[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: HGM op 9.jpg (146 KB, 765x612)
146 KB
146 KB JPG
Previous thread:
>>2090078

USDA Hardiness Zone Map: https://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/
Koppen Climate Map: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fb/K%C3%B6ppen_World_Map_High_Resolution.png

Search terms:
Agrarian, Agriculture, Agrology, Agronomy, Aquaculture, Aquaponics, Berkeley Method Hot Composting, Cold Frames, Companion Planting, Composting, Container Gardening, Co-operative Farming, Core Gardening Method, Cultivation, Deep Water Culture (DWC), Dry Farming, Espalier, Farmer's Market, Forest Gardening, Forestry, Fungiculture, Geoponics, Greenhouses, Homesteading, Horticulture, Hot Boxes, Hugelkultur, Humanure, Hydroponic Dutch Bucket System, Hydroponics, Keyhole Garden, Korean Natural Farming, Kratky Method, Landscaping, Lasagna Gardening, Ley Farming, Market Garden, Mulching, No-till Method, Ollas Irrigation, Orchard, Permaculture, Polyculture, Polytunnels, Propagation, Rain Gutter Garden, Raised Beds, Ranch, Rooftop Gardening, Ruth Stout Garden, Sharecropping, Shifting Cultivation, Soil-bag Gardening, Square Foot Gardening, Stale Seed Bed, Straw Bale Gardening, Subsistence Agriculture, Sugar Bush, Truck Farming, Vermiculture, Vertical Gardening, Window Frame Garden, Windrow Composting

Alpaca, Animal Husbandry, Antelope, Beefalo, Black Soldier Fly (BSF), Brushturkey, Cattle, Cavy, Chickens, Coypu, Crayfish, Curassow, Dairy, Deer, Donkey, Dove, Duck, Emu, Feeder Insect, Fish, Game Bird, Geese, Giant Guinea Pig (Cuy), Goat, Grouse, Guan, Guineafowl, Hedgehog, Heliciculture, Honey Bee, Iguanas, Llama, Ostrich, Partridge, Pheasant, Pigeon, Pig, Poultry, Quail/Bobwhite, Rabbits, Sheep, Silkworm, Snail, Toad, Trumpeter, Turkey, Worm

Resources:
General Info & Anon-created Guides: https://pastebin.com/Mvfh8b87

Archives:
1-191:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/5e8dcue3a9e1wzg
192-201:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/2i45hpg3h46rraw
>>
Who else is out here growing oyster mushies
>>
Anybody ever tried hugelkulture or however you spell it? Seems like it would sap away a lot of nitrogen from the surface, no?
>>
File: 5$panels.jpg (118 KB, 1135x756)
118 KB
118 KB JPG
5$ LED 70w 12v Panel person here. I live on a planet where this is legal, you just have to remove all identifiable information. A snail I am taking care of is living in my seedling growhouse temporarily.
>>
>>2096384
Wow a drug addict how unique. Many such losers
>>
>>2096384
Aside from drug crops are there any other cash crops people can grow?
>>
File: voltage.jpg (950 KB, 1536x2064)
950 KB
950 KB JPG
The psu is outputting 11.57 instead of 12.00 which means the panels are only consuming something just under 20 watts. I might invest in a boost converter (5$) and up the voltage to 12.5 to drive them at the full 70w
>>
>>2096390
It depends largely on your region and how well you can connect with business/restaurants that want to locally source.
You might make decent money at a farmer's market, depending on location if you whip out heirloom versions of things that are already successful local crops, like those colorful carrots.
>>
File: snailsa.jpg (393 KB, 774x1032)
393 KB
393 KB JPG
This is the afforementioned snail growbox resident snail. It ate holes into those biodegradeable containers and had to take them away from her
>>
>>2096387
Wonderful , a judgemental person. Obsessed with status has replied right on schedule
>>
Avaiable from china, connect to any regular single rail computer power supply. Preferably a gaming one. I am not getting paid to share or grow with these.
aliexpress.com/item/4001275542304.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.382d4c4dlfl2RN
>>2096393
With growth this fast at under 20watts means that migro [himtuber] was STILL UNDERSTATING the ppfid and these panels are well above 1.57ppfid efficiency he benchmarked them at. "just buy a 100$ amazon growlight its about the same"
>>
>>2096384
Dude weed, lmao
>>
>>2096403
You don't like being reminded that you are a drug addict loser with a shrunken brain and zero personality?
>>
File: 1611523872941.png (871 KB, 564x798)
871 KB
871 KB PNG
>>2096373
where is out here. what knowledge is needed? I want to inoculate some dead trees thats around the property and just have a passive shroom harvest spot.

>>2096376
It doesn't sap any from the soil if you build it right. fresh logs can temporarily sap nitrogen. Old decayed logs are already at capacity usually. When you make the mount you want to dump a ton of manure or clippings into it so the logs soak that up instead. And then the first planting on top should be clover or similar nitrogen fixer. after that you can go ham with whatever.
>>
File: color.jpg (1.41 MB, 1512x2016)
1.41 MB
1.41 MB JPG
My dang peppers have been sooo lazy and slow. Tempted to put a light on them and not let them rest. Everything else has been kickin' ass.
>>
i really want to get a couple of bonsai trees, how difficult is it to maintain/care for them?
>>
>Bonsai trees
lmgtfy
>>
File: IMG_20210408_114752.jpg (3.1 MB, 4128x3096)
3.1 MB
3.1 MB JPG
>12v 70w led panel
>>
>I want to inoculate some dead trees
Buy spores with your job worker money
>>
Is the Maria Thun biodynamic calendar snake oil?
>>
Whats biodynamic? Flexible conditions?
>>
>>2096887
It's based (cringed?) on moon phases.
>>
>>2096660
Not much. You must grow them outdoors tho, indoors like by the windowsill will suck ass and die unless you use lighting and shit
>>
File: hoppy_boi.gif (1.98 MB, 200x216)
1.98 MB
1.98 MB GIF
Put my turf down a couple of weeks ago, didn't overdo the fertiliser, watered every day and it's growing nicely.
Ground wasn't totally flat, still had quite a few stones about but seems to be working okay.
Has been about 2 weeks now.
When do you lads think I can walk on it?
>>
>>2096470
You can buy or make sawdust plugs then gently hammer them into holes you drilled into the dead tree. There are also other techniques for small logs. Shiitake is a good one but you’re going to have to wait till right before it freezes or you can dunk small logs in ice water.
>>
File: file.png (3.46 MB, 1702x748)
3.46 MB
3.46 MB PNG
left to right:
sunflowers that i transplanted, they're not doing so hot

pansies are doing good, a stray sunflower seed got in there and i just plucked it out and half buried it on my lawn to see what happens
half assed planted onions from my fridge and a ghost pepper sapling i got from homedepot

corn doing good i think, it looks like the smaller ones are being owned by the dominant sprouts
bell peppers are still tiny as hell and the bottom plastic container is jalapenos, i think it's doing good
>>
>>2090364
what are the holes for when you guys use shit like this?
transplants from pots?
do you just put it in the hole and cover it with better soil?
>>
>>2097377
Not to sound like a dick anon buy why did you plant sunflowers in a spot where they're partially shaded out? Do they at least get six hours of sun a day?
>>
>>2097408
i miscalculated the movements of the sun
>>
Can I take some months-old potatoes in my fridge, jam them in a pot with dirt, and expect any kind of yield?
We finna find out I guess
>>
File: 20210425_092241.jpg (2.7 MB, 1816x4024)
2.7 MB
2.7 MB JPG
>>2097410
Honest mistake, at least now you know next time around more shade tolerant plants will like that spot.

>>2096800
Bing cherries, the other trees and shinsui pear and honeycrisp apples.

