[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

#407-“Back 2 Basics” Edition

Previous Thread:
>>2200462

Thinking about picking up a new hobby? Want to get a memecaster? Haven't mastered the Palomar knot? Click here!
http://www.pastebin.com/u/fishingandtackle
https://imgur.com/a/1Xw3N

New Bong Fishin Guide
https://pastebin.com/sDB5SQTq

First for best telescopic rod is the one you exchanged for a 3pc.

Talk about fishin
>>
>>2206601
Do you want a bunch more homo threads instead?

>tfw we have been making new threads at the bump limit for 5 years and now after a bunch of gay threads and brown pics that are invisible in the catalog, somebody complains
>>
Why is palomar the best?
>>
wouldn't it be funny if OP was actually the real Kevin Van Dam?
>>
>>2206632
who
>>
>>2206632
I met up with some anon to teach her how to fish, and she thought I was Kevin Van Dam, but I’m not sure she understood that KvD is like the LeBron of fishing and I’m just Bepis
>>
File: 20210910_232532.jpg (2.98 MB, 4032x1816)
2.98 MB
2.98 MB JPG
Picked up some new things from Decathlon here in Nice today, was around 12:30 and there was a man so drunk out of his mind he mistook a mannequin in a wetsuit for an employee, God I love France
>>
>>2206583
>nc close to the coast
I have experience fishing out there. What's your budget for fishing gear?

I figure I would start out surf fishing. As far as budget it's not really a big issue (unless we are talking over $2K). I'd like to be able to have 2 rods in the water with some decent gear that will last me.
>>
Anyone have some advice on a rig for red drum?
>>
File: fishing2.jpg (264 KB, 1500x1125)
264 KB
264 KB JPG
heading up to oswego NY, looking to catch salmon. searching forum posts some people say you need to run heavy line because the salmon will chew through thin line, other people are saying you need to run super thin leaders or the fish will see the line and won't bite.

who's right?
>>
>>2206643
The classic crab on a circle hook with a swivel and a pyramid sinker on the main line.
>>
>>2206651
Depends on the day, really.
>>
>>2206654
Thanks, that sounds good.
>>
>>2206651
Me
>>
>>2206601
Anyone know what bra that is? It looks really nice
>>
>>2206615
enough with shoe pics ffs. how hard is it have a ruler with you ? you can have ruler marks on your net, on your rod, on your boat, you can have a tape measure on your keychain, you can have a tape measure in your tackle box or vest.
>>
>>2206673
Thanks for the info
>>
File: IMG_20210804_204148.jpg (327 KB, 808x806)
327 KB
327 KB JPG
>be me
>hiking out to new fishing spot
>suddenly sirens behind me
>entire fucking SWAT team with their guns pointed at me
>promptly whatthefuck
>throw my hands in the air like I just don't care
>they grab my hands and check me over
>turns out someone mistook my fishing rod in its case for a gun
>yup, just a fishing rod
>cops kek
>I kek
>mfw I didn't catch any fucking fish after all that
>>
>>2206631
Easy to tie and stronger than most terminal connection knots.
>>
>>2206640
have you tried sebile magic swimmers? They're kinda similar to that and pretty affordable compared to other swimbaits and glidebaits.
>>
>>2206494
Hey Wilmington bro, I'm in CB. Got a burner email or discord? There's still a few days of flounder season if you wanted to try for em.
>>
>>2206718
Fuck yeah, unfortunately I am waiting for NC wildlife to mail back my lifetime hunting/fishing license since I am 50% rated by the VA. Only been in the state for a couple weeks so had to get a NC drivers license before the fishing/hunting.

Here is a throwaway: wakwak1998434@protonmail.com
>>
>>2206695

this has also happened to EPF fishing some urban / suburban creeks in Pennsylvania, which is doubly retarded because its an open carry state, people are assholes.
>>
>>2206695
would the police go and give the caller shit for wasting police time?
>>
>>2206695
at least you didn't get shot.
>>
>>2206725

The only time a caller would get in trouble for something like this is if they are calling multiple times about the same exact issue and have already been told its not an emergency. It's an extremely high bar to get in trouble for something like this.
>>
>>2206725
I imagine you would have to prove negligence on the caller's part.
Probably some soccer mom strung out on painkillers.
>>
>>2206725
To be fair, I totally could fit a gun in that case, but funny thing. The guy saw me coming on the way back into town and came out to apologize. He seemed really neurotic. Paranoid about "neo-Nazi militias."
>>
>>2206725
I'm no lawyer, but I would imagine penalizing people for calling in stuff by mistake would make people hesitate when there's an actual emergency.
>>
>>2206734
Lmfao
>>
Heading out tomorrow for the first time since I was young. Are there specific knots I should tie for specific fishing? Just gonna be using some lures and maybe try a Texas rig. I planned on using palomar knot for everything. Is this bad?
>>
>>2206748
>Is this bad?
Yes but it probably won't matter
>>
>>2206748
Most people recommend uni or palomar and they should be fine for just about anything unless you're going for specialized rigs.
I prefer trilene personally, but I think your general-use knot is just up to preference.
>>
Slow day for southern Ontario steelhead. Closest we got was a big dead one drifting by. Out of 100 people nearby only saw 2 get hooked and zero landed all night.
>>
File: received_870037606494655.jpg (88 KB, 1200x1600)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
>>2206641
If you can go for 2k you'll be well set. I'll try to get you in the game a little cheaper though
>daiwa bg x2
You're going to want two sizes; a 3000 for general purpose (bluefish, spot, Spanish, speckled trout, red fish) this is just your general do all rod. You wont be casting much more than an ounce and even two you'll be kinda lobbing it. The next one will be a 4500, this will cast basically everything that's heavier than you'll want to cast with your lighter set up that isnt insane. I, personally, would spool them with 20 and 40 pound high visibility power pro respectively. Any reputable tackle shop will do this for free if you buy the line from them. As for rods, I'm not going to tell you to go buy this exact rod because this is more of a feel thing. You'll want a rod in the 100-150 dollar range for these. The lighter one I'd revomend a 7 foot rod that would be typical for a bass fisherman. Upper end of line rating in the ~17-20 pound range and maybe 3/4 ounce rated maximum casting load. Buy from penn, daiwa, or shimano, ideally.
Then you'll want one more combo. This one will be called a "heaver" and it's for exactly what it sounds like; heaving big weights and big baits for big fish. I'm talking 8 ounces of lead, single strand bitevwire, and a 7/0 or bigger circle hook with a whole spot, blue crab, or similar for bait
>pic related, some croaker I caught for use as live bait at Avalon pier some time ago in the outer banks
For this set up I would tell you to get a daiwa sealine x30sha and a 12 foot heavy daiwa beefstick. The beefstick is budget friendly and a sturdy blank that will stand up to quite a bit of use and abuse, and heaves like a champ. The reel is a conventional reel and will take some practice to get used to. This rod will be for soaking crabs and croaker for bull drum, bluefish chunks for Ray's and sharks, and if you decide to get in to "king rigging" on piers itll be a great "anchor rod."
>>2206643
Fish finder rig with a circle hook
>>
>>2206641
As for gear you'll need a tackle bag, a few plano boxes, a 40 pound spool of berkley big game, an 80 pound spool of Berkley big game (both clear) some barrel swivels, some pyramid stinkers from 1 to 8 ounces, some circle hooks in a size 1/0, 3/0, and 7/0; some "aberdeen" or "bait holder" hooks in size 2, 4, and 6; and that should get you in to the basics of soaking bait. Lastly you'll want some #6 or #8 single strand wire leader, itll come in handy. That will get you bait fishing for everything your gear can handle from red fish to Ray's to blues to spots to sheepshead and just about anything else under 20 pounds and plenty that's over.
As for lures, bucktails are a staple. Flounder, cobia, speckled trout, red drum, and so much more will eat bucktails. Have some bright colourful ones in the 3 or 4 ounce range on the off chance you get a shot at a cobia and 1/2-2 ounces will cover most everything else. You'll also want "gotcha plugs" they're a staple for bluefish and spanish mackerel. I've also used them to jig for squid in the lights of piers at night. Another one I quite like is a Clark spoon; they're traditionally for trolling but theres no reason one cant cast and retrieve them. Get "trolling weights" from 1/2-3 ounces for varying conditions and a few sizes of spoon. Tie on the weight, then tie 18-24 inches of #40 mono to it, then tie the Clark spoon to that. Wing it as far as you can and retrieve it. I usually like it best when things are slow because I wont wear myself out on a gotcha plug waiting for one random bite.
Add in a small cutting board, a good pair of needle nose pliers, a bait knife, a fillet knife, some nippers, and sand spikes and you're fully kitted out to catch near anything from the surf or pier. The rest is just learning knots, and getting good at casting.
>>
>>2206601
Just got back from my Coho trip in Astoria, OR. Got skunked both days but had a couple big fuggers follow my lure all the way to the beach. Guy right next to me pulled a couple HUGE fish with the exact same lure I was using. I feel that I have fallen into disfavor with God, likely owing to my many sins. I shall spend the next several days in prayer and fasting, begging the Lord for forgiveness.
>>
>>2206748
I use a uni for almost everything, never failed me. I do snell my hooks when I pre-tie leaders but the palomar is a fine knot.
>>
>>2206641
Rigs! First, let's talk knots. You're going to need to learn a few
>uni knot
Works for everything, not always the strongest
>dropper loop
Essential for dropper rigs like the one used in >>2206834
>haywire twist
Using single strand wire? Then you're also using a haywire twist
>double surgeons loop
Fast, easy, strong loop knot, I usually use it for weights on dropper rigs
>fg knot
Braid to mono
So before you can tie your rig you need your shock leader. My general rule of thumb is start with 20 then every ounce add 10 pounds of line (1 ounce, 20 pound, 2 ounce 30 pound, 3 ounce 40 pound, so on)
The shockleader should be two to three rod lengths, and its job is to absorb the shock of casting. Its no fun to bomb a 200 foot cast if the line breaks while you're doing it. For braid to mono, and fg knot requires practice but is strongest and smoothest. I've had them slip and re grab and land me my fish even though my knot failed
The next easiest rig Is a fish finder or Carolina rig. Slide your weight on to your shock leader, followed by a bead and a barrel swivel. Affix a 6-12 inch leader to this and an appropriate hook. The leader can be monofilament, wire, fluorocarbon, dacron, or braid . This rig can be upsized or downsized to any end of the spectrum. Bait with just about anything from live or dead fish, shrimp, squid, crabs, sand fleas, worms, or anything else the fish are eating.

