[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: the lighthouse.jpg (43 KB, 663x416)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
what do you do? do you like it? any interesting stories?
>t. garden center employee
i mostly water plants, stock plant flats, check out customers, occasionally use the forklift, unload trucks, go on mulch/plant deliveries. worked there for two years
>do you like it?
somewhat, but pay is shit
>any interesting stories?
my area is a "mixing pot" aka shithole so a lot of pajeets and pajeetas
>last year
>smelly persian woman comes up to me
>mumbles something through mask
>ask her to repeat
>"do u are having any gidups plants?"
>what
>"gidups plants"
>took me four times to understand she was looking for "grape plants"
i hate it here
>>
>>2134279
i remember a mussie cashier once asked me for my "rewards card" and it sounded so much like "my wife's card" that i was too dense to realize what she said even after other cashiers asking me the same question on other days.
>>
>>2134279
>i hate it here

And yet you stay. You are a fascinating study in inertia and lack of get up and go
>>
Crop Inspector

It’s a great job and pays well because I live in Timbuktu and there’s zero competition for any job
>>
>what do you do?
Process Engineer at a major semiconductor manufacturer

>do you like it?
It pays really well for someone with my level of education and I get to work from home a lot. Working in the factory is the least /out/ experience you could have as a human tho. Miles and miles of robots and automated machines and people in bunny suits making chips.

If you fart inside one of the clean room suits you can direct it up your sleeve and "shoot" it in someones face.
>>
>>2134455
What level of education do you even have and what is the degree in?
>>
>>2134485
BA in Chemistry
>>
>what do you do?
Customer service senior manager. For an outdoor recreation retailer.
>do you like it?
I like the work myself. Work remote talk with hundreds of people across North America. But get paid shit and my boss is incompetent and lazy.
Just people. People are weird and a lot of people aren’t driven to work remote.
>>
File: 1.jpg (2.6 MB, 4032x3024)
2.6 MB
2.6 MB JPG
>>2134279
>what do you do?
Farmer

>do you like it?
Yes, as I am a newer generation Im currently honing everything I do on a yearly basis, so it hasnt gotten boring.

Not a story but Im allergic to the pollen of most things we farm so right now work is fucking horrible
>>
>>2134279
what do you do? do you like it? any interesting stories?
>t. NeET

>do you like it?
Yes
I walk or bike around scaring females with my massive menacing presence last year an old hag fell over into a pile of boulders she got so scared when she saw me biking towards her

Last month an old crone got scared of me at the track I saw her taking video of me with her phone. The next day she stopped on the track and did the same thing as I passed by and glared at her, I haven't seen her since I scared the cunt off hopefully she gets raped or breaks her hip if she can't exercise
>>
>>2134957
How'd you get started, anon? Did you buy the land? What do you farm?
>>
>>2134485
>>2134724
*is what I have, most people that get hired have a BA in one of the major engineering degrees (chemical/mechanical/electrical)
>>
>>2134279
i dont work outside anymore but any time im hiking or in the park people seem to think im a ranger because theyll quickly leash up their dog as im coming nearby, or hide their beers lol
>>
>>2134455
Hi Tim! I hope Cali is treating you well!
>>
>>2135284
>semiconductor manufacturer
>in Cali
Maybe in like 1985
>>
>>2134279
>What do you do
Construction, gonna be my first year as a wildland firefighter.

>Do you like it
Today is my first day doing project work digging a fire line on private land. We will have to see. Somewhat excited to spike out and fight fire for 2-3 weeks at a time innawoods. Cutting down trees, diggin line. It'll be cool to get paid to go to almost every state out west. The company I work for is based out of Montana and we do a lot of work in Oregon.
>>
>what do you do
I am Florida kiko goat rancher.
>do you like it
Yes I have owned most livestock at one point or another goats have been the most fun and profitable.
>any interesting stories
Not that would type up well, but I do have a ton of goat photos!
>pic related
>>
>>2135629
>>
>>2135629
tell us a story about kids getting up to mischief.
>>
>>2135631
>>
>>2135634
Please see>>2135635
where they started playing on my burn pile. They are always just running around being silly.
>>
>>2135634
I also have one Nannie Goat named Xena because she is so mean. She will chase vultures and other animals. My Billy goat is a total bro though.
>side profile of xena
>>
what do you do?
Field Ecologist for part of the last remaining tall grass prairie in the US
do you like it?
Yeah its great
any interesting stories?
IDK "wild" bison are cool up close. prescribed burning is fun. Its cool to see a lot of diversity in plants
>>
>>2135636
friggin cute
>>
>>2135638
Do you feel bad when you have to slaughter
>>
>>2135683
It depends to be honest. I don’t have a slaughter facility on farm, so that I don’t have to deal with other’s animals once they buy them. I sell my females as seed stock to other farms, and some of the males if they are of quality shape and color. It is harder if it’s one of the billies that are super friendly and I know they are going to slaughter. I use sale barns if I have too many boys and that makes it a little easier because I can just drop them off and leave. I honestly feel worse when I have a kid die from getting sick it doesn’t happen often, but it just hits you in the feels.
>>
>>2135662
you just got an m.a or phd?
>>
I work as a forest technician, going out to different forest properties and cruising timber. Pic is refilling paint cans from a marking job we did for a timber sale
>>
>>2135825
did you clean up the paint you spilled on those leaves?
>>
I am working on a trail crew for the next 5 months. Super rewarding, occasionally miserable but crew mates are great and I get to be outside in the mountains all day every day.

