[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 75 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

[Advertise on 4chan]

Fisherman’s Clench edition

Feel free to post tobaccos (no weed allowed), pipes, collections, pics of favorite combos for going /out/, pics of what you're doing with your pipe and any questions you might have.

Want to get into smoking pipes without spending too much cash?
Get a Missouri Meerschaum Legend corncob pipe and a pouch of either Captain Black or Half and Half tobacco, available at most drugstores.
What you'll need: pipe, tobacco, lighter or matches, pipe cleaners, and either a regular old nail or a pipe tool (combination tamper, scoop, and small pick).
All of these together should run you less than $25.

Having trouble keeping your pipe lit? Fill it with less tobacco and smoke it slower than you think you need to, lightly tamping as needed when the smoke starts thinning out.
If you're still having trouble, try filling your pipe this way:
https://youtu.be/0XHYPso7TXs

Old thread >>2163217
Come on in and get comfy.
>>
File: corncob.png (913 KB, 1435x1041)
913 KB
913 KB PNG
keep impurities out of good tobacco
>>
>>2194241
Based.
>>
>>2194232
I worked at Savinelli when I was a kid and been a fan ever since, as for tobacco, I make my own blend of red and yellow Virginia, a touch of Latakia and seasonal herbs, sometimes it's a bit of lavender, other times it's sage and chamomile
>>
>>2194241
Based

What do you think rockwell smoked? He mentioned he had a maple rum blend packed in his pipe in one of his interviews
>>
>>2194415
Are their pipes worth it?
>>
i got the 4noggins starter pack a while ago, and so far i've only smoked a few bowls, always of their britts balkan blend. couldn't tell you anything about it, other than it tastes and smells amazing.

however, after smoking i always have a bit of a warm plastic-y aftertaste, could this be because of the new briar pipe, or does that come from the tobacco?
>>
>>2194449
I have one of their churchwardens (two, actually, as I broke one and I bought another of the same). They're good, and fairly cheap. Though I did notice on the replacement pipe that I get condensation leaking from the stem face, which suggests an improper fit of the tenon. Except everything feels solid, definitely nothing loose. I'll try using beeswax to get a better seal, see if it helps.
>>
>>2194499
right, the stem is usually pretty loose but on purpose, condensation has multiple variables, and I would venture out to say that on churchwardens it's almost inevitable
>>2194449
their cheap ones are of far better quality than their competitors, in the shop the same artisans are doing the quick cheap ones as well as the 1k+ ones, yes we were doing them quicker but the quality and price is driven more from briar quality, frills and fittings always come after, that way even the cheap ones are treated with care, when i was in i always took pride never to let ANY stem bent even slightly off go out (they still do it by hand)
>>
File: 002-010-1339.jpg (20 KB, 600x435)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>2194595
The confusing part is that my previous churchwarden (identical model) didn't have any issue with the same tobacco. So the only difference has to be the fitment, because the design inside and out is the same (allowing for some variance since they are handmade). I should get my old one re-stemmed, it was only the tenon that snapped.

Also, I recently discovered that Butz-Choquin is kill. Sad, almost made it to 150 years in business. I have a gourd calabash of theirs and it's by far my favorite pipe.
>>
>>2194667
161 years, rather.
>>
What tobaccos do you guys mix together? I’ve been wanting to try blending some of my tobaccos and seeing what I come up with, but I’m not sure what would go well together and I don’t want to just randomly experiment and end up wasting a whole bowl because they don’t blend well.
>>
>>2194772
wasting is a necessary part of experimentation. I like blending aromatics (1Q+BCA, etc.), or adding cube cut burley to PA or CH or something. Just play around with it.
>>
>>2194772
Like the other guy said, 1Q and BCA is a classic blend. I do 1:1, it's my go-to aromatic. I also do a mystery mix every time I get to the bottom of my jars and want to make room for new tobacco. Toss all the different dregs into a single bag, shake it up, and see what happens.
>>
>>2194928
>Toss all the different dregs into a single bag, shake it up, and see what happens
I like this.
Me personally whenever I come across a blend that doesn't move me I dump it into my odds n ends jar with the other baccys that I deemed mediocre, blend it with a shitload of straight Latakia and wa la.
>>
>>2194824
Well, I decided to try mixing some this morning, and it turned out really good actually. I mixed one half early morning pipe and one half sutliff sweet Virginia, and man was it tasty. It provided a milder smoke than straight early morning pipe and was a good balance of sweet but not too sweet. It paired quite well with my vanilla coffee.

