[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: gaudineerknobwv11.jpg (226 KB, 1440x1080)
226 KB
226 KB JPG
qott: does anyone here (else) actually, seriously, enjoy lush deciduous forests more than barren, lifeless, dry coniferous tracts?

previous

>>2173191
>>
File: Galileo_Trial_1633.png (1.1 MB, 1416x654)
1.1 MB
1.1 MB PNG
what are these black spots on my apples and how do I have less of them next year?
>>2194736
>>
My girlfriend has never been camping in her life. What are some things I can get to make sure her first time camping isn't miserable?

car camping in the south, assuming we'll be at a site with standard facilities
>>
>>2194753

Thanks a lot for the links and really nice invitation to explore more of the Polish mountains.
>>
>>2194761
Required IQ for farm management?.......
>>
looking for an ultra sleek 1 person tent with a low profile design (preferably in black). i need it to pack as small as possible and be high quality. 750 usd budget. was wondering if you guys have any recommendations aside from comissioning one.
>>
>>2194787
Unclench your butt cheeks anon, it's just banter. I grew up in Beskid and used to hike around a ton as a kid, maybe I can give you some pointers if you say where you live and where you're willing to travel to hike
>>
>>2194788
Room temperature
>>
>>2195041
Don't worry, nothing to unclench here, I start to get used to the Polish sense of humor

I live in Bielsko-Biala for like 3 years now and to give you an idea I started with cyganski las and surroundings. Biggest trip was : kozia gora, klimczok, szyndzielnia then back to starting point in one day

Maybe you know some nice trails (any difficulty) in beskid slaski so I can just have fun walking around and maybe even spend a night camping in the wild ?
>>
>>2195023
Why?
>>
>>2195128
>I start to get used to the Polish sense of humor
Wait, are you not Polish? That changes things. Where are you from and do you speak the language? Why are you even in Poland, Bielsko of all places?
>I live in Bielsko-Biala for like 3 years now and to give you an idea I started with cyganski las and surroundings.
Cygański Las is a babby tier park for a walk, not a hike. But it's a start I guess.
>Biggest trip was : kozia gora, klimczok, szyndzielnia then back to starting point in one day
Very nice, I did those peaks countless times in various combinations.
>Maybe you know some nice trails (any difficulty) in beskid slaski so I can just have fun walking around and maybe even spend a night camping in the wild ?
Just a few from nearly endless options:
Błatnia from Jaworze
Klimczok via other routes (from Bystra or Szczyrk)
Dębowiec - Szyndzielnia - Klimczok - Magura and down to Szczyrk
Skrzyczne from Szczyrk, either hike up or take the cable car and then hike around on top
Szczyrk - Skrzyczne - Barania Góra - down to Wisła or Milówka. This one is around 25 km total, you could plan a sleepover somewhere to take it easy.
Magórka from Wilkowice
Or get yourself a nice topo map with trails marked. Polish (and Czech and Slovakian) trailblazing system is one of the best and clearest in the world, plus tourism is very organized and centralized. Or worst case scenario get the A**Tr**ls app, there's a bunch of better or worse suggestions in it.
Seriously, just look at pic related, it just begs to be traversed and is beautiful.
Last but not least, looping back to your previous post, if you tell anyone in Bielsko that it's Silesia and they don't punch you in the face then they are phonies and transplants and you should not speak with them. HTH.
>>
File: rollin mat.jpg (308 KB, 1200x1200)
308 KB
308 KB JPG
thoughts on pic related? any good?
>>
>>2194776
1. plan good meals
2. have one or two activities to do once it gets dark
3. sleeping/bedding, make sure you aren't too hot or cold, and don't get wet
>>
Most rural areas arround me are sugar cane plantations, with just a few forested areas near rivers and/or in provate property. How can I camp without getting police called on me?
>>
File: maxresdefault-3.jpg (39 KB, 1280x720)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
How to avoid floating fire embers from fucking up my stuff? What fabrics are most resistant to it?
>>
>>2195305
Stop burning cardboard boxes.
>>
>>2195137
stealth+wild camping in weird places. ended up going with a carinthia micro
>>
>>2195363
KEK. People think the stealth larping meme is real?!
>>
I've had my current sleeping bag for 20 years. The coldest weather I've used it for was 5°C. It was uncomfortable.
I haven't done a lot of camping since childhood, now I'm getting back into it.
Temperatures at my next destination should not get any lower than 8°C.
Do I drop a couple hundred on a winter bag, or tough it out with the old one and maybe a woolen blanket? If I do get a winter bag, what's the highest temperature that those are usable in?
>>
>>2195023
There was a thread up that had some motorcycle dude talking about how he sleeps anywhere with a canvas bedroll. It's basically an old school bivy. You could go that route with a brown silnylon tarp just in case it rains. (with 6 pegs and a rapid ridgeline in the sack.)
>>
>>2195247
for a yoga mat, yes. For a ground pad, they are heavier and don't insulate as well as a ground pad that was made for camping. They might be good for cushion though.
>>
>>2195251
Good advice. Any good activities for after dark, besides the obvious sexy time?
>>
>>2195247
is that the thing that Joe Rogan advertises?
>>
>>2194776
Coleman makes a queen size airbed cot that I can vouch for but it needs a large tent. I feel like there's less room inside my 6 man tent with the cot than in my 3 man tent with just the mattress.
>>
>>2195406
playing cards
stargazing
movies on a tablet in the tent
>>
>>2195406
Sleeping. Sleep early, rise early. One of the main things I like about camping is that it makes you appreciate daylight.
Or hey, maybe talk? Lots of couples talk too little.
>>
>>2195417
I've already got a queen airbed with a battery-powered pump I'm planning on bringing. Are there any major benefits to having the raised cot in addition to an air mattress?

>>2195420
>>2195425
All good ideas, thanks. We play MTG together, so that's probably the flavor of cards we'll end up doing.
>>
>>2195358
I don't, it's probably from birch bark or something
>>
>>2195212
I'm from Belgium and went to Poland for work at first (a teraz kredyt na mieszkanie kurwa). I understand a lot and speak enough of it to live normally. I even manage to handle the administration and fucking zameldowanie

Like you said, it's mostly "baby takes his first steps" but as my confidence will grow, I'll raise the challenge. Definitely with those peaks you've listed here. Because like you've pointed out, the trails are very nicely marked and maintained from what I saw and in very good shape when compared to belgian ones (at least, when I was hiking there)

>Last but not least, looping back to your previous post, if you tell anyone in Bielsko that it's Silesia and they don't punch you in the face then they are phonies and transplants and you should not speak with them. HTH.
Like half of fucking Poland. If you say that X is in Y, then you get your ass kicked haha.

Anyway, you have my infinite thanks for your time and help !
>>
>>2195430
>Are there any major benefits to having the raised cot in addition to an air mattress?
It's more comfortable to lay on, and you'll stay dry if you do get water in your tent.
>>
>>2195305
>What fabrics are most resistant to it?
wool
>>
>>2195369
i mean idk about others' use cases but i'm planning on going on a walk across europe next year and i'm likely going to be staying on a lot of private property
>>2195398
that works but i'm a bit of a bitch and i'd like some sort of space for myself, that's why i went with a tent over a bivvy
>>
>>2195473
>I like space