>>2096882
I think that's what I really like about them too, like I kinda think of it like going through surgery, when your ass is knocked out a lot more can be done and you just wake up having to adapt, but if you're awake for everything it's going to cause some trauma.
>>
>>2097423
if i got a long mirror and positioned it on it's side to reflect the sun to the sunflowers would that work?
>>
>>2097428
oh wait, the sun starts directly hitting the sunflowers six hours right before sunset so i guess they should be good then?
the last couple of days have been extremely cloudy so i think i'm good
>>
anyone live in an area where climate/weather/environment are different enough that common garden advice doesn't work/do as well?
and you had to figure out on your own what really does well?
>>
>>2097435
That sounds like they at least have a chance then, I'm sure you already know but yeah sunflowers are full sun plants and like at least 6 hours in the sun a day, so it might just be better to move them out into the sun and put something else that is more shade tolerant in their place before it gets too late in the season. Whatever you do though good luck anon, hope they pull through.
>>
>>2097504
i've been thinking about buying black eyed susans, would they be good for this?

i don't have room for putting those sunflowers though unless i buy a bunch of pots, would it be sufficient to just shovel them out with the dirt onto my lawn with cardboard below?
>>
File: 20210427_130323.jpg (3.96 MB, 4032x1816)
3.96 MB
3.96 MB JPG
Rasberry and gooseberry bushes doing very well
>>
>>2097449
yes, jesus christ yes.

southern lane county OR, but due to our elevation and topgraphy (butte in the southern/western sky means we lose direct sunlight around 6pm in june, 1pm in january) temperature drops incredibly fast.
frost through mid april, and coldest nights are late sept/early october.
>>
>>2097513
I've never grown susans before, but just doing a quick search mentions they like full sun too, though they're a bit more shade tolerant.. as for the sunflowers they might do okay if you kinda poor man potted them into some unbroken cardboard boxes, then transfered them into some pots when you have some? Probably double or triple up the cardboard as it'll get mushy and shit as you water them... you should be able to find planting pots people want gone on Craigslist fairly easy depending on where you're at, free usually too unless they're fancy.

>>2097526
Fug anon, sounds like season extension and greenhouse heating are pretty top on your list, an acquaintance in the mountains I know uses a geodome with a large water tub and some reflective mylar type stuff over the pool, I don't know the specifics behind it but I'm pretty sure the water pool is oriented toward the south so the sun heats it up throughout the day, and releases that heat radiantly at night... they also have a wood stove in it too so I'm guessing that pool only works during the more temperate months, but they're in the fucking sticks, lots of shade anyway.
>>
>>2096387
At a certain point the "DUDE WEED"ers like yourself are actually more annoying than the people posting pictures of weed. You are toxic.
>>
I want to make morel mushrooms grow. I have spores, what do I need to do now? Just mix them with water and sugar and spread it around trees in the woods?
>>
File: file.png (2.26 MB, 965x1500)
2.26 MB
2.26 MB PNG
>there's huge apartmentcuck plant boxes
>>
I'm a suburbanite who finally has a backyard to work with and I'm making some raised planter beds out of palletwood. My question is, do I fill it with just normal old dirt from my yard? Or completely with fertilizer and stuff? What can I expect to actually grow this late in the game? I always think about this stuff too late or too early. Sorry for the dumb questions but I know literally nothing. I have seeds for some bell peppers and red onions, the peppers probably won't make it in time will they?
>>
>>2097858
i'm new to gardening too anon, best way to learn is by trial and error.

where do you live? start your peppers inside and wait until the nights are consistently above 60f before putting outside. onions you should be good to sow directly into the ground.

your lawn soil is probably going to be pretty poor, so you'll want to amend it with compost. if you go fertilizer route, you'll still want to put in some organic material to 'fluff' it up so it doesn't lump up so much.

green beans and onions are probably doable, as are tomatoes (just get those seedling started indoors first)
>>
>>2097311
good gif
>>
>>2097916
Tennessee, Southeast United States. It's already plenty warm at nights and it will be consistently 60+ at night until like, Halloween. How do I go about composting? I could just shit directly on my planter box, I can do that easily. Otherwise what would I be looking at? Shitting in a bucket from Home Depot and tossing in old veggies? How long does that take to break down into actual compost I can use? Again, I'm making a raised planter so I'll have to fill it with soil right?
>>
>>2097929
definitely do not try composting human waste anon, that's a great way to get very very sick.

tons of youtube stuff out there explain it way better than me, but you basically want to get a pile that's 50% green (grass clippings, food waste, etc) and 50% brown (wood, paper, cardboard etc) nothing meat or dairy based, with the exception of egg shells.

mix that into a pile, apply some water, and turn every other day or so. (you don't want it to go anaerobic, it'll turn to a stinky black sludge.)
>>
Need help quick, is it ok to cut bamboo?
I'm worried about causing an infection to spread through the bamboo
>>
File: 1418345414304.jpg (26 KB, 500x375)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
Who the fuck is paying Google to spam me with elephant garlic when I look up giant garlic bulbs?
>>
>>2097929
i'd suggest just getting some raised bed soil and some manure.
it's like $10 a cubic yard (comes bagged), and less hassle than tearing up your yard. just open it up, dump in your raised bed, mix in a bit of manure; and you're all set.
>>
>>2097807
Talking out my ass here but certainly not sugar. Visit your local library. They have the answers that you seek
>>
>>2097412
let them sprout in a warm place first, cover with paper or smth. 30c is good
>>
>>2098008
you don't even have to look it up
if Google hears you talking about shit, you can get ads for it.
>>
>>2098008
https://youtu.be/j1FfVK6sj4I
>>
>>2098172
>>2098193
I'm not even interested in elephant garlic, though. it's gaslighting me into thinking that's what I'm looking for, when I'm looking for giant sized true garlic
>>
Near my home is a community garden. I walked through it and saw a bulletin board. One message said something about avoiding to have birdseed near the rat poison containers because birdseed "neutralizes" rat poison. I found this to be very interesting. At first I thought they meant that if a rat eats birdseed the poison has no effect. But then I thought about it and I thought maybe the person who wrote it was bad at my language and they meant that birdseed on the ground will attract rats from outside of the community garden, thereby nullifying the effect of the rat poison. Does anyone know anything about this? I work with buses and I frequently see shells from sunflower seeds or something similar left on the buses. Also at a job I had in the past the boss used to eat what I think is the same type of seed and I think it's sunflower seeds. I think rat poison contains fluoride. That made me think maybe these people eat these seeds to cure fluoride poisoning.
>>
File: Big Garlic.jpg (63 KB, 800x600)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>>2098205
Case in point, this man is holding a 1lb 3oz head of actual garlic
The world record for largest true garlic head was 2lbs 10oz
>>
>>2098205
looks like Big Elephant Garlic is trying to get their claws in to you.
>>
>>2098213
What's your experience been with them?
>>
File: Bogs_esoteric.jpg (173 KB, 1920x1080)
173 KB
173 KB JPG
>>2098219
>rothschilds bow to Big Garlic
>in contact with aliens
>rumoured to possess psychic abilities
>control france with an iron fist
>own castles and banks all over the world
>direct descendants of the ancient royal blood line
>will bankroll the first cities on Mars (Biggarlicgrad will be be the first city)
>own basically every DNA editing research facility on Earth
>first designer babies will be Big Garlic Babies
>both Big Garlic brothers said to have 200+ IQ
>ancient Indian scriptures tell of Allium merchants who will descend upon the Earth and will bring >an era of enlightenment and unprecedented technological progress with them
>They own Nanobot R&D labs around the world
>You likely have garlic from big garlic bulbs inside you right now
>Big Garlic is in regular communication with the Archangels Michael and Gabriel, forwarding the word of God to the Orthodox Church
>Big Garlic will guide humanity into a new age of wisdom, peace and love
>>
prophets, do we need to stop them
>>
i sort of gave up on gardens because of slugs. turned my back yard into a berry/nut tree type of place. but i still have a big patch of sunchokes that do well. and rhubarb.

maybe i could squeeze in 1 or 2 raised beds... could ask a neighbor to build em for me.

whenever i see this thread i feel tempted to give it one more go... last year i tried a rare local tobacco plant of all thing, and winter squashes: didnt do squat.

i should look into companion plants for the sunchokes, maybe...

any recommendations about this or in general... ideally it would be nice to amass some foods for the winter.
>>
>>2097720
Nah. The stoners are worse than the boomers who don't like them. Sounds like it might hit close to home for you.
>>
File: IMG_20210429_104539.jpg (2.83 MB, 4128x3096)
2.83 MB
2.83 MB JPG
>>2098293
slugs need nutrients. slugs are bros ok, make your garden less like a slug habbitat, some bird nests ontop of that and itll not BE a slug habbitat
Get rid of that human attitude
>>
>>2096265
Maybe next time link the new bread in the old thread
>>
>>2096376
it does, its a miserable way to try and grow stuff

stick to compost on the soil surface, much higher yield and ease of use
>>
File: 20210504_120859.jpg (3.24 MB, 3264x2448)
3.24 MB
3.24 MB JPG
Wtf is this, several have been popping up in my beds, have leaf and mulch compost mix, in michigan
>>
>>2098500
it looks like a wood ear mushroom. probably growing in/on the tree that the mulch was made of. thats how magic mushrooms got spread around the northwest back in the day
>>
>>2098502
Thanks boss
>>
>>2098500
Isnt that edible? Watch alfie aesthetics videos, come back in a couple of days and youll be able to tell us.
>>
>>2098527
yes! im not 100% sure its a wood ear, but if it is they taste delicious in soups. nice chewy texture and a fairly mild mushroomy taste. you can find it often at chinese hotpot restaurants
>>
File: broccoli.png (146 KB, 331x283)
146 KB
146 KB PNG
Bro's... bad news. My broccolis have died. Only 2 left. This is a tragedy and i hope you will join me in a minute of silence.
Tomatoes, bell peppers, chilis, cucumbers, new zealand spinach, leeks, chinese chives, basil and strawberries are going strong though.
Brassicabro's, is this the end of your domination? Has the Age of the Nightshades begun?
>>
>>2098533
haha bummer, how many did you start with? its a numbers game, there will always be casualties
>>
>>2096839
While you're looking things up why not research how not to be a cunt?
>>
Spring gardening fucking sucks ass. I fucking hate it. Fucking bugs and pests galore, waking up to come out for a free feeding frenzy. God, I can't wait for late summer.

