[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 75 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

[Advertise on 4chan]

Why is every /out/ location astronomically expensive?

>Friends move near Denver, to the west but in the foothills still. Small houses, still a hike to the mountains.
>$500,000 median home price
>Other friend up further along I70, actually right near good spots
>$900,000 median home price
>Loved Flagstaff when I went. My dream climate.
>$575,000 median home price
>Whitefish, Montana far as fuck from anywhere
>$500,000
Fucking Tacoma is expensive and is a god damned rail depot.

Is anywhere left near good wilderness still affordable? Preferably with a university because I'd like to teach some day and some local scene (outdoors and music) because I already live in a rural shithole and don't want to live in another. Plus climbing isn't as fun without at least a marginal scene of established routes, not just me fucking around alone on moss covered shit.

I earn $145,000 a year with a remote job I can take anywhere and am still priced out of most of the country. How do do many poor migrants live in these places?
>>
>>2207346
>Preferably with a university because I'd like to teach some day
actually related to the inflation of many things. why specifically university and not teaching grade school?
>How do do many poor migrants live in these places?
taxpayer money to move them in, and to cover the cost of many expenses

Do you spend all 145,000 a year OP? You haven't been able to save up for a few years?
>>
The eastern highlands of West Virginia are very affordable...

hmm I wonder what would drive up prices...

you want a contradiction that does not exist

Elkins has Davis and Elkins college but living near any university town is obviously going to be more expensive than just living out in a rural area
>>
File: d6c879ffa3d044f8.jpg (81 KB, 720x540)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
>>2207346
>I want big city conveniences like a university
>with all the advantages of small town wilderness
You're ARE of the problem

Also
>He can't afford a $500,000 home on $145,000 a year
>>
when bougie fuckin actors are put on screen by non profit arms of mega corporations
and say
"nature is our most valuable resource"
this is what they actually mean.
move all your rich friends to the country and drive up prices.
so only rich bougie fags and megacorporations are the only ones who can afford it.
>>
>>2207365
Yeah, something seems suspicious here with OP's (lack of) financial skills.
>>
>median household income: $50,100
>median home price: $575,000
I do wonder how this phenomenon holds for vast swaths of the country too
>>
>>2207395
The thing about median home prices is they don't really tell you anything. You could have a bunch of 10 million homes and a bunch of 250k homes and still end up with a median of 575k.

The median house value in my village is probably 500k at this point. I bought my house for 185k, because it's the "wrong" side of the tracks (figuratively. The tracks aren't there anymore), kitchen hasn't been "updated" since the 90s, still has a stone foundation. Do I give a fuck about any of those things? No. OK, the last one was annoying until I fixed some drainage issues.

Don't fucking look at the median home price. Look for homes you can afford and what they are like.
>>
>>2207447
Exactly, my hometown has an average price of around $300k, if you actually drive around, its trailerparks with 100 acre mansions every so often
>>
>>2207346
They're expensive because of tech yuppies LIKE YOU. Yes, exactly like you. You and your friends have priced everyone else out of the entire mountain west with the exception of parts of New Mexico. I suggest going down there and finishing the job.

Also, you want /out/ but can't give up the HUSTLE and BUSTLE of da big city? Pick one, or pay out the nose. That's the thing with locations that have everything: everyone wants to be there.

You can't always get what you want. But since you're a remote tech worker, you can get damn near close. Pouring one out for the locals in advance.
>>
File: z7jiqsqna9m71.jpg (40 KB, 768x768)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>2207580
>>2207447