Fair enough. Personally, I like a hammock with a mosquito net, like the henessey. Same reasoning. I feel like it's my own little space. No bugs, no kids (holy shit they get into everything). It's not always feasible, but I like it when I can use it.
>>
Hey /out/, how do I deal with bees?
There's a bee nest outside of my room (the balcony) that I've been letting it sit there. It was fine a few months ago but now it's gotten kinda big.
Usually there's just one flying around in my room so that's fine. Today however, 4 bees just got into my room. I sleep half naked so kinda afraid I might get stung while sleeping.
How do I deal with it safely, don't really want to kill them if possible.
>>
>>2194761
I dunno if this is the place to ask but there used to be an archery general on this board. I just bought my first bow (used to have hand me downs) and it's my first one without a quick release quiver. I don't have a bow rack. Is it better to store it quiver side up or down?
>>
>>2195620
Call a bee keeper. They'll usally take it out for free.
>>
what brand of cooler ice pack should i buy?
>>
>>2195767
coleman
>>
>>2195769
these things?
https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Chillers-Pack-Hard-Substitute/dp/B0079568JG/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=coleman+ice+pack&qid=1629948832&sr=8-2
>>
>>2195773
"Coleman 48-Quart Performance Cooler" is what I have

oh you just mean hard pack

doesn't really matter I don't think

I use ice anyways, hard ice packs don't keep stuff nearly as cold
>>
>>2195767
Get a huge discount on Home Chef or similar, they pack a ton in the boxes they send, re-use those. You can usually get a couple of boxes at a big discount or free either with mail-in shit or referral codes. Spending $10 on cold packs is retarded.
>>
>>2195456
>I even manage to handle the administration and fucking zameldowanie
Sounds like you got your feet on the ground then with some healthy dose of bureaucracy. Now if you haven't heard of PIT yet then you will, and you will love it for sure.
>Like you said, it's mostly "baby takes his first steps" but as my confidence will grow, I'll raise the challenge.
The only way is up.
>Because like you've pointed out, the trails are very nicely marked and maintained from what I saw and in very good shape
Yeah, I hiked in many countries on different continents and nowhere have I seen this level of effort put into tourism and mountaineering, and the culture surrounding it. Ethos even you might say. I miss it like holy fuck.
>Like half of fucking Poland. If you say that X is in Y, then you get your ass kicked haha.
At the end of the day it's mostly just friendly banter, and then you can get a beer and be bros while getting sad drunk watching national team at the Euro. Unless you're sure shade of brown, then you might get punched by default lmao.
>Anyway, you have my infinite thanks for your time and help !
Nie ma sprawy. Do you have email or something to keep in touch? No homo, it's just too strange to meet a random anon in a thread I almost never look at who now lives in my childhood's backyard.
>>
How do I overcome my crippling Agoraphobia?
>Be me
>Diagnosed Agoraphobia
>Shit sucks
>Buy Mil-Surp /out/ gear, because poorfag, as motivation to go out there
>Fear too strong, have panic attacks as soon as I´m 30 minutes from my home
Guys, it´s really bad. I can´t live my life the way I want to. Therapy doesn´t do shit...Can´t even get my drivers-license because of my Anxiety.
And no, mental illness is not a meme or scam, it sadly is very real, and runs in my family.
How the fuck do I get out of this hell?
>>
>>2195930
Not a troll, actual stupid question here: Does wearing a hat with a big brim help at all?
>>
>>2195930
>How do I overcome my crippling Agoraphobia?
Have you tried going to a therapist/psych?
What do you think is the cause of it?
How old are you?
Do you have a job, or are you in school, or are you a NEET?
Do you ever go to the grocery store, or pick up food from a restaurant?
Can you go for a walk around your neighborhood?
>>
File: aQdxq08_460s.jpg (56 KB, 460x579)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>2196001
>Have you tried going to a therapist/psych?
Yes, still do. I´m at 4 different therapists/psychologists, and I´m considering trauma therapy too, making it 5. (German Healthcare ftw).
>What do you think is the cause of it?
Years of Bullying started it all, and being raised by a single-mom, with absent father (No I´m not black), but by now, I guess I just have it, because I have it. I also suffer from Anxiety, depression, depersonalization, derealization, tourettes, and a bunch of other shit. I fucking hate every single second of it. I tried so many things, nothing really works.
I want out of this. Badly.
>How old
>are you a NEET
Yes. I´ve tried holding a job, but I can´t.
>Do you go to the grocery store
No, only on some occasions, when I feel somewhat better than other days. But afterwards I am completely drenched in sweat, have a BPM of 130, and am close to having a panic attack, and an existenzial crisis.
>Can you go for a walk
Only at night, when there´s barely any people around, and I have to be at a maximum of 30 minutes from my house, otherwise I´m getting panicky.
>>
>>2195995
Sorry fren, I don´t get the question.
>>
Has anyone else broken their sleeping bag compression sack? If so then what were their thoughts on the commercial replacement they bought?
>>
>>2196004
Damn, dude. That's a lot of fucked up packed into a single box. I don't even know what I'd do at that point. This should have been really worked on back when you were in your teens, but you're a full adult and almost 30 now.

Honestly, I'm not trolling. I think your best option at this point is psychedelics.
Have someone take you /out/ and do LSD or ketamine or shrooms, even MDMA can be therapeutic. There's even ketamine clinics in some locations now, as it's getting early approval for issues like this. (note: I'm not advising to do anything illegal, please check your local regulations on any of the above)
>>
>>2196004
Well done for finding some situations where you can deal with the fear. Try tracking how long you're out for and slowly increasing the time or gradually having more people around. I'm sure your therapists have talked about exposure therapy and this is it. It got me through some anxiety I had in social situations so might help you but idk. You could just kill yourself I guess?
>>
>>2195930
Find someone you trust to do /out/ shit with you. Tale benzodiazepines. Do /out/ shit with friend. Repeat with lower dose of benzodiazepines.
>>
>>2196075
>benzodiazepines
Beta-blockers are incredible too. Pop one and you're good to go commit genocide
>>
>>2196082
>Beta-blockers
KEK
Do they stop you from being a beta?!
>>
>>2196084
No, they block beta adrenergic receptors.
>>
>>2195627
Archery got moved to >>>/xs/59442

>Is it better to store it quiver side up or down?
i store my arrows point down. but if you have a bow-mounted quiver it honestly doesn't matter
>>
>>2196087
Why did the archery general get moved? That was consistently one of the best threads on /out/. Do we need more tarp threads and hammock threads?
>>
>>2196090
Think there's only one hammock thread and only one tarp thread (and that's bivis and tarps combined). I get the hatred of the tourists and frog posters but at least look at the catalog before throwing out accusations.
>>
>>2196023
>You could just kill yourself I guess?
KEK, nah. I´m gonna ride this out, no matter what. I lived this way for the last 15 years, so I´m kinda invested in seeing how this whole shitshow plays out in the end. Quitting is not an option, no matter how bad this shit gets.
>>
File: 1624757700636.jpg (69 KB, 720x628)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
>>2196098
Chad response. KYS was meant as a joke but props for being so up in life's face. That's how you're going to make progress. Believe in the process and make constant small steps to achieving your goal of being out. We all believe in you. Post your progress here. We're living for it!
>>
File: s9NR21pl.jpg (43 KB, 640x640)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>>2196021
>>2196023
>>2196104
Thanks for the kind words, you frens :)
>>
>>2196098
>I´m gonna ride this out, no matter what. I lived this way for the last 15 years, so I´m kinda invested in seeing how this whole shitshow plays out in the end. Quitting is not an option, no matter how bad this shit gets.
You're gonna make it fren.
>>
I am a loner but want to hike. People make it seem like its dangerous to hike alone is it really dangerous? I live near the white mountains and wanted to do a couple trails.
>>
>>2196155
you'll be fine. Keep your head up and don't be one of those people lost in their headphones. Have fun. Post pictures of cool shit.
>>
Never been backpacking before but did around 20 hikes over the summer so feel as if I’m ready. What can I look to realistically spend on my first set up? In the PNW
>>
>>2196020
I never use the sacks that are supplied with mine, I call the makers and ask them how compressed their shit can get and buy sea to summit event compression sacks in the smallest sizes I can manage.
>>
>>2196174
If you are smart and shop around you can get lucky often at places such as goodwill for decent gear. After that sites like Craigslist are your friend. Priorities should be a decent pack and light enough tent. Past then it all becomes relative luxuries. Cooking with a tiny cookset and can of sturno can be almost free.
Start small with overnighters, go with someone experienced if you can. If not, don’t be too ambitious, and every time you will learn something new.
>>
>>2196155
>People make it seem like its dangerous to hike alone is it really dangerous?
It's not terrible as long as you have a working phone with good connection. You never know what might happen; you go off the trail toward a cliff-edge to grab a great photo, and take a wrong step. Or something even dumber where you just trip on a small rock and completely break an arm or twist an ankle. You'll want to be able to get help if needed when shit happens, however rare it might be. Maybe stick to reasonable busy trails if you're solo, though obviously this is all just about having an abundance of caution. You could rough it for months solo and be perfectly fine, too.
>>
I'm very lazy and very cheap. How long can I get away, semi-comfortably, with just packing rice and multi-vitamins? I imagine a few days worth before the weight starts getting to be too much.
>>
>>2196098
Keep pushing on brother. : )
>>
In the past there were comfy night walk threads. Was that on /out/ or another board?
>>
>>2196446
>Was that on /out/ or another board?
Those were in /r9k/ anon.
Although they were opened a few times on /out/.
Nowadays no one nightwalks, not even /r9k/.
>>
File: 4stats screneshot.png (83 KB, 1501x627)
83 KB
83 KB PNG
>>2196446
/out/ has had nightwalk threads a couple years ago

