[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: milk.jpg (36 KB, 496x474)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
How to get over fear of wildlife when solo backpacking? Particularly black bears and moose. I'm always kept up at night inside my tent because I fear a black bear will try to come in or a moose will trample me to death.
>>
>>2170518
Are you in a location that has both black bears and moose? Usually black bears don't attack unless you do dumb and call for it. For moose, don't be in their area if you can avoid it, or set up someplace not likely to be walked over at night.
>>
i very much doubt you live somewhere with moose if you are that afraid of them
>>
File: 1613710670590.webm (1.07 MB, 480x360)
1.07 MB
1.07 MB WEBM
>>2170518
A gun, doesn't have to be a big one.
Just a small hand gun.
>>
>>2170634
RIP that damn Moose, feels so bad man
>>
>>2170645
In what way does that feel bad? Fuck that moose.
>>
>>2170518
It’s less likely that a black bear will break into your tent than a black male break into your house
>>
>>2170665
are all people on this board muh spirit of the animal when they hunt?
>>
>>2170676
based
>>
>>2170518
>How to get over fear of wildlife when solo backpacking?
I literally hunt bear and cougars
You have nothing to be afraid of. Bears are basically big racoons. They can get into some bad places but are easily scared off. Lions on the other hand are a legit threat but they mostly fuck with dogs.
I spend about 4 months of the year LOOKING for bears. the odds of you coming across one AND getting fucked up is slim to none especially if your practicing good food scent control. lions are only a concern if youre /out/ with a dog
>>
>>2170518
Two things helped me - a gun and whiskey. Worked so well that I don’t even use a tent anymore, just a sleep pad on a tarp.
>>
>>2170645
>>2170665
doesnt the full video show him just standing there taunting it for awhile instead of turning around and being inconvenienced
>>
>>2171007
Dunno, doesn't matter either way, point is a handgun is a good way to stop being afraid of moose and bear.
>>
>>2170676
Noooo you can't just say that, that's racist
>>
When was the last time you heard of a black bear or moose killing someone?
>>
unironically accept death and close your eyes kindly
>>
>>2170676
Now that's what I call putting things into perspective!
>>
>>2171341
A group of black bears killed and consumed a lady in Colorado a couple months ago while she was walking her dogs.
>>
>>2170518
Bring the strap my boy
>>
File: 1617362964290 (1).gif (3.29 MB, 365x498)
3.29 MB
3.29 MB GIF
>>2171282
positively retarded take. hope you shoot a bear and it crushes your bones for your trouble
>>
>>2170518
What about Stray dogs? they can be actually pretty dangerous if hungry and iif there are several
>>
>>2170518
>>2171976
Generally in any potentially dangerous situation, I think it's merely about good situational awareness, and rarely lapsing in your judgement calls. You need to be with it and awake. You don't even need a gun if you have that sense, and this covers far more dangers than just wildlife.

>>2170645
He practically shoots it in the back. Guy's retarded. I'm not all mother nature and bullshit but this is distasteful. Even embarrassing that he can't do anything without a pistol and a dozen rounds. In his head he's probably thinking he survived a real self defense situation against hostile wildlife, patting himself on the back.
>>
I’m a man. The animals are afraid of me.
>>
>>2171973
You're retarded
>make point
>show video proving point
There was nothing more to it, sorry you're an idiot
>>
>>2172047
>encouraging newfags to gun down wildlife so theyre not so scawrd is a good point
avoidance is a better strategy. idk why indoors types fear wildlife so much, its a nonissue 99% of the time
>>
>>2172060
Still not the point anon
The only point that got made was that even a handgun can efficiently kill a large animal.
Why don't you go after the flaws in that statement instead.
>>
>>2171995
This, honestly. Moose are fuckers but this situation could have been avoided if he just put it in reverse (do skidoos even have reverse? am retarded) and backed away. Now he's gonna have an investigation and the park rangers on his ass and that video isn't really the best evidence if he's trying to clear his name.
>>
>>2171973
oh lookie another retard that thinks bears are so tough that they can't be killed
>HUUR THEY SKULLS SO THIK BULLET CAN'T SHIT THROUGH
>>
File: SWNS_BEAR_ATTACK_02.jpg (24 KB, 615x430)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>2172444
good luck killing a sprinting bear with your piss poor aim before it tackles you and rips you limb from limb newfag
>>
>>2172453
nah, I'll just continue to hunt them with a spear
>>
>>2172465
sick larp bro
>>
>>2172480
I believe in that anon
He can do it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5yRyW67MB0
>>
>>2170645
Fuck that faggot. I am glad that anon got away.
>>
File: 1597594918393.jpg (16 KB, 358x358)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
>>2170634
>Drives past without finnishing it
What a cunt, do americans really?
>>
>>2170518
To extend and grow your comfort zone, you need to break it repeatedly. As you spend more time alone at night in the woods, you'll be less afraid. My advice is to basically just push through it, and if it makes you safe, bring a gun or carry a knife in your sleeping bag. I don't really know anything about moose so I can't commend on that but black bears are not very brave and will fuck off if you yell at them.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.