[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 79 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: HGM292.png (148 KB, 250x250)
148 KB
148 KB PNG
USDA Hardiness Zone Map: https://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/
Koppen Climate Map: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fb/K%C3%B6ppen_World_Map_High_Resolution.png

Search terms:
Agrarian, Agriculture, Agrology, Agronomy, Aquaculture, Aquaponics, Berkeley Method Hot Composting, Cold Frames, Companion Planting, Composting, Container Gardening, Co-operative Farming, Core Gardening Method, Cultivation, Deep Water Culture (DWC), Dry Farming, Espalier, Farmer's Market, Forest Gardening, Forestry, Fungiculture, Geoponics, Greenhouses, Homesteading, Horticulture, Hot Boxes, Hugelkultur, Humanure, Hydroponic Dutch Bucket System, Hydroponics, Keyhole Garden, Korean Natural Farming, Kratky Method, Landscaping, Lasagna Gardening, Ley Farming, Market Garden, Mulching, No-till Method, Ollas Irrigation, Orchard, Permaculture, Polyculture, Polytunnels, Propagation, Rain Gutter Garden, Raised Beds, Ranch, Rooftop Gardening, Ruth Stout Garden, Sharecropping, Shifting Cultivation, Soil-bag Gardening, Square Foot Gardening, Stale Seed Bed, Straw Bale Gardening, Subsistence Agriculture, Sugar Bush, Truck Farming, Vermiculture, Vertical Gardening, Window Frame Garden, Windrow Composting

Alpaca, Animal Husbandry, Antelope, Beefalo, Black Soldier Fly (BSF), Brushturkey, Cattle, Cavy, Chickens, Coypu, Crayfish, Curassow, Dairy, Deer, Donkey, Dove, Duck, Emu, Feeder Insect, Fish, Game Bird, Geese, Giant Guinea Pig (Cuy), Goat, Grouse, Guan, Guineafowl, Hedgehog, Heliciculture, Honey Bee, Iguanas, Llama, Ostrich, Partridge, Pheasant, Pigeon, Pig, Poultry, Quail/Bobwhite, Rabbits, Sheep, Silkworm, Snail, Toad, Trumpeter, Turkey, Worm

Resources:
General Info & Anon-created Guides: https://pastebin.com/Mvfh8b87

Archives:
1-191:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/5e8dcue3a9e1wzg
192-201:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/2i45hpg3h46rraw

Previous Thread: >>2167096

/HGM/ Unofficial Discord

https://discord.gg/fuZf4xWPNG
>>
>>2170995
Thanks, I had no idea I had to do that.
The soil is pretty bad and kinda clay-ish, paired with this extremely dry summer we're having, it means one afternoon is enough to make the surface completely dry. However, under the crust there's always moisture. So far I've been watering them each morning and they look great. Should I try watering only every other day?
I didn't explain correctly how I killed the other pumpkin a couple of years back. It had grown outside its bounds and since I didn't know it had rooted all along the branch, like I dumbass I tried redirecting it, uprooting it. It stayed alive for a while, but never recovered from the point of uprooting, and just kinda withered away in a couple of months.
>>
Ahem.

Fuck slugs.
>>
>>2171021
>The soil is pretty bad and kinda clay-ish, paired with this extremely dry summer we're having
Clay soil retains moisture better, so dry summer and clay balance each other out.
>>
>>2171026
Eat more eggs.
>>
corn is so overrated.you need to spend tons of fertilizer/compost just to get 1 or 2 cobs that are dirt cheap at store . you have to plant at least 12 of them otherwise they don't get pollinated properly
>>
>>2171047
ding ding ding. I planted 6 corns and babied those fuckers only to have half of them produce shit, and the other half produce some nasty, shriveled, bug-infested ears. Never again when I can go buy a dozen ears for $5
>>
>>2171047
>>2171050
For hobby gardens, sure. If you're trying to pack in as many calories as possible, corn and potatoes are the way to go. Not to mention the biomass you get from corn will add a lot to your soil. Most things you grow are cheaper to buy from the store over the initial investment in growing. Can you guys really not conceive of a possible scenario where you can't buy fresh corn from a store?
>>
>>2171053
>Most things you grow are cheaper to buy from the store over the initial investment in growing
no. that's only if you decide to spend a ton of money on fertilizer/compost/rare seeds. you can just collect seeds from previous plant and use piss/shit/egg shells/ashes/home made compost so your investment is 0
>>
>>2171047
>>2171050
>>2171053
>>2171060
I always tell newbie gardeners that if they are growing produce to save money, never go for potatoes, corns or any grains. There is simply no way for a home gardener to grow these things and not sink a ton of money into them.

If you want to do it for fun, or out of principle, go right ahead, but it is impossible unless you have a really ironed out compost system and chickens to save money growing them.
>>
File: 20210721_075257.jpg (1.8 MB, 3264x1632)
1.8 MB
1.8 MB JPG
Anyone know what these little flying bastards are? Seen them flying around my plants.
>>
File: 1626876805484.jpg (108 KB, 1280x720)
108 KB
108 KB JPG
I plan on making my own mini zen garden, and want to make a small river run through it.
Problem is, plastic or rubber would ruin the aesthetic and allow algae to grow on them.
Letting it run through the sand would slowly erode all the sand away.
And ideas?
>>
>>2171089
Make some concrete with the same sand that will go in your garden so the colour doesn't stand out?
>>
>>2171068
I don't agree about potatoes.

Literally all you need is a garden fork and some ground. They grow in basically any soil and a bag of seed potatoes costs like $2.
>>
>>2171068
seed potatoes are really cheap and you can make fertilizer for free. although I didn't even put any fertilizer first 2 years because soil was fresh from natural state
>>
>>2171110
>>2171119
I havent grown them myself so I can't argue with you guys, I just have year round availability of russets. 10 pounds for 5$ where I live, and that's simply too cheap for me to consider using a raised bed for potatoes. In comparison I can do 8-10~ indeterminate tomatoes in a bed, or 150+ heads of garlic.

Obviously for others not doing raised beds or people with more land it's not a problem
>>
>>2171018
Found some Indian Pipe growing in my yard and decided to try out making a tincture from it. Just dropped a few flowers in a jar of everclear, sure looks like it’s done its thing. Y’all have any experience with this stuff?
>>
>>2170537
lets hear it anon
>>
>>2171089
river stones, and affix them to a base in an appropriate way for your base material
>>
>>2171168
He just seems too artificial? Like, I understand that in his videos he is putting on a performance, that's normal because you can control the situation and present yourself in a certain way. However, he just seems so... like go watch any of his videos, now try and imagine him at a funeral crying or at a concert having a blast. I can't do it, I don't believe he has a spectrum of emotions when interacting with the public, he seems like a video game NPC and I don't mean that in the way that 4chan usually means that. Maybe I do, I just can't explain it.

