[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Because there wasn't one.

Is it necessary to boil water if I put two drops of bleach per liter, let it sit, then filter it? I know tons of people drink straight from the filter with no boiling or anything, but I am leery.
>>
>>2115291
I'm sorry to inform you that you are retarded
you only need to boil OR bleach OR filter
I only filter
>>
>>2115291
Do you live in one of the shithole countries? Is there raw sewage upstream from where you plan to drink from? The only reason to boil or bleach water is to kill viruses. Filters will remove protozoa and bacteria. Be aware that bleach, and other chemical methods, take a very long time in cold water, and the colder it is, the longer it takes
>>
>>2115297
This. Depending on conditions, (water quality, fuel remaining), I will typically opt for boiling only because I'm cooking anyway and the water is top notch where I live. If I'm going to set up a base camp, I bring a filter and use that. I carry aquamira as a backup because its super light, but have only ever used it once.
>>
>>2115291
You could just use a primary filter like a handkerchief to move the water from the stream to your pot, then boil it or add chems
Don't cheap out on it but also don't over think it
>>
File: 20210507152339_IMG_1709_2.jpg (2.49 MB, 3000x2000)
2.49 MB
2.49 MB JPG
How hazardous is under snow water flow? I was out hiking a few weeks ago and came across a decent amount of water flowing under a snow field I had to cross (pic related) and I wasn't sure if I should or not wound up just heading back since I didn't have much time left anyway but was wondering if I was just being overly cautious.
>>
File: 20210507153318_IMG_1725_3.jpg (1.42 MB, 3000x1685)
1.42 MB
1.42 MB JPG
>>2115516
Also, it doesn't come across very well in the pic but the snow field was pretty steep too and there was more water flowing than what you can see from the pic.
>>
Any recommendations on good coolers?
>>
>>2115516
Depends if its fresh snow melt, or if it's a permanent water source
Fresh water from melted snow is pretty damn safe, but not 100%, you can definitely get worms from snow
I live in Scandinavia and i will drink anything that's clear and not from a lake without any boiling or filtering, but we don't have any major waterborne illnesses
>>
>>2115291

if you have the option to i always filter using some sort of cloth or whatever to get the larger parts out then boil then filter using a sawyer just to be safe.
ive also drank probably like 5000 litres at this point out of my sawyer mini from straight from rivers and some lakes and am yet to get sick so it is what it is.

depends on the body of water
>>
What kind of pack/size do you get for day hikes and sleepovers, in moderate climate (15-20°C so no need to pack a lot), and what do you pack en it that justifies the size?
>>
File: 1112970005.jpg (27 KB, 298x440)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
>>2115845
For something suitable for day hikes or overnighter you probably want something in the 30-40 L range. I use an osprey talon 33 its small enough to use as a day pack and for warm weather can fit enough for 3 days in it.
>>
>>2115710
Canyon coolers
>>
File: 20200905_145750.jpg (4.78 MB, 4624x2604)
4.78 MB
4.78 MB JPG
>>2115516
depending on the terrain the inside might be hollowed out and thus prone to collapsing
>>
>>2115291
test
>>
Is the gaia gps premium worth the 40 bucks a year?
>>
>>2115291
You can sand filter water and then let it sit in a clear container in sunlight for 5 minutes and be good.
Unless you have a shitty immune system water has many easy ways to clear it.
>>
>>2115297
Wrong. Standard .1 micron filters do NOT filter out viruses. You need .01 micron, which is pricey. Also Iodine can't kill everything. I use both, because a .1 micron and iodine kills everything out there. Now, avoiding chemical pollution... that's another story. Don't drink water near farms if you can avoid it.
>>
>>2115959
>>2115291

Just stay home bro. The world is too dangerous for you.
>>
>>2115912
No, but alltrails pro is and it is only 30 a year.
>>
>>2115912
You can easily find a coupon for 20% off your sub cost.
>>2115959
Just get a grayl geopress.
>>
>>2115291
Why not just straight bleach?
>>
>>2115291
I drink straight from the water source. Modern humans are fragile flowers. If you've been drinking from stagnant pothole puddles since you were a toddler, you have the proper gut bacteria to not get sick if you accidentally inject a frog turd from a nice clear river.
>>
>>2115864
That is my hole.
It was made for me.
>>
Bleach kills viruses if you let it sit for like 10 minutes, and your filter will keep the bacteria and parasites out. As others have said just avoid water you think might have chemicals because I doubt you're bringing a way to distill water. Purifying and filtering is totally safe, that's how people go stoveless.
>>
Anyone ever use a poncho tarp as their only shelter? Like the many surplus ones or an ultralight memey one
Seems very comfy and I've only ever tent camped
>>
>>2115852
>osprey talon 33
Hey! We're pack brothers!
Can verify use case durations.
>>
>>2116087
>poncho tarp as their only shelter
3 season, yes
hammock and poncho all the way
winter? no
>>
>>2116346
bivy and tarp is fine in winter
>>
>>2116381
>bivy and tarp is fine in winter
Agreed.
But I know I'm going to pack heavier in winter anyway. So I just pulk the small tent.
>>
>>2115710
RTIC
>>
>>2116085
You need to consider the strength of the bleach : 8% needs 3drops per liter, cheap Canadian bleach is 2.4% so you'll need 10 drops, and yes letting it steeps for 12 minutes, a table spoon of 8% in 250 mil of water is a great antiseptic for wounds also, bleach evaporates contrary to iodine so treated water does not taste as bad
>>
>>2115291
Would be better to filter then bleach.
>>
>>2115301
>Be aware that bleach, and other chemical methods, take a very long time in cold water, and the colder it is, the longer it takes
Literally not the case with bleach.
>>
is it worth getting a lightweight, foldable handsaw for backpacking? Or are these just a meme?
>>
File: 605d5e94f4520.gif (1.68 MB, 640x455)
1.68 MB
1.68 MB GIF
>>2115291
*nuck* *nuck* *nuck* *slurp* *nuck* *nuck* *nuck*
>>
>>2119131
Have you ever been on an /out/ing and thought to yourself "I wish I had a small saw right now"? If yes then go for it, if you've never thought this while out then it's a meme.
>>
>>2119131
https://youtu.be/GTejazCPank
>>
>>2119180
sometimes but I usually there are enough sticks just laying around to use where I go that a saw isnt exactly necessary. Blame california for not doing any controlled burns or anything. Theres fuel everywhere
>>
>>2118907
Pic related is from the CDC, you double the dosage because it doesn’t work as fast when water is cold.
>>
>>2119131
Not once on a hike have i ever needed a saw, if you do trails you wont need one.

If you plan on being a larper and you want to sit in mud for three days while you make a shitty stool go nuts waste your money
>>
>>2115291
look at you retards drinking bleach, i bet you voted for trump
>>
>>2119482
Nah you cuck, trumptard inject bleach and shove UV lights up their added, get your shit straight faggot
>>
File: 1485827688254.jpg (132 KB, 1250x703)
132 KB
132 KB JPG
I've been commenting here for two years working on getting into better and better shape and finally able to go on a back packing trip. Outside of hiking boots and comfy wool socks and a rain jacket, I have zero fucking gear but a budget of $1k or so to spend during REI's bullshit sale.

