[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 357532368999764225.png (69 KB, 220x363)
69 KB
69 KB PNG
i want to explore some mines is there anything important to know? how to get in when the main entery is closed?
>>
>>2123261
Please learn some basic safety info on underground mines. Stay out of coal mines in general, their death traps more than any other mine due to toxic atmosphere replacing gases and poor ground stability.

Next, in general watch for mines with poor or no air flow coming out of the portal, this means that air inside is likely stagnant. Watch for stagnant water as well, gases can be trapped in mud under the water and cause you to pass out later when you come back out. Watch for false floors over cavities or stopes, look out for failed supports etc.

In general just stay the fuck out of mines unless your trained to do it or work in them.
>>
>>2123261
Abandoned mines are death traps and if you dont know what your doing you will get yourself killed. Just watch Frank on Exploring Abandoned Mines on Youtube.
>>
anything important to know?
Don't fucking do it, this post is as stupid as asking, hey guys I want to go pet wild bears, anything important to know?
>>
File: IMG_20200919_145305.jpg (1.46 MB, 4608x2304)
1.46 MB
1.46 MB JPG
>>2123261
don't be dumb. Bring multiple flash lights and backup batteries, Some food and tell some one where you are going and how long you will be gone.
>>
>>2123261
Is there even something that can be found? I would expect trash, rusty equipment, water and dead ends
>>
File: 1607884407640.jpg (2.04 MB, 2448x3264)
2.04 MB
2.04 MB JPG
>>2123736
You can find interesting geological features, old explosives, tools, clothing, whatever. Pic related isn't my picture, but one from the mine exploring anon that posts here occasionally.
>>
>>2123261
What are you looking for specifically? What kind of gear do you have? What area are you in?
>>
>>2123272
whats a good way to identify and handle false floors?

>>2124351
i am from germany so i doubt someone from this board can give me tips about mines specificly in germany but most mines which are on my radar are iron and silver mines. i have some headlights, powerbank, 4 gas meter, good shoes, anything else which is important or useful?

if someone here already explored a mine i would be glad if they tell us about their experience.
>>
>>2125257
you honestly cant tell most of the time, tell tail give aways though would be "winces" or other workings branching off a main working with exposed wood on the ground.

as for your particular mines, research the rock type they were working in. in general focus on the top post here, just stay the fuck out of mines in general.

gear, hip waders, heavy rubber boots, knee pads, ropes and climbing gear / training. multiple flashlights is a must, hard hat too.
>>
Unless you have a death wish stay away.
>>
>>2125257
>i have some headlights, powerbank, 4 gas meter, good shoes, anything else which is important or useful?
Make sure your gas meter is properly calibrated. Bring a minimum of three headlamps, check the batteries every single time before you go, spare flashlights. Honestly, below ground rappelling and belaying aren't something you should just do on the fly. Do you have a harness, rope, belaying setup, etc? You should know how to properly use all of that, and have the necessary gear before you go. Like the other anon said: get a hard hat too. Or a spelunking helmet. If you intend to go far, throw down glow sticks at every intersection you cross. If you see a cave-in picket, do not crawl over it/passed it. Don't crawl into any openings, it's a good way to go for a ride and fall down into an area you just can't climb out of. If an area is flooded, do not swim into it, wade into it, or try to cross it. The water could be contaminated, it could be deeper than you think, who knows.