But nobody on /out/ goes outdoors anymore, ever since COVID happened and the /pol/niggers and frogposters invaded
>>
>>2196458
I only stopped going /out/ a few weeks ago, but that's to let the deer get fully back into the area I plan to hunt starting next week.
>>
>>2195461
and leather, canvas, denim
>>
>>2196195
Thanks mate, great shout on calling the manufacturers. Also strong shout to recommend sea to summit event sacks, will be giving them a look.
Ever seen any damage to things for being compressed to the max?
>>
>>2195930
One day at a time ;}
>>
>>2195425
talking with a woman instead of just stuffing, really loser
>>
Anyone got the household chemical recipes infographic?
>>
>>2196293
>rice
Take oats instead
>>
>>2196581
>Ever seen any damage to things for being compressed to the max?
Yes, this is why it's critical to ask how compressed things can get, you can rip the sacks seams or destroy a sleeping bag if you don't pay attention to it.
>>
>>2194776
Good advice so far. Also, lights
>>
Do you people use alltrails? Do you like it? And how comprehensive are the routes provided?
As an aside- My thirty-something relatives LOVE it and won’t shut up about it so I’m thinking of trying, but it gives me a bad feeling- think of how on dating apps 5-7 years ago you could find an interesting person to spend time with somewhat easily, but nowadays it’s so dry that you’re lucky to find a mentally sane person let alone interesting. Similarly, the “inefficiencies” of a quality overlooked trail would simply disappear after enough time and popularity of an app like this if a critical mass of people use it, such that every quality trail will eventually crowd up and become disgusting. But that takes time and normies, and if it’s not yet dried up I’d like to try out some new hikes
>>
>>2196846
I downloaded it once. My favorite local trail isn't on there. Hope it stays that way.
>>
>>2195247
This might be an unpopular opinion but unless you're camping in edge seasons or winter you don't need a mattress. They can be nice but something like that is gonna be a PITA to carry anywhere. Where are you gonna put it? How much more will it weigh if it get as wet?
>>
>>2195305
Burn hardwood and not cedar.
Don't set your tent up downwind.
>>
>>2195385
> highest temperature that those are usable in?

If you're too hot get out of your sleeping bag.

You'd probably be okay with a nice 3 season mummy bag with a hood, then use an overbag/blanket and layer up if you're somewhere really cold. A good z rating sleeping pad will help tons too.

Obviously if you do most of your tripping in the Arctic circle then ignore this advice.
>>
>>2194761
Why does everyone buy the snap-on stoves instead of the ones you put on the ground with a tube which connects to the tank?
Isn't it risky to stack stuff so high?
>>
>>2194761
Who has the "Ever wonder what's going on in the city" le chad meme?
>>
What type of beetle is this?
>>
>>2197090
Bump
>>
>>2197090
weight and convenience
>>
>>2197308
Weight? I don't think they weigh more than maybe a few grammes more?
And my point was exactly that aren't they more convenient, since they are closer to the ground (and can connect to any kind of cannister)?
>>
>>2197090
remote canister stoves cost and weight more, and for most summer casuals the benefits don't outweigh the costs
>>
Do people actually use picrel? What advantage does it have?
>>
>>2197455
>dedicated bottle
>clunky object
saves space over toilet paper yep
>>
I haveone of these cheap down sleeping bags that's probably rated for 40 degrees, but is crazy light and compresses down to nothing. Could I use it as a liner for a heavier bag to boost the temp a little more than a fleece liner? I'm thinking of using it with a 20 degree bag when it starts to get colder
>>
File: 614CTl02TxL._AC_SX425_.jpg (42 KB, 425x1008)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>2197468
>>
Are solar powerbanks a waste of time? Should l just get a good powerbank instead?
>>
>>2197484
Yes, unless you plan to be gone for weeks.
>>
>>2197484
If you can get a used one for cheaper, or a good deal- and the weight/bulk isnt a drag- I say go for it. I have a flashlight that recharges with USB so it's worth it for that reason alone and emergency phone recharge.
>>
I don't have any friends or anyone to go hiking with since my girlfriend left me last year. I keep wanting to go out, but always flake out/get anxiety the day of. What do I do? I want to hike up a up a mountain near me, but I keep wussing out.
>>
>>2197516
Are you a NEET? If not, ask one of your work buddies if they want to go.
>>
Any great, non-obvious food to take with on trek?
>>
>>2194761
Getting into tarp camping and I can't find a good answer for this question- how much cord should I buy? The diagonal of my tarp plus maybe 5-10 feet extra on each side?

Can/should I use the same ridgeline cord for my prusik knots, or should I use a different one? What about my guylines? I hear using some rope on rope combinations will wear one or the other down.
>>
>>2197570
Get 50ft, practice setting it up and figuring out how much cord you need. 20ft plus your tarp size is reasonable but it's better to have too much. Prusiks work best when they're thinner than the cord they're tied to. If both are the same diameter, the prusiks will tend to slide. I use normal paracord for a ridgeline, and ~2mm cord for prusiks and guylines
>>
>>2197564
instant mashed potatoes
instant rice
dehydrated beans
knorr sides
seasonings
hard cheeses
>>
>>2197342
A brs3000 and similar stoves can be like 2oz total. For backpacking where you might just heating up 2cups of water st night, maybe a cup of coffee in the morning. Never heard anyone complain about height . In high wind you'd want a wind break any way? And they use an incredibly common canister.
>>
>>2197469
Maybe. Your inner bag will need to fit inside with plenty of room as compressing down will reduce the insulation. You might be able to unzip it and use it as an overblanket.

>>2197570
Buy at least 50ft, but possibly more. To get the most out of a tarp you'll want guylines in most configurations. Being able to tension the stake-outs after getting things placed makes getting a taunt pitch much easier. Being able to add a few inches of space under the tarp greatly improves airflow and living space.
Paracord is pretty heavy and the stretch it has makes it meh for long ridgelines. Zing it, dynaglide, lot of other options are preferable. Papa hiker on yt has some good vids.
>>
>>2197462
Is it for space savings? I thought it was just to be cleaner. I've also heard of people using their drinking water bottle
>>
How do I get that plastic taste out of my camelbak bladder?
>>
>>2197857
Have you tried the watered down lemon rinsing trick ?
It might help reduce it, but unfortunately the nature of these bladders is you always have a bit of that taste
>>
Is this a meme?
>>
>>2197951
probably.
Is it light? yes
Do I have one? yes.
More importantly for me, it takes up minimal space in my pack.
>>
Where to /out / within ~4 hours of Nashville?

>Multi day Backpacking
>loop preferred, out and back ok.
>Not Cades Cove
>Not too crowded
>water is nice
>>
>>2197089
>get out of your sleeping bag
With winter bags I'd be worried that there'd be a temperature range where it's too hot in the bag, but too cold outside. I can't justify spending a couple hundred on a sleeping bag I'll maybe use 4 times a year.
>arctic circle
Not really, but I am planning on camping in the mountains of central Germany and southern Poland in the fall and winter. Shit's gonna get cold. The 3 season + blanket + layers + good pad plan sounds very reasonable and is pretty much what I was considering if the winter bags aren't a good option.
>>
File: 1627711913567.jpg (61 KB, 640x652)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
>>2197455
What are other methods of knowing when your butthole is clean other than looking at the toilet paper? How would I know when to stop squirting water at my butthole?
>>
>>2198476
you have a dozen of national forest districts within that radius its really not that hard to look at maps and plan a trip yourself
>>
Found my nalgene bottle that i have not washed out in 6 weeks or so.

How do i disinfect it? There's still a drinking water left in it.
>>
>>2194761
why is it i know exactly where this is
>>
>>2199439
If it only had water in it, you wash it with soap and water and its fine
>>
Where to /out/ within ~6 hours of Houston? Maybe more, so most of Arkansas, Louisiana, south Oklahoma, west Mississippi, and obviously most of Texas.

>car camping
>hiking once camp is set up
>some sort of verticality or at least good clean forest with water

Sam Houston National Forest is huge, so would be good to know if there's any particular spots. Also open to spots near the Ozarks, or any Texas Hill Country hidden gems.
>>
>>2199439
Vinegar for cleaning, bleach for disinfecting.
>>
Which one of these should I get?

Why is the one with the larger objective lens so much cheaper? Isn't that the better one?

