[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 90 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: uwotm8.png (991 KB, 987x941)
991 KB
991 KB PNG
Previous thread: >>2038123

SCUBA = Self-Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus

Share your most memorable dives here, good and bad.
Post pictures, videos, and memes.
Brag about certs, experience, and achievements.
Discuss/recommend equipment, techniques, and otherwise share your love for diving in general,
Divers of all levels welcome, freedivers, as well as people just thinking about diving.

Guide:
>https://github.com/ScubaAnon/scuba-diving-general/
Feel free to contribute to it either directly or indirectly through the thread.
>>
FAQ:
>Why bother?
It's a pretty based hobby if you like getting wet. Staying and breathing underwater for longer periods of time exposes you to a completely different world and experience. You should at least try this once in your lifetime. Also, there's no talking underwater (except occasional hand signals), so you won't have to deal with nagging from other people except for a short period on the surface.
>Is it expensive?
Any hobby has its expenses. If you choose to own your own gear instead of renting it you'll quickly drive up quite a hefty cost. However, if you turn out to be an active diver the initial investment is usually worth it over time.
>Isn't SCUBA diving dangerous?
Yes, you could die with very little effort (hold your breath and ascend: boom, you're dead). You should keep this in mind every time you dive. The risk is worth it though, and quite low when it comes to recreational diving between or shallower than 18-20 meters.
>Can I dive alone?
Only if you accept x2 the risk of dying.
>Where do I start?
Get certified (beware Ko Tao in Thailand though). There are many organizations who certify divers, notable among them PADI, SSI, GUE, CMAS. PADI is probably the largest organization, but is usually a little more expensive than alternatives. Before even getting certified though practice only breathing through your mouth.
>>
FAQ continued:
>Why learn breathing only through your mouth?
Besides likely getting water in your mask while diving at some point, there's mask flooding and mask off exercises in the course. You don't want to bolt to the surface in a panic because you suddenly snorted some water. For practice, try snorkeling with swimming goggles (which won't cover your nose). Don't forget about mask squeeze though (see video in guide).
>Where to dive?
The guide is sparse for now, but if you can't find anything there then ask ITT.
>Best way to log dives?
Subsurface is free as in freedom software for logging and planning dives, and it's quite possibly the best software out there. A physical logbook is also fine and should probably be used in conjunction with it.
>>
>>2105851
Can someone list or post a list of steps required to become a saturation diver from zero? Good pay and idgaf about dying desu
>>
I accidentally forgot to bump the previous thread which sadly died prematurely as a result. Hopefully this one can be kept alive.

At any rate, maybe I'm blind, but I don't really see any third party archiving for /out/, which means a lot of pretty pictures will be lost. Maybe that short-lived nature actually breathes more life into these threads. Alternatively I could add pics of dive sites mentioned in the thread into the guide like this:
https://github.com/ScubaAnon/scuba-diving-general/commit/3f584ab61686eab28b4b472ba892ad9883d3efb4

What do people think?

>>2107839
I would love to add this to the guide, but I don't really know that much saturation diving.
>>
>>2107852
>I would love to add this to the guide, but I don't really know that much saturation diving.
Darn. il read the guide and do some diggin on my own then.
>>
okay I've recently finished my open water scuba and started my advanced scuba(I've done 6 dives in the past three days) is it actually true that shouldn't hold your breath at any point? I understand over inflation if you're ascending but while I'm chilling at the ocean floor at 18m and only moving forwards can I not hold my breathe to breath most efficiently? I would like to spend as much time as I can underwater
>tldr is it a meme to continuously breathe regardless of the situation
>>
>>2107863
Don't hesitate to make a PR.

>>2107872
It's a good meme to keep you safe. Although you'll probably be fine holding your breath when descending or maintaining your depth, this could easily become a bad habit which inadvertently ends in you accidentally holding your breath while ascending. There's also a few things to keep in mind: large waves on the surface could easily affect your depth, and CO2 buildup is a distinct possibility if you hold your breath. Besides losing your consciousness as a result (which results in drowning) you could also panic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm65KECsEpE

Deep, relaxed, and continuous breathing should always be your goal, regardless of your level of skill or confidence. There's very little (if anything) to gain from giving some exceptions to this rule.

To get more technical though, it's not really holding your breath that's the problem. Over-expansion injuries happen due to the closure of the epiglottis. As long as you keep that open, air will escape even if you ascend. This is why you're supposed to say "aaaa" when doing an emergency ascent: to make sure the epiglottis is open.
>>
>>2105851
SHEARWATER AND SPLITFINS
DEBBIE SNOW DID NOTHING WRONG
>>
>>2105851
Bump
>>
I’m going to go dive in Buford sink next week. I’ve done blue grotto, devils den, and paradise springs a bunch. Can anyone tell me how Buford compares in size?
>>
>>2109294
Yes.
>>
>>2108713
Are splitfins good for anything? Except looking cool of course.
>>
Are there any comprehensive guides on freediving like the SCUBA guides?
>>
>winter
>no posting because eh no one diving
>summer
>no posting because eh too busy diving
Can't win.
>>
>>2116163
I have a shitload of cool shit but I can't post any of it because it's from a research tank :(
>>
How much do you usually spend to charter a boat, /sdg/?
>>
>>2114446
None made by any anons as far as I'm aware.
>>
>>2114446
>be me
>look for freedive info
>find 3 types of articles
>"BE VEEGAN FREEDIVING IS LIFE REEEEEEE"
>"Go get training, but not from anyone who offers a standardized training"
>and
>"Only pussy sheeple get training just hold your breath and worry about you"

>The rest is just articles touting how you should get into freediving with a "motorcycle vs cagers" mentality towards SCUBA

>they wonder why no-one into freediving

It wouldn't be so bad if half of the freedive community weren't just jerking of over their "freedom" instead of diving.
>>
>>2118963
I don't know where you are, but it sounds like hell.
>>
>>2119272
Florida
>>
>>2105851
Best place to go in big island Hawaii
>>
>>2119310
My condolences. You have all the nature, but you have to deal with the people.
>>
What is considered "good" visibility at depth?

Im pretty sure visibility round here is shit tier but im not sure if its much worse than the norm

I would like to start diving tho
>>
>>2120822
What are you doing when you are down? If it's sight seeing, at least 10 ft would be nice. If you're hunting or something, then anywhere from 3ft out is workable, but more is better.
>>
>>2120834
Just sight seeing really
Quite far north so sunlight isnt always very strong and water quality in the sea is quite murky
>>
>>2120882
I dive in freshwater rivers, so I feel that in my core. Still though, 7-10ft is a good day here and if there is something to see, (structure, a wreck, old pilings with life around them, etc...) it's quite an interesting atmosphere.
>>
Just went diving for the first time in Aqaba, Jordan. Probably the most amazing thing I have ever done.
>>
>>2122974
Diving fun, I took advice for this board and went to jj divers in at thomas was a blast
>>
All the fish and reefs in the red sea are simply breathtaking. It truly is an alien world down there. They also have abandoned military vehicles down there which is cool to see. Planes and tanks.
>>
>>2123799
Have you heard of the high elves?
>>
Best place in the UK to do drysuit quals?
>>
File: candil.png (1.33 MB, 602x1011)
1.33 MB
1.33 MB PNG
>>2124849
Ask a commoner
>>
>>2105851
is that sat diving anon here? Tell me more about the life anon how did you get into sat diving from commercial diving is the competition tough? I just keep lookin at that money and the work where you are actually doing something and I die on the inside it seems like the perfect job.
>>
File: aqaba C-130 Hercules.jpg (66 KB, 1280x720)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
>>2122974
nice, did you go inside the Hercules?
>>
First dives since the rona lockdown
>>
I've been wanting to do open water certification for years, ever since I did my first discovery dive. My wife and I are going to Hawaii this fall on our delayed honeymoon, and I would really like to go diving there. I only have two concerns:

One, I'm in the middle of an accelerated master's degree and it's been kicking my ass. Not hard, mind you, just time consuming. What does an open water cert course really look like time-wise? Is there a good amount of class work (read: homework or studying) or is it primarily pool-based? Carving out a night or two a week won't be that difficult, but if it's even a little bit intensive it might just be too much right now.

