[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

#389-“April Showers” Edition

Previous Thread:
>>2088082

Thinking about picking up a new hobby? Want to get a memecaster? Haven't mastered the Palomar knot? Click here!
http://www.pastebin.com/u/fishingandtackle
https://imgur.com/a/1Xw3N

First for best telescopic rod is the one you exchanged for a 3pc.

Talk about fishin
>>
My father once said "You can lead a horse to water but you can't teach him to fish because he doesn't have hands. Now monkeys have hands but you lead them to water and they get scared, ya know cause the sterotype is that they can't swim. Nah really there's a place for all God's creatures... right next to the french fries! I was down at the Bass Pro the other day, just leaning on the counter shootin' the shit 'cause I don't shop much there these days and I says to Dale there my son's been watching those weird Jap cartoons again, one of em was even about little girls going fishing! Huh! Anyways the point is that fishing is like women, fucking close to water HAHA! No really son listen to me, the thing about fish is that you gotta out smart em and kids these days is dumb as a screen door. Hell, I mean when I was your age I got me a real job doing man's work none of this computer mumbo-jumbo! You couldn't catch a fish with your fancy Playstation now could ya? Now listen up, ya got no attention span 'cause that damn cellphone, the real secert to fishing though is this three secrets: If it ain't chartreuse, it's no use, don't answer no phone calls from the wife, bring more beer than you think ya need and always lie to em about the size HAHAHA! Oh shit, hand me another bud light, what time is it?"
How true is this about fishing?
>>
How much do you guys pay for fishing per year and where do you live? Dont count gear costs, just permits licences and shit.
>>
File: 1592978010724.jpg (94 KB, 350x490)
94 KB
94 KB JPG
>>2095311
>club membership (includes fishing in local area): 40e
>national fish loicense: 40e
>finland
>>
>>2095311
Wisconsin
$20 for license
$10 for inland lake trout stamp
$10 for great lakes trout stamp
>>
>>2095193
I agree. Even having a fin on my FrankenSUP can be a real pain in the ass on skinny water. I had it hang up in a river on me one time, but thankfully the water just washed right over the board rather than flipping it. The board does have distinct benefits, just as much as it has distinct disadvantages. I use a 5lb hand weight as an anchor. I haven't gotten a drift sock yet.

>>2095311
$26 for my state, both salt and freshwater, but I also do some traveling, so I would say all told $60-70.
>>
>>2095311
~$60 Southern California
>>
>>2095311
$27.60 CAD for a seasonal Nova Scotia resident (freshwater) license. Saltwater is actually unlicensed but regulated here. There's a seperate one for recreational salmon fishing but it's catch and release only so I don't bother.
>>
What are some good cheap nets that won't get entangled like crazy with my lures?

Also I caught my first trout today!
>>
File: download.png (944 KB, 1087x850)
944 KB
944 KB PNG
>>2095330
congrats anon, I love trout fishing above all else. any pics?
As for nets, you don't need to spend $150 on a fishpond one (no matter how cool the camo is on them) but any net that uses rubber should work decent enough. go check out a few in person at Cabela's or something to see how long of a handle you want and how big of a bag. any of the chinese stuff should be good for like$25. not only is rubber way better for the fish (espeecially trout) it doesn't hook your lures nearly as bad as the other ones.
>>
>>2095311
I think I paid $32 for my PA license with trout stamp and the extra cost for conservation efforts since I'm a chud. Tomorrow I'm driving 3 hours one way to fish a stream. The gas costs me a few hundred per year but usually includes backpacking for the weekend so I don't mind.
>>
File: fish.png (2.05 MB, 1920x1080)
2.05 MB
2.05 MB PNG
What are these thin silver fish at the top? Some kind of Needlefish? Baby barracuda? I have a timestamp of when they show up.
https://youtu.be/_axXT62MJhY?t=119
>>
>>2095354
Cuda
>>
>>2095311
$27.something CAD for a year's fishing in my province, more if you don't live here and less if you do but you're old as shit.
>>
My TW shipment is finally arriving after two weeks. I don't think the rod did though, rip...
>>
>>2095311
freshwater annual is a £20 government license and a £60 club membership that gives me access to a whole bunch of local canals lakes and rivers
>>
most recent pickup, what do you guys think?
>>
Nice banded anon. The marbling looks pretty cool
>>
>>2095311
license is 77€ for local freshwater fishing / 100€ to fish countrywide
No license needed for salt/brackish water fishing

>France
>>
File: pepe toast.jfif.jpg (16 KB, 480x360)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
>>2095411
simply exquisite. sir
>>
>>
>>2095544
Yeah that'll fish
>>
Whats a good hook/bait combo to catch multi specieis in weedy pond?

I havent fished in like 10 years an dlast tiem I just used a worm to catch bluegill in shallows.

Is there an alternative to live worms I can use so i dont have to be butchering worms every time a bluegill steals one?

What kind of other tackle should I buy?
>>
I've never been so excited to fish tomorrow. Brookies here I come.
>>
Why the fuck is fishing so damned expensive in Europe and why do you also have to pay to be part of a club on top of that?
>>
>>2095605
Euros love being dominated, that’s why.
>>
>>2095605
Cos dehr er majesty's fish guv'nuh!
>>
>>2095605
>and why do you also have to pay to be part of a club on top of that?

It has to do with the history Riparian Rights. In Europe the owner of the land adjoining a section of one side of a river or stream usually owns the exclusive fishing rights on the bank of that side, and these rights extend out to the middle of the water. An owner whose land adjoins a pond or lake has similar rights which extend as far as the middle of the water, unless the owned land encircles the water body in which case all of the fishing rights are owned. These fishing rights may be sold or more commonly leased for significant sums of money to third parties, such as angling clubs, as separate rights quite distinct from ownership of the adjacent land.