Where do I even start on finding whats the best option for me? I live in the PNW. I hike 2-3 times a week and can probably do a good 10 or so miles without being exhausted. Do I go for a 2p tent? How many liters in a backpack is a good amount? So fucking lost. Should this be its own thread?
>>
>>2119608
The loadout thread >>2101601 might be a good place to browse to get a general idea, as for specifics it really depends on how long you plan on staying out.
>>
Oregon or western discord?
>>
I'm black. Why do people look at me funny when I play Meek Mill on my Bluetooth speaker? Being loud is part of my culture and I'm afraid of literally the KKK in the woods.
>>
>>2120718
I do not know this meek mill.
>>
What the fuck happened to matches? I’m a boomer looking to get back into backpacking after 15 years. I can’t figure out what matches to use. I used to take a bunch of Strike anywheres in a canister, but those seem to be gone and there’s all these queer storm matches that get shit reviews. Should I just take a box of wooden matches and a zippo in a ziploc bag?
>>
>>2121226
BIC mini lighters, two of them, one in your cool kit, one on you
>>
>>2121226
You can still get strike anywhere matches. They’re not as good now though as they used to be.
>>
What do you guys usually pack for a day hike?
>>
>>2121321
If you’re going somewhere well marked you need literally nothing besides water and appropriate clothing. I personally always carry a small camera, knife, map, compass, lighter, and MINIMAL first aid. A lunch and snacks can be nice. If you’re going somewhere with hairier weather (due to season or location) obviously plan ahead. Rain jacket or fleece, spare socks in a ziploc. But really all you need is water for your first hike. Do it.
>>
>>2115721
Im coming to poop in your streams rn.
>>
How in shape do you need to be in order carry enough stuff to camp a few miles from a car? I’ve always just parked pretty close to a vehicle.
>>
>>2121393
Depends on your gear and conditions but pretty minimal. If you’re doing one person one night you don’t need more than a large day pack: tent, sleep system, food.
>>
>>2121405
It almost seems like water is going to be the heaviest and most cumbersome thing. I’d try to pick somewhere with some kind of water so i can use a filter but without that seems like it would be fairly heafty
>>
Thinking about buying a lamp for my chilis.
Do several low lumene lamps make up for a 1000 lumene lamp?
>>
>>2120718
Around blacks never relax
>>
>>2119131
I often bring one but I already had it for pruning my hedges and I'm not remotely UL.
>>
>>2121226
Diamond is the only company still making Strike Anywheres and they're shit. Everyone else stopped making them because they're dangerous and thus expensive to transport. They're fairly easy to DIY though. I dip mine in wax to make sure they don't go off until I want them to.
>>
Okay, gonna be camping in the desert for the first time ever and I dont know what tent to bring of the ones I have.
I expect it to be very hot during the day and kinda coolerish at night, but it should also be pretty windy from time to time too.
The my tent choices are between a nemo dagger and a slingfin crossbow 4 season.
I'm kind of leaning more towards the latter of the two as it has more ability to resist wind but would like input.
I will not have to take them far as the purpose of the trip is to take rocks and minerals from federal land.
>>
>>2121270
>BIC mini lighters
Might not be the best advice for a boomer. Any cheap disposable lighter but especially the minis can be difficult to use when you have arthritis.
>>
are hydration packs worth it?
>>
>>2121575
For cycling, absolutely yes.
For backpacking, probably, although you can do fine with just canteens.
If you're in a campground with a well 200 yards away, just bring a 5 gallon jerry can.
>>
>>2121406
2.2 pounds per liter. Do it and you'll learn how much water you need
>>
File: 20210514_161156.jpg (1.96 MB, 2560x1440)
1.96 MB
1.96 MB JPG
>>2115961
>Just drink the pond water bro its safe
>giardia? Is that an std?
>>
>>2115994
Good idea, looks like a nice product. Do you have one? If so, how many liters has it lasted you?
>>
>>2116346
>hammock and poncho all the way
winter?
>yes
>>
>>2121880
I have one and it works fine, a little heavy but it gives me peace of mind and filters water really well.
The filters are rated for 250 liters or something and replacements are 29 dollars.
>>
>>2121882
I want one of these unreasonably badly.
>>
>>2121882
that model looks uncomfortably embarrassed wearing that.
>>
>>2121989
Then get one you lazy consumer with mediocre dreams
>>
>>2121504
I am a boomer for christsake's
>>
>>2122061
Well no offense intended, my dad is a boomer too and this specific issue has come up.
>>
>>2121504
Thanks for the lol. I’m not that old.

>>2121274
>>2121502
Yeah that’s what I meant. Limited availability and inferior quality.

>>2121270
Sounds like lighters are the way to go. I have a zippo but I think a bic mini would be *puts on sunglasses* a little lighter.

>>2115959
>>2115291
>>2115724
>>2121872
The advice on this issue ITT has been good.
FWIW I’ve always been fine just filtering through a bandanna for large particles and then using bleach or iodine, but I’ve generally been in places with clean water and not near major campsites. Technically it’s true that most filters and most chemicals don’t kill everything by themselves so you need both or boiling. And of course all this ignores chemical contamination.
>>
>>2122046
okay :(
>>
>>2122148
Is there anything you can do about chemicals besides just not drink it?
>>
>>2122236
As far as I’m aware you generally need to either distill it or use hardcore equipment like reverse osmosis machines. Molecules are like .001 microns (literally), which is absurdly small. And obviously you can’t kill them.

But I don’t know whether a carbon/charcoal based filter like a brita might do the trick because it works by absorbing and not just filtering. If you’re worried that might be something to look into.
>>
>>2122236
Grayl Geopress
>>
>>2115291
>mmmmmm
>filtered piss
>>
How is this for a first timer?