Help me out /out/ you're my only hope
>>
>>2198532
I feel like you have a good 20-30 F deg above the comfort rating before it's too warm. A quilt is a little easier to manage temp swings and with a jacket it's very manageable at or below 30 for a 3 season. If you have a 0C lower limt rated bag you should be okay until 15C without issue. You might be fully unzipped and a little uncomfortable when it's warm and you might need something extra like a jacket when it's at 0C but that's a sacrifice if you don't want any other gear.

---

Question about rain pants, I think. On occasion when it's cold, raining, and/or i'm off-trail, I feel like the correct wet-weather gear is a rain pant. At least I think so. I'm torn between getting a very minimalist, very light pair and just give up any features like large zips for packability or getting something more like a stand-alone pair of pants rather than an add-on.
>>
>>2196004
I was in a similar boat once anon, 28 now but it was the worst when I was 22. I did two things that helped a lot, first thing is I got a dog. Being forced to walk him around outside slooowly got me more comfortable with just being outside. First 5 minute walks, then 10, then up to an hour. Very helpful that my city had nice parks. If nothing else, having a dog will give you a reason to get out of bed in the morning, even if its only at 10am thats better than 3pm to start.

People would come up sometimes cause Im a half decent looking guy with a puppy, especially girls would come up and want to chat. Pretty much universally spilled my spaghetti but I slowly even got better at that.

The second thing I did was get a girlfriend. I had had a few in high school but had been doing the lonely neet life for a few years (no college). I got on tinder before it was all turbo roasties and found a fellow weirdo homebody.

She pretty much moved in right away and we both got into our shared agoraphobia just being home all day. We both got jobs when the neetbucks started running out and now we've been married for almost 2 years. Having a guaranteed partner to drag along to whatever cool shit helped both of us.

Most of the people in my life now have no idea I used to be agoraphobic and I'm still relatively anti-social but at least I'm happy. Gonna force our kids out of the house, video games are a blessing and a curse for a child.

Get a dog, get a girlfriend. Thanks for reading my blog post
>>
>>2199647
You should ask this in the NVG general over on /k/
>>
File: 17.png (8 KB, 493x402)
8 KB
8 KB PNG
>>2199732
>/k/
>>
Whats the best headlamp that /out/ recommends?
>>
https://www.rei.com/lists/380640856

How is my first backpacking set up? Would be going alone in the fall in the PNW, have other shit such as bug spray / reservoir already in my daypack. Do I need a fire starter? Really have no idea what I am doing here.
>>
>>2199647
That's at best gen 1 night vision so your guess is as good as mine. Could just be Amazon pricing being funky. What do you want to do with an IR illuminated camera? I ask because that sort of NV is pretty much a camera with no IR filter and a big ir led flashlight, not goggles for walking around.

>>2199772
Nitecore, black diamond have been good brands for me. Red light non-negotiable, multiple power levels is whatever I'm normally at max or min.
>>
>>2199802
Ditch the lantern for now for weight. Drop the plastic spark thing for a long-handled spoon that will reach into the jetboil. The foam pad is usable but if you're not a back sleeper and you've never done this before you might consider something inflatable. Add a pillow. Concerning the jetboil, lot people go with a small burner and a titanium pot, using some reflectix as a coozie. Its lighter and cheaper. Compare what you're cooking vs your stove needs. It is a very efficient stove though.
>>
File: PIC_0015.jpg (26 KB, 500x375)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>2199911
I don't want it for goggles to walk around, I want it for spotting things at night, catching my crackhead neighbours skulking around the street at night, and taking different types of night photos. I've been looking at youtube demos and it's pretty good, even if you turn the IR illuminator off it does really well with just a little skylight. I don't want the cheep shit but also don't want to spend big money.

I have a FLIR thermal camera for instances when I truly need the eyes of God
>>
>>2195930
drugs
>>
>>2199912
Will ditch the lantern and smart plan with the pillow. I am a back sleeper, will the sleeping bag be good for the fall and a mild winter? I’ve always wanted a jet boil so my dumbass will probably grab. Do I need a compass or fire starter? How about the tent? Is it overkill for one person?
>>
>>2195060
Celcius or fahrenheit? Or kelvin maybe?
>>
File: 1601639554678.jpg (387 KB, 520x717)
387 KB
387 KB JPG
>>2194761
I am looking for map apps that can be used offline.
Would be nice if they'd allow to place pins to plan routes.
>>
>>2200229
>I am looking for map apps that can be used offline.
unironically Alltrails
>>
File: 1626625524098.jpg (1.18 MB, 1600x1070)
1.18 MB
1.18 MB JPG
>>2200231
I am quite ignorant to wandering and such.
No matter how deep I'd cycle on the nearby woods civilisation is but 5 minutes away.

Is alltrails not liked here?
>>
>>2200016
Depends on your local area but 20F lower limit is common for '3 season' plus or minus for the individual. Can look at a sleeping bag liner in the future if you find you're stretching the rating a few times a year if you dont want a winter bag. Nothing wrong with wearing a puffy jacket and long-johns to bed if you need it. Compass - only if you plan on navigating with it and know how. Fire starter, eh bic lighter covers it. Bring 2 in separate locations if you worry.

The tent. Overkill? for one person it's relatively heavy for a shelter. As a shelter, the REI half-domes are great tents in my experience. Shelters are very particular to the person, it would be hard to recommend something out of the blue.
>>
>>2200231
Those cards can't be used offline without a pro account
>>
>>2200313
PNW, so depending on the winter can be anywhere from 40s to 60s. I can always grab a new tent and sleeping bag come the winter, I just spent the whole summer hiking and getting into better shape so Id like to get into backpacking now and not have to wait until next summer. I do have relatively strong legs so a 1-2 lbs extra on the tent wont really be rough on my back. I could also be an idiot saying this too. But yes, tent is the hardest part I have noticed.
>>
>>2198567
after much research it seems like there are a few different methods. The consensus seems to be natural materials for the heavy stuff, bidet, dry with tp. On the extreme end of the spectrum is the andrew skurka /ultralight/ method which is basically just squirt and scrub.
>>
>>2200653
>>2198567
found a writeup of the skurka method
https://andrewskurka.com/toilet-paper-less-my-evolution-in-butt-cleaning/
>>
File: MSRTwinBro.jpg (57 KB, 456x473)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
Is it possible to reply "it depends" to any question asked on this board, and still be giving a logically sound answer?
>>
>>2200663
It depends
>>
>>2200663
"it depends" and providing some of the details that need to be considered before providing a full answer is helpful

Example:
>Is this tent good?
It depends. How many people? What climate and weather? Backpacking or car camping? Budget? etc. etc.
>>
I'm driving down the east coast, will the MSR Isopro cans be safe to keep in my car
>>
>>2200663
Technically, yes. Practically; it'd be dickish.
>>
Got a 6lb 3p tent from a buddy, and started car camping with my wife this year.
If things go well, would that work for backpacking in the future, splitting the load between two people? Or is it simply going to be too heavy?
>>
>>2201054
If you can split the weight evenly then that's manageable. Try loading up your packs and going for a day hike to see how it is. What tent is it? Something that heavy makes me think it's something from a big box store, in which case I'd be a little concerned about how weatherproof it is.
>>
>>2200663
99.9% of the questions on this board can be answered with
>it depends
due to the situational nature of /out/.
>>
Anyone ever come across unsettling nature?
For some reason I really didn’t like this tree
>>
>>2201163
but it's a beautiful tree

explain yourself
>>
>>2194761
My local walking trail has been invaded by a family of deer. Today I got stared down by a buck. I just read online that deer will kill you. Should I carry something with me in case I get charged? Will an air horn scare them away? Or maybe some mace? I'm not aloud a gun on the trail.
>>
>>2201116
Marmot Limelight, and now that I look at the specs it's closer to 4lbs.
I guess nothing really beats seeing firsthand.
>>
File: 20210901_153850.jpg (1.44 MB, 4032x1816)
1.44 MB
1.44 MB JPG
Does /out/ appreciate a good canoe barrel or has everyone become a drybagboi?
>>
>>2201164
It’s a very dead tree, with a bunch of holes in it
>>
>>2201169
>not allowed a gun
Which cuck state is this?
>>
I have this knife and a shitload of paracord. Whats a cool tassel design to loop through the hole? I’m thinking of using at least 15’ of it for a “just in case” scenario.
>>
>>2201224
looks neat
>>
File: 20210901_153941.jpg (1.58 MB, 4032x1816)
1.58 MB
1.58 MB JPG
>>
>>2194776
Honestly for a first time check out airbnbs. I stayed in an old refurbished 60s camper out on a rural tract of land once. It was like 60 bucks but you get all of the camping experience and a bed to sleep in. It was cold enough that we were comfy under blankets. They had a little charcoal grill I used to smoke some wings and I could bring my dog. She doesn’t like the outdoors that much and still looks back on it fondly. Start small and then work your way up. Most women don’t want to rough it so make it comfortable.
>>
Has anyone had success with converting an old sleeping bag into an underquilt?
I have a bag with a broken zipper that I would like to make use of
>>
>>2201400
stitch/patch any holes.
If you had a bag that zips all the way open, until it's a square, then it's easy enough. If you have a mummy bag, you'll have to cut it open.