Average is not the same as median. Median tells you a lot, since half are higher and half lower. Averages are heavily skewed by individual outliers.
>>
>>2207593
Nah man. Believe me, it’s not the devs making mid 100ks who are the problem. The FAGMAN crowd are earning salaries of 300,000-500,000 a year for doing the same work. That’s really the problem, since they bring their California politics and desire for identical overpriced subway tile coffee shops with them.
>>
>>2207610
No he's right, it's the larping middle managers like you.
>>
>>2207346
145k x 5 = 725k
that the normal upper limit for banks to give out loans in my part of the world, lots of houses here cost 500k and up. either find somewhere cheaper or take a 30 year loan and suck it up, it cost this much because of low supply and high demand. unless your housing market is buttfucked you will not run a major risk doing this.
>>
>>2207346
You are a fag and a LARP. Everyone else in this thread saying you're the problem - that's correct.
>>
>>2207365
The couple that posted that car were caught on camera doing that to their own car, FYI.
>>
>>2208300
Based, deep down even they knew they needed to leave.
>>
>>2207346
That’s not how it works. You’ll end up going wherever you can get a job or you’ll end up driving 4 hours per day to adjunct at several small time colleges.
>>
>>2207346
>I earn $145,000 a year with a remote job
...and cant afford a 10% down payment?? I think the issue is less about the price of a home and more about you and your retardation.
>>
>>2207346
>Why is every /out/ location astronomically expensive?
Rich white people have always enjoyed the outdoors and will pay to have the best spots. The spots that are considered the best will always be taken by people with the most money.

You’re making some decent money, and working remote too. You just need to work your way up and save. I only make a little over $100k but I bought my house as $600k. I could do it because My previous house increased in value. So it didn’t happen overnight, but over the years I was able to build up enough equity to live in a nice place.
>>
>>2207346
The second you move into a city like tacoma or denver or even flagstaff your local tweakers/gang members will see you are new and immediately view you as a vic, a meal, a plate, food, whatever the current terminology is. Your packages are going to get stolen at first, and it’ll progress from there. Tacoma is grimey and have seen it 5+ times where someone used to rural safety gets poked up or jumped in tacoma being somewhere they shouldn’t be. With how much you are making and the way things are now you will never be able to afford to live in an objectively safe city.
>>
>>2208486
Yeah tacomafag here they just spent all of this money making Ruston Way nice and immediately thugs move in and start killing each other on the waterfront. Multi million dollar apartment complexes with junkies shooting up on the doorway, sorry no refunds!
>>
>>2207346
>Whitefish, Montana far as fuck from anywhere

Whitefish literally isn’t far from Glacier National Park, it’s also a pretty small town like 7k residents. It’s going to cost more due to it being near Glacier
>>
Reminder to everyone still posting, that OP has responded once to his bait thread
>>
File: hqdefault (14).jpg (21 KB, 480x360)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>2208486
I spent six weeks in Tacoma and it's fine lol. Go live somewhere like Springfield Mass, Buffalo NY, or Hartford CT, those are actual shit holes. Tacoma had people in tent cities but they never bothered me. I almost never made it through downtown Springfield working without crack heads accosting me. Little Rock is shit too now that I think of it.
>>
>>2208558
We are going to keep the shitposts and arguments going all night long, baby.
>>
>>2208524
>>2207346
I stayed at Whitefish for a week when I was day hiking Glacier. Cute town, cute girls too. Wouldn’t have wanted to move there, though.
>>
US system is set up so that housing is artificially scarce because permits for building arent issued. For GI and Boomer generations the US government poured the equivalent of trillions into building housing and said, fuck you, we're building it. Now the country has been under building for 30 years even as migrants are poured in.

Boomers are clearing $500,000+ just for living in their houses. It's all set up to help Boom Booms for votes on the one hand (like 70% of the budget is also Boomer universal healthcare, Medicare, and Boomer UBI, Social Security too), and to help Wall St.

Think about it. Everyone from poorfags to moderate richfags pays 30% of their gross earnings, pretty much for life, on housing. The things cost $250k on average to build brand new and most of the market has decades of depreciation on them, but people have to pay $360,000 now on average. Add in the interest and it's like $650,000-$1,000,000 a middle class family will pay to the banks.

Basically, you keep supply artificially scarce for something everyone needs, lend them the money to buy something that shouldn't be that expensive, and then take in profits. Then those owners will vote to block new supply in turn, and not allow new housing, because building adequate housing will financially ruin them since they paid half a million for $120,000 worth of material value.

Then add in 2 million illegals looking for housing added a year and desperate for work to raise rents. Banks love illegals because they can charge them almost double the interest.

But it isn't just banks. It only works because it makes Boomers rich, so they vote for it too.