Two, I'd like to go on another discovery dive, but bring my wife along this time to see if she'd like it. The only problem is that she's asthmatic. Fairly well controlled, and I don't think it's exercise-induced. Bad idea?
>>
>>2129071
>I'd like to go on another discovery dive
discovery dive is a waste of time, just do open water.

There's a bit of studying/homework in open water but it can be done online well ahead of the actual diving.

Your wife will need to do a dive medical and get approval from a doctor to dive, or she can tick 'NO' on the do you have asthma question (not recommended obviously). The dive medical involves doing some exercise and taking peak flow readings, so if it's really not exercise-induced she would pass easily.
>>
File: GH010082_1622235776520.jpg (144 KB, 1920x1080)
144 KB
144 KB JPG
>There are people here who don't scoob.
>There are people here who legitimately don't use a full face mask.
Absolutely disgusting.
>>
File: 5b0.jpg (60 KB, 640x531)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
Scoobers are litterally most elitist shitty people in the world who look down on everyone who doesn't want to burn money on their "sport".
>>
>>2129618
kek
>>
File: 20210605_174704.jpg (3.01 MB, 4032x1960)
3.01 MB
3.01 MB JPG
>>2129602
Went out today in Jamestown RI, beautiful day but the visibility was dogshit.
>>
>>2129618
Sounds pretty based to me. You're not poor, are you?
>>
>>2129618
>>2131667
He's never scoobed, either.
>>
>>2129664
That's not an SMB, is it?
>>
anyone freedive or spearfish? especially in freshwater
>>
>>2134534
>>2132055
>>
>>2134534
>freshwater spearfishing
why though, just use a bow

also check your state regs so you don't get dinged for poaching, here in PA you can only bow/spear carps and catfish
>>
>>2128297
>[
i didn't go inside. but i went all around it and took a cool picture sitting on the nose.

I drove back down to aqaba and went for a few more dives. Went to a shipwreck and went inside the shipwreck and found a pocket of air that i removed my scuba mask inside lol. It was a trip.
>>
>>2134783
linking an archived thread with 2 replies and no discussion, thanks
>>
>>2134844
>just use a bow
im not a faggot elf and it's not legal where i live
>>
>>2113075
Not really. It's just a gimmick designed to separate the gullible and their money.
>>
>>2136297
>found a pocket of air that i removed my scuba mask inside lol. It was a trip

lmao, I think I know which one you're talking about. Hopefully you didn't remove your regulator
>>
>>2136498

i did. am i gonna die
>>
>>2136591
Not this time.
>>
>>2136297
>>2136591
Cool! You found where I farted...
>>
>>2136701
imagine the smell
>>
>>2129618
I don't dive but I lurk these /sdg/ threads occasionally and are there a good few people out there who hate divers or is this anon autistic? I ask because I checked Desuarchive and Nyafuu Archive and that image has been posted a good few times recently.
>>
>>2136680
can you explain the dangers of doing this? Is it not harmless if done for a 15 second period?
>>
>>2137074
Both, but even a "normie" diver can see the humor in this meme. I've come across a lot of "scooobers" in my travels. They mostly end up as crew on liveaboards.
>>
>>2137225
You don't know the content of the gases in the air pocket (Methane, Radon, CO2, Etc); at depth/pressure these gases could be toxic depending on content.
>>
>>2137225
Radon gas is especially fun. It could take up 20 years to kill you after exposure.

Enjoy your air pockets ; )
>>
>>2114446
Very difficult to get into as an outsider and depends heavily on if the people near you run open training groups and such, the bigger issue though is that most of the people who are capable of helping new divers figure out how to start training are too busy being jerking off in their own small groups to want to do that, in 95% of places you pretty much have to be networked into the sport.
It's unfortunate that this is the current situation because it's genuinely a really nice activity once you get your foot in the door.
>>
>>2138423
this is fucking nonsense. Freediving is just extreme snorkeling. It's easier to find training, both in person and in media, than it has ever been. If you live far from water, you'll be harder pressed to find a freediving class than a scuba class, but it's nowhere near the elite club you're making it out to be.

Unless you're specifically talking about getting into the competitive side of it.
>>
>>2137074
that meme is just taking the piss.
>>
>>2138787
It really depends what you want to do I guess, pretty much anyone can do a 15-20m dive if they are shown how to do it right out of the gate and if you are happy at that then all power to you, but if you really want to unlock your potential and get to 35-40m or have 3min dive times that takes regular physical training to get to no matter who you are and even if your like me and don't give a shit about the competitive side you can't deny that learning how to do that is appealing, I find on average that once people get a taste of what they can do they will wash out from the activity quickly if they aren't given an opportunity to work on improving it regardless of why they came into it.

You can read online material and stuff and I'm not going to act like that doesn't do anything but if you really want to significantly improve your breath hold swims and your technique you need to be in the water regularly doing exercises, my biggest advice for anyone looking to get serious about improving their dive fitness would be to do a freediving class and then start asking around both your instructor and your fellow classmates how to proceed from there, some of them might already have/be training or running trips regularly (hell if you are really lucky you might even make friends with someone who owns their own boat) and are just there for the sake of doing the class and can maybe hook you up with something, it's still a small world despite it's growing size so the more friends you make who are also into it the better.

I will agree with you that its definitely way better than it used to be and it's improving all the time, the scuba agencies as well are starting to take note of all the free money they are missing out on and are more frequently running programs and workshops around it as time goes on too, I hope the momentum keeps up cause I would love to see more people get into it.
>>
>>2138787
>this is fucking nonsense.
it's not.
took a freedive cert course.
half of it was being berated about why I'll die underwater since I'm not a vegan.

The other half was about how the instructor is first place in a league they started.
>>
>>2114446
Literally just watch a couple vids on technique and equalization and go out with a buddy and start practicing.
Decent fins are like 40$ and a mask is like 25$
>>2138423
You're retarded
>>2138787
You don't even need training, my first time out practicing I was doing 10m dives and working on holding my breath longer
>>
>>2138971
I live in Michigan and we have a very small group of freedivers that have banded together from time to time to pay a dude from Cali to come out and teach classes. (Mark Lozano, he's a good guy). He's taught several beginner classes and at least one advanced class out here. It's the advanced class that starts to address the stuff that you want to know to avoid physical injury down deep, (e.g. one reason we tell you to stop looking up when you dive is so you don't tear your throat cartilage when you dive deep.) This is to say, if you can get a group of people interested, you can get trainers to come to you if you pool some cash.

