[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 107 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

Does anyone else get irrationally angry at the phonies that inhabit this place? Any time I’ve been inside I just see fat senior citizens buying overpriced shit for imaginary outdoor activities they will never actually take part in. They will buy their lightweight titanium cookware, freeze dried meals and hiking sandals to a campground with a power hookup and drive into town to eat at restaurants and pretend to be outdoorsman. I have never once seen anyone in there that actually looks like they would know how to start a fire without a lighter. If I handed them a ferro rod they wouldn’t know what the fuck they were looking at.
>>
Not really however I am sick of being asked by every member of the store if I need help
>>
>>2163853
Just wear a “CAPITALISM IS GREAT” t-shirt and they won’t come anywhere near you.
>>
>>2163850
How does one use a ferro rod?

Asking for a friend...
>>
>Only phonies shop at REI
>I know that because I've only ever seen phonies there when I'm shopping at REI

OP, I...
>>
>>2163865
I’ve had to stop in three times. Once when they were the only store in town that had the pair of boots I needed. Second time when they had a huge rebate on gopros and the third time was to get a present for my mother who wanted a guide map of the U.S. she wanted to take on a road trip.
>>
>>2163872

It was just a bit of light ribbing, my man. Can I suggest chilling out? Outdoor stores are not reserved for hardcore enthusiasts.
>>
>>2163876
I get that but REI seems to cater exclusively to LARPing yuppies who would drive to the laundromat to wash their clothes mid trip because they smelled smokey after a camp fire.
>>
>>2163850
>Does anyone else get irrationally angry at the phonies that inhabit this place?
Yeah the staff. Inexperienced people that don’t know any more than what’s written in the catalog.
Like recently I asked over the phone if L and R zip sleeping bags, one mummy, one semi rectangular would zip together. No sorry. Oh well jus send another L overnight, I need it this weekend.
Arrives. CLEARLY designed the semi rectangular with 2 zips to match mummy.
FUCK GODDAMMIT TO LATE TO GO SWAP IT. So I’m about $400 of pissed off. Not REI but our equivalent, it’s all same shit at the end of the day.
>>
File: 559.png (1.37 MB, 2000x2000)
1.37 MB
1.37 MB PNG
>>2163850
>Imagine being such a larper you get angry at other people because they go outside more than you
why so insecure OP?
If you actually went oudoors for once in your life you wouldn't need to feel so inadequate
>>
>>2163850
clearly you are the phony because you don’t know that this is how rei works to be able to serve actual serious outdoors and extreme sports people. they sell all the fashion and useless gear so that they can afford to sell all the serious gear that has very little profit margin.
>>
>>2163850
I don't get why the clothes are so expensive for being made in SEA. Some of my grandpas cold weather gear he was issued in Korea works and holds up significantly better than the clown suits REI has in stock.
>>
>>2163947
>Some of my grandpas cold weather gear he was issued in Korea works and holds up significantly better than the clown suits REI has in stock.
Sure, until you get wet, or have to do any strenuous activities, like climbing a glacier.
>>
>>2163947
>I don't get why the clothes are so expensive for being made in SEA.
I hear you. Dad bought a jacket shop soiled under half price $350 about
’95. Delaminates about 2000. Decide to be cheeky, took it in and asked for lifetime warranty. No problem, walked out no questions asked. About ’05 seam tape started to peel. Warranty replacement. Still got that but it’s just plain wearing out.
Now the company’s moved to China, 1yr wty. Can’t even repair a zip. Cheaper, but still no change from $500, looks like they’d make it conveniently to about 18 months.
So cost to replace it for a similar duration? About $8500.
Recently new company started, quite expensive $600-900 jacket, $450 trousers but lifetime wty, manufactured here, repair here, super heavy duty.
I’d rather spend that bit extra and get a good run out of it and some product support than throw money at low cost, high markup, no backup crap still maintaining their “local” image.
>>
>>2164048
>Until you get it wet
The stuff has, many times over the last 70years, and still outperforms (in terms of not falling apart) the competition. Sure, if you fall in a river and have to walk a few miles it's not the best option but it still keeps you warm enough.

>Or have to do any strenuous activity.
My dad used the gloves, face mask, shoepacs, and parka regularly during the winter to plow the driveway since he was too much a cheap ass to buy anything new. Now I wear it to larp around up north on trips with friends.