I’m a pipe noob maybe some old timers will yell at me about how those two weren’t a good mix or something like that, but I don’t really mind because I enjoyed it.
>>
>>2195274
it's a fairly well-known phenomenon that if you mix up a bunch of blends you don't like, the resulting mixture tends to be somewhere between "smokeable" and "really good". anybody who's been smoking a pipe very long winds up with a jar of "anon's leftovers and rejects" mixture.
>>
>>2194232
Pipe people. How do I enjoy a pipe without having the taste in my mouth for a full day? I've brushed my teeth like crazy, but I can't get the taste out. I want it when I want it, not forever after, you know? If I could solve that problem, I'd smoke a lot more.
>>
>>2195287
i'm a noob, but i never have this issue. cigars cause much more long term taste / feel in my mouth than pipes, and i smoke pipes with no filters.
i wonder if it's a technique thing, maybe drafting too deeply? are you a cigarette smoker?
>>
>>2195304
No, I can't do the smoke in the lungs thing. It fucks me up too bad. I wonder if I had a longer stem if the smoke would be cooler and less sticky in my mouth. I don't know what the fuck is up anymore.
>>
>>2195313
>if I had a longer stem if the smoke would be cooler
there are some very experienced vets in here that will tell you a churchwarden is LARP and doesn't impact the thermodynamics of smoking whatsoever
>>
>>2195317
keeps passive smoke away from your face tho, that's worth something
>>
>>2195317
well fine. saves me the failed experiment.
>>
>>2195434
For when I'm on the watch for young hoodlums that might be out to deface my church!
>>
>>2195441
don't get me wrong, i wanna be literally gandalf and will be buying a churchwarden because of it. but they allege that it will in no positive way impact my smoke.
>>
>>2195317
As a churchwarden-haver, can confirm. If there is any cooling of the smoke, it isn't noticeable. Vulcanite rubber has a low thermal conductivity, so the heat loss of passing through an extra couple inches of stem is negligible. The only way to achieve that effect is to have like an extra long aluminum stem with radiator fins and an internal baffle system, or a water cooling setup like a hookah.

>>2195287
I noticed eating Brie helped with cigar mouth, other anons probably have their own go-to foods or drinks. But in the end, your tongue may simply be more sensitive than others'.
>>
>>2195454
I mean, they DO look very striking.

>>2195455
I appreciate the advice. Maybe it's the fats/oils in the cheese. If that works... I may have to reassess my opinion of Brie.
>>
>>2195472
Brie is also an ammonia-heavy cheese, which leaves a strong aftertaste. Could just be that it masks the taste of smoke for a while. I like Brie so maybe it's just an excuse to eat it, who knows.
>>
>>2195285
I usually dump last bit of everything into a leftovers jar and dip into it occasionally. That way you can save up enough to smoke when you're left with less than a full bowl, and it's always changing/ evolving.
>>
>>2195546
I do the same. I put a label on it, "Junkyard Blend." I'll shake it every so often to mix it together a bit, and I've had some better and worse smokes from it depending what's in it at the time.
>>
Now I want to break out the pipe stand and pick one to take with me on my next hike.
>>
>>2195546
>it's always changing/ evolving
That's my favorite part of doing this. You always get something new and 100% unique, and you'll probably never get the same blend again. The blend is in constant flux and the smoking experience is transient, like the human condition. One could almost call it poetic, if poetry weren't the last refuge of the bearded, cricket-hating sodomite.
>>
Just quit
>>
>>2195629
By all means! For whatever reason, a pipe in the woods has always been a step above the same blend and bowl on my back patio.
>>
>>2195653
No.
>>
>>2195472
the oils are a likely candidate. probably lots of stuff in tobacco smoke that are oil-soluble. I find milk or ice cream does wonders both for tobacco mouth and for tongue bite. afaict tongue bite is mostly an alkaline burn.
>>
>>2195687
>tongue bite is mostly an alkaline burn
Doubt. Humid tobaccos are known to have more bite than dry ones, so it follows that it's a function of steam content.
>>
>>2195709
more steam = more mass transfer too
i wouldn't count it based purely on that
>>
Need a chunky pipe
>>
>>2196218
Does the smoke bother your eyes that close?
>>
>>2196233
>he doesn't have smoking goggles
get a load of this chump
>>
>>2196233
Smoke is only a problem if you stop sucking.
>>
>>2195709
more heat = faster reactions
>>
>>2195287
Drink whiskey with it
>but what if I'm smoking while in the car or in public
Drink whiskey from a pure leaf iced tea bottle
>>
>>2194232
Holy shit guys, if you haven't tried an aromatic english blend yet, you've got to try it.
Idk if they are all like this, but the Country Squire down in MS has this blend called Hunting Creek that is a crossover between aromatic and English, has cavendish and latakia. It's fantastic.
The room-note blows away anything else I've smoked, and the flavor is sweet and smoky. Idk if I can explain it. It just works.
I'm normally a straight VA/English smoker but this might become #1 in my rotation.
Idk if this is how frog morton was, I missed the boat on that one, but this shit is awesome.
>>
File: keystone.jpg (58 KB, 736x458)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
Thanks to whichever anon it was who recommended these. Absolutely brilliant.
>>
>>2196506
>has cavendish and latakia
so...a scottish blend then? Try the rattrays latakia blends, they all have cavendish and are really special. I'm particularly fond of Black Mallory. Other really good english aromatic are Davidoff English Mixture, L. J. Peretti Crown, Dunhill My Mixture 965 (I guess it's a Peterson blend now), and Stokkebye English Luxury.

A lot of guys will just mix some aromatic tobacco into their normal mixture, you can do it as you load the pipe, or you can even layer the two tobaccos into a "parfait". Stokkebye Proper English and Lane 1-Q are pretty commonly mixed together to make an aromatic english.
>>
>>2196936
>or you can even layer the two tobaccos into a "parfait"
Oh shit, how have I never thought of this? I know what I'm doing next time I smoke.
>>
>>2196510
redpill me on this
>>
>>2197103
some type of viking clay. porous, but not as porous as meerschaum. drop a few in the bottom of your bowl and they suck up any liquid condensing in the bowl or shank.
>>
>>2197114
sounds great for a churchie. Ill check em out thanks
>>
File: arrival.jpg (203 KB, 1920x1080)
203 KB
203 KB JPG
Noob here, started with a cob and some borkum riff last week, riff is better than the reviews would suggest but its a bit bland. Can anon recommend me a good english with a strong nicotine hit and a fruity aromatic to try?
>>
>>2197208
>good english with a strong nicotine hit
Nightcap

