[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 30 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 879829.jpg (908 KB, 990x1086)
908 KB
908 KB JPG
What do you do while camping? It just feels like a very temporary extrusion from my room. I want to try survival bushcraft LARP stuff, because regular camping just feels like I walked outside, slept, then walked back to my room. I envision trying to convince a pilot to let me skydive out of their plane into the woods, then backpack back home. Sounds fun and would have some clear goals.
>>
>>2134286
>regular camping just feels like I walked outside, slept, then walked back to my room
Sounds like the issue is the actual hike itself isn't engaging. Perhaps you need to find a more visually appealing trail or a path with sights.
>>
>>2134286
>What do you do while camping?
Set up my campsite, relax, listen to nature, take photos of the sunset, try to spot wildlife, listen to bird calls, build a campfire, cook a meal.
> regular camping just feels like I walked outside, slept, then walked back to my room
That's pretty much what it is, it is up to you to make it interesting. Try new and different campsites, in different conditions, practice your cooking and firemaking skills each time, make yourself comfortable. Take lots of photos; sometimes it may not seem meaningful in the moment but when you look back at the cool pics you took you realize what an awesome experience it was.
>>
>>2134286
Hunt.
>>
>>2134286
>Perhaps you need to find a more visually appealing trail or a path with sights.
Yeah alternately set some objective that will require camping to achieve. People climbing Mount Katahdin in Maine, for example, typically camp the night before so they can get an early start as the round-trip to the summit and back is 8-12 hours. I actually don't even like camping all that much I just like going places outdoors that sometimes require it.
>>
>>2134286
I usually bring a .22 and a brick of ammo, just drink beer, enjoy the fire and plink. Fishing and hunting is also enjoyable. Also masturbation is amazing when you got great view.
>>
>>2134286
>smoke weed
>do shrooms
>sip beers
>sip whisky
>listen to music
>play the guitar/harmonica
>whittle or carve stuff with a knife
>try to identify plants and birds in the area
>try to identify rocks, minerals and crystals in the area
>go gem hunting
>go actual hunting
>go fishing
>make a fire
>look at the fire
>stoke the fire
>cook a steak on the fire
>roast some marshmallows on the fire
>look at the stars
>try to identify constellations and planets
>sit alone in silence, listening to nature
>write my thoughts
>write a book
>>
>>2134286
try backpacking instead of car camping
>>
>>2134286
>What do you do while camping?
I try to keep my kids from getting wet and muddy. That's a full-time job in itself and I usually fail anyway.
>>
File: FireSilhouette.jpg (904 KB, 3072x2304)
904 KB
904 KB JPG
>>2134286
Anon you need some hobbies you can get into while /out/. For the most part we all live lives saddled in society, so your time out should be fun, it should be a holiday away - don't give yourself chores to do, enjoy yourself!

Sketching or even painting, hunting for mushrooms or rare local plants or hell even moths who cares. Don't you remember what it was like to be a kid? Kid OP could spend days in the woods and not get bored.

Personally I do nature recordings and tography, which is fun, relaxing, but also challenging. The point is, I don't do anything /out/ that adds any stress. Just chill out and get comfy any way you like.
>>
Are you camping in a campground? Yeah that's boring as fuck. I only use campgrounds when I need a place to stay before venturing out on a hike or something epic.

When I camp in the backwoods it is never boring because there is too much work to do. It starts with cleaning up the area, setting up tent, gathering firewood, cooking.
>>
>>2134813
not to mention the 7.5 hours you have to set aside for getting drunk
>>
just bring my wilkson sword hydro groomer and shave a lot wink wink
>>
>>2134817
or acid
>>
>>2134798
keep separate outfits for in the car or tent (shorts and t shirt or whatever. Let them go fucking nuts. That's what camping IS for kids. Teach them the stuff that will hurt them; poison ivy, snakes if you have em, etc... but then let them be kids.
>>
i usually eat stuff and try to see angles that arent imminently visible from a living room
>>
>>2134885
Yeah that's fine in the summertime. But in cold weather keeping dry is a safety issue.
>>
I can’t get the camping emersion unless I’m out for 3–4 days (ideally I would do more).

The day starts by starting a fire for coffee and morning chill, maybe smoke a bowl if you’re into that. Then decide what you want to do? For me I’ve been really into getting firewood for later that night (big dry pieces that will create a big fire, so it’s rewarding) I also just got into fishing which is either fun or frustrating. I’ll pick berries in late summer. Sometimes I’ll bring an impromptu graffiti wall and a couple cans of paint but I’ll never leave a trace that I was spray painting. Shooting guns is also fun. For me camping gives me some much needed privacy and freedom of choice how I spend my day. All of that mentioned is leisure, the rest of the time is camp work
>>
>>2134286
Sketch, eat meat and potatoes, go bouldering, swimming, fishing, and drink.
>>
>>2134883
but Mark, acid's not much fun /out/ and especially not alone
>>
>>2134286
Try kayak camping. A 20km journey to an island before making camp is quite satisfying
>>
>>2134927
I’m always jealous of the kayak campers on the sandy beaches across the river.
>>
>>2134935
Well buy one then its not hard is it
>>
>>2134905
that's why you bring dry clothes. Don't teach your kids to fear the winter like all these other faggots in suburbia.
>>
>>2134882
I'm confused and afraid to ask at the same time.
>>
>>2134286
catch instathots by surprise while taking selfies and rape them
>>
>>2134328
>>2134807
>>2134927
those are all options
>>
>>2134905
how much winter camping are you doing with your kids?
>>
>>2134286
Skydiving into the wilderness and making your way back home sounds hard as fuck bro. Do it man, it will make for one hell of a story. Just make sure you have an emergency locator on you, unless you want to take extreme risk and have no backups what so ever.

Godspeed, anon.
>>
>>2134918
Best way to trip
>>
>>2134290
SoCal really can help with that, especially the Santa Ynes/ Santa Barbara area, northern Georgia can also help as well.

>>2134286
Luckily I will be able to get a house that has an acre of land to it, and will have tons of things to do! Hell, I can always try out bushcrafting anytime I want to, I mean, I got the woods to go to behind the house.
>>
>>2135435
yeah, my biggest concern with that is injuring myself landing. If I am solo, that could easily lead to my death.
>>
I can’t imagine many skydiving companies that will allow you to just jump with your camping gear into a forest. You are better off joining a smoke jumper team.
>>
>>2135949
I'm sure there are pilots who would
>>
>>2134918
>acid's not much fun /out/
???
>>
Fish, hunt, forage, cook, eat, earn xp.
Repeat next time, level up, get better.
>>
>>2134332
masturbate innawoods?
>>
>>2137743
not alone anyway
>>
File: d-b-cooper-escape.jpg (19 KB, 768x300)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>2134286

>I want to larp as D.B. Cooper

Based

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.