[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 27 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

[Advertise on 4chan]

has anyone tried this thing? opinions? I saw a review from back in early 2020 where the reviewer mentioned that the tarp was leaking, but that was something the manufacturer was looking to fix so it might not be a problem anymore. it looks convenient apart from the weight, but almost 400 USD is a lot.
>>
>>2202131
I don't get it, it's just another tent?
>>
>>2202137
you can put it in the trees
>>
>>2202150
Isn't the point of a hammock that you save weight because you don't need all the tent parts?
>>
>>2202151
it isn't a hammock it's a tent you can put in the trees. the point is that you can sleep like in a bed except it also sways in the wind
>>
>>2202153
I mean not my preference but go ahead.
>>
>>2202131
Looks weird.
Is this meant to hang in the trees?
>>
>>2202153
>it isn't a hammock
>it's a tent you can put in the trees
>>
>>2202303
Putting a hammock on the ground doesn't make it a tent either
>>
this thing also looks pretty cool but is even more expensive
>>
>>2202488
It makes it a bivvy- which is a lightweight tent.
I think it does.
>>
>>2202522
>It makes it a bivvy- which is a lightweight tent.
no it doesn't, it makes it a waterproof sleeping surface at best
>>
>>2202523
That's what my bivvy is. Waterproof bottom, mesh top. Bare minimum.
My hammock is also that- maybe not waterproof on bottom, but similar build
>>
>>2202517
Hiked past some people car camping in one of these. They had loud music playing and had trampled over a bunch of chanterelles.
>>
>>2202131
Bears call that a piñata
>>
>>2203021
imagine being this much of a pussy
>>
>>2202984
reminds of waterbeds, horrible.
>>
>>2202131
Not the be like the other /out/ists, but what's the point of this?
>tent
Great for setting up more of a camp. You get protection from the elements and an cozy indoors environment for you and your gear, at the expense of the time required to pitch it, pack weight and pack volume. Might require additional gear to be nice.
>hammock
Great for a more temporary approach to get some rest. Set it up basically anywhere under the tree line in a minute and sleep comfortably within five. Positives includes low pack weight and low pack volume, negatives includes less protection from the elements. Might also require additional gear to be nice.

Where does the tree tent slot in and why? It just seems like it would take more time to put up than a hammack, while offering less wind protection than a tent.
>>
>>2203389
If they made a pop-up tree tent it'd be the perfect middle imo. Take out of bag, pops up, secure on trees just like hammock and tighten.
Climb in snooze.

Has potential to be super small in this config, desu.
>>
>>2202151
Hammocks don’t weigh any less than a really light tent. The idea behind a hammock is comfort and versatility in heavily forested or jungle areas.

OP’s pic is just a complete bridge hammock setup rather than a more common gathered end.
>>
>>2203394
>tree ten goes pop-up
>doesn't want to pop-down again
>*sounds of glassfiber breaking, cursing*
No thank you.
>>
>>2203389
>Where does the tree tent slot in and why?
more comfortable than a regular hammock or a regular tent (lying flat + swaying in the air)

can be set up in the trees if the ground is not even or is muddy or rocky or whatever. can be set up on the ground if you don't find appropriate trees

