[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_20211007_205254.jpg (508 KB, 1994x1076)
508 KB
508 KB JPG
So this is the sort of water I am working with. I have never been kayaking but it looks perfect for that sort of thing. Am I getting my hopes up? Can any experienced kayakers give me an opinion on inflatable vs solid?
>>
>>2226631
yeah
>>
>>2226631
>buy a kayak
the answer is yes
>>
>>2226631
Buy a sit in
Fish
Enjoy
>>
>>2226631
>most of that is private waterfront homes

The east is so cucked.
>>
>>2226631
Plastic. Inflatables are shit.
>>
>>2226665
>there's a campground across the street from a suburb
You can't make this shit up.
>>
>>2226678
>4MB PNG
>a screenshot
You are a subhuman and the reason why the web is so bloated and slow
>>
Stop posting hidden gems of /out/ regions on the internet retard. Californians will take this image and spread it all around their gay fucking forums and before you know it east TN will be filled with them just like the middle.
>>
>>2226665
>>2226678
To be fair the lake is manmade. Heard of the Tennessee Valley Authority? Flooded it all like 80 years ago or so. So it's not so bad.
>>
>>2226631
Buy a fuckin canoe with ashe gunwales
>>
>>2226682
Reddit might be more your speed.
>>
>>2226631
I have a Nortik Argo, not cheap, but foldable. Comes in a backpack like pouch, so easy to take with you if you want to travel by train.
>>
>>2226631
Yes, kayaking is awesome and from the map your area looks like a prime kayaking location.
I have both fully rigid kayaks and folding kayaks.
No kayak will be best in all circumstances so you have to look at what you want out of it:

For good performance you'll be looking at either fully rigid or folding. Inflatable are slower and not as nice to paddle because they tend to be wider and lack rigidity (modern high quality inflatable seem to have improved a lot in this area but I haven't tried one in a long time).

If the lake has very shallow water with sharp rocks below the surface, avoid folding kayaks as their skin is prone to punctures (beaching them on pebble is not an issue, they aren't that fragile but crashing full speed on a reef is better avoided). Inflatable are more puncture resistant than foldings but probably more difficult to repair (repairing the skin of a folding is very easy, no experience with repairing an inflatable but I assume it's more difficult because the repair must old the air pressure).

If you want to move your kayak over long distances (or lack storage space), fully rigid will be a pain. It's fine to put it on the roof of the car to drive to the local lake, but I wouldn't take it on the highway and on long drives. Everytime I go to vacation somewhere that has a lake or a calm sea I take a folding kayak with me, I wouldn't/couldn't do it if I only had fully rigids.

If you want to take your kayak on rivers with gentle rapids from time to time, inflatable would be best (even the only viable option I would say, a rigid filled with water will be too difficult to recover, same issue with a folding on top of being too puncture prone). Obviously for any rapid beyond class 2 you'd need a proper whitewater kayak anyway.
>>
File: dasboot.jpg (410 KB, 1600x1200)
410 KB
410 KB JPG
>>2226631
Buy a big old secondhand sit-on immediately and don't get into some internal struggle like >>2227411. That looks like prime kayaking territory. People whinge about not being able to transport them easily, but towing kits with adjustable poles that stick up through the scupper plugs only cost around $50 on ebay. Stick fishing rods in it. Affectionally call it Das Boot. Get aquatic and fuck the haters. Reply to haters on a Bhutanese basket-weaving forum by calling them /in/
>>
>>2227416
I can't stand fishing sit-ons, they are uncomfortable and slow. But to each their own, if you mostly use it as a small fishing boat I guess it's more practical.
>>
>>2226799
>The strongest opposition to TVA came from power companies, who resented the cheaper energy available through TVA and saw it as a threat to private development. They charged that the federal government's involvement in the power business was unconstitutional.

Fuck the TVA. They ran people out of their homes with promises only to flood their land and leave them homeless you kike
>>
If you aren’t dealing with rapids regularly I’d just get a canoe. Especially if you’re wanting to use it for long camping trips.
>>
>>2227428
>T h e s a c r e d t i m e l i n e
>>
>>2226696
Is there any end to the horrors?
>>
>>2227993
Canoes are faggy
>>
>>2228253
Agree, sit on kayak is the best, only faggots use canoe
>>
>>2226678
>there's a campground across the street from a suburb
>You can't make this shit up
Is that unusual?
Every town in NZ has a campground, whether there’s a lake, river, beach or nothing.
Plenty of grounds away from civilisation too, but I’d hardly consider this unusual.
>>
>>2228263
>>
File: image002.png (765 KB, 1030x685)
765 KB
765 KB PNG
>>2228253
>>2228260