https://www.rei.com/lists/380640856
>>
>>2115516
that's what trekking poles are for anon, there's a reason most serious winter hikers use them
>>
File: 1557753.png (98 KB, 872x623)
98 KB
98 KB PNG
>>2122348
pretty fucking gay

read pic related and start by going outside instead of dropping $900 on gear on a ""hobby"" you might not even enjoy
>>
>>2122380
I hike every single weekend you retard, just have not stayed the night out yet
>>
>>2122348
If you plan on eating from the pot you may want a longer spoon thing.
>>
>>2122382
>just have not stayed the night out yet

nor have you:
>wore bug spray
>navigated off trail
>night hiked
>filtered your own water
>cooked innawoods
>started a fire

or you wouldn't need those on your list, would you? Paved state park trails don't count as "hiking" btw
>>
>>2122391
>>2122380
Is this dude linking his own screencap? check out the writing style in pic and his post lmao
>>
>>2122391
Have yet to be on a paved trail yet. I don't need to follow your pics advice man. If I have a shit time with my first tip I think thats okay.
>>2122385
ill get two and tape them together
>>
is 65l too much for overnight?
>>
>>2122664
It is more than necessary, but you can bring lots of comfort items
>>
>>2122665
rei outlet had a good deal on a 65l gregory

i've got an 18 i use for day hikes but i'm wanting to move up and possibly do some thru hikes
>>
>>2122409
Tape a stick to it to make a longer handle.
>>
File: 2021-05-29 12_13_47.png (78 KB, 1483x599)
78 KB
78 KB PNG
>>2122382
>I hike every single weekend
>needs help from a chinese cartoon forum to decide what kind bug spray to purchase
doubt.jpg
>>
>>2122731
>yes, use sawyer brand picaridin spray
Break out the citronella candles too.
>>
Sup /out/
I've been going on day hikes regularly all my life, but I've never camped overnight. Looking to get started this summer, first staying out for one night, more later on. Any tips other than the obvious water filter, stove, tent, etc? How viable is cooking on an open fire?
>>
>>2122731
you are one nitpicky little autist arent you anon
>>
>>2115291
I take an old visine bottle and put bleach in it. Before going to bed I put 8 drops per gallon, leave overnight, good to go in the morning.
>>
>>2122348
Pricey. But fine.
Although forget the fire starter. Bring a lighter.
>>
>>2122348
>>2123117
Was going to say the same about the fire starter. Other thoughts:
unless you’re in a cold climate or plan for winter camping I’d get a 30 degree sleeping bag and buy a liner.
I hate those water bags. Just bring some old soda or seltzer bottles.
The rest seems ok but it’s a lot of specialized gear. I’d start basic if this is a new hobby. Just get the tent, bag, pack and pad. Or even better borrow a friend’s. You can diy the rest for your first few trips.
>>
do you guys color coordinate your gear?
>>
>>2122883
Hes just exposing larpers which is a noble thing to do
>>
Any recommendations on backpacks/rucksacks for women?
>>
whats a good size pack for 3 nights at most
don't have ultralight gear
>>
>>2115291
How are you supposed to leave your gear in a camp when going for radial ascends or just checking the surroundings after setting the tent?
Aren't you afraid of your shit getting stolen?
>>
>>2123728
you need to get further inna woods so you can stop worrying about your shit getting stolen, man.
>>
>>2123732
in my area there are a national park, in which you can camp wherever you want but the park is not that huge. And there is a nature preservation area which is huge and actually beautiful mountain area. There you are only allowed to camp in the dedicated camping sites.
>>
How do I not make a mess in my tent when having sex with the lady? srs
>>
File: 1583130189975.png (1.51 MB, 750x1334)
1.51 MB
1.51 MB PNG
I bought a synthetic sleeping bag that had been stored in a compression sack for like 3 years. Is it fuckt or is compression damage to synthetics overblown? Do any anons have experience storing sleeping bags in compression sacks?
>>
>>2123882
Yeah you're not supposed to do that. It's not fucked it just won't be nearly as warm as it should be. Wash it with some tennis balls and hang it to dry, shake it even as good as you can and test it out
>>
What makes a good pair of pants? Grabbed a pair of these prana brions from REI for day hiking in PNW but idk if they're legit or they're just trying to get rid of the garbage
>>
>>2115291
I'm from another board and just took up an interest in the outdoors due to a personal experience. What would be a good way to start, just driving to a campsite and dayhiking then working my way up to backpack camping? in terms of gear, I'm open to suggestions but I think I'll do okay.
>>
>>2123728
There are grimy nigger hikers just like any demographic and they’ll steal your shit. But they aren’t actually going to steal your tent and sleeping bag. They already have their own.

>>2123882
>>2123935
Wash regular, put in DRYER with tennis balls
>>
>>2124061
Thats basically it, 99.9% of people don't go backpacking because you need better gear and its physically challenging
>>
>>2122779
You'll be right mate, just wear appropriate clothing and let someone know where you plan on going and when you're coming back.

Cooking on a fire is completely viable assuming you have the ability to make and maintain a firel
>>
>>2124061
yes, see this pic >>2122380
>>
>>2123728
>/pol/ newfag from reddit has never gone outside before
like poetry
>>
>>2124061
Crawl walk run
Start with what you're physically able to do and work your way up
If you can do an afternoon try a day, if a days too easy try two and so on
Gear is totally situational and subjective as shit imo if you have your basic needs met that's good enough
>>
>>2124002
Those are nice. They’re resistant to small amounts of water, have a bit of stretch when climbing over logs or boulders, have an integrated belt, and look good.
>>
Don’t have any backpacking experience but I’ve day hiked plenty. I have a small backpack I use for day hikes (~20 L). Is it a dumb idea to keep using this bag for overnights and last a tent/sleeping bag to the outside? Or should I just buy another, bigger pack?
>>
>>2124608
>dumb idea
It is not a dumb idea, no. But you may find the lashings hard to manage. And depending on where you attach, you might wind up significantly changing your balance.
>>
>>2122236
Ion exchange membranes can filter out a lot of smaller chemicals but you will need to pre-filter(and not just through a sweaty bandana) to avoid clogging them.
>>
File: ggme.jpg (3.63 MB, 2620x4656)
3.63 MB
3.63 MB JPG
>>2115291
The waviness of the zipper of this jacket is because the jacket has shrunk after the last trip to the washing machine (the zipper, obviously, doesn't shrink and hence is forced to wave up and down) even though I made sure it was a 30°C cycle. It's hard to show it in a picture but trust me in person it's very noticeable, even the pockets are like that. Basically I've ruined a wool jacket, good job me.

It's still usable, but what did I do wrong? How do I prevent myself from damaging it any further?
>>
>>2122731
to be fair maybe he hiked in the fall / winter / spring
>>
>>2124370
>/pol/
did you assume I am from there cause only niggers steal?
>>
>>2124800
It most likely won’t shrink anymore. The manufacturer should be using preshrunk wool, but apparently they wanted to skimp costs
>>
>>2122236
The Sawyer S3 claims to filter heavy metals and chemicals
>>
>>2121270
No, fuck bic. Get a zippo. You won't regret it.
>>
>>2122148
>I have a zippo but I think a bic mini would be *puts on sunglasses* a little lighter.
Stick with the zippo anon
>>
>>2125044
Until you go to use it and find the fuel evaporated.
>>
>>2125046
Just top it off before every wilderness outing, you lazy fuck.
>>
>>2115291
130 replies and nobody mentions that chlorine molecules bond with impurities in the water, making bleach useless for sterilizing water that has silt or other debris floating in it?
>>
>>2125196
I should have said unreliable, not useless.
>>
how long will a whole smoked mackerel last in a backpack unrefrigerated?
>>
File: 1586724675692.jpg (144 KB, 711x426)
144 KB
144 KB JPG
>2 liters of water
>antiseptics
>cotton and bandages
>knife
>tweezers
>lighter
>protein shake
>2 eggs
>2 bananas
>possibly some other fruit or sandwich
>extra clothes
>chargeable battery
Any other essentials for a 10 hour round trip to a mountain top and back that I'm missing? Anything else you'd recommend? I'm going completely alone so I wanna cover all of my bases.
>>
>>2125779
unless you are a chad with pic related i would not recommend bringing eggs, bananas will also get smushed in your pack. unless you are bushcrafting or larping the knife is useless.
the only other thing i think of would be some kind of rain gear if theres any chance of it. and a good book.
remember to leave your itinerary and expected return time with someone if you are going alone, especially if there is no signal
>>
>>2125779
2L, 10 hours up a mountain, have fun being thirsty
>>
>>2124608
Buy your sleep system and see if it fits. If not, bigger pack
>>
>>2125786
>unless you are a chad with pic related
No picture though?
Yeah I'll inform at least two people about my itinerary, good call on the book though! The knife is just a precaution honestly, I know I won't need it but I'd rather not get in a situation where I'd think "damn, wish I had brought my knife with me".