In the US more or less all navigable waters are public property including recreational fishing rights. Then on top of that we have municipal, county, state, and federal ownership of water bodies that are typically public access and public fishing rights as well.
>>
Why are Fenwick Eagles out of stock everywhere
>>
>>2095676
Fenwick is owned by Pure Fishing. I have noticed that a lot of the rod brands under Pure Fishing have been low or missing from sporting goods stores near me compared to how it was pre-pandemic.
>>
>>2095686
Pure Fishing seems to acquire and stop producing a lot of stuff. Something is fishy about them, pardon the pun.
>>
Went fishing today with a bobber and the worm on my hook kept getting torn off. Happened at least 5 times and I didn't catch anything. Were fishies stealing my bait or something else?
>>
>>2095703
Probably. They're not exactly durable. Did you not see the bobber plop down?
>>
>>2095311
In Vermont, an annual resident fishing license currently costs $28. If, like me, you also hunt, a hunting/fishing combo license is $47 (a $9 discount compared to the cost of the licenses individually). One can also buy five-year licenses instead of annual ones, but I never have.

There is no extra stamp required for trout here. There is a conservation stamp, but it's an optional donation. There's also now (since last year) a baitfish endorsement required if you want to use/transport personally harvested baitfish away from the waterbody where they were harvested, but it's free (you just have to pass an online course).

The state additionally offers lottery tickets for a chance at a permanent license ($2/ticket, and you can buy as many as you want). I usually buy a few. Once you turn 66 you can buy a permanent license for just $60 without bothering with the lottery.
>>
>>2095703
If this happens a lot, try sizing down your hook and bait. It was probably a bunch of fish too small to swallow the bait tearing at it.
>>
>>2095298
Nice crackwhore op
>>
File: Eimc-XbXYAAYm87.jpg (98 KB, 800x800)
98 KB
98 KB JPG
>>2095311
>MS
>$8 or so for a fishing license
>>
File: 1480309421933.jpg (13 KB, 332x332)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
>>2095311
>Southern California
>License Fee: $52.66
>Saltwater Fee: $5.67
>Second rod fee: $16.46

dis sum boooshiet
>>
>>2095311

No license required in the salt

Hawaii
>>
>>2095311
Arizona $37 statewide all species all waters except as modified in the annual reg guide lasts one full year from activation date
>>
>>2095770
You don't need 2nd rod fee for saltwater, only for freshwater if you don't know.
>>
>>
>>2095770
heh, plus parking and lake fees. Also get shorted on basic amenities and night access.
>>
>>2095411
Hilarious, please post a picture when you catch something
>>
>>2095311
Michigan. $20 for all species all waters, one year.
>>
Went fishing yesterday in a local river. Absolutely no life forms in it whatsoever. I just want to live next to a comfy stream full of life, is that too much to ask?
>>
>>2095333
Didn't take a picture, it was a fairly large one. Thanks I'll order a rubber net
>>
>>2095311
Germany
8€ fishing fee
~500€ loicences to actually go fishing
Fisherman's hell
>>
>>2095670
So by extension, what you're telling me is that most fishable water in Europe rests on or directly adjacent to private land. Up here in Soviet Canada, you do need the landowner's permission to fish in water on their property, but most water isn't on someone's property.
>>
>>2095955
wake me up inside
though most of 1 lure loicenses are 5€/y tho
>>
>>2095311
~35 for annual license, 11 for extra rod stamp

>t coloradan
>>
>>2096056
Whaddaya mean, extra rod stamp? You gotta pay to bring more than one rod?
>>
File: IMG_20210502_150441.jpg (3.86 MB, 3472x4640)
3.86 MB
3.86 MB JPG
A pike was following my lure, but it didn't want to strike
I tried slight twitches, but he just went away
What's the deal
>>
>>2096155
Next time try a short pause and then speed up. Usually baitfish dont slow down when they see a predator following them.
>>
>>2095928
what the fuck dude, why does it cost so much, lot of privates waters ?
also is it true that catch and release is -in theory at least- verboten ?
>>
File: Chinese Lure.png (539 KB, 800x800)
539 KB
539 KB PNG
Our local lakes are infested with parasites already this year, not to mention 3 years ago eco fags cut the nets at a salmon hatchery in our area and half a million salmon were released early. Our rivers are still reeling from it. Fishing sucks this year.
>>
Are ned rig jigheads worth it/necessary? They seem really expensive compared to normal ball jigheads
>>
>>2096266
You can convert ball jigheads by hammering the front flat
>>
>>2095789
nice pony tail, faggot.
>>
Went to the lake with my brother in our inflatable and he caught 3 rainbows in quick succession on a beadhead wooly bugger. A lot of boats passed by and we didn't get anything after that, unfortunately, but still a good time. One of the rainbows swallowed the fly and I could only see the bead. I tried clamping the bead but could not get a good grip. Was there anything I could have done?
>>
North Carolina bros...
All last month I caught nothing.
Am I retarded?
>>
>>2096301
yes
>>
>>2096301
Go to Hatteras and catch some big reds or sharks
>>
File: 20210502_160738.jpg (2.94 MB, 3264x2448)
2.94 MB
2.94 MB JPG
I wish ohio had more wild trout. I also with I hadn't missed the only take on my Adam's, a decent chub came up when exploded on it.
>>
>>2096266
If you are a dedicated bass angler I suppose. Since ned baits are typically oversized not much else you can reliably catch on them besides green sunfish and redbreast.
>>
>>2096366
Skid! Tenkarafag here. I got 3 brookies on the flies I tied recently! What a great feeling that was. 2 on the CDC caddis and 1 on a wooly bugger. I felt like shit today and didn't get any pictures but I did get pic related. I've been looking for ramps this year harder than fishing natives. Rewarding day even though I puked 4.5 miles into my 8.4 mile day.
>>
>>2095700
Well like most companies when they acquire another company its for strategic purposes. They aren't going have to their brands compete too hard with each other. For example for their freshwater rods, they have Shakespeare for your first rod, ugly stik for the entry level, and then fenwick when you are willing to spend some significant sums. At $60 the eagle line is pretty close to ugly stik turf so I can see them not pushing that model too hard. But regardless their brands have been hit pretty hard by covid supply chain issues.
>>
>>2095298
Today I went trout fishing for the first time, but didn't catch a single one in 4 hours. I was using a weighted bobber with about two feet of line on the end, a size 8 hook, and red power eggs. I also tried a carolina rig with the same bait. What did I do wrong? Almost everyone else at the lake caught something.
>>
>>2096718
it's a good idea to talk to other fishermen on the lake in this situation and see what they think, it could be something as simple as that you aren't casting into deep enough water or whatever.
>>
>>2096657
Glad to hear you had a good time. Catching fish on flies and lures you tied or made yourself is dope.
>>
>>2095851
Lol. Rivers change every few weeks... find out whats running/spawning or whatever. For instance my local river is empty of species in the winter besides pike and steelhead and brown trout. Spring time brings the white suckers and carp. Now the smallmouth and chubs are starting to pop up. Then the dead of summer is goby everywhere and large mouth, smallmouth, bluegill, perch, pike.
>>
Do I have a hope for surf halis with soft plastics?
>>
>>2096836
Berkley Gulp! is your Lord and Savior. Whether it be a sandworm, grub, or minnow, this blessed soft plastic will procure legal halis from the great Pacific.
>>
>>2096874
I've only got perch on the ole camo sandworms in probably a dozen outings.
>>
>>2096875
What size hook you be using? I also target the shoreline near jetties. I think halibuts like the sand near the rocks but I could be very wrong.
>>
>>2096889
Size 6 bait holders. Have (6,4,2) mosquitos, (2,1,1/0,2/0,3/0) Wide Gap Offset, (2,1) Straight Shank Worm. Probably will try a hi/low with straight shanks and 3.5" Keitech. I don't hear of many halibuts in the area I fish, it's pretty much all sandy bottom I think.
>>
>>2095770
>Southern California
>>License Fee: $52.66
>>Saltwater Fee: $5.67
>>Second rod fee: $16.46