And remember, Boomers are also handing us $30 trillion in debt...
>>
>>2208726
I can't wait for this giant global ponzi to collapse, bros. Thank God for Bitcoin
>>
Fed aka The Crown at this point because it's the same thing own pretty much all the land west of the Mississippi and don't let anyone do anything with it. You can't live on it, you can't work it's it just has to sit there and look pretty because it pleases The Crown. America looks big on a map but the places peasants are actually allowed to live are really not big at all
>>
>>2208300
See, everyone, even Californians agree that Californians must go back.

Capycha: APOOS
>>
Whatever you fucking do, do not move to Harrisonburg, VA (which literally fulfills all of your requirements)

If I find out that disgusting yuppie trash like you moved here, I am going to superglue you to a gaming chair and make you watch Clockwork Orange style while I push past your mother's tonsils.
>>
>>2207346
Like I would tell you my spot. I don’t want it to be shit on.
>>
>>2207346
>Fucking Tacoma is expensive and is a god damned rail depot.
The only Tacoma I know of is Washington. If that's the one you're talking about I need you to explain to me why you would ever willingly consider living in one of the most gang infested nigger-ridden cities in Washington State.
There's like an 80x80 city block section of Tacoma where white people can and will be shot.
>>
>>2208942
>own pretty much all the land west of the Mississippi
false
>don't let anyone do anything with it.
false.

do you believe your own retardation or are you just a meme?
>>
>>2208653
When I lived in Hartford I saw a house with a menu listing all the drugs you could buy and their prices written on a piece of cardboard, and a little chihuahua tied to a stake in the front yard
>>
>>2208942
Lol faggot public land is one of the only things the federales do right. If it were up to the mountain states you'd sell it all off in an instant and America would just be another bugman Chinese colony of endless concrete. The whole country would become Texas. Ancaps get the guillotine in equal proportion to the communists.
>>
File: 1617735700981.jpg (73 KB, 800x694)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
>>2207346
>why is everywhere near a beach, lake or mountain expensive?
really?
fucking really?
you cant fucking figure this out for yourself?
fuck me this website's full of dumb cunts these days
>>
oldfag here, in Squamish the "Outdoor Capital of Canada"

Didn't have to pay an arm and leg as I got in in 2011 for 438.5 for a house with bare lawn out back, only two neighbors and backs onto an 6 acre open field.

The trick is to buy a place as soon as you can afford it is an outdoor place you know you like.

Going for a hike on Black Tusk w a scramble up the top, will take pictures and report back
>>
>>2208942
The Feds are the only reason a lot of that land is used at all. Look at northern Oregon. Farmers are saying it's government tyranny that they aren't releasing water (because there is none), but that land want farmable for. The Feds built what would be today billions in water infrastructure for a few hundred families. Plenty of farms out west are totally government dependant and would run huge losses if the tax payers expense was included. It's due to bad policy. As the economy changed in the 20th century, policymakers still thought America would remain mostly agrarian and invested tons in adding marginal land.

The cities too. You don't get Denver, LA, Phoenix, of Vegas at that size without huge infrastructure to keep water cheap. Now the water is going. If they let people build more, more will have to be abandoned.
>>
>>2207365
the 145k a year "job" is probably his rich parents giving him money lmao
>>
>>2209592
thanks for the diary grandpa
>>
Pueblo and Pueblo West are pretty cheap in CO, and out in the county along Hwy 50 there's some pretty nice burbs (nice by my standards at least, I was poor as fuck growing up lmao)

Pueblo gets a bad rap, some of which is deserved, but it's a nice town that's close to the mountains. Plenty of good tex-mex and Italian food, too.
>>
>>2207346
>I earn $145,000 a year with a remote job I can take anywhere and am still priced out of most of the country.
Literally kill yourself
>>
>>2210038
"priced out of the only insular upper-middle-class white neighborhoods I'm interested in living in" more like it
>>
>>2208300
Californians acting like attention whores? Shocking!
>>
>>2207610
lol the average american makes $31k a year and you think making $125k a year makes you an oppressed worker and not dirty fucking yuppie scum?
please kill yourself
>>
>>2208474
>"only" a little over $100k
Please kill yourself
>>
>>2209102
Only in Washington is a 12% black city considered "nigger-ridden"
Face it, it's the local whites that make the northwest a shithole
>>
>>2210169
anything over 3% is "nigger-ridden" you filthy faggot.
and the massive amount of violent crime that Tacoma has is all within the aforementioned 80x80 block area that also happens to be 80%+ black
>>
>>2210169
>Only in Washington is a 12% black city considered "nigger-ridden"
If you disagree, that just tells you what a complete shithole you live in.