Fall/Winter crops > Spring/Summer crops.

(repostan from other thread)
>>
Does anyone make moonshine and grow tobacco on their /out/ Minecraft server? I had the idea that perhaps you could use the heads of a batch of shine as menthol flavoring for your tobacco and use that to barter with joggers.
>>
>>2098492
i dumped a lot of pine needles everywhere to control weeds and also hopefully give slugs a hard time. built half a dozen toad houses (even saw one hybernate in one of em, once) and will ttry to remember to catch some this summer and just dump em around, hopefully some will stay. should attract birds too , maybe? grackles sure love to toss shit around, including the nice moss i tried to propagate in some spots... but i am not that mad about it since the morcels that flew all over tend to "take root" and keep on going. if i do raised beds i think i will wrap the legs with copper tape to keep the slugs to get in there... their population exploded when i put some cardboard to control weeds a few years ago and since then i guess they took over.
>>
>>2098492
A tad harsh, but based and truth-pilled.
>>
I'm growing a bunch of "exotic" or rare herbs for cooking and potpourri. I have patchouli, cardamom, fenugreek, and black cumin coming up from seed. Any other suggestions? I have a ton of space for containers.
>>
>>2098616
If you're into Indian food Asafetida is apparently pretty easy to grow, just prepare yourself for stank
>>
>>2098533
Plant more of them
>>
>>2098224
At least we know they aren't vampires
>>
File: tomato.png (659 KB, 668x1016)
659 KB
659 KB PNG
>>2098536
>>2098645
Like just 12 this year because i have so much other things to grow but i did want more of them anyway so might as well redo it. Still plenty of time. Tasted really good last year.
Tomatoes are growing nicely
>>
First garden I've ever done myself. The ground was hard red clay, I turned over 12 or 14 inches of it, mixed in with new topsoil. I had an old hay bale that was outside in the weather for 3 years, I ripped it up and mixed that in, it had mushrooms growing in it before, and now mushrooms are growing out of the garden bed. This is okay, right?
>>
File: mushrooms.jpg (507 KB, 1175x881)
507 KB
507 KB JPG
>>2098727
forgot picture. Here's the inky mushrooms.
>>
File: may4.jpg (515 KB, 1175x881)
515 KB
515 KB JPG
>>2098729
Here's 1 of 2 beds. The larger of the two.
>>
>>2098293
Fill a pie dish with beer and kill all those fuckers in one night
>>
>>2098727
>>2098733
Mushrooms are very rarely bad for bedding plants. Sometimes they can hurt trees but I've never heard of a mushroom attacking a tomato or the like. There are other, non-mushroom fungi that can be problematic, but they are usually molds or mildews.
>>
>>2098293
>ut i still have a big patch of sunchokes that do well.
I fucking love sunchokes more than any other vegetable I have ever tried. If only you could harvest them in the summer.
>>
>>2098631
Oh that's a good one I hadn't even thought of. I use it a lot.
>>
>>2098783
That's what I figured. The mushrooms pop out at night and are there early in the morning, and by noon they are shriveled and gone. I wish I knew what kind they were.
>>
I posted on the other thread bout my okra's impending death here in NE oklahoma. Here's my potato and garlic bed
>>
Here's my strawberry, horseradish, mint, and tomato bed
>>
>>2098874
Are they going to get any full sun?
>>
>>2098855
They're inky caps. The species is Coprinus or Coprinopsis, probably the latter. They are probably not the edible ones.
>>
>>2098874
>>2098876
You're growing in full shade... I don't think that will work so well.
>>
>>2098874
>>2098876
As you can see, these are in the woods, but get hopefully enough sunlite. The first two beds are mulched with about 4 inches or so of 3 year old woodchips. This third bed that has carrots, radishes, and onions only has leaves rn but I'm gonna add woodchips this fall. Even if my plants don't end up doing too well the worms are loving it.
>>
>>2098878
>>2098883
During the earlier half of the day they're getting full sun, there's a pond on one side so no blocking trees. Though, I'm pretty close to the equator so the oklahoma sun pokes through the shade good the second half of the day
>>
File: 1581229808900.jpg (19 KB, 576x432)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>2098885
>close to the equator
>oklahoma
>>
>>2098224
Let me guess, the elites introduced Elephant Garlic to get rid of true Big Garlic bulbs?
>>
>>2098887
Ok ok but closer than the average anon I'd bet
>>
File: 20210504_071706.jpg (3.5 MB, 4032x3024)
3.5 MB
3.5 MB JPG
>>2098690
You know a guy loves his tomatoes when he gives little seedlings support. We're in good company.
>>
>>2098898
Jokes aside, you should cut a few branches so that light can get through. Do it now while there are no plants to crush by the falling branches.
>>
I read that of all the "regrow from food scraps" meme vegetables scallions are the only ones that actually work. Is it really that simple? I just wanna put them in full soil after letting the roots grow in water for a bit. Will that work?
>>
>>2098936
I've seen it work for celery as well.
>>
>>2098936
it should, yeah.
potatoes can work too btw.
>>
That beautiful time of year when my sunflower plants start to go missing.
>>
>>2098346
You're being more annoying than the pot head who initially posted, but ok.
>>
File: !mg_1669.jpg (912 KB, 2048x1536)
912 KB
912 KB JPG
This little cunt right here. Going to end up 6 inches under if she doesn't learn to fuck off out of my garden. Not sure why they don't shit their kids out in their winter borrows. Instead they make small rabbit sized holes and fill them with nesting material and shit their spawn in it. Easy for anything to just sniff out and eat, but whatever.
>>
>>2099029
Did you just assume their gender?
>>
File: !mg_1663.jpg (1.19 MB, 2048x1536)
1.19 MB
1.19 MB JPG
>>2099029
Pardon the demonic photo, I managed to shift delete while getting the files out and fucked myself.

Once warm enough the tomatoes go in the raised bed. Now covered with hex fence. Shes cute and I get close enough to almost pet the dumb thing. Apparently their shit is good, and the grass that was cover in earlier months is doing great. It'd be a shame to kill her.
>>
File: !mg_1666.jpg (636 KB, 2048x1536)
636 KB
636 KB JPG
Hibiscus not doing so great, wind kind kicked its ass. Even the young leaves at kinda rotting not sure why.
>>
File: !mg_1665.jpg (641 KB, 2048x1536)
641 KB
641 KB JPG
Grindings of grass clippings. Normally I grind comfrey. I make my own soil.
>>
File: !mg_1670.jpg (932 KB, 2048x1536)
932 KB
932 KB JPG
I've got a strawberry in a pot but it only produces tiny berries. Any advice on getting them bigger?
>>
File: comfrey.jpg (644 KB, 2048x828)
644 KB
644 KB JPG
Anyone grown their own comfrey?
>>
>>2099046
I've heard srawbebbies really like rocky soil. Hell they grow wild in a rocky ditch next to my house. You could transplant to some rockier stuff and place larger rocks around em, it's something about how they absorb heat from the sun and transfer it to the plant
>>
>>2099075
Or you could just line any beds you have with rocks and plant em in those
>>
File: IMG_6361.jpg (3.93 MB, 4032x3024)
3.93 MB
3.93 MB JPG
>>2096265
So I have a couple seasons of gardening under me belt, but somehow missed how to best turn lawns into farmland.
Last season I just tore up the sod in strips, added leaf mulch from the previous fall, and planted in that. But I've heard it's better to flip the sod over, till it in, and plant in that. Thoughts?
>>
>>2099046
Strawberries LOVE sand and high acid soil. They want lots of available silicon, basically.

Adjust soil pH and throw some sand in. Actually it's a good idea if you're planting them outside to create a layer of sound around the strawberries so weeds have trouble growing since they actually like 40% sand soil.
>>
>>2098936
i have a few ones waiting to be transplanted outside: made one with the stump of a cabbage and one with the stump of a... brussel sprout! it seem to work, it made 3 or 4 mini brussel sprouts around the stump
>>
>>2099105
Its in a terracotta pot and likely won't be coming out. My main garden is a type of course sandy soil, might be able to add some in. Would adding wood ashes help?
>>
>>2099120
I wouldn't put the wood ash on personally, you're gonna need to add a lot of acid to adjust the pH down to 6.0 if you do that since wood ash is pretty alkaline.

