[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 21 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: TruArc15_1d_1024x1024.jpg (59 KB, 1024x1024)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
Dear compass autists, I require your wisdom.
I'd like to get myself a nice compass to use in field work instead of the garbage handouts from the uni gear lockers, but I've never needed anything better than some chinese keychain garbage before and I have no idea what's garbage/overpriced/etc and what's actually worth buying.
Looking for something more or less like pic related, any recommendations?
>>
>>2209086
I bought a semi decent compass and honestly I've never used it. It's pretty easy to tell which way is north by the time and sun. Even easier at night unless it's cloudy. I'm sure there are use cases for a good compass but I'm my experience you won't need them if you're on any kind of marked trail.
>>
>>2209093
Yeah that's why I've never needed a decent compass before, but now that I'm at uni and doing surveys and field work all the time it would be nice to have a compass that hasn't been completely beat to shit by the last 15 people who had it.
Pic related or a similar model is what we use, but they are a bit of a pain because the dials on them are really fucking stiff while the needle has to be held absolutely perfectly horizontal to keep it from sticking so you have to just trial and error how far to turn it because you can't get a reading while applying enough force to move it.
>>
>>2209086
What do you need a compass for? Not saying you don't (though that's almost certainly the case), but there's several types for different purposes.

For example, the one in your picture is meant for stationary use with a map, where you know your location and bearing, and just need to apply that bearing to something else. Where I am, we call those "artillery" compasses, because they're useless on the move, but allow you to find bearings with more precision than a standard march compass would.

Whichever type you want, you should get one that has a fluid-dampened needle, meaning that the needle or disc is floating in oil instead of just sitting on a point. The cheaper undampened ones will usually get sticky spots quickly. And it's not funny to realize you've been marching SSE for a day while believing you were going SEE.

But really, unless you're in a wide plain with mountains in sight, compasses are useless unless you also bring a sextant. Only thing they're good for is larping.
>>
>>2209112
Forestry class work, we spend a fuckin lot of time doing traverses and surveys and shit. Sometimes we get to play with total stations and fun shit like that, but most of what we do is just fucking around in the woods with a basic compass and maybe a clinometer if the instructor is feeling really fancy.
>>
File: 12784655.jpg (73 KB, 600x600)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
What fucking advice is this?
Just get the suunto a-30
It's cheap for what it is and it glows in the dark
>>
>>2209107
This model is fucking great. If they are giving you MC-2s, take it and be glad of it. Ask someone to show you how to use it if you don't know how already. I use a MC-2 global. Saturday I was kayaking in the dark and using it to navigate to a campsite on a river.

If you want a simple baseplate compass, just go buy one. The needle will still point north, but it requires you pay more attention when you take a bearing because you can't sight the notch and still see the rose like you can with the mirror.
>>
>>2209173
Yeah, from what I can find it seems like Suuntos are the only ones in the under $300 price range that don't have abysmal quality control these days. I'm guessing the issue with ours is just wear and people getting them full of grit and shit and not cleaning them. How is the bezel on yours, does it turn smoothly enough to adjust it at the same time you are sighting?
>>
File: SimpleAs.jpg (116 KB, 1272x1500)
116 KB
116 KB JPG
>>2209086
Pic related, its gonna run you about 100 bucks, but its the only compass you will ever need, and its tested and been used for fucking ever.
It short, its simpleAs.
>>
>>2209189
yes, but I bought mine, so it hasn't suffered the bullshit yours has. I'd ask to see the compasses they have on hand and root through them until you find one that's less sticky than the others.
>>
>>2209140
I never understood how these dumbass compasses are supposed to work.

>>2209200
Based lensatic compass user
>>
>>2209255
You're supposed to hold them to your chest or stomach and then look in the direction they point. They aren't as easy to use as the ones you can sight, mirror or lens, but they will work if you're careful and precise with every bearing. (People never are though, so get a better compass).
I say they're good for learning how to use a compass and map, because they're fine for orienteering exercises and the baseplates are almost all set up for use with topo maps.
>>
>>2209255
easy. you pull out your orienteering challenge sheet your scoutmaster gave you. next, put red in the shed. then compensate for your declination. then turn your body, holding the compass flat in front of you until you are reading the correct numbers per the instructions on the sheet. then walk the appropriate number or paces. then set your new bearing as before. then walk the required number of paces. rinse, repeat, until you are done with the course.

