[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 70 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Screenshot (246).png (216 KB, 1801x1398)
216 KB
216 KB PNG
Is anyone else suprised this doesn't happen more oftennow that more rugged areas are becoming more popular? Is this a trend we can expect to continue? Discuss death in the wildlands ITT

https://news.yahoo.com/boulder-police-officer-dies-while-032000712.html
>>
>>2167273
>Is this a trend we can expect to continue?
Considering how/who they hire;
Yes.
>>
>>2167273
>now that more rugged areas are becoming more popular
What? If anything people hike the easiest trails mostly. I rarely ever see people off trail.
>>
File: 17621.jpg (249 KB, 960x684)
249 KB
249 KB JPG
>>2167284
I meant there are more people in the mountains than ever before
>I rarely ever see people off trail.
Same. Lets hope it stays that way
>>
File: DeathPerCapita-900a.jpg (59 KB, 900x709)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>
File: Parks-WhoDies.png (126 KB, 1800x1281)
126 KB
126 KB PNG
>>
File: Parks-HowPeople.png (165 KB, 1800x1485)
165 KB
165 KB PNG
>>
File: Parks-MostLikelyTo.png (395 KB, 1800x2513)
395 KB
395 KB PNG
>>
>>2167295
wtf is going on at North Cascades National Park
>>
>>2167273
>one less female cop in my city
based
>>
File: National Parks Map.jpg (304 KB, 1650x1275)
304 KB
304 KB JPG
>>2167329
they have very few visitors so a few deaths skews the per capita statistics.

Plus if you're going out of your way to go there, chances are you're not some filthy casual paved trail hiker. Same reason why Denali has a high death rate, though the denali death rate is brought down by people who take the scenic road drive
The other ones like the rivers and lake mead have high death rates because drunken boating accidents = death in the park
>>
File: 20210502_150634.jpg (2.56 MB, 4032x2268)
2.56 MB
2.56 MB JPG
>>2167334
Crazy how many people visit Acadia. It really doesn't feel that busy for such a small park.
Cadillac Mountain auto road is so fun to longboard or bike down
>>
>>2167334
Congaree national forest represent

lil ass dot
>>
>>2167291
Stricter park control now
>>
File: 1612275754132.jpg (83 KB, 900x900)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
>>2167286
>all those deaths
this is a disingenious graph, they frame it like it's "dying in the wilderness" when the vast majority (>80%) are motor vehicle collisions, amerifat heart attacks, and boomers dying of old age
>>
Mt San Antonio, aka Mt Baldy, is a 10,000 foot mountain in Los Angeles. Every year Angelenos die on it within sight of the city.
>>
>>2167361
lol
>>
I died while out once. Wouldn't recommend it.
>>
>>2167375
seems better than dying almost anywhere else desu
>>
>>2167357
and don't forget, the US has a population of 330 million, also its from 2006-2016. So its just a graph to keep normies out because of danger (what is good)
>>
>>2167361
Just look at this magnificent bastard. Lurking, looming, always in the background, ready to take the lives of more arrogant urbanites.
>>
>>2167273
I can think of a few occasions where one misstep on unstable rocks or one natural handhold giving way would've resulted in me falling hundreds of feet to my death.
There's a place near me where more than a dozen people have died in recent years. It happens so often that it's not even shocking anymore.
As more people (and not just inexperienced people) test their luck in these places, you will see death counts rising in the outdoors.
>>
>>2167361
San Jacinto also claims a ton of lives and is the site of an ungodly amount of rescues. Unprepared retards, probably from LA, attempt the infamous C2C route and end up getting in over their heads. That route has over 10k feet in elevation *gain* (more than any other trail in the entire U.S.) with scorching hot desert at the base, cold temps up top, and unforgiving wilderness terrain in between.
>>
>>2167273
It seems mysterious, or it will when David Paulides leaves out all the important information and writes it up for gullible retards to consume
>>
>>2167273
Toll paid in full
>>
>>2167496
It's because they had green eyes and died on the 14th day of the 8th month. That's how he knows Bigfoot alien lizard Jews did it.
>>
>>2167376
>Be hiking in the wilderness
>Reach the peak
>Can see a shelter hut about 2 clicks away
>Make my way down a steep mossy hill
>slip on a goddamn mushroom
>Tumble down, breaking several limbs and ribs
>On my back, looking the treetops and sunlight, with a light mist on my face, just listening to the birds
I was so ready to die, I was sure it was gonna feel fucking amazing. Never had a more beautiful moment than that. Kinda pissed that my hiking crew came and rescued me, but hey at least I know where to go when I get to my deathbed. And it will be made of moss and mushrooms.
>>
>>2167273
Why do you think that outdoor deaths are NOT increasing due to increasing popularity?
>>
>>2167357
its mostly cardiac issues that wouldn't be fatal if they occurred closer to medical care. lake mead though is almost certainly drowning/alcohol related.

