[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 40 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Why are "24 hours survival kits" a thing?
You gonna tell me people can't go 1 day without eating or drinking or they go insane? Or first aid, etc. Wtf. You can probably survive a day by just sleeping under a bridge the whole time. If you find a place where you don't have cold and you can cover with bags or some shit

And if it's war not much you can do with some MREs, you gonna get buttfucked by chinks
>>
When there are retards with money, there will be smart fucks that make them think they need something
>>
>>2098121
They suck as kits when people should be building their own bugout/emergency bags for cheaper, higher quality and more relevant materials for their needs.

And yes its funny how specific the equation has to be to get the most use out of such a bag. Something has to go wrong enough that you dont have a reasonable means to acquire most of the goods as normal. But not so bad that you dont run out of those goods or have them taken from you.

From the looks of that one, the specific scenario i could guess is breaking down or crashing on a remote road.
>>
>>2098121
I could probably survive miserably for a month or more with everything in your pic, assuming there was a water source nearby.
>>
File: 20210308_105048.jpg (1.7 MB, 2560x1440)
1.7 MB
1.7 MB JPG
>>2098257
Also assuming a bear didn't come to rape me
>>
>>2098121
Think car trouble. You toss one into your car. Snowed in? Lost in the desert? Cut off by a wild fire? Hurricane flooded the roads? Tornado destroyed the highway? That's what it's for. Making your own is better. But if you're not gonna, then having one in your car is better than not. These aren't "bug out bags," because it's a survival kit, not props for a larp. They're simple safety precautions that are worth having if you live in an area where you might get stranded for a day or two before rescue teams come to get you. No: you prolly weren't going to die in that time from a lack of food. Water, first aid, a whistle and a flashlight? Absolutely things you should have in a kit in your car if you live in areas where you could get stranded.
>>
>>2098355
A bug out bag should basically have everything a survival kit has.
>>
>>2098364
A bug out bag is a meaningless prop for wannabe survivalists hoping to join a militia cult. A survival kit in your car with some shit to keep you safe for a 24 hours is just smart. There's not gonna be a Red Dawn. There are gonna be snowstorms, hurricanes and fires.
>>
>>2098386
>it's not for larp!
>listen to my larp-shit
>>>/pol/
>>
>>2098387
There are videos of the scenario he described occurring.
>>
>>2098260
Or a samsquanch.
>>
>>2098389
just keep a pistol in the center console you fucking larper.
>>
>>2098557
But keeping a gun on you is, “LARP.” The only difference between that survival kit and my bug out bag is that my BoB has some spare ammo, tent, sleeping bag, bivy, pad. Apparently those four items and some semantics make the difference between LARP and a, “practical measure.”
>>
>>2098376
>muh semantics
Literally the same thing fag
>>
>>2098386
stop watching Tucker, it's giving you brain damage.
>>
>>2098582
Survival equipment for fucking off to live in the woods is not a semantic difference away from "some water, a flashlight and a space blanket." Framing them as being within a hundred miles of the same context is about your little fantasy, pseudo-tough-guy bullshit, and has nothing to do with people who are smart. What larpers want: guns, ammo, multitools, water filters, ultralight camping equipment, flint and steel, et cetera. What intelligent people keep in their car: first aid kit, bottled water, a whistle, a flashlight, a spare and tools to change a tire. They aren't the same. They aren't even on the same planet. Smart people keep tools for a job handy. Bored larpers keep their fantasy stash of toys for playing cowboys and indians.
>>
>>2098600
>tucker doctored publicly available footage
Meds. Now.
>>
>>2098568
How is keeping a gun larp?
>>
>>2098633
Because apparently gun = wannabe cowboy/GI Joe.
>>
>>2098634
nobody whose opinion counts thinks that.
>>
>>2098634
If you wanna play with guns, then do. It's fine. That they're an important part of a survival kit is dumb. It's far and away the least useful object in your survival kit, and is primarily there because you're playing make believe instead of its value as a tool in modern life.
>>
>>2098661
Right, so it’s larp. I’m playing make believe by carrying a gun.
>>
>>2098568
>pad
You must be referring to your menstrual pads
>>
>>2098709
I mean I don't know you personally, anon. Maybe you're a cop or a forest ranger in Alaska. Maybe you drive a brinks truck. But if I had to guess? Yeah man: your gun is prolly just a toy, to you. You probably convince yourself it's serious business about survival or some blah blah, because the people Fox news warned you about. But most likely? Yes: you're just playing pretend that there's any reason at all that you're carrying one around. And that's completely fine! I like legos. You like guns. Do your thing. No need to lie to yourself about it, is all.
>>
>>2098812
If you weren’t a LARPer you’d know what it was referring to.