Square bag: basically, remove the zipper and stitch the side of the bag back together. Use a patch of something sturdy as a reinforcement and sew some shock cord into each of the 4 corners of the sleeping bag, and then tie those shock cords to the carabiners of your hammock, or whatever you use for suspension. You can adjust the shape and size of the quilt if you need to. Sew lines in the bag BEFORE you cut off anything. Then just cover the cut of edges with some fabric. Remember that it takes more quilt to cover the hammock when you are in it then when you're looking at it on a table. putting shit back on is pretty much not going to happen. Think before you cut.

If it's a mummy bag, that'll be a bit more of a bitch to design. Sew lines in the bag before you cut it open if you can. Good luck.
>>
>>2201198
My old job used similar but larger barrels to store chemicals. I nabbed a couple and use them for storing things outside.
>>
>>2201586
always knew them as animal feed barrels until i saw people using them in canoes haha
honestly great barrels and i will gladly take the little extra weight for the durability
>>
>>2194761
Thanks to the anons who answered my questions about those nasty bug bites around my waist, but it really didn't do much. Bag Balm helped, Neosporin helped a little more, and anything else just made it itch including Hydrocortisone. Corn Huskers was okay, but made it itch a little and I'd just have to lay down and sit still when it was all I had. I was only walking around in my yard when I got bit or exposed to whatever the reaction was started by which makes me all the more confused; it's not likely I hadn't been exposed to whatever it was before, so I'm not sure what it was. All I know is normal scratching made mosquito bite-like bumps reappear and made it worse. After my Neosporin or Bag Balm would soak in after 30 minutes or an hour or more, I'd be left with insanely dry top layers of skin to the point I could just chip or peel it off, which was gross. No signs of infection, but horrible. I needed to wear a wide fabric bandage around my waist until just a few days ago with another to tie it to myself like a belt. What finally made it go away (which I'm still using) is Aveeno oatmeal bath packets. Use as stated on the packet: fill bath, dump packet in, and sit for 15-20 minutes. I get my normal shower, then rinse the soap off me, then get a bath using two packets. That seems to be taking it away, but I'm going to still take a few more baths just to make sure along with using moisturizers and maybe something to prevent scarring; the skin is still darker there, I think.

Whatever the hell it was, I never want to go through that again.
>>
>>2194761
I want to ask a question about buying, not just specific gear though, all outdoor/general purpose gear.

What are some good websites?
harrysarmysurplus.net?
tacticalgear.com?
cabelas/bass pro?
knife-depot.com?

Some other site?
I'm looking for as much wide range of general, outdoor, and related gear as possible.
But when I look for general out gear I get a lot of knife buying sites.
But I don't mind looking through those for other general gear.
What sites would you recommend?

Also Why aren't whichever "best" buying sites pinned to out, like in the welcome to out thread?
>>
if i pee outdoors should i squat low to the ground and pee straight down to avoid leaving a large scent trail? or should i pee in a wide circle like a helicopter to scare off predators?
>>
>>2201836
How does a woman urinate in a wide circle like a helicopter?
>>
>>2201169
>I'm not aloud a gun on the trail
Bullshit you aren't unless you're a felon. 99.9% of the time deer will run. Most people that get killed by deer are people who hit them with cars and the people that get fucked up by deer have it happen during fawning season or the rut, neither of which are right now. More likely the deer will spook long before you ever see it while hiking a trail.
>>
>>2201820
Cabela's used to be fantastic before they got bought by Bass Pro. Now they're okay if you can go in person and see what you're actually getting. I don't really recc buying /out/ shit online. You have a local outdoors goods shop near you. Look for the mom and pops. They're less likely to lie to you than big name stores and online sites.
>>
File: 1617766649977.gif (248 KB, 500x340)
248 KB
248 KB GIF
>>2201838
>>
I'm a neet who rarely goes outside so I bought a daypack that fits a 20oz bottle in a sleeve. I don't know if it fits 24oz or how much larger that would be. What are some good water bottle brands and what lids should I look for if I want to use it a good number of times without having to rinse it out? Basically I am literally too retarded to know who sells water bottles. I've owned a Smartwater bottle before but it didn't do anything to prevent backwash. Just going to go on two hour long night walks around town.
>>
>>2194761
I want to try camping but it feels like I need a shit ton of gear to even get started. What’s essential when it comes to camping gear?

>tent
>sleeping bag
>sleeping pad
>food
>cookware for food

Anything else?
>>
>>2202123
A backpack to carry that shit would be nice.
And since you include food, don't forget water.
>>
File: g73qty-945uojl.jpg (97 KB, 1000x1400)
97 KB
97 KB JPG
>>2194761
What cheap but very warm coats can i buy used online? it can become the low 10s farenheight (-11C) here but genreally around 30 degrees f (0C)

I have been thinking about buying something like picrel but i know these coats tend to get damaged and start leaking feathers around everywhere.
>>
I lost my favorite big brown bucket hat that regrettably cannot be replaced. Can anyone recommend a good bucket hat, or any other wide-brimmed hat to keep me in the shade and unburned by the sun? I'm in Arizona, and very white. It doesn't need to be a bucket hat, specifically; any good hat for UV protection in desert environments is good.
>>
Best cameras for taking photos while hiking? Cant use my phone since I need that for emergencies.
>>
>>2202370
your phone. Bring a powerbank. If you leave your phone in airplane mode, and you have a powerbank that has a decent capacity, then you should be able to do a week NO problem.
>>
>>2201860
I guess I could carry a gun but it won't fit in my basketball shorts.
>>
File: 1443700469-775202001.jpg (202 KB, 1000x1400)
202 KB
202 KB JPG
>>2202140
Don't buy wool. Down jackets are the best.
>>
>>2202432
It works for blacks, it can work for you too.
>>
>>2194761
where do I go without getting sniper shot with thermals by some fed fuck?
>>
>>2201926
Indeed
>>
>>2202370
Cheapie used compact camera. Or hell, if you have the money, better yet, a new compact camera. Not the fanciest, not the best, but it'll always be on you if you have the pocket for it. Keep the dirt and dust and sand away from its lens or your new compact camera may become a nice compact brick. Make sure the OPTICAL zoom is good; digital is okay these days as long as you have the optical zoom to back it up. Full digital zoom sucks ass though.
>>
>>2202529
In the US? There isn't anywhere that the Feds won't get you if they decide you're a problem.
>>
File: 1572171821533.jpg (229 KB, 891x1024)
229 KB
229 KB JPG
How the fuck am I supposed to not get the bottom layer of my clothes soaking fucking wet with sweat under weather conditions that require three or more layers of clothing?
>>
I'm currently on a multiple day hike. My feet are covered in blisters, what do I do to be able to continue the tour? I don't want to quit but I can hardly walk normal.
Another problem is that my tornails are a little long and I forgot a clipper. How can I cut my nails without a clipper? Knife doesn't sound like a good idea but I don't have any others.
>>
>>2203578
>How can I cut my nails without a clipper?
You know how the bags of chips have a notch at the side that lets you open them easily. Just bite a similar notch into the toenail, get your fingernail into it and "cut" through the toenail with it.
Works like a charm every time. I haven't used nail clippers in years.
>>
File: 1574378100635.png (299 KB, 500x458)
299 KB
299 KB PNG
Any good recommendations for strongish liquor to bring backpacking? I'm looking for something baby smooth, I normally don't drink anything stronger than wine unless its heavily chased.
>>
>>2203932
You're asking for an oxymoron. Either you carry stuff that tastes like shit but gets you wasted in two drops or you fag out with your fancy lady wines and liquors that will weigh a lot.
>>
File: 1578801366706.jpg (94 KB, 596x607)
94 KB
94 KB JPG
how the fuck do I keep mosquitoes away? Mosquitoes in Japan are super aggressive. I spray myself with insect repellent and they hover around me, literally a centimeter away from my body, looking for a place I haven't sprayed. And then they somehow find a place I missed. And then it seems as though the spray just wears off after some time and they bite me where I sprayed too. I am constantly spraying myself with an entire bottle if I spend a few hours outdoors.