people do die all the time in the grand canyon because they are retarded. that's probably the actual most dangerous one for the normie crowd. denali kills people too, but those are mostly people who know what they are doing (and know what they are getting into and the risks they are taking)
>>
>>2167437
>10k feet of gain
>that means
>10k feet of downhill

the climb is probably a good time but going down sounds like literal torture
>>
>>2167273
Over 35,000 americans are killed by wild animal attacks every month
>>
File: captcha.png (11 KB, 303x304)
11 KB
11 KB PNG
>>2167608
sauce?
>>
>>2167337
Nice pic bub. Maybe didn't feel that busy cause your picture is from the off season? Unless you're there often.
>>
>>2167273
>police officer died
lol who cares
>>
>>2167612
he's just a /pol/nigger tourist making a /pol/nigger joke, you can ignore him he's probably already gotten bored of /out/ being a slow board and left
>>
>>2167273
>how does a police officer die in the Rockys
>Jul. 16 - The 35-year-old woman

Ohhhh.... Live, Laugh, Love... well I hope she laughed and loved at least.
>>
>>2167345
drug and alcohol abuse lake state back at it
>>
>>2167329
North Cascades are a genuinely dangerous region. It’s not well traveled like other parks are. I was exploring Baker and massive rock slides were happening all over the mountain every single hour and I almost got caught up in one. The feeling I got in my gut when I saw that 10,000 ton Boulder flying at me is something I’ll never forget
>>
>>2167993
lol i sit in my boat in boundary bay looking at mt baker and thinking about how nuts anyone would be to climb it
>>
>>2167295
upper delaware is chill af. i'm guessing those are car accidents
>>
>>2167967
Nothing about what he posted indicated that he was from /pol/
>>
>>2167357
>>2167583
The Lake Mead deaths are drunk idiots drowning, mostly. Also drunk idiots crashing their boats into each other/rocks, and other people getting run into by drunk idiots driving power boats.
>>
>>2168362
You see, the Anon accusing the other Anon of being a polnigger is assuming negros kill 35,000 people a month (and that this is the statistic that the first Anon was referencing), because he's a giant racist who has no sense of scale.

Fwiw, negros don't kill anywhere near 35,000 people a month.
>>
>>2168411
yeah its like double that a year right
>>
File: Screenshot (248).png (281 KB, 1954x1521)
281 KB
281 KB PNG
>>2167273
nother one
>>
>>2167993
Holy fuck, how close did it get?
>>
>>2167273
fuck the police
>>
>>2167437
>10k feet in elevation *gain*
Hory shet
>>
>>2167295
>no joshua tree NP
thats crazy, everytime i go there i see the most under-prepared boomers walking around
>>
>>2167437
>>2167361
Baldy-Jacinto-Gorgonio. normies go for the triple crown every winter and get BTFO
>>
>>2167295
why do so many people die at the virgin islands national park and st croix?
>>
>>2170725
>man hiking with the youngest son of fiance
death to all cuckolds
>>
>>2167286
Lmfao I love how Arizona is on that list 3 times. We get so many out of staters coming in acting all tough and badass and then they try to hike the superstitions in the summer cry after 3 miles then drop dead or have to be carried out by helicopter to be a laughing stock on the news. Happens every year I swear, this state isn’t for normies.
>>
>>2167273
If I'm going to die somewhere, I hope it can be somewhere with fresh air, the smell of pines and a pack on my back.
>>
>>2167329
Lightly visited park with a lot of mountaineering. We get a lot of the idiots from seattle/canada visiting too.
>>
>>2167273
Natural Selection.
With any luck, stupid idiots don't survive life long enough to breed.
>>
>>2167273
>roastie
>piggy
>colorado
and nothing of value was lost
>>
>>2167330
>living in boulder
Not based.
>>
>>2170871
>>2167361
>>2167437

I've hiked both Jacinto and Baldy in the summer and they honestly weren't that bad. I was pretty sore afterwards, however.
>>
>>2171129
y
>>
>>2171992
>boulder
>>
File: 1615694010883.png (6 KB, 224x225)
6 KB
6 KB PNG
>>2168411
No I wasn't, not everything revolves around the US and your negros you obsessed retarded mutt.
>>
>>2172011
disgusting
>>
>>2167284
You're wrong, there are more people everywhere, both on the popular trails and rugged ones.
>>
>>2172023
If you were >>2167608, you're an illiterate fuckhead because I was taking about.
>>2167967.