FYI, Oakland CA is only 21% black.
>>
>>2210169
Despite being 12%…
>>
>>2207362
>west Virginia
>highlands

Lol dumb deciduous faggot. Go on and complain about homophobia.
>>
>>2207346
Californians.
>>
>>2211544
You are incorrect.
People are jacking rates to scare off kalifornians, but screw over everyone else.
>>
>>2211548
No, they are infesting everywhere. Arizona is already ruined.
>>
Because everybody wants that. Alone somewhere remote with hot running water , electricity and internet.
This is it. We have reached the point of human existing when living along, close to other competitors of yours in the capitalist system, other humans cause only problems, pain and suffering.
Life without a neighbors is what makes one to be free.
But you gotta be filthy rich to achieve that, or go nuts and try to survive alone in the wilderness.
Only poor motherfuckers live cluttered together.
Rich live alone and remote.
>>
File: 1630269650214.jpg (53 KB, 828x805)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>>2211555
Being alone can be cheap. Average US home price has surged to $383,000, but in Wyoming, which is super open, half of all homes are less than $279,000.

It's more that /out/ areas that are near towns for shopping without driving super far, near airports so you can see your family easily, and with good schools where your kid won't sit on a bus for 3 hours a day aren't cheap.

Housing overall is fucked and it's not hard to see why. The GI generation had the best economy in US history in terms of % growth, although they got started with the Depression and WWII. Boomers got the second best, without the bad stuff. Arguably US Boomers had the greatest place/time to live in all of human history. Very high economic mobility, very low inequality, rapidly raising wages. You could drop out of high school, buy a house and car, and raise a family with a stay at home mom. New Deal and Great Society programs also paid out more as a safety net, and have been paired back since, particularly the value of Social Security. Also, you used to get pensions. Plenty of retirees still make more than their 30 year old children every year on a pension salary they've pulled every year for a decade. My in laws got to retire at 55 pulling in $100,000 a year until death.

And then the Boomers also wracked up $30 trillion in debt, largely on a series of massive tax cuts during their peak earning years (essentially buying stuff they wanted and passing the bill down 30 years on notes). Then they get UBI, up to $3,500 a month, and universal healthcare despite having the highest health costs. Both expenses dwarf defense.

But... they still saved almost nothing for retirement. Boomers consoomed hard. So most of their wealth is in the three bedroom they bought for $85,000 in 1990 they now might sell for $700,000. The market is set so that housing always has to go up, if it doesn't go up Boomers don't get gains and politically this isn't ok.
>>
>>2212356
So values need to go up for Boom Booms. This is accomplished by keeping supply low (home building has lagged household formation since the 1990s) and demand high (mass migration, the US adds a medium sized state worth of people every year).

Complicating factors, most migrants come with virtually no assets and low skills, and they all drive each other's wages down, and demand for people without degrees is already absolute shit, so none of them can afford a mortgage on a new house, even if the government gave them free land. So they all compete over limited aged stock. Nothing is done to incentivize migrants to go to Rust Belt cities losing population that need people, so they all go to the Southwest which is running out of water.

Local governments used to be forced to build housing in huge government building sprees. Now they limit housing. Everyone who just bought a house that is $100,000 in physical assets for $700,000 now had a stake in voting against development. More supply will financially ruin them because values will go down.

The solution would be more building, less migration. It will never happen because values most go up, so no building, and Boom Booms want low prices and home health aide servants who work for $8 an hour and allow them to stay in their homes until death, both of which require migrants.

