[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_20210510_130725.jpg (2.78 MB, 2448x3264)
2.78 MB
2.78 MB JPG
What is the best /out/ meal and why is it cup noodles?

>post pics of your cooking setups and meals
>>
I fucking hate cooking outside, there is no way to have something of a reasonable weight and easy to prepare and clean up that is actually healthy

I would rather starve myself than have to eat rice sides one more time

Should I just say fuck it and start carrying the extra weight of real food?
>>
File: 20210507_092607.jpg (2.55 MB, 2560x1440)
2.55 MB
2.55 MB JPG
>>2104729
I guess you've never heard of dehydrated backpacking meals?
>>
File: 20190505_125944.jpg (2.18 MB, 4608x2592)
2.18 MB
2.18 MB JPG
Love cooking outdoors even when it's meme tier stuff like pasta sides
>>
>>2104591
I use a msr windburner to boil water for hot drinks and rehydrate food.
Also have a trangia and wood gas stove with ti cookware for areas I can have fires in.
>>
>>2104735
Comfy looking billy. Been thinking about grabbing that woods 4 pack but it seems like a bit much to carry for just myself.
>>
File: 20210509_080008.jpg (706 KB, 902x719)
706 KB
706 KB JPG
>>2104591
Outdoor soup is best soup
>>
>>2104591
Mix those with Idaho instant potatoes babey
>>
How are people content with eating slop?
>>
>>2104735
Protip: corned beef

Add to pasta sides mushroom stroganoff or to dehydrated hash browns or to instant mashed potatoes.
>>
>>2104758
You sacrifice a variety of texture for weight savings when you intend to hike a very long way.
>>
>>2104747
This is true.
>>
>>2104729
>chopped potatoes and carrots
>frozen beef stew chunks
congrats you've got yourself a healthy soup. the only issue is keeping the meat frozen, so you can only eat it on day 1.
>>
>>2104591
Peach cobbler in Dutch oven is god tier
>>
Based Appalachia OP.

I said this in another thread but its simple:
boil 500ml water, put ramen noodles in it until soft.
In large freezer bag put an entire package of instant mashed potatoes and the ramen spice.
Pour in the noodles and mush the bag with hands to mix.

Viola, a 1400kcal ramenbomb that cost $1.50 and you don't have to clean your pot. eat one of these every night on trail and it knocks me the fuck out.
>>
>>2105208
use jerky
>>
>>2104731
Having eaten dehydrated food for weeks at a time, those get old real quick and it does have a reputation for causing people to get upset stomach. A few things I've picked up on in recent years:

If you wanna go the Dehydrated route, I highly recommend eating a different food every night and try to limit it to being just a dinner option most days.
Oatmeal, granola and grits are great breakfast options. Bread and tortillas can go a long way towards making the dehydrated meals a million times more enjoyable.

I've stopped paying attention to food weight personally, The first day out I always bring a frozen steak or bratwurst with and some pre-prepped asparagus in a ziploc bag for the first dinner than I carry some frozen breakfast sausage or liver mush and eat it with grits and toast the first breakfast.

Protip: Farm fresh eggs can last up to a month as long as they're never refrigerated and are easier to find locally than you'd think. Also, a salt/pepper/spice shaker and a stick of unsalted butter should be in every Backpacker's food arsenal.
>>
>>2104591
I made steaks with my gf last trip i took, i tried searing in a cast iron but they were RAW in the middle. I cooked em over the flame and they came out p decent, gf was very supportive, also made some BOMB fuckin potatoes
>>
>>2104747
sweet pack
>>
>>2104591
>Cup noodles
>When way better ramen exists.
>>
>>2106977
True that. Also those styrofoam cup are a no go for me. I have a six egg holder thing that I take it doesn’t need to be chilled and you just crack an egg in your Japanese soup like they do in japan
>>
File: IMG-20210508-WA0014.jpg (343 KB, 864x1920)
343 KB
343 KB JPG
>>
File: pork_and_beans.png (1.09 MB, 1024x683)
1.09 MB
1.09 MB PNG
>>2107025
what is it? they look too smooth to be potatoes almost like they're pearl onions or gnocchi, but maybe it's just the lighting

next time i go car camping or not too deep innawoods, i'm gonna do some kind of upgraded pork and beans where there's decent quality pork sausages served with a standard can of white beans in tomato sauce (e.g. Heinz, Showboat, Van Camp's) which usually only contain a tiny cube of pork

and then maybe some eggs or something with it, since that's looking pretty sexy
>>
>>2107064
They look like vacuum packed gnocchi
>>
>>2107079
Gnochi is goat. Lil flour, some ghee (I smoke mine because i've got a smoker, adds some nice flavor) and it's a great meal. Tomato sauce, cheese, meat, etc. can all be added if you have it.
>>
Where are my vegetarian bros? Please share your ways
>>
>>2105495
Skip the butter and carry a small plastic container of cold pressed olive oil.
>>
>>2107098
They all starved to death from Fog Brain. Sorry m8, you’re the only one left.
>>
>>2104591
When I'm not packing for comfort, I pack canned soup
I've never understood the fascination with MREs outside of military/GTFO applications.
Cans are reusable instead of being a bunch of disposable plastic shit.
Yeah they're a lot heavier, but consistently hardier meals and don't give you the shits. Plus, you boil it in the can itself.
>>
>>2107116
MRE’s are pretty tasty and calorie dense. The fact that I can either warm the main meal pouch or eat cold is a nice option. The downside is that they are quite bulky because everything is individually wrapped and at times some small items inside are redundant.
>>
>>2107064
Potatoes, mushroom, garlic, cheese. And some butter.
>>
File: 81PWUPAU5jL._SL1500_.jpg (261 KB, 1500x1500)
261 KB
261 KB JPG
>>2104729
>I would rather starve myself than have to eat rice sides one more time
take the ramen pill, knorr rice sides are way too salty for me

with the right ramen + vegetables + sliced thin spam you can make it taste like a real restaurant meal
>>
>>2108301
Another underrated thing for ramen is peanut butter. You mix that in there and you got protein and some nice flavor.

t. MRE ratfucking pro
>>
File: IMG_20210515_164513.jpg (667 KB, 1280x960)
667 KB
667 KB JPG
Backyard grilling on the primus
>>
>>2107098
Ignore the trolls. I recently bought a dehydrator and have turned to making my own pasta dishes and a veggie shephard's pie. For the former, I break apart spaghetti noodles, cook, then dehydrate. Spread the tomato sauce across a Teflon sheet in the dehydrator, dry, then blend into a powder, boil mushrooms and red and green bell peppers, dehydrate. You don't want any oil in your recipe otherwise it'll never dry out. When I combine the dry ingredients in a ziplock bag, I add garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. For the shephard's pie it's easy. You can buy powdered taters so that takes care of that. Boil carrots and peas and dehydrate those. You can buy dried onions "beef" if you want. Then add the former seasoning mixture. With the onions beef, add some cumin in there.