I agree with what you're saying and I think that the "regular physical training" is the serious sticking point if you're a landlocked flatlander. We simply don't have a place to dive that deep. I think it'd be awesome to have a dive silo, and it'd be SO much easier to learn to dive deep in clear water, than drive hours to some lake with a hundred foot hole that you have to either bring a depth finder or sound with an anchor line to find, and then dive into the fucking land of midnight and death. (blackwater fucks with my head, big time). I'd say it'd be awesome to have a dive facility in the Detroit area, but Detroiters aren't known for swimming. So yeah, practice is the bottleneck and doubly so in the winter.

>>2139245
you can do a lot without formal training, and much of the material has escaped the walled garden that it used to be in, but it's still good to get good modern view of the physiology and stuff. I knew a lot going into the class and I'd still say it was worth the entry cost.
>>
>>2139136
I'm sorry. But don't blame freediving, you just found an asshole. Who was it? So we can avoid giving him business?
>>
>>2139397
there's no metaphorical walled gardens anymore with the internet, always someone trying to be youtube famous or a blogger that will give you all the info you need
and if you want to avoid the vegan mumbo jumbo just look for advice about spearfishing, it's the same as free diving
>>
>>2139397
>one reason we tell you to stop looking up when you dive is so you don't tear your throat cartilage when you dive deep.
It took way too fucking long for someone to tell me this and I was actually mad nobody did because it instantly made me stop my habit of looking down the line, they should be telling you this in the beginner class honestly despite it not being dangerous at the depths they go to, people should be having good practice nailed into them early.
Another example, PADI and SSI don't even introduce frenzel in their basic class which is ridiculous, most instructors go out of their way to introduce it to their students anyway in that class thankfully.
>>2139136
I find the instructors who do both scuba and freediving are usually the best ones despite them not being the most elite, because they are more into the fun of being underwater more than anything else.
>>
These threads need more dank scuba memes.
>>
I am going to make a 70 dollar makeshift underwater breathing apparatus out of...
>one pesticide sprayer pressure chamber
>3 straps
>silicon tubes
>snorkel mouthpiece
>a shit ton of flex glue/tape

Thoughts?
>>
>>2141609
Why do this when you could spend a comparable amount and make a re-breather with a bernzomatic O2 tank and some acrylic?
>>
>big scuba trying to convince me that I can’t scuba dive for 70 dollars

Nice try, big scuba.
>>
File: IMG_7241.jpg (1.05 MB, 3024x3024)
1.05 MB
1.05 MB JPG
The pipe, mouthpiece and straps are already here. The pressure chamber and Flex Seal Family Of Products™ will be arriving on Wednesday

(Hence the name)
>>
File: IMG_7242.jpg (1004 KB, 3024x3024)
1004 KB
1004 KB JPG
Why spend 70-200 dollars on dive weights when you could spend 0 dollars on:

>one used container
>sand (stolen from beach, cry harder fedboys)
>rocks (stolen from ground. Problem, HOA?)
>>
File: download (19).png (184 KB, 220x391)
184 KB
184 KB PNG
>page 10
Has anyone here ever heard of "LAMA" gear?
>>
Is there any legitimate reason to carry a pointed edge knife? (Just for SCUBA, obviously I know you spearfishing fags carry a tipped knife)
Line cutters or a blunt tipped blade just appear to be way more safe and practical, it seems to me like big fuck off tipped knives are more about image than actual usefulness, I kinda cringe when I see someone with a giant ass knife on their calf it's not like I dive in thick kelp forests or something just seems like mall ninja LARP.
>>
>>2143771
Call it a LARP all you want, but I sometimes carry a larger knife to protect myself from other divers. I've seen idiots who thought turning off your air at 100ft was "funny!" I'm my opinion that's attempted murder.
>>
>>2143798
What would you do if someone did that to you? Would you use your knife? How would you use your knife, would you stab a body part or cut their air hose?
>>
>>2143801
What ever I had to do in order to survive.
>>
>>2143801

Or protect yourself from asshole instructors...

https://youtu.be/vDJDaG4hWc8
>>
>>2143805
Fuck me, I would have punched that guy in the face.
>>
File: rsz_20200616_164043.jpg (4.82 MB, 4032x1960)
4.82 MB
4.82 MB JPG
>>2143771
I dive with the same dive gear used by Military divers, Navy SEALS and marine Recon divers. I get a hard on from actually LARPing as an operator frogman sneaking up on shore and scaring/braging to college girls and partiers on the local beach at night.
I use a Kirby Morgan Mod-1 full face mask and an aqua lung Combat swimmer BC with a used Dreager LAR V rebreather and a also an aluminum 80 bottle open circuit for a backup or when I want to go deeper than 20 feet (the LAR V is depth limited because it pure O2).
I don't carry a an octo or a secondary air source because thats unessary weight and also not stealthy. My dive knife is the same standard issue dive knife used in the Navy Ontario Mk3 which its pretty operator and solid as one can get.
I also own a pair of PVS-18 NVGs which are waterproof to like 20ft but I really don't feel the need to use them even at night. A decent compass does more than enough. But I use a mask mounted a NERD II dive computer too.
>>
File: 20210620_125355.jpg (3.64 MB, 4032x1960)
3.64 MB
3.64 MB JPG
>>2143940
>>2143798
>>2143771

This is only dive knife (ontario) I use and I wouldn't be caught dead with anything less diving. Outside of diving it's my everyday carry. Line cutters and hospital shears are an acceptable optional kit.
>>
>>2143771
>>2143798
>>2143954

You'll notice that Tec divers always carry blunt knives or use-specific line cutters/shears.

This is because pointed tips will hurt you more than you'll use them for "self defense".
People who feel this need have made the threat up in their head and have never actually experienced a need to defend themselves underwater.

Y'all should discuss your insecurities with a therapist.
>>
>>2144178
>You'll notice that Tec divers...
Blah blah blah. Tec divers ain't shit!

>People who feel this need have made the threat up in their head.
I've been around enough humans to know that they are a threat.
>>
>>2144178
>Defend oneself underwater

I carry it because it looks cool and its reliable/doesn't corrode. I carry a glock c with me on my dives if I feel like the area is really sketch.
>>
>>2144188
>tell me you don't dive without telling me you don't dive
Most divers that stupid are a bigger risk to themselves than they are to you. If you're not paying enough attention to avoid them and their stupidity you won't win the resulting knife fight either.