This is why the GOP held both chambers of Congress, the WH, and Court for two years and didn't hold one (1) vote of migration, not even token shit like deporting criminals, and why illegal border crossings hit a 13 year high in 2019 under a guy who ran on migration.
>>
>>2208690
larper
>>
>>2207346
build your own house you lazy retarded faggot
>>
>>2209825
eat a hot steaming turd from the ass of Andy Sixx, There a couple floating around in the /b/ thread
>>
>>2209825
PS Enjoy being a permanent poorfag
>>
I've lived in Utah and Oregon on $50k salary you fucking idiot
>>
File: USA_cost_of_living_map.jpg (82 KB, 1200x844)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
From this map, here are all of the good outdoor states.

> Kentucky
> West Virginia
> Utah
> Idaho
> Wyoming
> Tennessee
> Virginia
>>
>>2213477
states shouldn't be ranked by affordability, since there's an enormous range of COL within every single state. it's not a very effective metric for most purposes.
>>
File: IMG_20210710_195002632.jpg (843 KB, 3120x4160)
843 KB
843 KB JPG
House (2000 sqft, good condition) with 6 acres in Massachusetts, 90% wooded with a stream running the entire length of the property. Bought for $250,000 a two years ago just before the market exploded. Would probably go for more now, but point being even if you live in one of the most expensive states (I see MA is ranked 46th) there's good land if you are willing to go further than an hour away from the big cities.
>>
>>2213477
>Alaska
>least affordable
I'm assuming this isn't because housing/rent is high? But rather that the costs of goods are super high due to everything having to be imported from far away.
>>
File: housemoneys.png (182 KB, 842x450)
182 KB
182 KB PNG
>>2213477
>A bunch of states with no /out/ areas are the best /out/ states...
Sigh. If you want to know where to avoid for housing costs, here are 3 images.
None of you ever do city-data.com, huh? Best map stats ever, and nobody knows about it.
>>
File: densenessity.png (170 KB, 850x444)
170 KB
170 KB PNG
>>2213644
Places where people are - avoid if you want cheap real estate basically.
>>
File: coolindex.png (179 KB, 848x456)
179 KB
179 KB PNG
>>2213645
CoL index
>>
>>2213644 >>2213645 >>2213647
Housing is pricey in the western third of the country because either it's beautiful and easy to live in (Cali) so everyone wants to live there, or it's 90% public land or barren wastes, and the other 10% gets filled up fast. See Idaho:/AZ Either it's unbuildable hills/desert, or it's the small stretch of irrigable valley that's now just as unaffordable as Portland.
The only affordable areas are so far away from a major city that Californians aren't willing to colonize it, and then everything costs a bunch because of logistics and you can't buy anything because you're in the middle of nowhere. There are smaller cities and towns scattered about that are somewhat affordable but distant from everything else. Southern OR has a few.
The East Coast is much the same, though the Southeast is more affordable because of demographics - liberal white people aren't in fact that interested in diversity unless it can be packaged into a fusion restaurant with a Hispanic mural on the back wall painted by an art school grad, free from tags of course.
The Midwest outside of Chicago is fairly affordable specifically because it's so dull and has a dull climate. The only parts with /out/ activities are so far north you might as well just move to Alaska. You get 6mo/year at best to enjoy nature...
That leaves the pulpy center: MO, TN, KY. Areas mostly free from "unpleasant diversity", too far from a coast to be desirable enough for Coasters to colonize and make unlivably expensive/regulated, yet surrounded by /out/ stuff with mild climates.