Second rod fee lmao.
>>
>>2095311
Just renewed for the year in ole Virginia
$39.50 for fresh/salt
$23.00 for trout
$4.00 for national forests
$5.00 for a hard card with a picture of a fish on
>>
File: 1616554582915.jpg (31 KB, 562x583)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
60cm pike, decent start for the season
caught it with my shitty old spinning reel too
>>
When are new eps of houkago teibo nisshi coming?
>>
I have a spinning combo I got years ago on sale at dicks for 60 bucks,

Went into store today to buy tackle and was overwelmed. Any suggestions for brand new fisherman for non live bait practice? Pond fishing.
>>
>>2097245
Depends what's in your pond.

Senkos (worms), offset shank worm hooks, and some bullet weights. Youtube texas and wacky rigs and just copy how someone rigs their line. Youll be in for a good time.
>>
>>2097252
Anything I can use to catch both bass and panfish?
>>
>>2096889
Socal fisherman/diver here, halibut like the sand within ~15' of the edge of a reef or eelgrass bed. They'll bite plastics just fine too, though you may wanna experiment with stinger hooks or something, they like to bite the tail of a bait.
>>
Imagine paying for a fishing license
>>
File: 1616621162738.jpg (27 KB, 686x614)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
>>
>>2095307
Based
>>
>>2097289
Small jigs and light jigheads. Bass will bite less often, but they do still work. My largest bass of the year was on a crappie set up.
>>
Just bought an inflatable to fish trout with.

Any setup tips for lake fishing trout? Average weather in east coast is 60-80 degrees these days, lake seems murky.
>>
>>2097356
I went to the lake last week and caught 16 bass that were 8-17" on my ul saltwater setup, all but 2 of them were on a 2" keitech paddletail and a 1.8-2.5g jighead. The other two were on 1.5" poppers. Only caught 1 bluegill though, I woulda thought the ratio woulda been the other way around.
>>
>>2097375
Yesterday was raining but no lightning, so I got my rain jacket out thinking it would be a topwater kind of day. I tossed a baby bass spook around everywhere, but got one little bass. I switched to my smaller crappie jig and caught a gamut of bass, bluegill, and some crappie. I even landed a decent 2 pound bass. If there's a prevalence of little bait, little lures work. I probably would have done better with a smaller popper because bugs are hatching here, but all the fish I caught seemed to be hanging off deeper ledges and wanted easy meals. Gonna try a tandem rig I tied very poorly last night. First try, but everyone has to start somewhere.
>>
>>2095298
I inherited a 30+ year old Silstar 3545 2.90m graphite rod, can I use that for trout fishing? Its got 4 different tips, I think its a precursor to feeding rods but it is very lightweight (10g throwing weight) and I fear I could break it while troutfishing. Also which reel should I pair it with?
>>
>>2097497
Could you take a photo of the label graphics on the rod?
>>
File: bachforelle.jpg (460 KB, 1599x899)
460 KB
460 KB JPG
I am new to fishing. Cought this big ass trout. Kinda proud of myself desu. Almost half a meter. (European river trout)
>>
>>2095307
extremely
>>
>>2097532
The label graphics are as follows:
Sec.:2
Length: 2.9m
Action: C-10
High density Carbon
Its pretty hard to read so a pic doesnt really help...
>>
>>2097547
Petri Heil nigger
>>
File: cum2.jpg (26 KB, 400x600)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
based french
>>
>>2096242
Farm fish will usually outcompete the natives. But eco terrorist deserve the rope.
>>
>>2097684
no idea what action:c10 means

so this is a quivertip rod usually used for bait fishing. I don't think it would perform very well for lure fishing, the tips are going to be super sensitive and might snap if you cast something too heavy

It would be fine if you were float fishing for trout, I guess. Are you American?
>>
>>2096080
No, you just have to pay to actually fish with more than one rod at a time (people mostly do this while boating). Most states allow two or three lines for open-water fishing (usually more for ice fishing), but some charge for the privilege.
>>
>>2097805
tfw unlimited lines in saltwater, 2 max per public pier, 2 max with extra fee for freshwater
>>
>>2097805
>>2097817
Then there's Minnesota, where it's always 1 rod at a time except for ice fishing and fishing border waters.
>>
File: 1600554412663.jpg (158 KB, 648x402)
158 KB
158 KB JPG
>>2095307
you took the words right out of my mouth
>>
>>2097708
99% of "environmentalists" have little to no knowledge on ecology, biology or any environmental science for that matter. They got a local walleye rehabilitation program cancelled because "netting the fish is bad".
>>
>>2097817
>>2097822
We don't have any saltwater in Vermont, but we can have two lines without any stamp. For ice fishing, the limit is fifteen on Lake Champlain, and eight elsewhere. Each line can have two baited hooks, or two lures (multi-hook bait harnesses count as lures, not hooks), or three flies.