>>2125792
10 hours round trip, not 10 hours up a mountain. I can always pack more water, no idea how much I'd need for a 10 hour long trip though
>>
>>2125848
I use 2-3L a day hiking, consider water sources on your trek for filtering to save some weight
>>
>>2121503
if you're scared of a little wind go ahead and bring the latter

I bring one similar to the dagger you have. I generally do not bring the rainfly unless rain is expected, even then I often just bring a 2nd lightweight tarp instead

The worst thing about wind in the desert is the sand it can carry, I find using a rainfly of the stretched out external type does little against this particular issue, placement of the tent is more crucial
>>
>>2125779
here's what you should actually bring

>2 liters of water, 1-2 more depending on heat and elevation gain
>knife
>lighter
>1 banana
>sandwich
>enough clothes for the weather report
>phone on airplane mode

I would leave the first aid stuff in the car. best thing you can do for yourself is to study your route and the landscape on google earth beforehand, when you get there you should feel like you have been there before. know general landmarks e.g. if I walk north I will run into a road eventually
>>
File: 20210528_120642.jpg (3.42 MB, 4032x3024)
3.42 MB
3.42 MB JPG
Anyone know what this mark is from? I was hiking in new mexico last week and came across a bunch of rocks like this
>>
File: 82.jpg (103 KB, 1333x1200)
103 KB
103 KB JPG
Can I use lamp oil or ethanol in multi fuel burners or should I just stick with diesel?
>>
>>2126041
ayy's
>>
>>2123882
>mfw I'm out for an evening jog and two roasties suddenly start sprinting ahead of me
>>
File: 20210528_121553.jpg (768 KB, 2016x1512)
768 KB
768 KB JPG
>>2126267
Thought about that myself
>>
>>2126041
>>2126345
Interesting. Does New Mexico feature shells shaped like donuts? Or rather, DID it feature such things in the past?
>>
why do outdoorsmen care about soot on their cookware?
>>
>>2126345
Freaky. I have no idea what that could be. Almost like someone sprinkled bleach or some other poison on the rocks..
>>
File: iron reduction spot.jpg (22 KB, 340x270)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
>>2126041
They are iron reduction spots. I'm sorry to disappoint you but they weren't aliens.

>'Measurements of the size and shape of the grey reduction spots and of the variation of iron content across the spot–host rock interface have been made on samples from the Enville Group. The red coloration due to Fe3+ is thought to reside mainly in the matrix material cementing the mineral grains of the rock. The reduction to Fe2+ is ascribed to carbonaceous particles included in the sediment. To account for the sharp boundary of the spots it is suggested that the outward movement of the boundary is due to concentration dependent inward diffusion of oxygen which converts the carbonaceous material to carbonate.'

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/geological-magazine/article/on-the-mechanism-of-formation-of-reduction-spots-in-the-carboniferouspermian-red-beds-of-warwickshire/2DA422F954ECEEF15DD3D42B14927BC4
>>
>>2126041
remains of lichen?
>>
>>2126368
Because it gets all over everything when you put it in your pack
>>
>>2126385
you mean the stuffsack?
>>
>>2126373
That doesn't look the same. I bet that grey and long skinny fingers typed this post without touching the keyboard.
>>
>>2126387
unless the stuffsack is plastic, soot will seep trough
and if it is plastic and doesn't allow airflow your soot will end up a sticky tar like mess
soot is no joke and you will learn this eventually
one of the worst things to have on anything made from fabric
t.chimney sweep
>>
>>2126345
Could it just be spots left over from some kind of plants or lichen?
>>
>>2126266
never mind, alcohol in these is apparently a bad idea. Stick to petroleum based fuels
>>
>>2126387
Why would I want to take a stuff sack just to put my cookpot in?
>>
>>2126421
To prevent the soot from spreading obviously.
>>
>>2126379
>>2126406
>>2126399
How did you know? I'm from Mars.
But seriously, these are iron reduction spots. They are extremely common especially in sandstones or sedimentary rocks. It is not lichen, it is not aliens and it is not bleach.
>>
>>2126428
I don't belive you.
>>
Going on an 8 mile hike that’s semi elevated and want to grab a daypack. What’s the common size for one and does /out/ have any recommendations? What if I have to shit?
>>
File: 61zPQqFBGAL._AC_SL1200_.jpg (63 KB, 1140x946)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
How much water should I need for a 20 mile hike and a two days camping, Is it worth getting a filter?
>>
>>2126740
A water bottle will be fine
>>2126760
anything below 5l a day will be miserable
it would be stupid to be carrying 10 kilograms of water for a 2 day hike
>>
>>2126799
Won’t I need storage for 15 cliff bars and shit like wipes and a flask?
>>
>>2126811
I've done 9 miles without a break and little water, Depending on how elevated it is you might need a 10 minute rest
>>
>>2126812
I have a good 30 lbs to lose but do a shitload of cardio. I see the trail is only 700 feet elevation gain so I might not even bother
>>
One more filter question guys:
I want a filter for a 72-hour "screw you guys I'm going home" type bag. This kit will probably also flex into the generalized grab-and-go tramping and woods loafing role.