seriously if your out somewhere with a topographic map, you should be able to find your way around with a goddamn bubble compass so long as the place isn't perfectly flat. or your in a desert or some shit.
>>
File: 20210914_182616.jpg (3.44 MB, 4032x3024)
3.44 MB
3.44 MB JPG
I got this japanese compass for like 20$ at a thrift store, not sure what this thread is about but gonna compasspost anyways
>>
>>2209200
Be sure to get a real one, it's crawling with fake chink shit out there.
>>
>>2209255
>I never understood how these dumbass compasses are supposed to work.
The needle points to the north
>>
>>2209093
There's a local case where a guy on his 4th or 5th up a particular mountain got too lazy to navigate and walk by memory alone. He took a wrong turn and kept going without even checking direction for hours until sundown.
Ended up being rescued 4 days later
>>
>>2209173
Nice.
Is it the classic ones? they don't make those anymore. Current model have this pic related cheap plastic crap in place of the iconic needle
>>
File: 81n0xGNRGSL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (146 KB, 1500x997)
146 KB
146 KB JPG
Suunto clipper britbongs represent. Why use a compass when you're never 3 miles away from another fucking human.
>>
>>2209173
>>2209681
forgot pic
>>2209682
I've lost 2 of these
>>
>>2209200
Completely different type of compass. Guess you can use it for your cool guy military LARP tho.
>>
>>2209681
I am sad to say it's plastic on mine. Plastic is the new default.
>>
>>2209107
>>2209140
>>2209200
All based options depending on what your actual needs and expectations are. I am partial to the old school Cammenga Phosphorescent because it lasts a long time and replacing Tritium means replacing the compass. I learned on a lensatic compass in Boy Scouts. Never used that Silva with the aluminum bezel again after I realized how accurate it can be if you take your time. It goes without saying but I am using a high end Garmin handheld rig with my own maps for 99% of my /out/ these days. My Garmins have been practically bomb proof since my first one in '06.
>>
>>2209093
>I bought a semi decent compass and honestly I've never used it. It's pretty easy to tell which way is north by the time and sun.
that's because you don't actually go /out/. No one has an innate ability to know what direction they're going. Anyone claiming otherwise is a liar and/or someone who never goes off-trail.
>>
>>2209694
>>2209681
What difference does it make if it's plastic or metal? The spinner that the arrow is attached to is still metal. I have the newer version myself and I've had no issues with it.
>>
>>2209775
IDK never had the metal version but the price didn't changed so can't help but felt ripped off
The fact it wasn't mentioned anywhere on the product description at the time of purchase also didn't help
It's like falling for those PC memory makers that swap out subcomponents for cheaper ones after gaining good reviews.

Anyway it's only been out for a few years so remains to be seen if it will last as long
>>
>>2209805
>IDK never had the metal version but the price didn't changed so can't help but felt ripped off
I'm pretty sure the price has been reduced drastically over the past few years.I bought mine for about $45 earlier this year and I remember reading old forums saying that people were paying $70-80
>>
>>2209775
Hopefully none. It's a good compass and I'd hate to lose it to some defect down the line. I'm sure I'll eventually lose it to my own dumb ass putting it somewhere "safe".
>>
File: file.png (925 KB, 1000x1000)
925 KB
925 KB PNG
>>2209086
It depends on what you plan on doing
If it's just for basic orienteering, anything like what you posted would do perfectly fine. If you need one for a special application, it may be worth it to get one made for said special application.
t. special application-er
>>
>>2209086
Thumb orienting compass or go home
>>
>>2210139
Do actual geologists and artillerymen still use this compass?
>>
File: 20210917_104319.jpg (1.84 MB, 4032x1816)
1.84 MB
1.84 MB JPG
Suunto
>>
File: 1617216649521.jpg (371 KB, 1080x1350)
371 KB
371 KB JPG
>>2209086
If you want to get something nice.

SUUNTO MC-2 USGS

/Thread
>>
>>2209127
>Forestry class work, we spend a fuckin lot of time doing traverses and surveys and shit.
That's outside my field, but from what little I know, I think you'll probably want a compass with which you can precisely determine angles. That would mean one with a mirror (so you can see the needle and the sights at the same time) and fixed sights (wire sights stretch with time and heat, making them unprecise).
Some examples:
Minimum would be something like this:
https://www.asmc.de/kompass-kasper-und-richter-marsch-spezial
Similiar, but from Suunto:
https://www.asmc.de/suunto-kompass-mc-2-global-6400
And if you really want to drop money, there's also some with inbuilt clinometer and prismatic sights instead of a mirror:
https://www.amazon.de/Geologenkompass-Kasper-Richter-Meridian-Pro/dp/B00GC3B5WQ

I don't own any of those though. I've only ever used a shitty repro USMC compass and a Wehrmacht compass, and usually just navigate with sun, map and landmarks. So take my suggestions with a grain of salt.
>>
>>2210972
the MC-2 has a clinometer too. I don't know how it compares to other compasses though, since I never had another to compare to.
>>
>>2209419
Nice compass anon, seems like a good buy.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.