>Like climbing a glacier.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure infantry gear wasn't/isn't designed for the average combat troop to scale a glacier you fucking idiot.
>>
>>2164307
>Shut up it works!
>Shut up it works!
>Well of course it doesn't work for that, stupid!
>>
>>2163850
You're seriously gatekeeping REI? Occasionally I see some cringey stuff there, (some 30 year old dude looking for electronic equipment so he could extend his wifi beyond his van and browse reddit from his laptop. I'm not even kidding, the dude held up the line for like 8 minutes asking for help), but even then who cares? Everyone starts somewhere.
>>
>>2164326

>Its not suitable for climbing a glacier
>Its not a good idea to fall in a river in cold weather

These things are true for most clothing on the planet, LARPnigger.
>>
>>2163872
Wow imagine actually trying to defend yourself this hard on an anonymous trash site to defend your personal dignity, while being anonymous.
>>
>>2163880
Okay, and?
>>
>>2163850
Mostly I see yuppies buying teva sandals and puff jackets.
>>
>>2163865
Ope-
>>
>>2163850
I used to be this way about REI

but I came to see its just a store and one that sells stuff that is quality and supplies a used section for poorfags like myself, and if I buy something ill get money back.

does it have hipster feels to it
yeah
but its hard to find a store that also sells good camping supplies like them.
>>
>>2163880
I mean thats who I would sell garbage too , the fact they still have any real stuff less in the store Im happy about
>>2164481
I mean some people come here to actually discuss things not just shitpost
>>
>>2163880
Those larping fags keep the cost down on all your hard items anon.
>>
>>2164513
>Defending my ego is discussion
>>
>>2163859
You throw it away and buy a Bic lighter. Firestarter larp is one of the stupidest tropes in the world of /out/. When will you ever need to rub two sticks together when we have endless supplies of matches, lighters, flares, etc. There should never be a time where you don't have a good lighter on you. These spark devices are just added frustration.
>>
>>2164051
what the fuck? English mothafucka do you speak it!?
>>
File: IMG_3780.jpg (528 KB, 1000x750)
528 KB
528 KB JPG
i know what will cheer you up, OP. you should go walk thru this huge patch of nettles wearing nothing but yr boots!
>>
File: batonny chop chop 1.webm (2.7 MB, 480x270)
2.7 MB
2.7 MB WEBM
>>2164613
>You throw it away and buy a Bic lighter.
this

>Firestarter larp is one of the stupidest tropes in the world of /out/.
for some reason it's always underaged highschoolers or bugaboo manchildren who are ferro rods.
I can't quite put my finger on why but they usually have a lot of overlap with batonny chopchop too

>>2163880
>to wash their clothes because they smelled smokey after a camp fire.
Stay mad LARPnigger, your clothes never smell smokey because you don't go outside.
No, the doritos smokey barbecue flavor chips that you eat in Mommy's basement you doesn't count
>>
>>2164615
Was a bit pissed sorry.
Rambling but still makes sense.
½ pissed now though, so... usually?
Mostly?
>>
>Holden Caufield posts on /out/
>>
>>2163850
Last time I was in there was to try on some trail runners I saw online. I needed a halfway size and they didn't have it but the sale's associate kept fucking pestering me to buy a whole size below the one I needed because "it'll stretch out bro don't worry." Told him I'll just buy the size I need online and he got genuinely upset because "oh well I'm going to miss this sale then." Like nigger that's not my problem fuck off.
>>
I don't like physical stores because they all follow the same exact strategy now of having wagies follow you around trying to force you to buy shit. Fucking hate it. Used to be just Best Buy was like that but they all do it now
>>
>>2164658
I don’t have this problem. Maybe stop looking like a thief or a confused retard?
>>
I don’t have this problem because I don’t go to the store to gawk at normies, I go to buy what I need and leave
>>
Who gives a fuck man, sometimes I go to expensive whisky tasting events even though I don't know shit about whisky. It's fun and my choice how I spend my time and money. If some old boomer wants to belatedly get into hiking why is that a problem?
>>
Why would I use a ferro rod when I can buy a bic for like 2 bucks
>>
I wouldn't know. You won't catch me dead inside an REI, Cabela's, Bass Pro or Dick's because I do all my shopping online.
The fewer people I have to deal with in the stores or in the outdoors, the better
>>
You have the mentality of a stuck up cunt who uses your hobbies as a crutch for your utterly unremarkable character. Imagine some chess player getting mad that people like to play monopoly, or a manchild gamer getting mad that not everyone treats video games like a competitive sport. That's what you are. Newsflash, nearly everything you use for your middle class tree fucker lifestyle was actually invented for people who needed them, and thus have uses outside of your hobby.
>>
Why would I hate REI.
>climbing manager usually knows what he's talking about
>always a good source for advice on where to go
>most of the women who work here are cute/hot outdoorsy types
>bought my pair of Salomon 3D Quest's here in 2018
>have been getting a new pair every single year by returning them
>>
>>2163850
You are very angry at a store that sells boots and shit. Go take a walk, LOL
>>
>>2163853
Then when you finally need help, they're not there.
>>
>>2165198
That's because you acted like an asshole the first time they asked.
>>
>>2165131
This. You can just return your shoes after every hiking season and have a brand new pair for next year.
>>
>>2165249
I thought they only allowed you to do that for one year though.
>>
>>2164649
I'll be honest man, I had no idea wtf you were trying but I think it's along the lines of
>Dad bought defect jacket but finessed a lifetime warranty out of the company.
>Jacket worked for many years but eventually broke
>Manufacturer of said jacket moved production to Chinkistan
>As a result of the now (shitty) manufacturer they're incapable of fixing the smallest problems
>>
>>2163850
When asked if he needed anything, my friend's dad suggested outdoor gear. REI is a store that sells apparel and tote bags.
>>
>>2163856
underrated
>>
>>2163853
they have to or they get yelled at by the managers I used to work at a place like that
>>
File: b9369d3e.jpg (28 KB, 700x700)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>>2163859
>How does one use a ferro rod?