Only downside is I work for a conservation corps organization so I am paid very poorly compared to professional crews
>>
>>2134279
I'm a NEET and can't seem to find a way to break the cycle. 6 years of this life goddamn
>>
>>2135904
Start a goat ranch that’s what I did. If you can’t afford land there is plenty of farms begging for people to lease them. This is a sample budget on how to get started. I don’t want to hear you complain or make excuses. You want a way out here it is. It doesn’t take as much equipment as cattle and easier to handle. Most people have a job as well and use goats as supplemental income.
https://sfyl.ifas.ufl.edu/duval/agriculture-and-agribusiness-management/livestock-and-poultry/goats/enterprise-budgets-for-meat-goats---25-does/
>>
>>2134957
Try taking emergen-c everyday
>>
>>2134279
Regrettably nothing /out/ related. I work as a diplomatic security for one of the Gulf state embassies. I really like it, since 90% of times I'm doing absolutely nothing other than shitposting, reading, watching movies and playing older vidya on my laptop. And those few times I do get out of embassy with someone, it's usually being with them in some nice place, eating good food and checking out qt female personal assistants.
Money could be better, hours but are still more than enough for my needs. Hours are good, but can suck bad when something big happens. If the current staff likes you, you can get offered to go with them to some other country when their rotation is up. It's good money, nice experience, but generally kinda taxing on you.
>stories
Some. Examples, can provide greentexts:
>dealing with some schizo who tried attacking one of the attachés with an umbrella
>going to Kenya for a three months and finding out how Tinder feels for average girl
>one of the employees trying to convert me to Islam
>>
>>2136003
Not the anon you replied, but thank you for posting this holy shit
>>
>>2136003
Do you have any more info?
>>
>>2134279
I used to be a charters assistant in Alaska, basically did all the field dressing when the client killed something, watched camp at night, would stay nearby campers in bear territory, clean shit up, flirt with cute tourist girls, got to use high end fishing gear and hunting equipment in my free time

Left to move to Missouri for my shitty ex wife and kids I only see around Christmas that act like it's torture to be away from mom for half a day, slave away in a soul crushing factory now but I'm a cunt hair away from just moving back to Alaska
>>
>>2136307
>but I'm a cunt hair away from just moving back to Alaska
You gonna make it brother.
>>
>>2136307
I used to cook for remote lodges in Alaska. It was cool stuff. It was also difficult as fuck working with so many escapists. Could never bag working for a hunting/fishing lodge, though. Go back, it's waiting for you.
>>
>>2134279
>park bum
>wouldn't do anything else
>I've seen many a Brit stick their hands in Yellowstone geysers resulting in terrible burns
>sometimes they do this right next to the signs telling them not to do this
>>
>>2136300
>Yea man if you have any questions ask, but here is OSU goat boot camp YouTube channel. A lot of useful how to goat stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/user/OSUMeatGoat
>The second link is a page from Wild Onion Ranch in Texas this lady is has written a lot of good articles on goat health and nutrition and will save thousands in vet bills for you.
https://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/articlesMain.html
>>
>>2136393
>>2136003
Based. The Jew fears the outdoor goat rancher.
>>
>>2136402
or even better, the chad alpaca-rearing farmer
>>
>>2134455
You sound familiar but probably not.
I've worked at Intel Chandler and Global Fab8 in Malta NY and been to about 20 other places.
I'm now an Start-up engineer for a semiconductor OEM, I love it, the pay is damn good. I don't even have an associates degree but I make $140k-$160k per year.

Interesting stories out the ass too, mostly passed on from person to person but I've seen a house chilled water line that was probably 50cm in diameter flooding the subfab. I've seen the process section of a given tool combust because it was exposed to atmosphere before a plasma clean. Lost of stuff like that. I've worked at places people have lost body parts at, mostly just dropping stuff on a toe or finger. Hear all the stories about people getting fucked up by their machines. A guy got his face lit on fire with a RTA tool he took out of safety mode with the lid open to check some bulbs..... Stuff like that. Also people fuck in the floor and in the walls.
>>
>>2136402
Lol I am actually about to sell a goat to a Jew. I live in North Florida, so when people ask who eats goat meat (the average white American doesn’t) I tell them I sell to the people democrats are trying to replace us with.
>>
>>2136487
I sure as fuck hope you put it out of misery, anon.
>>
>What do you do?
Forest Janny
>Do you like it?
I love it and very little of it feels like work. very fulfilling work and you occasionally save lives, but the pay is low and it is only seasonal
>Any interesting stories
lots. i saw a woman just straight pissing on the trail the other day.
>>
>>2136419
cant forget about the disgruntled wagie shitting in the fab somewhere. last job someone tool a shit in the furnace.
>>
>>2136393
>if you have questions ask
what's the initial investment on something like this?
And what are the other questions I should be wanting to ask?
>>
>>2136419
>>2136675
>You sound familiar but probably not.
Unlikely, you seem very experienced and I'm new

>I've worked at Intel Chandler and Global Fab8 in Malta NY and been to about 20 other places.
>I'm now an Start-up engineer for a semiconductor OEM, I love it, the pay is damn good. I don't even have an associates degree but I make $140k-$160k per year.