Yeah Dick Proenekke and Sigurd F Olson are faggy. You fuckin try hards using kayaks once a year on a lake too shallow to actually get waves dangerous enough that a kayak would be useful are the epitome of manliness.
Lets look at what canoes can do.
Can carry hundreds of pounds of camping gear along with your fat ass.
Can be set up for multiple scenarios like hunting, fishing, long range multi day camping trips.
Can have multiple seats
Can have different kinds of seats for more comfort
Can a have square stern for a small electric or gass motor.
Can stand up and move around in it
Easier to get in and out of
Easier to portage with.
I have been on multi day trips in canoes and kayaks and never once have I been able to stand up, stretch, and grab a drink from the cooler in a kayak.
I'll say it again. If you're not regularly in white water then you don't need a kayak. Even then I've handled a handful of rivers at flood stage in a canoe.
>>
>>2229575
>You fuckin try hards using kayaks once a year on a lake
I've never taken mine on a lake. Cope.
>>
>>2229575
OP here, is this true? Should I be looking at canoes instead?
>>
>>2229579
Did you not read what I just wrote? Get a canoe. It’s a little tougher to master the basic strokes at first but you will get a lot more use out of it. I grew up in the Ozarks before moving to Alaska. I have had plenty of opportunity to do both but kayaks “real kayaks” not sit-ins are really meant for keeping people dry in rough water. I have used sea and river kayaks around Seward and on the Talkeetna river. But now that I’m in the PNW I pretty much only go canoeing.
>>
>>2229579
>>2229583

I’d like to add its perfectly fine to grab a used one off Craigslist just make sure you get aluminum or plastic not fiberglass. They are a lot easier to fix and if you get a hole while out on a long trip you can seal it up with Some quick set epoxy and duct tape until you get to a place to actually fix it.
If you live in a place where they do lots of canoe trips you can call around to guides and see if they have any old canoes they want to let go for cheap.
>>
>>2229575
Found the faggot
>>
>>2229579
Don't, get a kayak instead. A touring kayak especially.
>>
>>2226631
If you end up with a Costco Coffin that will sink if filled with water, please stay close to shore. Only go out into deep open water if your kayak has bulkheads. That looks like an amazing place to kayak. Just don't get lost.
>>
>>2226631
Kayaking on lakes is fun if you like to fish or if you have a specific location you want to access like a beach, waterfall, or campsite. What's really fun is kayaking rivers. There aren't many real close by to where you are at, but there's a lot of really great rivers all around you within driving distance for a day trip. I'd get a kayak and join a kayaking club to setup shuttles and meet people.
>>
File: knoxville whitewater.jpg (93 KB, 786x478)
93 KB
93 KB JPG
>>2229992
forgot to attach the map
>>
>>2226805
this
>>
>>2229900
a more expensive version of a canoe that cant do what a canoe can.
>>
>>2229886
Guaranteed you've never shot rapids in a canoe you flaccid dicked mongrel
>>
>>2229579
I'd say atleast consider renting one of each before buying. Canoe you'll probably want to learn the J-stroke tho.
>>
>>2230298
A BETTER one too, since you can use it on the sea
>>
>>2230336
The only sea he is near is TennesSEE you moron. He doesn’t need a fucking sea going vessel for a damn man made lake.
>>
>>2228264
Where is this from?
>>
File: Untitled.png (425 KB, 990x947)
425 KB
425 KB PNG
god i want to go kayaking up here bros
>>
>>2226665
sour grapes
>>
Rent both canoe and kayak, see which one you like better. (Kayak shill here bro) buy whichever you prefer used or new, buy a safe and comfy pfd, enjoy countless days paddling
>>
>>2230469
Samefagging here, I have a cheap internet and it's slow and I cringe every time it scrapes on rocks but it gets me and the wife on water every other weekends, whatever floats your boat as long as it gets you out there enjoying life.
>>
>>2230478
Not internet, intex explorer
>>
>>2229575
Listen man, canoes are cool but I think you're kinda proving their point with that reaction...
>>
>>2230484
You’re too sensitive
>>
>>2230300
Fuck your canoe, you are misleading people
>>
>>2230340
No the dude will eventually thinking about going to the sea after he tasted the kayaking experience
>>
>>2230589
How am I misleading anyone by giving factual information?
>>
The spitfire is a narrow one man awesome canoe, if you are always going solo consider canoe twelve feet long and under
>>
>>2230591
True but he can rent a sea kayak for 50$ per day when and if he goes to the sea, he is just starting out so whatever deal he gets to get started is going to be good for a beginner, no point splurging until he has tried multiple options. OP is there a paddling club you can join near your place? You could learn a lot technique wise and try out multiple canoe and kayak types
>>
>>2230589
Here, this is way more intense than anything I’ve done but shooting rapids in canoes is nothing new. It was one of the exploration tools during westward expansion, there are plenty of stories of old timers going out and braving rivers no white person had ever seen in a canoe. I agree with everyone else suggesting OP try to rent both and see which he likes more.

https://youtu.be/_Jbq-74OBIo
>>
>>2230786
Nah why rent when you can get one from the start. Kayak is the best choice for everyone, there is literally no use for canoe.
>>
>>2230976
Canoe is deprecated, Kayak is the right way to go. Only larpers use canoe.
>>
>>2226631
Rent/borrow a kayak first before you buy one
>>
>>2231173
Friend, kayaks and canoes have been around for roughly the same amount of time. If one is outdated the other is also. You aren’t making some sort of revolutionary eye opening statement.
>>
a kayak when you are alone or have to carry it
a canoe when you have a few friends with you

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.