First of all, this...
>>2164613
>You throw it away and buy a Bic lighter.

...but if you absolutely have to...
>break away small chips from the rod with a knife until you have a small bunch
>put that bunch into whatever fuel source is available, needs to be absolutely thin and dry because the chips aren't that effective
>strike the rod to light up all the chips at once

The other style is to just rapid-scratch the stick while holding it against the fuel.

It's a complete meme, harder to use than a lighter and the only thing it's actually used for is internet conversations where some random shithead has to try to get above other people by saying they use the "real and manly" option while "everyone else takes the easy way" and are not "real outdoorsmen". Much like what OP is doing ITT.
>>
File: retard.jpg (9 KB, 300x168)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>2163850
>Does anyone else get irrationally angry
no. I am more emotionally mature than that. I dont let trivial nonsense get me angry.
>>
File: 1618884328832.png (864 KB, 1024x683)
864 KB
864 KB PNG
>>2163850
I actually appreciate REI. I had no one in my life that would take me out into the woods and I became interested a few years ago. I'd go hiking on gym clothes because I didn't know any better and paid the price. Searching for info online I came across their articles, then visited the store and they explained with much patience what kind of shoes I should wear for the terrain, backpack stuff, etc. Laugh at me all you want OP, but I appreciate how they helped an absolute noob
>>
File: miranda.jpg (101 KB, 980x551)
101 KB
101 KB JPG
>>2163850
she cute though
>>
File: food.jpg (637 KB, 1080x1264)
637 KB
637 KB JPG
>>2164613
>>2164634
>>2166562
warning: I'm a larper
Are there not situations where a ferro rod is better than a lighter because the sparks are hotter than the flame of the lighter?
>>
>>2167236
No, the only reason that a ferro rod could be better is it will last longer. You will never be in a situation where your gonna go through a whole lighter
>>
>>2166859
Should have just came to 4chan. This place doles out amazing outdoors advice for free, we could have set you up with some sweet, proven milsurp for half the price.
>>
>>2167245
Is it more durable? Like a lighter can get crushed with a rock and then you're fucked, but the ferro rod can still be used even if it is pulverized with a rock, but if the lighter fluid gets out that's it. Even a case for the lighter can only protect against so much, right?
>>
>>2167277
In all of life I have never seen or heard of your worst lighter fears happening with a bic and even if they do, just carry two mini ones.
I get it though, ferro rods are a great larp, I have one in my moras handle, I have never used it once while /out/.
>>
>>2167245
ferro rod is nice in alpine environments because bics dont work well when cold but the tinder is still pretty dry (sometimes), but you can also just keep it close to your body
>>
>>2163850
nah I got presents from there from family members with memberships. Everything I get is from my local shop which is still pretty expensive but it is what it is
>>
>>2167252
I eventually realized that, thing is I mostly hang at /g/ and didn't even know /out/ existed for a long time until I was already going out myself for about a year
>>
>>2163850
No. What you've described is a luxury for the minds of smaller, younger men
>>
>>2163872
>the pair of boots I needed

oh, you needed the special high end boots sold only at REI? I wonder if lewis and clarke had those boots

you needed them though. you needed.
>>
>>2167236

>Are there not situations where a ferro rod is better than a lighter because the sparks are hotter than the flame of the lighter?

It's a great backup, is not destroyed by water, doesn't freeze, doesn't melt near fire, can be broken into pieces and still works etc. For all practical purposes - indestructible.

You can easily light whatever petroleum industry-based fuel you have in gas, liquid or solid form, but if you have to light wet wood-based tinder, it's not that good.
>>
I bet they don't go home and complain about other people at the store not being true outdoorsmen like a bunch of prissy cunts.
Mind your own business, faggot. If you don't like the store, go to another.
>>
File: IMG_20210716_125837.jpg (2.2 MB, 4032x3024)
2.2 MB
2.2 MB JPG
Went for some books the other day, I was disappointed that they didn't have fillet knives or 18650 batteries for my headlamp. Can confirm that there were a lot of overweight people buying bucket hats and titanium cookware.
>>
>>2166859
truly pitiful. average modern man. completely unable to think for himself or outside the box.
britbong? soulless AND mindless.
>>
>>2163850
I bought all my gear from REI and Walmart (before I was sure I wanted to pick up /out/ as a hobby). They both seemed to have good deals and the guy I talked to regularly camped in the Appalachians.
>>
>>2167277
Are you going to mash your lighter with a rock you fucking ape?
>>
>>2166859
I like REI for the same reasons myself, its too bad more people dont see the utility of the store.
Not only that but for many people in the US REI is their only option for outdoor stuff to purchase in person.
I like how /out/ is simultaneously too good to use REI but also too poor to based on all of the complaints on price.
Just goes to prove that poverty is the biggest reason the average posters of 4chan dont like things, its the same on every board just for different things.
>>
>>2167524
REI is just a camping goods store like any other store there’s no sense in anthropomorphising it into a being you don’t like. The only posters who are gonna complain about REI is milsurp larping turboautsimos
>>
>>2167530
No its a common theme among poorfags on all of 4chan to vocally say things are shit that they cant afford, like nice computer parts on /g/ or nice guns on /k/.
Its a culture of sour grapes
>>
>>2167538
>Its a culture of sour grapes
this only happened since board tourist /pol/niggers flooded this board.