gitgud son.
>>
>>2144311
Clearly he's never heard of the subtype of aquatic scuba "joggers" that rob unsuspecting underwater for their gear or ambush them as they surface.
>>
>>2144344
joggers can't swim bro
>>
>>2141609
retard
>>
>>2143771
I have small peepee though.
>>
>>2144411
They are evolving.
>>
File: IMG_20210609_175533339.jpg (3.15 MB, 4096x3072)
3.15 MB
3.15 MB JPG
>>2141988
I steal wheel weights from cars and melt them down in my garage. You just pour the melted lead into cupcake pan
>>
>>2145726
The majority of wheel weights are made from zinc nowadays.
>>
>>2145729
you can tell the difference
>>
Story time.
Only had PADI Open Water back then. I was in Japan
>meet german expat with jap wife and kids. He CAN NOT shut up due to "ADHD"
>has stretched earlobes but with spare bolts, screws etc instead of discs as "life hack"
>hes a dive guide, invites me to go free
>gratis är gott .mp4
>meet up at tiny fishing port with ONLY work boats
>random shitfaced jap alcoholic gives me warm sake from sports bottle
>"hes our captain"
>hehe
>its not a joke
>his boat is a tiny centre console fishing boat
>"one time he left to check some nets we had to wait for him by the buoy"
>hehe
>not sure if joke, dont dare to ask
>target is US warship off Okinawa sunk by two visible kamikaze
>"its technically illegal to dive on war graves w/o a permit so be respectful"
>starting depth is... 50m? On air?
>german says ill be fine 50m is not harder than 25m
>last two divers are US gay couple expert divers
>"we'll bomb down no line, just follow my bubbles"
>bomb down in unfamiliar BCD type, hear alarm on dive comp
>check comp, rapid descent alarm? at 33m
>stabilize, look up, lost bearing, swim towards bubbles, alarm continues
>check comp, rapid ASCENT alarm now
>fuck
>look up as I reach for regula- bounce through surface from 33m
>fuckfuckfuckfuckfuck
>no medic, probably no oxygen, just a shitfaced jap and 1h boat ride to shore
>ok i have only taken one breath, if i bomb down again its like a deco chamber
>immediately bomb to 30m and wait for the boiled blood to reach my brain
>soon get narcosis and accept my fate as i hover above the german and the gays that dont even abort their dive
>surface like normal
>"you didnt go down? Had problem with ears?"
>"y-yeah"
>>
>>2145752
This was actually a date rape, anon.
That's why you didn't die from the bends.

Stay away from jap gay bars.
>>
>>2145752
Own damn fault for going down knowing something was clearly fucked
>>
>>2145778
Yes
>>
>>2145752
>no medic, probably no oxygen, just a shitfaced jap and 1h boat ride to shore
should've aborted the dive when you saw the boat.
>>
>>2146118
Have you seen any dive boats in Mexico or Honduras? Total pieces of shit.
>>
penis bump
>>
File: 20210624_134510.jpg (2.78 MB, 4032x3024)
2.78 MB
2.78 MB JPG
Today: Safaga, Red Sea, Egypt. Stay safe divebros!
>>
>>2145752
Are you Navy? Im a ships diver (subs) in CT.

How the fuck did you rapidly ascend from 30m to the surface?
Also there is no harm in decsending fast, if your dive computer is tell you that, then its wrong and likely shit. As long as you aren't in pain and your buddy can keep up. I always pregame Valsalva equalizing my ears right before decsending.

Sorry reading your post makes you sound like a little bitch and/or just inexperienced. 50 meters is advanced but not they way you desribe.
>>
>>2148880
>hurr durrr look at me I'm so knowledgeable
Not that anon but,
You're obviously the n00b here
>50m is advanced
160ft is well into tec territory bud.
>>
>>2148880
I've never heard a US Navy diver refer to themselves as a "ships (or ship's? ) diver"; I thought the proper term is "Fleet Diver."

>>2148918
For the foolish, 50msw is do-able on air, especially if using doubles. It's not the ppo2/OxTox that is the problem; it's being narc'd out of your mind a la Yuri Lipski. For the sane, 50msw definitely requires Tec training.
>>
>>2149237
>It's not the ppo2/OxTox that is the problem
>it's being narc'd out of your mind a la Yuri Lipski.
no, it's the Deco Ceiling.
More inexperience showing
>>
>>2129602
I use a mask with prescription lenses because bad eyes and despite working for some people, the water does not "fix" my vision.
>>
>>2149397
if you have a magnifying prescription (farsighted) the water won't help.

It will help if you are nearsighted with a prescription between 0 and -1, but beyond that it won't do shit.

t. a slightly nearsighted diver
>>
>>2149404
Yeah I'm nearsighted as heck, can barely see a foot in front of me without it getting blurry. Underwater without this mask (or glasses, lel) just looks like a hazy mess.
>>
>>2149380
Yeah. You're right. I don't know damn thing about GFs and the relationship of M values to ambient pressure. I mean Haldane, Workman, Bert and Buhlmann were all idiots. You on the other hand... you are our oracle of dive knowledge.
>>
>>2149380
Are you Woody Alpren? Because you sound autistic af...

I know you like to think in absolutes, but there is still much about decompression that is unknown.

I know you like to think that crossing that 40m line is like violating the neutral zone with the Romulans. You probably think something magical happens when you cross the 100mph threshold too. That fact still remains that many have dove to 50m on AIR and lived to tell about it...
>>
>>2149237
I'm not an ND just certified out of my rate to dive.
>>
File: GH010138_1623597464924.jpg (100 KB, 1920x1080)
100 KB
100 KB JPG
>>2149237
Forgot to mention you can qualify to go to dive school of you are attached to a submarine. Its not the same as going to dive school as a ND navy diver although its in the same building.
>>2148918
Kid I don't think know what a "tech" diver is since its a recent completely made up term when referring to decompression diving or dives requiring a helium mixture or dives requiring special gear.
But feel free to brag about that open water PADI shit to some uninterested girl in some feeble attempt to get laid.
>>
>>2149483
>>2149499
All those guys sound like fags

>>2149525
anything past 140ft is a deco dive bro
only fags deco dive
>>
>>2149543
ur a fag
>>
>>2150786
Yeah, I really need to quit smoking
>>
>>2149237
>I've never heard a US Navy diver refer to themselves as a "ships (or ship's? ) diver"; I thought the proper term is "Fleet Diver."
I have never heard of it being named such either. i know of detached divers though
>>
Just got advanced open water/nitrox/dry suit last week.

Planning on doing deep dive, wreck, night, and rescue and start doing tech this year.

This shit is fun, but the 3k of upfront cost buying regs and dive comp is gonna be annoying
>>
>tinnitus from clearing wrong once
It's been 8 years, dont forcefully clear your ears anons I beg you
>>
>>2151089
You can qualify diver as a collateral duty on submarines outside of your rate.
>>
>>2151767
>EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>2152034
What are the collateral duties of a collateral diver? Clean the barnacles off the screw? Damage assessment?
>>
>>2151767
Meh... The 25mm bushmaster on the M3 CFV took my hearing a long time ago.
>>
File: 1599497876.png (96 KB, 246x450)
96 KB
96 KB PNG
Free Willey Diving
>>
Sup /sdg/.
I'm planning a dive to the great barrier and I'm really interested in coral, it's fascinating to see in a tank.

What's the best dive knife for general utility while diving, preferably against calcium deposits?

I have a good collection in my aquarium from my local guy but I usually lurk on /diy/ and want to expand it myself and learn how along the way before it's all gone due to global warming.

Any recommendations?
>>
>>2154209
Are you saying you're going to steal coral from the great barrier reef?
>>
>>2154062
Imagine the smell
>>
>>2154062
God: great! I'll never get that smell off the fish...
>>
>>2154217
Enjoying what mother nature provides is not stealing anon.

I simply want to enjoy it before global warming kills it all.
>>
>>2151767
If you get into underwater sports you have to accept going into it that you are going to fuck up your ears.
>>
>>2152102
pretty much and not even, most of the time its looking for mines and recovering the ships bell when the drunk Engineer decides to drop check it into the water.

you also get paid slightly more.
>>
>>2154209
>collection in my aquarium from my local guy but I usually lurk on /diy/ and want to expand it myself and learn how along the way before it's all gone due to global warming.
>Any recommendations?
I would actually stick with a good pair of non-ferrous surgical shears and a hemostat if you are doing collecting. Also I would I get a caulking gun and tube of superglue.