>fruity aromatic
Lane 1q and BCA mixed together.
>>
>>2197209
thanks
>>
>>2197195
They sell pipes that take them in a special chamber. I love mine.
>>
I had some FVF the other day. Like the Balkan Flake I've tried previously I really struggled keeping it lit, can anyone give me some pointers to deal with flake over ribbon?
>>
>>2197411
I always rub my flake out until it's mostly ribbon-like. Never did have consistent success with the fold-and-stuff method, maybe I need to screw around with it some more because it's mighty convenient.
>>
What's more important for an enjoyable smoke?
High quality pipe or high quality tobacco?
>>
>>2197471
Tobacco. Corn cobs are hardly "high quality", but you can have a damn good smoke out of one. The pipe is just a container for the tobacco, so as long as the design and build is not completely retarded, you should be fine.
>>
Bros, what the fuck is this thing?
https://www.cupojoes.com/morgan-pipes-the-briar-cigar-stogie-sandblast/
>>
>>2197848
it's a tube
you pack tobaccos in one end and suck on the other end
the cap is because it probably holds quite a lot and is expected to be stashed and later re-lit \
I have something similar but it's weed related so I won't post it
>>
>>2197848
The creator himself explaining how it works:
https://youtu.be/UUEj9XsRt24

>>2197849
It doesn't hold much, apparently. Like 20 minutes worth of tobacco. But it is indeed for capping it so you can put it out and relight it later as needed. Neat idea but seems like a really niche market, can't imagine too many people want this kind of pipe.
>>
>>2197431
When you rub it out do you rub it between your finger tips or your palms? Sorry for such a basic question but when I rub it I find it unwinds a bit then just clumps together
>>
>>2198105
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ux7ewE4d9o

This may help.
>>
>>2197848
>>2197874
Opinion Alert: This is absolutely retarded and I have serious doubts that the thing even smokes worth half a damn.
Its only interesting component is the plug/cap, which you could just affix to an ordinary pipe and reap all the benefits of this 'invention' without any of the jackassery.
Maybe I'll try smoking my pipe sideways to get the full effect.
>>
File: 20210829_143631.jpg (706 KB, 1849x1188)
706 KB
706 KB JPG
Finally decided to quit lurking and participate. Grabbed this Missouri (Country Gentleman I think?) and a bag of amazing smelling tobacco that they recommend for beginners. Looking forward to going innawoods and innadesert with it.
>>
what should i do with tobacco i don't end up liking? i have a bunch of small 1-2oz quantities that are just sitting and will never be smoked
>>
>>2198385
toss it, obviously
>>
>>2198385
cram it up your ass
>>
>>2198398
shut up cody
>>
>>2198334
>amazing smelling tobacco that they recommend for beginners
Which one did they recommend?
>>
>>2198385
combine it or blend it in small dilution parts into leaf you DO like
or toss
>>
File: 20210829_182210.jpg (682 KB, 1849x1387)
682 KB
682 KB JPG
>>2198405
It's an in-house blend they call Dr. Charley's. I haven't smoked it yet, but the tobacco itself has a very pleasantly sweet smell with bits of chocolate and a little cherry. Granted, I'm new at this so my experience is limited to the samples they had, but it was the one that immediately jumped out to me in terms of smell.
>>
>>2198423
smell usually doesn't correlate to taste with tobacco, all i ever get from aromatics is a nasty glycol taste
>>
>>2198105
Fingers. I separate the flake by pinching it apart until it kind of resembles ribbon cut tobacco. I don't get autistic about it and break it down as thin as possible, just so it can be dropped into the pipe reasonably well (I pack with the Frank method).
>>
>>2198105
>>2198477
I had a lot of issues smoking flake tobacco, and what did it for me was rubbing it out vigorously and forcefully. Really get in there and try to rub it to shreds. Usually both palms and fingers, keeping it in one palm while working it with the fingers of the opposite hand. Flake usually has a high moisture content and can really take a beating, so I rub it out until it is thoroughly fluffed up and bears no resemblance to flake at all, looking like regular ribbon cut. Then I leave it to dry for 15-90 minutes on a plate depending on the moisture content.
>>
>>2198547
As a word of caution, this method assumes your flake has a lot of moisture. If not you will probably end up with tobacco dust.
>>
>>2198385
mix it up and toss it into a mason jar. see >>2195285
>>
File: 0829211654.jpg (1.28 MB, 2801x1773)
1.28 MB
1.28 MB JPG
took a break in the barn yesterday from hanging leaves up to dry. smoked some brigardier black aromatic. but cot dam was it hot out. what's everyone's favorite hot afternoon leaf?
>>
File: Orlik.jpg (48 KB, 472x354)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>>2198638
north texas here, too hot for anything but sweet sweet virginia like OGS or LGF, or some lane aromatics.
>>
>>2198638
>>2198662
I'm a desert rat and OGS is my go-to as well.
>>
>>2198662
>>2198668
Based shrewd judges.
>>
>>2198662
Not growing your own smoke fuck man ngmi
>>
>>2198908
typical drug addict can't read OP
>no weed allowed
>>
>>2198908
go to /drugfeels/ on /r9k/

