[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: morels.jpg (199 KB, 409x419)
199 KB
199 KB JPG
I'm planning on foraging for morels for my first time. Do any of you have any tips for where specifically I should look in order to increase my chances of finding some. I live in South East Ontario if that's relevant.
>>
sand soil and recent forest fire
>>
>>2096432
>morels
can you get high from these?
>>
File: Download (1).jpg (1.88 MB, 6000x3376)
1.88 MB
1.88 MB JPG
Pic related seem to like the same soil. They are also a good indicator for when the season starts, at least where I live. If they aren't around yet, then neither are morels.
>>
>>2097522
No.

>>2096432
Yesterday I went to the woods looking for morels and couldn't find any mushrooms whatsoever, not even toxic ones.
How much time do you usually spend looking for mushrooms before you find them? I was in the woods for about 2 hours...
>>
around recently deceased or nearly deceased elms
>>
>>2098187
Wait for rain and go the day after, for example here in serbia we had cold weather with only little drizzles of rain, so the ground was not good yet for shrooms. Morels and some boletus start in early may, but shrooms start really popping up at the end of may/start of june
>>
>>2098274
Thanks, I guess I gotta wait for rain then
>>
File: morels.jpg (828 KB, 4608x3456)
828 KB
828 KB JPG
>>2096432
You need to be in an area that has been hit with forest fire the previous year. Go after it has rained and bring your mushroom eyes.
>>
Recently disturbed soil after rain. Right now is when you should be looking
>>
If I've never hunted morels before, is there anything I need to watch out for that might be dangerous?
>>
>>2098637
false morels
>>
>>2098637
The existential dread of living
>>
>>2098880
damn i wish you hadn't reminded me
>>
>>2098637
False morels, but there aren't many that really fall into the category.

The basic rule of thumb is the stem and body should be hollow.
>>
>>2096432
Greenburgs approves!
>>
As previously mentioned, dead elms are a good start. If you can find a woods with cottonwoods, elm, and appletrees then you're in a good spot. South facing hills and in low drainage areas with these trees should be pretty hot. Sandy soil with lots of organic matter is also a big plus. If its easy to walk around you're probably not in the right spot

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.