Also as a fellow reef tank owner I want to point out that most coral particularly the staghorn/acroporas are not as colorful as you think. Most corals in the world are brown to greenish, the reds and blues are actually quite rare and are just propagated in the reef hobby.
>>
File: 1590299661271.jpg (76 KB, 960x665)
76 KB
76 KB JPG
I have never actually scuba dived but I do enjoy seeing stuff like this. Are there any youtube channels you guys would recommend on people going on dives and what they see underwater? When I try to look stuff up all I see are clickbait nonsense which I am never gonna touch.
>>
>>2156251
"Blue world" by that one guy whose name I can't remember.

Jonathan Bird?
>>
File: IMG-20210701-WA0020.jpg (311 KB, 1600x1106)
311 KB
311 KB JPG
Dove seven times on the Provence coast, it felt so nice to dive again after 8 months of that corona shitshow. I should pass my CMAS *** in august, they proposed to make me get it this week but I wanted to enjoy the exploration
>>
>>2156448
Yes that's him, thanks for the suggestion because his stuff looks nice and he spends his time actually underwater. Thank you
>>
>>2157165
Yeah, he actually dives for the experince and brings you along with it.

It's a little too "discovery channel" for me with the music and all of that but he's actually legit and not just a TV personality which is cool.

I also like that he sometimes uses meme gear (ree force fins) but makes an effort to never talk about brands/agencies, just the dive and technique.
>>
>>2157176
His corny attitude is a bit much sometimes, but really dig the cenote dives and his visit to the Georgia aquarium. I did the aquarium dive after seeing that episode.
>>
>>2157020
Corona is just a lame excuse not to go diving. One which will finally be gone once I get my vaccine next week.

Why am I so good at finding excuses not to do things I know I'll enjoy?
>>
Tec setup should be standard setup. Fite me.
>>
>>2160477
Not everyone needs redundant butt plugs
>>
>>2160477
single 2nd + no BCD + jvalve should be the standard setup, fite me, zoomer DIRfag
>>
File: 20210711_124543.jpg (1.3 MB, 1080x1920)
1.3 MB
1.3 MB JPG
Went snorkeling today for the first time since childhood. My tiny babby lungs couldn't blast clear back then, but it proved easy-peasy now.
>>
Bump.
>>
*coof into reg*
>>
Wetsuits are fun to pee in, especially rentals
>>
>>2166476
This oddly common and accepted, yet I've never done so (not even in my own) and consider it revolting. I guess this is part of the reason why I bring my drysuit with me on vacation, besides simply just preferring that over a wetsuit.
>>
>>2166476
When I'm in the shop alone, I rub my junk on the mouthpieces of the rental regs.
>>
>>2166586
There are 2 types of diver:
Those who pee in their wetsuits
And
Those who lie about it.

P-Valves are unreliable and trash, fite me.
>Drysuit diaper master race
>>
>>2166762
They used to be pretty unreliable, but are much better now. Regardless, what's so hard about holding it in if the dive is only around an hour long? Vile people.
>>
Anyone have a garmin descent 2? I have a Forerunner 945 and I like it a lot. Looks like the descent is basically the FR but also a good dive computer. I'd probably get the base model, no AI. People always recommend Shearwater, but having a single device I can always wear would be nice.
>>
>>2167394
Deco time bruh
>>
>>2167866

Get a shearwater Perfix with air integration and stop being a poor
>>
>>2167394
Peeing in a wetsuit feels good and warms you up.

Peeing in a dry suit feels good if you’re wearing a diaper. Pee valves have the somewhat large chance that a small fish swims inside while you have it open and gets lodged inside of your penis. DAN doesn’t cover pee valve accidents as an FYI.
>>
Went diving with a larger group few days ago. Visibility wasn't anything to brag about, but it wasn't made any better by everyone else unable to frog kick and kicking up sand everywhere, desperately picking scallops or whatever.

Swam away for a while, lost the group (it was actually kinda freeing), then eventually found them again towards the end by following the least visible path. No one even noticed my absence, lmao.

Was an otherwise okay dive. I'm happy just getting underwater.
>>
>>2107872
If you were listening during your course youd realise holdong while descending is fine.

But as a strategy to be down longer its retarded. You will find that the air wont be your problem once you get halfway decent.

To use less air.

1. Trim. Be flat and tight. Dont flail and use energy. Think torpedo. Just kick, be straight and parallel, dont have gear dragging obviously.

2. Use correct weight do a buoyancy check to get it right. Breath in and get yourself to eye level with the surface. If your bcd has too much air in it remove weight. Dont feel bad about asking for another or giving one back. As different oceans, your wetsuit etc. Will effect this. After you have done a few dives you should be able to figure the weight relatively accurately. Also, before doing the check ensure your wet suit is saturated. If you cant get down saturate wetsuit breath out relax and be straight perpendicular to the floor. Once you have the weight of the water on you it will be easy to descend.

3. Be zen. On the way down when all the retards are fixing their mask, ears or whatever other issue they have you will be concentrating on relaxing and your breathing. Obviously do your ears if you have to ascend a little if they dont.

4. Have the correct wetsuit. You dont want to be cold or hot. I get cold so always get a bit more then their recommendation for the water.

Thise things alone you will easily outperform your buddy and the other divers. Depending on the depth of your dives (assuming its not the cenotes or something very shallow) your air probably wont be the issue.

Actually, probably the most important
is dont be a retard with buoyancy. Dont be adding air to your bcd the check shoukd stop that. But I rarely ever go diving and see people with what I would say is a passable level of buoyancy. You see a Nudibranch and the retards cant get close enough to see it and if they do they hit the reef because they cant breathe or go backwards/sideways without stirring sand.
>>
>>2129071
Study part is a piece of piss. Do it before you leave though so you dont waste holiday time.

Dont do a discovery dive.

Wife probably will be told she shouldnt dive.

I usually just go without my wife. She doesnt have asthma but she is stingy as hell.
>>
>>2148233
by any chance are you diving with freedom divers safaga? one of the finest dive base ive been to. If you are, give Diko and the guys a shout out
>>
Stop kicking up silt you filthy casuals.
>>
File: 1472507444735.jpg (57 KB, 438x445)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>2107852
>I don't really see any third party archiving for /out/
https://archive.nyafuu.org/out/
>>
>>2172900
I bet you're some kind of split fins wearing faggot
>>
>>2173190
Excellent!