Looking for other recommendations from those tired of being a slave to the pre-packaged backpacking food industry :^)
>>
>>2109213
I'm pretty sure you can make a mix of corn starch or flour with sunflower oil to make a stable powdered oil,
>>
>>2107025
based as fuck.
>>
>>2107025
Brought a JK Spon camping once. Forgot a wine key. Ended up digging the cork out with a pocket knife. Lots of floaters.
>>
>>2104729

there is nothing better than grilled sausage. Whenever I'm outside, I won't miss this opportunity because cooking it in a pan at home is not the same.
>>
>>2105454
Last line ruined me, lmfao.
I live in Japan and ramen here gives my asshole the biggest spray shits but GOD DAMN do I fall asleep right after
>>
>>2106994
Japans eggs are safe. Not sure about Mutt Eggs, Aussie eggs are sketchy asf
>>
For me, it's couscous with parmesan, sun dried tomatoes & deenz
>>
File: IMG_20210516_215204.jpg (436 KB, 1280x960)
436 KB
436 KB JPG
Pasta parmagiano with red pepper flakes garlic and pepperoni
>>
>>2104591
Get a dehydrator. Dehydrate cubed carrots and potatoes. Also dehydrate CANNED chicken. For some reason canned chicken rehydrates well. Tear the big chunks in half before putting them on the rack.

Put the carrots, potatoes, chicken, and instant ramen in a foodsaver vacuum sealer. Then you just cut open the bag and boil it all for a tasty soup.
>>
File: IMG_20210515_162641_771.jpg (434 KB, 1280x720)
434 KB
434 KB JPG
>>2104591
On last saturday I was in a natural reserve on a short dayhike with my gf. We cooked cheese pasta with tuna for our meal, using my trangia and then romantically ate it from the same pot. (We were just lazy about doing the dishes desu.)
There were a shit ton of ticks, I had to remove two from my gf afterwards and she removed one from me. Also, gf almost passed out due to her insulin not working the way it was supposed to for some reason and her blood sugar levels dropping to almost critical levels. (Fucking type 1 diabeetus)
>>
File: IMG_20210515_162644_160.jpg (211 KB, 720x1280)
211 KB
211 KB JPG
>>2110347
Here you can see the meal we had. It was pretty tasty, I must say.
>>
>>2110337
Looks tasty, very nice!
>>
first day is always steak and potatoes, after that its fish if i can catch any and ramen/instant potatoes
>>
File: DSCN0429.jpg (1.93 MB, 2976x2851)
1.93 MB
1.93 MB JPG
>>2111486
forgot pic
>>
File: stanley.jpg (22 KB, 431x606)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
What are your guys's thoughts on this? I'm looking for a new thing to cook with and I was wondering if any of you had experience with it. For the price and the ratings, it doesn't look to bad.

https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Adventure-Camp-Stainless-Steel/dp/B005188T90/ref=asc_df_B005188T90/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167119746601&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10437724355914160967&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9029042&hvtargid=pla-274601934713&psc=1
>>
>>2112078
For what it is, it’s fine. I’ve moved up to titanium so it ended up being a waste of $15 for me. The green plastic cups are heavy. The pot is too narrow in my opinion, and it’s easy to tip over on a stove. Wider pots, that you can stow a fuel canister inside work better, and something like the sea to summit x-mug are better cups. If you’re planning on cooking in it and eating out of it, I think you should find a wider pot (something similar toaks 1350)
>>
File: fier.jpg (913 KB, 1224x1632)
913 KB
913 KB JPG
>>2112078
It's good for heating up water, if you want for drinking or pasta use. I haven't used it in a stew sense, and I too would like someone who has to let me know.
A bit more bulky than you might think it is, and because it is a cylinder you will have to get creative how to fill it with other supplies to make it space efficient
>>
>>2112094
Aye, the cups that come with it are bulky and I couldn't justify using them instead of just eating out of the pot with my friend
>>
>>2111487
jesus, enough meat there fatty? enjoy the gout
>>
>>2112185
I bet you enjoy eating bugs
>>
>>2104729
Brauts/sausages (with buns) and soup are easy, taste good, dont require too much, and have minimal cleanup.
>>
I’m looking for a portable fire pit but not sure which design i prefer between these two. Any suggestions on one vs the other?
>>
>>2104591
Anybody know where I can get the trangia 2.5 L billy? They've been out of stock everywhere since covid began.
>>
>>2109213
Shepards pie requires lamb by definition. Beef is cottage pie. Veggie is faggots pie.
>>
File: FNLXxiw[1].png (352 KB, 1005x383)
352 KB
352 KB PNG
rate my setup
amicus is better than pocket rocket
pot is made of hard anodized aluminum, has heat exchanger
>>
>>2110178
Well I eat unrefrigerated mutt eggs all the time and I’m still alive. If I get a little sick that’s what Walmart is for
>>
>>2113856
I recently got one of these online. The instructions that came with it said it has a 5 day warranty. I think I made a mistake and will end up getting something better.
>>
>>2113869
I've never had problems with this setup
long time heavy user!

if you feel like you need warranty on a pot go for the $100+ jetboil ones lmao, way too costly for me
they perform about the same given the weight/performance ratio, so you'll really pay for that lifetime warranty
also keep in mind, it's a pot. value and price are two different things
>>
>>2106530
I'd try to let your pan pre heat longer and use less heat when you actually cook it. They will stay hot for a long time and need less heat when it's heated up.
>>
>>2110347
T1 here,, I bring gummy snacks and powered drink mix for lows. I've found emergency electrolyte drink mixes to help with highs since I'm always eating a bunch carbs on the trail.
>>
>>2106530
Sear both sides at high heat with ghee then take it off the flame and cover with a lid and let warm into the middle another few minutes. If you are at home you can sear both sides then put into the oven to finish. But I think with cast iron just lidding it works as well as the oven.
>>
>>2113829
Imagine being this insecure of your masculinity
>>
>>2104758
It is food
>>
>>2113856
How much better are those pots compared to one of these cheap kits? The stove it came with isn’t great though so ill probably get one like the amicus.
>>
>>2114349
Forgot pic
>>
File: keittoastasarja 0,5l&0,9l.jpg (183 KB, 2250x2251)
183 KB
183 KB JPG
>>2114353
I have been looking at a pot like this as well, for a small one persons cooking kit for solo trips. A local hardware store is selling these no brand ones (pic related) for 22€. There are Primus Litech Trekking kettles going for 39€ at the local camping store, so I am wondering whether to go with the cheap no brand one, or pay the double and get the Primus one. I haven't yet bought a stove either, but most likely I am going with an MSR Pocket Rocket 2 or something similair, small and light.