Anyway it's an over analysis of the guy already, but just imagine him reacting to various things and it's impossible to do.

MIgardener getting mauled by a dog
> woah there, that's not good, ehaha, this one's got a temper
MIgardener after his house collapses
> Now what I love about life is that there is always a chance to start off with a new beginning
MIgardener winning a million dollars
> Now here at MIgardener I don't rely on chance, but now that I'm a millionaire I can't wait to show you a bigger gardenr88ha
>>
>>2171178
Perhaps he just has the 'tism?
>>
>>2171026
Nah bro fuck chilli thrips theyre a fucking nightmare
>>
>>2171178
Well he does gardening videos. He shouldnt be too stressed or overly emotional. He is selling his business so in that way he should never be negative about gardening as he is hoping to attract more people to it.
>>
>>2171216
I totally get that, it's just strange to me. I'm personally a very open person, though I guess with hi having a business he wouldn't be quite as personal in his vids. I feel autistic even trying to explain what I meant in a previous post, lol. I've probably spend over 50 hours learning from him.
>>
>>2171220
I understand the closest thing that i could compare him to is huell howser from the old pbs show. Mi gardners persona fits tv more than a youtuber.
>>
File: Beavis-1.png (157 KB, 720x900)
157 KB
157 KB PNG
>>2171178
I'd like to get to know the girl from his live show, if you know what I mean.
>>
>>2170243
>I'm a pretty lonely person with almost no hobbies to pass the time somehow. I don't want almost anything in life, so I think that farming can be a useful thing do for me, since I like to spend time outdoors.
>First of all, why are you guys doing farming? Do you just like to eat something that you have grown with your own hands in your very own soil, or do you just do it out of boredom, like me. Or maybe both together?
I started doing it to honor my late mother who had recently passed and left behind many great gardens (both flower and vegetable gardens), but they had gone fallow as she was too ill to cultivate them in the final years of her life.
At that point in my life I was a pretty depressed and lonely person, and it turned out that this activity was very therapeutic for me. The plants and feral animals give you something to care about outside of yourself. I suspect there is something more spiritual/metaphysical about it than just that as well. I have put in so much work in to the soil of those gardens. I have literally put my blood sweat and tears in that soil (cut my hand once while cutting up seed potatoes to bury). My life has turned around since I started and I'm no longer depressed and lonely these days, but working in her gardens is my favorite activity by far (well, maybe second to spending time with my newborn daughter, if you count that). I have also since expanded the gardens. I am going to document my progress with photos soon. Maybe I will post the photos in this or the subsequent thread. Thanks for reading.
>>
>>2171089
why
>>
>>2171178
He just puts on the Steve Rogers act, hell it may even who he aspires to be. Captain America in the garden. Generally all youtubers are acting and he's at least not an insufferable cunt like most.
>>
>>2171239
Thanks for sharing that heartwarming story, anon. Sounds like you learned how to be one of the people holding up the sky. We're in good company.
>>
>>2171239
>The plants and feral animals give you something to care about outside of yourself.

The way I see it, gardening allows people to actualize their hope through their time and effort with little skill required. You are hungry today and reach for food that was conceptualized well over 100 days ago, and eat it without hardly a thought. With gardening, your view shifts to something along the line of "In 100 days, I am going to be hungry, it would be nice to have fresh tomatoes" and then you have 3 months of watching hope manifest into food. It's a process that the modern world has forgotten and as a society we have lost almost all connection to the source of our food. This is why there is so much obesity and food related disease.
>>
>>2171266
Well put an enlightening, my friend. Gardening definitely shifts your perception away from the instant gratification microwave culture we live in today.
>>
>>2171018
>>2171053
>>2171233
>>2171263
>>2171291
Hi there!
You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of 4chan are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a name when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your name when the thread it was used for is gone! Posting with a name when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!
Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bit to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture.
>>
>>2171296
Kek
>>
>>2171266
>The way I see it, gardening allows people to actualize their hope through their time and effort with little skill required.
This is what is so great about it. You can start with just a little guess work and minimal instruction, but with each year you learn so much and develop tens or hundreds of little techniques that will make you more successful the following year. Put another way, the barrier for entry is low, but the potential for expertise is vast. In addition, everyone begins to develop their own style after they start doing it. For instance, my uncle does these little Japanese-like raised beds which he works on in almost a watchmaker type of fashion. They are beautiful, but that is certainly not my style as I do not have the knack he does for that bonsai-like precision. Obviously he is years older, so in the future with a few more years under my belt, i hope that i will have developed my own unique style as he has now.
>>
File: nagoonb (2).jpg (1.68 MB, 2997x1531)
1.68 MB
1.68 MB JPG
> yes, i grow nagoonberries, how did ya know?
>>
File: nagoonb (1).jpg (1.32 MB, 3072x1840)
1.32 MB
1.32 MB JPG
>>
File: green thing.png (644 KB, 588x473)
644 KB
644 KB PNG
>>2171314
What is pic rel?

Looks like marjoram or mint.
>>
File: weeds (1).jpg (520 KB, 1810x1781)
520 KB
520 KB JPG
>>2171324
some nursery weeds that grow there, they have long pods full of flyin seeds
>>
File: weeds (2).jpg (692 KB, 2259x1619)
692 KB
692 KB JPG
id like to know also these
>>
>>2171314
They kind of look like strawberries. Are they similar?
>>
>>2171209
Absofuckinglutely. They're real bastards.
>>
>>2171356
Nagoonberries are also called Arctic raspberries, they're a thornless creeping raspberry
>>
File: tobacco.jpg (41 KB, 380x676)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>2171018
currently growing 2 different strains of tobacco, i could use some tips on helping them out because im a noob and also planted them a little late into the season
>>
Throwin' in the towel....can't compete with all the pests that have destroyed everything.
>>
>>2171053
>Can you guys really not conceive of a possible scenario where you can't buy fresh corn from a store?