If you have access to manure or compost maybe add a small amount of that. I do think you should add sand in since strawberries like soil with a lot of clay and sand.
>>
Would you guys bring in container tomatoes with these lows? Niagara, Ontario (zone 7a) and we usually don't have temps this low this time of year. I got some cherry and beefsteaks growing in 5gallon containers, would you bring them in with lows of 3C? Around 37F.
>>
>>2099125
So what types of things are acidic that I could add? Which type are pine needles? I've tried to understand acid/alkaline over the years I just don't quite get it.
>>
>>2097996
Dude I can't kill my bamboo. I've tried cutting, slashing, burning, chopping, I dug up ~60sqft a foot deep with a pickaxe to get all the roots and runners and the motherfucker still came back. It even survived the February Texas winter storm that killed everything else and a few of my trees. You'll be fine.
>>
>>2099133
Elemental sulfur is the best and cheapest way
but it takes awhile because it's actually bacteria in the soil transforming it into sulfuric acid that causes this.
Compost that's been composting for a long time tends to be acidic.

You can just use vinegar to do it but I think the most common is diluted sulfuric acid or iron sulfate. Honestly, most organic acids will work. Citric acid works as well.

I don't have a clue about pine needles. Seems like maybe after they've been composted? Things tend to be more acidic if they've been allowed to decay. It's ultimately just about the availability of hydrogen ions (pH is literally power of hydrogen) which heavily effects chemical reactions and the availability of nutrients to plants.
>>
>>2099138
Interesting. I have 2 year old compost that is ready(canadian climate). I'll see about digging it out somehow and adding a mix of compost and soil, ground egg shell, bonemeal, comfrey manure.
>>
File: pineapple-top.jpg (700 KB, 1200x1600)
700 KB
700 KB JPG
>>2098936
what about pineapples?
>>
>>2099127
I was in your shoes recently, anon. 36F was my limit for moving everything. Even then I still got a bit of cold damage on a tender pepper variety and my tamarillos. If they have been hardened off, and have been within a few degrees before, they will probably be fine no lower than 37F, but its's close.

Weather people are basically failed thespians. You should never trust thespians. Machines predict our weather and if they decide to rise up they could do a lot of damage to our gardens by making us think its warmer than it really is. Keep this in mind while making your decision.
>>
>>2098209
This garlic is delicious roasted or caramelized and makes pretty good creamy garlic spread
>>
>>2099205
We weren't talking about specific varieties
>>
>>2096967
moon phases are real. Go prune a grape on a waxing/full moon and try it again on a new/waning moon. Much less fluid loss when it isn't full. Try it. Do your own experiments.

>>2096887
biodynamic farming has a lot of logical permaculture rules but then also veers off the rails with a lot of witchy stuff that serves as a heuristic for modern composting techniques.
The qualifications of a biodynamic farm:
>biological diversity (10% of the farm should be set aside as wildlife reserve/remain uncultivated, no monocultures, consistent crop rotation)
> self generating fertility via livestock, green manure, compost etc
>Disease, insect and weed control via species diversity, crop rotation, natural methods etc.
>The use of biodynamic preparations (the witchy stuff)
>water conservation via proper mulching, organic matter development, efficient irrigation systems powered by sustainable alternative energy etc.
>livestock integration, having at least one animal and ideally more than one type of animal integrated into the farm

Basically biodynamic farming regulations are very strict and the food that comes from a biodynamic is very pure. The witchy stuff is basically a compost tea prepared with ritualistic stirring in the place of a modern day bubbler. It has merit even if it seems kooky.
>>
>>2099096
Cover the grass with cardboard and put a layer of soil, compost or mulch over that. The grass and cardboard will decompose and you get a healthy upper soil layer with lots of organic matter.
>>
File: IMG_20210505_003745.jpg (515 KB, 1280x960)
515 KB
515 KB JPG
Guerilla
>>
>>2099041
Sounds interesting but I cant see much
>>
File: IMG_20210505_082939.jpg (2.4 MB, 1872x3952)
2.4 MB
2.4 MB JPG
Is my bok choi ready yet? It's starting to grow somekind of flower.
>>
>>2098936
>scallions are the only ones that actually work
Tell that to the potato peelings with fresh green shoots I keep digging out of the compost heap.
>>
Here is my garden.

It is made with mostly arborist wood chips, horse manure, leaves picked up from around the neighborhood, and composted manure from the store.

There were some hugelkulture mounds incorporated into this garden along with some raised beds.

I fertilize using mostly JADAM (Korean Organic Farming) liquid fertilizer, that I made by dumping mower bags of weeds, chicken manure, urine, oyster shells, kitchen scraps, catfish guts, and all kinds of scraps from the dumpster at aldi; into a 55 gallon drum to age for a year.

I am growing tomatoes, watermelon, okra, peppers, sweet potato, cucumbers, raspberries, blackberries, and beans, among other things.
>>
>>2099543
>lettuce
>turnip
>carrot
>cabbage
>onion
>garlic

lmao? just put shit in water for a bit, lmao, fresh free bonus food round

Also btw, I'm a newb at this and actually put a turnip to seed for fun, but at some point realized I wouldnt mind having a garden full of them at all
so...how do I know when to harvest the seeds? and how to do it and store them?
>>
File: 20190420_124243 (2).jpg (2.29 MB, 2533x2144)
2.29 MB
2.29 MB JPG
Here it was a few years ago when it was just raised beds.
>>
File: 20190420_134106 (2).jpg (2.33 MB, 2543x2160)
2.33 MB
2.33 MB JPG
When I was building my lazy hugel
>>
File: 20190421_160429.jpg (3.76 MB, 2880x2160)
3.76 MB
3.76 MB JPG
when it was complete
>>
>>2099576
Start Here: https://www.seedsavers.org/saving-seeds-for-beginners

You can check out the more advanced resources here: https://www.seedsavers.org/learn
>>
>>2099051
not intentionally
>>
>>2099573
>arborist wood chips

i cant find a consensus on this, are these just raw fresh chips? like ones youd get from a tree trimming service that was working on power lines
>>
>>2099630
Basically, yes.
Its fresh chips with the leaves and everything still present.
>>
>>2099579
If i end up making some tall raised beds i might do something like that since i have an endless supply of free wood so going to need less soil
>>
File: 198443151153465.jpg (99 KB, 1000x1000)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
>>2099684
great, thanks anon. thats what i thought but i wasnt sure
>>
Newbie retard here, how much space is recommended for chili plants? I'd like to grow something fun but i'm cucked as hell on space so i can only really fit a couple of small to medium sized plants if i want to keep them over the winter.
Or is it better to just grow em up and harvest them once then let them die and redo it next year?
>>
>>2099722
Depends on how much room you have outside.
If you don't really have much room outside or if you just want a few chilli plants for yourself, then pots is the way to go.

if you want to pickle some, make hot sauce, dry some for seasoning, etc, then plant new every year.
>>
>>2099752
Sorry, I forgot to say, 3-5 cubic feet per plant should suffice, for containers. Outside, I like to space them 24 inches.
>>
>>2099752
>>2099756
Thanks, that should work space wise for me. I suppose i could do both options, keep a few plants long time and raise some new every year to preserve.
>>
>>2099764
I meant gallons, not cubic feet, for container size.
>>
File: IMG_1672.jpg (1.44 MB, 2048x1536)
1.44 MB
1.44 MB JPG
>>2099399
Here is new pic with the strawberries for >>2099138
I did two batches one is grass clippings and the other is grass/dandelion flowers and bits/ misc plants(weeds) found around my house. I let it rot and stir it about everyday or so, liquids can also be collected but be wary of too much sugar can turn into vinegar.
>>
>>2099253
All garlic is good roasted and can make a good creamy spread, some varieties have a different flavor but its all good.
>>
File: IMG_1674.jpg (1.34 MB, 2048x1536)
1.34 MB
1.34 MB JPG
One year old comfrey manure, positively disgusting.
>>
File: IMG_1673.jpg (1.18 MB, 2048x1536)
1.18 MB
1.18 MB JPG
This is a an interesting mix somewhat made by chance. Its 1 half ground green maple 1 half ground weeds(everything except comfrey), it was terrible like burning shit. After a winter I mixed the two together and stirred daily after about a week this is what I had scent free. Looks nice yes?
>>
>>2099797
ah, i thought you meant like general space for them, that said i could probably fit a couple of pots that size
>>
>>2099046
you need to put all the stuff on the right into cups now. harden off the stuff on the left or just plant some of it outside, too.
>>
>>2099805
>>2099804
rudolph steiner and biodynamic farming is complete bullshit, way to buy into another mlm. how about drinking some colloidal silver while youre at it
>>
>>2099858
Harden off? Like toughen them? Its too cold to plant out just yet, probably until the 12th.