I'm seriously tempted by the MSR Guardian. It's stupid expensive, but maximum overkill seems like a good idea for emergency use. No muss no fuss, screw a bottle into it, drop hose into a puddle, pump away, and GTFO. Zero maintenance, stupid long filter life, supposedly more durable than other filters... Aside from the fuck-you price, is there any reason to go for something else? Any other options I should consider?
>>
File: 20210528_1210317.jpg (985 KB, 2016x1512)
985 KB
985 KB JPG
>>2126373
>>2126428
Sorry for the late reply.
Looked up some more pictures of that and i think that might be what it is. Only odd thing with that though is that i only found it in a small 20 foot wide area. There was also some destroyed parts of something metal in the same spot as well. Most of them were green. I was a few miles from the trinity site when i found it if it helps
>>
>>2127207
>some destroyed parts of something metal
Photograph is of aviation aluminum. Some piece of fuselage. The flat rivets are dead giveaway.
>>
File: 681184_ts.jpg (59 KB, 1155x1155)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>2115291
Has anyone tried Thermacell? Is it as efficient as advertised? Is it worth the price? Is it a meme
>>
>>2123882
its not recommended to ever store in a compression sack for any longer period of time, only you can tell if its fucked though.
id run it through the dryer with some dryer balls or whatever then take it out on a trip, thats the only way you'll know
>>
>>2124002
you dont need special trousers to go day hiking
>>
>>2124800
wool is finicky at the best of times, if your washing machine has a hand wash setting use that on a cold wash.
if not always hand wash.

i know it probably says its safe at 30 or whatever but unless its completely caked in month old mud cold washing works perfectly 99.99% of the time
>>
>>2124800
get it wet and hand stretch it into shape, then set it out to dry somewhere it isn't in the direct sun. I can't guarantee it will work in one shot, but it's your best bet.
>>
>>2115291
this is beyond retarded. pls kindly kys
>>
/out/ spooked me to death about shit like ticks and other bugs since im a newbie but starting to go on longer trips soon, am I worrying too much or should I do something to alleviate my fears? I live in Tennessee
>>
>>2127501
ticks are rare in states other that arent the in the north east, regardless ticks aren't that bad just bring a tool or an old credit card.
you're over thinking it
>>
Why is everybody on this board so miserable? I thought spending time in nature was meant to be good for your mental health. At least on /fit/ they have fun whilst shitposting
>>
>>2127521
nobody on here goes outside
>>
File: 20210603_183527.jpg (1.85 MB, 4032x1816)
1.85 MB
1.85 MB JPG
What are some other anons sollution to storage and packing before a trip?
>>
File: 20210603_224746.jpg (890 KB, 2560x1440)
890 KB
890 KB JPG
Why is there a dude walking behind Brooke after the wolf encounter on the beach in Alone s4e1 at 13:40, well before her husband arrives? Makes me feel like this shit is staged.
>>
>>2128106
no shit ofcourse
>>
>>2124087
>>2124369
>>2124373
thanks anons, on youtube i've been seeing lots of videos about ultralight and stuff because and i find it interesting, i've always enjoyed the complete maximization of efficiency in a particular degree, like modding a car for pure speed or range. however, i know personally that i care a lot about comfort and i'd rather gruel through a worse hike to my campsite and enjoy the night than have an easy hike and walk a further distance quicker but have to sleep under a tarp or use a small quilt for example. the extremity required to justify cutting your toothbrush in half to save half an ounce is beyond me. I'm starting small and traditional, I'll make changes according to how my first experiences feel.
>>
>>2122236
>>2124794
You can diy an ion exchange filter with zeolite but it will only filter a very small amount of water before it needs to be recharged.
>>
>>2127481
They are all packaged to their compression sacs when they are sold silly. They might very well spend a year like that and nobody bats an eye.
>>
File: IMG_20210605_140227.jpg (156 KB, 599x1329)
156 KB
156 KB JPG
Not a question, I just wanted to share I managed to nurture a seed. Chili harvest soon!
>>
>>2128106
the question is, did they recreate somthing that wasn't caught on camera, or something completely false.
>>
File: 1622659901080.jpg (59 KB, 432x768)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>2115291
What rope is best for tying up women? Strange question, but my girl is into kink shit. What type of rope is best to make sure it doesn't give her friction burns, or anything like that?
>>
>>2129587
50lb mono fishing line
>>
>>2129587
Your gf sounds like she isnt really into shibari, if you need soft rope for it then your missing out on part of the experience as hemp rope is normally used.
>>
>>2121270
Imho, the mini lighters tend to suck. Too stiff on the flints, tiny buttons... the full size ones really arent that much bigger and are easier to use.

Stick with the full sizes unless you really, REALLY need to save that half ounce.

t. smoker
>>
>>2127483
Is wool always like that or did I get a lemon? I'm not really into high maintenance gear and clothing.
>>
>>2122006
Yes.
Yes he does.
>>
What length knife blade do you find most convenient for EDC tasks? Where I live there are no limits on knife length. Right now I'm carrying a knife with a 4" blade and I'm finding the length somewhat awkward when using the knife for opening things or cutting cord, although with time I expect awkwardness will decrease.
>>
>>2127505
The correct answer to ticks is wearing long pants tucked into your shoes and spraying your clothing with permethrin. Ticks will still jump onto you but permethrin kills them on contact.
>>
File: o_rly59.jpg (59 KB, 800x730)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
When making a drainage ditch around my tent how close should it be? Any good reference pics? I jsut want to avoid getting drenched if it starts raining when i sleep.
>>
>>2121393
There might be a strain on your knees if you're overweight and carrying heavy gear. You can protect your knees somewhat by wearing knee guards and/or using hiking poles.
>>
>>2121575
I used them for a while but went back to bottles. They save time if you're trying to keep up with someone going at a fast pace (the one situation I would use one.) Also they're kind of a bother to clean.
>>
>>2122348
I prefer a rechargeable headlamp, and they're lighter.
>>
>>2122664
You should be able to compress it down, if you don't fill it.
>>
>>2123716
Aarn
>>
>>2123859
Are you car camping?
>>
>>2124608
If you're going to lash a mat or a sleeping bag or a tent onto a small pack, put them inside plastic bags first.
>>
>>2126760
I would bring those little Micropur tablets.
>>
>>2127588
Don't pack as you go. Spread a tarp on the ground. Place everything you need to carry on the tarp. Tick every single thing off a list. Only then pack your pack.
>>
should i buy a plain edge knife or mixed serrated/plain for a 6" fixed blade?
>>
Hammock question:
>Two trees 12ft apart
>Hammock length 10ft..
>If I hang my hammock at a 30° it hits the floor
>I can pull it tight so it hangs at a 0°, basically not at all
>When I get in I'm a foot off the ground

Is there anything wrong with just having the hammock go straight across and having your weight push it down? I heard it is bad for the ropes, but it seems to support me fine.