>>2097844
This. I saw this phenomenon up close when I took forestry in college and a lot of my fellow students had a hard time coming to terms with the idea that virgin or old-growth forest isn't necessarily a healthy ecosystem.
>>
>>2097146
Never ever
>>
>>2097708
I saw a very interesting video about how stocked fish weaken the gene pool and outcompete native species and how it damages the ecosystem, which sounds about like what you're describing. I wish I was more educated on the subject though.
>>
>>2095307
If I had a wife, or gf, or anything, that would be me, but instead of a bud light I always carry a bottle of the bottom shelf vodka HAHA! LOL!
>>
>>2097863
It can drastically improve genetics when done right. It more evident in musky stocking with the Mississippi (Leech Lake) or Ottawa River strain increasing the size or growth rate of future generations. The fish get stunted when the genetic pool is stagnated (i.e. same 2 fish being used year after year for eggs and sperm). It also fucks up fisheries if the stocked fish are sterile but still try to spawn.
>>
>>2095604
Post pics anon!
>>
>>2097766
Nope, im european. Thanks for the help fren, i will go shop a trout route today
>>
I'm going to be sailing from SF to Hawaii and I plan to do some fishing along the way. I used to go freshwater fishing when I was younger but I have no idea what to get for saltwater trolling. What would you guys recommend I get for some handline trolling?
>>
What color lenses do you wear when fishing?
>>
Older dude I know gave some advice and I'd like to share. The set up is splitting a zoom trick worm about 2-3 inches dead centering using a 2/0 straight shank worm hook, add a 2mm rattle, and tie off with a palomar knot. No weight, working slow like a jig and letting it drift back down. Suppose to drive the bass insane.
>>
I do like a parcel full of stupidly expensive lures for my birthday
>>
File: IMG_20210504_113310.jpg (3.37 MB, 4608x3456)
3.37 MB
3.37 MB JPG
>>2098218
>>
File: IMG_20210504_113458.jpg (4.21 MB, 4608x3456)
4.21 MB
4.21 MB JPG
>>2098220
https://imgur.com/a/ZJbGxUI
>>
>>2098222
I feel like I want some duo realis jerkbaits, but I'd probably never fish with them because I don't want to lose $15+.
>>
>>2095311
>>2095928
Stop going to cuck waters kek
I pay 7€/year for the licence.
40€/year for the specific waters, but I pay 20€ because I'm legally disabled.
So normal is ~47€/year.
I pay 27€/year.
Pretty cheap desu. But you have to pay per body of water, so you are pretty much stuck to a few rivers / lakes for every "water licence".
Private property and lakes can get more expensive.
The river I fish has like 36 species of fish in it, so there's plenty of variety, but it's not that easy to find good spots.
>>
File: reddit.gif (33 KB, 343x105)
33 KB
33 KB GIF
>>2095311

Same as this anon >>2097123 but I probably spend alot more when I go with friends because they always want to go to ocean view peir to fish and I bring the beers. I like the amount of croakers and trout I catch there but man do I hate all the skate and mother fuckers who cast over me.
>>
>>2096222
It costs so much bc boomers absolutely destroyed the rivers in europe with pollution, water electricity and overfishing
>>
>>2098231
Yeah! These are not going to be fished over anything other than sandy coasts that I know have no rocks or snags lol
>>
What you think eating fish out of rivers in urban areas? Gross?
>>
Born again fisher who needs advice. Without a permit i can go to a nearby Lake and can fish with one rod and a simple hook.

My Problem is, i always fished at rivers. Can someone give me some tips? Good locations on the riverbank?
>>
>>2095311
30 Canadabucks for a fishing liscence, I spend at least 10x that on gear though honestly
>>
>>2095770
If there was an option for a second rod during the spring and summer in Canada I would pay a fee for it

During Ice fishing I have like 5 rods with 3 hooks each though
>>
>>2098453
If you don't mind very high mercury and sewage contamination then go ahead
>>
>>2098453
Probably fine with one serving/week max.
>>
>>2098453
I never eat fish from large rivers that have passed through large cities since they are pretty much all heavily polluted. A whole lot of contaminants other than mercury are found in fish from large rivers like PCBs. I also don't really trust state governments to be up on new emerging contaminants from manufacturing.