If you're >>2167967, your image reveals you, and you absolutely are a niggerjew obsessed brainlet, crying out in pain as you strike at me.
>>
>>2168411
>negros don't kill anywhere near 35,000 people a month.
seriously, the number is misleading, most of those "people" killed are other negros.
>>
>>2167273
The dangers of nature are mostly long term ones, if you ignore large predators and heavy objects falling on your head.
>>
>>2167287
>blue ridge parkway
Most of those are going to be AT retards falling of a mountain or one of the local serial killers.
>>
>>2167967
Lol obsessed. Heil Hitler
>>
>>2167287
Alcohol involved at Lake Mead? Boating accidents? Black folks drowning?
>>
>>2167286
82 deaths is not nearly enough for drowning the natural and archeological wonder that was Glen Canyon.
>>
File: Rainbow Bridge 1964.jpg (84 KB, 500x396)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
>>2176471
>Remember what they took from you
>>
>>2174889
Not really....car accidents...
>>
>>2170919
The transplants and urbanites also underestimate everything else in the state as well and drowning, freezing, and lightning deaths are moderately frequent in AZ as well and occur annually.
>>
>>2167273
I attempted to get to Camp Muir on Rainier last July but there was too much snow/ice for me to make the final fourth of the trail. I got further than expected for only having my phone, water bottle, and some snackies but there were people on the mountain even less geared than me, and way more out of shape, pushing past the point where I had stopped. There were a few points where 1 slip meant you fell right off the mountain unless you could self-arrest. Now that I think about it I might have narrowly missed being stuck in a whiteout. It would only have lasted an hour at most but I've never been in one before and I probably would have shit my pants

I expect to see more missing persons/deaths as unprepared normies are forced outside

https://www.nationalparkstraveler.org/2020/06/missing-climber-died-crevasse-mount-rainier-will-remain-there
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/washington/articles/2021-06-16/hiker-dies-in-fall-through-mount-rainier-snow-bridge
https://www.nationalparkstraveler.org/2020/09/white-out-conditions-mount-rainier-lead-death-hiker
https://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/article245123145.html
>>
File: glen-canyon-dam-web-67.jpg (505 KB, 1224x816)
505 KB
505 KB JPG
>>2176477
sickening sickening sickening
>>
>>2176611
>that second link
ive done a lot of snow bank hiking recently and ive wondered a lot how can you tell youre on a (dangerous) snowbridge? ive hiked over ones with shallow streams underneath but have no clue of the warning signs of something more serious... does it feel hollow? hear rapidly running water? pure luck? idk
>>
>>2170883
suicide by nature
>>
>>2167273
I've been hiking there. You kinda have to be an idiot to get hurt there. My only other idea is that a Mountain Lion or other animal spooked here, and she rant to her doom. But that would still be on her for not knowing how to deal with wildlife. Sorry if that sounds callus, but it's correct.
>>
File: Martha.jpg (213 KB, 819x945)
213 KB
213 KB JPG
>>2176812
You've been to RMNP, or you've been to Martha's Couloir? If just the former, realize that RMNP is fucking huge and has everything from flat paved trails to hardcore backcountry mountain climbing. You have to be a larper extraordinaire to claim that pic related is somewhere that "you would have to be an idiot to get hurt there". That's not exactly where she died, but just to the east according to the article.
>>
>>2167292
The stats are meaningless if you're including "motor vehicle crash."
>>
>>2167273
I hope I do. Maybe the coyotes will even be so kind as to dispose of my moral remains.
>>
>>2167273
Haarman