The blue dots in the second picture are urban areas, and land (housing aside) will be affordable anywhere not in a blue/green county, $10-20k/acre generally, less on large lots.
You can buy a few acres for less than $50k with research, and build a small homestead/manufactured home cheaply enough, and be surrounded by /out/ areas. They might not be the Cascades or Rockies, but you have to pay for those.
>>
the short version is housing is really over valued right now. primary because the US has print money causing massive real inflation since 2008. theres another 2008 like crash coming, be ready to scoop up cheap real estate in cash when it hits
>>
>>2213515
Well done anon
>>
>>2213716
This feds will never allow an economy crash of that level again. 2008 was an unprecedented fluke, and jews/blackrock are going to damn make sure that property stays inaccessible. They've been prepping the country for 13 years now to live in pods and own nothing.
>>
>>2207346
I don't want you to move to my town, but I got a nice house in a normal neighborhood a mile away from a great hiking/mtb/skiing trail network for 208
>>
>>2213716
I want to believe
>>
>>2214534
You don't need to wait for a basically random market crash to buy a house. Look for houses when nobody else is looking, like during the holidays or in February when it's freezing (I was looking at houses during the polar vortex in 2019 and got a great deal). Anybody selling a house then is desperate for money, cuz otherwise they'd wait until summer when the market is red hot
>>
>>2214804
Thank you.
I would invite you to the /out/ winter meet-up on my property in a few years
>>
>>2207356
Would you rather...
>Teach 20/30 students to read
>Have 10/30 student parents come bitch at you
>See 30/30 students move on to the next grade because public opinion agreed your lessons aren't that important.
>Get told to shut the fuck up on a daily basis.
Or
>Teach adults something they want to learn
>Fail retards with impunity
>Only take calls during office hours once a week.
>Show up to work only when you have to.
>>
>>2209579
This comic has helped me understand how illiterate tards comprehend memories.
>>
I live in a town that exactly fits the bill. Close to the mountains, has a university, affordable housing, the works. Don’t know why I’d ever reveal it to a shit-for-brains yuppie such as yourself though. More money than sense it sure seems like, already enough of that kind here as it is. By the way, wherever you go, you’ll more than likely not be welcomed any more than with a surface level of politeness. The majority of America has much less money and has to work much harder than you, and therefore tend to despise your kind. That being said, I have a hunch you won’t really care about whatever community you end up in, just what you can get out of it.
>inb4 ‘you’re just envious of how much money I make’
Nope, have just seen first-hand that people like you are a indisputable blight on wherever you move to. Good luck bud.
>>
unironically because people who make a shit ton of money like you want to live there.

you can easily afford a 500-600k house on 150k a year.

not that its personally your fault, but fuck you for being part of the problem.
>>
>>2214534
its not really a question of it, but rather of when. market corrects are part of normal economic cycles and the last 10 years have been a whole lot of up and not much down. the down will come eventually.
>>
>>2213617
Rent is very high in Anchorage. $1500 gets you a shitty 1 bd. Houses average $400k everywhere in the state

t. lived in Homer
>>
>>2215195
I teach in a uni and it is much better. Your pay is capped on scales, etc. so you will never make as much (possibly) as in a business, but at least it's stable.

But yea, generally the students are self-motivated. You get some duds now and then, but failure is generally their own fault (if you don't suck too much, too). To the duds, I always give warnings and an extra chance or two, but honestly, it usually doesn't make a huge difference. It's more to cover myself, so at least I can say, well, I really tried. They are less likely to come back at you bitching and threatening to get daddy's lawyer on you.

But, you also have busy periods where you basically don't get a weekend, summers can suck because it's not like you're instantly free. There are summer classes, and a lot of planning and meetings and shit. But still, yea, you get quiet periods too where you get paid for barely doing anything, just keeping up appearnces. It balances out.

If I weren't (happily) married and a father, I could probably easily get some 19 year old pussy too. At least I can look.

OT, sorry.

>>2207346
>I WANT TO LIVE WHERE EVERYONE ELSE WANTS TO LIVE
>WHY IT SO EXPENSIVE, WAAAAAH
And seriously, if you're making 6 figures and can't save for a downpayment, you fucking suck.
>>
>>2212360
Houses are not just raw materials. The value is tied up in a stake of land that you want to live on. This more than anything else drives home cost. I bought a 850k home in a tech city that is three floors and is almost 100 years old. The old growth cedar used in the home makes the. Raw materials of my house worth more than most on the block, but it is a smaller lot with less liveable space. And around the corner (literally) the houses jump 200k+ because they are right on the water. Location, location, location
>>
>>2215616
Jesus I can't imagine why. Is it actually worth it? Alaska seems like the best place to live for 25% of the year and then the worst place for the rest of it.
>>
>>2216118
The dream would be puerto rico and alaska so you don't have to pay income tax and enjoy the summer in alaska and winter in puerto rico.
>>
>>2216136
Quality of life in low tax states is worse than in high tax states
It's worth the price of admission
>>
>>2216342
lol stockholm syndrome
>>
>>2216342
Quality of life in giant metropolis: Hour in traffic. Lunch at work takes 10min just to get down to ground level and back up. Live in small house/apartment because expensive, enjoy 1/4 acre lot. CoL high, enjoy $20 burgers, $8 drinks. Maybe there's a large park within 30min that's not just mowed grass and bushes with needles in them. Gangs and crime, bums on trains pissing in corner, panhandlers everywhere, trash, smog that smells like chemical dough.