Like, maybe if that river is the only waterway available to fish from, but I don't know why anybody would if they have access to cleaner lakes or smaller rivers that are not as polluted.
>>
any streams or rivers in ohio that hold native trout?
>>
>>2098867
Lmgtfy https://www.cleveland19.com/story/1284377/brook-trout-making-return-in-ohio/
>>
>>2098875
Why is Ohio such a shit hole.
>>
>>2098934
A good percentage of astronauts are from Ohio. Shit's so bad they wanted to leave the Earth.
>>
>>2097395
It worked. Neither were giants, but I had my first double up on my first tandem rig. That makes me happy.
>>
Gonna try my luck again with the artificial in the south bay tomorrow. Will use some gulp sandworms if I get desperate.
>>
>>2098867
>>2098875
Good luck anon I'm still looking myself. And for the love of god, if you find one, dont tell anyone about your spot.
>>
>>2099114
>>2098867
That said if you wanna go fishing some time. . .
>>
Anyone ever tried handlining goliath grouper from a jet ski? Could be fun.
>>
>>2099200
They're easier to manage with a rope than rod and reel.
>>
Here are prices of austrian fishing licenses. I feel raped.
>>
File: Pufferfish champion.webm (1.56 MB, 360x360)
1.56 MB
1.56 MB WEBM
Why do so many anglers ignore PCBs? Mercury is one thing since it seems to not be too bad in adult men, but PCBs have a lot of evidence showing they are seriously toxic, acting as a hormone disruptor and likely contributing to cancer. They are also fucking everywhere in waterways near cities or industrial areas. People still keep giant, old trout out of the great lakes, massive catfish from the Mississippi, and resident salmon from the puget sound without a second though. Like, people will feed this shit to their young children and pregnant wife. Is this ignorance, or do people not think it actually is a problem?
>>
>>2095411
What are you going fishing with /b/?
Jeezer!
>>
>>2099256
I just follow my state's guideline of 1 meal a month. I assume must they know what they're talking about
>>
>>2099386
*they must
>>
>>2097846
Im a geologist. It's similar to when they tell you fracking isnt bad when done properly. The people in there for the feel goods of muh climate change couldn't keep an open mind. It's almost like liberals are the most closed minded emotional people on the planet.
>>
>>2098045
They few I caught I didn't get any pictures. I ended up puking since I wasn't feeling good. These brookies were very floppy and would jump right out of the net.
>>
>>2099256
Catfishermen are some of the dumbest people you'll meet. Bioaccumulation is fake like climate change and is designed to take their guns away. These people unironically deserve to die.
>>
>>2098875
do you know just how many tributaries to the Rocky River there are?
>>
>>2099256
Full grown adults can still eat tainted catch periodically without any discernable negative effects which is why macho guys do it I assume. For example, the industrial harbor near me you could catch and cook white catfish 4 times a year if you really wanted to. Personally I don't eat anything that a pregnant women or child couldn't safely eat.
>>
>>2098867
I don’t think it’s legal to fish for brook trout in Ohio since they’re a threatened species
>>
>>2099431
Nah, they are only prohibited only the Chagrin and the Rocky. Reduced creel limit of the Mad and Mohican, everywhere else is 5 a day.
>>
File: IMG_20210505_192418.jpg (1.84 MB, 4640x2610)
1.84 MB
1.84 MB JPG
think im good to get some big pikes with these?
>>
>>2099256
Ignorance, 100%
>>2099400
This too, catfishing is mostly an excuse to get drunk in public
>>2099424
Exactly, they wont tell you because if they do some chud is going to go there and fuck up the bookies. That's why when I caught steelhead in a creek and coworkers asked where I got it I only told them "a tributary of the ashtabula river"
>>2099431
>>2099446
I thought fishing was fine, possession was the crime.
>>2099533
I like that perch one
>>
>>2099557
I have never even been to Ohio I just looked it up because that didn't seem correct. Where I fish possession includes catch and release fishing so if you stop to land it or take a picture or measure it that counts as possessing it. I will defer the specifics to someone who actually fishes in Ohio.
>>
>>2099557
>I like that perch one
It's a new production Abu Hi-Lo
They used to make them from wood but nowadays ther're a bit chinkier
>>
File: 1594232751676.jpg (39 KB, 894x1032)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>>2099563
oh, you mean the shad
thats actually a zander, a pike perch if you will
im pretty drunk
>>
>>2099557
This coming from a guy that spends hundreds of hours trying to catch dink trout. I'll stick to catching big boy sized fish
>>
>>2099614
ur cute :3 lets go fish out some day :3
>>
>>2099430
That's the thing about PCBs, though. Unlike mercury, we do not metabolize it and we store it in fat so your levels just slowly go up even if you follow "safe" guidelines. It mimics estrogen, too, so you would think those people who make a giant fuss about soi would be concerned about it.
>>
Well hello there friend.
>>
Does any company/website actually sell a decent beginner freshwater fishing tackle bundle?

When I went to walmart the other day they all looked shit/people opened them and stole shit otu of them.
>>
>>2100069
pond or river? panfish or bass?
>>
>>2100108
pond.

Bass/panfish.
>>
Whats the quickest/easiest way to check where permits are required here in the States? Im going to be roadtripping this summer from the UP to Seattle down back to AZ
>>
>>2100172
Forgot to add. Catch and release 90% of the time
>>
>>2100174
Usually doesn't matter if you harvest or not, still will need a license and it's entirely dependent on state
>>
>>2099256
Yeah don't eat the fish they're poison. The veggies are also full of glyphosate so don't touch those. Probably best not to breathe either 'cause those particulates from the coal plants will surely give you cancer.
I once knew a guy who ate the fish and within 30 years he was dead. Not even once.
>>
>>2100069
>they all looked shit

well that's kind of the point. gives you cheap stuff so you can try things out. A proper tackle bundle would be so expensive no beginner would actually buy it.
>>
>>2100172
You are going to have to get a non-resident fishing license for every state you want to fish in. The only exceptions will be: states that allow free saltwater fishing, fishing piers where the private company or town has already paid license fees for anyone to fish there, or fishing on a boat with a captain where they have already paid out any license fees.
>>
File: 1618273850724.jpg (2.45 MB, 3741x1074)
2.45 MB
2.45 MB JPG
>>2099635
dink trout fishing is most based
>>
>>2100444
Checked and native brook trout fishing is the most based of all.
>>
File: IMG_20210506_133105.jpg (3.24 MB, 3968x2976)
3.24 MB
3.24 MB JPG
I went troutfishing today too.
>>
>>2100464
Thats a lot. Do you stab them in the gills?
>>
>>2100464
Awesome job, anon! Currently unable to fish due to work and shit, so a little jealous
>>
>>2100465
Yes first i knock them out with by hitting them on the back of the head with a blunt object and then i stab them in the gills to let them bleed out. It was on a trout lake, I would never catch that many in a wild population.
>>2100468
Thanks, i hope you will soon be able to fish again fren
>>
>>2095789
i can't read that facial expression
>>
File: 1611508287581.jpg (29 KB, 686x564)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>
>>2100184
>>2100381
Thanks!
>>
File: IMG_20210506_163943.jpg (4.01 MB, 4608x3456)
4.01 MB
4.01 MB JPG
Blanked but still a nice day
>>
>>2100573
ah thats a nice setting. lots of birds around there?
>>
>>2100577
yeah lots, moorhens swans terns and some others I don't know, never really been much of a birdwatchers
>>
Anybody into microfishing and have an opinion on mono line weight ? I have been throwing rigs for sub ultra light dinks on 2 lb mono test and been having a lot of breaks off when I hook into something bigger. Are the smaller species line shy of 4 lb mono ?
>>
>>2100362
T. got a hefty load of mercury as a fetus
>>
>>2100172
You'll have to check with the various states' fish and game departments. They should all have websites. Most, if not all, publish a digest in PDF form that has all of the relevant regulations and license information. Licenses aside, you'll want to grab those anyway, because each state sets its own seasons (even for C&R) and limits (which typically vary by waterbody), and its own rules regarding tackle.

