[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 10463517.jpg (19 KB, 660x660)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
I just compulsively bought a 14.6 old town canoe. Tell me what I am in for.
>>
>>2134370
I've used both and will never use a canoe again.
>>
Kayak is much nicer for most situations.
Canoe is for groups or boy scouts.
Kayaks are for being able to move/flip it easily.
>>
>>2134370
I'm planning to buy pic related. I rather use a boat alone because it's pain in the ass if the other people with you is unskillful. Also I think kayak is easier to manage.
>>
Sitontop kayak is the best of both worlds fren
>>
>>2134370
Oh shit you already bought it? It’ll do you good. In any rough water you would leave the seats and paddle from your knees to increase leverage. It’s a great hobby. I’ve got sit on too kayaks but i grew up in canoes
>>
Canoe for rivers and extended trips, kayak for open water and just having a good time.
I personally prefer a canoe, really great if you have a gf/wife and want to hit a lake or river for a day. You can sit back, take turns paddling, eat. Just alot better than being in two kayaks or a tandem.
Also the ability to kneel, stand, walk around is godsend if you have any issues with being in one position for any length of time. Kayak kills my back after awhile and you cant change positions in it.
>>
>>2134370
>14.6 old town canoe
It's heavy, same weight as my 15 foot novacraft and fuck its so heavy. You will want another person when moving it 100%, not too bad though with a friend. It doesnt have a thwart but you werent gonna use it anyways at that weight. Oh and it's built like a brick shithouse so you can probably take it through anything, don't be afraid of rocks.
The person in the back has the most control over steering so put the better paddler there.
If its just daytripping bring a medium sized cooler with food/drink and its a guaranteed good time.
>>
File: kayak-loaded-opt.jpg (354 KB, 1200x674)
354 KB
354 KB JPG
I am thinking about getting one of these. Inflatable kayak.
>>
>>2134448
I have the sit on top version (or similar). My main problem is how thin the hull material is.
>>
>>2134566
I'm planning to get a canoe for this reason. I've used both and while kayaks are fun since I have to pick one it's canoe.
>>
>>2134668
Is it not stiff enough?
In Hungary this is the best value kayak I could find. The next step costs at least $200 more and have less features.
>>
>>2134614
Are these sturdy enough? I'm a little afraid of inflatable boats.
>>
>>2134614
bump, i only have a mazda 3; its this or i get a roof rack installed. been shore fishing for years and just dying to get on the water.
>>
>>2134703
get a roof rack.
>>
>>2134778
if i were to do so, is it worth it to shell out the funds for a pedal drive kayak? recently i saw a guy at a small lake with this jonboat type thing (it was very small) and he just put it in the back of a old shitty van. really wish i had a truck/van but is what it is
>>
File: 1617931656198.jpg (3.12 MB, 4608x2592)
3.12 MB
3.12 MB JPG
Yeah, I usually go out into the sea when the waves aren't too rough. Picrel is a dagger stratos 14.5.