They irrationally hate REI because
>muh politics
when it's just a fucking retail store.
And in OP's case, he hates REI because he knows at heart he's a larper, it makes him feel insecure to be reminded that "normies" and suburbanites go outdoors far more than he does.
>>
>>2167538
There's a big difference between "can't afford" and "don't want to overpay for"
I mostly hate on REI because of the crowd it attracts: coastal snobs who I don't want coming inland acting all smug in their trendy gear
>>
>>2167545
>"normies" and suburbanites go outdoors far more than he does
And you know this how? Not even the OP btw
>>
>>2167549
>Not even OP btw
>>
File: 9365.jpg (18 KB, 600x600)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>2167549
>>2163850
>They will buy their lightweight titanium cookware, freeze dried meals and hiking sandals to a campground with a power hookup and drive into town to eat at restaurants and pretend to be outdoorsman
That's more often than OP goes outdoors: which is never
>>
>>2167545
No its an overall theme of 4chan to call things that are expensive gay and unneeded etc when deep down most posters are simply too poor to get the things.
>>2167546
>n-n-no, im not too poor to buy things there, I just think its stupid to buy things there due to markup!
Yea sure dude, meanwhile I'll shop at rei to destroy everything I buy then replace it for free.
>>
>>2167580
>then replace it for free
Who's the poorfag now? At least I pay for my own shit. You're basically nigger-tier doing that. On par with shoplifters.
>>
Also I don't even have an REI anywhere near me because I live deep in the countryside and not in a trendy suburb like you probably do
>>
>>2167602
Can you receive mail? Do you order anything off the internet ever?
>>
>>2167613
>I'll shop at rei
>at rei
>at
>>
So basically you're a trendy suburban faggot with ghetto nigger shopping habits. Got it.
>>
File: 2021-06-27 20.52.31.jpg (1019 KB, 1652x1239)
1019 KB
1019 KB JPG
>>2163850
Here in Canada we have MEC (which actually is no longer a co-op despite it still pretending it is)
MEC is basically the equivalent of REI.
My favorites are the camp hipster types.
Decked out in Patagonia, lightweight everything, and scrawny as fuck.
I still enjoy going in and checking out stuff, but always end up going to Canadian Tire instead for my camping gear.

My biggest regret is buying this tent. It works great, but for a quarter of the price I could have picked up one of those Amazon or Canadian Tire shitters and used it just fine.
>>
File: 123558823.png (490 KB, 449x401)
490 KB
490 KB PNG
>>2167757
>he bought an MSR for car camping
lmao you're just as bad as the "camp hipster types" you're criticizing. Even worse because you lack self awareness
>>
>>2167765
Retard, read my whole post next time.
>>
>>2167757
mec is trash these days. the only mec gear i still have is a belt that i bought 15+ yrs ago and is still getting compliments to this day
>>
>>2167757
Yeah, I have that same tent, doesn't stuff much smaller than a cheaper 1-2 person tent.
I made the same mistake when I was starting out.
>>2167765
He literally admitted to being a retard.
>>
>>2167757
>>2167772
For Canada if you want a real CO-OP you want Valhalla pure.
I might be mixing this up, but if the anon who told me was right, vpo.ca was started by people who left MEC after it was no longer a CO-OP.
>>
>>2167772
Damn, nigga, you got a belt that gets regular compliments and you’re not going to show us a picture? I gotta see this belt.
>>
>>2163859
>ferro rod
It's a flint and steal, dumbasses using arcane terminology to gatekeep. That is all it is.
>>
>>2167600
Lmao, you do realize that is the reason rei has that return policy right? So if you break your shit while using it you dont suffer a huge loss.
Imagine buying /out/ gear to baby instead of using wewfuckinglad
>>2167885
A ferro rod is neither of those things though.
>>
>>2163850
REI is great if you have money
>>
I've never been to REI because the closest one is a three hour drive, but I work at a park and the amount of disgusting hipsters I see on a daily basis wearing thousands of dollars of gear to walk the same paths that I see young children and the elderly walking on astounds me.
>>
>>2166862
Fuck yes.

