[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 44 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: ozarks.jpg (137 KB, 800x534)
137 KB
137 KB JPG
Do you guys go hiking alone or with "friends"? Normies tell me they wouldn't think of ever going out alone.
>>
>>2096963
I go alone when it's small stuff, like weekend trips and day hikes, but for week long excursions I always take at least one fren. Going alone on long trips just sucks sometimes, and I'd always rather have a buddy there if I got hurt.
>>
File: 1618606383079.jpg (198 KB, 700x700)
198 KB
198 KB JPG
>>2096963
What the fuck is a "friend"?
>>
>>2096965
I get you. I told a normalfag about a trip I took an hour away and he said I should have brought someone with me.
>>
>>2096963
The whole point of going hiking is being by myself for the most part. Every once in a while i have a friend with me but i usually find that im forcing a relationship when i making hiking buddies. I had a brother who would visit sometimes and bitch constantly how it was dangerous to be by myself all the time. So we would be out hiking and he would stop people and try to make friends for me. He stopped doing that eventually and hiking with him stopped being awful.
>>
>>2096963
Always alone big or long trips, my point of camping is to escape and try to better understand myself, if I get injured tho im fucked.
>>
>>2096963
I go hiking with friends, but hiking and camping I go solo. If we're just car camping some where remote, friends is good for that.
>>
File: 34534748.jpg (1.84 MB, 1944x2592)
1.84 MB
1.84 MB JPG
>>2096966
Op's tripping dude, just leave him to it
>>
>>2096963
I don't have friends. my parents and other relatives are always nagging me to get a girlfriend to go with on my hikes and especially on my longer road trips, but that's not going to happen
>>
>>2096963
Alone is usually best, but im a bit of a wanderer
>>
>>2096963
With friends/girlfriends when I have them and they're into it. Alone when neither are available.

I move a lot and right now I don't really have anyone to go with. I'm trying to find clubs in this area, but it's not easy.
>>
>>2096963
I go mostly with my very independent /out/ gf, and occasionally with her normie wannabe /out/ friends. the normie friends that go with us are typically jealous that we can both go out separately by our own selves, but they are afraid of being out for different reasons (anxious dude is afraid of his thoughts by himself, which is a weird sentiment I've heard repeated by a fair amount of people. druggy gal thinks she'd be bored by herself.)
>>
>>2096963
Overnight alone is spooky
>>
>>2096966
hegheg why bite?
>>
>>2097154
yea if im injured its just time to call it quits anyway
>>2097313
haha who needs em
>>2097335
i agree
>>2097529
naw, the sounds of the swamp arent that bad
>>
>>2096963
I've done plenty of both.
>Alone
Obviously tons of day hikes and overnighters alone, but I've done a couple longer 4- or 5-day trips alone.
>with gf
now that i have an /out/ gf, i do most stuff with her.
>with friends
my best friends are all pretty /out/ and we usually do a few bigger trips every year together (me, two best friends, and each of our gfs)
>>
>>2096963
Only alone. I can't stand having other people around me at all times, especially not when I want some peace and quiet. Also, it's a hassle to find common ground sometimes. You want to go that way, the other wants to go another way. You wanna go faster, the other slower, or the other way 'round. I'm kinda fit, so I like to take a more difficult route that not anybody can follow.
Nah, I prefer to go alone.
>>
File: dawn.png (775 KB, 1080x790)
775 KB
775 KB PNG
I'm fine going alone but it's so much more comfy going with a fren. Pretty often I go with a fellow /out/ist and /k/ommando. Last time we went he smelled like he went swimming in a change jar so I'm gonna need to remind him to shower before the next camping trip. I guess that's 4channers for you.
>>
>>2096963
i go hiking/camping with my multiple personalities, they always give me the best conversations and answers, some people look at us funny but we're one happy group compared to them!
>>
>>
>>2096963
>Need to follow the path of least resistance
>Blast the rock with piss
>>
>>2096963
I always hike alone. I don't have any frens so that's really my only option.
>>
>>2096965
you can have a good spiritual experience when your completely by yourself for a week or more
>>
I always hike alone unless I'm doing a longer backpacking trip. Being able to go at my own pace and enjoy the solitude of the outdoors is huge to me. The people I meet on the trail always ask me if I've seen all the solo hiker horror stories. Don't understand why everyone is do against hiking alone
>>
>>2099043
or a bad one. but yes, definitely
>>
>>2096963
I strongly prefer alone. The only people I enjoy hiking with is my brother and dad. I take my wife occasionally but she just bitches and whines and can’t keep up with me. I love the solitude and if I’m hiking deep in the backcountry I love on edge feeling I get knowing that my survival is 100% up to me.
>>
>>2099197
>The people I meet on the trail always ask me if I've seen all the solo hiker horror stories
>>I've seen all of them
>>>licks trekking pole
>>
>>2099037
Same here anon. I hope I don't regret it one day.
>>
>>2100130
sounds like you found a keeper
>>
>>2100130
your wife is not home alone when you are /out/
she's with a BLACK BVLL and you can't do shit about it white boy
>>
>>2101233
Go back to pol
>>
>>2096963
There's a fat man behind the waterfall
>>
>>2102314
>Ozarks
Well duh
>>
>>2101233
Fuck off. More importantly go outside.
>>
>>2101127
Which will you regret more, hiking alone, or not hiking at all?
>>
>>2096963
Only friends I need are the voices in my head.
>>
>>2096963
you confuse "normies" with raging extroverts ans insecure kids who cant function without being in a group. just normal people have no problem going for a hike all alone, but they actually have friends and often it naturally turns into a 2 or 3 people hike.
>>
>>2097466
>anxious dude is afraid of his thoughts by himself, which is a weird sentiment I've heard repeated by a fair amount of people
could you elaborate?
>>
Thru-hiking and going out for drives/walks/rides after dark in the early morning hours are the closest activities that I'll ever get to experiencing something like being the last living man. There were a few days during the lockdown that simulated it pretty well. And snow storms are always great for that. I love how quiet and peaceful everything can be. It makes me sad that it's not like that all the time.