tarp can be hooked onto the sides to effectively cover for the wind
>>
File: 20210906_170655 copy.jpg (525 KB, 998x1008)
525 KB
525 KB JPG
>>2203398
>Hammocks don’t weigh any less than a really light tent
My hammock, including bug net, straps and some carbiners weight under just around a kilogram (about 3 burgers in American measurments). I'm sure you can find a tent about as light, but the hammock, straps and carbiners cost me a whole twenty dollar bill and have served me for 2 years.
>>
>>2203407
>can be set up on the ground
If this is true then yeah, I can see the appeal. Not for me though, it all seems a bit like solving a imaginary problem and a bit of the typical gear faggotry that is 99% of /out/ nowadays.
>>
>>2203412
>what is the tree line
>>
>>2203426
Something that 99% of the people on this board don't go above. Next question.
>>
>>2203434
what if I'm the 1%?
>>
>>2203399
Why wouldn't it pop down? What kind of shitty design are you imagining?
>>
>>2202153
> it's a tent you can put in the trees.
So, a portaledge, but cheaper and you can’t use it for climbing? Seems like it solves a problem no one has.
>>2203426
>what is the tree line
Generally, high up with a long, steep way towards it, so you gonna hate lugging this thing around.
But that’s probably and issue on any multi day outing, but I guess people that walk more than 10 meters from their car are not the target audience for this contraption.
>>
>>2203426
Now we're like three people talking to each other so I'm not sure what you mean. Please explain to me how a tree tent will help you when camping above the tree line compared to a regular tent. Is the sole appeal f a tree tent that you have a two-in-one system?
>>
>>2203445
>So, a portaledge
low IQ comment
>>
>>2202131
Spend the money you would on this on a MSR Hubba Hubba 2p 3s tent.
>>
>>2203450
also the part about it being cleaner and comfier as already stated
>>
File: 1614870474685.jpg (10 KB, 274x274)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>2202984
I hate this
>I love nature & camping
>blares music
>>
>>2203454
Ok, enlighten me. What makes my comment low IQ?
>>
>>2203507
it's not a portaledge
>>
>>2203516
Gee, really? Wouldn’t have figured out that one, hadn’t you told me...(ignoring the fact that I stated just that in my low IQ post, but reading is hard).
>>
>>2203530
would you also say that a hammock is useless because it is cheap and cannot be used for climbing? because that's essentially what you said.
>>
>>2203564
A hammock is cheap and light and CAN be used for climbing. That's what they did in the olden days, before the portaledge got invented, and some still use them.
The contraption in the OP is neither cheap, nor light and unlike a hammock, it can't be used for climbing and it also seems like a worse tent.
So what is it for?
>>
>>2203621
why do you ask something that was already answered?
>>
>>2202517
fuck that looks nice, just needs to be a little bit wider, I need 30" width minimum for 1 man setup. All my shit got stolen last year and I'm replacing everything. I want a jack of all trades ultralux sleep system for 12lbs or less, with durable gear and very few fragile ultralight parts, and a 5.5lb tent hammock would be perfect, I'm curently at 14-16lb with either tent or hammock, but both at 12 would be awesome

I used to have picrel and a 2.5" air mattress that was the exact same dimensions as the cot and it was a dream at 7lbs + sleeping bags/liners
>>
>>2203409
You need to add the weight of a big tarp to make the comparison stand.
>>
Oh boy... more parts to fail
>>
>>2202131
I have one, it arrived not long ago. Over the next couple weeks I'll try it /out/ and let you know.
>>
File: 1628894047156.jpg (37 KB, 500x604)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>2203669
if it was heavier they might not have been able to steal it
>>
>>2202524
So a hammock is a bevy you can put in the trees?
>>
>>2204710
Yes.
>>
File: hammock.jpg (42 KB, 556x433)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>2202150
So a modernized take on the old USGI jungle hammock.
>>
>>2204718
I think this one is the new official milspec version
>>
File: file.png (4.12 MB, 1500x1000)
4.12 MB
4.12 MB PNG
>>2204718
>>2205114
I'm gonna try hammocking next year, but I'm wondering, with such tarps not completely covering the bottom, wouldn't rain combined with high wind in the wrong direction soak the bottom of the hammock?
>>
>>2205948
Short answer: No.

Long answer: The tarp is set at whatever angle by you when you hang it. If it's nice weather, you tie it closer to horizontal to let the breeze in and see around you. If you know rain is blowing in, you stake the tarp down like a pup tent.
In a forest, you don't get the free space to have wind blow rain sideways like you would in the open, and even if it did, it'd have to come under the longest axis of the tarp, and your hammock is set back from those ends.