t. leaving high tax metropolis state within the year. I can move to any number of low/no tax states nearby and not have to deal with this shit. It's great if you're young or have some high earning career, but usually you can find somewhere that's 80% as fun and 20% as bullshit anyway.
Did the math moving to a "free" state, make 80% as much but don't lose 10% income tax or 10% to property taxes. Lower CoL. It's a wash. And warmer.
>>
>>2216408
What if I told you high-tax states have small towns and rural areas as well?

The "mountain tax" is real, applies to most beautiful areas, and is so worth it. Living in a small affluent town in California or Colorado is gonna beat the shit out of living in one in Kansas. In the words of Don Draper, "that's what the money is for!" Like, California extracts its price from you, but there's a reason it remains a playground for the rich in spite of that.
>>
>>2216402
I grew up in Texas and now live in Minnesota. Both ends of the spectrum, dude. Texas is a dump; but fuck off we're full here
>>
>>2216421
Those are yuppie towns. Everything is great when you're rich, but most of us aren't. So in reality you'll just be living in a shitty place while also dealing with high taxes and retarded laws. There's a reason why the state is bleeding people.
>>
>>2207366
sounds based
plebs don't deserve nature

OP I recommend you drop the pretense and just go and live in the forest like a caveman
don't even fake your death nobody will come looking for you
>>
>>2216569
They aren't yuppie towns but they're definitely benefitting from the yuppies being close by
The Noveau and Hipster Rich don't actually like living in nature all that much, just close to it.
>>
>>2216605
Yeah, which usually raises the price of those towns though. Mountain towns near beautiful nature price out most people. I mean look at Colorado and all the yuppies who vacation in the small towns on the western side, the housing prices are insane. You have to live extremely remote before prices come down.
>>
>>2207346
Off your tax dollars.
>>
>>2216569
I mean sure, if you don't have the money you don't have the money. I know I don't. But if you do, that's why those high-tax high-COL states remain so: because they're just that good when you can afford them. The formerly middle-class may be evacuating California, but the high rollers are staying put. Tech yuppies are the new elite, and they get first pick of where to live (and thus where to gentrify.) No surprise they're picking the mountains, now that the coastal areas are packed.
>>
There's a really nice outdoorsy area in northern MN where I've seen houses for under 30k. It was a boomtown in the early 20th century but now they're going through hard times. Quad cities, Virginia/Eveleth/Hibbing/Gilbert
They even have a state park dedicated to offroading
>>
>>2207362
I went to high school in Elkins. Really comfy small town. Does have it's own opiate problem though. I know several people I went to high school with that have died of overdoses.
>>
>>2216981
Get rid of the drug dealers.
>>
>>2216982
like the Sackler family?
>>
>>2216421
Small town life isn't for most people. Notice how most people don't live in one?
>CA
6-figures and 6 months just to get permitted to build a house anywhere in the state. Land costs $50-100k/acre, labor costs are literally double everywhere else. We considered buying land in some out of the way county in the Central Valley, but it just isn't worth it.
Colorado Springs was another option; retarded expensive for not even being a major metro.
No, I don't want to live in some nowheresville 5000 pop small town in a state I still have to deal with endless bs in, and most large towns/small cities worth living near (ie not crime-ridden shitholes) are $$$ in these states.
Everywhere worth living is jacked up in price/tax, and in small towns you miss out on the increased wages that offset that in metros.
>>
>>2216738
>Northern MN
There's a reason it's all at a discount up there. I'm sure it looks idyllic in July at least...
Have no clue how someone moves from TX to MN and actually enjoys the move.
TX looks comfy. What am I missing here? Very likely to move to DFW next year. Sick of Midwest climate. Must go to the sunlight.