>dropper rig
This is a little trickier. It starts with tying a large double surgeons loop at the end of your line. 12 inches up from that, the first loop, and then second, third, or even fourth loops can be added from there out. Use smelled hooks and loop to loop connections and bait similarly to the Carolina rig. Run the loop at the bottom through the eye of the sinker, then loop it around to change weights. Bait with whatever the fish are eating, change hook size as needed.
>>
>>2206641
Some lures also have to be rigged, like clark spoons. Their rigging is simple, tie a trolling weight to your shock leader, then use a bite leader of either steel wire or heavy mono to tie the spoon on 18-24 inches behind the weight. Change out the weight to adjust how deep the lure runs at a specific speed.
>gotcha plugs
A piece of single strand wire or heavy mono is all you need to protect your main line from sharp teeth. you probably dont even need a shock leader.
That's about all there really is to it. On a conventional reel, however, make sure the leader knot is lined up all the way on one side of the spool or the other, if it's in the middle it could cut your thumb open. Here's a haul of bluefish I got one day. They were about 15 inches.
>>
File: 20210901_180153.jpg (903 KB, 3216x1448)
903 KB
903 KB JPG
https://youtu.be/RakDzNA2Hug well?
>>
>>2206734
Whats the world coming to fren?
>>
File: 1572095081157.png (92 KB, 310x310)
92 KB
92 KB PNG
What's /out/ consensus on telescopic rods? I'm gonna start fishing next year and need something compact (I'm bikepacking). It'll only be for small lakes and small rivers.
Any feedback on the Kastking Blackhawk?
>>
>>2206943
The consensus is in the OP. get a 3 or 4pc that comes with a case.
>>
>>2206948
I saw, but why?
>>
>>2206951
They're just better. less prone to breaking, and much better sensitivity. I love my Fenwick Eagle 3pc. Unfortunately lots of these travel rods aren't stocked in stores so you've gotta blindly buy online...
>>
>>2206958
>much better sensitivity
I think this would be the only downside in my case as I'm willing to pay more for a good quality telescopic rod that wouldn't break (I'm not going after big fish anyway so I think I would still be fine with a cheaper one, I'm hearing good things about the Kastking telescopic rods).
I need to document myself more on the sensitivity issue and see if it would really be that big of a deal in my case, as a beginner just fooling around.
>>
File: 20210612_200516.jpg (3.4 MB, 4032x1816)
3.4 MB
3.4 MB JPG
>>2206717
>have you tried sebile magic swimmers?
No ill check those out, I have tried the sebile pivot frogs though, love them
>>
>>2206834
>>2206842
>>2206846
>>2206849
thanks for the posts. a lot of what you say sounds like a different language to me, but it gives me something to look up and learn. cheers.
>>
>>2206975
Sensitivity is an even bigger deal with smaller fish.
>>
>go to a local lake last weekend
>bass were everywhere, constantly hitting the water around me
>go again this weekend
>lake was completely dead, didn’t even get a nibble
Where did they all go?
Water was also surprisingly cold.
>>
>>2207139
Barometric pressure, temperature, bug hatches, cloud cover, etc. All of these and more can totally turn a bite on or off
>>
Any Torontofags here know what I have to do to catch a goddamned fish off the shore of Lake Ontario? I've been skunked 4 times in a row at various locations. Also what are some other good fishing spots in the GTA that aren't too polluted and smelly?
>>
>>2206723
I emailed you fren.. I'm trying some offshore jigging for flounder tomorrow morning. I'll post an update tomorrow afternoon
>>
>>2206632
>>
>>2206636
Jean-Claudes little brother. He tried as a action star and got laughed off the set. Look it up on Wikipedia cause I am to lazy to link. They wanted him to do a series of flips and pitches and his brothers movie and thought it was instruction on fishing techniques. It's actually pretty damn funny if you can find the outtakes on YouTube.
>>
>>2206718
Yooooo oki anon checking in. Glad they opened that shit back up. You been doing good. I've been back up East tearing catfish out of wateree.
>>
>>2207381
sent email and added on discord
>>
What's your thoughts on small hair jigs ? So far I have no success. I fish the same way I would fish a mini grub or trout magnet and they don't seem to be effective.
>>
>>2206748
I used uni for everything, if you are tying thick 50lb mono then use 5 turns, 10lb mono or braid use 8