Also, for an under quilt, could I just use a cloth, wrap it around the bottom tarp and attach it with tarp clips?
>>
File: 0 degree hang hammock.png (1.48 MB, 1098x623)
1.48 MB
1.48 MB PNG
>>2131653
pic related is what I am talking about. How bad is it to do this to your hammock?
>>
>>2131653
Can you raise the straps higher up on the trees?
>I heard it is bad for the ropes
You aren't using actual ropes for the hammock are you
>>
>>2131682
>Can you raise the straps higher up on the trees?
Not really
>>2131682
>You aren't using actual ropes for the hammock are you
Using the tree straps that came with it
>>
>>2119317
No it says if the water is murky you double and that's because the chloride ions get consumed in reactions with whatever is suspended in the water making it murky and that also means usually a higher bioburden.
>>
>>2131633
Some people say serrations are a meme, but I find them very useful. It's hard to cut zipties and other bindings with just a plain edge.
>>
>>2131332
its more about picking a site that wont flood then actually digging a trench
>>
what the fuck is wrong with spelunkers? who would willingly want to do that shit?
>>
>>2131749
>If the water is cloudy, murky, colored, or very cold, add double the amount of bleach listed below.
Is English your first language? It clearly says “or very cold” right there
>>
File: 1621993969928.jpg (22 KB, 450x450)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
What should i know about compression bags? Id like to get a few to save a bit of pack space. My sleeping bags are a bit poofy, even in their own bags and it would be nice to smoosh them down a bit more.
>>
File: Sling.jpg (47 KB, 506x711)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
Does anyone have experience with sling/chest packs? (like pic related, but ofc better quality) I need some recommendations. I'm heading out to Alaska in July and I need one since I'll be doing some camera documenting work - I'll be using a Pelican 1510 with a backpack adapter through quite a few hikes so I'll need something on my chest to put a rain shell, some water, and a few other accessories there.

Some more info on this - I'll be hiking (getting in as best shape as possible for this, I know it'll be fucking rough) with the Pelican on my back, and it will be some hours long. I'm willing to spend a bit more $ for a good solution.
>>
>>2131857
>Id like to get a few
You only need one for your sleeping bag. They won't help for anything else.

>bags
How many do you bring with you?
>>
>>2131857
Stuff sacks don’t save any space. Stuff your bag in the bottom of your pack and pile everything else on top. Doing that, the bag will fill up all the books and crannies that otherwise end up as dead space in your pack
>>
>>2131888
Nooks not books fuck you autocorrect
>>
No idea what this is, this isn't a weed it's gotta be either dill weed or something right??
>>
>>2131883
2 bags, for my purposes.

>>2131888
The idea is, outside of sleeping bags, i could also keep a change or 2 of clothes and cinch them down some, on top of keeping my pack organized.

Fwiw, its an ancient trapper nelson no.2. Its got one big ass pocket and a smaller button one, and packing it for 2 has been interesting.
>>
>>2131895
That is full grown asparagus.
>>
>>2131829
Admittedly i did miss that. I suspect that has more to do with bleach viscosity and the reaction kinetics than anything else.
>>
Planning a three day trip. Leaving morning of 9th, overnight, overnight 10th, and then hike back on the 11th. Will 6 liters of water be enough? There is no source where I'm going.
>>
>>2131959
No, you also didn’t mention how many miles you’re going and what you’re eating
>>
>>2124881
is the Saywer S3 safe to use?
I live in North Florida and we get a shit load of agricultural runoff in our waterways and a lot of areas have very stagnant water, which makes hiking a pain in the ass.
I often just bring a gallon and a half of water with me on weekend hikes and campouts because there is either no water in the area or the water is the color of mud and is stagnant except during hurricanes or the water is a runoff river going through a hundred miles of farms with decades of factories and jewish SuperFund sites around it.

Will the Sawyer S3 really remove heavy metals, pesticides, and all the nasty shit in the kind of water that is in Florida?
>>
>>2131997
https://sawyer.com/products/select-filter-and-purifier/
The S2 would probably be fine, and it’ll last 4x as long. You only get 62.5gallons out of the S3
>>
>>2132013
but is the S3 really as good as they say?
I'm not finding any model in stock in many places, and if the Sawyers are as good as they say, I'd rather get the higher functioning one and just spend the dosh on it than risk ingesting crap to save a few bucks when I need to replace the filter and bottle.

Do you have any experience with their filters?
>>
>>2132071
Not the S series. I use a Squeeze and I’ve never gotten the runs. But I also have water sources that at least look clean. There’s only a few filters out there that claim to filter viruses and pollutants, and if pretty sure most of them have a terrible flow rate. I’m sure it’s fine - it’s a reputable company - and I’m sure they wouldn’t claim it does those things without some science behind it.
>>
>>2125792
>>2125915
Water requirement does depend on a few different factors (including heat and how much you sweat). 2L-3L is probably fine but maybe bring a cooler with some more water in your car for when you get back.
>>
Starting to get into longer and longer day hikes, doing a 7 mile 1500 feet of elevation gain hike Friday in the 70s. Is this the territory where I grab a daypack for hydration and shit? Will only be doing longer hikes as well
>>
>>2126019
>I would leave the first aid stuff in the car.
I typically bring a daypack-sized first aid kit on day hikes. It weighs less than 6 ounces (~160g). It makes a list of shit look long when you itemize everything but it's trivial to carry in a pack with water, food, and spare clothing.
>>
>>2131974
it's only about 20 miles. bringing about 1500 cal a day of food
>>
>>2132125
I mean why not? May as well get used to it. I sometimes even bring one when I do small hikes in the woods across from my house just to stay comfortable with having something on my back. You can also pack rain gear, some extra clothes, etc. If you want you can even bring some cooking stuff for fun. Have a hot lunch on the summit instead of beef jerky and granola bars.
>>
>>2132405
I’ll grab one, any recommendations? Was looking at the REI flash 22 or 25
>>
>>2131997
If used with stagnant water the S3 will clog and stop working because the weird sponge inside the square squeeze bottle that actually get rid of chemicals will be fucked, if near a lot of monoculture I would research or reach out to Sawyer and ask specifically about glyphosate
>>
>>2132071
Same as >>2132071
I was the one that brought up the S3 and since I have not bought/used on this is why I said "they claim" their squeeze are legit so I would assume the S series are legit but fertilizers pesticides and industrial run off warrant reading the exact specs not the selling points
>>
Is milsurp stuff good for hiking? My local surplus store has some ALICE gear in stock and I'm thinking about buying.
>>
>>2133160
The specs : The Select systems reduce chemicals down to 0.5 parts per billion (up to 40 times lower than the EPA’s maximum recommended level) and reduce pesticides down to 0.01 parts per billion (400 times lower than the EPA’s maximum).

The Select S3 models go even further, purifying contaminated water from suspect sources:

Select S3 filters out 99.99% of viruses and reduces heavy metals such as lead, copper, arsenic, and mercury down to 0.5 parts per billion (up to 260 times lower than the EPA’s maximum)
>>
>>2133163
Whatever gear gets you hiking is the best gear, but honestly no, way too heavy and cumbersome.
>>
>>2119171
sheep go to heaven...
>>
File: gregory_Z30.jpg (43 KB, 426x543)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>>2132478
Not really. I use a Gregory Z30. In some respects it's overkill for a day pack, but the back ventilation makes a huge difference when it comes to comfort. So it's worth it for me. I used it a ton for both day hiking and bicycling (sometimes both in sequence).

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/camping-and-hiking/daypack/gregory-z30
>>
File: 81K22MrmK0L._AC_SL1500_.jpg (93 KB, 1500x1470)
93 KB
93 KB JPG
Anyone have experience with this pad?