>>2113894
That time we had juice boxes and glucose tablets for her lows, because it was only a dayhike, but thanks for the idea with those powdered drink mixes. I need to find something similair for longer hikes, since there is no way we are going to carry juice boxes on multi night hikes. In Finland we do not sadly have kool-aid or anything similair tho, the only powdered drinks available are sports drink powders and ice tea powder mixes. Also we were thinking about purchasing an epipen-like glucose pen for her in case she actually passes out on the trail for some reason, so I could administer her with that for first aid, do you have experiences with those? Also, do you hike alone or do you have someone with you during your hikes?
>>
>>2104729
>dehydrate vegetables and choice of protein
>soak them for an hour innawoods and boil 10-20min
>you now have stew/soup
Easy as
>>
>>2112185
dude thats prolly a 150g steak
>>
>>2107025
Very fucking nice
>>
>>2107116
The only problem with them is that they're too heavy for extended trips.. You can't pack 5 or 7 days of canned food with you at any sort of reasonable pack weight
>>
File: REDCAMP-Folding_1-1.jpg (151 KB, 800x800)
151 KB
151 KB JPG
>>2112223
I have the one on the left for car camping.. Both are too bulky for backpacking.. Consider picrel for that
>>
>>2104758
Also a little slop isn't a big deal when you need to hit 8000-10000kcal a day
>>
>>2114599
You don't "need" that much unless you're hiking for months on end or are clinically underweight.
>>
>>2114564
I carry a glucose pen and a little laminated card that reads something to tune of "if found passed out administer glucose by pen to leg." Luckily never have had to use it. I only run that setup if I'm hiking by myself but if I'm alone it's usally a trail with decent traffic. Anytime I'm camping on/off the trail I'm with a buddy or two who knows how to handle me if I'm high or low,, kinda scared to get /out/ there and something happen. Insulin can act weird for me while hiking all day. Sometimes it seems like I can't get enough sugar,, other times it hits me way later than I would think. Balancing hydration, electrolytes like salt, potassium and zinc seems to be the way to even out insulin release.
>>
>>2107098
Not a veggie, but definitely veg heavy, boil veggies at home and dry them so they loose water volume and keep better, keep ‘em in a ziploc and pour into your pot for a stew, also keep a small jar or vial of mixed spices and herbs that you like to add some flavour to stews, additionally learn the local flora and forage:
>giant puff balls are basically naturally occurring tofu
>fireweed roots are nice when young
>burdock roots are kinda like potatoes
>Many flowers are edible, including daisies
>Nettles are also edible, stinging nettles need to be held over a fire to burn off the irritant though
>Some naturally occurring grains and wild grasses can be ground into a rough flour and made into porridge on the go or ships biscuit for long term
>Sunflower seeds are high in fat and protein
Be careful with fungi though, many edible ones have toxic lookalikes
>>
Roasted meat for short trips. Homemade dehydrated meals for backpacking. Instant soup as a side or snack
>>
>>2114564
>A local hardware store is selling these no brand ones (pic related) for 22€.
Are you against the idea of buying them directly from the chinks?
I have the same pots, cutlery and stove of >>2114353 pic (well, the pots have a different brand) and the pots cost me less than 10€ on AliExpress with shipping included. (arrived pretty quick too, less than 2 weeks)
But it's up to you if paying half for the same product is worth the wait.
After mostly using the small one I quickly realized having a lid would be pretty handy.
So now I either make a lid for them or end up buying the meme chinktanium/stainless pots that are too narrow to fit a gas canister inside.
Other than a lack of a lid they are decent for the price, aren't as thin as I thought they would be.
>>
>>2104747
dat larper pack
>>
>>
File: 1620544748742.gif (386 KB, 498x498)
386 KB
386 KB GIF
>>2114617
Exactly
>>
>>2114625
>Sometimes it seems like I can't get enough sugar
Yeah that's what also happened with my gf, apparently exercising boosts (read: even doubles) the effects of insulin. She injected 20 units (of carbs) worth less than what the meal was supposed to give her but the walk caused the insulin act as if she had injected 160 units worth instead of the 80 what it was supposed to. Do you use an insulin pump or do you just inject with it yourself after every meal? My gf refuses to use a pump.
>>2114816
>Are you against the idea of buying them directly from the chinks?
Not exactly. I actually didn't know that you could find them from aliexpress. Another thing is that I'd rather pay it with cash since I happen to have cash laying around. (Grandma likes giving me money whenever I meet her, thanks grandma.) Also, after 1.7.2021 the customs start requiring paying 24% of VAT and customs fee on every order coming out of EU area. And with my luck it would take 3 months to arrive. It always does with Aliexpress orders.
>>2114749
I need to get a dehydrator of my own so I could start making my own dehydrated meals for the trail. That would make supplying for those trips a lot easier (and cheaper).
>>2114831
What's wrong with the bag? I have had a similair bag for 6 years by now and it has never let me down. I have had it in army during field exercises, I have had it as my traveling bag (perfect size for hand luggage traveling) when I have gone abroad, I have used it in scouts activities and on dayhikes. Perfect for an overnight hike, given that you can source your drinking water from the area and it is summer.
>>
>>2115121
>Grandma likes giving me money whenever I meet her, thanks grandma
Based grandma. God bless her.