Help I'm falling off a cliff
Aaaaaa-
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH
Retching sounds
M....momma...
Aaaaaauuuuuughblbbhlbbblbhlbggbb
NNnnnnnnNnnnnn-nn....nnnnmm,nmmn...n...n......
>>
>>2172011
There's a burrito place in that plaza that has some pretty good burritos, they had an in house super duper hot sauce that was about as hot as diablo sauce from taco bell. It kind of reminded me of that "extra mild for white people" meme. Also everyone walking around there was dressed like faggy hipsters.
>>
>>2172011
Thank God I have no reason whatsoever to visit that city.
>>
>>2176447
i've always assumed it's because of drunk vegas-goers, but i've also heard the currents are deceptively strong
>>
>>2167273
I'm on my county Special Operations Rescue Team. We are police/fire based, and cover wilderness and high angle rescue. You have no idea how many people attempt to summit a 5,000+ foot mountain on a 90 degree day with only one small water bottle, or the only hiking history they have is city parks. This kind of thing happens A LOT more than you think, it just doesn't make the news. I just worked a rescue where 2 kids had large tree fall on their tent in the night pinning one under the tree, we hoisted them out of the National Park with a Helicopter. You wont see that in the headlines. This happens all the time.
>>
>>2177261
>You have no idea how many people attempt to summit a 5,000+ foot mountain on a 90 degree day with only one small water bottle
I did that a couple days ago. What’s the problem?
>>
>>2177265
>>2177265
You're probably in good shape and go /out/ a lot. Usually most rescues are from dehydration, serious falls, trapped on a rock face or sprained ankles. Sometimes it's experienced people who ventured too far out of their element, but more often than not it's suburbanites going out for their IG pictures who were ill-prepared.
>>
City slickers need to just stay in their decaying cities.
>>
File: megapain.jpg (54 KB, 960x806)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
>>2177310
they wont tho
>>
>>2167273
American police forces are unique in the world for the lack of qualifications, training and experience required of them. Other countries expect people educated to degree level to spend years training to be police. In America you need a GED, six weeks of training and a dishonourable discharge. It really is no wonder that the calibre of law enforcement is so low.
>>
>>2177768
t. American
>>
I bet you HALF those Missing people in the National parks are fucking killing themselves. But the FAGGOT Governemnt is like. UH NO way our citiznes are TOTES HAPPY they would never KILL themselves!! We are so perfect! Just forget about them.
>>
>>2170919
Arizona is like a normie filter, its so weird. I was hiking up there on some easy trails, but a couple of points had inclines enough to where youd need to go on all 4s to get up them (to be on the safe side) and I remember at each one of those points thered be a group of out of shape people who were sitting at the bottom waiting because they couldnt or wouldnt go up further. Fucking embarrassing considering how out of the way you have to go to get to these places to begin with.
>>
>>2170919
Yep. Pima co. Here and i remember working on the border fencing project in '07-'10 and we had some national guard units doing some of the engineering project and labor.
Hot as fuck but i grew up here, hunting, hiking exploring in the desert all year round.
Some of units were from Georgia or thereabouts i think. Some females too.
One girl died on her first day from heat stroke near yuma. Too damn hot if your body is not acclimated. Happens every year
>>
>>2168406
>The Lake Mead deaths are drunk idiots drowning, mostly
well obviously, it's a lake of mead
>>
>>2177768
The Crown giving their view on police. The gayest, weakest police in the world.
>>
>>2176760
There's been some movement to get rid of the Glen Canyon dam and combine Lake Powell into Lake Mead. It wouldn't bring back all the ruins and archeological sites that were drowned, but at least the canyon ecosystem would be able to slowly return to normal.
>>
I had an experience with this last weekend

