[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

The general formerly known as /lcg/ LARP Containment General edition.

This general is an effort to consolidate topics generally considered to be “LARP” on boards including /out/, /an/, /k/, /diy/, /pol/, and others:

Some examples of topics:
-Homesteading
-Microfarming
-Where to buy land
-Prepping
-Natural Disasters
-SHTF
-Self Sufficiency
-“Survival” Skills
-Homelessness
-Running away from home
-Nomad threads

Previous >>2208520
>>
Is the tennessee/southern appalachians the best location for homesteading?
>>
>>2227140
I dunno, probably. I just got 20 acres in Wv in the eastern panhandle and it’s pretty comfy and rugged. First things on the list are have a survey done and the land marked, then remove downed trees with a chainsaw and start the wood pile. Hope is to have a perfectly comfy normie looking house on it in a year or so.
>>
>>2227190
What's your situation for electricity and water?

>inb4 living off grid
Let's be realistic here
>>
>>2227140
Too may people. Look at the population density map, its insane.
I think I'm gonna build my homestead in Maine. Land is cheap, population density is very low and the whole state is covered in snow mobile trails for winter fun
>>
>>2228101
Don’t have it yet but going to get traditional electric and a well, and a rainwater catchment system and solar panels, also have 1000’ of 4 season creek
>>
>>2227140
Tennessee is pretty great except for the fact that you're paying 12% sales tax and other insane rates when buying stuff there and there's a lot of people in your general vicinity. Land is also not all that cheap.
>>
>>2227190
>panhandle
enjoy your DC bedroom community, anon. I was looking up there and holy metric shit does every other person you talk to work in NOVA somewhere along the Winchester-Leesburg-DC corridor.

I'm looking somewhere further south in the state, along the eastern/southeastern edge in the mountains proper (2200-2400ft elevation, some of the places I've looked at have been actual ridgetops if minor ones). Any reason this is a shit idea? Looking grid electric, but well and septic.
>>
>>2229219
Nah I’m far enough from DC that commuting isnt practical thankfully. Population of the nearest town is like 400.
>>
Population density map