>after 1.7.2021 the customs start requiring paying 24% of VAT and customs fee on every order coming out of EU area
Forgot about that.
I haven't bought anything from China since April exactly because of that, gonna wait to see how it goes.
Supposedly if the VAT is already paid they won't charge the customs fee. But yeah, better wait and see how fucked in the ass we poorfags are gonna get.
Still, some sellers on AliExpress ship from Europe (Spain, France, Poland, etc.)
>>
>>2104591
>cup noodles
LEARN TO COOK REAL FOOD YOU LAZY FUCK!
>>
>>2110347
>for some reason
Physical activity burns sugar faster, so you have to replenish (eat) more often.
>>
My locall asian supermarket has self heating hot pots and I got to tell you it's changed everything
>>
>>2114816
>make a lid
One pot is the lid for the other.
>>
>>2115295
>One pot is the lid for the other.
You don't say, anon...
It's not like it's shown like that in all the photos and the big pot actually has a lip to accommodate the smaller one.
As I said, I mostly end up using only the small one. (as such I leave the big one at home)
And even if I used the big one, putting the small one on top is kinda awkward considering the pot is already precariously balanced on top of a small camping stove.
The simplest (and most fun) solution is to grab the tools and a piece of alu/ss sheet and cut a lid.
>>
>make food on 14’ collapsible grill
>bunch of bugs and small critters attracted by the smell of sausage
>scrub the grill plate clean, empty the grease plate and bury the grease
>walk back to camp and sleep
>wake up to racoons, ants, and owls all lurking around the tent
How do i stop animals from following me after i cook meat? I always make sure to cook at least a 2 or more minute walk away from the tent.
>>
>>2115422
14 inch*
>>
>>2112185
Euro poor detected.
>>
Havent done a lot of backpacking, but the few times I did, I brought some pot from home and turned sooty over a campfire. Now I'm looking to get some cookware, and deciding between titanium or aluminum. Aluminum is cheaper, but I think it will get ruined if you put it over a fire, unlike titanium? What should I do for a first timer?
>>
>>2116104
If you're worried about alzheimer's, stainless steel. If not, aluminium.
Titanium is a meme, you can't cook in it.
>>
>>2104591
hell yeah bud, ramen noodles with some freshly harvested seaweed (just make sure youre somewhere away from a municipal sewage outflow)
>>
>>2116104
You want a stainless steel pot. It’s going to get sooty though if you insist on cooking over a campfire.
https://www.msrgear.com/cookware/stainless-steel
>>
>>2116228
Can the soot be cleaned?
>>
>>2116812
it cleans up no problem. Try using a magic eraser (aka melamine sponge) on light stains, or Barkeeper’s Friend (oxalic acid) on tough stains. Oxalic acid will bring it back to like-new condition, super easy.
>>
i am super lazy when cooking out, especially when I bring my 5-year-old daughter with me. A go-to is wrap bratwurst in foil and drop it in the embers. somehow tastes better than frying it in a pan.
You can also make pies of all kinds using white bread. Try putting cherry pie filling between two slices of white bread, pinching the edges down to seal the slices together, then wrap in foil or place in a pie iron and roast in the fire. You can put literally anything in there: try sloppy joe filling, chili and cheese, bacon bits and onions, or chocolate and marshmallows.
>>
File: agree with OP.png (2.24 MB, 720x1280)
2.24 MB
2.24 MB PNG
>>2104591
new stove
>>
File: PXL_20210510_003213450.jpg (4.86 MB, 4032x3024)
4.86 MB
4.86 MB JPG
I just got back from a two week RV trip, I'll post a few of our dutch oven camp fire meals

Tortilla beer brats n mustard
>>
The camp fire chili was probably the best meal of the trip.
>>
On the last night we just threw all of the remaining food into a single pot.

Several packages of ramen seasoning and noodles, Hormel chili, wolf chili, sliced ham, whole stick of butter, refried beans, beer brats, Velveeta shells and cheese, salsa, serrano peppers, whole clove of garlic
>>
File: 075.jpg (29 KB, 680x383)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>2117418
>that shin ramen
>>
File: 20210429_163857.jpg (4.3 MB, 4160x3120)
4.3 MB
4.3 MB JPG
>>2104591
I don't love ramen but I do love an easy hot meal when it's raining.
>>
>>2117251
oh snap I'm making my five year old son blueberry pie next time we go camping, thanks anon
>>
>>2117461
Based and wholesome father pilled
>>
File: 20210428_210905.jpg (422 KB, 720x715)
422 KB
422 KB JPG
>>2110178
>implying
>>
File: DSCN0377.jpg (2.33 MB, 3500x2625)
2.33 MB
2.33 MB JPG
>>2112185
t. no friends lmao
>>
>>2112095
i got one for $10 a while back. is the esbit stove worth it for it? i have a decent cooking spot in my main hike location but im not totally innawoods so i need a relatively clean cook source like esbit or alcohol stove. might just bitte the bullet and get a liquid fuel stove.
>>
>>2117847
I have an esbit stove but I very rarely use it. The fuel smells like poison when it burns, I do not like it at all. Also, it leaves annoying residue to the bottom of the pot and is hard to remove from it.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (61 KB, 1280x720)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
>>2117847
>so i need a relatively clean cook source like esbit or alcohol stove.
go with alcohol instead
>>
>>2117864
okay
>>
>>2117864
is this worth it?
>>
Made burgers with carmelized onions for dinner one night then made sausage in a cast iron, eggs, cast iron toast, hash browns, and instant gravy for breakfast the next morning, it was tits. Just me and my buddies car camping so nothing serious, faggots in the site next to us listened to Metallica and AC/DC all day and all night for two days straight so it kinda fucked the trip. Scumbags.
>>
>>2115121
I use a pump and on longer trips, I literally can just turn it off for most of the day, until I rest or eat. Yea, exercise makes insulin absorb at basically twice the rate which is why exercise is so important for T1s. If she can get a pump, they're one of those things you don't think would have a big effect on your life, then you get one especially with a cgm combo.
>>
File: 20210522_181943.jpg (3.1 MB, 4032x1960)
3.1 MB
3.1 MB JPG
Tilquin, taters, tuna, and some weird spiced Norwegian seed bread
>>
>>2114597
I do have one of those, but i was kind of wanting an enclosed one for when its windy (seems safer than a stone pit), and also wouldnt have to build a pit if I’m at a spot without one. I think at some levels of firebans youre able to use those kind of enclosed stoves but not a campfire on the ground as well.