Paria recharge xl
$85
R-value 4.7 (not ASTM verified, but in an email they said they're expecting it to fall within +-0.5)
1lb 10 oz
76x23", 4" thick

I'm a side sleeper and don't want to spend an extra $100 to save a few ounces, so it looks like a decent year-round pad. Haven't seen tons of reviews but the ones out there seem positive
>>
File: 232487_1_2000x.jpg (266 KB, 2000x1333)
266 KB
266 KB JPG
Thinking of going backpacking in colorado for a few weeks at a time. Should I bring a gun? I'll be going alone and I'll probably have at least $1000 worth of supplies on me. Would bear mace/flares be better?
>>
>>2133163
It's too heavy for ultralight hiking. But for those of us who don't crave cock, it's fine.
>>
>>2134589
>Would bear mace be better?
for bear yes, people, no
>>
>>2129982
why dont you just get polyester then? its basically synthetic wool, its everywhere, its maintenance free, and its cheap as hell. i like acrylic as well. im not sure how they stack up on water-logged heat retaining ability but i dont go swimming in my jackets and i own a rain coat so that has never effected me
>>2131332
this violates leave no trace principles
>>2131653
>>2131679
i literally always pull it as tight as you can, been doing so with the same hammock and straps for at least 6 years. i have no idea why someone would tell you not to
>>
literally just get some aquamira to treat your water. A filter can break if it is exposed to freezing Temps and you won't even know it is broken til you get Guardia.

Aquamira will kill everything and doesn't impact the taste of the water. It's also light as hell.
>>
>>2134589
CO is black bear country anon, you'll be fine without a gun or spray.
>>
>>2131957
all reactions slow in colder temperatures, this is basic chemistry
>>
What's a lightweight option for a battery bank? What do you guys use?
>>
>>2115845
answer: >>2133204
>what do you pack en it that justifies the size?
Obviously, as mentioned the ventilation is a big selling point regardless of size.
The pouches are convenient to separate food and minor equipment like maps, headlamps, bug spray, and such from food and clothing.
Extra clothing can be useful even on day hikes. Basically if you are doing anything interesting like gaining a lot of elevation or doing anything around rivers or water in general then having extra clothes is worth it.
Poles attach easily to the side as well.
>>
File: 20210612_003449.jpg (341 KB, 2016x1512)
341 KB
341 KB JPG
>>2136075
Can't remember what brand it is but i found pic related at walmart for $14.88 kek. I keep it wrapped in a canvas pouch and a ziploc bag in my pack. It holds 10,000 watts and takes slightly over a quarter of its charge to completely recharge my phone. Coldest I've used it in was 28 degrees so i couldn't tell you if really cold temperatures will drain it
>>
>>2133163
Milsurp doesn't take user comfort into high regard, it's designed to do a job and survive being dragged through the shit. It's often bulky or heavyweight but if you want to deal with that then its a backpack that you can put shit in.
>>
>>2132191
Does your food need rehydrating?
>>
What are some good wilderness survival books?
>>
https://www.decathlon.ca/en/camping-tents-for-3-people-and-less/324496-75174-mh100-2-person-tent.html#/demodelsize-254sans_taille/demodelcolor-8581555?queryID=d4b4623e8bad4e42c8a35be2f22f51e1&objectID=4006573

This is the cheapest tent I've found online that ships to me. I've camped a couple of times in others tents before. But for my own first tent to be used in the summer months for some backpacking trips, should I raise my budget or do you guys think it's good enough.
>>
>>2115291
What are some good sleeping mats? I want something as compact as possible but I don't want one of those inflatable ones.
>>
>>2135626
>why dont you just get polyester then?
The jacket was gifted to me. It's my first wool item of clothing and I'll use it as reference point in the future.
>>
>>2136578
>>2132402

>>2136952
I've seen the brands Therm-a-Rest and Nemo shilled here before when it came it pads. Start there
>>
>>2136952
Just get a thermarest zlite. Any closed-cell foam pad is going to be bulky. If it’s too bulky as-is, then cut it down. You don’t really need the insulation/padding below your knee
>>
>>2125046
kek
>>
File: enamel cup.jpg (8 KB, 390x328)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
What's a good camp cup, Just something for the morning, and before I sleep, Insulated would be nice. I currently just use a bone chine one.
>>
File: Permit.jpg (41 KB, 450x599)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>2115291
How does Mount Whitney California compare to Colorado 14'ers? I just got a Whitney permit for August 23rd 2021 and want to know what my chances are. Will I make it? I cannot camp because the permit is for day use only.
>>
I bring a harmonica camping, that's not as bad as a bluetooth speaker is it?
>>
>>2137957
I use a 10oz Magellan cup that i found at academy. Can't remember what the price was but i think it was under $10. Keeps my coffee hot for a very long time even in sub zero temperatures.
>>
>>2137988
its not hard and there is enough traffic on it and rangers in the area that you are in no real danger assuming you aren’t dumb. think pikes peak but without the road up. 4% of average snowpack in southern sierras this year so even snow isnt an issue.
>>
>>2131682
>actual ropes for the hammock
you strapholes are insufferable
>>
>>2134589
>Should I bring a gun?
Yes.
>Would bear mace/flares be better?
Bear mace would be better than a gun for encountering a bear.
Flares would be better than a gun for getting attention.
Neither of these things are relevant to the good idea of carrying a gun.
>>
I store my full pack in my hall closet by putting the straps on a hanger. Anyone else do this? Or think it's a terrible idea?
>>
File: DSC_0007Lines.jpg (3.45 MB, 4128x3096)
3.45 MB
3.45 MB JPG
What am I missing?
The empty green space is for food/water.
Other than anime figures and manga this is all I own + tools and the bike to the left.
I'm moving across the country on my bike (Ontario to Alberta).
>>
File: Loadout (Move).jpg (3.67 MB, 5102x3096)
3.67 MB
3.67 MB JPG
>>2138894
Here's better
I'm thinking what I still need is
>Pack of smokes
>bigger towel
>another cloth
>another lighter
>Extra Fuel container for the Single Burner
>gauze
>misc pills for water filtration, stomach aches, headaches, ect.
>>
>>2131857
I just use compressions bags for things with loft, like sleeping bags and winter clothes
>>2131888
I disagree, most have too much loft. Use shirts, pants, and other things to fill those small spaces. Anything with loft will push out too much uncompressed and you also risk more punctures.
>>
>>2121226
Matches always sucked
>>2121270
I'd counter with Bic non-mini lighters. They're small enough already
>>2125044
They look cool, but the evap sucks, they're smokers lighters. That said, put some electrical tape around the insert to make it tighter and evap less
>>2125046
This. They do looks cool though