For the record I am homesteading in a small rural city in kentucky, lots of amish around so my way of life is 100% normal here and all the locals think its based
>>
i live in the nw section of colorado, just a normal house in a small town for now. the growing season here is rough, we're 3B. should i look for another area to homestead or stay around here and do indoor/greenhousing?
>>
>>2229331
You can homestead literally anywhere if you are smart enough
>>
>>2227137
What are you stockpiling? I want to stockpile food that will last several years but also doesn't require any cooking (so not just rice or frozen meat). What does /out/ recommend? Pic-related is one option, but I want some variety and something that I could also eat normally so when it comes time to replace it I don't have to just throw it out.
>>
>>2229444
Dried fruit, smoked and/or dried meat, maybe seeds if they're vacuum-packed. The hard part is that generally if something is in a form difficult for bacteria to eat, it's probably hard for people to eat too.
>>2229331
https://youtu.be/ZD_3_gsgsnk
Look into earth sheltered greenhouses. google the earth-sheltered solar greenhouse book by mike oehler, extends your season by a huge amount.
>>
>>2229331
bro, youre a B I T CH. I homesteading here in svalbard all by myself
>>
>>2229536
pics of your setup? growing food in hostile environmemts has always been an interest of mine, so I'm curious how you're approaching it. future plans?
>>
>>2227137
Who gave YOU permission to revive MY containment general. The last one had less than 100 replies before it got archived so I gave up.
>>
>>2229536
I'm just asking, pal. calm your tits.
>>
>>2228111
Fuck off were full
>>
>>2228111
Maine is also the #2 most white and least criminal place ins the US.
>>
Pic related are two of my birds, both hens. One is a white laced red cornish from a hatchery, the other is a white cornish from a breeder. The white is 7 months old, the WLR is 19 months. Please take the time to source quality stock.
>>
>>2230257
Thank god my neighbor sold or ate his rooster.
The males make too much sound pollution.
>>
>>2230144
Niggers and spics don't like the cold.
>>
I think once I get a survey done on the land and take care of the downed trees, check for invasive species and whatnot I’m going to get some apple tree saplings from that old guy who brought back a thousand different types of apples.
>>
>>2227140
>>2229273
Where do you find maps like these outside of google images? I'm trying to find high res, US maps of various metrics (tax rates, climate zones, population, voting, race, etc.) to figure out the "optimal" place to start homesteading but it is hard to find disparate maps that are each broken down by US county.
>>
>>2230144
I just want to point out that those two things have NOTHING to do with eachother and you're a racist for suggesting otherwise
>>
>>2231129
Yes, Maine is full of racists. Don't EVER go there.
>>
>>2231137
>Maine is full of racists
omw
>>
File: stalking_tool.png (276 KB, 1689x993)
276 KB
276 KB PNG
>>2230891
Not that guy and this isn't really what you're asking for, but I'm going to recommend installing qgis and looking around on government websites. There's a lot of public records type GIS data that you can build into whatever map you care about, but you do have to dig for it and combine datasets from many sources. "parcel" maps are good if you're looking for land, they will show you the borders of the land and who currently owns it. Also be sure to get an elevation layer so you can tell if it's a swamp. If you have a USB GPS and want to look like a dweeb you can plug it in and walk around with your laptop and it will show you where the borders are.
>>
File: jCoGMR5.jpg (555 KB, 1394x1457)
555 KB
555 KB JPG
How realistic is this?
>>
>>2231129
commie hands wrote this
>>
>>2231174
I would not use human compost, omnivore and carnivore poop is too nasty and can spread E. coli. Once I had to remove some buckets of sewage mixed with leaves and gravel and dumped it in the corner of my property, it stank in a large radius for many days.
>>
>>2230257
man pick up the garbage in there. cmon.
>>
>>2230144
just don't go to lewiston
>>
>>2231129
No, but low minorities numbers do.
>>
>trying to decide what state to settle in
>all the states with good growing seasons and cheap(er) property have some gotcha like shitty taxes or are run by antifa
>states with low population and good government have insane land prices and poor growing seasons
This sucks, all the places I want to live are run by leftoids.
>>
File: 1633785268650.png (95 KB, 1125x836)
95 KB
95 KB PNG
>>2231232
>>>>>>>>> ^
>>
File: 1610776522009.jpg (342 KB, 1416x1062)
342 KB
342 KB JPG
>>2231236
>>
File: 6od6co7z6fg31.jpg (99 KB, 430x766)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
>>
>>2231174
Gonna want those berry patches way the fuck further away from the rest of your garden. Like >>2231187 said don’t compost human waste, it’s not worth the risk. Compost your chicken shit, egg shells, vegetable scraps etc.
>>
>>2229444
Ive got buckets of the standard dried beans, rice and mre’s as most of my bulk. Supplements of some shelf stable luxuries like honey, salt, spices, spam, instant potatoes, peanut butter, pickled vegetables etc. Well stocked in seeds and ammo but it never feels like enough lmao. I’m now trying to collect home goods- basic medical supplies, sewing supplies, solar or hand crank lights etc.

What do you consider “cooking”? Is boiling water too much? You can stock up on things like jerkey, granola bars, dried veg/fruit but they tend to be pretty expensive.
>>
>>2231174
I'm highly skeptical. No measurements make it hard to say for sure, but depending on insolation/climate you really need at least half an acre (21,780 sq ft) to provide the majority of your own nutrition. That also assumes good soil and no crop failures. Feeding any livestock on such a small plot is also nigh impossible, so you'd be buying in feed if you wanted chickens or god forbid cows.
>>2231296
Go read the humanure handbook. Human feces can be safely composted and recycled as long as you're smart about it. You are right that you don't want it directly on crops, but a hot compost pile basically eliminates pathogens. If nothing else, that compost can be safely used on fruit trees and (imho) vining crops like pole beans, peas, or grapes.
>>
>>2229538
Someone's got to keep up the good fight
>>
>>2229536
How dare you! You need to leave!
>>
>>2231158
Lol really do u think we are not the same people on pol and b?
>>
>>2231174
You like asparagus that much? Maybe set aside a place for the "three sisters" corn, string beans, and squash, who are grown together and compliment each other
>>
>>2231701
Well that explains why everyone idolizes youtubers and nobody actually goes outdoors
>>
>>2231174
Look into Joel Salatin’s method of farming chickens, it may give you some ideas. Use a chicken tractor so the chickens are moving often and getting fresh grass/bugs, and their manure is fertilizing the land.
>>
>>2232206
Joel imports a huge amount of grain, and can afford to becaude he charges a premium for his birds. The chicken tractor concept isn't bad per se, but don't try to emulate his stocking density and production levels unless you want to emulate his purchases too.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.