I’m also looking at getting something for backpacking. Picrel seems nice as it packs down pretty small and is slightly under 1lb. Other recommendations for light/small ones would be nice, might get it instead of a large one or just get one of each.
>>
>>2118407
Forgot pic
>>
>>2114831
It's great bag for a long day of hiking, anon. If I was spending the night or any longer than that, I'd use a Mystery ranch terraframe 50. I don't go camping over night any more, anon, so I'm fone with spending the entire day just hiking and enjoying being /out/.
>>
>>2118484
>I don't go camping over night any more
Why not?
>>
>>2118506
I've told this short green text in the past, so you probably read it.
>Friend and I go camping.
>friend says he's got to go take a shit.
>walks off to go take a shit.
>gunshot.jpeg
>go see what happen.
>buddie popped his top with a 12 gauge.
I stopped camping after that, only do day hikes, cabins, shit like that now.
>>
>>2118570
Jesus Christ
>>
>>2118407
>>2118431
You really just gonna ignore my post:
>>2117318
it's not enclosed, the bottom is open. when I was using it on a log the log started to char underneath. It is a very good stove, but it is not the one you pictured, atleast not the brand or the top portion. mine has cross to hold pots
>>
File: 20210525_115049.jpg (4.22 MB, 4608x3456)
4.22 MB
4.22 MB JPG
My wife and I make vaccuum sealed pouches of lentil dhal with added dehydrated vegetables and TVP (she's vegetarian). Also, oatmeal with dehydrated apples and maple syrup. Pic related is some hardtack I've made. Not perfectly shelf stable because I added some spices, but it will last long enough and is good added to soups and broths. I want to try doing stews with dehydrated chicken and veg too.
>>
>>2119005
I've always wanted to have sex with a desi woman while camping.
>>
>>2118664
How did you like it? Some of the reviews of the one i had posted a pic of said it was a little difficult to keep a proper fire going long enough to boil or cook with due to the size and no side opening. It seemed pretty closed as well, i dont think it would char a wood table or something like that.
>>
>>2104591
Oatmeal, also dehydrated hashbrowns make for a good breakfast.
>>
>>2104729
Dehydrate your own food then you gourmand cunt or shut the fuck up and carry the weight of food. Weak as piss!
>>
>>2104591
great way to absolutely ruin that kale, good job retard; everybody on here nowadays is some NEET faggot who can barely feed themselves without mom's help. bunch of fucking retards
>>
>>2107064
are you a fucking hobo? who the fuck actually eats shit like what's in your picture?
>>
>>2119485
Bongs
>>
>>2119048
there's an opening; pic related
I dont know what morons in the reviews are thinking, but if they are afraid to put wood in the large opening like I did, its always an option to just lift the pot for two seconds.
That said, I was able to boil a full 20oz fairly quickly with about a good fistful and a half of bark and wood chips
>>
File: new and old.png (1.46 MB, 1280x720)
1.46 MB
1.46 MB PNG
>>2119048
if you want something that's
>due to the size and no side opening
check out the esbit I was using for wood burning before this new stove. Was definitely able to pull wood burning duties, but it was a pain to get a fire started. I use it for fuel tabs like youre supposed to now, and those light up immediately and a full tab boils the 20oz
>>
>>2119524
I got the same one and think the hole should be bigger so bigger logs can be burnt instead of splitting everything a hundred times. But it works and I wouldn't buy another one.
>>
>>2119821
Any wider and I think the criss-cross beams wouldnt have room. There are longer styles out there that look like briefcases you might want to check. They allow for longer pieces
>>
>>2104735
>carrying a fucking kettle with
>>
>>2113856
>pot is made of hard anodized aluminum
isn't aluminium toxic if used for cooking?
>>
>>2117418
christ that sounds cozy
>>
>>2120188
No. There was like some questionable scientific information from like before the 2000s and it's just been memed since.
>>
File: 1591793049204.jpg (4.93 MB, 4928x3264)
4.93 MB
4.93 MB JPG
I'm looking for a long lasting high heat tolerant pan, cast iron obvious choice. What's the next step down in weight? Enamelware? I like cooking over wood coals.
>>
>>2120257
get a pan
>>
>>2120586
no chemical leeching for him
>>
File: IMG-20210525-WA0039.jpg (2.29 MB, 3264x1836)
2.29 MB
2.29 MB JPG
Instant mashed potatoes, dehydrated meat mince, cream cheese and tuna in tomatosauce for a "sauce". Great slop
>>
>>2118431
>lightweight backpack stove
>weight: 1 pound
>>
>>2104591
Is this the pinnacle?
>>
File: DSC_20180217_142738_edit.jpg (1.06 MB, 3264x2448)
1.06 MB
1.06 MB JPG
>>2120816
>the ""pinnacle""
>barely rises 800ft above surrounding landscape
what did they mean by this?
>>
File: IMG_20170216_111022.jpg (176 KB, 1440x1080)
176 KB
176 KB JPG
Did you get your trangia yet?
>>
>>2120757
considering its almost a foot tall, yeah .97 is pretty good for it
>>
>>2120257
Carbon steel pan maybe?
>>
File: 1521260632467.jpg (187 KB, 1024x792)
187 KB
187 KB JPG
>>2118570
anon...
>>
>>2118570
Popped his top on purpose or accident?
>>
>>2120757
Post something better. I mostly stay near my car since i have 4x4 and can get plenty out with that. But would also be nice to bring backpacking.
>>
>>2120919
This, they are light compared to cast iron and super durable, they are widely used in professional kitchens, lots of them have extra long handle, making them perfect for cooking on campfires
>>
>>2117318
what stove is this?
>>
>>2121248
https://smile.amazon.com/d/B01BPUEGNK
Doesn't do the wood gassification thing but it's 2/5 the weight and packs flat.
>>
>>2121266
TOMSHOO Camping Stove
>>
Is it worth making DIY wood stove?
>>
File: 1602396299375.jpg (463 KB, 1500x1053)
463 KB
463 KB JPG
Any idea how to make that grill?
>>
>>2104731
Goddamn I want to do this so badly. How do you guys choose places to hike? National park/forests? I want to go and cook food in the woods. What places allow that?
>>
>>2107025
impressive, very nice
>>
>>2121573
Aluminum dish with grill works great for outdoor cooking.
It's cheap, and easily available, and coal can give you very high heat for long time.
And the whole thing weight less than 200 g.
And you can still use it as wood stove.
I don't understand how people fall for the +100$ stove meme.
>>
>>2121572
seems like an awful lot of work when stuff like >>2118431 is under $30
>>
>>2121705
Not available for me.
And this just support the consume culture, which isn't what /out/ about.
>>
>>2121705
>30$ for steel stove
>diy cost less than 5$
>>
>>2121710
then by all means give it a go. It would be tough to make something that packs down as well but if thats not a concern one large can and then a slightly smaller can would probably be all you need. Just drill/cut holes into each of them
>>
>>2121572
Look into a hand drill to make one out of a log, way less weight and pretty much once you make it you have fuel. otherwise just buy a 11$ stove on ebay.
>>
>>2121715
>can
just make a fire hole, with grill on top.
>>
File: file.png (368 KB, 550x305)
368 KB
368 KB PNG
>>2121720
that didnt seem to be what he was asking for. Some places it can be pretty hard to get a deep enough hole.
>>
>>2121722
Can't be made from two coke cans?
>>
>>2121724
no, aluminum cans wont hold up to the heat, you need to use tin cans.
>>
>>2121726
I don't think small stove temps can reach 1220 F
>>
File: 1601991595622.jpg (2.62 MB, 4160x3120)
2.62 MB
2.62 MB JPG
>>2121572
I made a few for giggles from a step bit, awl and knife. Somehow they worked in 20mph snowy winds but they don't last. They become squishable from all the holes and rusty because tin can. Next one will made from coleman propane cylinders or aluminum co2 tanks.
>>
>>2121781
How long does it take to heat a cup of water?
>>
>>2121719
That looks awesome but with a spade bit and a manual drill it would take a couple hours. I could bring my cordless drill next time I go car camping though.
>>
>>2118570
lmao just go solo
>>
>>2104729
>catch fish
>collect edible flowers
>cook fish with flowers
>eat flowery fish
>...
>profit
>>
File: 1616605771536.jpg (501 KB, 794x2872)
501 KB
501 KB JPG
>>2121572
>>
>>2121841
This actually work?
I don't think alcohol can really be a good fuel source.
>>
File: stove_flame.jpg (8 KB, 615x450)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>2121841
tuna can is way more durable and less work

>>2121843
>I don't think alcohol can really be a good fuel source.
jesus how many fucking newfag cityidiots invaded /out/ since the covid?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pajkt594Ruw
>>
>>2121919
How much alcohol do you need to heat up that?
Also alcohol is expensive, and not available in nature.
>>
>>2121928
I agree brother
>t. Whisperlite international user
>>
>>2121930
I mean yes, alcohol stove doesn't stain your cookware, but it means you need to carry extra fuel because it dry fast, and it's flame is invisible in day light.
>>
File: 2021-05-28 15_56_58.png (1.51 MB, 1303x865)
1.51 MB
1.51 MB PNG
>>2121928
>>2121930
>alcohol is too expensive