>>>/r9k/drugfeels
>>
>>2198922
I swear they do it just to piss people off.
>>
>>2199054
But tobacco causes cancer and weed cures it, maaaaan.
>>
>>2199156
It is funny to me that the same people will say the earth can't hurt and we need to ban tobacco
>>
>>2198207
>>2198477
>>2198547
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll give them a try and see what works for me
>>
>>2198334
I like the way the grain looks on this corncob. Good color, too.
>>
what's your all's absolute favorite blend to chooch while outdoors?
i think i've got a tie between c&d byzantium, presbyterian mixture and drucquer and sons levant mixture, but overall would probably take levant mixture
>>
>>2201046
Probably either Carter Hall or Three Nuns. Just something mild that I can half-ignore while doing other stuff.
>>
>>2198908
Fuck off hippy
>>
>>2198908
>implying some of us don't grow our own tobacco
>>
>>2201046
L. J. Peretti Royal
>>
Alright Anons, I like English and Balkan Blends, but I’m feeling the urge to branch out.
What’s a less-common blend that you like?
Are there any newly released blends you like and think I ought to try?
>>
>>2202551
Capstan
>>
>>2202551
Tried Charatan blends? If I recall correctly they wanted to fill the gap when Dunhill stopped producing, but started their production before it was announced that Peterson was taking over. While Person got the rights to the Dunhill recipes and can more or less recreate them perfectly, Charatan were merely trying to imitate, or take inspiration from, the Dunhill blends. Unfortunately, Peterson taking over for Dunhill now made the Charatan line less relevant. Still, it's an interesting story and since they're inspirations rather than reproductions it makes them stand out in their own light.
>>
Took yesterday, was comfy
>>
File: 1622794708319.jpg (127 KB, 1024x553)
127 KB
127 KB JPG
>>2202683
they're pretty poor imitations. the McConnell stuff is much better, supposedly McConnell used to make them for Dunhill back in the 60's and 70's. I've tried Charatan Curzon and it's pretty ghastly, whereas McConnell's Oriental Square is quite close to Durbar. Not identical, but then there isn't one true Durbar, it's one of those blends that have changed quite a bit over the decades as leaf availability waxed and waned, but Oriental Square is right there.
>>
I'm not a particularly seasoned pipe smoker but I've noticed that pretty much all pipe smokers refuse to inhale or even look down on the act of inhaling. Most of the time when I smoke my pipe I don't inhale and just enjoy the flavor but every now and then I inhale to get the extra buzz from it. Does anyone here ever inhale or is it really that much of a faux pas?
>>
>>2203056
Most pipe tobacco isn’t mild enough to make inhaling really enjoyable.

But if it makes your day, you do you.
>>
>>2203056
>faux pas
who gives a red rat's ass what you do with your own tobacco?
for me it's retrohaling, but ultimately nobody cares or should care
>>
>>2203195
>or
nor
>>
>>2203195
>red rat's ass
I've never heard or read "red" rat's ass until now. I might have to use that.

I also like "[doesn't give] half a rat's ass."
>>
>>2203056
pipe tobacco is almost always cased with tasty stuff that is not suitable for inhaling, or the tobacco is otherwise smoke cured / of a general quality of leaf that is not meant for inhaling

If you want a buzz just smoke stronger tobacco, mouth puffing the stronger blends from a large bowled piece WILL get you the buzz you want.
>>
>>2201046
C&D Bayou Morning goes in the cob while I'm fishin. Any kind of aromatic in the briar whilst chillin by the fire with a mug of cocoa.
>>
>>2203056
>but every now and then I inhale to get the extra buzz from it
I do this too, especially for mild tobaccos. There's no right or wrong in this hobby, do whatever makes you happy. Leave the elitism to the middle-aged goateed cigar aficionados.
>>
>>2203465
Bayou Morning is good stuff
sounds comfy
>>
>>2194449
Let me say it like this; if you're tight on budget but want a decent smoke with an Italian brand, get a Rossi. If money is no object and you still want an Italian brand to sport, get a Savinelli.

>>2203056
Smoke a pure burley blend, as burley is the nic king.