>>2167916
Tbh I like testing gear on easy trails. Not saying they are, but sometimes I go for a 4-5 mile hike in my camping outfit just to check on comfort
>>
>>2167889
Wait seriously? The closest REI to me is like an hour away so I've never went but... Are you saying you can just fucking buy shoes or boots for basically a whole year, and then return them all worn down for your money back? The store doesn't eventually tell you to fuck off?
>>
>>2167957
Yea you can do that, basically buy gear, use the gear like gear instead of a faggot, return said gear before 1 year is up, rebuy gear with return money for a whole new years worth of warranty period and repeat.
I like Arc'teryx shoes a lot, they fit me well and feel good, but no joke they are designed to only last a year or two with serious use and likely a lifetime for a cityfag.
So I just do that every year myself for my dead bird shoes, works really well.
>>
File: 1623357479928.jpg (56 KB, 732x959)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>2164613
Reminds me of one friend that always gave me shit about just using lighters for fires.
>"Pioneers hundreds of years ago never had lighters, we should try to rough it more by using flint rocks or sticks!"
Asshole, if lighters existed back then pioneers would've bought dozens of them and used them nonstop. Stop acting like the outdoor equivalent of a starving artist.
>>
>>2167236
>Are there not situations where a ferro rod is better than a lighter
Yes.
As an emergency last resort method.
As another anon said, they are mostly waterproof (they might oxidize a bit with dampness), they don't freeze, they don't melt (but be careful, they burn).
They are, for all intents, pretty much indestructible.
And easy to put on a lanyard around your neck so you don't lose them.

Also, sometimes a spark will take pretty well when a flame won't.
Same way a normal lighter sometimes works better than a torch lighter.
>>
>>2167985
Arcteryx boots are my favorite but youre right theyve got shit durability and have been discontinued lol. Most comfortable boots ive ever owned though
>>
>>2167777
VPO isn't a co-op, it's a franchise. Still the best /out/ store in the lower mainland despite the infrastructure being a clusterfuck.
>>
>>2168068
Which boots do you like, I was thinking of getting some of their newish mounteering boots.
>>
File: miranda.jpg (159 KB, 1280x720)
159 KB
159 KB JPG
>>2166862
she is so cute bros
>>
>>2168087
the bora/bora 2s are great, even though theyve been discontinued you can snag them in your size for cheap from time to time on ebay if you look for it ( I have 3 pairs lol). Ive seen their mountaineering boots on ebay too for less than retail but still pretty pricey
>>
tfw literally hired by REI this past week
>>
>>2168095
She is a lesbian or someshit iirc
>>2168098
I've heard really good things about their Bora boots, same with their Acrux boots, but yea durability issues are pretty bad with them.
Maybe I'll shell out full REI price for them and start that forever warranty loop with them.
>>
>>2168112
Any job where you are required to interact with the public with a simpering smile on your face is utter shit, goodluck anon
>>
>>2163850
I go to an REI just outside of DC for stove fuel and random Mountain House when I'm too lazy to put my own stuff together. The people there are pure concentrated yuppies though. I try not to be too mean, since I guess they are trying to do outdoorsy shit which is better than nothing. Just hurts to watch obese business types buy stuff for a trip you can tell they'll never use.
>>
>>2167333
lewis and clarck needed a savage fucking native american THOT so yeah, i needed the boots
>>
>>2168160
Fuck it I'd go barefoot it meant having a cute /out/ native gf.
>>
File: 4670109-benio-adashino.jpg (161 KB, 620x960)
161 KB
161 KB JPG
>>2167885
You're completely fucking illiterate and deserve no better than a slow, agonizing death.
>>
>>2168160
Now I'm horny and need to whack off, but Native American porn doesn't exist. Thanks a lot asshole
>>
>>2164654
fuckin kek
>>
File: 1539953808764.jpg (344 KB, 1500x1500)
344 KB
344 KB JPG
>>2163853

I literally had five people walk up to me and ask if I need help in a two minute time span. It's like, fuck, just let me browse the fucking freeze dried food in peace, dude.

I like a lot of the gear they have for sale, at the very least it lets me check it out in person instead of looking at photos and descriptions online before ordering, but yeah, the fact most of the employees are patchouli-smelling hipsters and their customers are largely women in yoga pants who think they need high-end gear to ride a bike through the park is annoying.

Although I find it hilarious that if I go in my /out/ clothing, particularly in winter when I resemble pic related, people come up and ask me what I think of various products in there, as if I'm some kind of expert. If I just stop in there after work, I get ignored by everyone but the employees who are asking if i need help every five seconds.
>>
>>2168614
That's a sick hunting outfit. So is camo really just a meme? I know it matters less for big game I guess, but everyone and their mothers says to wear it for small game/birds like turkey.
>>
>>2168668
Camo is a meme if you’re going to shoot an animal from 100 yds away. This is not a sick hunting outfit you will look like the biggest fucking autist if you wear some shit like this
>>
>>2168731
I don't know, I think that guy looks really dapper myself.
>>
File: 1586624419069.jpg (229 KB, 683x1024)
229 KB
229 KB JPG
>>2168668

Solid colors, earth tones and greens, work just fine 99% of the time. The purpose of camo is to break up your outline so it's no longer an obvious human shape. So it depends on the environment and what you're hunting.

>>2168731

Wool pants, a wool sweater, canvas parka, and wool alpine ski cap are autistic? That's how the majority of European hunters, particularly in the Alps, have dressed for centuries. And I really could care less what people think of my outfit, so long as it's comfortable and functional.