I even use uni as a leader knot
>>
File: 1619045365136.jpg (69 KB, 1048x772)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
I took off the 4 days after Labor Day this week. Hadn't took a single day off all year until now, so I was basically fishing weekends only. Had an 8 day weekend basically and fished every single day. Caught 10 different species (largemouth, smallmouth, pumpkinseed, redbreast, green sunfish, bluegill, yellow perch, white perch, white crappie, and black crappie) at many different creeks, ponds, and lakes and it was fucking awesome.
Miss being a NEET and fishing all day. Biggest was about a 2 pound largemouth but a ton of small shit that was fun as fuck.
Highly recommend.
>>
File: KIMG0654.jpg (2.36 MB, 4160x2340)
2.36 MB
2.36 MB JPG
>>2207446
Nice! I'm eating fresh bluegill and fresh garden potatoes tonight.
>>
>>2206951
Telescoping rods are shite and 4 piece travel rods are actually pretty good.
>>2206975
Yeah no you want sensitivity
>>2207042
For sure, a lot of this info can be found on youtube. Look in to reading beaches, and consider buying a cast net as well. A kayak opens up options, too, it makes fishing bridges for sheeps head easier as an example, or you can use it to paddle out baits that are too big to cast like a whole bluefish.
>>2207437
What kind of hair? I usually go for marabou jigs below a certain size
>>2207446
Glad you had fun anon
>>
>>2207479
"Flu Flu" jigs. I believe they are marabou .
>>
Need a recommendation for a 9-10' graphite spinning rod for working spinners up to 1 oz, I went salmon fishing with a 10' fiberglass surf rod and it sucked ass. Prefer MH or H power, fast or mod-fast action. Price $100-$200 ish
>>
File: 20191111_220312.jpg (2.81 MB, 3264x2448)
2.81 MB
2.81 MB JPG
>>2207484
The shitty 1/16 ounce feather jigs at walmart? I've had luck with those but only tipped with live bait, I usually tie my own marabou jigs anymore though.
>>
>>2207492
I never seen them at walmart but yeah most big chains have them, cabela's, bass pro, scheels, sportman's warehouse, etc. What makes a feather jig shitty ? You can throw a discarded stump of a soft plastic out and it will catch fish, why are feathers so particular ?
>>
File: 20191210_200816.jpg (2.42 MB, 3264x2448)
2.42 MB
2.42 MB JPG
>>2207492
Usually they're not very durable and the hooks are made of cheap thin wire or the knot holding the feathers and shit in place comes un done
>>
>>2207270
I won't tell you my spots. Tell me what you're doing and where. Where is less important than rigs and techniques.
>>
>>2207523
I've been to thommy thompson, the port south of ashbridges bay (and the actual lake shore around the corner), and various spots around ontario place. I've tried:
> medium sized silver and blue jerkbaits
> brown rubber worm on a jighead (also tried just a hook and letting it slowly sink)
> white and red spinner

I don't even really know what I'm fishing for at this point. I did manage to catch a very tiny largemouth on a tiny rubber worm when I was going for sunfish but that doesn't count.
>>
>>2206601
Probably gonna go fish the flats this week. I get fucked every time though. I only catch saltcats, whiting or croakers. What am I doing wrong? I'm sort of lazy and just run a high-low rig with circle hooks and frozen shrimp. Would love to catch some reds, trout or sheepshead.
>>
>>2207557
while Sheepshead are opportunistic they are mostly eating barnacles and crabs off physical structure, not as likely to find they roaming the flats. Seatrout really love grass shrimp, if you can find an area that holds grass shrimp it will probably be your best bet. Reds are kinda like LMB in that yeah you can get them soaking bait but you are probably better off hucking a lure around.
>>
File: pc.jpg (264 KB, 1920x1080)
264 KB
264 KB JPG
>>2206601
Publix makes the best fishing bait for Florida.
>>
>>2207567
People using gourmet shit for fishing bait are crazy.
>>
>>2207570
I'm waiting will I get 1k Subs to my channel then i'm gonna go buy a $50 steak or piece of meat and go Shark fishing with it.
>>
File: 20210717_232111.jpg (1.4 MB, 2576x1932)
1.4 MB
1.4 MB JPG
>>2207484
>>2207492
>>2207501
>>2207496
Here are some jigs skid sold me that Ive caught PBs on. Nothing beats home made.
>>
File: 20210717_232008.jpg (1.12 MB, 2576x1932)
1.12 MB
1.12 MB JPG
>>2207573
>>
>>2207485
Savage gear makes some very nice spinning rods, not sure if they might be a little light for salmon fishing, on the other hand I'm sure they have one that is suited. I have a few of their rods and they are absolutely great compared to the shashimo/Abu ones I have previously owned
>>
>>2207446
I, too, took the week of labor day off and fished almost every day. I caught largemouth, smallmouth, various different sunfish, yellow perch, channel cats, freshwater drum (aka sheepshead), my first white crappie ever and motherfucking round gobies (baitstealing bastards). Biggest was a five pound drum.

Did have some heartbreak today. Had a Northern Pike hit on a rippin rap and I got him to shore. I was trying to net him and he jumped at the last moment and threw my hook. Had to be between 25 and 30 inches, not my biggest but I haven't caught one in years and years.
>>
>>2207573
Any advice on casting a fly rod? Call me a larping faggot if you want. I have never fly fished in my life and picked one up at
For 29.99 at academy to see if I could pick it up before a committed to buying better fly gear. Can't seem to get my flow right. I'm just a redneck cat fisherman.
>>
>>2207528
You're all fucked up. Ditch the spinner and rubber worm. There are some really good spots at Tommy but only at specific times of the year, and heat of summer ain't it. Go take a walk at the base of the credit or humber and investigate the people fishing the steelhead run. Also consider buying some live minnows until you know what you're doing. If you can't catch on a live minnow you haven't found fish.
>>
>>2207653
Watch a jewtube video and go practice on a pond
>>
>>2207680
I normally fish for pike and pickerel up north and only recently started trying my hand at fishing down here, so obviously you're right to suggest I don't know what I'm dong.

What artificial bait would you recommend? I thought fake worms would at least net me some large mouth. It's difficult for me to carry around live bait as I'm on my bike riding 30km back and forth with everything bouncing around in my pack. I will try that as well if I can find an opportunity, thanks for the tip.
>>
>>2207587
The Squad Coastal would probably do it, I could live with 8' but really want a 2 piece
>>
>>2207681
This. Mostly the second thing. Practice is the only way to git gud at anything.
>>
>>2207698
Get a rack and some bags for your bike, bro. They'll be a huge help. I run my errands like that when the weather is decent. I can even transport delicate things like eggs safely. Obviously minnows are going to be harder to transport this way than, say, live worms, because of the water, but they should survive a few hours in a sealed container secured to the rack, as long as you don't take your turns too sharp or brake too hard and end up springing a leak.
>>
Loaded up today, last weekend of the season for flounder. Hope to get some more tomorrow
>>
File: new_shill_volume_10.jpg (976 KB, 2006x2000)
976 KB
976 KB JPG
Loners Crew over at the /o/ auto sticker threads has included that fishing anime show you guys liked in his most recent showcase, if anyone cares
>>
>>2207884
I see Elma's foot
>>
>>2207891
Disgusting
>>
File: 20210912_153835.jpg (2.23 MB, 3264x2448)
2.23 MB
2.23 MB JPG
>>2207573
>>2207574
I recently made an order for bigger barbless jig hooks and have been playing with crawdads lately. I wish good quality jig heads werent so hard to track down, but these ones with dumbell eyes are 1.5 grams (a hair over 1/20 oz.) And could certainly be tied heavier. These are on an advertised size 8 hook but firehole tends to run a size larger so I'd call it a size 6 hook.
>>2207653
Watch the videos that orvis put out and practice in the back yard or park. Ideally practice where you know there arent any fish so you can focus on your cast.
>>
>>2206651
Just go with 30-40lb mono if you're trolling.
>>
>>2206651
Depends on the species, where I fish the Coho are super aggressive and they couldn't give a fuck about your leader. I run a 40lb mono leader and they just don't give a fuck. Chinook are less aggressive so I put a little more effort into presentation. Learn your species, or just ask some questions at your local tackle shop
>>
Looking to get my first setup for yellowtail/yellowfin. Any socal anglers have any recommendations?
Are level-wind reels better or no?
>>
>>2207988
conventional yes, level wind no seems to be the consensus
>>
File: image000001.jpg (147 KB, 1295x971)
147 KB
147 KB JPG
rivers are STACKED in michigan. god damn we had a good time this weekend. going again next weekend too.
>>
>>2208041
is that thing really edible? Looks like it's rotting while alive
>>
>>2208075
dirty hillbillies will say that they like them but I personally don't eat them once they hit the river. I will harvest a female for eggs and smoke the meat but I always let males go. I've seen people keep the fucking nastiest fish before and its really gross.
>>
File: 1631498928_1826947.jpg (256 KB, 1826x947)
256 KB
256 KB JPG
Gonna sabiki them and see what kind of dumb pier fish eat these monstrosities. I mean they would probably eat plan foil if I tied some to a hook.
>>
>>2208105
Very nice. Guarantee you'll catch fish
>>
>>2208081
Ha. That's kind of how I feel about upper slot red drum. They're more likely to have worms in them so I actually prefer the ones around 20 inches. Meanwhile the people next to me are keeping oyster toadfish and all kinds of other weird shit
>>
>>2208119
Lmao. I've never seen anyone keep a toad. How the fuck do you even clean one
>>
File: fish2.jpg (994 KB, 1512x2512)
994 KB
994 KB JPG
>>2206748
Hey boys I'm back. Went out saturday and caught about 10 fish and 2 today in the same creek. I also had a decent amount come off and a couple of them were bigs ones. I think I might not be setting the hook good enough because when I watch videos people yoink the pole back hard and I just forget to to that. I tried a couple different things out but I caught all my fish on a Strike King Bitsy Pond Minnow Lure, Sexy Shad, 1/8 Oz, and a brown rebel crickhopper. Any tips you can give me or lures I should try? Heres a couple pics of my fish. Caught this one yesterday and about a 10incher today. Anyone know what it is?
>>
File: fish.jpg (1.47 MB, 1512x2512)
1.47 MB
1.47 MB JPG
>>2208124
Heres my biggest fish of the weekend. Is this the same species as the small one?
>>
>>2207884
That BPS temple image got me.
>>
What is a good fly fishing method to start off with?
I read that nymphing is easier to start with, will a double nymph rig work okay with most rivers?
>>
>>2208138
Start with a wooly bugger or one nymph. You will tangle like crazy with two nymphs if you are a noob and want to kill yourself. Plus two nymph rigs snag a lot depending on where you fish and you will loose a lot of flies.
>>
>>2207988
Level winds are a no go for tuna. They can cause issues when the tuna runs and most reels that have level winds are graphite framed which is also not a good idea. For rods I am very happy with my seeker black steel graphite 270h-8 for 25# with any smaller conventional with ~250-300 yards of 50# spectra, another 30 yards of 25# mono and 5' of 25# fluoro especially when there's tuna. That rod has a really nice softer tip and the 8' length for lobbing sardines. I pretty much never get on a socal sportboat without that rod. After you've got a good 25# setup get a good 40# 2 speed setup, but that's more for bft. For flylining yft and yellowtail it will mostly be 25#. Granted my experience is just on sportboats so if you're on a private boat you can use a shorter rod.
>>
>>2208124
>>2208126
Your thumb covers a lot of that little fish, but it's possible that it's a small mouth bass, which is what your larger fish is. It's also possibly a large mouth bass.
>>
>>2206601
Why even wear the shorts?
>>
>>2208240
Pockets?
>>
>>2208244
They're just gonna slide down the second you put some weight in them.
>>
>>
>>2208245
Only niggers wear basketball shorts
>>
File: 20200816_053920.jpg (1.91 MB, 2560x1440)
1.91 MB
1.91 MB JPG
>>2206651
Spawing fish dont bite spawn sacks. Use a spinner or spoon.>>2208075