>>2201046
Outdoors, indoors, any doors there is, I love my all-day smoke of Sutliff J4. What an aromatic, it is!
>>
>>2202563
based capstan poster.
it was my first tobacco, on suggestion of a Spanish friend of mine.
only later did I find out the significance of its tie with JRR Tolkien.
>>
>>2197490
>>2197471
This. I've owned a Mizzou for about two years now and it smokes just as well as when I got it. And that's with low maintenance, as well!
>>
>>2196233
I've only ever had problems with smoke getting into my eyes with my oom paul while bending over. Otherwise, especially if your head is level, it wasn't much of an issue.
>>
File: sza-tp-1000.jpg (32 KB, 500x500)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>2204746
>pure burley blend
Speaking of, anyone have experience with pic related? Seems like a polarizing tobacco, I'm debating whether or not to pay the premium just to risk hating it.
>>
>>2204785
So I recently bought it and it's a strange blend. If you're into cigar leaf, you will definitely see the value in it. It comes in incredibly dry, and I'm still developing an opinion on it, but it's middling between having been a waste and being a good purchase. I guess there's nuance in the flavor that I haven't picked up on yet, but really I havent had enough experience with orientals/floral blends to list a contemporary taste to give you a semblance of an idea of what it's like.
>>
Macqueen pipe. Nice to smoke but teeth on wood feels unnatural/like I’m hurting the pipe.
>>
>>2206195
I was literally just about to buy that exact model myself as an unironic LARP pipe to go with my Ranger getup.
Any reason that you can find that I shouldn't?
>>
>>2198385
Just toss it in a mason jar and add all your little leftovers from other tobaccos. Shake the jar occasionally and over time you'll end up with a junkyard blend that'll be decently smokable.
>>
>>2206251
>Any reason that you can find that I shouldn't?
I got it for about the same reason and I actually ended up smoking it pretty regularly. Well made. So it gets a recommendation from me. I'm no expert or anything though.
>>
i've come to the conclusion red virginia is disgusting and ruins any blend it's in
>>
>>2206665
the mcclelland virginia was the worst. fucking ketchup in the tin, blowtorch in the pipe.
>git gud faggot
there's a reason they went out of business. their "signature" stuff was god awful shit.
>>
>>2206788
I never understood the hype around Frog Morton.
>>
File: 0911211231a_HDR.jpg (1.51 MB, 2848x1602)
1.51 MB
1.51 MB JPG
>>2198638
an update
>>
File: 0909211716.jpg (2.93 MB, 2848x1602)
2.93 MB
2.93 MB JPG
>>2207144
still no idea what i'm doing. but they feel nice. i think i'll harvest the leaves once more then cut the whole plant down and hang them up in bundles.
>>
>>2207146
some notes an old timer gave me on leddit
1 Air dry
2 (What I did) make casing solution. -brown sugar -flavorings you want -apple vinegar --l equal parts sugar and water, boil, add in a slash or two of vinegar and cook for ten min. This changes the chemical composition of the sugar in a positive way. Add other flavorings as well.
3 Mist this solution onto your leaves. You don't want to soak them just a light coat.
4 Heat them up. put them in a glass jar that can handle it then set that sealed jar into boiling water. about ten min.
5 Remove from jar and put into a chamber where you can keep it above 50°c and have at least some control over humidity.
6 Leave them there for ten days moving them around once or twice a day. Better to leave them a solid two weeks I think.
7 Destem
8 Put on some food grade sheet of something, roll them up and wrap them in natural twine -soak the natural twine beforehand, about ten min
9 tie one end to a pole and the other to the end of your new tobacco roll. Slowly and as tight as you can, wrap the tobacco roll by pulling and twisting until it's done.
10 Place back into hot chamber for several days.
11 Remove and unwrap, cut into pieces that fit into your jar.
12 Seal them in jar and place back into hot chamber
13 Open jar once or twice a day to release chemicals and check moisture
14 Once it starts smelling fruity you've really got something. Summer say to leave it in there a bit longer.
>>
File: stones_65_tv.jpg (65 KB, 492x400)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
Are there any interesting docos/videos on tobacco and its manufacture? Like the differences between Burley/Virginias/Latakia etcetera?
I know there's a few old timey English films like this on youtube
https://youtu.be/TQnQbGbDj5g
anything like this out there?
>>
CORN COB PIPE AND A
BUTTON NOSE AND
TWO EYES MADE
OUT OF COALLLLL

hahaha , who here likes smoking American spirit yellow mellow baby
>>
So I'm new to this and I've been enjoying the aromatics that the tobacconist recommended. They smell amazing, but don't really taste like much which I understand is generally the case with aromatics. What kind of non-aromatic tobaccos would you guys recommend for something with interesting flavors? Bonus points if it's fairly easy to keep lit, but I can git gud for the right one.
>>
>>2208950
Virginia/Perique is a unique flavour. Any heavy English blend with lots of Latakia is tasty.
>>
File: PXL_20210909_193646906.jpg (3.56 MB, 3024x4032)
3.56 MB
3.56 MB JPG
>>
>>2208950
When smoking aromatics, you have to smoke slooooow if you want to get any flavor out of them. They're a lot more sensitive to temperature, I find. And smoking slow and cold means much less tolerance for a shitty pack. Beginners often go for aros because they're mild and smell nice, but IMO they're an intermediate tobacco, better for when you know what you're doing.

Like anon said, try a Va/Per next.
>>
>>2208950
Can never go wrong with Capstan Blue, anon. JRR Tolkien's favorite tobacco and one of my personal favorites as well (also my first). I started on the actual flakes but you can buy ready rubbed for the same price to save you some hassle.
>>
File: 1602299332746.jpg (71 KB, 500x375)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
>>2208950
Capstan Blue as >>2209333 mentioned. Another good virginia is Dan Tobacco's Hamborger Veermaster (aka Hamburger Beermaster due to the font). They're both very easy to smoke for beginners, while still beloved by experienced pipe smokers. I just finished a bowl of a 15yo tin of Veermeister I found in one of my boxes and it was sublime. fortunately I found several more in that box...
>>
>>2208950
Cornell and Diehl Bayou Morning is my #1 smoke, that's what I graduated to after starting with lower quality aromatics and it is still my favorite years later. It's a Virginia/Perique with 25% Perique, and I love the way it burns in a cob while I'm fishing. It's got a typical bright Virginia profile, while the Perique adds a bit of spice and depth.
>>
>>2209427
>>2209420
>>2209333
>>2209067
>>2208968
Thanks for the recommendations, anons. I'll check these out and hopefully quit burning the shit out of my tongue until I can get the technique down.
>>
>>2197471
Fuck cobs, clay is the way.

Far drier and true flavored smoke. Clays are dirt cheap also.
>>
>>2209572
>clay
>gets hot as fuck

yeah no thanks

cob for VaPer and English
briar for aromatics
simple as
>>
>>2198908
nice bait you got me haha you win
>>
>>2197208
MacBaren HH rustica
>>
>>2209610
Aluminum foil and a McDonald's straw for cigarette butt sweepings
Simple as
>>
>>2209572
Nording keystones bro
>>
>>2209610
Are you holding the bowl anon? Hold the stem.
I've never had a hot smoke in a clay pipe, albeit I've never owned a false clay pipe either. See, maybe you've had run ins with porcelain """clay""" pipes which don't possess any of the charm of a true clay pipe except that it mimics the look.