But every time I go to an outdoor store like REI in my /out/fit, everyone seems to assume I'm an expert. I get random people asking my opinion on various bits of gear they're looking at, or asking about what I'm wearing.
>>
File: 1576447743073.jpg (851 KB, 1500x2400)
851 KB
851 KB JPG
>>2168812

I just really like the look, feel, and functionality of oldschool outdoor gear, especially wool and waxed canvas. Then again, I hunt with a 100 year old German drilling that I load with paper shot shells, chambered in an obsolete/obscure caliber (8x58r Sauer), so maybe I am /out/istic about doing things the old-fashioned way.
>>
File: 1599571245610.jpg (107 KB, 1024x669)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
>>2168818
No anon, youre based af
>>
>>2168812
No people are investigating if you drove there yourself or you got dropped off
>>
>>2168818
>>2168812
If you wanna larp as old timey mountain men that’s fine just don’t pretend there’s practicality in that decision.
>>
>>2163850
Their return policy is killer. Normally I don't abuse shit like this but after dealing with all the faggots in the store last time I am going to. I bought a Garmin Instinct and after using it it for 6 months I am going to walk in, tell them that it doesn't hold a charge anymore, get my store credit, and then buy a nicer model.
>>
>>2168925
Electronics have a 90 day hard warranty, it won't work.
>>
>>2168300
Cody Lane is native

i like REI's garage sales, I got some good boots and a thermarest and a headlamp for like $40 and they are all working really well 4 years later
>>
File: 1586619839933.jpg (1.01 MB, 1611x3193)
1.01 MB
1.01 MB JPG
>>2168903

>guy who never goes outdoors and has a $1,000 parka insulated with Chris Costa's facial hair is upset that a guy wears old-fashioned /out/ gear that is comfortable and aesthetic and works
>he's so insecure he has to attack anonymous people on the internet

Do you even realize you're human cancer?
>>
>>2168731
Why? Because he doesn't look like the average country lard who wears jeans and a Wal-Mart hoodie for going out? Fucking mutts.
>>
>>2163880
and these LARPing yuppies, are they in the room with us right now?
>>
>>2168971
This is also what costco does. I was like what is stopping me from just trading in a dell xps every year for a new one instead of building a pc once every 10 years.
>>
>>2163947
Pics of grandpas gear or he rollz in grave
>>
>>2168225
She looks like she needs a headpat from an oniichan
>>2168300
>but Native American porn doesn't exist
https://exhentai.org/g/962771/a1c1bebd6a/
https://exhentai.org/g/365005/455bdd321a/
use the "dark skin" tag
>>
>>2169076
>>he's so insecure he has to attack anonymous people on the internet
>in a thread about attacking anonymous people for simply shopping at a store on the internet
Please tell me about insecurity some more
>>
>>2169120
t. never been to an REI
>>
>>2169076
>N-no it’s the people with MODERN gear that are the LARPers not me!
>>
>>2163899
Imagine being so fat that you need to attach two sleeping bags together. Lmaoing at your life.
>>
>>2167305
This.

I have been saying this in every firestarter thread for years now.

I have been mountaineering where people burn through a BIC lighter in a day just trying to light gas stoves, not even trying to burn dry tinder/etc.

I use firesteel for lighting gas stoves, and storm matches for lighting solid fuels.

I use a BIC at home when lighting my bbq.
>>
>>2169211

Too bad I'm not OP, or you might've had a point.
>>
>>2169122
You used to be able to do that, but too many people abused their return policies for buying tvs for sporting events only to return them when the season is over.
>>
>>2168113
nah she takes dick

source: IG
>>
File: You.jpg (105 KB, 610x738)
105 KB
105 KB JPG
>>2168614
>>2168812
>>2168818
>>
>>2167545
/pol/ here, none of us care at all about REI. Have fun obsessing over us on our own website, see you tomorrow.
>>
Hello, I am not american.

I only once went into one of these REI stores. It was in Santa Fe.
I was looking at some random stuff and after the 5th worker came by asking me if I needed help I went into the very front and looked at the displays there hoping no one would bother me anymore.
But then I had the issue of elderly people always approaching me, and telling me about the products that were close to us for no apparent reason. One couple started asking me what I was doing geenrally and then told me which of the foldable chairs I should buy.

It was a very unpleasant experience and I struggled to find these people somehow working together as a kind of childish prank.
>>
>>2170301
>asking me if I needed help
>It was a very unpleasant experience
goddamned you fucking snowflake
>>
>>2163850
This is a lot of self hate for one post
>>
>>2170301
>goes into outdoor store
>gets asked about outdoor activities
>spergs out