It seems I'm not the first one to make these kinds of threads either. Very cool. I'll be sure to add that link to any new thread.
>>
>might actually be able to go SCUBA diving again for the first time in 2 years soon
I'm stoked!
>>
>>2173593
Did corona keep you away, anon?
>>
>>2175193
He was busy transitioning and marrying his hairdresser, Gerard.
>>
>>2175193
yeah, I live in a country in Europe with few places to SCUBA besides some boring ass lakes.
Also usually only get to go once or twice a year but for the majority of last year either the borders where closed, or it would have been a big hassle. So decided to wait it out.
Also >>2175247 took a hit on my finances
>>
File: 1627216002784.jpg (70 KB, 1024x1024)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
Im looking to get PADI certified before the end of the year since scuba diving seems badass, and I have been entertaining the thought about possible underwater careers (I know you need to go to actual schools for that). I wanted to ask any international anons or travellers if diving is something worth basing trips around, like going to Australia pretty much just to dive for exanple. Im pretty well travelled (compared to the average American) and 2k for a class and my own equipment is nothing too crazy. Im hoping some anons can tell me if travelling to dive is worth it as well as how to travel with your gear (buy tanks at location, wetsuit in carryon, etc)
>>
Do you think the demon in this pic scoobs?
>>>/g/82728741
>>
>>2175784
>I wanted to ask any international anons or travellers if diving is something worth basing trips around
That is something only you can answer anon.
For most scoobers yes.
for people who only got certified at a resort to flex on people on facebook, no.

get certified, skip a discover scuba (unless it's VERY cheap) and that should give you an idea.
>>
Outside of the cost of gear rental and classes, what could I expect to roughly pay for each dive?
NorCal if it matters.
>>
>>2105851
I want to go scuba diving in the Persian Gulf in search of underwater ruins. Advice?
>>
Anyone have any experience drysuit diving? I’d love to do Iceland or especially Antarctic diving one day
>>
>>2177682
Classic mistake is to swim down, have all the air get trapped in your boots, then shoot up to the surface feet first. Takes a couple of dives to get used to maybe, but I honestly prefer it.

I think you learn to use it as your primary buoyancy device to start with, but honestly it's better to just do it the Tec way (AKA the proper way) and just fill equal amounts between it and your wings/jacket with one hand. Depending on comfort (maybe you fill a little more in your suit from time to time).

The hose goes under your left arm between yourself and your harness/jacket. That's the most important basics I guess. Do a drysuit course, pretty sure they'll require you to have it. Locals would have gotten it through the basic course, obviously.
>>
File: coast.jpg (98 KB, 863x575)
98 KB
98 KB JPG
I used to enjoy doing really light/amateur snorkel/free-diving (mostly surface) as a teenager, and I plan on going back at it (and perhaps going a bit farther with it). I have been years without visiting the sea too much (and I live close to it...). I'm mid-20s now.

I think I understand the dangers regarding strong sea currents, environment (rocks...), loss of buoyancy (if I get to the point of using weights and diving deep, in particular), pushing apneas for too long...
However I have a strange concern: animals.
What are my chances of being attacked by a shark or any other dangerous fish?
I am on the Mediterranean. It's always been a fairly tame sea, usually people is stung by jellyfish, and more rarely by aggresive weevers and things of the sort.

It's probably an irrational fear, since never happened to me as a child/teenager (in fact I've only seen one shark in my entire life and it was a passive benthic species, and not even where I live), but it's going around my head.
And since the pandemic thing has emptied the beaches quite a lot, I have been wondering if these animals have begun to approach the coast more often, and in fact some reports suggest this:
For example, last year a paralympic swimmer training around this region of the sea was chased by two sharks, very close to the shore.

Most of the coast here does not have an unusually good visibility (opposite of pic related), or can have a significant depth, so most often one can't tell what's there at all until you have it significantly close.
>>
>>2178645
Just avoid places where people fish on their kayaks or feed sharks, teaching sharks to associate humans with food.
>>
>>2105851
Just signed up for 4 dives in Spain
>>
>>2172900
How am I supposed to grab small animals off the reef without doing that?
>>
>>2179711
git gud
https://youtu.be/WFKQmjbwIH0
>>
>>2179709
Good for you, anon! Let us know how it went.
>>
>>2129618
seethe tanklet
>>
>want to go diving
>fucking loud assholes kept me up tonight
>too tired to dive
I'm seething right now.
>>
>>2183276
bro lmao you just breath
gitgud
>>
>>2183692
>fall asleep while scoobing
>drown
Sounds delightful.
>>
>>2184909
different anon
you actually keep breathing when you fall asleep, and your reg is held in by most people's natural tendency to clench their teeth whilst asleep.

it happens often to new students in OW sessions.
>>
File: Yonaguni.jpg (118 KB, 500x305)
118 KB
118 KB JPG
Any of you guys into photography while down there? I kind of want to try it but im not sure whats the best way to go about it would be. Should i get one of those deposable ones or shell out and get a good camera + solid housing. Might even try to get a cheap gopro since some offer reasonable waterresistance. Id like to use it for depths up to 30-35m.
>>
Considering solo diving now because my consistent lobster hunting bro just got a new pilot job and can no longer scuba consistently. Would you guys ever consider diving solo? I’m experienced with about 500 dives. Deepest I’d go is 40 feet. Yay or nay?
>>
>>2186494
Follow up. What do you consider a bigger risk: solo free diving or solo scuba? I would figure free diving is because of the risk of black out where you’re truly fucked. Meanwhile if I come to find my scuba gear fucks up I’d be capable of an rapid emergency ascent.
>>
>>2186497
Solo free diving. Shallow water black out is described by survivors as like a light switch. They get fished out by their dive buddies and wake up pissed off and confused because they don't know where they are or how they got there.
If you pass out without someone to help, you're done.
Solo scuba, at least the problems tend to come on a little slower, allowing you to try an ascent or whatever. I think the danger is you get in some kind of disabling trouble and then linger in the water until you die, if you can't get back in the boat or signal for help.
>>
>>2175784
Do an open water and do like 20 dives to see if you enjoy it before buying gear.
buying gear is only really worth it if you do it a lot (once a fortnight at least) or are wanting to go on to do a DM.
>>
>>2186497
People these days are generally ok with leaving someone with hundreds of dives under their belt to go alone in scuba, 99%+ of scuba accidents are human error.
It's still not advised but people won't give you too much shit for it, I would still do a self-reliant if you don't have it already though.

There is no scenario where any competent freediver would tell you going alone is ok, for any reason.
>>
>>2186441
GoPro works for me. You can get a housing for it that goes to about 50m I think.
>>
>>2186441
i got a good used cam with housing, bit clunky but when youre underwater you dont really notice how big it is anymore
cant really comment on disposable ones but id definitely recommend trying out photography
just have some way to attach it to your jacket or you might end up dropping and losing it

pic related, its my camera
>>
>>2175784
>I wanted to ask any international anons or travellers if diving is something worth basing trips around
100% worth it, I base all my trips around diving.
>>
>>2186541
>I think the danger is you get in some kind of disabling trouble and then linger in the water until you die, if you can't get back in the boat or signal for help.
Waiting for inevitable death under the crushing depths of the sea. At least freedivers lose consciousness.
>>
>>2186494
Go for it, I have around 300 dives and have started solo diving, its very relaxing not having a buddy to worry about and can spent as long as you like taking photos of stuff.