I think most gardeners aren't approaching it with that attitude. Maybe if a time comes when good fresh corn isn't cheap and easy to come by when in season I would look at it differently, but until then I get far more bang for my effort from tomatoes, rarer veggies and fruits. Store bought tomatoes that don't taste like shit tend to be expensive and even then they're nowhere near the quality of ripening on the vine and picking while perfect. Same with peppers, cucumbers and the like. I've grown corn and potatoes and they are a little better, but not by the same degree. If I had to buy the amount of berries I grow and eat in a season it would be at least a thousand dollars, wouldn't be near the same quality since they break down and don't transport well and I love berries far more than corn, potatoes and squash.
>>
>>2171385
Don't give in anon! Some years nature just decides to fuck you. You've gotta take it in your stride cos next year might be fucking amazing.
>>
File: nmjhxBN.png (797 KB, 543x964)
797 KB
797 KB PNG
>>2171385
Don't give up! There are plenty of things you can do. What's bugging you specifically? I know for me, last year my kale was a mess because of huge aphid colonies. This year since I have two beds of squash Ive got the borers and squash bugs, but you cant give up. Just try new stuff!
>>
>>2168856
post your mrak
>>
My Roma tomatoes are getting bottom rot and the only calcium supplement at the shop in town was oyster shells. How much of this should I be using? It’s 35% calcium and nothing else.
>>
>>2171026
Chill dude, they provide a very useful function to the garden. Who else will eat your mammal faeces and dead leaves? Definitely not those lazy ass nematodes.
>>
>>2171385
This >>2171394
Last year was brutally unforgiving. This year was so, so, so much better (though I'm facing a sort of infestation problem now, it's not out of hand...yet). Just keep going. If something goes wrong, move on to something that's going better. Diversify. Get into succulent plants as well, for example, or even mushrooms.
>>
>>2171372
I haven't grown it yet, but its basically a leafy green, so it likes more nitrogen.
>>
File: 20210721_204555.jpg (2.67 MB, 4032x3024)
2.67 MB
2.67 MB JPG
Anyone recognize this sort of beetle? All over stawberry plants all of a sudden, wrecking my shit.
>>
>>2171068
>never go for potatoes, corns or any grains. There is simply no way for a home gardener to grow these things and not sink a ton of money into them
I spend like no money and am growing just fine potatoes and corn, you are retarded
>>
>>2171536
Looks like a regular japanese beetle to me homie, they are pretty annoying. I have no idea why but they like to sun bathe on my squash, they dont eat it. It's really bizarre
>>
>>2171541
Im not retarded, I am talking about hairline margins for money. When someone asks me if they should grow potatoes to save money, the answer is obviously no because as I said 5$ = ten pounds at the store. If you think you're growing 10 pounds of potatoes with less than 5$ of fertilizer and work, I think you might be retarded.
>>
>>2171551
oh no I have to make compost and put it on my potatoes, better go buy fagtatos at walmart for 5 bucks
>>
>>2171549
I think you're correct, thanks. Looks like they are pretty easy to kill at least.
>>
>>2171551
He probably thought they could be grown hydroponically like weed
>>
File: vaserose.jpg (986 KB, 1512x2016)
986 KB
986 KB JPG
>>2171394
>>2171455

I've had a couple wins this year, but watching the voles slowly destroy everything is devastating. Borers killin' my pumpkins, endless spider mites wreckin' my citrus....Just can't seem to stop them.

I don't exactly want to grow things just to kill things, but the voles were getting so bad I set out snap traps. I caught more toads than anything so I ended that. Thinking about poison....but ooofff...what an awful idea..how did it come to this? Might just burn em all. I've easily lost 500 plants.

>>2171536
These guys are so popular they are on the label for Sevin dust. They put their hands up if you try and squish them...kinda funny.

>>2171551
Root crops are cheap, yeah.
>>
>>2171551
we grow for quality, not quantity
>>
File: 20210721_222331~2.jpg (856 KB, 2331x2761)
856 KB
856 KB JPG
>>2171392
So here's what I mean and why I go for flavour, quality and to a degree rareness over just calories per square foot. I love fruit, and the fruits I love the most tend to be berries. They're so delicious and flavour packed as well as being super dense in nutrients. This is a good example of my typical dessert through berry season where the specific ones change, but there are abundant ones from late May to September then lessening but taken over by fall fruit like pears and grapes (which are kinda like berries).

Anyways, when the season is in I eat a big bowl of fruits and berries pretty much every evening. Sometimes plain, often with yogurt, today with some ice cream cause I'm taking a pic and feeling sassy. I fucking love fruit and this is often one of the highlights of my day. But to the point, if I wanted to eat this quantity and quality of berries it would be crazy expensive to not even possible without growing them myself. Going by grocery store prices here the berries in just this bowl would be 10-15 bucks. Which is like 300 a month, and that's just on dessert! Not the containers I give to neighbors, jellies, crumbles, crisps etc and I'm always left with a freezer full by fall anyways.

That's why great as potatoes, squash and onions are I don't bother with them as much. Except patty pans. Holy fuck I feel like no one else either knows how or bothers to grow them.
>>
>>2171597
Thats fine, again, like Ive reiterated twice now, I am talking about your average newbie gardener with the main point being saving money.

see >>2171068
a 'ton of money' is relative, but I can go buy a handful of fresh mint for the same I can spend on 10lbs of potatoes. So, grow mint and sell it = cash for cheap potatoes. In one of my posts I say how I grow 150 heads of garlic in a raised bed that would absolutely not grow me 100$ of potatoes in the same bed without spending a fortune on fertilizer. I sell my garlic for 0.75 a head, so, that's my reference.

>>2171561
np I have them all over all the time, some years they eat a ton of stuff, other years they do seemingly nothing at all and just lay around getting eaten
>>
I agree with potatoman sentiment. I live less than an hour away from the Idaho border. I get huge bags of premium potatoes for a couple bucks from teenagers who drive down and sell them on the street corners. It's not worth my time or space to grow potatoes.
>>
Wait wait wait...
Sow which crops to grow yourself for quality that you can't get from store, like tomatoes?
>>
>>2171541
why corn? it has shitty fertilizer spent to food produced ratio and it doesn't even get digested. you'll often see peaces of undigested corn in your poop
>>
>>2171770
>implying fiber is useless
>>
>>2171770
Do you no chew your food or something?
>>
File: orangeTree.jpg (3.17 MB, 4000x4000)
3.17 MB
3.17 MB JPG
>>2171018
>florida
This (orange tree / citrus) has been in my yard for over 30 years. Hasn't really grown much at all as you can see.
Tried looking up different types of orange trees in order to identify it. I couldnt ID it because none of the pictures showed younger trees, searched for hours.
It has grown some tasty oranges occasionally.
I notice there was a lot of moss on it, removed all of it and pruned away branches that appeared to be dead.
Left all branches that had leaves.
Notice some types of moss or whiteish scales on the bark. Is this thing diseased or does that moss hurt it and need to be scraped off?
Is it too old at this point and hopeless?
I added hi res picture with other pics inset. I hosted all of the full res pics at this link (if postimages is pozzed lemme know and I can upload it elsewhere, figured it was non-pozzed alternative to imgur)
https://postimg.cc/gallery/TW6sVrH
>>
File: 1618756867315.png (1.29 MB, 1024x574)
1.29 MB
1.29 MB PNG
>>2171622
Based fruit fag.

