[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 49 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Happy 18th Birthday, 4chan!

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

[Advertise on 4chan]

Does high cut shoes actually helps with carrying heavy backpack and walking on bad terrain or just a meme?
>>
>>2226307
High cut reduces your mobility but stops you from rolling your ankles. I always wear high cut for backpacking, but I like my moabs for short hikes
>>
>>2226317
>an actual high quality, thoughtful, and accurate response on /out/
Well color me surprised, some people on this board might actually go outdoors

Listen to this anon OP. One other advantage of high cut is they're better for bushwhacking
>>
Ankle support provides stability and reduces the risk of injury.
>>
>>2226307
For most of hiking trails you only need low cut unless you go off the trail like Hunting or Mountaineering. I have my trailrunner for two years and it was a good choice.
>>
>>2226345
Or if you live in an area where the trails can be excessively rocky.
t. live in the eastern Sierras
>>
>>2226345
For actual hiking I wear hiking boots and dont have much preference between the various heights. But I basically live in a swamp and most out my outdoors activities don't involve carrying a pack or being on a trail and I can say 100% that snakeboots are the way to go for that type of stuff. I would never wear them hiking though.
>>
>>2226307
High-cut. No reason not to. If I need more range of movement I tie them lower.
>>
>>2226307
Total fucking meme
>>
>>2226307
High ones cause my heel to rub and bleed
>>
I stepped in a hidden hole once when walking across a flat grassy trail and if I didn't have high ankle boots I think I'd be in permanent medical debt now
>>
I wear Salomon 4D for difficult terrain, I’ve stumbled enough times in these to know if I was wearing my light mids or fell runners I would’ve been injured.

While reducing mobility, they offer protection. When I’m wearing my mids or fell runners I stick to the trails, wearing my highs I’m all over the place because stumbling doesn’t mean a busted ankle.
>>
>>2226378
Damn can't believe I've never tried this
>>
>>2226443
>permanent medical debt
Ameritubbies
>>
>>2226322
Yeah with high cut you don’t get shit in your boots as easily.
>>
>>2226666
>satan doesn't know gaiters
>>
>>2226686
Quad 6 isn't Satan. Only triple or sextuple.
>>
>>2226307
Only the weak needs ankle support.
>>
>>2226399
these runners appear to have never seen a trail
>>
>>2226307
>Does high cut shoes actually helps with carrying heavy backpack and walking on bad terrain or just a meme?
Meme. on hard terrain, low cuts are better, since you can trun your ankles further. For backpacks, the only thing that really matters is the softness of the sole. Harder soles are better.

What high cuts give you though is protection. Both from shit getting into the boot, and from breaking your ankle when mistepping.
>>
>>2226846
Your fatass seems to have never seen a trail
>>
>>2226659
We don't want it to be this way.
>>
File: E9gSTDZXMAA567k.jpg (200 KB, 920x891)
200 KB
200 KB JPG
>>2226659
Hey man, FDR and world war 2 started all this medical hell.
God I hate FDR so much it hurts.
>>
>>2226307
I have some La Sportiva mids that i bought for trail walking and as a more casual light weight hike shoe, and I don't know if it is my walking gait but almost without fail I get little stones in them. It's a fucking nightmare that I don't get with trainers or my main high ankle walking boots.
I'll never buy mids again because of the way the open ankle area acts as a catchment for any debris going.
>>
>>2226307
meme
They do help with uneven terrain due to the stiffer sole, though, and prevent you from banging the shit out of your feet on rocks/logs on rough non-trail terrain.
>>
>>2226953
use gaiters
>>
>>2226307
I use high cut cuz I had a nasty ankle injury and now th at bit of support is welcome. It does reduce your range of motion a little bit, but not enough matter except in the most extreme terrain.
Just dont fall for the "hike in running shoes" meme. And unironically look into mil surplus boots if you are in a budget.
>>
File: 20210725_103253.jpg (2.13 MB, 3264x1472)
2.13 MB
2.13 MB JPG
I've walked across around 400 angle rock faces without slipping before in a 4 year old pair of asic gels i used for school, so probably not too much.