That's awesome, I've only been in the industry a couple of years, hoping to do something similar, quit my PhD to come work in Chandler Intel.

Haven't seen too much safety stories but the amount of poop/peeing on the fab floor is much greater than most would think. There's a phantom pisser in the New Mexico fab that pisses in clean room gloves and then ties them up like water balloons before tossing them on top of tools. Lots of young contract workers doing drugs and having sex on the floor as well. A few guys taking naps in the crawl spaces too.
>>
>>2134279
Got my BS in forestry in 90’s, never made a lot, but enough. Never have worked in doors full time. There’s always some office work and meetings and shit, but mostly out alone. Problem is any promotion is to management which is in doors... maybe in ten years when I’m 60
>>
File: 1622239867819.jpg (122 KB, 734x734)
122 KB
122 KB JPG
Anyone know what jobs I could get with insects/arachnids without going to college?
>>
>>2136845
Go to college if interested in hard science. No matter how well self taught you are they don’t care without the diploma
>>
>>2136709
Depends if you are going to own or lease land. Starting out I bought my goats from random farms across Alabama, Georgia and Florida. I wouldn’t spend more than $200 on a goat, and I was trying for $150
or less. So I spend just under $7k stocking with a full herd mostly 3 month doe kids and about 15 adults. fencing can vary a lot as well, but if you learn to run your own fence save thousands. Also my county agricultural extension pays for 75% of interior fencing.
> I bought 100 acres and a house built in 84, but the land had been a working farm since ‘65. I have spent about 450k on everything.
>>
>>2136919
Also I bought the land in 2017 for land prices
>>
>>2136844
I'm getting a degree in forestry too. can you tell me more specifically what you do?
>>
>>2136321
it's fairly easy to get a job with them, most professional hunters are actually hurting to find someone to help since it requires up to half a month in the woods

generally you'll do a shitty year with low pay then ask for a raise, if they don't wanna give it to you then you've got a years worth of experience to show to other professionals and if they don't like you then you can get a license to be a hunter yourself
you don't even need to hunt, you can just do shit like kayaking and guiding since Alaska doesn't really let tourists just wander out into the bush alone and they more or less are forced to pay someone to accompany them, it's not a bad deal really
>>
>>2136845
Go to college. It's useless and you won't learn anything you couldn't learn self-taught but they only care for the piece of paper saying you sit through lessons and took quizzes so go to college
>>
>>2134279
That movie was great
>>
Have a business degree, what are masters for unrelated undergrads I can do that would have me work with nature?
>>
I work security on a university campus so I guess im /out/ most of the time. In terms of stories theres a few, some kid a few months threw a mini fridge 3 stories down a stairwell almost killing somebody. A lot of dumb rich kids killing themselves.
>>
File: Trollface_non-free.png (81 KB, 347x288)
81 KB
81 KB PNG
>>2134971
El ogro
>>
>>2136675
I've never head if someone shitting in a tool but in Malta they found a desiccated shit under the RMF and just left it there. Most people who are disgruntled just don't work hard in my experience. They take long breaks, take a long time to set up to do work, take a long time to do work, skip steps they think they can get away with, don't do tedious tasks like database entries etc. Oh, also they steal if they can. Multiple contractors were removed from site for stealing shit from the cafe.

I was just in Chandler a month or so ago, CH8 is where I was upgrading a tool. With that much info and an in at the Intel Chandler site you could probably get a list of <50 people that I'm on.

Semiconductor is great if you can enjoy working on something for a while to finally get it working. All the success you have comes after an extended period of time and sometimes you have to stop and scrap everything you've been working on and try a different approach. If you are the type that needs to be right the first time, semiconductor will break you.
>>
>>2138377
>just dont work hard
yup that is accurate for most technicians and even process engineers i have worked with. esp when they get fucked with a bad raise(2-3%) or no promo.
>if you can enjoy working on something for a while to finally get it working
very true. pay is never worth it tho based on value provided to company/pay received. especially to be a manager over those POS tools. i can go into more detail if any anons still care to know more, been a semis PE for a few years
>>
>>2134957
finland?
>>
I'm a DJ for an outdoor wedding venue. It's not as cool as it sounds, I pretty much just talk to the couple and find out what they want to hear, if they have a dance or whatever then we plan and coordinate. Most of the time I just stand in the party hall next to my equipment and let the playlist go. sometimes I take requests. Best story I have is hitting it off with a groom one time with a similar taste in music as me, he smoked a joint with me and asked if I'd like to be a groomsman. So I got paid to party at that event, ended up fucking some older slampig that was part of one of their families, not sure.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.