>>2121930
>>t. Whisperlite international user
you should be ashamed, the international version can run alcohol too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3MfZY9Mwmc
>>
>>2121945
>the international version can run alcohol too
I'm well aware, I was being facetious
>>
>>2121945
>burning money
Wood is free
>>
>>2118570
I'm not trying to diagnose you or anything dude but coming from a guy with PTSD that sounds like avoidance. It's okay to get help.
>>
File: w.jpg (67 KB, 1000x1000)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
>>2121945
Just get pic related.
Cheaper than alcohol, safer, and even more efficient.
I can use it in winter camping just fine.
The tank last me about 7-10 days.
>>
>>2121970
Based kerosene poster.
I'm thinking of buying the stove version, I have the lamp and it's better than any LED light.
The downside it attracts insect.
>>
>>2121997
Burn citronella in it
>>
>>2122059
>citronella
Why?
>>
File: 1592944966584.jpg (1.04 MB, 1800x1247)
1.04 MB
1.04 MB JPG
>>2121782
On the small stove it took 5-10min depending on the wood. 3/4" diameter branches cut to 1" lengths was the best fuel. 36"-48" of a dry branch could make a a pot boil. Its kind of tedious to keep feeding it and I would never rely on it outside of novelty. The bigger one is also a novelty because of its size but would burn everything.
>>
>>2122116
Why not use coal?
>>
>>2122065
nta but
>The downside it attracts insect
citronella repels insects
>>
>>2122120
I don't know if a coal fire small enough to fit in that can would do the job, but you can definitely melt steel cans on a coal fire. I would experiment before relying on that.
>>
>>2122129
I think small 3-4 cubes of coal would add sufficient heat, without compromising the stove or needing to keep adding wood.
>>
>>2121665
Why the hell didn't I think of this? I have a bunch of these trays leftover from processing beeswax as well.
>>
>>2104591
>>2112223
>>2114597

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mg91VsButWE

Anyone ever tried using these? They seem like they don't take up much space, and work just as well as a normal gas stove. Maybe good for a day hike?
>>
>>2122353
You can go a step further and use pot grill.
I leave these on key point in trail/ public parks.
I've been using it for the last few years with no issue.
>>
>>2121573
>precure
I thought this was a kid show?
Also I understand the basic concept of the grill illustrated, not sure how to do it.
But I think it's portable stove that can even use wood.
>>
>>2122374
>They seem like they don't take up much space
That's true.
>work just as well as a normal gas stove
Definitely not.
They use alcohol very quickly, don't put much heat.
It's gimmick at best.
Alcohol stove are best used in labs.
>>
>>2122466
I use my alcohol stoves most. This is because I tend to go on day trips more than anything else. If I am in an environment that is permissive for a wood stove or fire, I like that sure. The last few places I went were not those places. I wanted something quick, dirty and small. A trangia stove filled up with a 1-2 oz bottle is enough for me and will fit in my hand. Yeah, they are slow but I pack a piece of tinfoil that I use for a windscreen. Not a big deal.
>>
>>2121508
The listing and the sellers answer to the question both say 1.1lb, which is more than the one posted above. The flat thing is nice but the small cylinder isnt so bad
>>
>>2121572
Yes it is, same goes for homemade alcohol stove, they work as well the one you buy
>>
>>2121843
It is a great fuel and it's cheap, you find it at gas stations called Heer, at the grocery store as fondue stove fuel
>>
What's the ideal cookware set to go with a Coleman dual fuel camp stove?
Unless /out/ has deemed that they suck. For reference I just want something I can take out to a quiet fishing spot and cook a hot meal for me and a couple friends during a day trip.
>>
>>2123145
My parents just use pots and pans from home with theirs.
>>
>>2123145
Anything really, second just normal posts and pans. Pic related was breakfast last week.
>>
>>2104591
Everyone knows Vienna sausages and potted meat is the best /out/ meal. Ill fight anybody that says otherwise
>>
File: 20181019_130720.jpg (2.59 MB, 3264x2448)
2.59 MB
2.59 MB JPG
>>2104591

SOSIJ and EGGZ

>>2123145
I use a GSI 2 pot stainless nesting set. Non-stick is for ultralight queers.
>>
>>2123161
>breakfast last week
>30 cigs and a bunch of beers

jfc you're livin the life
>>
>>2123197
If I’m not dead by 40 I haven’t lived life correctly.
>>
>>2104591
question for the dudes making pasta in those stanley cookware sets....what doyou do with the water you used to boil the pasta in?

isn't it a waste of water?
>>
>>2104591
just eat salami.
no need for cooking pot, cooker and gas.
>>
not dry, can't eat
>>
>>2123252
you can measure it so that you don't waste a lot of water

some of the Lipton Sidekicks tell you the exact amount you need so that it just cooks up and there's no left over water

also if you're near a water source then water is free
>>
File: 20181010_141738.jpg (3.37 MB, 3264x2448)
3.37 MB
3.37 MB JPG
Washington trail lobster
>>
File: 20181010_134629.jpg (2.82 MB, 3264x2448)
2.82 MB
2.82 MB JPG
Reject Lipton Sidekicks. Embrace mushroom.
>>
>>2120928
I don't blame you for asking because I was initially confused as well, but yeah, think about it. With a story like that you've got to take the omission of information as implying the worst.
>>
>>2123582
>lobster
>posts lions mane
what did he mean by this?
>>
>>2121841
>nails
>shows pop-rivets
this is upsetting.
>>
>>2121928
As opposed to gas cartridges?
>>
>>2124559
as opposed to wood/coal.
>>
>>2124562
>he doesn't mine coal on his hikes
Top larp.
>>
>>2124567
>mine
I mean compared to alcohol, coal generate more heat for the same weight.
Les explosive, and meat taste better with it.
>>
>>2124572
>available in nature
>>
>>2124589
Well in a way yes.
But packing it would be easier.
>>
>>2120186
not everyone are thru-hikers anon
>>
>>2119485
british "food"
>>
>>2111487
looks fucking great
>>2112185
what a fucking loser
>>
>>2105208
>>chopped potatoes and carrots
>>frozen beef stew chunks
>congrats you've got yourself a healthy soup. the only issue is keeping the meat frozen, so you can only eat it on day 1.