I'm this close to making a necklace with a giant lit mosquito coil as a pendant. I don't care if it sets my clothes on fire, so long as it makes the mosquitoes fuck off for a few hours.
>>
>>2203932
Rum, you pantsy.
>>
>>2204251
It means you're tasty. :)
>>
>>2203932
Soju might do the trick. ~20%, so not as weight efficient as whiskey or rum, but it's extremely drinkable as-is. Otherwise, find a bourbon you like to drink warm with a splash of water in it.
>>
>>2204251
*laughs in southeast Texas*
you cannot keep them away, not fully
it's why we don't really go /out/ in Texas in the summer
too hot, swarms of mosquitos, lots of rain
>>
>>2203932
Bourbon is the best tasting liquor for me. Doesn't have to be expensive, and sweet enough to sip neat without absolutely hating it.
>>
>>2200411
>>2200229
OsmAnd~
dont know if its on the play store, probably is, its definitely on F-droid
If you're used to jewgle maps you'll probably be confused at first as it has actual user options. Download the offline vector maps for whatever state you're going to be in. They aren't terribly useful for navigation though (but they do have prominent trails and water features) so what you'll want to do download contour lines with it and possibly the hill shading if you're used to that. Alternatively (or additionally) you can select one of the outdoorsy online maps which usually have far more trail/creek info (the Cycle ones are good and have trails, contours, and national forest/park areas, but there are lots of other options). There might be a way to explicitly download these but I've been too lazy to look, they are images rather than vector data so they'd probably be enormous in file size. What you have to do is just zoom around where you're going to be hiking and get it to cache the area you want. You can set up destinations and shit with directions though I personally dont bother

The program is massively faster than the bloatware that google maps has become, same with the website (probably on account of not being trying to load all the advertising locations and spyware). It is significantly worse at figuring out where addresses are though.
>>
>>2200229
Oruxmaps
Then download some sort of openstreetmap based map for it.
Or spend ages on your computer compiling your own maps out of whatever map provider you want/have access to using MOBAC.
>>
File: liq_bra8.jpg (38 KB, 540x720)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
>>2203932
>>
Is it wrong to hike in a national/state park without paying the entry fee? I live real close to a beautiful trail and I hike it like 2-3 times a week, so I don't really want to shell out that much cash just to walk.
>>
>>2204784
go buy an america the beautiful pass for 80 a year
>>
Never been backpacking before, longest hike I have done was nine miles. I should do car camping before staying the night in the woods right?
>>
>>2204800
have you never been car camping either?
anyways they have like jack shit in common, i guess car camping would be a chance to test out using your stove or setting up tent or whatever, but most people bring big bulky shit car camping
if like 'learning the outdoors' is your concern, you're better off just going on a short backpacking trip with someone who knows what they're doing
>>
>>2204803
Not for 20 years, did not grow up in an outdoorsy family. My dad is over 40 years older than me. I would be buying backpacking gear and going to a campground in the cascades. None of my friends are available at the moment for a backpacking trip sadly.
>>
>>2204804
so i guess you're saying that you're either car camping alone or backpacking alone and that you currently own no gear but want to eventually go backpacking
in that case yeah whatever go car camping to figure out how to use your stuff, dont bring car camping shit though, bring your backpacking kit to see what you forgot/need/etc
>>
>>2204808
Yes, would love to go backpacking soon as I am finally in decent shape after dropping 180lbs and can move around like a normal person. I wanted to go a week from Thursday which gives me enough time to grab all of the gear.

https://www.rei.com/lists/380640856

Is what I have so far. I have a bladder, first aid, spray and other shit in my daypack I can take with me.
>>
>>2204812
There might be some smaller trails near you that you can walk now. Check on Alltrails or some other gay app.
>>
hello fellow larpers i need some advice on trail clearing, how would you go cutting fallen trees say up to 10inch with a handsaw? In talking pruning saw. No chainsaw at the moment
>>
>>2204863
If they're that thick, I wouldn't use a pruning saw. Frankly, I wouldn't use a pruning saw on anything thicker than 5 or 6 inches. You easily can, but just because you can doesn't mean you should. Grab a buddy and use a crosscut.
>>
>>2195930
First of all you have to stop thinking you are ill, because it makes you worse, it would be better if you convinced yourself that shrinks are scammers and pills are poison, the first step to getting over a problem like this is believing it's not real. You're fine, you just feel safer when you're home. Second step is looking down on people, everybody else is a retarded normalfag who can't lit a campfire to save their life. Get into /fit/ness to blow out your accumulated tension and to feel better about yourself. The rest will come naturally.
>>
File: 11786-3XtGdH40C7fhhk.jpg (2.3 MB, 2000x2000)
2.3 MB
2.3 MB JPG
Just bought a Helikon-Tex Lvl 7 Lightweight Winter Jacket.
Outer Material is 100% Nylon (Also says it´s Ripstop)
Filling is 100% Polyester
What are the chances I´ll rip it up the second I walk through some Thorns/Brambles? I bought it for innawoods activity mostly.
Will it rip, even though it says it´s Ripstop material?
How easy is it to sew it back together?
Picrel is jacket
>>
>>2204265
>>2204351
>>2204657
Will try all of these thanks
>>
>>2204969
you can clearly see by the photo it is ripstop. its one function is to stop rips and it will do that.
>>
>>2204858
A few of the hikes I did over the summer did have first one first serve camping at the end of them but were not places I’d want to stay. Infuriated by how one was treated by others with having toilet paper all over the ground 20 feet from a lake
>>
>>2204986
Also try gin; it's by far the most compact. It has more gin per ounce than any liquor
>>
>>2205145
>Also try gin
>It has more gin per ounce than any liquor
well
can't argue with that reasoning, I suppose
>>
>>2195023
I’ve got an army EUREKA! One-man if you want it
Pictured at the top of my medium Alice
>>
File: 1111111111.png (132 KB, 212x343)
132 KB
132 KB PNG
>>2205157
momma will drone deliver mres and handwritten paintings
>>
>>2205158
Cool
>>
>>2197087
>Hi, I have never ever been /out/side, but love to spout bullshit like a retard anyway
>>
I'm in the Chicagoland area (southern suburbs) what's the best way of finding new areas? I've been to the parks around me multiple times, starved rock, midewin Prairie. I want to see something new. and I'm fucking tired of going to a field (like midewin) and it being so goddamn flat that I can see suburbs in the background to matter where I look.
Is there any other solution than to just leave?
>>
>>2198476
LBL
>>
Any other NZ /out/ fags gone through closed DOC tracks? Almost all the hikes I want to do are closed for "restoration". Regardless of answers here, I'm going to do a closed one in a couple of weeksz but want to know what to expect. Will there be construction work at some point that I'll have to sneak around to evade a fine, or will it be bliss with nobody around for miles?
>>
How into /out/ in europe
Everything is so clumped together here there is no true wilderness
>>
Looking to get into backpacking. I've got a lot of random gear from when I was in the scouts as a kid, but no tent. I'm looking at a 70 dollar bessport tent (pic related) from amazon. Never heard of the company before, but I looked up some reviews of the tent and it seems solid. I'm planning on doing two or three day trips in the Adirondacks and don't want to shell out a ton of money because poorfag grad student. Would I be throwing away my money on chinesium shit or would it be a decent way of getting started?
>>
What are some nice, but sturdy plants to put in a pot? I’d like to liven up my home, but since I’m sometimes away for shorter to longer times I always avoided getting any. I’d like to avoid cacti cuz I have the bad habit of touching them by accident...
Are there any plants that’d meet my criteria?
>>
>>2206323
Succulents like aloe can last a few weeks without water, a month in the winter time.
>>
>>2206345
Thanks, succulents look quite nice from what I searched up. Never really considered them since they are rather rare here in central europe...
>>
>>2206365
They're a basic bitch plant here in the states because even instathots have a hard time killing them off. Probably perfect for what you want.
>>
What's the purpose of the shelf on Hiking backpacks?
>>
>>2206391
You mean the packframe?
>>
>>2201179
You’ll be fine anon. Marmot limelight is a fantastic tent. I have a limelight 3p and have taken it backpacking numerous times. It’s definitely bulky and suboptimal for backpacking, but it’s doable.
If you plan on making this a regular thing I’d look into something else but to start out it’s more than okay.
>>
>>2195930
Hey bro, I'm new to out but I know how you feel. I was a shut-in for 7 years of my life. It was hell with numerous suicide attempts. I can honestly say that the only way to get past it is exposure therapy. I was put in an unexpected situation where I was forced to go outside and face people (mom died). I had severe panic attacks and I genuinely thought I was going to die, but after it was all over and I was alone again I realized that I was okay regardless of how I felt in the moment. I slowly started doing more and more things outside even if small (like going to a gas station and buying a candy bar). That was only 3 years ago and now I can go and do anything I want. No amount of therapy helped me either, the only way is to face it head on. You can make it.
>>
>>2194769
Bugs are sucking the fructose out of them. https://www.motherearthnews.com/organic-gardening/gardening-techniques/small-fruit-trees-zm0z15onzdel
If you do this you can control the pests better. You could spray pesticides but organic is the way. Buy some praying mantises and/or do the brown sugar spray. Standard sprays bottle and 1 tablespoon of brown sugar mix in hot water. Spray that on throughly every 5 days or after heavy rain. This increases the brix level which bugs hate. They can’t handle the sugar level and fly away and never come back.
>>
>>2195620
Smoke them and move the nest somewhere else. Wear long sleeves, jeans and a mosquito net hat.
>>
>>2195767
If you have friends that have hello fresh or blue apron ask if they keep the cooler packs they send. They’re really good. My mom dude that service for a while and she let me have some.
>>
>>2205481
Hello fellow Chicagoland anon, Northwest suburbs. The struggle is real. Wisconsin has some more parks to check out, especially Devil's Lake if you don't mind it being a tourist hotspot. If you can stand a 6 hour drive, the Shawnee National Forest is in the southern tip of the state with some wilderness areas.
>>
>>2197192
Volkswagen
>>
>>2198476
I think mammoth cave has a camp site. Also mammoth cave is beautiful and you should take a tour if you haven’t already. KY chads for the win.
>>
>>2199772
Do to Lowe’s checkout and pick up whatever they have. That’s what I do and it always works out well.
>>
>>2201820
Sportsman’s guide is my favorite website. You can get everything from soap to wind turbines.
>>
>>2202140
Go to goodwill. Get a jacket your size then get one bigger size to go over it. Probably costs 15 dollars.
>>
>>2203523
Roll around in sand/salt and weightlifting powder. Or just baby powder yourself.
>>
>>2203578
Find limestone and grind your toenails down
>>
>>2199647
god dammit it was meant to be here 5 days ago and now it's been pushed back another whole week