>>2209572
This anon has the right idea, albeit I still love cobs as well and enjoy both, clays have given me far smoother, cooler, and more enjoyable smokes over my cobs. It also helps that clays are incredibly low maintenance likewise. No need to run a pipe cleaner through unless you have one with a genuine stem (which also solves the clenching problem). And just look at how dashing they look! The cobs might have their own corner on charm but the classic tavern or cutty is just brimming with history.
>>
File: 250b8cec0.jpg (35 KB, 396x492)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>2209749
Well, I take that back, I only ever had one bad smoke now that I remember. But it was entirely my fault, I smoked tobacco that was too dry too quickly (some Virginian blend, at that) and it came through too hot. But as long as you keep to a regular tempo and don't huff it like I did, you should get an enjoyable smoke every time.
>>
>>2209610
>cob for VaPer and English
>briar for aromatics
>simple as

Lmao! That is literally backwards!

Enjoy the tongue bite and lost flavor from the too open draw on the cob for Va's and the crazy ghosted bullshit in your briars from crap aromatics!
>>
>>2209876
>tongue bite
no
>lost flavor
no
>ghosted bullshit
not if you clean your pipe after every use you lazy disgusting mongoloid faggot
>crap aromatics
stop being poor, niggerfaggot
>>
>>2209749
>>2209751
Where does one purchase a clay pipe?
Tobacconists in my country don't really stock pipe smoking stuff anymore and anything tobacco related is way too expensive (local tax is insane) so I order online from murrica, but 4nogs don't have clay pipes.
>>
>>2209749
This!

Also, imho, the only time the "churchwarden" style (actually tavern pipe style) does not look like some neckbeard LOTR Aragon wannabe faggot is with a clay.

But they give the truest flavor and most even smoking character, once you understand the basics, every single clay you own will give a perfect smoke with the only variable being the draw whereas other materials do not have such consistency (this is the charm of briar anyway).
>>
>>2209880
Lmao

>aromatics
>stop being poor

Literally the cheapest tobacco is aro's. Go back to reddshit and smoke a bowl of Cult Red Moon you queer.
>>
>>2209890
Smoking pipes
Pipes and Cigars
Many online pipe and tobacco shops
>>
>>2209908
shit aromatics are cheap, decent aromatics are not, here's your (You) now kindly kys yourself
>>
>>2209912
Tell you what, send me a timestamped photo of you drinking your own cum and i will charity you a tin of frog morton's cellar that i loathe but i bought just so reddshit fags couldn't have it.
>>
>>2209916
Do you have anything that's actually good?
>>
>>2209920
>actually negotiating this deal

Guess how I know my suspicions abput you were correct.
>>
>>2209942
You're the one offering to pay for fag porn anon, not me
>>
Ordered my first pipe recently. Never smoked before. I guess I just want to larp like a hobbit while out camping.
What are some things a newbie should know/think of when using a pipe?
>>
>>2209948
Look up muttonchop piper on youtube, his beginner videos will tell you everything you need to know
>>2209916
> bought just so reddshit fags couldn't have it.
Based.
>>
>>2209948
First and foremost, learn how to pack a bowl.
>>
>>2209948
Remember to buy meme blends like Capstan and Eastfarthing to complete the full LARP experience
>>
>>2209948
What did you buy?
>>
>>2209948
Pace yourself. Don't suck on that shit like OP at a steam bath, you'll just get tongue bite and burn up any flavor in the tobacco. And obviously, lrn2 pack. It's the single biggest factor in your smoking experience. If the pack isn't right, pull it and try again. Better to waste 2 minutes instead of 60+, fighting with your pipe the whole way.
>>
>>2209944
I said wanted you to humiliate yourself by drinking your own cum, i didn't say I wanted to see you jerk off you poof.

If you consider that porn... again my suspicions of you are confirmed.
>>
>>2209977
You tried to buy fag porn, that is a fact.
>>
>>2209980
Well, if you, as a fag, consider that porn, then I stand corrected, it MUST in fact be fag porn...
>>
y'all need to chill and bring the love back to the former best thread on 4chin

wandered around downtown with some virginia today. good shit.
>>
>>2209948
Newbie things:
Pipes do not make you look cool; if you actually DO look cool pipe will make you look less cool unless you are actually cool enough to make the pipe look more cool, which you are not.

It is not about looking any sort of way, it is about enjoying the substance nicotine and the plant tobacco from which it comes.

Don't do stupid shit like spending hours worrying about perfecting some dilletante method of packing or worrying about cake or such... figure out how to stuff some tobacco in it in a manner which burns well... this differs by the tobacco and the MOST important part if the prep and drying of the tobacco, so obsessing over packing technique is a stupid waste of time.

Try Prince Albert and some of the basic, non-pretentious brands that have been around for years. Don't fall into memebaccos.

Enjoy.
>>
>>2209990
>wandered around downtown with some virginia today. good shit.

Congrats?
>>
>>2209749

>No need to run a pipe cleaner through unless you have one with a genuine stem (which also solves the clenching problem).

Clenching a clay separates the men from the boys.
>>
>>2209987
You wanted to humiliate a man by making him drink his own cum for your enjoyment, and you wanted a graphic representation of same for which you offered payment. Faggotry + pornography is fag porn. I rest my case.
>>
>>2210037
I wanted proof of you drinking it (humiliation) not producing it (porn).