Pic related, but not the most angular one I went across that day.
>>
>>2226317
>>2226322
>>2226332
This right here. Preventing injuries is just as if not more important than learning out to treat them while /out/.
>>
>>2227146
Forgot to mention a good set of socks. These will help with stability, and dry socks will keep you going. Wet socks will ruin your week.
>>
Get some high performance crocs!
>>
>>2227110
I use them as everyday shoes and i wear shorts a lot. I don't want to wear gaiters if i'm going for a casual walk around a town, on a beach or along a forest trail.
>>
You guys wear shoes?
>>
File: 0714995382141.jpg (62 KB, 612x970)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
>>2226307
ankle support weakens your ankles.
>>
>>2226332
Wrong. The stack height is the biggest factor in spraining ankles. You know which footwear has the higher stack hights
>>
>>2228416
>if i'm going for a casual walk around a town, on a beach or along a forest trail
yeah use gaiters
or just use rainboots like the normal cityfags
>>
>>2228647
Why do loggers not wear spiked trainers?
>>
OP here looks like I confused sole stiffness for high cut lmao
>>
Go barefoot like the native Americans did. It'll toughen you up.
>>
I wear 6" boots, while fishing I bushwack through a lot of nasty terrain and having taller waterproof boots really helps.
Do you guys have a type of lace you prefer? The ones that came with my new boots are kinda narrow.
>>
>>2229100
Have a life expectancy of 45 like the natives had.
>>
>>2228647
Never had a sprained ankle in my life. Learn how to balance yourself son
>>
>>2226307
I just use top right with a heel lock, works really well
https://youtu.be/1tPGJ3-mxbY
I imagine the other ones would be better if you you're more worried about rolling you ankle and water protection
>>
>>2228647
I feel like this is correct, the only time I sprained my ankle was when I was wearing doc martens. I backpack barefoot or in running shoes when weather permits and never had a problem. Snow demands high cut or gaiters or both obv. Barefoot is pretty good unless you expect angry snakes or have to go through thorny bushes that can actually draw blood.
>>
i've been wearing mid cut boots backpacking for years however i'm about to switch up and get some trailrunners. I'm aiming to cut my weight/pack size as well as I train for thru hikes. It seems good trail runners are becoming quite popular
>>
>>2226899
I wouldn't wear boots either if I spent my time /out/ taking pictures of my own feet with my iPhone
>>
>>2229078
>loggers
1. they need cut protection in case the saw slips. That means shoes and pants need to overlap at all ties. impossible uwith anything but boots.

2. They are told what to wear by the insurance companies, by people whove never felled a tree in their lives, and think that injuries to the feet are always caused by the boots while injuries anywhere else an't possibly be.
That's why all "professional" logger boots look like parachuter's boots and are so stiff you can't move your ankles at all. Sure, they protect your ankles well - but if you try to climb a hillside in them, you're almost certain to fall. But the insurance will consider the fall as human error, and not reconsider their demands for protective gear - except perhaps to add a helmet or joint protectors.
For another example: Several insurances where I live ban doublebit axes. Supposedly, if they get stuck and you wrench them out, you run the risk of cutting your hand... They also ban thinned or homemade axehandles, because apparently, they think the rare accidents cost them more than paying for wrist athrosis in pretty much everybody.
>>
>>2229845
honestly unless your constantly on scramble and hard terrain, snow, etc they work very nicely. And even then you can get by.
>>
>>2226832
Wouldn't using low-cut shoes strengthen your ankles?
>>
>>2226307
Really depends on the terrain.
Mid cut serves most people best. There are parts of the world, where you really need high cuts. If you have to ask, you have never been to such a place and likely never will be.
>>
I hiked the Wonderland trail in August with a 35lb pack in Altra Superior 4.5 trail runners. 0 foot problems. Both my friends in boots had mega blisters and problems with wet feet.
>>
High cut gave me peroneal tendonitis
>>
>>2229145
Who tf said I sprained an ankle?
>>
>>2232395
Why do you have two left feet ?
>>
>>2226307
They do, and the proper boot makes a difference

Jungle boots inna swamp are the play. Your feet are GOING to get wett. Hike the rest with a boot that expels water
>>
>>2226307
They are from my experience. Much less likely to roll an ankle, tend to get less stress/soreness in my ankles and calves. Even going from a MOAB mid to a Quest 04, I'm feeling the difference with only ~50 miles on the Quests so far. I wouldn't call higher cut boots an absolute necessity, but certainly a quality of life improvement. Only potential downside is that you trade flexibility/articulation on technical terrain, especially changes in elevation, for support/stability. Rucking heavy loads, it's worth the trade in my book, YMMV.
>>
>>2233912
I can't even count the number of times hiking boots have saved me from rolling my ankle. Good quality boots are a must.
>>
If you're a nigger that can't tie their laces, no need to apply.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.