NGMI
>>
>>2168731
I thought the same when I saw it, but didn't post it. Shitty overpriced pants tucked into socks. A hat I own but would not wear in the weather pictured. A pack that is a very basic design but made with materials that 'justify' a huge price tag. This looks like some hipster advert.
>>2168812
I own those gaiters and they suck. They hang low and for whatever reason they have string under the boot to hold it in place so that's a cool thing until it wears out. Actual larp. If it's fashion over utility, it's larping
You can buy surplus that isn't camo, surprise, but costs a fraction of this guy's model outfit,
>>
>>2167885
Ferrocerium is an alloy of iron, cerium and a few other thngs. Flint is microcrystaline quartz. Nobody uses actual flint and steel anymore.
>>
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (201 KB, 1280x720)
201 KB
201 KB JPG
>>2170607
>Nobody uses actual flint and steel anymore
lol have you ever seen bushcraft larpers
>>
>>2168818
Anon post your rifle that sounds based as fuck.
>>
>>2171319

There's a photo of me with it and the 320lb audad I shot with it last season in the /out/ with a gun thread.
>>
>>2163850
the REI folks at the arcadia, ca store know their stuff. the one in santa monica is full of hipsters.
>>
File: 1608041366505.jpg (75 KB, 992x636)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
>>2163850
REI is a co-op scam for yuppies. As malls died they basically replaced Eddie Bauer and the 'mountain' section of department stores. People who shop and wear this shit don't actually go outdoors/camping and if they do they are man bun wearing sit with their legs crossed democrat west coast retards. All the manliest dudes I know including myself who is pretty fucking manly despite the fact that I do own 1 pink shirt and shaved my face this week would never be caught dead in this FAG ZONE of a store. Their shit is literally catered to make people you are an outdoors-ey hiker/park enjoyer but in reality you just want that look despite the fact that you drive a 2010 accord to your shitty fucking 60K$ a year office job and spend all your money on retarded consumerism bullshit with no utilitarian purpose and are probably a vegan or king of reddit or some other gay retarded shit. I wouldn't be caught dead anywhere near here and would drive futher or pay more money to buy from literally anywhere else. You can't tell me the corporate offices for this douche-haven isn't a millenial open office no closed door 'collaborative' office space with retarded shit on the walls that uses agile methodology and has bean bags. Fuck REI, and anyone who shops there. I'm going to the local hardware store, buying my clothes from carhart or letting my wife buy them for me like a real man, and if I need fucking camping or hunting equipment I'll get it from the vast array of other businesses that deserve my fucking money.
>>
>>2168812
>>2168614
>>2169234

This is the gayest fucking thing I have ever seen. The best part is you think you look cool but in reality if someone shot you in the woods the jury would look at what you were wearing, laugh the perp would be acquitted and no one would bat an eye because you look like such a ginormous queef. I don't even care if the jannies ban me for bullying because quite frankly you deserve it.

>Trying too hard/10

This absolutely screams I wore a fedora in high school and banged the 3/10 that slept with 2 of my autistic friends before me. Just dress normally and utilitarian. Its fucking camping not a fashion shoot in 1948. Holy fuck KYS
>>
File: 1587048720866.jpg (325 KB, 1689x2362)
325 KB
325 KB JPG
>>2164654

You sir, win one free internet.
>>
File: 1570400534775.jpg (337 KB, 731x1024)
337 KB
337 KB JPG
>>2171931

>has to attack someone on an anonymous imageboard to feel better about himself
>immediately resorts to insults
>immediately resorts to sexual projection, proving he probably never got laid in high school and is still bitter about it
>probably the same faggot who shows up in every wool thread to cry about how he's totally not allergic to wool but it's just so itchy you guys

Edgy 14 year olds aren't allowed to post here, anon.
>>
>>2171942
Wool? Jesse what the fuck are you talking about? Wool has its utilities. Why the fuck are you talking about sheep, son?

Anyway I'm trying to help you by telling you not to dress like a fucking retard. You think you're impressing people. You're not. They're all laughing at you. Ultimately your motivation is to get likes, compliments, and pats on the back because you have low self-esteem. Just be fucking normal holy shit.
>>
>>2171946
>Just be fucking normal holy shit
You must have missclicked your plebbit link fren, maybe you should go back?
>>
>>2171960
>>2171942
Please keep going. The idea of some retard dressed like he is going to ride a unicycle around town with a twirly moustache and victorian era clothing talking shit to anyone about anything is highly entertaining to me. I don't know where you get your undeserved sense of confidence but the irony is astounding. You are literally too autistic for your own good. I'm trying to help you by telling you to stop trying to hard. Maybe I should go the other route and encourage you to dress even faggier and encourage you to post pics here to I can laugh at you. Holy fuck this is great
>>
>>2171965
>4chan posters need to be normal, let me help you!
You really do need to go back
>>
>>2171941
go back
>>
>>2171965
>t. amerilard
Don't you have some grease stains to wash out of your graphic tee faggot?
>>
>>2163850
>>2163880
No, worse thing is they take trekking poles on half mile flat trails. Also larpers litter less than homeschoolers, dog walkers and trashy locals by several orders of magnitude.
>>
File: 1574906922704.png (1.67 MB, 1383x887)
1.67 MB
1.67 MB PNG
>>2171946

You're such a massive faggot that you're taking my statement about a whiny bitch crying about wool to be an attack on wool, after I stated that I like wool. You're so eager to have someone to attack on an anonymous imageboard that you have to lie and pretend people are saying the opposite of what they're saying. Nobody is impressed by your bullshit. Everybody sees you for the little worm you are. So why keep going? What's your goal here? Just to be contrary for the sake of contrariness?