I suppose you could get one over on me by drinking some other man's sperm (faggotry) but that would be on you.

You tried to negotiate for a better offer (kikery).
>>
>>2209998
thanks man it was a really nice time. i never go downtown, it was a pleasant experience.
>>
>>2210058
A video of a man drinking semen sounds pretty fucking gay to me, friend.

>>2210060
>downtown
>pleasant experience
Do you live in a Swiss village or something? Those two words don't go together.

>>2209994
>perfecting some dilletante method of packing
Frank method is objectively the best, stay mad.
>>
Is picrel a meme or is it actually good?
>>
>>2210058
>reddit spacing
you have to go back
>>
>>2210085
it's not some holy grail tobacco or anything, but yeah it's quite good.
>>
>>2201393
Im starting but how to cure it to pipe tobacco??
>>
>>2210085
Meh. It's alright. Not worth the trouble of finding it lately desu. C&D has VaPers that are just as good.
>>
How many of you guys know about the other good stuff?
>>
>>2210173
Here's the answers to anything you can think of:
https://fairtradetobacco.com/forums/how-to-grow-tobacco.17/

I grew mine in pots, so I let the leaves stay on the stalk as long as possible, that way I wouldn't have to fuck around with curing in a box or bag any longer than I'd need to. It's dry here so you have to constantly spray-bottle the picked leaves to ensure they stay humid as they color cure (otherwise they dry green and are useless). But when you're dealing with boxes or bags, you have to make sure to air them out and watch for mold. So it's easier to let them ripen on the stem if you're just growing small amounts, unless your ambient humidity is good.

Once they turned brown, I dried them fully and piled them up for when I stop being a lazy fag and build myself a kiln. It's like a big humidor with a heater inside; the purpose is to keep the leaves at a certain temp and humidity for a few weeks to speed-age them and enable whatever magic enzymatic process to happen. This mellows the leaf and brings out the flavors. You have to air out the leaves every other day or so, to get rid of the ammonia (I was curing in bags the first year and this was happening at room temperature too, doesn't smell nice).

tl;dr
Read the link, they have guides n shiet
>>
>>2210186
Thanks heaps
>>
>>2210175
Squadron Leader is a Balkan not a VaPer, you're thinking of something else.
>>
>>2210066
i'm visiting downtown asheville
good shit
>>
i smoke cigars on the trail
>>
>tried 5 different GL Pease blends
>every blend with virginia in it tastes like licking a dusty chimney after eating ass
why do boomers cum in their pants over this guys shit?
>>
>>2210464
>why do boomers
they don't. the only people cooming over it are shills (scuse me "internet influencers") and zoomers who fall for that because they don't know any better. pease's stuff is made by cornell & deihl, and their tobacco is shitty af to begin with and pease doesn't get what ok stuff they do have.
>>
File: 12229707.jpg (63 KB, 300x300)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>>2210003
Cursed image
>>
>>2210175
Thanks, I've had my eye on the C&D Bayou night as well, might try that instead.
>>
>>2210085
It's pretty good, but nothing extraordinary like Anon said. It has a high moisture level (Samuel Gawith blends are notorious for this), which makes it highly suitable for aging in a sealed tin. Just be aware of this fact if you get it, as it may require some drying before it is smoked.
>>
>>2211140
it's also notorious for developing mold in the tin.
>>
>>2210003
And the wise from fools, apparently.