Also, they make butane inserts for Zippos
The ones that look like jets too. I'd try those, or just get one of those mini torch lighters.
>>
>>2123728
Literally my biggest problem when traveling/camping.
I put my shit in big heavy duty trash bags and put it deep in bush off the higwhay so I can take my motorcycle in the twisties.
>>
>>2116087
As someone with a poly tarp now I'd say get medium or heavy duty one.
The grommets on the light duty ones feel like they'd rip out of the tarp with little effort
>>2120718
Based retard blasting music on the trails innawoods.
I'd recommend something a little higher quality though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEdB09gGBg0
>>
>Roadtrip from 500' ASL location to Colorado
>Camp in Colorado one night at 7000'ish
>See cool 12500' mountain, see it's not a super long hike, decide to do it
>Do it
>Didn't know what altitude sickness is, being from low elevation
>After about an hour at altitude, headache set in but I finished the hike
>Headache is killer now
Now that I read about altitude sickness I realize how retarded this was. As long as it's just a headache it's pretty much harmless right? How long does it take to get over? I'm staying at 5500' elevation now.
>>
>>2138935
Isn't that the famous abandoned bridge?
>>
My synthetic fill sleeping bag came in a sack rather than a compression bag, would it be ok to put it in a compression bag? Or would I risk 'bursting' it. Just trying to free up bag space when it's dry.
>>
>>2138984
altitude sickness is arbitrary on when it hits and the only real cure is going down. all you can do is just drink lotsa water and dont overexert and hope the headache subsides
>>
>>2139235
I do 50/50. I don't get a compressions sack, but I just get a smaller stuff and stuff the sleeping bag in tighter.
That or use the stock stuff sack, but also shove some cold weather clothes in with the bag.
>>
I have an old cheap pup tent that I keep around because its pretty light weight and packs down small enough. Its getting leaky at the seams where it streches when you pitch it tight, especially at the peaks. Whats the best way to fix that? Goop, tape, or glue-on patches?
>inb4 buy a new tent, poorfag
No. For extra poorfag points: is tent specific sealant strictly neccisary or can I brush silicone onto the seams instead?
>>
>>2121575
yeah, as long as you dont get too chinky with your choice of brand
i have a camelbak that i have used every day for the last 7 or 8 years. ive never cleaned it and never had a problem with it. the high use zippers are starting to go and there are some wear holes. i hear their newer systems are inferior; however. i personally would never go for less than 3 litres, and avoid the clasp-top ones (as in go for one with a screw on lid) if you expect to use it often. ive not much experience with them but they feel flimsy and seem built to break
>>2136248
i feel these pricings are intentional, having seen such myself
>>
Can someone recommend me a decent knife or switchblade? Mostly going to use it to harvest fungi
>>
File: 1610693025672.webm (2.32 MB, 1800x600)
2.32 MB
2.32 MB WEBM
>>2139628
opinel
>>
>>2139636
Expectation vs Reality
>>
>>2139549
seam sealer
>>
>>2138935
the guy recording could just not be in any less of a hurry to help
>>
>>2139549
Remember "A" frames collect condensation at the top more than other tents
>>2139672
In the video on Youtube I think he guy recording is laughing his ass off if I remember correctly.
>>
>>2139677
>>>2139549 (You)
>Remember "A" frames collect condensation at the top more than other tents
Yeah, but this isnt condensation raining back down, i can see daylight through the stitch holes because theyve been streached out over the years
>>
File: image.jpg (195 KB, 640x640)
195 KB
195 KB JPG
>>2139681
Ah ok, just making sure
>>
File: 20210603_145218.jpg (3.24 MB, 4032x1960)
3.24 MB
3.24 MB JPG
I need some help guys
My backyard has been dirt and rocks for a long time now. I worked my ass off and planted some grass a couple months ago. It's been getting bald spots and I've been planting and watering to cover it up but the bald spots keep coming, and some of them aren't growing back.

What should I do? Pic totally unrelated.
>>
Looking for an old /out/ screencap of a story of an anon going to live with his grandpa in the deep north wilderness and then having spooky encounters with forest spirits and wildlife. Anybody have it?
>>
Has anyone ever lost interest in the outdoors and then re-gained interest later in life? If so, how long did you go on hiatus from your /out/ activities?
My interest sharply declined at the start of the pandemic 15 months ago and is lower than ever now. My passion is almost completely gone and I'm wondering if it will ever come back. I just don't get the same enjoyment out of it as I used to...
>>
>>2139713
is that an /x/ story?
reminds me of the "Blue" series, but that was a grandma
>>
File: decathlon.jpg (72 KB, 1200x900)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
Why the fuck is standard size leg length 33 inches?
>>
>>2136075
I use an anker power core because it can charge from a portable 10w solar panel and can charge a laptop. A lot of battery banks can only charge from outlets and won't actually charge anything bigger than a phone.
>>
>>2122284
>Grayl Geopress
>Removes global waterborne pathogens (virus, bacteria, protozoan cysts) and filters pesticides, chemicals, heavy metals, and microplastics.
It won't do shit against chemicals.
>>
>>2139734
Nah, it was about some guys Scandinavian grandfather who lived a few days hike into the wilderness
>>
File: greentext.jpg (3.44 MB, 1753x7763)
3.44 MB
3.44 MB JPG
>>2139713
Yes! The Yukon /x/ story with the tomtenisse, good stuff

here's a youtube video of someone reciting it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bywBEuitbtQ

here's an archive of the original thread:
https://archive.4plebs.org/x/thread/21680159/
>>
>>2139852
shit just realized that wasn't the original thread, my bad
>>
File: 1589594989133.jpg (92 KB, 1024x576)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
>>2115291
What's a good up to date complete wildlife identification book set for north america?
>>
>>2139852
Thank you very much!
>>
>>2139824
Takes arsenic out fine.
>>
>>2139628
For cutting fungus? Litterally any cheap pocket knife should do the job, dont fall for the gearfag meme, knifes a knife mate
>>
>>2134589
>Thinking of going backpacking in colorado for a few weeks at a time. Should I bring a gun?
did you mean to ask:

"Thinking of going backpacking for the first time in my life. Should I bring a gun?"
>>
>>2134589
You should always carry a gun everywhere because guns are fucking cool
>>
>>2139901
such a thing would be dumb and way too big or simplified to be useful. always search for books specific to the local area you are going out in
>>
>>2140344
I'm not looking for something to carry with me on a trip, I'm looking for something like the audubon set or the peterson set
>>
>>2131869
why not use a frame pack and carry everything on your back? I had a sling pack for textbooks in school and it puts the weight in weird spots and is prone to settling like a messenger bag
>>
File: 1363920914821s.jpg (23 KB, 250x172)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
is there a name for the /out/ bear
>>
>>2115291
Any good garden nozzle out there that I don't have to replace twice every year?
>>
>>2115291
Is it possible to live innawoods away from everything and still perform a work from home tech job on satellite internet connections?
>>
>>2141425
I have the same problem, just bought one with a ball valve hoping since it is so simple it won't fix up
>>
File: a-0122.jpg (171 KB, 1024x576)
171 KB
171 KB JPG
>>2115961
>bro the waters running, its fine!
>>
>>2141588
depends where in the world you are but as a general rule sat internet is cunted. It won't be stable but
>>
>>2141900
Ideally I'd still be in the USA, probably Washington

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.