>>2134614
Go for it, the inflatable ones might be slower but are usually less hassle when transporting it. Can easy paddle downstream, pack it up and just get a ride back to where you started.
>>
>>2134793
mazda 3 guy here, inflatable is my other option. i'd get a higher end one but are these things really safe? of course i wouldn't take it anywhere crazy but still
>>
>>2134686
I used one recently, though not that model (I think it was a Sea Eagle Tandem) and only on flat water. It felt more like a really fancy water toy than a boat. It seemed sturdy in the sense that I wasn't worried about scrapes lifting it onto a wooden dock, and could probably handle rocks in a river maybe even better than a kevlar boat. But it just didn't feel like a boat to me.
>>
File: 1593414408692.webm (2.98 MB, 720x338)
2.98 MB
2.98 MB WEBM
>>2134825
It honestly depends what you'll be doing. I use the inflatable with a pal of mine, everything else is with the hardshell. Although I've legit been suprised at how well the inflatable has performed. Rivers and flatwater it's pretty ace, but I couldn't imagine taking it out into rougher water since it'll probably just flip over. We've treated it pretty badly too, scraping it off the rocks and debris while getting closed to rocky shorelines and it's been fine so far; they're surprisingly made from tough material. Obviously not going to last forever like a hardshell would, but for trips every now and then they'll do just fine.
>>
>>2134446
Have a wive and a 2nd child on the way. Obviously not going to use it solo. Hopefully my wife is competent enough that she can adequately assist in loading and unloading it. I'm a pretty big dude so I don't think I will need a lot of assistance.
>>
File: images (6).jpg (9 KB, 259x194)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>2134857
Are racks easier to transport canoe than using this method?
>>
File: 20200713_142430.jpg (120 KB, 1148x638)
120 KB
120 KB JPG
my simple redneck setup
>>
>>2134781
I've never had one, but I know maybe 3 people with hobie mirage drives. They have never had any real complaints about them. It's great for moving or staying still on a river when you need your hands, like when fishing.
>>
>>2134857
a 17' kayak is 60 some lbs. It's ok to move, load and unload by yourself, but if you have to carry it far, it's a 2 person job.
What I found was that having a kid torpedoed our kayaking. Someone has to watch the kid, so a paddle with the wife requires a baby sitter. It'll be 6-9 years before you can just throw the kid in their own boat. When they are old enough to trust not to fall in, they can ride the deck in flat water, but you get looks from the anxious parents. Don't want to have the cops called for "child endangerment" by some fucking retard. I'd at least wait till they are 4 for the deck riding, but you'll know your kids best.
>>
>>2134900
M8 have your sprog sit on your lap with no spraydeck. I see 4 year olds in their own kayaks regularly anyway
>>
>>2134934
paddling with a child or a dog in your lap is impossible. theyre not an inanimate object
>>
>>2134870
nice, me and my dumb buddies bent one of those old style aluminium canoes getting it stuck sideways in some white water, yeah we were drinking
>>
>>2134937
Well somehow i manage to do the impossible then and have seen plenty of others doing it. Otherwise stop giving your kid sweets or raise them to listen and sit still
>>
>>2134942
i dont have children
>>
>>2134944
Then dont tell me its impossible you silly cunt
>>
>>2134900
This one is 80 LBS. I won't be doing any portaging outside of loading/unloading at the boat ramp.
>>
File: 2123.jpg (817 KB, 1588x960)
817 KB
817 KB JPG
I'm playing with the Idea to start with Canoe. I found some Boomer who is selling pic related for 400€/$500, its a Allagash 174 Canoe from Old town. He say its bent (see pics) but should be fine. Any opinions? Price ok?

Normal european rivers and I want to try fishing with it.
>>
>>2134683
Its stiff. So not sure if that model actually uses it but mine uses the "Ram-x" material. Its thinner and lighter for same stiffness which is nice.

My concern is that even shallow gouges are a decent percentage of the material thickness. But yeah they're good value and im pretty happy with mine still.
>>
>>2134968
Same anon with the material thickness concern. If its 80lbs it uses the thicker material. Mine is 40. Sit on tops are usually a bit lighter all else considered but not that much.
>>
>>2135060
Well I'm the OP and the 14'6 canoe is 80 LBS. I'm sure they're heavier by design.

Onna related note I have zero experience with this. Can I get some recommendations on comfortable reasonably priced life jackets?
>>
>>2134370
Switch out the seats for plain ones you can get your feet under and add some rigging for tying in loads and you're good. I've a 15.5 canoe which is great on the lakes for camping and fishing with the missus.