>>2098831
Who’d have thought, a few small items is all it takes to go from practical to LARP.
>>
>>2098832
>Who’d have thought, a few small items is all it takes to go from practical to LARP.
Who is saying it does? There's lotsa shit in my car that has nothing to do with an emergency kit. I've got my registration, car manual, an empty bottle of ice tea, coupons from when I walk to my car, get the mail and there's nothing good so I just throw it all in the back. Sunglasses, hair ties, prolly a couple empty cans of dip, handfuls of change, receipts. There's lots of shit in my car. The difference is not pretending that my receipts are part of my emergency kit, and accepting that it's just 'cuz I'm a tad slobby and there's trash in my car. You've got a gun in your car. That's cool. It's got nothing to do with an emergency kit. The larp part is where you pretend it does. Not that you have one.
>>
>>2098127
Also people should train with their equipment, like going out for a day or 2 day hike with it.
>>
>>2098836
If I say it is part of the kit, then it is. A firearm for the purpose of self defense is patently an item that is used in case of emergency. One’s life being in danger is an emergency, and it is an event that occurs. It’s not like I’m preparing for an alien invasion, or the eruption of the Yellowstone Caldera.
>>
>>2098709
Tell that to the pit bull charging you
>>
>>2098121
I think these are marketed for areas around active volcanoes like the Pacific Northwest and Alaska. Ash clouds from St Hellens knocked out power and caused shortages in municipal water supplies.

In some places you were basically stuck in your house for a day and had no power or water for a few days.
>>
>>2098661
guns are weird when considering risk man. I don't know where you live but the risk of not having a gun can have a REALLY long tail. meanwhile the risk of owning one, stored responsibly, is all up front in regulatory bullshit and minor opportunity costs.
for irresponsible folkx who can't help themselves yeah you're more likely to kys with a gun than have it save your life. but for somebody with anything to defend, having something lethal in a SHTF scenario is a necessity
>>
>>2099116
>Tell that to the pit bull charging you
Whos property are you trespassing on, to have a dog coming at you?
>>
>>2098121
Well, depends on how much work you plan to do in that one day I guess. I'd want to be well-fed if I was planning on traveling long distances or fighting during that one day. You only starve in like a week or two even if you eat nothing at all IIRC, but not eating reduces physical effectiveness pretty quickly.
>>
>>2098121
lol it's true, we've been primed through advertising to look at this and think MUH PREPAREDNESS but anywhere you could store such a limited and ragtag collection of utter bullshit, you could stash WAY better shit for a real emergency:
>a leatherman, gerber, or at least a fucking swiss army knife
>an actual functional hatchet/fire axe
>collapsing hacksaw w/ bi metal blade
>10x10tarp and stakes
>sawyer filter and tabs
>etc.
75% of the volume of these kits is taken up by 3000 total cals of fucking boogie wine mom snacks
literally this is for a 50 year old mom to throw in her SUV like she's gonna beat fate, like she'll be driving with her husband and they'llget in a car crash, she'll fly 50m into the woods use the emergency whistle and flashlight to find her husband who had been ejected 25m in the opposite direction clean their wounds up and bandage them with the 4 cleaning wipes and bandaids provided then eat southwestern flavored snacks while they play go fish and wait for help in order to maintain their regular level of caloric intake while they wait 36 hours for help? or maybe they'll stretch it if they think it'll be 72 hours. in any case you can't make sense of that water:food ratio, but at least they have a single n95 (?) in case one of them contracts tuberculosis.
>>
File: 1616264162031.gif (246 KB, 544x632)
246 KB
246 KB GIF
Does anyone actually keep a bugout bag here? Always thought I should have one. How often do you guys update the contents, or replace any canned goods in it?
Also: I know the basics you want but what are some unconventional items you keep in yours that seem like a good idea to you?
>>
>>2099146
Good gondola