If you get one hooked in the mouth you most likely flossed it.
I use twelve lb mono without problems for kangs.
>>
File: 20210913_101438.jpg (129 KB, 914x382)
129 KB
129 KB JPG
>>2208352
literally wrong and snagger cope. git gud scrub.
>>
>>2208357
>>2208352
to clarify, yes they do take spinners or thundersticks no doubt. but saying they don't take spawn bags or skein in just plain lying. I took this fish on floating skein under a bobber on saturday morning. they bite. especially when they are spawning.
>>
>>2208192
Thanks, I'll definitely look into this.
Could you use the same #25 setup for rockfishing as well?
>>
>>2208317
bsb?
>>
>>2208192
>seeker black steel graphite 270h-8
this would be just for the 25# setup, not the 40# setup, right?
>>
>>2208124
>>2208126
your small one is a largemouth bass and your large one is a smallmouth bass
>>
You can't catch salmon once they start spawning. You fags should stop lying
>>
First carp, was a fun fight. He bit my bread in less than a foot of water and absolutely flipped out when I set the hook. He snapped my line right at the bank and I had to run in and grab him. I was surprised how hard he ran a few times
>>
>>2208389
Fun
>>
>>2208124
smallmouth bass
>>2208126
smallmouth bass
>>
File: 20210817_074143.jpg (1.21 MB, 1952x2919)
1.21 MB
1.21 MB JPG
>>2208388
>>2208388
come on up to the river. ill get you on one, friend.
>>
What is the difference between a glidebait and a wobbler?
>>
File: Snapchat-978553978.jpg (474 KB, 919x1920)
474 KB
474 KB JPG
Update on the redfin roundup:
I put 40 in my dad's 1 acre pond. The duckweed undid about 2 weeks of work and over 100 dollars in herbicide in like 3 days. It is once again covered in duckweed, albeit its a bit thinner than originally, but I'm sure it will be back to looking like it did before I touched it in another week. I am so fucking frustrated with this fucking duckweed. Anyway, I've been catching more redfin, probably around 75 total. Still none as big as the 10.5 inch that was my first (still at the taxidermist). Here's a little guy I caught in a shitty little branch the other day and released. I've put maybe 10 in the freezer, I look forward to trying them. They're supposed to be delicious.
>>
>>2208380
You could, but I use heavier, cheaper stuff for rockfish. A shorter 6-6.5' 30-50# rod with a high-speed jigmaster loaded with 65# braid straight to a swivel with a ~6' double dropper loop setup. I do the straight braid with no top shot because when you're >150ft down the sensitivity difference is night and day, even 10 yards of mono has enough stretch that you might not know you're bit. Personally I would keep them as separate setups. Sometimes you might be dropping g for reds and you see birds and bait working towards you or the skipper says he's metering a school of yellows or bonito moving through and you don't want to be stuck retying and missing out.
>>
>>2208385
yup, I haven't got my 40# setup dialed in well enough to recommend a blank, currently I'm using the okuma PCH-C-761H, and the action and all is good, but the handle is kinda skinny and my hand cramped up when I was catching bft and I was hesitant to set it on the rail under pressure, I have a fathom 25nld 2 speed on it. But for 25lb I just love that seeker rod.
>>
>>2208427
I love these updates
>>
>>2208427
Very cool looking fish, is that a pickerel?
>>
anyone have fished crayfish before?
>>
Went fly fishing over the weekend and I'm hooked (aye).
Looking for recs for a buy once cry once solid rod/reel outfit that's a decent kit I can grow into and will serve me and not feel the need to upgrade from down the line (aye).
The orvis clearwater seems like a solid pick.
I'm in SE Washington and will mostly be fishing rivers and streams and maybe some lakes for trout, bass, maybe some panfish. Looking at probably a 5wt 9' rod based on minimal research and no background in fly fishing.
Is it worth going up to the clearwater over something cheaper from TFO or Redington or whatever is available from Cabelas/Sportsmans Warehouse/etc.?
>>
>>2208245
What are hips?
>>
>>2208503
If you're looking at bass at all go for a 9' 6 weight. For a reel, redington behemoth 100% it's a solid reel with solid drag, everything you need, and nothing you don't. For a lime I'd say either get an airflo general purpose line or go to scientific anglers and get an aircel line. Pair that with an echo ion rod and you should be set to catch just about everything in your area. Pick up some polyleaders while you're shopping, too, they're for turning a normal line in to a sink tip in a hurry.
>>2206651
I use 14 pound mono as my standard for steelhead, idk what you consider light and heavy.
>>2208041
That has me exited for ohio
>>2208081
They're usually fine from the river if they're still silvery but when they start getting dark they get a little gamey.
>>2208138
I personally think stripping and streamers is easiest, it's the most like spin fishing and you can usually get away without even knowing what a mend is. Go buy bead head wooly buggers, tie them directly to the end of a 9' 2x (~10 pound) leader, Cast them at structure, and have fun. If it tangles you only have to fix a single fly and single leader instead of a tangled mess of bobbers, splitshot, and flies.
>>
File: 20210913_075247.jpg (3.64 MB, 4032x3024)
3.64 MB
3.64 MB JPG
Almost a keeper
>>
>>2208473
thanks for all the info. one more question: what reel do you have on the 25# setup?
>>
I GOT A BOAT!
messy room warning spend all my time /out/ can't be bothered cleaning
>>
File: IMG_20210913_145738545.jpg (2.82 MB, 4608x2182)
2.82 MB
2.82 MB JPG
>>2208580
Thing is fuckhueg for just me, bigger than I had expected. I can lay down in it and barely touched the top and bottom
>>
File: 20210609_122201.jpg (2.65 MB, 3264x2448)
2.65 MB
2.65 MB JPG
>>2208559
>stripping and streamers
Stripping and swinging* streamers
>>
>>2208577
Mine's a progear v22. It's a pretty rugged little reel from a company that used to make all metal penn clones. I like it, but it's definitely not as smooth as a daiwa, shimano or newer penn. The older ones have a cult following with some boomers. I might upgrade at a later time, but it was only $135 on ebay, small enough to palm, it has 25# of drag and all metal construction. You don't need 2 speed on anything lower than 40# imo.
>>
>>2208590
thanks anon
>>
File: 20210722_162024.jpg (4.01 MB, 4032x1816)
4.01 MB
4.01 MB JPG
>>2208582
Blessed fellow inflatable Chad, looks like it has loads of room and a pretty wide flat bottom
Love my inflatable and I take it where my canoes are unfeasible
It's always a compromise, but with the ammount of space you have there it could be cool