Non-resident licenses aren't cheap, especially out West where licenses in general are typically pricey by Eastern standards. You may want to looking into the availability of short-term licenses. Here in Vermont, for instance, we have discounted 1-, 3-, and 7-day licenses available for non-residents, and I think most states have similar options available.

>>2100381
Also, some states which don't actually require a license for saltwater still require you to register with some kind of harvest information program (e.g., New York was this way, last time I checked).

Some states, like mine, also have occasional "free fishing days," when anyone may fish without a license.
>>
>>2100692
I've asked this here in the past an the consensus was that 2# mono is a meme. Frankly, I've been frustrated lately watching my father have more luck catching dink wild natives with 8# mono and #6 hooks baited with earthworms than I've had with my light/ultralight gear.
>>
I’m looking for the perfect setup (rod, reel, and line) to throw 1/16oz slider heads with 4” lizards and 3.5” craws
Want great sensitivity with good casting distance and ability for strong hook sets
Target: largemouth

Any suggestions?
>>
File: 20210506_173029.jpg (3.64 MB, 1932x2517)
3.64 MB
3.64 MB JPG
Nice metro Detroit brownie on size 4 panther martin gold. Smacked it before i even started reelin.
>>
>>2100756
St Croix Mojo in Medium with a Pflueger Supreme XT.
>>
File: 20210506_143104.jpg (1.76 MB, 2576x1932)
1.76 MB
1.76 MB JPG
>>2100788
Caught 30 or so rainbows this size or bigger today, panther martin size 2. Just dragging it through rapids. Any tips to catch more browns?
>>
>>2100789
Forgot line. 30 lb braid main line and 20 lb mono leader.
>>
>>2099256
Ignorance and denial. Just like people still pay money for and eat heavily contaminated farmed salmon despite them being independently tested with higher PCB and mercury levels than natural populations living in polluted regions. Both PCB and mercury are bioaccumulative and lipophillic, meaning once ingested they don't easily leave your body and bind to fat and can cause reproductive and cognitive issues without many noticeable symptoms in moderate amounts over many years.
>>
>>2100789
>>2100795
Thanks

What length on the rod do you think is best?
>>
File: StriperCity.jpg (306 KB, 1151x568)
306 KB
306 KB JPG
Striper anon checking in. Schoolies are up in my area now and it is a blitz. Caught a really nice one but it snapped my rod. Think a clouser collision might have been to blame.
This little guy ran on my 3 times before he tired out and came to hand. Got em on a size 1/0 chartreuse and white clouser.
Boomers are never wrong, if it's not chartreuse it aint no use.
>>
>>2100904
How do people break rods? I've never broken a rod in all my life, i simply retire them when the guides wear grooves. And i catch salmon, steelhead, carp, pike, etc...
>>
>>2100958
Are you a fly fag? Earlier today I was casting into a heavy wind coming across my casting arm and it blew my clouser back into the tip of my rod (clousers have heavy dumbell eyes). This probably weakened the carbon and when I was fighting this fish and he got close I high sticked him a little too much to grab him and it snapped. I don't think it would have broken if I didn't have the damage. 45 bucks and have to send it out for repairs.
>>
>>2100958
I have had a cheap ass rod just break spontaneously. Other than manufacturing defect I would imagine boat flipping probably breaks a lot of rods.
>>
>>2100444
I'd rather stay home personally. Not very many trout fisherman that aren't autistic
>>
>>2100961
Nope. I only use spinning setups.
>>
File: 1600795774534 (1).jpg (53 KB, 1280x1036)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
Hey guys. I am going to the coast of Long Island and wanted to do some fishing. But I only have freshwater gear. My heaviest line is 10 lb test and I have a decently heavy rod geared towards sheepshead and lake trout and bigger freshwater fish. I also have medium and light action rods. What kind of fishing should I look to do?
>>
Need reccomendations for the best polarized fishing sunglasses
>>
File: nmk.jpg (127 KB, 828x960)
127 KB
127 KB JPG
DO fishs like boloney? I got a free 11lb chunk last month from work, started selling it in 1/4 chunks. mostly the homeless crazys and dope fiends bought it but they tired of eating it. Im fishing in the mornin an was wondering. frend said put some onions suace an cool aids on it an let it set over tonite. what you boy say?
>>
Going to big bear lake in California this weekend to fish for both trout and bass, have a cabin with a dock up in Arrowhead too. Any advice for anyone who fished there? Hope to god it's still spawn up there.
>>
$60 for 3 year conservation loicense in ontario
>>
>>2101092
Don't know about big gamefish but bluegills and bullheads will eat it.
>>
>>2101092
Why would you sell baloney to crack heads? I don’t feel like the monetary return would be worth dealing with the homeless.
>>
>>2101092
She should buckle her pants.
>>
>>2100692
IME dinks are dumb
>>
>>2100692
I don't go below 6lb test unless I am sight fishing for sub 3 inchers. Big bass could strike at any moment and 2lb test is mostly a meme.
>>
File: deeper.png (1.13 MB, 1623x914)
1.13 MB
1.13 MB PNG
What are you guys' thoughts on casteable sonars from the shore?
Seriously considering getting one at this point, but the place I fish at has pretty fast currents so I'm not even sure if it would work well.
There seem a bunch of shit ones (especially with a cable), but these deeper ones seem decent.
Not sure if it's worth getting one at all and if it worth getting one I'm not sure if I should get the start version (~100€) or the pro plus version (~224€). Sure the pro plus version has a better app display, but it's also over double the price.
>>
does anyone use a spinning rod for swimbaits/frogs? it seems rare to find anyone other than a saltwater fisherman who does. got me a MH spinning rod with some 15lb braid I'm gonna be using for 3/4-1oz swimbaits this summer.
>>
>>2101389
I use a cheap wired one on my board, but I do have a neighbor who has something similar to this and loves it. Good display and readout. Mine shows depth with great accuracy, and some about structure, but marking fish leaves a little to be desired. I just set it to beep when it detects fish, and use it when I'm trolling lures. It may have been dumb luck, but I have caught where it pings almost every time.
>>
>>2101401
Sounds good, I'm getting pretty close to biting the bullet on it. Just not sure yet if it's worth over double the price for the pro plus version.
>>
>>2100692
I exclusively used an ultralight setup for 2 years once because I liked just exploring creeks and small ponds on public land. Used 4lb test the whole time. 4lb is way stronger than 2 and it casts wonderfully. I used Trilene XL Smooth Cast. caught plenty of small bass that I could easily muscle in without fear of breaking, I'm sure that with using drag properly, much bigger fish could have easily been landed. juvenile bass tend to hit all the time they don't care about 4lb mono.
>>
>>2100861
Longer is better unless it's hard for you to store/transport/use in the heavy brush at your favorite spot. I'd probably go with a 7 footer.
>>
>>2101333
they aren't dumb, just very hungry.
>>2101403
to add to this, I'm now trying out 6lb Trilene XL on my light setup, hopefully it's jsut as limp as the 4lb so I can have the extra insurance incase something bigger hits.
>>
>>2101010
just don't get something too dark. really dark sunglasses suck for the semi-shady areas.
>>
>>2100861
short rods under 6ft for walking through thick woods or casting under low hanging tree limbs, 6'6 for everything else.
>>
>>2100795
do you just Hulkdrag the fish in or something?
>>
>>2101409
I want to be able to if I have to keep them out of brush or heavy cover like water lilies.
>>
>>2100756
Medium power (3/16 - 5/8), fast action, 7 foot spinning rod. Shimano Expride if you can afford it, Zodias if you can't. Shimano Vanford 2500HG if you can afford it. Spool it with a shit ton of 10 pound braid and then put on 3 feet of 10 pound flouro. There you go.