I'm monitoring this thread mainly for advice on one for the car. That seems sensible to me. I figure:
>Car emergency kit
>Mormon survival stash in home
And then if I have time
>GTFO bag

The Mormon year's survival stash has always stuck out to me as a really smart idea for such a dumb religion. Everyone should do it.
>>
>>2099131
>complying with regulatory bullshit
>>
>>2099146
just have a backpacking/camping bag, and next to it in the closet also have a huge molle pocket with energy bars, more water filters, gun/ammo, expanded first aid kit, space blankets, maybe a camo bivy and army blanket that you can strap to your main bag in a hurry.
i feel like having extra water tabs is good bcuz they take up no room, they're good for a long time, and if you or anyone else you run into needs them they're lifesavers or at least time-savers. load up with long-shelf life energy bars.
>>
>>2099159
i meant the risk was in getting caught
>>
>>2099136
The pitbull’s.
>>
>>2099146
My camping bag is also my bugout bag. I dunno why people think there’s a huge difference between the two.
>>
>>2098121
>>2092741
>>
>>2099131
There are no shtf scenarios--that's the larp. There are minor disasters like freak weather, earthquakes and fires. None of them is a gun the least-bit useful in. Society doesn't devolve into mad max when disaster strikes. What actually happens is that people band together and help each other out. They try to rescue one another, share with each other, and become a tighter community. This has been studied and proved time and again. The only time civilization ever devolves to violence is over extended periods of famine where a significant percentage of the population starves to death. Short of that? Clutching your guns and worrying about the fox news bogeymen coming to steal your silver coins is the larpiest shit there is, and it'll just result in you being a paranoid cunt while everyone else is out trying to help their neighbors.
>>
>>2099408
for once on this forum this is a really sane post
>>
>>2099408
Remember that huge flood that happened in Texas a couple of years ago? The very first thing that happened is people immediately started trying to rob people at gunpoint by knocking on their doors and holding them up. Packs of armed looters were driving around breaking into abandoned houses and shit, man.
>>
>>2099448
Links? I don’t recall this. Having a gun makes sense, though. A bug out bag should serve as a camping bag and a multi-day survival kit. When camping, having a gun is totally practical, owing to wild animals, (or that murderer on the AT) and even when not camping, staying strapped is still practical because of wild humans.
>>
>>2099448
What you just said is false. During Harvey, crime in Houston dropped by 5/6ths. That is indisputable fact.
>>
>>2099461
He didn’t actually say crime went up, or even stayed the same.
>>
>>2099467
True. He spun a conspiracy. A story he tells himself about why he needs guns to defend himself from the bogeymen of conservative, talk-show media. Which is why I keep calling it a larp. Because it is. Guns are fine. Have guns. Shooting is fun. The reason they're in your "bug out bag" isn't about any real threat of violence. It isn't because the world might devolve into a post apocalypse wet-dream for wannabe militia-cultists. It's because you like guns, and the rest of that shit is just the make believe in your head that you use to justify it. And that's fine. But gun nuts who can't tell the difference between reality and make-believe are the actual threat.
>>
>>2099472
This is the fourth time you’ve alluded to Fox News. I was just pointing out that you were trying to strawman him.
>>
>>2099480
Really? It's a "strawman" to point out that his claims that the "first thing that happened" was armed gangs began robbing everyone, when it is factually the case that crime actually went down by 80%? You think that's a strawman? What, you think that Houston normally just has 6 times the number of armed gangs roving around so "lol well crime only went down more than 80% so what does that have to do with his idiot claim about roving gangs or armed robbers?"
>>
>>2099490
Yes. That’s a strawman. Your claim doesn’t actually disprove his. Hell, you didn’t even tell us what kind of crimes. All crimes? Petty? Violent? Etc. That was just a disingenuous attempt by you to mislead.
>>
>>2098121
Depending on location, 1 day with out drinking can kill you.
>>
File: pitbull mom.webm (2.75 MB, 1280x720)
2.75 MB
2.75 MB WEBM
>>2099136
Yeah cuz dogs are always on a fenced property and never loose.
>>
>>2098121
I don't understand why people even need to sleep if it's just one night. Or breathe, one time I went 2 days without breathing.
>>
TIL /out/ are evil dog killing fuckers