fucking covid. robot delivery when
>>
>>2206403
Well specifically the hinged shelf part at the bottom. I know it's a stupid question, but I've gone too long being too embarrassed to ask.
>>
>>2206403
>>2206850
This shelf
>>
>>2206852
I don't know why it didn't upload
>>
>>2206854
That's the pack frame anon. It let's you securely carry more/heavier stuff.
>>
>>2206857
Is the bag supposed to rest on the bottom part or is it for putting your sleeping bag and tent on?
>>
>>2197747
Wastes your drinking water
Still need to carry TP to dry yourself
Splashes poopy butthole water back on the neck of your drinking bottle
>>
>>2197564
Shelf stable cheese
A jar of Coconut oil, can be added to rice, oats, anything really, for a nice boost in calorie dense fats
Those effervescent Vitamin C + electrolyte tablets you dissolve in water for a nice orange drink
I carry a little pillbottle full of Litesalt which is 50/50 potassium/sodium, the 2 main electrolytes, also everythings better with a bit of salt
>>
>>2197951
Does it's job
Is light as fuck
Takes up minimal space
no, it's not a meme
>>
Can anyone recommend a radio I can take on 2-3 night backpacking trips for weather updates and maybe some late night music listening if there's reception?
>>
>>2200016
Even if you don't know how to navigate, if you get lost you should have a general idea of where you are a compass will help you pick a direction and stick to it rather than going in circles
And you should atleast carry a mini bic, if you find yourself in trouble like you've fallen during a water crossing and soaked your sleeping bag you'll be glad to have a fire that night
>>
File: ngz6u7ez7mk71 - Copy.jpg (82 KB, 561x694)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
>>2206889
I just carry one of these, it's tiny, meant to clip onto a watch band
>>
Orange variant of the half dome 2 just when out of stock, is that REIs way of saying a refresh is coming?
>>
>>2206896
y-you could call them?
>>
>>2199583
There’s a great wilderness area in the Sam Houston park. Been there a couple times and only people I’ve seen were a couple with their dog. 12 miles of mostly flat pine woods.
>>
>>2206887
FM/AM/NOAA Weather Radio Hand Crank Self Powered Solar Emergency Radios with 3 LED Flashlight 2000mah Power Bank Smart Phone Charger (Red) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DN8G654/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_HNZDPBX2NGFD6EJ1M6C7
Something like this works pretty good. I have one and it’s fairly small sized, solar powered (hand crank and backup batteries), water proof and has a decent flashlight. Also has USB plug in so you can charge the phone if you need it.
>>
>>2202123
>Backpack
>Tent
>Sleeping bag
>Sleeping Pad
>Food
>Water
>Lighter
>Toilet Paper (and a trowel if you care)
That basically covers it

If i had to add to that for my own comfort i'd include;
>A headlamp or torch + spare batteries incase i get caught out in the dark
>A water filter so i dont have to haul gallons out to my campsite
>A tarp and some cordage for rain cover so im not confined to my tent on rainy days
>A battery bank to keep my phone charged
>A fixed blade knife is a general purpose tool; cut food, work wood, poke shit around in the fire, you can dig with it if you really want
>>
File: blog-enhancers7.jpg (308 KB, 800x1332)
308 KB
308 KB JPG
>>2203932
Vodka, diluted with water and flavored with one of these things
>>
How do you make a fire when everything is wet from rain?
>>
File: doll.jpg (86 KB, 500x402)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
>>2194761
I've never used a bladder because I am a worst-case-scenario thinking and have always assumed they would burst in my pack.
Is this a legitimate concern?
Bottles are not that big of a deal.
>>
>>2206917
The insides of (dead/seasoned) branches as thick as your wrist and larger are still dry. It's why axes or hatchets are necessary in winter.
>>
>>2206921
Thanks =)
>>
decent insoles?
>>
File: 1601418503484.jpg (131 KB, 600x931)
131 KB
131 KB JPG
I'm a fat fuck who has just started to hike, whats a good distance to cover on a hike? Ive been doing 13km loops and just pushed it up to 20km today, pretty sore desu. Is 40 km a reasonable goal?
>>
>>2206974
if you're doing multi day trips you probably want to cap it around 20-25, but for one day 40 is a nice little jaunt. depends on the terrain too I guess

how are you faring with hydration?
>>
Anyone ever built a weir? How was it? Get anything better than you could catch via casting?
>>
>>2206978
Hydration is fine sometimes I get a bit lazy with it.

Theres a 40km loop near me that I have my eye on, at my current pace assuming I can keep my current pace it should take 8 hours just need to build endurance.
>>
>>2206980
if it's a loop it's definitely doable. don't rush it, I fucking hate being out of steam and in pain when I'm far from home, shit takes the fun out of it all
>>
>>2205666
>Laughs in Norwegian
>>
File: file.png (891 KB, 1500x1500)
891 KB
891 KB PNG
Anyone have any experience with the Atlas III?
https://www.salewa.com/atlas-iii-tent-00-0000005904