I don't plant my garden based on calorie density. If the world was looking a little scarier I would, but I was simply listing utilitarian reasons for corn. I happen to love it, so I grow it.

Also, you are objectively, morally, scientifically, legally, and spiritually WRONG. Squash is better than fruit.

>>2171770
>why corn? it has shitty fertilizer spent to food produced ratio

Even with the biomass being added to the soil? As far as not getting digested, you're thinking of sweet corn(delicious btw). Dent/flint corn can pretty much last forever once dried and is used as corn meal.
>>
if I were to make the outer base of a bowl or cup out of pine/cedar and wash it regularly, would I end up washing all the toxins into the drains and causing an ecological hazard? it wouldn't be in contact with my food or drink, just for making it look and smell nicer. also can those woods withstand regular soapy scrubbing?
>>
2 days since last bean picking and I got 787g today. Definitely going to be growing faster than I can eat them. 5 more rows that haven't even started producing yet.
>>
>>2171296
OK
>>
>>2171949
>5 more rows that haven't even started producing yet.
You're a crazy mad man. Great work!
>>
Homemade wild blackberry and blueberry ice cream
>>
File: 20210722_135534~2.jpg (2.13 MB, 2754x3513)
2.13 MB
2.13 MB JPG
>>2171809
To be fair, squash is also a fruit. And related, my love of watermelon does rival that of my love for berries. I'm hoping for success with mine this year, they're just minis and were a bit of a last minute thought and are overwhelmed a little by pattypans and tomato volunteers but a few are growing well.
>>
>>2172017
You should cook off a little sage butter and add it to the mix, berries and sage is amazing. Looks great!
>>
File: 20210722_140641~2.jpg (1.73 MB, 2895x2759)
1.73 MB
1.73 MB JPG
>>2172017
My berry heart sings for you. I picked the last few black caps and boysenberries today which was a little sad but reds are still going and blackberries are just starting plus the gooseberries that it's almost a relief.

And we've had good dry sun for the past few days so it's prime sumac lemonade time. All the early rain has made it ab amazing year for them, some of the clusters are almost black. If I can find the time while the season's still good I hope to make some jelly.

>>2172035
That is an excellent idea, I'm going to try some fresh sage with my berries tonight.

>>2171296
Lollercopter
>>
>>2171026
Beer trap
>>
>>2171085
Looks like some type of wasp. Should be harmless.
>>
What is the most probable cause for my chili peppers to fall?
I doubt it's nitrogen excess because I never fertilized the soil (they are in a pot), I exclude excess water.
>>
File: file.png (3.93 MB, 1237x1375)
3.93 MB
3.93 MB PNG
bug managed to get impaled by a needle holy shit
>>
File: 20210722_154211.jpg (2.48 MB, 3193x2468)
2.48 MB
2.48 MB JPG
>>2172033
They look good to me. Are those early moonbeam? I'm growing a lot of minis this year, too. Hopefully I've fixed the blossom end rot problem i had last year.
>>
Does anyone know where I can find a toothbrush tree(Salvadora persica) in the US? I'm looking for other rare medicinal/edible plants too, suggestions on where to find them are appreciated.
>>
>>2171128
is this stuff an opioid?
>>
>>2172104
I don't actually know the variety, it's just some seed my wife saved of a melon we thought was tasty so what we actually get from this who knows, but that's kinda the fun.
>>
File: 20210722_195841~2.jpg (1.02 MB, 2341x3471)
1.02 MB
1.02 MB JPG
>>2172199
Pickles!! No real recipe, these are just quick vinegar pickles. I threw some pickling vinegar in a pot with some peppercorns and mustard seed, simmered that while I mashed a head of garlic and tossed those in there, then dill and dill seed, 1 tbspoon sugar and salt to taste. Fill a jar with sliced cukes I just picked and pour it over. These aren't properly preserved, they won't last months onna shelf but they don't need to. They'll be gone in a week regardless.
>>
>>2172104
They could be
I'm thinking of doing Navajo Winter or Art Combe's Ancient as a variety to grow
>>
>>2172154
it tastes so bad...
>>
Am I the only one who doesn't get the appeal of the 898 or Honeynut squash?
>muh single servings
Butternuts were never meant to be some kind of baby-dick looking sweet zucchini replacement, they were developed because Dutch Crooknecks would break and spoil during shipping. If you're shrinking "slow foods" down it's because you're trying to turn them into a "fast food", despite fast foods all being garbage
>>
>>2172300
Okay so butternuts were developed for one reason, honeynuts were developed for another. I don't see anything bad about any of that. Plant breeding for specifics is fun and cool.
>>
>>2172322
Honeynuts were developed because people thought regular butternuts were both too big and not sweet enough, literally born out of a first world foodie problem.
There already existed multiple heirloom varieties of butternut that had honeynut's qualities of enhanced sweetness and attractive color prior to its development. The most notable one being the Sucrine du Berry squash of france
>>
>>2171627
mint is literally a weed in my flower garden. i have tried to get rid of it year after year to give my roses more sun but it always returns.
where can i sell this mint, hobby growers arent allowed in most farmers markets around here.. most of the mint i just end up burnin so Id love to make some money on this treasured weed.
Should I pot them and sell the ones that live or just sell the mint leaves and seeds.
>>
The squash bug infestation was way worse than I thought. So, so, so, so...SO many fucking eggs, and so many fucking nymphs too. Disgusting sons of bitches. Thankfully the plants have a plethora of new foliage growing in replacement, but it's like actual half of the old growth has been fucked on and preyed upon by these disgusting cretins. Found and killed literally two pairs in the middle of sexing each other. Cut their goddamn heads off.