Wouldn't take it in the ocean ever and just on clear calm days on inland lakes
>>
>>2208633
Thanks homie I already took it out
Hard to tell from the pic but there's about 4ft of space past my foot and I'm laying down, thing is big af
>>
>>2208484
Yes, a redfin pickerel. Elusive little fish that lives in sorry little swamps, creeks, branches, and ditches
>>
>>2208482
I appreciate your appreciation lol
>>
>>2208427
If you want to be the duckweed, the best thing you can do is get a little surface agitation. Get a solar panel and wire it straight to a DC fountain pump, just spray water into the air over the pond.

The duckweed will eat shit shortly (at least in the agitated area) and then you can get some more submerged plants making oxygen.
>>
File: Attach0_20201211_180958.jpg (229 KB, 840x1728)
229 KB
229 KB JPG
>>2208572
Nice trout anon this one looks about the same size
>>
>>2208795
yea almost exactly! What'd you hook that one on? I was using a popping cork and a gulp shrimp. I caught a catfish with it right before. They were eating it like it was live bait. Bites left and right. Couldn't believe how well it worked.
>>
>>2208508
Something a waistband rests on?
>>
>>2208572
>>2208795
These are spotted seatrout right? Are they taxonomically trout?
>>
Anyone know how to rig one of these up?
Also looking for tips for catching brookies and lakers in a lake
I have experience catching brookies on the fly in rivers but don't really know how to use my fly rod on a lake
Bringing my light action spinner too, so any advice for that as well would be appreciated
>>
>>2208991
I'm from the other ocean, but they look pretty similar to white sea bass and corvina so I would guess they're closely related to croaker. Definitely not a trout.
>>
>>2208991
They're from the family Sciaenidae, same as drums and croakers.
>>
>>2208820
A gulp curly tail on a jig head, that was near a jetty. Gulp definitely is good for lots of species
>>
>>2207884
I would 100% put that "I Back the Dew" sticker on my car if I knew it wouldn't get my windshield bashed-in by some psychopath in a dodge ram
>>
>>2208992
Are you fishing from the shore or a boat? They will be in deeper, cooler parts of the water column this time of year so that's something to keep in mind.
>>
>>2208992
That's called a trolling weight, you tie your main line t0 the front end of it, then you connect a leader to the back of it. It's usually used with trolling flies and light weight spoons called Clark spoons.
>>
Anyone got a Lexa 3 or 400 and wana share thoughts? I'm thinking about putting one one on a medium tsunami finesse jigging rod
>>
File: 20210913_100138.jpg (4.26 MB, 4032x3024)
4.26 MB
4.26 MB JPG
Is this a baby red or a croaker? Spot on the tail makes me think its a red. Threw it back
>>
>>2209221
Looks like a baby red to me
>>
>>2209221
Baby red
>>
File: 1631656646_22421167.jpg (485 KB, 2242x1167)
485 KB
485 KB JPG
So being the retard I am, I bought some crosscut rabbit strips for hook trailer material instead of bucktails and tied these. I also only fish saltwater. I should be able to make them work on a c-rig right? Also one on a 1/8oz round jig head to cast on it's own somewhat.
>>
I'm poly coating a few rod handles. Anyone have experience with this? Curious how well it worked for others. Started losing some chunks of cork off my fish eagle and figured this might help preserve it
>>2209309
The strip trailers look good anon
>>
Whats the next logical step from an Abu promax baitcaster?
>>
>>2209328
slx, tatula ct, curado, tatula sv
>>
>>2209309
I don't see any reason they wouldn't work on a Carolina rig, but I'd probably run it like a teaser over a bucktail jig or even on a dropshot
>>
>>2209328
I like my SLX.
>>
>>2209448
>>2209328
I, too, have an slx and enjoy it.
>>
>>2209455
Mine is a 151HG.
>>
>>2209221
Little red. Spot on the tail is unmistakable.
>>
>>2209167

I have a Lexa 400 HD 5.1
that I mainly use for rockfish/lingcod on a graphite rod. Very comfortable handle, good drag, sorry I don’t have any useful info for finesse fishing.
>>
>>2209461
I'm not sure what exact model mine is I just know it's got 30 pound braid and left hand retrieve
>>
Gonna put the kayak in on thursday. Plan is to first target some bridge pilings for sheepshead and then depending on how that goes, go a little further into some marsh entry points and try for flounder. Any suggestions on rigs/hooks etc?
>>
>>2209561
Live shrimp
>>
>>2209561
1/0 heavy wire circle hook with just enough lead over top of it to get it down and keep it down with shrimp or fiddler crabs for sheepshead; bucktails and gulp alive saltwater curly tails for flounder
>>
>>2209567
>>2209566
sweet thanks. I've hard mixed things about circle hooks for sheeps because of their teeth/mouth situation. Have you had luck with them?
>>
>>2209566
Never fails. Live shrimp is that last resort if nothing else takes for me. Almost feels like cheating lol
>>
is it normal for people who fish to harass freshwater birds? idiot on the canal cast his line right at an adult coot while its partner and offspring were next to it, thus spooking them. he was smiling while doing it
>>
>>2209706
man, FUCK birds
>>
>>2209706
people who fish are generally trashy
>>
File: Baby fish doo doo.jpg (2.23 MB, 4032x2268)
2.23 MB
2.23 MB JPG
Went fishing in the remnants of the pond at mission trails yesterday for the first time with my hipster microfishing setup. Got about 15 of these babies, kind of frustrating to watch the little bass mouth the bait and not get a hookup.
>>
File: 20210915_070718.jpg (2.61 MB, 4032x2268)
2.61 MB
2.61 MB JPG
>>2209718
The hooks I'm using
>>
>>2209526
Mines leftie too. I'm not sure why wrong hand retrieve baitcasters are the popular ones.
>>2209485
I think I may pull the trigger today, thanks anon. Has it been durable in the salt for you?
>>
File: 20210911_131947.jpg (4.85 MB, 5489x5489)
4.85 MB
4.85 MB JPG
>>2209570
I've definitely had luck with circle hooks and live shrimp. Pic related, 13 inch sheepshead and a bunch of mangrove snapper from last weekend
>>
>>2209758
Damn if that doesn't look delicious. Do mangrove freeze well? I know sheepshead do. Certainly you didn't cook all that meat at once...
>>
>>2209761
As a matter of fact, all of them were turned into delicious fish tacos the following night. I didn't eat them all by myself, don't worry. Not sure if they freeze well or not.
>>
>>2209769
Delicious
>>
>>2209718
I caught a 2-3 inch sewer bass on a tanago over the weekend. I really had to finesse the hook set.
>>
>>2209779
Ya, it was trickier than I thought it was gonna be, except for those little panfish that slam it.
>>
File: 1631202404854.jpg (143 KB, 915x1559)
143 KB
143 KB JPG
>>2209744
What do you do when you drop one
>>
>>2209754