Just remember to know your limits and it's definitely worth looking into a redundant air supply.
>>
Just went for my first dive with my first regulator - an Atomic M1.
Noticing the seal is leaking quite a lot of what I assume is Christolube. Is this normal? Taking my AOW course Thursday, have time to take it by the dive shop tomorrow if I need to, but want to make sure it’s good to go for the class.
>>
I just got my FFESSM level 3, and its international equivalent CMAS 3*. Can you dive in any club with CMAS? The info I find is pretty confusing
>>
>>2193820
Just ask the club. Most probably won't check if you are certified for even snorkeling.
>>
Great thread scoobers
>>
Is it DIR to put 23 D-rings on my harness?
>>
>>2195594
Only if you put retractors on all of them
>>
>>2195609
I was gonna use them to clip stage bottles with plastic carabiners but retracts are a much better idea.
>>
>>2195006
Yeah, sure.
>>
>>2197106
Is this post DIR?
>>
File: malice.png (949 KB, 1280x720)
949 KB
949 KB PNG
>>2197385
I'll be DIR up yer arse, m8.
>>
>>2198266
That sounds kinky.
Are you gonna be my new dive daddy?
>>
File: IMG_40581.jpg (394 KB, 1200x1600)
394 KB
394 KB JPG
Professional diver here. Mainly do irrigation wet wells and intake pipes, sometimes tanks and lakes. But I'm looking for a low profile gadget or device to where I can strap a tank or 2 to my legs. I go into really tight under water pipes and spaces.

If any fellow divers have and suggestions, I'll be your personal pony tank
>>
File: 1619658047687.jpg (37 KB, 408x677)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>2198502
>If any fellow divers have and suggestions
Yeah, don't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEtbFm_CjE0
>>
>>2198502
>Professional diver here
>fogged mask
>normie BC
X to doubt
>>
>>2199073

>Uses paddy gear because umbilicals suck ass
> Goes into tighter places then you can imagine
>Swims in irrigation wet wells for a living in pitch black water
>Am definitely better and have more hours diving then you can even fathom faggot
>>
>>2199134
>tighter places than you can imagine
>on backmount w/vest
Lol yeah no.
>>
>>2199073
The BC and Regulator you use doesn't matter, 99 times out of 100 they are all the same shit internally anyway with a different brand name slapped on them.
>>
>>2129071
I did my open water cert in about 4 days
>>
>>2199342
Reg, sure
bc fucking no. If you're doing overhead environments you really should have the training and gear for it.
>>
>>2199370
We do. But we choose the gear we are the most comfortable with.

That's why I go with the padi gears it's easier to take off under water and carry while going in between or into pipes.
>>
>>2199134
>>2199342
>>2200657
>hyperfocuses hard on my comment about the BC
that fogged mask tho. I don't buy you're actually a trained commercial guy if you can't keep your fucking mask clear.

>resort gear is easier to get into places
nah. it's not. you've obviously never used any kind of backplate or alternative mount.

you might be getting paid but you're some dude who bought scuba gear and does dangerous work for shit pay b/c the real, trained guys won't.
or you're larping.

>Am definitely better and have more hours diving then you can even fathom faggot
then you would know you're basically looking for a shitty version of what actual divers call "sidemount".
There is a reason no-one straps tanks to their legs. If it were better the cave guys would have amended DIR for the 100th time to add it or tell you it's bad already.

>is super mega buttmad about my one comment
lmao
seethe harder. OSHA will probably make an animation about you.
>>
File: 1610470131696.jpg (335 KB, 2048x1652)
335 KB
335 KB JPG
>>2200888
>OSHA will probably make an animation about you
Cave divers are already making cartoon examples of him.
>>
https://nerdist.com/article/jason-voorhees-statue-minnesota-lake-friday-13th/

Ngl this shit scared me when I went scuba diving there
>>
>>2129618
>t. never scoobed before
Ok bud
>>
>>2200888
>Actually has a commercial dive cert from CDI

>doesn't realize what a irrigation well is and the pipes and wires that are in it, and how often you have to squeeze between pipes or go down intake pipes to check integrity.

>Doesn't give a shit about goggles because it's already pitch black so why do I need defogger.

>Doesn't realize how big a umbilical actually is and what a absolute shit show pain in the ass it is.

>Actually works 3rd party for the state and license and bonded.

>Get fucked faggot
>>
>>2200896
Yes because a 24-36 inch intake pipe is the same as a cave.

Fuck, your right, absolutely, I applaud you and your absolute correction on this
>>
>>2201245
>comes into a 4chan thread leading with "Professional X here" like a redditor
>gets jokingly called on it by one anon in one post
>proceeds to be extremely assmad and offended
>thrashes at like 4 other anons in this thread calling everyone a moron.

Please develop a sense of humor. Most actual CDI guys have one and are a lot more chill.

XX for more doubt.
>>
>>2201243
>asks how to do restrictions
>not with that setup
>proceeds to dick wave some cards
lol okay. To answer your original question, my advise would be to get a razor bdc. If you're not going far in you could do monkey sidemount long as you keep to your third.

>>2201245
>Yes because a 24-36 inch intake pipe is the same as a cave.
They will seem awfully familial if you get stuck with that setup...which is the point.
>>
>>2201245
I mean, I don't have a dog in this fight... But a 24-36" pipe sounds a LOT like cave diving to me. Very tight quarters, shitty vis, no light. Aside from being able to trust that the pipe will stay the same diameter and you won't have branches leaving the main, or random outcrops on the wall, it sounds very similar to cave diving.
>>
>>2198502
>>2201243
"muh CDI"
bro your octo or something is hanging way the fuck out and that's gonna get you snagged.
y'know, one of the biggest things CDI covers.

also
>Doesn't realize how big a umbilical actually is and what a absolute shit show pain in the ass it is.
this shows you're full of crap.
an umbilical doesn't have to have the heating lines and other shit. they are different sizes for different jobs. i.e. something you should know being "certified".
No-one here mentioned the umbilical either, except you lol.

Plus if the line being a pain in the ass is a problem, that octo has a similar effect, and you'd tuck it.
>>
>>2201243
>>2201382
>>2201425
>>2201485
Oh shit CDI LARP guy is gone.
Psst. Psst. hey, guys:
NAUI CD here, I'm trying to apply that fake christmas snow fogs stuff to my mask so my students think I'm mysterious and cool, but it keeps coming off when it hits the water. Any tips?

Also, If I start diving a KISS rebreather instead of a liberty will Gene Simmons come fill my sussy bussy with his family jewel juice or do I have to wait for the aerosmith model to make him jealous?
>>
Is it ok to use Vaseline to seal my mask against my facial hair, or do I have to use silicon grease?
>>
Wait why the fuck was /out/ allowed to keep scuba threads but mountaineering got moved to >>>/xs/? What the fuck jannies.
>>
>>2203820
wait there's an extreme sports board?
this absolutely belongs there imo.
>>
>>2203817
vaseline is fine, but you can also just shave the very top of the mustache. so there's a little skin exposed under the nose. Other people don't really notice it, but it allows the mask to seal.
>>
>>2203903
Many, many resources say the Vaseline as a petroleum products attacks the silicon skirt and causes damage over time. Is that actually true and something to worry about?
>>
>>2203908
if it's silicone it's impervious to petroleum products.
silicone grease is actually likely more harmful to the mask.
>>
>>2203908
I've never had a mask long enough to see any degradation. I don't know on what timeframe this is supposed to occur. I say it's a non-issue.
>>
>>2203820
didn't even know that was a board...
>>
>>2203817
>>2203903
I guess a full face mask is an option too.

>>2203820
>>2203854
We're sliding, but...