God squash bugs piss me the fuck off so goddamn much.
>>
>>2172330
Okay... I'm still not seeing the problem.
>>
File: 20210722_185013~2.jpg (1.8 MB, 2619x2975)
1.8 MB
1.8 MB JPG
A goodnight glimpse of my tiny patch of crazy paradise. Rock on fellow growers, my belly is so full of berries, beans and cukes it's fantastic.
>>
>>2172398
My point is honeynuts were invented purely for supermarket appeal
>>
File: men chickens.webm (2.28 MB, 622x768)
2.28 MB
2.28 MB WEBM
>tfw no chickens to feed Japanese beetles and cabbage worms to
>>
File: IMG_20210723_083539.jpg (3.31 MB, 3648x2736)
3.31 MB
3.31 MB JPG
Are sunflowers supposed to do that? I thought they'd only make one flower then die. This is the first time I've seen them do this. I have three and all of them are making new flowers. The seeds came from sunflowers I've grown 2 or 3 years ago, and those didn't do it.
>>
>>2172463
However I may try to do a personal project and cross the honeynut with larger varieties to get a larger, longer-keeping squash
>>
File: 20210706_144418.jpg (1.87 MB, 3264x1836)
1.87 MB
1.87 MB JPG
>>2172492
I guess so. Mine's been throwing out bloom after bloom over the past month.
>>
>>2172500
That's wicked cool. Mine so far are only throwing from the main branch, yours are behaving a lot more like topinamburs. They can cross-pollinate but it's unlikely it happens naturally since they mature in different seasons. There's a paper from the '60s that describes their experiments with it, and their results resemble a lot what you're getting. Did you use your own seeds or did you buy them?
>>
>>2172463
I still don't see why that's bad.
>>
>>2172559
it's bad because they're a waste.
They won't keep for as long as other squashes. 4 months may sound like a lot, but it's not much compared to other squashes that can keep for up to 2 years. The 898 is even smaller and is sometimes totally seedless
>>
File: 20210723_084227.jpg (1.16 MB, 1694x3393)
1.16 MB
1.16 MB JPG
Harvested my Hurst Green Shaft peas today. A good haul considering I thought they weren't growing too well and about a third of them didn't make it past the early stages.
>>
>>2172564
Most people aren't trying to keep a squash for two years. Again it's just another variety bred for a specific purpose like all the others. Just because that purpose is selling to people in grocery stores instead of selling to homesteaders doesn't make it bad.
>>
I have 2 different types of carrots this year because someone gave me some Red Cored Chantenay seed tape. I only grew those one year and stopped because they tend to grow a conical shape very fat at the top. My go to carrot the past few years has been Tenderlong Imperators, which do well even if you don't bother thinning them out.

Today I was reacquainted with the one downside of the imperators in my garden. They get long enough that they can grow all the way through the top soil and embed their root into the clay. That makes some of them a real bastard to get out. Later in the season I usually just use a shovel and pull out clumps a dozen at a time.
>>
>>2172722
My carrot patch has been a finicky hellhole. Its my first year dealing with carrots and I knew that I had to dig deep for root growth. I did not thin them enough and grew several short, fat, twisted carrots. One of my carrots decided to go to seed and another is a giant mutant looking thing that is growing mostly above the soil. I have another row coming in that was properly thinned and plan on harvesting the seed from the prior row. Learning though, I'd love to have a nicely producing carrot patch.
>>
>>2171178
He recently uploaded a mini vlog, and after saying his peace and goodbyes he ended up staring at the camera holding his smile in the same position while trying to end the recording. He misclicked at first, and without moving his eyes or mouth in the slightest continues to fake-smile into my soul as he tries again, successfully, after a very long 5 seconds.
>>
File: majdanek.jpg.png (648 KB, 844x815)
648 KB
648 KB PNG
>>2171026
>>
>>2172775
>>
>>2171178
He's from MI what do you expect?
>>
>>2171178
There was a video awhile back where he was trying to do his presentation and his neighbor started mowing his lawn. MiGardener started on a mini rant about how he always seems to wait to mow until he was filming. He tried to laugh it off but it was very apparent he was absolutely seething. I think he bottles up his emotions and I wouldnt be surprised if he explodes in private on occasion.
>>
A little concerned about overwatering, I water usually every morning. I'm in zone 7b.
>>
>>2171026
sprinkle white wood ash on the soil around your plants
It'll fuck them up and fertilize it at the same time
>>
>>2172512
Those were from a packet called "lemon leopold". Specifically those are second year volunteers that appeared in the spring after sowing a few in my backyard last year. I then moved them to the front and got what you see there.
>>
>>2172850
That's awesome you were able to do something with them, they look good!
I definitely have a love/hate relationship with volunteers, I get so many.
>>
>>2171178
He admitted he had self-esteem issues growing up, and gardening was his outlet. Also, he's a mega Christfag but the good kind who donates to soup kitchens and doesn't push his beliefs on others. He probably has some autism, too, as the other anon said.

Video on why he got into gardening:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0BLE-k5n3s
>>
File: 91TwUKnbS3L.jpg (1015 KB, 2137x2560)
1015 KB
1015 KB JPG
What's the /hgm/ opinion on Charles Dowding and no dig / chop and drop gardening in general?
>>
>>2172899
>no dig / chop and drop gardening in general?
My gut feeling is that my soil has too much clay for this to work for me
>>
>>2172920
One of the main benefits is you can turn clay soil into better soil fairly quickly. You will need to do a little digging initially bit in general once you're set you won't have to.
>>
How 2 find land in Canada? I can do greenhouse if too cold to grow.
>>
File: 1623289135273.jpg (24 KB, 424x504)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>2172899
Dowding's blatant autism forces me to feel a certain kinship towards him. I like him and have never had a garden that looks as good as his. That said, I think no-dig, in its entirety, has many dogmatic elements similar to veganism.

If you keep tilling, without incorporating any new material. You are killing your soil. If you cover hard clay in compost, it will take many years to work into the clay without digging. The truth is, there are scenarios where the time/resources available make each method preferable.
>>
Just for future consideration for myself, I'm just wondering...Is it viable or practical to actually build or set up a greenhouse solely or primarily for the purpose of growing squash and other cucurbits? I ask cause of the fact that 1. they require a lot of sunlight for good growth, and 2. they get seriously big and sprawling once established. Unlike other crops which mostly grow vertically, these grow laterally AND vertically if permitted. I'm not sure a greenhouse would be sufficient to contain outside of one or two plants without outgrowing the space very quickly, or having a very large, very expensive greenhouse.

I ask cause I'm fucking sick of the pests and diseases.
>>
>>2172927
Any tips for carrots? I am going to plant some soon but I don't want to stunt their growth with tough, high-clay soil. How far down should I be digging before planting them?
>>
>>2172960
Carrots have a long germination period and shallow sowing depth. I've got much better results by keeping the rows covered after planting to keep the soil from drying out. I use a heavy painters drop cloth. Avoid clear plastic because otherwise you might end up solarizing the soil.