Especially when cooler-smoking pipes that are lighter, more compact, more durable and don’t chew holes in your teeth are cheaper then clays.
>>
>>2211969
Seems to me that clay pipes were something made out of necessity, not by deliberate design. Clay is literally everywhere and any retard can shape and fire a clay pipe, whereas you need woodworking tools and some skill to do briar or cherry or whatever. Not as much for corncob, but you still need access to corn for that.
>>
>>2195287
When you brush your teeth follow up with a tongue cleaner/scraper and mouthwash.
>>
>>2195287
smoke more to cover up the aftertaste
>>
>>2202961
Where is that, lad?
>>
>>2195287
Brush your tongue and the roof of your mouth.
>>
>>2212862
brushing your tongue also helps eliminate or at least reduce tongue bite, which for me always seems to be due to acidity (or alkalinity, never did a pH test) of the smoke rather than temperature.
>>
File: smoking.jpg (77 KB, 507x337)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
>>2212841
based
>>
File: clay.jpg (52 KB, 500x500)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
should I? it's like 5 bucks, but that's the only clay i can find in my area. the chamber depth is 31mm, how much smoke could I get out of it?
>>
>>2213400
I got a few small, cheap clays and honestly they suck ass
>>
>>2213417
I figured clay is cheaper than the average pipe already, so you might as well get a good quality one
>>
>>2213420
I probably won't try another clay desu, I have several cobs in rotation which I like and 2 decent + 1 shitty briars. I can't really see how a clay would enhance my smoking experience at this point, unless it was just a really cool design and something I'd want to put on my desk as an ornament.
>>
Do you inhale the smoke when smoking a pipe, like cigarettes? Or is it more like smoking a cigar?
>>
>>2213491
it is like a cigar
disgusting frogposter
>>
>>2213491
With milder tobaccos, I retrohale to get a little more nicotine effect. But normally, no. It's personal preference though, don't listen to any fag who tells you there's one correct way to smoke a pipe.
>>
>>2213525
>personal preference
so is faggotry, which doesn't make it any less gay.
>>
>>2213606
What do you have against being gay, Anon?
>>
>>2213730
Go away DC homo fag
>>
>>2213606
>nooo, you can't inhale your heckin smokerino, my pipe subreddit said it's wrong
Kill you are self.
>>
File: 1618972754865.gif (925 KB, 212x176)
925 KB
925 KB GIF
>>2213953
>phonepost
>>
>>2214242
No.
>>
File: 20210922_095744.jpg (3.74 MB, 4032x1816)
3.74 MB
3.74 MB JPG
In my opinion a thick walled corn cob like this is perfect for smoking while bicycling
>>
>>2202683
Eventide is pretty good, almost like a Nightcap but not so heavy.
>>
>>2214844
If the bike was a lawnmower this would be the most boomer pic ever
>>
File: xc629j1qcos51.jpg (181 KB, 838x1468)
181 KB
181 KB JPG
>>2215149
Needs the triple sip.
>>
>>2204746
>If money is no object and you still want an Italian brand to sport, get a Savinelli.
Lmao no.
If money is no object and you want Italian, get a Castello. Savs are decent but they’re middle tier imo.
>>
>>2215361
Yeah I got a Savinelli estate pipe for like $50 and it smokes great but definitely not a showstopper. Solid briars for the price they are.
>>
>>2215202
I lost
>>
>>2213525
You’re not supposed to inhale when retrohaling. You’re just pushing the smoke from your mouth out your nose through your sinuses.
>>
>>2215363
I just checked them out, and they look nice but I don't understand what a maker could do with a pipe to justify it costing $700.
>>
>>2215370
Well shit, apparently I've been using that term wrong. Apparently "French inhale" is what I do, it gives a more lung-friendly ratio of smoke:air for inhalation purposes. But I retrohale as well.
>>
>>2215408
A fine pipe is a work of art. I'm not a richfag so I got a couple decent estate pipes for purely utilitarian purposes. But, if you appreciate the craft and have the money I could see spending that much for a piece of art. Functionally, there's no difference between a $500 watch and a $10,000 watch but the $10,000 watch is more pleasant to look at and maybe feels better on your wrist. Same thing with a fancy pipe, it looks fuckin cool and probably feels great in your hand.
>>
>>2215417
Ok, I didn't consider that it might just be an aesthetic thing, thanks.
>>
File: LOTRpipes3.png (777 KB, 1173x879)
777 KB
777 KB PNG
>>2215408
>>2215417
Also might be a better quality wood, some of the grains are very desirable.

Do you guys rotate pipes? I heard that in a jewtube clip its to dry them out...
>>
File: 002-577-11223.8349.jpg (249 KB, 1200x600)
249 KB
249 KB JPG
>>2215361
What about the Rossi line? I've been eyeing a few, but I'm not sure about the quality compared to Savinelli (I've been looking at the Bing's Favorite as well)
>>
>>2215449
I don't smoke enough to warrant rotating, it's more just which I want to that day. Using a pipe only once a week and needing to to rest and cool down to protect the wood is old boomer consoomer tale. They just wanted to sell/justify having a bunch of pipes. I'd say if it is briar just let it cool off for a day after using it, if only to let the cool actually cool off and dry out the moisture. It doesn't need a week.
>>
>>2215461
Ahh gotcha
>>
so my GF is trying to quit cigarettes but likes actually smoking. She's given herself 1 year to 100% quit tobacco (been smoking for 20 years, ffs). She really wants to smoke something in a pipe or something that isn't pure cancer, but google pulls up almost nothing.

Can /out/o recommend things to try or look into? Preferably something that won't fuck her up or cause cancer.

so my GF is trying to quit cigarettes but likes actually smoking. She's given herself 1 year to 100% quit tobacco (been smoking for 20 years, ffs). She really wants to smoke something in a pipe or something that isn't pure cancer, but google pulls up almost nothing.

Can /out/o recommend things to try or look into? Preferably something that won't fuck her up or cause cancer.
>>
>>2215473
Get her some meth she'll suck your dick like a demon
>>
>>2215459
Rossi are fine. I’d say they’re a good budget to mid range depending on what you buy and a step below Savs. I have one of their el cheapo pipes and it smokes fine, as well as my non-system Petersons, but it’s not one of my favorites.
None of the big name pipes are going to be shitty, or anything, at least in my experience. You just get nicer quality for more money.
>>
>>2215408
>>2215417
>>2215422
>>2215449

Pretty much every factory pipe I own (Peterson, Sav, Ropp, etc) have some form of issue, even if minor: gurgling, draft hole drilled off center, draft hole too small, thin spots, finish issues, etc. Most of them are kinda crappy in terms of finish/wood selection. I have an estate Castello that has the most gorgeous combination of briar and finish I've ever seen, and has no imperfections. As a result it smokes very dry, doesn’t ghost easily, doesn’t get hot or threaten to burn through, is extremely light, and has a large enough draft hole that you’re not fighting it.
Is all of that worth an extra $200 over a factory standard Peterson or Sav? YMMV.
>>
>>2215473
Try prince albert very easy to pack and light for a beginner and decent bic hit due to high burly content.
>>
File: 20210922_201054.jpg (654 KB, 1387x1849)
654 KB
654 KB JPG
>>2209333
Thanks for the recommendation anon. I can't quite describe the smell but it reminds me of a comfy rural setting. The local tobacco guy also recommended some Nightcap, which I've not tried yet.
Still working on the technique to smoke the Old Toby I bought correctly. It smells great and I think I'm starting to figure it out, so I'm feeling encouraged
>>
>>2215709
Nightcap is real tasty. Might want to smoke on a full stomach though, it has a decent nic hit.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.