I just want a cheap 2-man tube tent, but my wife is complaining because she wants enough height unter the tent roof to be able to sit up straight.
The thing is, this weighs about 3kg, while the cheap tent I like is just 2.5kg, and I think it'll make a big difference since we go /out/ on bikes. I also have a lot of other things I want to bring, and to add 500g just for the tent is a bit annoying since I already have to cut a lot of stuff.
>>
File: download (7).jpg (7 KB, 373x135)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
Whats a small-ish, cheap, car that handles well in woods, not any crazy offroading but dirt roads that can Also feasibly carry a full size canoe?
I would like 4 seats but I'm also open to maybe a 3 seater pickup if there's anything like that I should look into
>>
What tree is this?
>>
File: 20210911_174913.jpg (4.68 MB, 4032x3024)
4.68 MB
4.68 MB JPG
>>2207352
>>
File: 20210911_174941.jpg (3.33 MB, 4032x3024)
3.33 MB
3.33 MB JPG
>>2207352
>>2207358
>>
What pants do you wear while hiking?
>>
>>2207305
Basically everything would fit what you want, apart from maybe a Fit or Smart. I've been through all sorts of shit dirt roads with the family car without a hitch. I've seen videos of people doing some crazy stuff with a Nissan van. They comment that the important thing is tires and clearance. Honestly I'd just look for a car you want as a daily driver but make sure it has a rack and decent clearance.
>>
>>2205157
watched a review and it looks a little too big to be a compact one man, at least compared to the carinthia micro i ended up going with.
do you think it might be able to fit two slim people in it though? might be a good compact couples tent
>>
>>2206863
Depends on the bag. If it's small enough, you can attack with with the straps, if not then fold it down and then strap it on.
>>
Can I cum in my plant pots to make the soil more fertile?
It sounds like a joke but I want to know if there’s any use for this bodily fluid
>>
>>2207401
I wear shorts because the trails are pretty maintained where I am and thorns or poison ivy are so far apart to that I can just walk around it when I head off trail to set up camp.
>>
>>2194761
I used my fancy down jacket as a pillow, inside a sleeping bag liner. Amazing. But are there downsides, like, my face grease clumps up the down, or the weight of my head crushes the loft of the down? Surely there is a reason for why this trick is never recommended?
>>
File: 1627921857560.jpg (36 KB, 372x362)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
>>2207646
>>
>>2207401
MEC Mica2
>>
>>2207401
Jeans
>this will make /out/ seethe
>>
>>2194761
Anybody got suggestions on how best to clean old canvas bags and leather?
I'm guessing just soapy water but if anybody has some product that works better or a method that works better I'd be interested.

Also waterproofing afterwards, just paraffin wax? I'm planning to cover it with a bin liner if it rains anyway but want to give it half a chance in light rain.
>>
>>2206907
Do you have coords or a spot to look for on the map? I found one inlet that lead to some nature areas and a small lake once.
>>
Any recommendations for babbys first fishing pole? I have no family that is into anything like this, and no local friends either. I recently moved to a spot with a lot of fishing opportunities (NorCal) and I'd like to try but don't know where to start. I like eating fish.

Secondary requests would be a "light" or "travel/hiking" pole if possible, so I could theoretically carry it for a while on a trip and then use it while /out/ but this isn't necessary.
>>
File: captain stag.jpg (109 KB, 1500x983)
109 KB
109 KB JPG
I put my mess kit over the fire today, and it seems like the paint doesn't like it. I didn't "wait for the fire to cool down so you use the embers" because the stove is very small. I noticed a few specks where the bare metal is reflecting back through the olive paint.
Should I just s trip the whole thing, or strip then coat in fire resistant paint? I wouldn't care if not for that the pan part of the kit doubles as a steamer for the pot and I don't want paint getting into the food because the metal is hot
It is a polish mess kit, dated 1968
it looks similar to pic related minus the small tin on the right
>>
>>2209452
Also unironically a "how to"
>>
>>2199721
I personally say get rain pants with good velcro if you want to keep it lighter, cheap ones exist but keep in mind if you don’t take your boots off you have to not be retarded otherwise you will kick a huge tear in it and they will disintegrate. Otherwise, just get regular rain pants and deal with it. You don’t have to bring them every time.
>>
>>2199772
Literally the cheapest shittiest one you can find. There has never existed a headlamp besides heavy caving shit that lasts any appreciable amount of time, they always break. Thus, get a couple and when they inevitably don’t work swap them out. Or just don’t use them.
>>
>>2199772
I have a nitecore NU25 and I like it a lot, it has separate button for red lighting so you don't nigger your eyes by accident and the white light can go bright as fuck for like 30 seconds before it starts overheating and turns down
>>
>>2202000
???
If you’re just walking around town for two hours why do you need water
>>
>>2202123
Toss your cookwear and learn to love Chef Boyardee or whatever freeze dried astronaut food is popular now if you care about weight. Also, the first thing on your list should be water, as well as the second and third thing. Bring excess and do not forget it.
>>
I just moved to Oregon from the east and it's beautiful and lovely. I'm not used to so much public land though. There are multiple National Forests, National Parks, BLM land, etc. I'm overwhelmed. I'm excited to go out camping and hiking, but I don't know where to check for permits and all of that shit. We didn't have this where I'm from.
>>
>>2209452
>Any recommendations for babbys first fishing pole
Unironically go to walmart and pick up a cheapo kit (rod, reel, usually a small bit of tackle). They come with instructions and everything.
>>
>>2195930
Grab a notebook and write down a bunch of reassuring notes for your future self addressing your inevitable fears that will arise when you're /out/
Just walk somewhere quiet/secluded, bring some food and water, maybe some nice comfort food like a dr.pepper and some cookies, find some trees or whatever
Sit down, chill and ride it out
Read your notes to remind yourself that everythings fine and that you're being irrational, because everything IS fine and you ARE being irrational
Maybe listen to a podcast or watch videos on your phone
if you're capable of making your way home in that state you're capable of just sitting there and riding it out
Point is, RIDE IT OUT, fucking cry and hyperventilate if you have to just ride it out til you come out the other side
if/when you eventually have to go home, take your notebook out again and write more notes about your experience, your thoughts at the time and what went wrong
re-read those notes when you're feeling more level and laugh at yourself for how retarded you are
get over it and try again tomorrow or the day after
>>
Where can i find public power outlets to charge my phone and battery bank while /out/?
Specifically in Australia
I don't wanna have to rent a room just to charge my shit and i'd really prefer an alternative to sitting in a pub or cafe for 5 hours
I've only done a couple overnighters so this has never been an issue but i'm planning a 10 or so day hike soon, then a 30+ day hike along the coast and battery is my only real barrier
>>
Is there any actual wilderness left in England?
Especially where I live in the south east, I just want to go innawoods and camp without being disturbed but it's just small pockets of forest already busy with people, surrounded by roads and towns. Can't see any nice options that don't involve driving across the country apart from "wild" campsites.
>>
>>2209560
Really? Ok. I would’ve thought they were unusable shit tier
>>
>>2209683
>is there any /out/ left in my country?
>wait, no, not that part of my country, I don't want to leave the most densely populated area
>>
>>2209716
Lad, you can literally fish with a stick with a string tied to it. Yeah, they aren't great but if you're just getting into it there's no point spending a decent chunk of change on something you don't even like. Usually the Wal-mart kits aren't actually all that bad. Just make sure you get an adult rod and not one for kids. You can use the ones for kids if you really want, they're smaller but you'll want a bigger one, trust. If you REALLY want to spend more money, get the kit and then get some better fishing line. 8 pound spider wire will allow you catch most of what's available in freshwater in the US.
>>
>>2194761
has anyone been to algonquin park before? what are some good spots to see the leaves and shit?
>>
>>2209756
Thanks man
>>
new thread here:

>>2209839
>>
>>2209842
Why make a new thread already? This one will still be up nearly a month from now.
>>
>>2209847
DC faggot just NEEDS to have his posts on the catalog

He already tried hijacking:
>the fishing general
>the mushroom general
>the pipe general

and derailed a bunch more threads. Now he's trying to hijack the QTDDTOT, because he just NEEDS attention to survive,
>>
>>2195930
don't listen to >>2196075 and take benzos
just take things one step at a time, maybe trying takign a stroll to the park first and just sit around for as long as you have time and can stand it, your brain will eventually realize there is no danger and then you will feel fine in that area, then try more and more places.
when I get anxious about being out to far I just feel the ground under me and think about how every thing around me is an expression of gods love, the scenery a painting made just for me.
>>
>>2196004
jordan peterson has some pretty good things to say on the subject of agoraphobia
>>
Girlfriend is a slow hiker, will getting a pair of trekking poles for her to use help her keep pace with me?
>>
Lets say in find an anomaly /innawoods/, like asexually reproducing biological batteries, or cotton that grows exclusively on metal.
Who should i report it to ? A university ? The Catholic church ? Some professor ?
>>
>>2209888
Wow, good compilation my friend. I thought this guys fuckery was limited to HGM. I think he's the one that derails us with climate change, whether corn is grass, larp accusations, and calling people racist.
>>
>>2197951
What is it?
>>
>>2194776
Something no one has suggested, one of those buckets with a toilet seat on it. Actually got my GF /out/ after buying one of them. You would be surprised how much not having a toilet puts a woman off.
>>
>>2207305
I personally drive a 4x4 GMC Jimmy, never had any problems, and not crazy expensive.
>>
>>2207305
Subaru Outback

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.