deflectors on the rear windows for ventilation and opened those a crack for the night but it didnt make much of a difference, still a shit ton of condensation behind the curtains.
>>
>>2228534
Gyms, coin operated showers (mainly at laundromats, truck stops (can be relatively pricey tho), occasionally creeks, and sometimes just pouring jugs of water over myself. Baby wipes work in a pinch if you’re feeling lazy or in a hurry.
>>
>>2228534
yes, in the rear. enough room to sorta stretch out. had all my stuff in totes in the rear with a cooler.
>>
>>
>>2228283
depends on the HW mileage
my 83 legit gets 25-30 so no, since I can go at least 500 miles on a tank
>>
I’ve been travelling the outback/red centre intermittently for almost 10 years now and I’ve slept in everything from a Nissan 370Z to a 7-metre-long classic F150.

Right now I have this Nissan Patrol. No work at the moment because chemotherapy, so I’m travelling for ~2 weeks at a time and then spending my spare time tweaking my setup when I’m back in the city.

I travel super light because I’m a minimalist fuckwit, I hate shit rattling/rolling around in the back and fuel economy from carrying extra weight adds up when you’re often driving 1,000kms+ per day. For example, I’ve found that a fridge or esky is unnecessary because I’m fine with eating only dry/canned food and I can keep drinks acceptably cool by storing them in the passengers footwell under the air conditioning vent.
>>
>>2231140
Cont. The drawer on the left contains tools and parts. I have everything I need for puncture repair, minor mechanical repairs and roadside servicing. So far I’ve only had to replace a fuel filter, disable a TPswitch and clean the MAF sensor on the side of the road (in ~30,000kms). Oil and coolant is in the wings either side of the drawers.

Drawer on the right contains a Jetboil, spare Jetboil fuel and lots of noodles. It usually also has a bunch of freeze dried hiker meals, muesli bars and lollies - but I just got back from a trip. The supply I normally have would last close to a month if I spread it thin.

On top is a self inflating mattress which I just bought. Before I’ve used foam mattresses, swags/pup tents and I’ve slept in the drivers’ seat a lot. The lower half is supported by a folded-down 2nd row seat. I carry 1 pillow and a mink blanket. I have to sleep with my knees slightly tucked or my feet between the front seats because I’m tall, but it’s fairly comfy.

I removed half of the 2nd row seats so I have some room to sit and take my boots off before getting in to bed.

I carry 32L of water in containers behind the passengers seat.

I mostly hobo-shower with baby wipes and shower intermittently at truck stops.
>>
>>2231140
>>2231142
based. now if only there was a easy way to drive to australia without resorting to containershipping...
>>
>>2231140
>>2231142
inspiring
>>
File: 20210703_141541.jpg (1.9 MB, 3314x1908)
1.9 MB
1.9 MB JPG
>>2228057
>>2231140
You both have some nice set ups. Mine is a good deal less built out than yours. I keep most of my gear and supplies in the back of the cab since it is weather/dust proof and lockable. I've considered building a sleeping platform with drawers before but having the bed free for bringing my kayak and/or bike seemed worth forgoing a bit more sleeping comfort.

On an unrelated note do either of you have any advice for weather sealing the area around the tailgate. Every trail I've taken this summer has left the bed coated in dust and I hate having to cover everything in a tarp everytime I break camp.
>>
>>2231589
It’s important to pressurise whichever area you want to keep dust out of. The air conditioner will do that in the cab. In the bed of your truck you’ll want to open the little window on the back of your shell slightly (against the cab). Seems counter-intuitive but it’ll work, trust me. Air will be sucked in through that little window and stop dust ingress at the back.
>>
File: 20210924_151300.jpg (2.08 MB, 2935x1908)
2.08 MB
2.08 MB JPG
>>2231715
Thanks, I assumed that window was only there for cab access.
>>
>>2227757
Try camping it's really cool
>>
>>2232015
I like these older diesels. Slow but sturdy! Buddy of mine has a obs crew cab long bed 4x4 7.3 and thinks its too long for trails and struggles on washboard roads. Any advice on how to get him out with it? Been thinking fishing with the dirt roads along the lakes and reservoirs. Get a lil fire on the beach and cook some trout. Another reason to use that gigantic 8ft bed. Get a big cooler, some long rods, wood, an axe, gallon jugs of water, and chairs
>>
>>2228057
I didn't know they still made Tacomas in non-earthy tones
>>
>>2233812
Typically the stock heavy duty suspension and 80psi tires ruin the fun of even just driving a fire road. Unfortunately being that its a more heavy duty suspension than you would find on a smaller pickup, suspension work is usually double or triple the price.
>>
File: 1633483672282.jpg (45 KB, 1071x578)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
>>
I’ve only ever car camped but i havent done it at built up established camp sites in a long time. If you just find a random nice spot off a forest road in national forests you can find some great spots where you wont have people around. I should have gotten a more capable off road vehicle as then you can find some even more remote places (and you get the fun of good off roading).
>>
>>2228296
>Half of these larpers are on medication that won't be available is society collapses.
Schizo meds?
>>
>>2228446
Fellow Southwest Virginia anon?
>>
>>2227662
>>2227655
>car camping
>using actual regular cars instead of an SUV, pickup, etc
>>
cringe
>>
What do you guys think about these hitch hammock setups? They run about $250-$500.
>>
>>2238568
>>
>>2238568
I havent slept in a hammock much but i find them fairly uncomfortable, this wood be nice with some kind of awning off the back ot the car to cover it though. I think id rather just set it up to sleep inside the vehicle.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.