Once the tops start getting any height to them avoid watering the plants directly. The water will knock them flat and they will intertangle as they straighten themselves back up. I give them a good watering aiming the water between the rows so the plants mostly stay upright.

If you've got a bit of top soil sitting on top of solid clay, I wouldn't dig too deep and start mixing additional clay into the soil. This year I turned everything by hand before planting and probably didn't go deeper than about 5".
>>
>>2172941
Just use tomato cages and grow bags bro
You can use as little as a 5 gallon pot for the smaller squashes
>>
>>2172985
Oh yes, I suppose a big open cage and a bag will keep the bugs from eating my plants. Please develop better reading comprehension.
>>
>>2172990
Have you ever seen a tomato cage before?
>muh bugs
Marigolds will literally make the area too smelly for the bugs to like it
>>
File: file.png (829 KB, 581x557)
829 KB
829 KB PNG
in a small part of my garden there's a few pots that have SOMETHING, no idea what that just decimates leafs

this bell pepper actually managed to start to flower despite that

luckily these are just seeds i scattered randomly
>>
File: 20210722_191146.jpg (2.34 MB, 3024x2016)
2.34 MB
2.34 MB JPG
>have garden years ago
>tomato plants kept dying
>determined it was due to blight, if memory serves
>this year
>getting rid of old defunct compost barrel
>soil inside seems fine, looks good
>repotting a couple of tomato plants, decide to run a test by potting one in pure potting soil and the other in pure compost made with yard soil
>a month or two later the potting soil plant is very tall and healthy looking
>compost plant grew, but is shorter and not as vibrant
>notice some leaves beginning to wither
>yellow spots appearing on non-withered leaves
>stalk is a greenish-brown color
>pic related
Does this look like blight to you guys?
What are the odds that the years-old yard soil which made up a large portion of the compost barrel mix was still contaminated with blight and infected this new plant? The one in potting soil is fine, after all, and they both get the same amount of light/water/etc.
Nothing but grass has grown in that soil for two or three years. How long does that fungus stick around in the soil?
>>
May be a stupid question but I’ve got some fungus gnats going after some of my pepper plants. I think they were brought in front a cauliflower plant someone gave me. I’m drying out soil and got mosquito bites and some gardening sand but was wondering something dumb sounding: could I take some felt/shade cloth/etc. and cut enough out to cover the top layer of soil to help stop the gnat problem instead of a sand cover? Sorry if that’s a dumb question.
>>
File: garden sunflowers.jpg (1.19 MB, 1836x2572)
1.19 MB
1.19 MB JPG
>>2172866
single stem on sunflowers is a recessive gene it will get bred out in one generation when crossed with a multi branch.
>>
do plants saved from self pollinating seeds degrade with each generation? how many times can you save seeds from them before you should get new seeds/starts from the nursery?
>>
>>2172941
Pests and disease can get out of control real quick in a greenhouse.
>>
>>2173019
Depends on the species, most of them stay good through decades or centuries of repeated self pollination but some plants are highly vulnerable to inbreeding depression and need occasional outcrossing.
>>
>>2173022
>but some plants are highly vulnerable to inbreeding depression and need occasional outcrossing.
what are the common ones i should avoid?
>>
>>2173016
Something like this?
Or would that impede the plant/not be effective in suffocating these stupid gnats?
>>
>>2172939
no it wont just throw tons of carrot seed down let it grow and rot.. and put wood and compost over the top. i got my garden from pure clay to black gold in less than a years that way. let the worms do the digging and aeration and mixing for you.
the great aid to the gardener is nature itself
>>
>>2173016
fungus gnats are normal and are in every persons garden unless you start inside with cleaned soil.
i use pine needles myself from the downed trees in my yard. but yea it all works. rule of thumb. if they cant see the dirt they cant get into it.
ive also used regular pool sand for my inside plants. for some reason plants love the regular pool sand and do very well. i think it provides some kind of nutrient they like. cant remember the name of it tho, silicon maybe idk.
>>
>>2173078
Okay thanks for the information I appreciate the help my dude.
>>
>>2172850
>>2172866
By volunteers you mean seeds that fell off and germinated on their own?
>>
>>2173156
Yes
In my gardens, tomato and mustard green volunteers are the most common
>>
File: 20210724_122624.jpg (1.12 MB, 1076x1867)
1.12 MB
1.12 MB JPG
Garden me and my brother made. Thoughts?
>>
File: 20210724_122601.jpg (720 KB, 683x1909)
720 KB
720 KB JPG
>>2173262
2md pic
>>
>>2172960
Don't plant broccoli, cabbage, mustard or radishes near them as they're from the same family and will cross pollinate. You will still get the same product, but the seeds they produce will be hybridized and may have flavor loss issues or mutations.
>>
>>2173262
>>2173263
Looks really nice.
I'm tempted to get rid of some trees in the back yard if the garden would look near as good as this.
>>
>>2173074
I'll try it, anon, but if it doesn't work I'm never joining another cult again.
https://youtu.be/lOvzrHzEX-s

>>2173262
Looks really great my friend. I wish my brother wanted to garden with me.
>>
File: 20210724_100109.jpg (3.47 MB, 4160x3120)
3.47 MB
3.47 MB JPG
how do you know when to harvest eggplant
>>
>>2173017
This solves my question. The current sunflowers I have I'm certain are all at least a second generation, while the previous ones that made a single flower were of unknown origin.

>>2173175
Man, I'd love to have tomato volunteers.
>>
File: melo.png (3.36 MB, 1400x1239)
3.36 MB
3.36 MB PNG
>>2172033
>>2172104
started these from seed 5 months ago. they failed because I was too lazy to cultivate the soil properly
>>
855 g more beans since the last picking 2 days ago, bringing this seasons haul to 2.75 kg so far after 5 pickings. Should be able to easily blow past my season record of 8.5 kg.
>>
>>2173321
>carrots are brassicas
Are you sure about that?
>>
>>2173344
There is really no bad time to harvest, as long as it is the right color. Just pick it when it's convenient, or when it gets to be the right size for the variety.
>>
>>2171178
he's the most beta, passive garden youtuber I've seen
>>
So if I didn’t plant a garden this year and just have a patch of dirt, can I add fertilizer to the soil and plow it for next year to start getting the soil good and ready for next season or is it a waste of time? I’m new to gardening and was just wondering.
>>
>>2173427
If I were in your shoes, I'd plant a cover crop. Johnny's has some good mixes. It will kill off weeds, feed your soil, and provide organic matter in the spring when you prep your bed.
I'd till/plough before planting, too, just to loosen everything up fro the wheat and clover youd be planting.