>>2099866
I have no idea what you're talking about, guess I'll look it up.
>>
>>2099866
So having looked it up, apparently you are a fag and Rudolf is laughing at you from beyond the grave. My techniques work.
>>
>>2099866
>colloidal silver
was literally used to kill microbes for years and still works. In fact, it and copper are still embedded into materials (like nylon) when you need to create a clean surface. There's actually a lot of medical equipment that uses this technique.
>>
>>2098224
kek
>>
>>2099890
yeah but not when you eat/drink it
>>
File: 1613872361803.jpg (818 KB, 2400x1800)
818 KB
818 KB JPG
>>2099866
Where did the biodynamic farming touch you anon, you don't have to be scared anymore.
>>
>>2096373
nada but just made jerky with wild ones

>>2096595
waves?
>>
File: IMG_20210506_115435.jpg (2.63 MB, 2602x3647)
2.63 MB
2.63 MB JPG
>was thinking of growing a green walls of Vine
>Took in bunch of different road side weeds because they look super easy to grow
>One of them started fruiting like crazy
>Turn out it's a "wild passion fruit" and is edible

Noice
Maybe I should get some real™ passion fruit vines going

Btw, any idea on what plant to grow for a hanging vine scene?
Here's malaysia
>>
>>2100156
Passiflora foetida
>>
File: IMG_20210506_115911.jpg (3.16 MB, 4055x2665)
3.16 MB
3.16 MB JPG
>>2100156
Sweet and sour
Nice little morning treat
>>
>>2100168
damn those look good
>>
File: 2565_bitter-gourd.jpg (79 KB, 799x799)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
>>2100156
>Btw, any idea on what plant to grow for a hanging vine scene
bitter melon
>>
I don't trust/an/ with this question. If I built a birdhouse for a peregrine falcon and one happened to move in would it peck my corgi if it got too close or would it not give a shit? I have a medium sized backyard and the dog comes and goes as it pleases. Possibly the same question but with all owl also if any anonymous are knowledgeable on the subject.
>>
File: 183827589.jpg (2.62 MB, 4032x3024)
2.62 MB
2.62 MB JPG
Here are my tomato seedlings. Are they ready to be transplanted to a bigger pot?
>>
>>2100156
Wish I could grow wild passion fruits in my country, that's awesome
>>
>>2100200
I've dropped some bitter gourd seeds from dinner leftover around the wall weeks ago

I hope they can put compete the other random weeds around
I'm now basically letting all those vines go wild to see which one survive the best

Maybe I should take a more proactive approach like do some planning /pruning /training?
>>
>>2096464
Probably better he has zero personality than your shitty one
>>
>>2099482
you should harvest it before it bolts. It's ready.
>>
>>2098550
Are you suggesting giving joggers methanol poisoning on purpose? I think their friends might come for you, mang.
>>
File: Gac.jpg (244 KB, 1500x1031)
244 KB
244 KB JPG
>>2100200
>>2100252
>Bitter melon
>Not the gac fruit, its infinitely more palatable and attractive relative
You had one job
>>
>>2100279
Also this is the first post about the gac fruit in the history of this board, shame on you /out/
>>
File: koala punch.gif (87 KB, 123x136)
87 KB
87 KB GIF
>>2099870
harden = slowly get them used to outside weather/sun ...bring em out during the day for a 1/2 hr for 2 days, then leave em out for 2 hrs the 3rd & 4th day, then 4 hrs the next two days, then plant them in dirt on the 12th.
>>
>>2096873
I'm using it myself this year. Time will tell..
But, she literally spent her whole researching and experimenting with this stuff. Also look up Rudolf Steiner
>>
>>2100334
*whole life
>>
>>2100280
saved as inspiration crops folder to consider planting
Im more looking for fruit trees tho

Any fellow spaniards (coast Galicia) want to give me ideas on what trees to get?
surprisingly stuff like bananas and pinneaple produce on this climate quite nicely, and Im also having already a japanese medlar tree so...give me ideas as if climate is not the biggest problem
>>
I’m planning on building a bird pen for a half dozen or so quail for the purpose of dog training. They’ll all be killed early/mid fall.

Picrel is a quick mock-up of my design. A 4Lx4Wx4.5H (feet) pen with an enclosed top floor, hinged angled roof, a middle platform and ramps from ground to top, with the bottom enclosed with chicken wire, plus a small hatch in the lower and upper levels for “bird-grabbing”.

For this sort of scale and timeframe, what are some good alternative designs to consider? What modifications could I make or add to the perimeter to make it more safe from predators?
>>
File: liquorice.jpg (1.34 MB, 2194x1712)
1.34 MB
1.34 MB JPG
My two year old liquorice plants are growing again! I'm extremely happy, I thought they didn't survive the winter, but they're slowly coming back up. A couple more years before they're harvestable.
>>
File: 20210505_103303.jpg (2.06 MB, 4032x1960)
2.06 MB
2.06 MB JPG
>>2100395
4.5' tall is too short or too tall. Quail fly straight up when startled and will break their necks on anything not netted between 18" and 6'.
Picrel is a hatch of mine from 2-3 days ago.
>>
>>2100395
also to add, a quail needs 1sqft/bird to be happy. Most people say they don't like going up ramps for their nesting so I built mine all the same level. Some people say their birds go up ramps.
Pic related is my run right after I built it. I can fit 25 happy quail in here.
Chicken wire is too thick for quail. Predators such as rats and snakes can fit in that. You'll want .5" hardware cloth for at least the lower sidesif you build tall.
>>
>>2100395
Regarding protection, you can extend hardware cloth into the dirt, or boards. I surroundeine with river rocks because they're such a pain for anything to try to dig through. They've been safe for about a year and I have lots of racoons, cats, predatory birds, and whatnot around.
>>
>>2100440
Nice looking birds anon. Are yours for eating or eggs?
>>
>>2100480
Thank you. I try to keep them happy.
>Are yours for eating or eggs?
Both, but mostly eggs. I'll eat troublesome males when they're bullies. Little liver on the side there for the dog.
>>
>>2100437
That layout actually looks perfect for the space I have, thanks anon
>>
File: 2.jpg (699 KB, 2222x1472)
699 KB
699 KB JPG
Which one, lads?
I'm thinking of fireglow. Not too big, slow growth, beautiful red.
>>
>>2100534
I like the Orangeola and Sango Kaku personally, but they're all beautiful.
>>
>>2100506
Different anon, how viable do you think raising quail indoors would be? My town doesn't allow any kind of livestock, so I'm unable to raise them out in the open. I figure they'd be much easier to raise indoors than chickens would be, and probably less cruel considering they don't seem to need as much space.
>>
>>2096384
im guerilla growing an autoflower in a city park. wish me luck
>>
>>2100541
They'll start to stink fast. Even the babies stink after being inside for a week on pine shavings. My city doesn't allow me to have fowl other than chickens or ducks but I wanted quail. Dab on your city ordinance; raise quail.
They're really quiet, low space, and not noisy. Your neighbors won't even care unless they're califag soccermoms or HOA boomers. Neither of my neighbors care. Their crow is even quieter than the chirping birds in my trees. I ate a male that crowed a lot, but it was just precautionary. Females don't crow at all.
>>
>>2100541
Although I guess to actually answer your question, you can do it. Some people keep 5-6 females in a cage indoors and treat them as they would a normal bird pet.I would not do more than 6 unless you've got decent space or an operation in your garage. If you want to incubate for meat, get one male and 4-5 females. Meat birds need 1/2sqft and are full grown in 6-8 weeks.
>>
>>2100566
>>2100568
Thanks anon, I guess it depends on how lucky I get with my new neighbors and whether they're assholes or not. I'm already raising meat rabbits indoors so I'm mostly interested in the eggs, but I might go for a male anyway just so I have the option.
>>
>>2100440
>>2100437
>>2100430
Delightfully interesting setup! My wife has been bugging me about getting more diverse livestock, and she's mentioned quail before. I'm curious: realistically how many quail to a proper meal's portion? They've always looked far too small and fiddly to be worth it.
>>
File: file.png (3.24 MB, 960x1280)
3.24 MB
3.24 MB PNG
there was an uncomfortable amount of ants hanging around my plants so i holocausted one of the mounds with boiling water, it's cool how they bring out the dead like this since i didn't see all of these when i first poured it
>>
>>2100555
Stupid
If found it will be watched or ripped
Go for highway roundabouts or something like that
>>
>>2100653
Unless there's aphids around, there's literally no reason to kill ants. They're actually good bois who keep various other plant-predatory pests in check in addition to tilling the soil underneath and around.
>>
>>2100223
Sure but look under the tray to see how the roots are doing
>>
>>2100640
1.5 coturnix quail per person with sides is enough for us, but we are pretty light eaters. You get most the meat off the breast (obviously). It's really easy to overcook and it will get incredibly stringy if you overcook it. And brining is a must. Recently I was told brining in buttermilk is awesome. I am going to try that with my next batch.
>fiddly
Yeah, kinda. But you can kill and gut one in under 5 minutes. It's pretty easy and straightforward (assuming you're removing skin instead of plucking).
>>
>>2100555
Just put on a reflective vest and a trash picker with some plastic bags
>>
>>2100657
Yup predators are the good guys here
Pic of lil home boi
>>
>>2100659
Thanks for the info bro
>>
File: file.png (1.19 MB, 567x756)
1.19 MB
1.19 MB PNG
wtf are these niggas growing inside the holes of these blocks?
i trimmed them back for now, should i uproot them?
>>
>>2100683
The dandelions ?
Yes that would be the way to remove them but they have a taproot so it can be a pain
Other then that its a great plant, people even buy the fresh/small leaf for tea or some hippie bullshit.
And it will comeback maybe put down a liner under the top brick that would stop them
>>
>>2100690
oh that's what they were?
they looked different from the others, i'll pick them once they get bigger again
>>
>>2100691
Take a knife or a tent peg and stick it down next to the root and wiggle that shit, to loosen the soil around the root then they pulls right out
they can be some tough little buggers