This is the most versatile spinning combo you can get for freshwater fishing. If you want to step into baitcasting, get a medium-heavy (1/4 - 1 Oz or 3/8 - 1 Oz depends on manufacturer) fast action rod with a 150 size reel with 16 pound flouro. This is the 'do everything' freshwater baitcasting combo.

7 foot = perfect length for me IMO. If there's branches and shit, just pitch/flip/roll cast. Not hard.
>>
>>2100967
thank you
>>
I stick with 8lb line for bass fishing in MN, I only really size up for bowfin or pike fishing. I don't get people who use super thick line for bass fishing outside of tournaments. For C&R fishing most of the fun is fighting the fish, and bass are the best for it since you have to try to keep them out of cover and they can put up a seriously fun fight on light tackle. Also worth going barbless so the occasional lost lure is less guilt inducing.
>>
File: sketch-1620423286774.png (1.08 MB, 1446x1080)
1.08 MB
1.08 MB PNG
Bluegill takeover is coming fast and there's nothing you can do about it
>>
File: 20210503_124950.jpg (2.7 MB, 2560x1440)
2.7 MB
2.7 MB JPG
>>2101714
You
>grrr I'm so mad I caught fishe
Me
>wow I caught a fishe
>I will put you back now
>have a nice day fishe
>>
>>2101753
Bluegill are also incredibly tasty
>>
>>2101769
>>2101714
Bluegill saltwater mutation soon. There's nothing you can do anon just give up
>>
File: 1280px-Bluegill_(fish).jpg (192 KB, 1280x854)
192 KB
192 KB JPG
>>
DID SOMEONE SAY BLUEGILL
>>
>>2100791
>>2100788
>>2100464
>>2100444
>>2097547
Are you guys fishing for bait? I don’t get trout fishing why waste your time fishing for some shitty dink in a puddle when you can chase the king of all game fish?
>>2100904
This decent size school is bigger than 99.9% of trout on planet earth.
>>
>>2101837
I know this is a joke post but sometimes people are into trout because it is simply the best fishery in their area. If they lived somewhere else they would like some other fishery. I live on the striper coast but there is no practical bank / beach fishing near me and I don't have a boat.
>>
>>2101837
Im living in europe thats why... Boomers destroyed our rivers. Would love to fish some striped bass. In the wild there are only european perches, zanders and pikes
>>
>>2101982
What else would there even be otherwise? I don't know of any european river fish that were made rare from humans other than atlantic salmon and whatever sturgeon species you have there. Maybe asp?
>>
>>2101991
Different Sturgeons, huchen, eels are pretty much gone too. Our wild trout populations are also not looking too good. Zander and pike populations also have seen better days, but there are tons of restrictions now and things are getting better.
The main problem was the construction of water electricity generators without building fish bridges so tons of fish died while migrating.
Another reason is that cormorant populations grew into the millions but are we still cant hunt them because of stupid EU laws.
>>
>>2101407
Costas with glass lenses are very good. Mine are 15 years old.
>>
File: lures with led.jpg (62 KB, 800x800)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
Thoughts?
>>
Anyone here Oregon coast?
>>
File: GlowLures.jpg (5 KB, 301x167)
5 KB
5 KB JPG
>>2102118
YOU VILL...
>>
>>2101999
Cormorants are disgusting trash birds. I wish we had Wels catfish in the US, though. Not for eating but as far as freshwater game fish it would be hard to match the size and fight they would put up
>>
>>2095311
Nothing, you don't need a loicense to fish and the waters I fish in are either free or the chances of getting caught fishing without paying the local fee is so low you have a higher chance winning the lottery.
>Sweden
>>
File: k9DdRur[1].jpg (302 KB, 769x536)
302 KB
302 KB JPG
Was going through the slim pickings at the sporting goods store and they were selling a Shimano branded combo with cork colors printed on foam...embarrassed by your own products materials.
>>
>>2101999
I was considering ditching my family and going to Slovenia to fly fish for huchen last time I was in Europe. Is the fishery really that decimated?
>>
>>2100904
Nice! I need to go hit some beaches.
>>
>>2102118
great for squid
>>
>>2101000
buy raw shrimp
find a beach without too much surf
tie on a c rig and lob it out
wait
tie
>>
>>2102549
I meant, wait for bites
>>
File: 1600525767574.jpg (101 KB, 1024x904)
101 KB
101 KB JPG
>phones rings in the early hours in the morning whilst im sleeping
>hey lets go fishing
fuck off what is wrong with people not organising the days before.