Being alone is max comfy, but I'm an extreme introvert. It's so much fun to be an adult, have money, and do whatever you want without having to run it by someone first. You can start and stop when you want, make impulsive decisions, there's no need for compromise (like where to eat), and so on.

If I woke up one morning and everyone had vanished (ignoring kill switches on nukes and other such catastrophes), it would be the happiest day of my life. I'd grab my gear and hit the road without even thinking twice about it. I see no reason why I would ever return. I don't think I'd ever stop moving except to sleep and rest. It's sometimes nice to stay at a hotel for a few days while the weather clears. I love those days when you wake up and you know you're about to be back on the road after a short hiatus.

Think about all the shit you could get into. I'd go for motorcycle rides throughout Hollywood and break into celebrity's homes like in Zombieland.
>>
>>2096963
both. If you don't appreciate friends you deserve to be kicked to death by angry horses.
>>
I do both. Although most of the time I go "alone" it is with my two girls(3 and 4), so we are limited to about two miles of hiking before an extended break.
>>
>>2096963
absolutely. being /out alone is immeasurably better than not being /out at all.
>>
>>2096966
the hedgehog's dilemma
>>
>>2096963
Alone, I could do either but I like going alone so I can do my own shit and be on my own pace. Whether you’re comfortable going alone or not basically depends on whether you have the mental switch of going hobo mode ready to be used or not.
>>
>>2103161
I've heard people being afraid of their inner monologue, and people without claiming it's schizophrenia because you "hear voices in your head", as they can't really imagine it. I guess there are people who have sort of a "detached" inner monologue where they can't or won't identify their own thoughts.
Or maybe he just gets depressed without distraction and would end up killing himself.
>>
>>2101233
wtf is wrong with your brain
>>
>>2096963
I usually go alone because no one will go with me.
>>
I don't go hiking.

I don't want to go alone, it drives me mad to be stuck with my own thoughts for hours and it's probably also boring.
And because I don't have anyone to go with, I never go anywhere.

I THINK that I could go alone if I had a rich social life, as some sort of relaxation from social interaction, but that isn't the case, at all. I'm constantly starved for social interaction, so I won't get the relaxation and enjoying thinking about stuff effect, it'll just feel bad.
>>
Both. I go with friends to campgrounds or on trails a few times during summer. But i love going back country camping and noone wants to go with me so i go solo. Its nice and relaxing plus you dont have to wait for anyone just move at your own pace.
>>
Hiking bonds me with my old highschool friend, so we go hiking and camping few times a year. Then I may make some one day/night trips by myself.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.