Want: 4mo winter max, no desert, no swamp, mostly euro/asian heritage, metro-adjacent, <$30k/acre.
Really not that many options actually. None that are perfect, but east rural DFW seems to fit so long as you don't have to go into Dallas itself often. That or TN, maybe southern KY.
Knoxville looks a maybe. Next to Smokies, which is big plus. DFW is a bit non-/out/, though lakes.
>>
>>2217739
Dallas is a sprawling overpopulated metropolitan. Two of my buddies live there so I visit regularly, I'm not a fan

If I need my big city fix, twin cities is only two hours away

Any place that's sparsely populated in Dallas now will turn into suburban hell in the next ten years. Hard pass
>>
>>2207346
Because you're not the only person who wants to live comfortably in normie /out/ locations like Denver and Flagstaff. So does the majority of the country, and those with enough money will get what they can while broke retards like you who google "Top 10 best nature living locations in USA" are left in the dust
>>
>>2217726
Most people don't live in small towns/cities because they have zero hobbies. Have you lived near millennials/zoomers? They fucking kill themselves if they don't have a club and 50 different variations of ching chong ching chang ethnic restaurants within 5 minutes of their house. Hell roasties alone complain if they don't have a constant revolving platter of dick to choose from on tinder. If you want the inexpensive places, you have a marketable skill/trade that can be used everywhere, and learn to put up with conservatives existing you.
>>
>>2207346
I hear Haiti is nice right now.

Faggot.
>>
>>2217804
Did you grow up in a small town? The way I got out was getting a job with a multinational company and transferring internally. I think if op would just go to alltrails and start looking for /out/ stuff in cheaper places (median home price is a good measure) then he might find the sweet spot
>>
>>2217726
>5000 pop
>small town

bruh, that's not even that small your metrics for size are skewed...
>>
>>2217726
Eureka
>>
>>2216981
Did you go to university in WV too? Or head out of state and never moved back?

I think it is more there are very few towns of any size in the mountains of WV - rather than a testament to Elkins being a particularly nice town. Lewisburg, Davis/Thomas are perhaps more conventionally charming and developed I guess.

I get that drugs can get you and there isn't necessarily a lot to do, but just in terms of scenic potential it is a very nice area with lots of uncrowded trails that is relatively off the touristic radar except for a few popular "traps".
>>
>>2218049
I went to WVU for a few days before dropping out. Ended up moving to middle Tennessee for school and it sucks ass.
Elkins is one of the best towns if you're looking for a mix of convenience and /out/. The Fall Forest Festival is a little touristy every year but nothing really to worry about.
If you need bigger city amenities for whatever reason, Clarksburg and Morgantown aren't too far away.
>>
>>2217761
Looking well outside city boundaries, like Athens or Greenville-adjacent more than DFW-adjacent. Everyone seems to be mobbing up north DFW anyway. I can find lakefront acreage to the east under 100k.
We have family in DFW.
Maybe Tyler, but haven't really checked that area out yet. We really don't want to be too close to DFW, more close to exurbs like Rockwall.
>Just live in the black belt instead
No.
>But people will move next to you
So I can sell at a profit after 10 years? Hard choice.
>>
>>2217804
I've noticed this too. We're not foodies and don't care much for most city activities. Trend culture in the cities just exhausts me with how herdmind it gets, and we're too old to go clubbing even if we had the inclination.
>>2218042
Great it's almost like I clearly defined my understanding of a nebulous term that literally nobody agrees on so we wouldn't have to have this idiotic semantics argument.
>>
>>2217966
Yeah I grew up in small town west Virginia. I will say that yes, if you are trying to get an office job or some other college academic career you're going to have a hard time. That's why I mentioned getting a more grounded career that's applicable anywhere that people live. In any case I think the cheap but good out places exist, but they're usually avoided for being in conservative areas. No weed, no gay pride flags hung up on every corner.
>>
>>2218361
What makes you though you'll make money by selling land? You have to pay taxes on it every year and property tax rates are high in Texas
>>
>>2207346
thats such a low quality photoshop, advertisers arent even trying these days

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.