Used smoked meats (pre cooked - some cajun style sausage works great and flavors well) or do day one.
>>
>>2104729
Just get MRE
>>
>>2123611
It tastes like lobster.
>>
File: Hypomyces+lactifluorum.png (1022 KB, 1000x736)
1022 KB
1022 KB PNG
>>2126441
wow i'm retarded yeah good point
for some reason i was thinking about lobster mushrooms
>>
>>2111487
Settle an argument, is that pork or beef?
>>
File: yugoslav test.png (2.19 MB, 1280x720)
2.19 MB
2.19 MB PNG
Tested my Yugoslavian pot for the first time with my friend today. It is very nice
>>
File: no.png (244 KB, 554x491)
244 KB
244 KB PNG
>>2112185
>if you have a high caloric maintenance then you're fat
can guess you're not from /fit/
>>
File: hobbits.png (868 KB, 1024x576)
868 KB
868 KB PNG
Please recommend 1 pot recipies with no meat, I want to carry ingredients with me and not use any instant food
>>
File: 1622669987694.jpg (446 KB, 1240x1712)
446 KB
446 KB JPG
>>2104591
I'm looking at a solution to my cooking problem, I don't know what I need.
>>
File: 7f8.png (217 KB, 781x875)
217 KB
217 KB PNG
>>2127272
Potato.
>>
Pro tip use steaks as ice packs, and after a few days when it fully dethaws you get a nice steak dinner a few days in
>>
>>2121713
time is money, or do you not have a job?
>>
>>2124595
do you go hiking exclusively to the coal mines?
>>
>>2124572
>>2124595
I hike in anthracite country and if you actually went outside instead of LARPing you would know even soft coal isn't convenient for cooking, takes too long to get burning and by the time you get it started using wood, you have a useable wood fire

and good luck trying to light anthracite without a proper furnace
>>
File: 20210603_113037.jpg (2.97 MB, 4032x3024)
2.97 MB
2.97 MB JPG
>get a Stanley flask
>little weld spots on the bottom interior
Rust? Weld spatter? I tried cleaning it thoroughly and nothing is bringing it up. What sort of Chinese heavy metal poisoning will I contract from using this thing?
>>
>>2127272
1. Throw any vegetables and starches you want in pot
2. Boil
3. Add salt and pepper
>>
File: 1517674399595.jpg (1.75 MB, 1560x2194)
1.75 MB
1.75 MB JPG
>>2127272
soup noodles
>>
>>2127636
that looks amazing, but what can isubstitute shimeji mushrooms with?
champignon/chanterelle?
>>
>>2127965
bro just go to the asian grocer they probably have some
t. asian grocer pro
>>
>>2127979
there's probably one around 50 miles from where i live
>>
>>2127983
Portobellos are your best bet to substitute
>>
>>2127987
i think i can find that, thanks
>>
>>2127989
OR CRIMINI
>>
>>2127965
It's not going to be that different if you use a different mushroom. Texture will be different but that's not going to be that critical to the dish.
>>
File: DSC01747.jpg (773 KB, 2000x1333)
773 KB
773 KB JPG
>>2127965
forage or buy some oyster mushrooms
>>
>>2127459
>time is money, or do you not have a job?
It takes less time to create one than ordering or actually buying one.
>>
>>2127480
No, but 12 cubes of coal cost less and weight less than alcohol with much better heat production.
And in case of no coal, I can use wood.
>>
>>2127524
What about charcoal?
>>
>>2128306
Its not. On average coal has a lower MJ/kg (18-27) than ethanol does (27). Its also a lot bulkier.
>>
>>2128325
>On average coal has a lower MJ/kg (18-27) than ethanol does (27)
Coal has 32 compared to ethanol 27.
And most alcohol isn't even ethanol it's methanol and it's around 22
>>
>>2128334
Men, internet seems split on how much coal is, regardless its a lot bulkier and has to be kept.dry (ETH does to I suppose but its usually in a bottle)
Most alcohol isn't methanol it is just denatured with it, alcohol also burns cleaner and can be used medically or if you get grain alcohol you can get drunk off it.. Alcohol masterrace
>>
>>2128414
>regardless its a lot bulkier and has to be kept.dry (ETH does to I suppose but its usually in a bottle)
Invalid point, since I can make similar points.
You can coat it in wax and it would be water proof, the bottle could break for and alcohol would evaporate.
>Most alcohol isn't methanol it is just denatured with it, alcohol also burns cleaner and can be used medically or if you get grain alcohol you can get drunk off it.
The invisible flame is dangerous, and easy way to get burned or start fire.
And the "cleaner" flames isn't actual correct mostly you'll get some other stuff mixed in the alcohol.
Alcohol is good for sub zero temps and labs.
>>
File: 1613984260091.png (8 KB, 400x400)
8 KB
8 KB PNG
>>2128306
>>2128419
Want to know how I know you've never gone outside before?
>>
>>2128523
Sure.
>>
>>2128540
post ONE (1) picture of you cooking with a coal fire innawoods, without using an paper, wood, or lighter fluid as a firestarter

And no, your state park charcoal barbecue pit doesn't count
>>
>>2128543
>without using an paper, wood, or lighter fluid as a firestarter
How do you start your alcohol stove?
>>
>>2128546
one spark from pic related

how does a larper like you start your "coal fires"?
>>
File: twigs and leaveas.jpg (155 KB, 500x375)
155 KB
155 KB JPG
>>2128551
I rub dicks with your dad and generate heat to ignite the charcoal.
>>
>>2128560
Thats a nice picture crom your backyard, personally I like the weber chimney starters myself, they have more airflow.
>>
File: 2021-06-04 13_14_37.png (126 KB, 860x803)
126 KB
126 KB PNG
>>2128560
>wow, it's a photo advertising a chinkshit twig stove
still waiting for ONE (1) picture of your ""coal stove"" larpnigger
>>
File: 0_GP1906421.jpg (137 KB, 1200x1200)
137 KB
137 KB JPG
>>2128306
Who the fuck carries a bag of coal into the woods lmfao
>>
>>2128753
Your dad
>>
>>2128765
Based
>>
Stop LARPing
>sack of tubers (cassava, plantain, breadfruit, sweet potato, etc...)
>grain (bulgur wheat, rice, etc....)
>oil
>spices
>wrappings (banana leaves, corn husks)
>pot, grater