Disappointed in you guys desu
>>
>>2099577
>shitbull defender
Lemme guess, “it’s the owners!”
>>
>>2099566
I'd shoot both her and the dogs
t. stabbed 2 stray dogs with pitchfork when they came for my chickens
>>
>>2099589
Based farmerman
>>
>>2099461
>During Harvey, crime in Houston dropped by 5/6ths
crime or reports/arrests?
>>
>>2099408
Not the same guy, but can't say any of that is wrong
Of course, I don't think he quite meant natural disasters for SHTF. Those are definitely SHTF moments don't get me wrong, but they are a different breed. What I imagine for SHTF and guns is a wild animal trying to attack you or nignags from da hood. Weapons in general are ultimately great tools for survival since they can provide protection against those real threats
>>
>>2099577
faggot
>>
>>2099490
Not that other anon, but how stupid do you have to be to think that crime dropped 80% during any kind of event, let alone a natural disaster?

Its like those statistics a while back where the Assad regime was responsible for 95% of deaths in the Syrian war. Do you really never stop and ask yourself if these statistics make any sense at all?

I mean I doubt that society will collapse into roving looting gangs within days of a natural disaster, but thinking that everyone will go into the streets to hold hands and sing kumbaya while distributing canned food the moment a hurricane hits is a whole different level of retarded.
>>
>>2098121
I keep a bug out bag because I go camping a lot and its easiest to just keep it all packed together. Plus its nice to know that I could drop off the face of the earth for several weeks at a moments notice any time I want. If I ever had trouble with the cops, for instance, I could be gone in the time it takes for them to pull up my driveway.
>>
>>2099690
>I don't need facts I have my feelings
Cool story.
>>
>complaining about people having first aid kits
The entire point is that accidents happen. Never underestimate someone's capacity to be stupid. Some tard could tag me in a hunting accident 10 minutes into a hike, you better believe I'm going to have basic first aid supplies.
>>
>>2099152
>Mormon survival stash

Holy shit. The church itself sells survival food with 30 year shelf life for cheap.
>>
>>2099767
>facts
Can you independently verify that data?
>>
>>2098121
My fatass (5’9”, 328lbs) could stretch a 24 hour kit for a month and I’d be fine.
>>
>>2099408
One word: Niggers
>>
>>2098602
Seconded. If you can't understand that different environments/risk potentials require different preparation, just be quiet and try to learn something.
>>
>>2098633
>>2098709

If you aren't practicing with it regularly, and you aren't trained on how to stabilize someone who's been shot, claiming it's part of your survival kit is absolutely a larp.
>>
>>2100138
Self reply.

This is the mindset that you should already be embodying when it comes to any tool that your life or the lives of others may come to rely on. It is not the tool that will save you, it is the knowledge.

The kit is only as good as you are.
>>
>>2098121
it's not that someone CANT go for a day without that shit
it's just with literally 10min of prep you can have a set of gear that makes that 24h comfy instead of shitty.
i always have a 24h pack in the back of my car in case I break down somewhere remote and need to camp for the night.
nice knowing that if shit hits the fan I can jump straight in my car and be good for a day and a half.
>>
>>2098127
ah i just reckon it's a good thing to have in general.
it might never happen to YOU, but people's cars break down in the desert or the mountains all the time.
some people get trapped somewhere by bad weather.
some people live in areas where they have to worry about volcanos or earthquakes.
others have to worry about tornados, cyclones or flooding.
even a bad hail storm can fuck up your house long enough that you might have to grab your bag and sleep elsewhere for a night or two.
>>
File: 1616486719680.jpg (73 KB, 720x525)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
>>2098602
>>
>>2099131
i mean not all of us live in shitholes or in wild places like Canada/Norway where needing a gun is a survival thing.
I'd arguably swap a gun out for a fishing rod any day.
>>
>>2099146
>update the contents, or replace any canned goods in it?
I live in New Zealand. In the south island we have few roads and an earthquake or 3 days of rain can cause a landslip or flooding damage enough to cut the only access road to an area for a week or two.

just a year ago 2 landslides cut off the entire west coast of the South Island for almost a month. 1000s of tourists were trapped in towns population of 150 or so lol.