But keep in mind that they are some of the earliest flowering plants that bumblebees and other insects eats in spring (nectar)
>>
>>2100691
And kek
>TaraxaCum
>>
>>2100698
i'm ethinically cleansing all weeds near my plants and that one weed with small white heads on top

i'm introducing black eyed susans, Nasturtium, and poppies if that helps for the nectar
>>
>>2096265
Does anyone have any good links to agricultural news and gardening/weather watch sites? I just reformatted and lost all my old bookmarks, google doesnt bring up any of the good and honest sites I used to have and I dont remember their names just designs.
>>
>>2100710
www.almanac.com
>>
>>2100706
I doesn't matter in small scale gardens but if you need some more pollinators like solitary bees and bumblebees you know what to do now

The plants you named flowers July to October a bit late but its fine your not growing fields and fields of them
>>
>>2100706
Oh and be careful with poppies I have heard that if you grow them aggressively could turn soil to sand, But could also just be a old myth. And keep them away from junky types
>>
>>2100712
Damn that's the only one I remembered lmao
>>
>>2100718
i wanted the red kind with the dark purple center but I coped by buying those california poppy variety, do all of them have those heroin seeds?
>>
>>2100534
Aren't those illegal?
Nothing wrong with a nice sugar or silver maple.
>>
>>2100736
Sap and seeds
I can't say all, but most of the big ones do and I have known hippies that would make tea out of the small red ones that grows around parking lots and by the road

They are legal to grow. A lot of old people around here grows them without even knowing that its opium for their beauty
>>
>>2100380
>saved as inspiration crops folder to consider planting
>Im more looking for fruit trees tho
Gac fruit is higher in beta-carotene than both carrots and sweet potatoes combined
>>
>local nursery is open from 11am - 4pm, Tues, Weds, Fri, Sat
>make time to go there
>no seeding trays
>all the soil is shit and has huge wood clumps in it
>they don't carry any of the seeds I want

I'm beyond angry, lovely people but holy hell do they make it hard to shop locally. I just bought all the shit, minus the soil, on amazon.
>>
>>2100657
>Unless there's aphids around
Ants will bring aphids to you. https://realselfsufficiency.com/ants-farming-aphids/
>>
>>2100772
Literally from your own link, dumdum

>Do ants attract aphids?
>No, ants don’t really attract aphids. It’s more likely that the ants will seek out the aphids and begin to herd and farm them.

As I said. unless they're already there, the presence of ants are *more likely* a beneficial presence than a harmful one, which is why you check.
>>
>>2100773
There's a bug chance those aphids are going to be at your neighbors' houses or the lot next door and they'll bring them.
>>
>>2100776
>There's a bug chance those aphids are going to be at your neighbors' houses or the lot next door and they'll bring them.
slip of the tongue? Also, doubtful. Why would they expend all that energy and time bringing aphids ALREADY on another plant to a colony somewhere else far away, versus simply establishing a colony next to the plants with the aphids already on them?

Possible? Yes. Probable? No.
>>
>>2100778
they like plants that gets lots of fertilizer because they are better food source for them
If you wanna get rid of them:
Lady bugs eat them or try diatomaceous earth they are not a big problem unless you grow indoor or plants with weak insecticide defence against them
>>
>>2100778
how can i tell if something's an aphid?
would it be a bunch of little white niggas near the base of the plant?
>>
File: images.jpg (8 KB, 194x259)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>2100792
Under the leaf is where most pest hide just lift it up and look if any niggas are squatting there
>>
File: _9781523335718.jpg (22 KB, 300x388)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
>>2100807 (me)
if its vegan it gets the gass
If its eats meat it gets a pass
>>
>>2100792
They're small, round, and don't move much at all. Additionally they tend to clump up together, so if you see what looks like boiled skin on your leaves, that's a severe infestation. Typically they're green in color, but they can also be brown/tan and black.
>>
>>2100792
they're tiny and green/brown. some have wings and they also shed a lot so if there's an infestation you'll also find a lot of tiny white flakes around the area
>>
>>2100683
>should i uproot them?
Yes, and enjoy your plentiful dandelions next year from every bit of root you missed lmao
>>
>>2100759
i have the opposite problem, theres a great local place that id rather spend my money at over (((home depot))) but the woman that runs it is a bitch

/blogpost i guess
>>
>>2100819
I did tell him how to remove the whole root and to cover the holes with gardenbed liner/covers
>>
>>2096390
i've heard a friend commenting something about microgreens being profitable if you get the right connections with the restaurant scene, but i dont know anything about it beyond that.
>>
File: file.png (25 KB, 457x411)
25 KB
25 KB PNG
>moved sunflowers to shitty location not knowing it'll get less sun
>think at least it's gonna get 6 hours of sun
>it only gets 4-5 because the neighbor's tree blocks the sun before it sets
>>
>>2100837
Wild herbs like stinging nettles is sold with a huge mark up. Check local prices and you will see how much money can be made from shit that people piss on in woods
>see if there any "health" "holistic" or "hippie" store to check what plants people buy
>then gather or grow the plants, dry them, and the put it in bags and bring it to the store

Bonus fact if its a health supplement you don't need to comply with the foodstandard/safety laws
>>
>>2100838
Something will probably just eat them anyways. Damn voles.
>>
File: 1607822372677.gif (166 KB, 220x220)
166 KB
166 KB GIF
>>2100809
>talks about gassing vegans
>specifies meat eaters getting a pass
>pic related is a vegetarian
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>2100854
>What did he mean by this?

leave it cuz u re too dense to catch it
>>
No cherries for me this year. They're bird feed now ;_;

I'll take another photo this Saturday or something.
>>
>>2099684
>>2099709
Arborist here. Please, for the love of god, contact your local arborist for woodchips if there’s even a tiny chance you might use them. Sometimes we have to pay mulch companies and other types to take them off of our hands, so we’re usually delighted to give them away for free (Just make sure you have a place for us to dump them first)
>>
>>2100849
you know what, when is it too late to transplant them?
i moved them once already when they were smaller, im thinking of moving one of the bigger clumps to a hole in the lawn
>>
>>2100209
falcons are too small for them to be a threat to a corgi. Owl or hawk might consider it but very doubtful. Falcons in general are gonna avoid dealing with a ground predator and probably will just give up the ground if the corgi wanted the spot bad enough.