>>2173416
Who's on the opposite side of the spectrum in your reckoning, anon?
>>
>>2173430
can't answer you accurately since I know only 4 gardening channels. I would say jeb gardener
>>
>>2173427
just put cardboard or black foil over it and forget about it
>>
>>2173345
>Man, I'd love to have tomato volunteers.
Yeah, I've let a lot of them grow this year. I'm going to get some very interesting hybrids as I've grown all sorts of tomato varieties before. I wonder if they can cross pollinate with tomatillos? I grew some of those last year too in the same general area of most of my garden beds.
>>2173321
>Don't plant broccoli, cabbage, mustard or radishes near them as they're from the same family and will cross pollinate. You will still get the same product, but the seeds they produce will be hybridized and may have flavor loss issues or mutations.
Thanks, this changes my plans a bit.
>>2172983
Thanks for all of this great info. Just a random thought but what do you think about growing carrots in containers?
>>
File: bluetom.jpg (1.19 MB, 1512x2016)
1.19 MB
1.19 MB JPG
There we go.
>>
File: 20210724_091147.jpg (386 KB, 2000x1500)
386 KB
386 KB JPG
Guys wtf is this? Planted seeds a while back and forgot to label
>>
>>2173500
lavender or rosemary
>>
>>2173504
damn how do i know for sure before i start adding it to food
>>
>>2173484
they're cracking a lot though
>>
>>2173458
>what do you think about growing carrots in containers?
Never tried it but it should work. Imperators might be the way to go, they are long and do well tightly spaced.
>>
File: 20210724_095624.jpg (3.89 MB, 4160x3120)
3.89 MB
3.89 MB JPG
eggshells ain't helping. what do
>>
>>2173517
gypsum or oyster shell flour asap
>>
>>2173504
let it grow some more rosemary will develop tick woody stems and lavender will stay more like a normal plant and eventually send out shooters with purple seeds. But the Best way to tell is to cross reference with pics of each plant
>>
woops this post >>2173531 was meant for
>>2173510
>>
>>2173534
>>2173531
ok will do
>>
File: img1.jpg (323 KB, 864x1152)
323 KB
323 KB JPG
Photo 1/6
(Question will be on post 6 of 6)
>>
File: img2.jpg (271 KB, 864x1152)
271 KB
271 KB JPG
2/6
>>
File: img3.jpg (323 KB, 864x1152)
323 KB
323 KB JPG
3/6
>>
File: img4.jpg (265 KB, 864x1152)
265 KB
265 KB JPG
4/6
>>
File: img5.jpg (373 KB, 864x1152)
373 KB
373 KB JPG
5/6
>>
File: img6.jpg (210 KB, 864x1152)
210 KB
210 KB JPG
6/6

I made a new raised bed this year and I originally planted some tomatoes I had raised from seed (Jung's Mountain Man Hybrids). I used compost from my pile to fill in the raised bed. Early on these squash volunteers from the compost started growing, and I decided to let them grow. As you can see, I have taken a long time to decide to do anything about this, and by now the squash have completely over taken the tomatoes (although there are tomato plants in there with flowers on them). There are flowers on the squash plants, as shown in the photos, but I haven't identified any actual squash growing yet, and it has gotten to the point where they are now encroaching on my adjacent raised bed. Also, as they are volunteers it's a complete mystery as to what these plants will eventually produce for me.

So /hgm/, should I wipe out these volunteers now or just cut them back?
>>
Damn my lone jalapeno plant is producing a hald dozen peppers to pick every day, way more than I can eat? Can you freeze them for canning later in one big batch?
>>
While I grew up watching my dad gardening and occasionally help him, especially with tilling and stuff that could hurt his back, I'm brand new to gardening. I never grown anything myself.
So today I went to the local gardening store and got some spearmint seeds. I love tea, so having the ability to make some mint tea myself without spending extra $ is very appealing. I want to do propagate and keep them in containers because that stuff spreads like wildfire, also my soil is shit clay-packed stuff. Are there any easy plants I can start from seed now and have them ready for harvest before the winter? I live in zone 6a and the summers here are hot and humid, winters cold and snowy. I made a post last thread about growing berries from seed. I also want to do that as well. I've always dreamed of growing my own blackberries, strawberries, salmonberries, lingonberries and blueberries. Perhaps I'll even start a side business to my shitty day job some day? I've always wanted to grow them from seed because growing them from other people's cuttings seems lazy.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (30 KB, 480x360)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>2173432
Jeb is very based. My hydroponics are very similar to his. You might like self-sufficient me and David the Good, as well.

>>2173571
It's definitely not typical zucchini, as its vining like a winter squash. My guess by how big the leaves are is some kind of pumpkin, spaghetti squash, or some other winter squash. As far as what to do, that depends on what you want more, squash or tomatoes. I'd try to split the difference, and prune the big-ass leaves blocking the tomatoes.

After looking closer at the flowers, they kind of remind me of butternuts.
>>
>>2172941
I covered mine in row cover this year till egg laying was done, it seems to have worked really well.
>>
>>2173586
Jalapeno poppers night every week.
>>
anyone have large acreage and work full time? I just got a promotion and permanent remote work, and looking for rural land in a zero state income tax state. I'm just wondering how much land is too much land for one person to deal with?
>>
>>2173427
Could still grow micro greens.
They might get big enough for a few full salads before the frost.
>>
>>2173586
pickle them nigga
>>
>>2173517
You have pests all over that vine. There's a worm on there definitely eating your hard work and a fucking stink bug sucking the juice out of your tomato. Give it some calmag brand fertilizer.
>>
>>2173586
Dehydrator or dehydrate then smoke to produce chipotle. You may also roast the peppers, cool, remove the skins and seeds, and freeze for up to a year.
>>2173693
This or ferment then pickle.
>>
>>2173681
Fuck off, we're full
>>
>>2171770
>it has shitty fertilizer spent to food produced ratio
I just make compost and put it on stuff, it grows great
>you'll often see pieces of undigested corn in your poop
that means you aren't chewing it
>>
>>2173512
Don't matter to me.
>>
>>2173703
>ferment then pickle
Different anon here.... How would one ferment those?
>>
>>2173790
Don't pickle after fermenting thats the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Fermenting preserves them and makes them acidic, all pickling will do is kill all your enzymes half your vitamins and all your probiotics