yeah I’ve landed schoolie tuna with it
>>
File: 20210906_233015.jpg (2.02 MB, 4032x1816)
2.02 MB
2.02 MB JPG
>>2206601
I'll see you kids at the pier later today. Hopefully it doesn't rain.
>>
>>2209790
I pretie them at home. They're eyeless and I'm using 7x tippet so no way in hell am I tying them outdoors. I went all in with the weeb setup, you get this tiny little telescopic rod with a piece of cloth on the end then you tie a rig up with 4lb fluoro and then you tie the tippet and hook to that
>>
Anyone have any rigs they recommend for rock fishing from shore, I mostly do hi low rigs baited with with shrimp or squid, or shrimp flies. I mostly catch perch or blues, sometimes a Cab or greenling. What would you guys recommend for bigger fish
>>
>>2209806
4.8"+ swing impacts
>>
>>2209806
Weedless jig heads with the size dependent on the water depth. Another thing I've been trying out with decent success on the sport boats is a simple sliding egg sinker and a strip of squid. Just chuck it out there and let it slowly sink down then retrieve it.
>>
My neighbour just taught me how to fish on the grass in front of my place. I found a rod in the bin at work and it turns out it's really light and in perfect condition.
I'm in bongland and using the pastebin, but I'm retarded. I'll be fishing on a beach, so saltwater. What's the difference between predator and bait fishing? I just want to catch something for myself.
>>
>>2209830
Forgot to say, I'm asking this because I only got the rod itself, so I need to buy everything else.
>>
>>2209830
Post the model number or specs listed on the rod, or a picture of it? That will dictate what reel you should buy, and line. Idk shit about surf fishing techniques there
>>
>>2209840
All it says is Steadfast 2XL Silver Surf Beach/Pier 3.00m SF1035
He did put his reel in my rod, but maybe the pastebin has a better one.
>>
>>2209845
Well that's good, it's definitely a surf rod. I'd say use what you got, does it have line on it? If not I'd say probably 30lb braided line with a good length of mono leader. Get some surf bait rigs and pyramid sinkers, and/or some lures to match whatever runs there like mackerel. You'll probably have the most luck with soaking shrimp, chunks of baitfish, or squid strips.
>>
>>2209850
Thanks. There's no line on it, not even a reel. I'll follow your advice and take the bong pastebin into consideration too.
My neighbour and a coworker said they usually get bass and mackerel. I'm in the southeast of England.
>>
>>2209845
>He did put his reel in my rod, but maybe the pastebin has a better one.
>>2209853
>Thanks. There's no line on it, not even a reel.
Huh?
>>
>>2209854
My neighbour took the reel out of his rod and put it on my rod.
>>
>>2209855
Well I'm still confused as to whether you have one or not. If not, get a 3000 or 4000 size spinning reel from daiwa or Shimano.
>>
>>2209857
Thanks. No, I don't have one. I only borrowed his in order to practice.
>>
Went to a Wildlife Management Area today and fished all up in the swamps (95%was dried up tho). Caught 6 fliers and 20 or so warmouth too small to keep.. Reminder that if you don't have snakeboots, you're playing an outrageously dangerous game.
>>
>>2209881
Agkistrodon piscivorus
>>
File: 20210910_150719.jpg (2.95 MB, 4032x3024)
2.95 MB
2.95 MB JPG
>>2209885
Ding ding ding
I see them all the time. Granted, I'd sometime have a hard time telling such a cottonmouth from a regular nonvenomous watersnake. This too is a cottonmouth I believe.
>>
>>2209889
that's Nerodia taxispilota I think. Definitely Nerodia
>>
>>2209902
>Nerodia taxispilota
THIS IS AMERICA WE SPEAK ENGLISH HERE SON
>>
>>2209906
Brown water snake
>>
>>2209909
I think a saw one of those in my toilet today
>>
My pier broke, no bonito fishing. Also it probably shouldn't be my pier with all the restrictions it has. Back to the surf.
>>
>>2209859
>>2209857
Hold up
Post pics of the rod, we need to find out if it's conventional or spinning before we start reccomending random reels to slap on there.
>>
>>2209924
I looked it up and found a cheapo spinning rod
>>
>>2209932
I googled it and got naught maybe it's cause I'm in the states
>>
File: 20200811_215541.jpg (2.78 MB, 4032x3024)
2.78 MB
2.78 MB JPG
>>2209889
Most of the venomous snakes have a common face compared to nonvenomous snakes. Either way when in doubt don't fuck with it. and you should always wear combat boots and pants when fishing around places with tall grass or dirty water like some canals and ponds and lakes.
>>
>>2209924
It's the same as this one.
https://www.sumra.net/p/2150909000/197344
If people here are not sure then maybe I'll just get the same as my neighbour or colleague.
>>
>>2209965
Aye yeah you're going to want a 4000 size or bigger spinning reel. Penn is solid, daiwa is solid, shimano is solid. I caught pic related on a 10' surf rod and a 6000 size daiwa crossfire reel some time ago. The crossfire is cheap and should last you a season or two, and by then you'll have either quit or decided you want to upgrade.
>>
>>2209969
Sick catch, congrats. And thanks on the advice. I'll talk to my colleague about it to see what he thinks, since he's been fishing for quite a few years. He also hunts deer and other stuff, so I'll go with him soon to see if I like it. If so, I'll try to get a loicense.
I don't plan on quitting. Free stuff is too good and I can give supermarkets the middle finger. I spend 1 hour picking up berries 2 days in a row. Most people can't be bothered and prefer to buy them, despite them being everywhere around here.
>>
>>2209971
Ideally try to spend 60 pounds or more for a good reel if you're sure you'll stick with it; the only thing that would keep a $60 reel from lasting 5 years of hard use is a lack of maintainance or sudden catastrophic failure from abuse (locking the drag out with too heavy of line and snapping off the reel seat, or stepping on it I would consider abuse; putting it away wet with sea water and never changing the grease would be neglect)
>>
>>2209157
Probably both, I'm in Ontario and that's trout closer weekend
There were quite a few near the surface last year around this time at the same lake and it's pretty deep too
>>
learned how to tie a dropper knot and a surgeons knot today. Made my own dropper rig for sheepshead that I'm gonna try out tomorrow.
>>
>>2210150
Congrats anon good luck
>>
>>2209984
Got it, thanks. I will research about all those things before buying anything, just so I don't regret it afterwards.
>>
>>2210150
Just an FYI, but a spider hitch is pretty much superior to a dropper loop in every way. It's easier, stronger and faster to tie.
>>
>>2210270
I didn't know Werf posted here
>>
File: IMG_20210916_163751.jpg (3.58 MB, 4640x3472)
3.58 MB
3.58 MB JPG
its over
maybe ill add some moar resin to the bottom while its there
>>
>be me
>moving to Lake Tahoe
>hear rumors of tessie the lake monster
>hear theory it's a giant sturgeon illegally dumped in lake
>me with a lot of free time and living a block away from the lake buys 500$ massive reel and pole
>let's get that bitch
>>
>>2210473
Good luck
>>
I was surprised how small thread spools where and how long they last.
>>
Can anyone recommend a budget fly fishing setup? Bonus points if accessible in the UK
>>
>>2210524
What species? Pike? Seabass or trout?
I'm in the UK but fly fishing is the one thing I'm not too topped up on, but I always see fly fishing reels going on ebay for cheap. It might be funner, cheaper and better to make a shopping list rather than buy a 'kit'
>>
>>2210536
Sea trout would be amazing if I could find them but mainly stocked rainbow trout to learn at my local lake first.
>>
File: 20210916_120750.jpg (4.43 MB, 4032x3024)
4.43 MB
4.43 MB JPG
>>2210196
Bite was incredible today. Mangrove snapper was barely legal but I gut hooked him so I ate him
>>
>>2210273
>>2210270
kek, werf should make his own 4chan fishing general
>>
File: 20210916_092815.jpg (2.53 MB, 4032x3024)
2.53 MB
2.53 MB JPG
>>2210572
Also caught a baby sheepshead
>>
>>2210574
And 2 pompano. Was the best day fishing I've had in years. Found a school of mangrove snappers feeding on some bait fish by an oyster bed. Went through all my shrimp hooking them. Probably best tasting fish I've had in a long time
>>
File: 20210916_093801.jpg (2.93 MB, 4032x3024)
2.93 MB
2.93 MB JPG
>>2210575
>>
>>2210574
That's a spadefish
>>
>>2210583
Oh shoot youre right. Thank you!
>>
>>2210588
You're welcome anon. Looks like a great day of kayak fishing. I'm thinking about picking one up myself
>>
>>2210473
good luck ! !
>>
>>2210573
I don't know who werf is =/
>>
File: 1631822751_2010971.jpg (244 KB, 2010x971)
244 KB
244 KB JPG
SDbro, Gamboa in the south bay had spins when I was there a few months ago. Their shop is pretty bare bones but worth a look if you're in the neighborhood or give them a call.
>>
Getting an Okuma conventional rod similar to this except the line rating is 20-40 not 20-30. Want to use it for half-day rock fishing mostly.
How come the lure rating is not listed? And how can I figure out the lure rating for a rod like this?
>>
>>2210622
I don't think conventional rods typically come with lure ratings.
>>
Is there anime stuff on the fishing scene? Not just stickers you can put in your rod, but other things too.
>>
>>2210629
onaholes?
>>
>>2210629
ever heard of sushi? very anime-relevant
>>
>>2210539
Sea trout fantastic!! And the odd mackerel and seabass. A fantastic choice my boy.