So i just keep a basic kit. My car has a flat bed i can sleep on too. Little gas stove for hot meals or boiling water and i keep long shelf life canned & dry stuff.

I mostly just buy stuff that lasts a few months, and when it's getting close I switch it out with new ones and eat the old ones.
basic shit like canned beans, spaghetti, instant pasta, instant noodles. sometimes I splurge and get a pack of two of those fancy dehydrated meals for thru-hikers.

main prob i have is water, cuz water just left around in bottles for months at a time tastes like shit.
got plenty of creeks and lakes near here though so isnt a major worry.
>>
>>2099408
What a fucking sheltered retard, ever heard of Hurricane Katrina? What about the riots of the past year? How is owning a gun for self defense a LARP in the slightest? I don’t even live in the city and I’ve had to stop someone trying to fucking jack my car parked in my driveway.
>>
>>2100138
Okay well I’m actually trained to stabilize it, and I practice with it. Besides, that applies to just about any gear.
>>
>>2099566
why couldnt someone have saved the poor kittenirino. also what a stupid slow bitch
>>
File: WaterBrick.png (187 KB, 514x279)
187 KB
187 KB PNG
>>2100243
>main prob i have is water, cuz water just left around in bottles for months at a time tastes like shit.
I keep two of these WaterBricks in my trunk. When I go camping I use them, so I change the water every couple months at least. But as a test on my last trip, I grabbed one from my garage (I have 6 of these total, 4 in garage and 2 in car, for hurricane readiness). The water had been in it for 2 years. Tasted just fine. No plastic or staleness problems at all.
>>
>>2100448
oh nice, might have to look into those.
i just use old coke bottles, which is why the water tastes stale after a while.
>>
Boomer money sink
>>
>>2099146
I have a get home bag in my car, because the smarter choice in such a situation (assuming you do not live in a city apartment) is to get the fuck home and stay put in an area you know well and can potentially defend. It's a better idea to fortify your home and set it up to be as self-sustaining as possible (solar, garden, small livestock, water collection, etc) than it is to go tramping around in the woods with like 5 days worth of shit before having to risk going into a dangerous area to get more supplies. Running around all alone is a good way to get ambushed and robbed or killed. Better to have and fortify a plot of land that can support multiple people for multiple jobs and more security.
>>
>>2099142
God forbid they include a baofeng in one of these... that would be too useful
>>
>>2099448
Same thing happened after Katrina, except there was a 50/50 chance the robbers were cops coming to illegally confiscate your families guns.
>>
>>2099490
>crime dropped my 80%
Wow good think all those criminals decided to take a vacation
>>
>>2099498
Only if the location is a dive bar at 10am and the drink is vodka
>>
File: images(42).jpg (7 KB, 194x259)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>>2099767
>everything anons claim, even without sources, is a fact
>>
>>2099408
Youre incredibly spoiled from living in a prosperous first world country. Remember katrina? Of course you dont zoomer
>>
File: 9k=(28).jpg (4 KB, 259x194)
4 KB
4 KB JPG
>>2102749
>burns down your home
>shoots you as you flee
>loots though the rubble
Nothing personal, kid
>>
>>2102839
>security patrol intercepts autistic arsonist retard at the borders of the property and smokes him at 70 yards using a night vision/IR laser combo before he can think about what a retard he is for attempting to go after a defended homestead without backup
>reports it to everyone over the radio and thus security patrols are increased and the next watch shift knows to keep an extra sharp eye out
>loot his corpse and take the hentai magazines for our own stash

Groups of trained and competent people do better against lone wolves, especially when those lone wolves take it upon themselves to go after a fortified and defended position
>>
>>2100243
Hello fellow south islander.
But yes water is easily accessible from out many streams and rivers. Even in the bush there are usually plenty of little creeks/streams.
>>2101137
You can get those bricks of water from basic supermarket like countdown. I have one in my house and one in my car.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.