My kitten brought back a decapitated falcon one time actually. I have trouble believing he killed it but I watched him drop down from the tree with it... It's possible he actually did it...
>>
>>2100890
Cool. Thanks.
>>
File: IMG_20210507_131125~2.jpg (3.12 MB, 2716x3477)
3.12 MB
3.12 MB JPG
>>2100156
More about my Vine wall project
Some of the stuff I caught enough hint to identify are Cypress vine, butterfly pea(literally clitoris flower lol), passiflora foetida

There are two sturdy kind of vines I've yet to identify.
And I have get some real passion fruit (at around my waist height) and bitter gourd (just sprouted) going on some spots but they aren't long enough for me to throw them over the wall
>>
File: IMG_20210507_111945.jpg (3.28 MB, 2710x4160)
3.28 MB
3.28 MB JPG
>>2101079
My home sits quite high(house floor about 3m above road surface at highest point) beside an up hill slope road.
I thought it would look dope if I get something hanging down from above
That's how I get my idea
>>
>>2100653
>uncomfortable
You resorted to deep violence against another life form strictly out of insecurity
your ancestors, if they exist somewhere, are looking away in embarrassment at you
>>
>>2101079
>butterfly pea
huh, wikipedia says it's a nootropic
and the tea looks cool
how does one go and get seeds for this? is it even sold?
>>
>>2101176
The internet or
botanic gardens, just take/steal some clones and your good
>Bonus fact Ephedra spp. Is herbal meth would recommend for poor people with adhd
>>
>>2100887
Plants are tough but make sure not to damage the roots. Growth will slow down for a week or two, but they will be fine
>>
>>2100534
Beautiful collection. Emepror 1 looks exactly like an indica/ruderalis hybrid though
>>2100555
i would like to, but if your stance on this is predertemined on that it wont work anyway then this is as far as youll travel.
I did that for shits an giggles with hemp, guess what some dudes smoked it before i got to see it fully ripe. Probably tried to smoke it freshly plucked all wet in a joint and when they failed to get high just threw it out
>>
>>2100890
An auspicious sign. We must expect great and terrible things from this cat.
>>
Should I be worried about where/when I plant my self pollinating vegetables for cross pollination if I want to save their seeds?
>>
>>2101404
Yes. I had my spaghetti squash and pumpkins across the yard. The next year, I planted my seeds I saved from spaghetti squash and ended up with large, orange spaghetti squashes.
>>
>>2101416
So growing them at different times and wrapping the larger flowers is the only way to prevent it. Shit, did your spaghetti pumpkins taste good at least?
>>
>>2101428
I looked into isolation and what I found was people wrapping flowers from buds with a very tight screen so pollinators couldn't get in. Then manually pollinate it.

Yeah, my pumpsghetti was good because it had a slight sweet pumpkin taste. Wife didn't like it though because she doesn't like sweet squashes. I wish I had pictures because it was so weird to be pulling the stringy squash out of a small pumpkin. they lasted nearly 7 months in the pantry too before we ate the last one. Pretty good storage, but that applies to a lot of squash.
>>
What’s wrong with. Tomato’s? The TV were growing great in the beginning then I started to get yellowing leaves/stems from the bottom up. No spots or anything on the leaves.
>>
>>2101468
I think its just dropping the older leaves because they are get to little sun or they are not worth it for the plant to pump energy into.
How is the top looking?
>>
>>2101468
>>2101484 me
Do you lower them down, when they hit the top or theirs no more fruits at the bottom?
Pic related its a neat trick for vine-like growing plants
>>
>>2101484
The plant has seemed to stop producing new tomatoes as the the flowers now just fall off without new fruits. I don’t think the tomato’s are growing in size either.
>>
File: bIMG_5541.jpg (537 KB, 1459x1094)
537 KB
537 KB JPG
City was giving away compost today. I filled up a couple of 102L bins as full as I could while still being able to lift them into the vehicle. Strong ammonia odor coming off the compost, so I needed to keep all the windows open while driving home. I never got that smell off the compost bin in the back yard, but that one is pretty low volume.
>>
>>2101503
Try BlossomDrop on Google I found a pdf with better answers then below
>I'm not a tomato farmer

How much do you water them? I have seen root-rot do the same thing

>But what ever you do to fix it, only use one method per plant, its a great learning experience and you will know exactly what worked
>>
File: true star fan.jpg (445 KB, 1124x1491)
445 KB
445 KB JPG
I don't have chickens but will chicken wire keep the squirrels off of the veggies on my balcony?
>>
>>2096376
That system is a psyop stay away from it.
>>
>>2101503
Fuck it here's a past
Environmental causes:
1. Temperature: Extremetemperaturesuch as high daytimetemperatures (above85o
F/29o C), or high nighttimetemperatures (above70o F/21C), or lownighttime
temperatures (Below55o F/13oC) tomato plants will droptheflowers. Tomatoes grow
best if daytimetemperatures rangebetween 70o F/21oC and85o F/29o C. While
tomatoplants can toleratemoreextremetemperatures for shortperiods, several days
or nights with temps outsidetheideal rangewill causetheplant to abort fruit setand
focus on survival (Mills, 1988). Temperatures over104̊oF/40oC for only four hours
can causetheflowers to abort. If thenight temps fall below55oF or riseabove75o
F or if theday temps areabove85o F, thepollen becomes tacky andnonviable.
Pollination cannot occur. If thebloom isn't pollinated, thebloom dies andfalls off. Chemical growth regulators can sometimes helpovercomelowtemperatureeffects, but theresultingfruit is usually seedless andof poor quality.
2. Humidity: Theideal humidity rangeis between 40 70%. If humidity is eithertoo
high or toolow, it interferes with thereleaseof pollen andwith pollen’s ability to
sticktothestigma.Sopollination will notoccur. If humidity is too low, hosethe
foliageduringtheday. This will both cool theplantandraisethehumidity. This is not
recommendedin areas with high humidity or whenfungus diseases arepresent. Other potential sources of blossom drop:
1. Lack of pollination:Tomatoes needsomehelptopollinate.Insects, windor hand
shakingof theflowers is necessary tocarry thepollen from theantherstothestigma.
Duringextremes weatherconditions, thereareoften no insect pollinators.
>>
>>2101533
Past 2 the meat
2. Humidity: Theideal humidity rangeis between 40 70%. If humidity is eithertoo
high or toolow, it interferes with thereleaseof pollen andwith pollen’s ability to
sticktothestigma.Sopollination will notoccur. If humidity is too low, hosethe
foliageduringtheday. This will both cool theplantandraisethehumidity. This is not
recommendedin areas with high humidity or whenfungus diseases arepresent. Other potential sources of blossom drop:
1. Lack of pollination:Tomatoes needsomehelptopollinate.Insects, windor hand
shakingof theflowers is necessary tocarry thepollen from theantherstothestigma.
Duringextremes weatherconditions, thereareoften no insect pollinators. 2. Nitrogen: High or lowapplication rates of Nfertilizer can causeblossom drop. High
rates of nitrogenfertilization encourage lush vegetativegrowth andinhibitflower
production and/or pollination, resultingin poor fruit set. LowNproduces spindly vines
with lowfoodreserves that cannotsupportacrop.
3. Lack of water:Tomatoes havevery deeproots, andcan sometimes reach down up to 5
feet. Shallowwateringwill stress andweaken theplants. Therootzoneshouldbe
uniformly moist throughoutthegrowingseason to developalarge, healthy rootsystem. 4. Insectdamageor disease: Usegoodcultural practices andtreatfor diseaseas soon as
symptoms appear. Fungal diseases such as botrytis or heavy bacterial spot or speck
pressurecan often causeflowers toabort. 5. Heavyfruit set:When atomato plant has too many blossoms, theresultingfruits areall
competingfor thelimitedfood suppliedby thecrop. Theplant will automatically abort
someflowers. Once theinitial cropis harvested,theproblem shouldsubside.
>>
>>2101528
Nope, for squirrels you need something with tiny holes or else they'll squeeze right through
>>
>>2101544
What skwirls do you have that can fit through chicken wire?
>>
>>2101468
Check the soil for how wet it is, I'm guessing it's either too wet or too dry. Tomatoes don't draw a lot of water from the surface, so if the bottom of the pot is dry the plant can be in trouble. Nifty trick for tomatoes is to cutoff the top of a soda bottle and put it top first into the soil next to the plants and use that to water the plant. That way the water gets to the root quicker and the plant gets enough water.
>>
>>2100743
>illegal
Where? In the US?
>>
>>2096376
>microclimate
>>
I bought 3 maypop passionflowers from logees, got em a month ago and they were about 3 inches tall and looked healthy. I put them out in full sun and have been watering at the prescribed rate, and they've grown approximately 2 inches in a month and a half. I'm in zone 7.
When I look at videos of other peoples maypops, by now theyre already 3-4 feet high and have flower buds. What the fuck gives? Figured they'd be great since they were from such a reputable rare flower shop.
>>
File: bIMG_5547.jpg (645 KB, 1459x1094)
645 KB
645 KB JPG
I decided to plant some of the garden much earlier than usual, partly because I'm not going to do many starter plants. All 4 rows of carrots in, a row each of swiss chard and beets, 2 rows of beans, and all my left over bean seeds from last year spread around the compost bin.

The top inch of soil always dries out super fast, covering the rows keeps the ground moist and vastly improves germination rate, particularly for carrots.

The peas I planted last week are starting to emerge.