One of the main goals of scuba diving is to relax with minimal movements and exertion so you can enjoy your time underwater safely. Can you even call it a sport? Maybe if you're a tech diver seeking to beat some depth records, but most diving (even tech) is more of a hobby if nothing else. Being >>>/fit/ helps, but it's not a requirement. I've seen tons of fatasses diving.
>>
File: 20210707_112026.jpg (471 KB, 2016x1134)
471 KB
471 KB JPG
>>2204566
Tech diving is like that too. With cave diving, its very surprising how much more penetration and time underwater you get going slow as fuck and being calm.

>>2203820
>>2203854
scuba gets me /out/ more than anything else honestly...
>>
>>2204566
Scuba is considered an extreme sport by most resources.

it's not usually competitive but then again neither is paramotoring.
>>
File: seac-m70-mask.jpg (54 KB, 1000x1000)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
https://www.divers-supply.com/m70.html

Just picked this mask, fits perfect and petroleum jelly worked for my mustache. I am working on my duck dive for freediving. Thank you /sdg/.
>>
>>2204566
I'm not trying to derail your guys' thread here, but my point was that neither mountaineering nor scuba diving are sports. They're just really in depth hobbies/activities. But one got kicked to /xs/.
>>
>>2204566
full face masks are terrible options unless you absolutely need one for the job you are doing. They have huge air volumes, so they need a lot of your air to equalize. They tend to fog a fucking bunch. I think they're only really useful if you're trying to be completely sealed from the environment or if you need to be able to talk for comms.
>>
>>2204767
>the fog a bunch
I'm pretty sure that's the whole point of FFMs tho, they blow dry air over the lens eliminating fog.

Perhaps your LDS's air is moist.

they're totally a meme though.
>>
>>2200888

>OSHA will probably make an animation about you

top kek, also nice digits
>>
>>2206243
He'll be the next OSHA celebrity, like Delta-P.
>>
Has anyone dived at Biscayne National Park in Florida? Is it decent for mixed company of divers and snorkelers?
>>
File: seacarpet.png (1.21 MB, 1352x7132)
1.21 MB
1.21 MB PNG
Saw this cap the other day and thought of you guys. You ever see anything weird/creepy/spooky/unexplained while diving? Any superstitions or urban legends that you've heard about that a non-diver wouldn't? Doesn't have to be anything paranormal, I just like story time and this seems like a hobby that would have lots of stories.
>>
>>2208594
> Any superstitions or urban legends that you've heard about that a non-diver wouldn't?
The closest for me is when people teach new divers that "you turn the valve back 1/4 turn or the pressure will make it get stuck/chew up the seats/etc." .

It was true at one time back in the 50's when valves were shitty and made in a garage but hasn't been the case since the 60's.

Creepy shit?
I found a memorial that I wasn't told about by accident, despite being part of the same club as the guy who died.

Other than that and automated underwater machinery most of the creepy stuff I've seen is on land.
>>
File: 20190907_085244.jpg (2.67 MB, 4032x2268)
2.67 MB
2.67 MB JPG
>>2208594
Not really anything like that but dove bonne terre mine and that place is pretty cool. Story goes the mine closed in the 60's when the lead price fell thinking that it would open back up. Workers just left tools/equipment right where it was and so theres literally core samples/coffee mugs sitting on tables from where people were working and then just left.
>>
>>2129618
>look down on everyone who doesn't want to burn money on their "sport"

No that would be skydivers
>>
Signed up for my SCUBA class to get certified, did the online bullshit class...then I had to cancel as my job decided to ship me across the country for 9 months. Got my money back from the dive shop, but they said I'm out $100 because I already did the online course.
Whole thing kind of seems like a scam/gatekeeping as why can't I get my money back when all I did was read information and take some shitty quizzes, but I digress. Any one here know of any ways I could possibly get my money back or am I just SOL? Really wanted to dive too so this is just insult to injury by losing $100.
>>
>>2209428
Youre sol.
>>
>>2209428
Ask them if they'll give you a discount on a second class so you can finish your cert.
>>
>>2209428
>not cancelling your job instead
heh, filthy casual
>>
>>2109305
>>2109305
If you're in the area Troy Springs is fun, just keep swatting away rednecks and horseflies and you'll be golden. Never done Buford, let me know how it goes.
>>
File: garmin inreach mini.jpg (53 KB, 950x884)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
Redpill me on the Garmin inReach mini, is it better than having a Nautilus Marine?
>>
I ran out of air bros... my pressure gage was of 30 bars
>>
>>2210920
better than nautilus, not as good as PLB for SOS.
PLBs connect more reliably (3 types of location reporting and 2 standard SOS channels) and their SAR centers have government authority in the US, where as GEOS (garmin's) has to jump through some hoops to get, say, the local sheriff's office to come help you.

i.e. a PLB will usually get the local police/paramedics, or coast guard involved (airforce civil air patrol inland) whereas garmin can get that done, but can often times result in expensive 3rd party extraction.
Think of it as private vs municipal EMS.

You can get dive cases for both. The nautilus basically just sends a ship identification beacon with SOS status (similar to ADS-B out but for ships) and only equipped vessels will see you.

for SAR purposes, PLB>Garmin>nautilus, but the garmin can be used for non-emergency communications too.

IMO on it's own the nautilus is more of a "feel good" item than an actual emergency device but it's better than nothing and will probably get you help albeit slowly and from some rando if your boat doesn't have AIS.
It broadcast on marine VHF calling too
>>
>>2210964
did you get a hot 200bar, happened to me just today

>>2211098
thanks for the info, thinking I'll get the garmin because I can use it for regular comms as well. mainly getting it for diving in MX just to be safe
>>
>>2211658
I'm not sure I'm just glad I had a good dive master I hadn't gone in a long time
>>
bump to save quality thread
>>
File: apu_scuba.png (95 KB, 848x529)
95 KB
95 KB PNG
>>2211898
Checked my dumb claim yesterday, got 200bar with a hot tank and in the water it dropped to only 190bar. Maybe it's a combination of factors: not being over leaded helps shaving off an extra 10bars for me. Good thing you got a good buddy, but come on check your gauge and indicate when it's at half capacity.

>>2208594
Never happened to come across anything spooky or strange. Heard that a local diving celebrity tried the better part of his life finding Nazi gold in a saltwater lake here, never finding it and ending up with brain damage from decades of trying.
There's an abyss called "black bridge" starting at 30m tough that claimed a huge number of people. For me that's scarier than diving in a cave, because I can't think of a reason why it's deadlier than a regular deep dive.
>>
>>2213436
>can't think of a reason

Oh anon. I can think of several, but whatever happens in peoples minds will always be a huge part of it and never be understandable.
>>
I'm training to be a divemaster atm thru padi it's quite fun
>>
>>2214231
What's the prereq's for that? advanced and (x) specialties? Or can you shoot for divemaster right after advanced? I know shit about shit, I'm just curious.
>>
>>2214319
different anon.
Advanced+rescue
40 dives to start
>>
>>2214603
That's really not much, is it? Good luck anon!
>>
>>2214741
It's not for prereqs but a good DM class will have you working your ass off and learning most of it in the class.

PADI also cares more about pushing students ($$$) than quality of education, like most agencies.
>>
>>2214752
PADI has always been known for that. You gotta be able to talk to people, to get a gauge of how seriously they take diving.
>>
File: 1621469547330.jpg (44 KB, 500x375)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
Booked flights for jan, going back to akumal for cave diving.

Need to git good again, was sucking ass last time..
>>
>>2215053
Good luck, anon. Return with some nice pics.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.