>On vacation with gf and her dog
>In Moab, UT
>Already did a few easy day hikes and Arches NP
>Decide to head out on Saturday morning after breakfast and a little shopping
>Going south on 191 out of town
>Start feeling this overpowering urge to turn the car around and do one more hike
>Decide to do it, drive 15 miles back to town, turn onto the street that leads to the Moab Rim Trail
>It's 7.7 miles out and back, we're aclamated to the heat and being from the south the lower humidity is not bad
>The hike starts out immediately uphill at a steep grade, only a few switchbacks
>We started at 1:15PM, 30 minutes into a slow pace my girlfriend throws in the towel, she and the dog are too tired to go on
>Fine by me, we're all tried, the sun was coming out from the cloud cover it had been behind all day, now the hottest part of the day
>Gf knows I like to push the limits, and we've been attached at the hip for two weeks straight
>Encourages me to go on, gives me the dogs water, an extra 64oz to add to mine giving me 1gal
>Gave her the keys to our shade parked vehicle with a full tank, AC, and a cooler of cold drinks
>Start marching up the rest of the incline
>Soon realize this will be one of the toughest uphills I've ever done, it's near 95F at this point, the sun is out and the steepness of this uphill is insane
>Pass one couple who are on their way down
>The guidebook listed this trail as 3.5-4 hrs round trip, its about 1:45 so these folks sensibly started it early
>Say howdy and continue climbing
>Get to the top where I had assumed things flattened out and stayed flat
>There's about a 1/4 mile of flat before it turns into downhill on the other side of the mountain I had just climbed
>Unsure at this point if I actually intended to complete the hike solo, all this new downhill would be uphill on the return trip
>Decide to keep walking
>Should also note at this point I'm seeing lots of helicopters
>>
>The downhill goes on for nearly a mile, nowhere near as steep as the first leg
>But I'm facing south in full sun at this point, I don't notice myself sweating but I know its because of the low humidity evaporating it off and keeping me cool
>I should mention I'm also type 1 diabetic
>Take quick breaks to rehydrate and consume carbs
>Contemplate turning around at this point but it feels wrong
>Continue on through some of the most beautiful landscape I've ever seen
>The trail is up and down at this point, going over large boulders and bluffs
>On the other side of these I see what appears to be the final uphill leg to the overlook
>It looks easy, drink a little water and push on
>Halfway up this steep section I begin to feel 'off', not low blood sugar off, more like heat exhaustion off
>Want to stop and rest but even sitting still in full sun feels like a bad idea
>Push on but start realizing the gravity of the situation. If something happens to me I'd most likely die before anyone got to me
>One rolled ankle or stumble might kill me in a place like this
>It was a good life anyway, I came to see the overlook thats where I'm going
>Deleriously get to the top and take a few dazed glances
>Take a rest under a shade tree and drink a lot of water, eat a lot of carbs
>Begin walking down and quickly realize how out of it I had been
>The 'short section of uphill' had been closer to 3/4 of a mile at a steep grade in full sun at around 3:30PM
>Cuckle to myself that I've made it and now its all downhill from here
>Except that one bit of uphill on the return, but after that its only flat and downhill back to the car
>Walk the last of the up & down portion, start at the uphill and note how drained I actually am
>Manage to get up that section in probably 3x the time it took to go down
>Get to the flat knowing I'll make it at this point, just a quick stroll then some downhill
>Eat and hydrate once again for trip back down
>>
>About haflway across the flat I see a helicopter on the ground near where the flat descends back down to the parking area
>Crazy that they actually bring tours to places like this, seems dangerous
>Expect to walk by a group of casuals who flew up the mountain I walked up
>No, I'm just too tired and stupid to realize it's an emergency helicopter until I walk past it and see the 12+ EMT's
>Why did I keep looking
>It all happened so fast
>The man on the stretcher with his face uncovered, that absence of life look that only real corpses have
>The vigil like positioning of the medics, the lack of rush to get this injured person to help
>That man is dead, those medics are consoling his greiving wife before loading them up to fly away
>Why am I here
>A man dressed in green approaches me, a ranger? And asks me to take the long way around
>I nod gently and go around
>I've seen plenty of dead people at wakes and funerals, but never a dead BODY, untreated and unglamorized
>It's haunting
>Realize at this point that my girlfriend back in the parking lot might be thinking I'M dead, start running down the trail
>Halfway down I encounter a sheriff deputy, female
>can't go back this way, maybe what I saw wasn't right
>I apologize for unintentially walking through that space
>Her face had been stern and unkind but quickly became soft and empathetic
>"You can't plan for everything"
>I ask about my girlfriend and the dog, tell her I have to keep going
>Continue down the trail
>Near the bottom I see the color and pattern of the shorts my girlfriend was wearing
>She's running up the trail to meet me, tears in her eyes
>We catch each other and embrace, she's sobbing telling me how worried she was
>We hold each other for a few minutes then start walking to the car
>The parking lot is full of EMT's
>Above all it felt like all the emergency responders there were happy to see my girlfriend and I be okay and meet each other safe at the end
>Probably a welcome change from their normal job
>>
>>2178035

Thats pretty much it. Did a dumb thing and ended up unharmed, but came into contact with death while up there. My irlfriend told me that she had waited in the shade where I left her for about 45 minutes when she saw that couple pass. The man was marching up the mountain with trekking poles, his wife was about 50 feet behind him huffing and puffing. Gf was one of the last 2 people to see that man alive. We still don't know what happened. Rest in piece mister
>>
>>2178038
Did the guy look /fit/ ?
>>
>>2177811
No that's not the case. They may be going to kill themselves, but the government isn't just going to flat out assume without knowing that it's the truth. Plus often times the family has no idea that their loved one was suicidal, and it wont make sense to tell them that Uncle Ron went out in the park to off himself, when Uncle Ron seemed happy and outgoing, and would never do such a thing. It serves no positive to put that information out there.
>>
>>2178052

He was gray, probably late 50's at the youngest. Heart attack maybe?
>>
>>2178062
Or aneurysm/stroke?
>>
File: b27.jpg (36 KB, 798x644)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
>>2167273
>female police
>>
>>2167292
Legal intervention? What is that, someone who was killed justifiably by another person?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.