I'll start cucumbers and squash indoors right away. And wait at least another week before picking up some tomato starter plants.
>>
>>2101822
>What the fuck gives?
I'm convinced everyone else just floods their plants with fertilizer without regard or care, and it actually ends up yielding them results while leaving my stuff pitifully small.
>>
>>2101826
Or they don't use any fertilizer at all, which is even worse
>>
>>2101826
>>2101833
Luckily I have a farm supply wholesaler right around the corner, they stock like 200 different fertilizer types and varieties and it's all dirt cheap 50 to 100lb bags. I am seriously considering buying a fuckton of fertilizer and blasting my entire yard with the shit.
>>
>>2101826
I use about 1/4 cup of 10-10-10 fertilizer per plant at the time of transplanting, if that helps. I also usually drop a handful of epson salt, lime, bloodmeal, and bonemeal.
>>
i want to put small still growing plants into the soil
I've seen how to prepare land but i have a patch of land that has no grass growing in it since there used to be a plant growing there and it died to frost some day, should i be worried about nutriments in that area if i still put compost/soil in it or should i pick an area with grass?
>>
>>2101913
if you're gonna fill it with compost it wouldn't matter anyway but you can also plant clover, beans or peas as a cover crop to replenish nitrogen in the old soil and use as mulch later on
>>
>>2101822
are you growing it in a container? my passionfruit plant grew a little over one foot in the past four weeks without fertilizer or anything special.
>>
>>2098936
I regrew some Bok Choy with the same method. as long as you do it right they should root
>>
>>2101822
>maypop passionflower
You should be getting seeds for the giant granadilla fruit (passiflora quadrangularis) instead
>>
>>2098936
carrots and ginger/ kurkuma work too
>>
File: 20210508_103846.jpg (1.28 MB, 2160x2160)
1.28 MB
1.28 MB JPG
>>
>>2102037
Requires way too warm of a climate for what my zone allows for
>>
>>2097523
Gooseberries don't taste good. I've grown Amish Red, Hinnomaki Red, Black Velvet, Jahn's Praerie, and Jostaberries into maturity.
They're extremely prolific. Highly fruitful. Tolerant to most soil types. Resistant to over-fertilization. Draught resistant. Pest resistant. Disease resistant.
I dug them all up (it's like digging up trees, they develop such an amazing root system) to replace with blueberries.
>>
bros I've got mushrooms popping up probably 8 inches from where I planted lettuce in a raised bed is this a problem and if it is what's the best way to get rid of them?
>>
>>2102122
gooseberries vs. blueberries.
blueberries:
Tastes good. Aren't prolific (small leaves, shallow root system, vegetates slowly). Not tolerant to most soil types, requires acidic soil. Susceptible to over-fertilization. Susceptible to draught. Susceptible to pests. Susceptible to over-watering. Highly susceptible to bacterial and fungal diseases.
basically, chad gooseberry vs. virgin blueberry
>>
>>2102122
Gooseberries taste fine. Red currants are better, very flavorful if you don't mind sour.
Now black currants, there's a trash fruit. Taste like mud.
>>
>>2102135
Gooseberries definitely don't taste fine fresh. They're edible. They can be made into good pies, jellies and jams.
Fresh, most people don't like them.
Currants are just a pain in the ass. Way too many seeds. And harvesting off of the vine and pulling the individual 1cm diameter berries off of their stems is basically slave labor shit.
>>
>>2101117
Ants are bugs, they barely count as living things. Worker ants will willingly kill themselves if its in the betterment of the colony. Get off your high horse hippy.
>>
>>2102068
Silk worms?
>>
>>2098936
Retard question here, can you just do this basically infinitely or does it only work once? Like can i keep regrowing the same scallions over and over or will they give up?
>>
>>2102135
>Now black currants, there's a trash fruit.
absolutely shit taste detected
>>
What should I use to make 2'x2'x4' raised beds?
>>
>>2102155
The cheapest rigid material you can find, and potting soil.
>>
>>2102142
>Worker ants will willingly kill themselves if its in the betterment of the colony
Humans do this, too.
>>
>>2102130
Its not a problem.
>>
>>2101509
that's damn sweet dude
>>
>>2102146
they give up after some cuttings
if you let them grow, you get a plant from which youd hopefully get seeds to replant
>>
hey, any finn bros here
obsessed with your berry culture because of a finn girl I met
I wanna grow more berries. I just bought physalis and strawberries, I wanna get a shitton of berries
any recommendations for souther europe?
>>
so retard question
I got chives gifted to me
when the leaves get big, can I just harvest all them near the base and expect them to grow again?
>>
>>2097936
>>2097929
You can compost animal manure though. I get mine for free if I go collect it and haul it back. I just mix it with pine needles and leftover vegetable matter, pour some piss on it, some water.
>>
File: red-currant-1.jpg (116 KB, 707x1024)
116 KB
116 KB JPG
>>2102141
>harvesting off of the vine and pulling the individual 1cm diameter berries off of their stems is basically slave labor shit.
lol how are blueberries any better? Anyway currants grow nice in a line so you can pull off a whole handful at a time, no need to pick them one by one.
>>2102146
If you want infinite onions just grow chives. You need to let them grow now and then to recover energy, but if you don't abuse them they will come back year after year.
>>
>>2098293
Slugs? Get some ducks and run them through. Thatll solve it.
>>
>>2098559
Ditch the pine needles, that attracts nasties. Got pine cones? Toss them in your wood chipper and use them as mulch instead. Get the seeds out first if there are any though.
>>
>>2098616
Neem is good but it’s a tree, used to have one. How about saffron?
>>
I've been reading up on humanure composting, and I've found vague reference to feeding compost worms human waste and processing it into worm castings to bypass the stupidly long composting time of other methods. Allegedly human pathogens don't survive the trip through the worm's gut, but that seems sus to me. Does anyone know whether that's true or not?
>>
>>2098616
where do you people get seeds online? or is from a growing place nearby you?
also seconded asaefetida
>>
>>2102145
no. Most likely chafer larvae given the length of the legs
>>
File: file.png (1.26 MB, 606x866)
1.26 MB
1.26 MB PNG
top is cucumbers, rosemary and mint
so far only the cucumbers have sprouted, fucking cool
bottom is black eyed susans, nasturtium, cali poppies and nothing's come up yet :(
>>
Im kinda curious of growing poppies
they look so pretty, so I was thinking
do the regular ones have any ammount of drugs inside? or only the opium ones have medicinal properties?
>>
>>2102390
Papaver somniferum, or bread seed poppies are the opium ones.

California and oriental poppies don't. They all generally have some kind of medicinal properties though...just not opium.
>>
plantlet here, what exactly do i prune/cut from plants?

i've read that you can cut off dying flowers to get new ones quicker and i've also heard people cutting dying leaves off, when's the right time to cut them off?
>>
>>2102135
>>2102141
imo gooseberries only taste good when at peak ripeness. otherwise they taste like sour apples. unfortunately ants here also know when they are at peak ripeness and get to them faster.
>>
File: file.png (666 KB, 479x493)
666 KB
666 KB PNG
moved some of the sunflowers to an area with more sun, I broke up the ground underneath and removed any weeds, added compost, fertilizer, soil and then mulch
>>
>>2102390
breadseed poppies ARE opium poppies
they're technically illegal to grow in the US but it's not like it's enforced unless you get caught with a huge field of them. we even grew them at my high school garden.
>>
File: 1599442312214.jpg (33 KB, 400x266)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>recently got gardening gloves
>also noticed a new type of weed growing
>decide to clutch it firmly to yank it out
>it's completely covered in small thorns that pierce through the glove fabric
>>
File: 20210507_171817.jpg (2.49 MB, 4032x3024)
2.49 MB
2.49 MB JPG
Anyone have any idea what this guy is? He's munching on my liche tomato.
>>
>>2102423
>ants

make a circle of borax around the trunk
>>
>>2102082
Start it indoors and bring it out when it gets warm, dummy
>>
>plant anything
>kangaroos or cockatoos eat it or dig up the seeds
>>
my broccoli plant had a new head on it yesterday, went to check on it this morning and the entire plant is gone. Very small mound of dirt next to it but it’s like it was never there.

Any idea what would take the entire plant? All my other plants seem to be unbothered
>>
>>2102695
could someone have stolen it? i don't think any animals would uproot a whole plant and not leave any scraps behind
>>
>>2102699
I doubt it. We’re in the country so there’s no foot traffic and it’s in our backyard which is basically gated.

I’m thinking it’s an animal but it taking the whole plant and not touching the plants doesnt make sense. I’m still very new to gardening though
>>
>>2102701
a family member?
>>
new thread

>>2102707
>>2102707
>>
>>2102704
himself (sonambulism)
>>
>>2102601
cassidinae
>>
>>2102298
It’s possible but why risk it?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.