Have a poke around forums and Facebook groups and see what type of fly rod/reel/line people reccomend

Fly tying is a lot of fun too, I had mackerel this morning on flies I tied myself (bombarda and lure rod though)
>>
>>2210572
Those should taste great. Was the flounder on that dropper rig?
>>2210574
That's actually a spade fish but still a nice catch.
>>2210576
Pompano are awesome fish
>>
>>2210576
Man I can't wait to buy a kayak
>>
File: 20210916_115046.jpg (4.91 MB, 4032x3024)
4.91 MB
4.91 MB JPG
>>2210687
So something wrapped by dropper rig around a bridge piling covered on oysters and barnacles and broke me off. I just threw a barrel weight on my main line and tied on a circle hook. Was totally surprised when I hooked him because I was fishing that snapper school.

>>2210688
This is what I have. The best thing about it is the weight and price. Its super easy to put on the roof of my car. It fit fine on my old 2012 passat and even better on my 2018 rogue. Make sure you include pads/straps or a kayak rack as well as a paddle in your budget. I also wish I could stand from my kayak. I suppose you could but its def not very stable. Another thing to consider is a pedal drive. I really wish I had one and it makes casting in current and staying in place so much easier. No matter how organized you are, when you land a fish there's never enough room to manage it lol. One thing to consider is what/how you plan to fish. If you're gonna be fishing in current, really consider saving up for the paddle drive. If you don't mind drifting, wedging yourself into pilings, using the kayak to get to new places from which to wade cast/throw from shore, , or sketchy anchoring regular paddle is fine.

I think my next move is saving up for a kayak that has pedal drive capability or a john boat of some sort.

Just some things I wish I'd known before buying mine. I do love it though and it creates a whole new world to explore and get frustrated/sweaty/skunked/eaten by bugs in.
>>
>>2210616
East county bait and tackle keeps a healthy stock of majorcraft stuff.
>>
>>2210622
For rock fishing the lure ratings would be useless anyway. You're just dropping 6-20oz of lead to the bottom unless you're doing fancy vertical jigging
>>
>>2210616
>>2210781
Thanks friends, I’ll check them out
>>
>>2210782
makes sense then, thanks
>>
Dead thread. Post fish
>>
>>2211166
I haven't even fish since early July.
>>
>>2211166
>doesn't post fish
>>
File: file.png (35 KB, 568x377)
35 KB
35 KB PNG
>>2211166
too hot to fish rn, I'll poast some fish when the water temp is sub 60F
>>
File: DSCN0298_zpsb466115d.jpg (83 KB, 1024x768)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
Posting fish
>>
File: 0917211320_resize_88.jpg (248 KB, 600x450)
248 KB
248 KB JPG
holy shit
>be fly fishing off of bridge over canal
>hook into 9” perch
>as I'm about to reel it in I see the biggest large mouth bass I've ever seen
>easily 20" and 5+ lb
>it swallows the entire perch like it's nothing
>now I'm fighting this giant bass that swallowed my fish
>fight it for a minute or so before it spits up my perch and swims off
>picrel is said perch
What's your best "one that got away" story?
>>
>>2211194
I've had that happen a few times with much smaller perch and much smaller bass. I usually try a hero Hooksett to break it out of the perch into the bass. Done it a few times.
>>
File: 00 (2).jpg (77 KB, 960x720)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
>>2210473
macinaw trout there no dinos.
better fishing at donner or in the yuba river
>>
>>2211194
I was watching this video of these guys fishing for mangrove snappers off of bridge rock pilings using live minnows. Dolphins show up, literally wait for the mangrove snappers to get hooked and then steal the whole damn fish and take all the line off of their reels. Happened like 6 times.
>>
>>2211168
Sorry
>>
Fished off shelter island today
tried some vertical jigging (yo-yoing?)
and caught a couple sandies.
never tried it before so this feels like an accomplishment.
No bonito or surface activity though.
>>
ive been fishing for a couple months now for pike, perch and zander, but always from the banks. tomorroe ill be renting a little boat for the first time, on a decent sized lake and canals attached to it. ive never fished so far from banks, how do i know where to fish? we'll be using 4 rods. should we troll? or just cast out around us and keep going to a new spot? how do i determine what a good spot is, theres not going to be a sensor.
>>
>>2211322
Are there depth charts for your lake? Drop offs are generally good fishing areas.
>>
>>2211334
ill check tomorrow morning and ill post here if i find any, thanks
>>
>>2211237
Yoyo jigging is a specific method where you drop the jig to the bottom and burn it up as fast as you can.
>>
>>2206637
Hows Kalamazoo Kevin?? Also fuck Skeet Reese, that whiney faggot
>>
>>2206667
Its an image generated with GAN technology, its not even a real person. Notice hoe the face and neck are a different skin tone that stomach and tits, and how the hand is fake as fuck looking and so is the fish. Most the people you see online anymore arent even fucking real, theyre computer generated. Go to thispersondoesnotexist.com to see what AI can do
>>
>>2211322
>>2211334
there doesnt seem to be a depth map. there might be a fish finder that i can rent for some extra costs though, would it be worth it? gona be on the water for like 7 hours.
>>
BOOOOOOOOOOOBAAAAA!
TIME TO COOOOM!
>>
Surf casting in the south of Spain makes me sad. I have some friends that just quit because the sea is just fucking empty.
I might try spinning or getting a kayak.
>>
File: 20210917_134225.jpg (1.8 MB, 4032x3024)
1.8 MB
1.8 MB JPG
At least 5 redfin pickerel and 1 flier in this picture. I also saw catfish lazily swimming on the surface of this large ditch but couldn't fit them in the shot. See how many fish you can spot!
>>
>>2207653
Check out the Mad River outfitters shewtube videos.
>>
>>2211638
I only see 4 pickerel
>>
I tied some leader to a rope and put a split shot sinker and circle hook on it and cast it out with a piece cut mullet and caught a sail cat. Pulling a fish in via rope is pretty satisfying.
>>
>>2211744
Now catch a goliath grouper with a rope
>>
>>2211749
That sounds fucking cool. I'll try it when I find a new jewfish hole
>>
>>2211749
Buddy of mine scuba dives a lot and spearfishes and a couple years ago he speared a fish, grabbed it off the spear, and a nearby goliath grouper decided it wanted the fish he caught. The grouper grabbed the fish in his hand plus half of his arm and he was trying to keep the fish for a few seconds until he realized that grouper was taking him on a ride and he gave up.
>>
File: 1631817533029.jpg (77 KB, 640x374)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
>>
File: 20210918_124047.jpg (3.06 MB, 4000x3000)
3.06 MB
3.06 MB JPG
I just can't get these brookies to hit a minnow plug. They love trout magnets and will hit spinners (a minnow imitation) but won't touch a sinking minnow plug.
>>
File: 20210918_124630.jpg (3.15 MB, 4000x3000)
3.15 MB
3.15 MB JPG
There's definitely minnow forage in these creeks too, I see these baitfish with the black stripe as well as shiners in here.
>>
>>2209969
that is a lot of scallops. Somebody get the cookie cutter ready
>>
File: 20210918_105903.jpg (4.76 MB, 4517x4339)
4.76 MB
4.76 MB JPG
Well gentlemen not much luck today. Caught a small catfish and a stingray. Think I am going to give this spot a break.