Kayaks are fun solo and day trips, I've got a sit on top and a sea kayak.
>>
>>2134870
You can get some foam pads that fit the gunnels that make it a little more secure and protect your vehicle at a sporting good store for probably $20
>>
>>2134614
Go for it I never regretted mine, super easy to store in a closet during the winter months, they do not have the speed of a hardshell kayak but they are great nonetheless
>>
>>2134686
They last years and are easy to repair, easier then fiberglass
>>
>>2134781
Pedals tend to break, read some reviews
>>
>>2134825
They are extremely stable and since you always have at least 3 chambers they are nearly unsinkable, they stay buoyant even filled with water
>>
>>2134614
sea eagle are kinda hard to manage in the wind, they ride high on the water. but if you dont have much room (like myself in a tiny apt) then something like that works well enough! i have a innova kayak, like 100 times more expensivbe than sea eagle but worth it
>>
File: 20210605_152728.jpg (2.72 MB, 4032x3024)
2.72 MB
2.72 MB JPG
>>2134392
fpbp
>>
File: 1621555635394.jpg (139 KB, 700x767)
139 KB
139 KB JPG
>>2134370
You done gone fucked up, OP. Unless you have a second person your life is gonna suck and you're going to have to boat with Hitler. Take it back and get a kayak.
>>
>>2134392
I've used both and vastly prefer canoe.
>>
Anyone here like to portage? Gonna take my canoe on a 3.5 mi portage next weekend, can't wait
>>
>>2135212
No but it lets you access places where you won't find anyone too lazy to portage
>>
>>2135220
Sup fellow portagebro
>>
File: image000000(5).jpg (329 KB, 1536x2048)
329 KB
329 KB JPG
>>
>>2134942
>Otherwise stop giving your kid sweets or raise them to listen and sit still
Not all kids are the same. Personally I wouldn't be worried about my 4yo squirming and falling off or some shit while in a kayak on my lap, but I know he would enjoy much more having his own seat. I can tell from your attitude that you have no idea how genetics works and have never had to deal with a bunch of smug-sounding parents giving clueless and totally wrong advice on how to deal with a crazy child.

In fact I knew parents who were like that themselves after two easygoing boys until the youngest showed up and was a nightmare of constant defiance and power struggles. Same diet, same environment, same parenting style, totally different personality on the child.

It's no excuse for being lazy with discipline there are certainly parents guilty of that, but more often than not people like you are just looking for reasons to pat yourself on the back for being a good parent when your good kid is mostly the result of good genes and good luck.
>>
>>2134392
this.
2 years ago wife bought me a 15' canoe for my birthday.
we used it exactly one time, despite living 2 miles away from a lake. it's a heavy bitch to move, easy to tip, etc etc.

if you're RIGHT on the water, and can just drag it in by yourself, i'm sure it's great. but large canoes are hard to transport/launch by yourself. (and being /out/ should be a solitary experience imo)

now my inflatable kayak? I can chuck that in the trunk of my car and go out on the lake solo whenever.
>>
>>2135281
>have never had to deal with a bunch of smug-sounding parents giving clueless and totally wrong advice on how to deal with a crazy child
Just ignore them or tell them to fuck off. How hard is that
>>
>>2135287
pretty sure that's what I just did
>>
>>2135135
how safe is it to take one of those fishing? or with dog on board? i worry about random punctures in the middle of the lake.
>>
File: thule-997-goalpost.jpg (29 KB, 900x600)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>2135286
are you a skeleton? they weight less than 100 lbs bro
>>2134865
yes. i have something like pic related and its goat
>>
>>2135303
no, not a skel at all. But i can't imagine dragging a canoe 50 yards from the parking area to the water would be good for it. (way too cumbersome to try to carry solo, irrespective of its weight)

that 'goalpost' thingy in your pic looks promising for transporting it though.
>>
>>2134370
I think the big problems peopel have with canoes is
>Not using a single person/solo canoe
>not paddling from a kneeling position
>Improper weight distribution

I think the only time I have truly eappreciated a kyak was comparing windy situations. Crossing an open lake with a fuck ton of wind can suck ass in a canoe whereas a sleek kyak doesn't get pushed around too much.
>>
>>2135304
itll take much more damage banging on rocks in the water than dragging it on land. you can usually put it on your back pretty easily for carrying distances too but then all your shit you have to make another trip for. i dont know what its like where you live but here you can usually find a boat ramp or something to pull your car right down to the water and unload it.
>>
>>2134370
Either works for me, but a SOT kayak is a bit more versatile in terms of the conditions you can use it in.
>>
>>2134614
These are ok if you don't mind the wind blowing you to the other side of the lake.
>>
I have a recreational kayak, I want to get rid of it and replace it with a sea kayak but they’re way more expensive, like $2000