It's nice and dry and depending on your hammock, it might even pack up easier than a tent after a rain. (just disconnect the rain fly and pack the dry hammock up, or if you have a hennesy, unhook the fly and roll those snake skins down, etc...)
I've never woken up wet in a hammock. We've probably all woken up wet in a tent.
>>
>>2205948
For me wind was more of an issue since the wind can get around/under you so generally run cooler than being in a tent. Froze my ass off one trip cause of windchill...never again
>>
>>2202131
>>2202517
I call this being a tentfag in denial. Just get a hammock already.
>>
>>2205961
Shouldn't an underquilt take care of that?
>>
>>2205977
For some reason they don't make most underquilts windproof, so a stronger breeze will just replace the air trapped in it. You can buy windproof underquilt protectors, but why they are separate products, I have no idea.
>>
>>2205957
Alright, thanks anon.
>>2205986
Yeah this is something I was worried about, good to know thanks.
>>
>>2205969
I have a hammock but I like sleeping on the side and stomach
>>
>>2206007
The floor is just a hammock with a spreader bar, you could get one of those.
>>
>>2205986
I mean, when you say strong breeze, it does have to be STRONG to make an underquilt cold. And if you have the rainfly down on the sides of the tent, that blocks most wind from the side. So if you're getting a strong wind that's cuting through the rainfly from end to end, move your hammock to a place you are not set up in line with the wind. Even the Snugpak underquilt, (a cheaper, mass produced underquilt, that I mention because I have, because am cheap bastard.) performs fine if you adjust your fly and your orientation to the wind.
>>
>>2206285
no it isn't, the shape is different and that matters a lot for the flatness
>>
so I bought the xl model and tried it out now. didn't actually spend a night out, just went to a place nearby to try setup, comfort, and take down.

setup went alright, I was lucky enough to have perfect distance between the first pair of trees I used. inflating the pad took a bit longer than it should because the puncture repair kit was blocking the hole in the pump sack and it took some time before I realized the airflow was impaired. setting up the tarp also took a few minutes more than it should because I didn't understand it was necessary to unclip the hammock from the carabiner in order to get the tarp proper on.

comfort on the back was very good. on the stomach was okay, I could feel a slight bending in my back so I'm not sure if that would be uncomfortable over time, or not. on the side was the most awkward, as I was sinking more into the pad.

I liked that the tarp and be strapped onto the sides of the hammock, I did that on one side and it made for a comfy wall so that the hammock isn't so open.

takedown was convenient as the tarp could just remain attacked to the hammock.
>>
File: haven tent.jpg (1.99 MB, 3259x1834)
1.99 MB
1.99 MB JPG
>>2202131
I'm back >>2204174. The picture in the OP doesn't really show much: what this is is a hammock shaped in such a way that with two spreader bars it forms a flat rectangular shape at its bottom where the inflatable pad goes. The pad is included and there's also a bugnet, which seals you completely inside the hammock, and a rainfly, which can be either tied to the corners of the hammock itself or staked on the ground. All in all it's easy and quick to setup even for me with no prior hammock experience, less so to take down as it's a tight squeeze to fit everything back in its case and I was concerned I would accidentally rip the bugnet if it caught on something. It could just as easily be set up on the group provided the ridgeline is kept in tension, but it definitely feels hammock first tent second.

Its main selling point is that you lay flat in it, even while hanging, and you really do. It's very comfy so props for that. Beware though: I have the normal version (they sell an XL too) and it is small, especially widthwise; I'm neither tall nor bulky and yet, while I had room at the top and bottom, if I laid with my arms alongside the body the hands would press against the walls.

Would recommend/10. Pic is the setup without rainfly.
>>
>>2209712
what happens if you roll to your side, it looks like it would tip and you'd be stuck in a corner? But I assume that doesn't happen.
>>
>>2209802
it felt pretty stable to me when I was shifting positions. it has a sturdy flat ridgeline that you can use as a handle to help reposition yourself
>>
File: haven tent 2.jpg (4.32 MB, 4656x2620)
4.32 MB
4.32 MB JPG
>>2209802
The pad isn't just laying on the floor of the hammock, rather it's tucked inside four pockets (one per corner) that prevent it from moving about. You can see one in the top right corner of the pad.
>>
>>2209874
>>2209938
huh nifty, I'll look at some video reviews of it, was never interested in hammocks because of sleeping position but this seems cool.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.