Wife and I are going to the beach tomorrow so will try surf fishing.
>>
Wendsday the wife and I went to Smyrma Dunes park with the dog. Took a pole and some frozen sandfleas but never got around to fishing. Still kicking myself over that decision but wqs having to much fun with the wife and dog.

Definitely going back to fish there.
>>
>>2211915
Smyrna*
>>
File: newnew.jpg (728 KB, 1638x1638)
728 KB
728 KB JPG
I swear I have enough now....
Shimano Compre, stradic 3000, tsunami 6'6mh jigging rod
Im trying this slow pitch jigging rod with a 300 size baitcaster, it just hasn't arrived yet.
>>
>>2211915
that place was fucking awesome until they rebuilt the old pier.
>>
File: IMG_04051.jpg (180 KB, 800x600)
180 KB
180 KB JPG
>>2211998
This was my third time there. Went twice in 2018, caught a few snappers and some sheepshead from the pier.

Which old pier? The fishing one they have now near the coast guard station? Just curious want to fish this area some more.
>>
>>2212039
yeah, that pier near the coast guard station didn't used to be there. It's a rebuild, I don't remember which year exactly, but before that pier existed (right in the sweet spot) there was a drop-off and it made for prime redfish taking. Now it's more sheepies and gray snapper.
>>
File: 20210902_132835.jpg (2.9 MB, 4771x3872)
2.9 MB
2.9 MB JPG
>>2212045
Ah ok thanks anon I know exactly where you are talking about.

We went around 500-600ft north of there at the second pet access. Nice beach access to the inlet, lots of mullet running. Going back when I don't have to look after the wife and dog.
>>
Help me guys, I don't have any friends or family but want to learn to fish as a hobby. I have all the stuff and know how to tie knots, I've been out like 6 times and haven't caught a fucking thing. Is there a bass fishing for dummies? I don't know what I'm doing wrong
>>
>>2212053
It's a nice area for sure, I've caught a little bit of everything there.
>>
>>2212084
Ask some locals, everywhere is different. If you're brand new, try a hook and worm under a bobber, you'll catch fish.
>>
>>2212094
I don't have any friends to ask. Hook & worm under bobber is what I've been doing, I spent 6 hours yesterday with a hook and worm under a bobber :(
>>
>>2212095
By locals I meant other fisherman on the body of water or in a tackle store. If you aren't catching after 10 minutes pick up and move spots
>>
>>2212084
Fucking Bass. Go every day to different areas and try different tactics. Get different colored worms, top waters, crank baits and find what works during which conditions. It helps to keep a journal. So write down the weather conditions and what you were casting and if that produced any results. It's trial and error, plus you'll learn more if you keep going on your own.
>>
>>2212095
Also try fishing around structure and always moving around and adding weights and fishing deeper when it's hot, also the best times are dawn and dusk
>>
>>2212084
Maybe the fish are near the bottom. Try soaking a night crawler on a Carolina rig.
Change spots if you don’t get bites after 20min or so. I would use a fresh worm or piece of worm for each spot.
>>
File: 20210916_125723.jpg (3.11 MB, 3447x1739)
3.11 MB
3.11 MB JPG
Am I the only one here who likes to eat smallmouth?
>>
File: 20210916_190515.jpg (2.44 MB, 2268x4032)
2.44 MB
2.44 MB JPG
>>2212148
soaked in basedsauce, ginger and brown sugar for a few hours then smoked over hickory.
>>
>>2212148
Smallmouth are decent table fare, but I prefer Northerns, Crappie, Perch, Walleye, and Bluegills to them.
>>
>>2212148
If it walks, crawls, flies, or swims, I'll smoke it
>>
>>2212172
I just moved to a spot where I can catch walleye, tasted great. only got 1 so far but in spring i should be able to get lots more
>>
>>2212175
Based smoker-anon. Got any smoker horror stories?
>>
>>2212148
I do occasionally
>>
>>2211901
Post some updates of your surf fishing anon
Try soaking shrimp and I guarantee you'll catch SOMETHING
>>
>>2206601
Anyone have any good recommendation on what kind of braid to use for surf fishing? Fishing cut mullet for (hopefully) bull reds or sharks. Using a 9 ft rod w a 6000 reel.
>>
>>2212222
Braid is for fishing near structure. Use monofilament.
>>
>>2212223
You sure? I use braid for salt inshore. What kind of mono do you use?
>>
>>2212222
40 or 50lb. Use a healthy mono leader for absorbing the casting forces. Don't listen to the retard, braid is great in the surf.
>>
>>2212229
Thats what i thought. I use 50 lb Saiko Pro fluoro leader.
>>
>>2212229
It's unnecessary for surf fishing. What do you need it for in the surf?
>>2212227
I use Ande mono. Cheaper than braid and easier to manage.
>>
>>2212223
I use braid on everything from microfishing to tuna. Its better for sensitivity, capacity and casting distance.
>>
NEW
>>2212274
>>2212274
>>2212274
>>2212274
>>
>>2206601
>live in germany
>want to go fishing
>mate do you have a lisence?
>actually yes because my uncle pushed me to do it back when i was 14 (ofc it costs 300€ do renew it, but this time for life)
>want to go to our wateres. you know seas, rivers
>mate.... all of the waters in germany are leased or owned
>need to enter a club or buy overpriced day tickets for not-club-members
>they have a contigent of tickets. is it exhausted you can't buy a one
>season is from frist of may to 31. september
>everything is bought off
>can't go fishing
Germany is a fucking joke.
Especially the south.
In the east (im Osten) and in the north (bei den Fischköpfen) it is better.

/blog
>>
File: 20210918_193315.jpg (4.58 MB, 4624x3468)
4.58 MB
4.58 MB JPG
Just gonna post yesterday's catch
>>
File: 20210918_200256.jpg (4.8 MB, 4624x3468)
4.8 MB
4.8 MB JPG
>>2212362
>>
Can someone help me please, I am in the UK. Been out around ten times in the past two weeks and can only seem to catch Pollack (about 15). I want to catch mackerel.
Using 21-28g silver spinners or dexter wedges, 8ft spinning rod, yellow 20lb braid, 10lb mono leader, low rod tip jigging motion left and right 4-6 inches or bicycle motion with the rod tip high. I am waiting varying amounts of time before retrieve. Fishing mostly around the rocks, others are catching Mackerel there.
>>
>>2212407
I'll answer in the new thread
>>
>>2212230
I'd use mono for surf casting since it has more stretch, use at least like 10+ feet of it too
>>
>>2212461
Thanks, anon. Will do.
>>
>>2212277
I know the feeling. Don't have the license yet but will soon, and then who knows if I ever will figure out the legal bs, let alone the techniqes since I'm new to it all. I'm just glad I'm not in bayern
>>
>>2206601
Interesting thread I will read it thanks.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.