I do most of my kayaking in the long island sound, its pretty fun
>>
File: tacoma wooden yak rack.jpg (136 KB, 640x480)
136 KB
136 KB JPG
>>2135303
you can easily make a rack with wood, hell i've even seen them done with PVC.
>>
I've got a 9' dagger sit-in, but I've been wanting a sit on top for a while. I'd like to still be able to easily move it around, throw it in the trunk and stuff so paddles drives are totally out of the question. I'm probably going to get a Tarpon if I can find one used, but I was also looking at Crescent Kayaks though they aren't as established a brand as Wilderness Systems. Any thoughts?
>>
>>2134934
I'm the anon you replied to. I agree that you can do that, but at the time I had a sea kayak and my wife was not on board with that idea. With the SOT I have now, It'd have been a non-issue. I just have them sit behind me or further up towards the bow. We are definitely at the stage where I need to get them their own boats to dick around in.
>>
>>2134968
Rotomolded sea kayaks are usually around 66lbs, SOTs can be 80+. Fiberglass are less, Kevlar are less than that. If you have a heavy yak, get one of those single axle set of wheels you can strap to the stern and roll it around like a tourist.
>>
>>2134781
I am currently in love with my Old Town PDL drive and take it out whenever I get the chance. People always mire too which is kinda cool, I get comments all the time
>>2135136
5 Year warranty with Old Town, but I've heard Hobie has some issues
>>
>>2135287
POOPCUPs
Parents Of One Perfect Child Under Preschool age.

Having another kid or two cures that. And you can have great kids that can't sit still to save their lives. That's not a bad thing if they're old enough to bob around in the drink. If they don't like ending up in the water, they'll learn to stop falling in. Problem is, if they have that much energy and curiosity, they'll be fine with falling in.
>>
>>2135304
You should look into getting the Malone cart or something like it. My fishing yak is 87 pounds or something, and I have found ways to be completely self-sufficient, from storage, to carting it to the water, to car topping it. Just takes forethought and the right equipment
>>
>>2135371
Look for a used rotomolded sea kayak. I got a P&H scorpio for 1500 a while back. I sold it to get a SOT because I needed the stability for hunting and stuff, but I miss it. That was a really nice yak.
>>
>>2135624
Hobie has known issues because they are the standard. There are more of them out there, they have been out there longer, and more people know someone directly who can tell them about it. If you buy an old hobie, you'll have trouble faster than if you buy a new hobie or new whatever.
>>
>>2135632
Is Hobie worth the money or is it just a brand
>>
>>2135617
That was kind of a rambling post, bottom line is I'm more or less sold on a Tarpon I'm wondering if the tracking and stability from the 12 footer will be significantly better than the 105 model. One of the big selling points for me on my 9' is that I can throw it in the trunk without worrying about straps or anything.
>>
>>2135639
Haven't paddled a Tarpon but I've paddled a 10' and a 12' kayak and the 12' is noticeably easier to keep in a line.
>>
>>2134370
I fell out of a kayak once and was kinda spooked by them since honestly.