Throw tubers in ashes to bake them. Or grate them into mash then wrapping the mash (stuff with meat?) and boiling them innapot (think pasteles/tamales/etc...). Or just saute something in the pot, then add tubers and make a stew. Make a pilaf with grains. I'd honestly just go with starchy tubers--don't even need a cooking vessel for them. Think CALORIES CALORIES CALORIES. Tub of Lard? YES. Several cans of tomato sauce? NO. Bottle of oil? YES. etc..etc...etc......
>>
>>2128867
I don't know how long dry beans take to cook in the field, so either pressure cook them at home beforehand or just choose easy-cooking ones like lentils, split-peas, etc....Beans/peas, Tubers, Oil, Grain, and Spices should keep you going
>>
>>2128867
>Throw tubers in ashes to bake them. Or grate them into mash then wrapping the mash (stuff with meat?) and boiling them innapot (think pasteles/tamales/etc...).
All that work when an anime about high school girls going camping gives you a simpler solution: just wrap your potatoes and veggies in foil and roast them

have you never made baked potatoes at home anon?
>>
>>2128867
>>2128871
>Stop LARPing
>carry around a vegetable grater and corn husks to wrap your food with

also
>I don't know how long dry beans take to cook in the field

slow down there big guy, all your mountain-man make believe roleplay is making me laugh out my dinner
>>
>>2128867
Oh and I almost forgot you need an msg-source or an umami-source or whatever the hell you call it. Whether it be packets of msg mixed with other spices (see image) or bouillon, or fish sauce or onions sauce, etc…. Can absolutely rescue a dish to give it mmmmph. Won’t hurt to carry some vinegar/hot sauce too. As for spices: salt obviously. Something like a Mediterranean spice mix would be fine. I particularly like dried Rosemary, oregano, cumin, etc….As for breads, probably simple bakingpowder+flour flatbreads cooked on a hot surface pan is your best non-LARP bet. I would bring an imusa aluminum caldero if I needed one piece of cookware.
>>2128899
Potatoes are indeed convenient
>>
>>2128907
A grater is a ridiculously useful piece of cookware. Husks/leaves/etc… for steaming and boiling food is normal practice in tropical countries and beats foil. Certain Beans might take too long to cook that was my concern
>>
BIG pot
Beef/chicken ramen, preferably at least 6 packets if you can
Cut up some celery, carrots, onion
Get cubed garlic and onions sauce, keep the seasoning packets for later.

Turn stove on medium, gradually raise to high until boiling.
When boiling, put the ramen, chicken, celery, corn, onions, and some garlic in. Might want to go light on the garlic.
When it seems to get the noodle consistency, start actively stirring to one side of the pot as to not disrupt the boiling process.
When nearly done, put all the seasoning packets in, don’t mix flavors.
Take out, put onions sauce if that’s your do, pack in tightly to plastic containers once the noodles won’t burn through it, and put it in the freezer.
Get a mini cooler, be prepared for purifying water if you don’t have enough, and you have a perfect meal.
Was doing some experimenting on my off time and this tasted the best and had the best variety of nutrients reheated. Obviously make more than what’s in the picture. Don’t have any pictures of it outside since I don’t use my camera when hiking often, so I guess you’ll have to take my word that it’s great and cheap. I make eggs separately.
>>
>>2128871
Cold soaking food while hiking is a thing, usually for people who want to go stoveless, never tried it with beans but it'd probably work
>>
>>2121843
>>2121928
you don't use fucking whiskey you absolute retard, you use industrial ethanol you can buy at the gas station or hardware store. Undrinkable, cheap, and like 90% proof.

>>2121919
Cat food can (fancy feast) has worked much better than tuna for me. The dimensions actually matter, to get a good flame.
>>
>>2104729
>Not packing homemade Scottish oatcakes or a bag of pasta as source of carbs.
>>
File: dott.jpg (50 KB, 1024x682)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
>>2104591
Cold soaked couscous, aka taboule. Boulgour also works. A little olive oil. Salted peanuts and chorizo or salchichon. Oatmeals for breakfast.
>>
>>2117892
>burgers with carmelized onions
Hi Richard.
>>
File: 1600929137657.png (82 KB, 860x839)
82 KB
82 KB PNG
>>2129343
You don't happen to look like picrel do you? Just curious.
>>
>>2129352
Not that anon: but Ive hiked after Darwin's bubble twice now, that guy has the ego the size of a fucking state, he got BTFO'd of town at Kennedy meadows too for being a fucking primadona. But hey his production quality is okay and he actually hikes so WCYD?
>>
File: 20210605_114945.jpg (1.68 MB, 4032x1816)
1.68 MB
1.68 MB JPG
>>2104591
Just got back from Sweden

Its crayfish
>>
>>2129515
Sad.. sad..
>>
>>2108301
Your pic is degusting. They are loaded with chili pepper. Horrible. Throw a big bulk thing of these away from Costco.
>>
>>2129515
just one?
>>
>>2128419
u dont use alcohol, u use Methyl from "HEET" shits cheap, burns a clean blue, doesn't smell blah blah blah. i use it for soda can gas burners.
>>
File: IMG_20180414_183935.jpg (119 KB, 1200x675)
119 KB
119 KB JPG
>>2130276
I use methyl alcohol to prime my gasolin stove.
For similar weight I get more than simple alcohol stove.
>>
>>2130274
dont eat to much, you will get fat
>>
>>2130400
thats neat. see fire danger is huge where i live so u gotta use all these other things such as gas, or sometimes solar when even gas burners are banned
>>
>>2130935
And alcohol stove are safer?
>solar
You kidding right? Even wood stove would be better option.
>>
>>2130935
Do you live in a petrol station
>>
>>2130400
isn't methanol dangerous to inhale?
>>
>>2131233
Yeah.
You need very small amount to prime the stove.
You could use other options like wood or even gasoline.
>>
big bend emory peak
>>
>>2131260
the working hiker's shoes
the good /out/ist nood'l
>>
>>2131233
>>2131234
yeah regular denatured ethyl alcohol or isopropyl alcohol works just as well, a lot safer too
>>
>>2132504
>yeah regular denatured ethyl alcohol or isopropyl alcohol works just as well, a lot safer too
Both of these statements are false.
>>
Looking for a good stainless steel pic related who isn't shit. No Aluminium.
>>
File: 2021-06-08 11_02_20.png (45 KB, 1850x400)
45 KB
45 KB PNG
>>2132514
works fine in my whisperlite, but i'm burning white gas not kerosene
>>
>>2132521
>whisperlite,
That's capitalist stoves.
Great USSR stoves have no issues.
>>
>>2104591
Recently bought a large dehydrator and i've been making my own dried meals. It's really nice getting to choose your favourite veggies/protein to make a meal out of, just mix em in a bag, soak 1h and boil for 10-20min.
>>
>>2121919
I dunno man. I've tried making one of these a couple of times, but I just can't. Each time, after setting my pot on top, flame just goes out.

At the moment I'm using this design with a wick - works much better for me, no need for priming and I'm less worried about spilling alcohol everywhere:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz-3IX6inZw
>>
>>2132519
See
>>2116228
>>
someone feel like giving me a quick rundown on what to look for in a simple gas stove + pot, apart from the basics like size and weight. any reason to get a more expensive option?
>>
File: SSPX0127.jpg (263 KB, 800x600)
263 KB
263 KB JPG
Anyone use this setup from the army canteen set? Thoughts?
>>
>>2134603
Looks heavy.

Generally speaking I'm really wary of anything for army - often they're made in a very economical way (doing their job, but just barely), without any consideration for comfort. And anything with "military" in it's name costs more. Gear for tourists is often better.
>>
File: received_449943119551879.jpg (717 KB, 1080x1920)
717 KB
717 KB JPG
Crunchy fat i go nom nom

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.