>>2171965

>Victorian era clothing
>discussion is traditional European Alpine gear still in common use today

Again, why do you have to blatantly lie in order to justify being a piece of shit and pretend you're superior? You're anonymous, you're not getting any pats on the back for every mile of dick you've sucked. Go back to R*ddit and let people enjoy what they want to enjoy. You're a sad, pathetic little worm who doesn't even care what anyone says or likes, so long as you can attack it. Begone, worm. You have no power here.
>>
>>2164511
I love REI. I go there and shop theur clearance racks, and their garage sales and returned goods. I have a nice Osprey pack and a great Marmot rain jacket that I got killer deals on.

I dont hate on LARPy dude who pays full price, he keeps the place in business.

The people at REI know their business and I dont hate on the place at all. Anyone that does is just letting their hipster show
>>
>>2172197
No. I don’t wear a shirt usually. I’m jacked
>>
>>2172235
TLDR lol fagit
>>
File: 1614686258692.jpg (84 KB, 640x640)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
rei is good for maybe about 3 things

1-miranda
2-garage sales
3-gear articles
I usually only go there to buy nonspecific gear items. never clothes never tents never overpriced dumb shit. buy the specific necessities online and if you dont live in the middle of nowhere go to an archteryx store or wear what you already have
>>
>>2163850
Why is everything there so fucking expensive? I get my /out/ hiking boots from there but that's it, every time I go looking for something it's all twice the price the it should be.
>>
>>2168160
>>2168300
>you now remember that she was like 13
it was a different time
>>2169268
imagine being such an incel that you can't even imagine having a girlfriend to share a double sleeping bag with. I don't have a gf either but at least I know what a double sleeping bag is for.
>>
>>2173488
Not the dude being accused of fat but my 30f single bag was stolen by my ex when we broke up but she left a 2 person sleeping quilt with the same temp rating.
I should get another smaller one but I'm too cheap.
>>
>>2169268
>Imagine being so fat that you need to attach two sleeping bags together.
I'm guessing this is your little joke?
Anyone that needs to zip 2 sleeping bags together on their own is in no position to be using a sleeping bag.
>>
>>2173359
hey back off shes mine
>>
File: 1599571019080.jpg (78 KB, 760x523)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
>>2173751

LARPers who never go outdoors and can't find a girlfriend can't understand that there's a reason for larger sleeping arrangements beyond being fat. Same as they can't comprehend how awesome old-fashioned Alpine gear is.
>>
>>2174139
Yeah these mfs sure look like the pussy squad.
>>
>>2173359
>miranda
Mmm. Can this be a Miranda thread?
>>
File: 1599747451296.png (2.79 MB, 950x1584)
2.79 MB
2.79 MB PNG
>>2174146

Seethe more.
>>
>>2175838
Cool fashion show blogger
>>
>>2163850
Gatekeeping your hobbies again bud
>>
>>2174139
These guys fuck more than you and your gore Tex zipper khakis
>>
>>2164634
>filename
please post 2
>>
>>2175838
pretty sure those pop bottles are period-correct..
>>
>>2168118
Bailys crossroad?
>>
>>2163899
They have a great return policy. Just go take it back after you use it.
>>
>>2163856
Wait, why would this work? I'm down to try it, but I don't get it.
>>
File: 27svaod18nj61.jpg (222 KB, 1367x1462)
222 KB
222 KB JPG
>>2178003
pic related are usually the clientele of REI.
>>
>>2178012
>Poorfag coping so hard you have to imagine a person you don’t like who shops at a store you don’t go to.
>>
>>2178015
?
>>
>>2178015
how am i a poor fag for pointing out the hypocrisy of leftist (especially socialist) that virtue signal about being anti-capitalist, anti-materialistic, anti-consumerism, anti-rich, etc being the very things they rage against?
that's all REI is full of. hypocrites that make excuses why they have to be the things they rage against. excuses why they need a $1,000 coats when a $80 coat at fred meyer does the same thing. while demanding others redistribute their wealth to them for they can buy said $1,000 coat.
>>
>>2178024
and to further add, yes, i live in WA. i'm surrounded by these idiots. every single "anti-capitalist" socialist / leftist i've met have been better capitalist than me when it comes to actions. if they really believed in their virtue signal about being anti-capitalist, anti-materialistic, anti-consumerism, anti-rich, they would be buying that $80 coat on sale for $50 at fred meyers instead of buying that $200 coat at REI that's the same damn quality. but i'm sorry, the fred meyer coat lacks norwegian wool. it just has, gasp, regular wool.

at least i'm not a fucking hypocrite when i go out there and buy a nvidia 3090 to shitpost on 4chan with.
>>
No, because soon they’ll be selling it on Craigslist, The Marketplace, or Ebay for 1/4 of the price.

NPC’s are only good for consuming.

Nothing more.
>>
>>2168818
have you ever looked into reloading anon?
Could probably save you quite a bit of money after about ~100 rounds

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.