I always preferred the canoe because it felt like an actual boat. That I can put things in, but I know kayaks are all different. I like fishing and feel like kayaking would make fishing awkward.
>>
>>2134703
Fren I have pick related and put in on top of my 13 civic. I got a roof rack kit from academy with ratchet straps at it works perfect
>>
>>2135659
thanks fren, still torn between this route and an inflatable but leaning towards the roof rack. nice yak
>>
>>2135633
I can't answer that from personal experience, but if I was going to pay for a pedal drive, I would probably get a mirage.
>>
>>2135228
>no lifejacket
so fucking dumb. and then im going to have to rescue your sorry ass. i see so many fuckin n00bs paddling shirtless like theyre some alpha dawg. you wont be an alpha dawg struggling to return to shore when you rolled yer boat there bud
>>
>>2135633
Its really a personal preference thing, take what you hear from people with a grain of salt since pedal yaks seem to be one of those things people get very brand attached to. Hobie and Old Town are the big players. They both make excellent choices depending what you're looking for. And you'll have some knock off brands of each (especially Old Towns bicycle pedal systems, you see some straight up clones) which are probably fine too, but I don't know as much about those.
>>
>>2135207
Whats the matter with Hitler reddit?
>>
>>2135286
what kind of inflatable do you have? interested in picking one up
>>
>>2135697
Hey internet tough guy sperg you see that water there I can swim in it all day long and have from the bridge to the pass. I can float for hours in that salt. Fuck you.
>>
>>2135697
Another thing you judgemental piece of shit how do you know im sitting on a floatation device. Suck out you bumbaclott.
>>
>>2134614
god why do normies need so much fucking shit
>>
>>2134825
>i'd get a higher end one but are these things really safe? of course i wouldn't take it anywhere crazy but still
These are the best you’ll find anywhere.
Hard to fault.
http://www.incept.co.nz/river-kayaks/k30-sally
>>
>>2136001
>incept
fuck incept, they are too elite to answer some basic questions about one of their boats and about shipping prices (since it says on their site to specifically reach out for international shipping costs) when i reached out to them multiple times. guess they only sell to new zealanders and euros
>>
>>2135871
im a former lifeguard and aquatics instructor, show some respect when speaking to me you little bitch
>>
>>2136073
Fuck off I don't need you.
>>
>>2136086
when i see you exhibiting the 4 signs of drowning and distress i will not throw the flotation ring in your general direction
>>
>>2136087
Assshole I can swim from that beach to the other and back. Saved my brother from drowning and have swam kids to shore without a vest because they broke down in their boat. I can swim I don't need you to throw anything or save me.
>>
>>2136091
you wont be swimming to shore when the shore is 8000kms across the ocean..
>>
>>2136096
You are a confirmed retard.
>>
File: WAVES.jpg (376 KB, 1012x940)
376 KB
376 KB JPG
>>2136096
>>
>>2136087
not a real lifeguard confirmed
>>
>>2136117
says the guy who couldnt even graduate from bronze med and bronze cross
>>
File: FB_IMG_1623467339722.jpg (130 KB, 1015x2015)
130 KB
130 KB JPG
>>2135207
The whole point of the purchase is to have a family activity. I have a job boat for when I want to just fish and chill, but honestly I've always enjoyed /out/ with others even if it's just my doggo.
>>
>>2135622
Rotomolds can be repaired easier too.
With strips cut off a plastic depot bucket and a soldering iron.
>>
>>2135628
>>
File: 1582795345500.jpg (84 KB, 727x470)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
>>2134900

> 60 lbs

> 2 person job

Jesus fuck our species deserves to die out.
>>
>>2136417
Yeah dude it's so much fun hauling a 60 pound 15 foot hunk of plastic long distances, true recreation
>>
>>2136492
How far do you haul it
>>
>>2135037
anyone?
>>
>>2136506
it looks in pretty rough shape dude, the keel hump at the bottom is supposed to help keeping you in a straight line so the warped part might mess with that?
>>
>>2135037
What material is it? Damaged offer half.
>>
>>2136506
I wouldn't take that shit if it was free
>>
>>2136522
>>2136510
ok thanks
>>2136511
Three Layer Polyethylene, its the old town penobscot 174 (was renamed)
>>
File: 20210612_135131.jpg (251 KB, 1182x912)
251 KB
251 KB JPG
>>2134370
get a kayou
>>
>>2135633
It's good boat for fishing if you are into that
>>
>>2135037
>bent and dented
>$500
That's worth half what he's selling it for on a good day. If there wasn't a big kayak shortage in the world for some unbeknownst reason, nobody would buy it.
>>
>>2135114
hes got a roof rack he doesnt need those
>>
>>2135304
>(way too cumbersome to try to carry solo, irrespective of its weight)
This is just wrong plenty of canoes are 40-55lbs and include a bar in the middle designed rest on your shoulder as you carry if over your head. Unless the sheer size is a problem getting it through bush, you can carry a decent canoe for miles. It's actually much easier to carry distances than a kayak of similar class (although for just dragging across a lawn or loading up on a car, the kayak's smaller size is more convenient).

The downside is that light canoes tend to be very expensive. A generic Old Towne is probably going to be 75+ lbs and pretty hard to carry regardless.
>>
>>2136914
example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAjufZo6_zw
>>
lol

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.