Fermenting is easy, just fill a jar with peppers (or any veggies) cover with water, you need a weight to hold them down so they don't bob above, weigh your peppers and water together and add 3% salt by weight. Or 7 grams of salt per cup of water to cover. You can tinker with the salt levels and add different spices and such. Add a couple grape leaves or something with tannins to keep crisp, also I heard stem pieces have an enzyme that makes them softer so cut those off
>>
>>2173596
I don't know the cold or end of season tolerance of spearmint, but I do know it is a VERY precocious plant. If you can, you should do as I recently did and find a local amish/mennonite greenhouse which is probably selling them as starts on discount now. I planted mine 2 weeks ago and I swear, despite it defying all logic, this little plant is already spreading itself amongst the little garden patch where I planted it.
I live on the cusp of the same zone as you and the climate here is like you describe yours. There is still time left in the season. I just transplanted some lettuce seedlings to some containers, and just sowed round two of lettuce seeds in some little peat pots.
As far as options for what else from seed: I believe you can still do hearty leafy greens such as kale, spinach, collards, chard, broccoli. I have recently started some seedlings with these which I still plan on planting in the ground this season. You can also do root vegetables such as carrots, rutabaga, turnips, etc. I have less experience with the root veggies, but I say hey why not try at them? Not much to lose as a seed packet for more seeds than you can use costs like $2.
To reiterate though, if you can find a local greenhouse/store selling starts, that's already half of the battle and a great way for a beginner to get in to this craft.
>>
>>2173596
carrots beets and other similar crops, aswell as lettuce and probably some kales
>>2173811
I started a mint plant in my greenhouse in a shitty little cup, it was chuggin along fine in the hot greenhouse, I was like fuck its too hot in here I gotta get the mint a new home, put it in a pot with some nice soil and put it in the mostly shady open bay of my greenhouse and it shriveled up and died, kinda glad tho heard mint has a lot of estrogen
>>
>>2173796
Yeah I don't know what the fuck he thought he was talking about. Both brine pickling and vinegar pickling achieve similar end results but through very different means. You can't mix them, even basic knowledge of either would teach you that. I prefer brined pickles but make both and they're all awesome.
>>
>>2173830
I only just made some brine pickles for the first time, they are delicious, I still prefer vinegar pickles but the health benefits of brine pickles make them much more worth it. now that I have a garden I won't go back
>>
>>2172573
Grats bro great looking haul
>>
>>2173832
Once you let them brine longer they'll get more sour and more funky. That's what I love though. Vinegar pickles are a lot more straightforward.
>>
>>2173843
yeah they were only 4-5 days with 3% salt, I have some more next to me that are maybe at about 10 days now, I need to stop being a pussy and eat one.
>>
>>2173681
if you're alone, you will most likely have to pay someone to look after things, thereby nullifying any cost savings of being self sufficient on major acreage. there''s a reason why homesteaders are always a couple. as a single person, just get a quarter of an acre in a nice neighborhood and tend a vegetable garden. first work on cultivating a relationship with a female.
>>
>>2173847
Ohh yeah no, proper brining takes time. Leave them for a week or two at least before meddling. All you tasted was salty cucumber.
>>
>>2173850
It really doesn't take that much work to take care of a large garden, and it gets easier every year. I put in a couple hours a work a week and I have more veg than I can eat, its my first garden. Obviously I put in a few more hours at the start of the season but not anymore. If you don't count harvest time as work which I personally don't I basically don't do anything except pull up a weed or tie my tomatoes now n then.
>>
>>2173852
I made 6 jars and ate some on day 5 and 6 and then gave a jar away yesterday. I still have a half jar in the fridge and 2 more fermenting. I was planning to make a bunch more but I kept giving them away to put it off and now the heat is murdering my poor cukes
>>
>>2173856
How soon did you put them in the fridge? The bacteria that make the fermentation work need warmth. Putting them in the fridge too soon wil ruin them or at best make it take far longer to make pickles.
Did you even look into what you were doing?
>>
>>2173861
>I still have a half jar in the fridge and 2 more fermenting
I only put the jar I started eating in the fridge the other 2 are still fermenting
>Did you even look into what you were doing?
did you even read my post instead of just assuming I didn't know what I was doing
>>
Can I freeze Jalapenos and thaw them out for pickling when I have gathered enough of them?
>>
>>2173875
I assume it would work, but unless you are getting only a small handful at a time then you could just do single jar ferments. just slice them add to a jar and pour a brine (about 7 grams of salt per cup of water) over until covered and weigh down.
>>
>>2173596
https://www.ufseeds.com/
you can still grow stuff, see what's available. I'm in 7b and will be sowing carrot, broccoli, kale, radish soon.
>>
Next year Im gonna have to learn to trellis my tomatos, cuces, and beans are fucking faggots at war with eachnother for space. I swear the cucmbers grow 2 feet in every direction over night and have to keep pruning them back.
>>
>>2173790
>>2173796
Fuck me, I did say ferment then pickle . . . Don't do that. Ferment then make hot sauce.
>>
File: Fance.jpg (25 KB, 400x266)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>2173882
I have have been doing florida weave on my tomatoes and it works good, I was gonna do it with the cukes too but I waited too long and let them spread out. I think I'm just gonna build a wooden checkerboard fence for them to grow up in the future. If you aren't a poorfag like me you could buy something like pic related
>>
Complete noob. I have now planted a shitton of shit, and have corn growing. I read about this strange concept of fertilizer. Does anyone have any links or advice to offer?
>>
>>2173886
Nah, I'd build it. You get bent over a barrel with gardening stuff that doesn't make it worth it outside of a hobby.
>>
>>2173886
Saw a video where a guy use 6ft t-stake, PVC t-joints and electrical conduit. Seemed to work pretty well and was cheap
>>
>>2173890
Rather T-posts
>>
>>2173887
I bought and mixed equal parts of roughly equal parts bone and blood meal and then about half as much kelp meal, put a spoonfull or 2 with each plant and everything is growing just fine, I added a new spoon or 2 per plants a few weeks later. also I made some biochar with it in a good bit of plants. In the meantime make some compost, itll only take a few weeks and then you never have to buy fertilizer again if you can keep up production.
>>2173888
yeah plus wood is sexy and building is fun
>>2173890
Yeah, just about anything will work, just gotta let your plants lean on them.
>>
>>2173890
Why bother with the conduit and T-post and just use all PVC?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.