I've had buddies that have done all of these things, but they're extremely lucky. This is a good way to accidentally get yourself killed. Take it seriously.
>>
I know exactly how you will die OP.
>not well
>>
>>2126098
OP does seem a little eager to die. Mine hazards are no joke.
>>
>>2123261
Did you died?
>>
File: 1612103128976.gif (172 KB, 400x400)
172 KB
172 KB GIF
>>2123273
>that one TVR Exploring video in the abandoned soviet silver(?) mine where he hears a scream come from the depths
>how fucking quickly he nopes out of there
>no other footprints in the snow in/around the entrance
>he showed the audio to dozens of abandoned mine experts and none of them had heard anything like it before
>>
>>2127861
I did a lot of hiking around Yokshire and Cumbria which have a ton of abandoned mines. One mountain, the Old Man of Coniston has was heavily mined and has a bunch of unmarked mine shafts dotted on the slopes. Every so often some retard will stray from the routes and fall down one. Some are maybe 30-40ft so youll probably break your leg but some are hundreds of meters deep. Anyway while hiking this happened and some zoomer fell down and survived somehow. He was 100ft down and the rescue managed to pull him out. He said later he heard voices down there from in the mines. Mightve been concussion but its been mined since the 1200s so I wouldnt be suprised if those copper and slate mines were extremely haunted.
>>
>>2127873
>haunted
>>
>>2127904
Those mines are fucked, I have some /x/ tier stories about mines from there and others Ive seen or from stories Ive heard. Still exploring mines is retarded unless you have experienced, buddies, kit and a death wish.
>>
>>2127908
>have some /x/ tier stories about mines from there
Right then. Let's hear it.
>>
>>2127918
>be me and my buddy
>hiking up in yorkshire dales
>going round a trail near some slate mines
>also near it was an old borstal for young criminals
>get to the entrance to one of the mines
>decide to go poking round the entrance
>some old beer cans and trash
>hear noises from inside, not much probably some rocks or small animals
>go a bit deeper, see ir theres anything cool knocking around
>still not far in but already pitch black
>kind of dark that seems to absorb the light from our torches
>hear more noises, keep checking the roof and supports
>something near
>a ball rolls towards us
>"throw it back mister"
>absolutely nope the fuck out of there
>never run that hard in my life
>we stop and just look at each other
>go home
>didnt sleep right for 2-3 days after
>>
>>2127967
I'm disappointed that I can only post >>2127904 once per thread. You got spooked by a homeless person.
>>
>>2123261
I can't believe that nobody told you to also bring a ball of string so you don't get lost.
>>
>>2128225
You know it's a lot easier to bring a krylon can or glow sticks right?
>>
>>2128233
How? If you leave one at every turn your carrying to much weigh on something that will be useless in a day.
>>
>>2128233
What if other numskull explorers used spray paint, how will they find your body then. It's easier to follow string then paint in the dark.
>>
>>2127861
i am pretty sure that was water falling, but there is no way to know for sure, you do hear / see some really odd shit in some abandoned mines.
>>
>>2128238
How windy are the mines you're exploring? I've gone down several levels in one I'd consider to be complex and it wasn't loaded with corners and turns everywhere.

>>2128243
The weirdest is the "breathing" effect.
>>
File: cavebones7.jpg (373 KB, 700x525)
373 KB
373 KB JPG
>>2128244
I'm more of a cave dude than a mine dude. Grand canyon cave systems.
>>
>>2128244
strangest shit ive ever seen while down in mines were the "Tommy knocker" lights. Their little blue or white lights that appear sometimes in mines, if you talk to older miners many have heard or seen them. They seem to float at head height, and often have a specific "Feeling" that accompanies them. Its unnerving seeing this bright light go by in a drift thinking its one of your buddies, but its not.

The breathing effect is odd too, same goes for the noises ground makes in general. That sound of a whole back coming down moments before it falls is no fun at all.
>>
>>2128269
you reckon they're similar to the lights people see in remote parts of the desert, like the Min Min lights?
>>
>>2129185
No.
>>
>>2129185
possibly, it needs to be investigated though. A few ideas i ve read suggest its to do with the piezoelectric properties of quartz.
>>
Mines are perfectly safe and often contain treasure. I wouldn't worry about it.
>>
Did OP fucking die?
>>
>>2123261
Don't forget a fucking compass.
>>
>>2131149
Lol why? That doesn't really sound all that useful underground.
>>
>>2130911
I'm assuming OP didn't follow the advice in this thread and actually died in a mine.
>>
>>2125257
Wo gibt es denn hier was interessantes ich dachte die machen immer alles zu
>>
File: a33.png (32 KB, 558x614)
32 KB
32 KB PNG
>>2128240
How do you manage to tie your shoes in the morning?
>>
>>2127861

Just stay the fuck away from these places.

Might not like what you find....

And what you find REALLY won't like that you found it.
>>
>>2135536
w-what's down there
>>
File: 1582136980046.jpg (39 KB, 600x402)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>>2135540
>>
File: 1593470672405.png (2.68 MB, 1754x964)
2.68 MB
2.68 MB PNG
>>2135541
>>
File: 1619547951934.png (669 KB, 640x480)
669 KB
669 KB PNG
>>2135543
>>
>>2135543
>Population density
>>
>>2135642
thank you. plot any dataset of discoveries and you just end up with a map of highways, as most things are found thru construction. you have to weight against population
>>
>>2128244
>>2128269
What's the breathing effect?
>>
>>2123261
Be careful with iron mines. Rust is created from oxygen which you would otherwise use to breath. Can lead to some dangerous situations. If you get clumsy or start finding things funnier, panic
>>
>>2138103
>If you get clumsy or start finding things funnier, panic
Bruh.
>>
>>2129421
Translucent-white hands typed this post.
>>
>>2139868
>bumping an already dead thread with a reply to a shitpost

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.