>>2095311
what the fuck is a license and permits for? ausfag btw
>>
>>2102593

what a dick. Basically saying their time / options are more important than yours.
>>
File: stare.png (58 KB, 300x298)
58 KB
58 KB PNG
>>2102593
>going fishing with a friend
>make sure they know that they need to be ready by 6 or I am leaving them
>show up to their house at 6 and text them
>"yeah just a minute man"
>tell them they have 5 minutes before I leave
>leave 10 minutes later when they still haven't shown up
>get a text after I am already launching my boat 30 minutes later
>"wtf man why did you leave"
>>
>>2095411
>Item location:
>ZhengZhou, China
what are chances of chinavirus. haven't ordered anything overseas since 2019

>>2102594
he is that sort of guy, but i don't hate him.
>>2102602
the same guys does this

ok i think i need to spend less time with him since talking to him about it didn't do jack shit
>>
File: 1489037106388.jpg (46 KB, 500x461)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
All of the fishing kayaks I'm interested in are out of stock everywhere
>>
>>2102620
>what are chances of chinavirus.
0%. Science established months ago that transmission via sufaces isn't a thing (which is why it's fucking stupid that we're still sanitizing everything: all we're doing is increasing the number of resistant non-covid germs out there).
>>
>>2102593
Sure, we may have game wardens in America who will actually bust us for poaching, but at least we don't have seventy different varieties of deadly spiders, or saltwater crocs, or fucking cassowaries.
>>
>>2102549
wont it swim away
>>
File: 20210508_141437.jpg (2.56 MB, 2576x1932)
2.56 MB
2.56 MB JPG
>>2102594
Yeah well dont CRY AND MOAN about me not inviting you then, DAVE
>>
>>2102638
A lot of manufacturers in the US quietly died around 2019-2020. Not Hobie or bigger ones, but places like Sundolphin, and I think Lifetime, and maybe even Pelican, are done. There's a void in the market if someone is enterprising enough. I would like to see a US manufacturer fill that void for US kayakers. Saturn makes some solid inflatables, but the HDPE style still cost less and can last longer in rougher conditions. Anyone wanna throw in together and start a business?
>>
>>2102805
Dammit Dave. Don't ever ask to borrow lures again either.
>>
>>2101120
Update: I caught my PB rainbow today at Arrowhead today.
>>
>>2102812
>and I think Lifetime
Lifetime just announced a pedal Kayak, from what I understand their cheap fishing kayaks were extremely successful so I doubt they are going under.
>>
File: Screenshot (45)~2.png (682 KB, 1060x663)
682 KB
682 KB PNG
>>2102859
Good to know. I have a Sundolphin SUP I'd like to replace, so I keep hoping they'll come back. None of the alternatives are utilitarian enough, and kayaks don't balance or fish like a SUP, in my eyes. I need to find a decent alternative at some point I guess.
>>
>>2102850
Pretty. A simple gold spoon. I foolishly used to think spoons were too clandestine to catch fish, but now they're one of my go-to lures for all sorts of waters.
>>
>>2102850
Is catching a stocker even an achievement? It’s like beating a retard at chess.
>>
>>2102903
What isn’t a stocked fish at this point in America, if you want to be a pedantic asshole about it. That anon caught a 5 pound rainbow regardless.

Bass and trout were placed everywhere throughout America. The native trout fly anglers (admittedly i did this) who act elitist about catching were stocked at one point in history.
>>
File: Sausage.jpg (369 KB, 640x816)
369 KB
369 KB JPG
>>2102914
I think the asshole elitism about stocked fish is overdone, but it's also pretty silly to equate wild trout (even if they were stocked 20 generations ago) and stockers. There are plenty of places to find wild trout, especially out west. It's still cool to catch a big fish no matter if it was stocked yesterday, but it's not hard to see why somebody who worked their ass off to finally find a 10lb bass wouldn't be impressed by somebody holding up a 10 pounder straight out of a Bass Pro Shops fish tank, lip sores and all. Same deal with trout. You need to work hard to find a fishery where you can catch a wild 20 inch brook trout, much less catch one that survived the years it takes to get that big, while you just need to look up places that stock trophy size ones and get there on a stocking day to pretty much certainly catch a stocked one. A stocked trophy trout is about as impressive as a 3lb bass. Good on anybody who is happy with their new PB, I'm happy for them as well, but it's also not going to be very awe-inducing for random fucks online.

I think that dude was being a total asshole to call it out like that, but going the exact opposite way and saying that caring about wild trout is just pedantry is dumb as fuck as well.
>>
>>2102954
As a fly fishermen who fishes native trout, it is very pedantic to begin with because it’s not anywhere nearly as hard as anglers make it out to be.
>>
>>2102964
12 inch cookie cutter wild trout are not hard to catch, no. But wild trophies are rare as fuck. Anybody who has caught a 22+ inch wild trout outside of freak waterways like certain tailwaters has my respect.
>>
Went to a new spot today, virgin water
Really had to hike through the woods to get to it
Had a giant bass on but it threw the hook (caught a few smaller ones)

Went out there with my lighter gear which I definitely won’t be doing again as it’s thick with cover back there and if that giant had stayed on I don’t know how I would’ve pulled him out of there given that I would’ve had to take him through some real thick stuff
Next time I’ll bring my medium heavy rod and baitcaster spooled with 50 lb braid and a 30 lb fluoro leader
>>
>>2102914
Put and take fisheries are retarded. Wow you caught a 5 lb fish that was eating pellets for 3 years until yesterday when they dumped it in a stream where it will slowly starve to death until the water becomes too warm for it survive and then it will die.
The difference between a stocker and a population of stocked fish which are now reproducing in the new environment is huge. A wild fish regardless of whether it’s native or not is wary and adapted to the environment it lives making it more rewarding to catch. Stocked fish don’t even behave naturally and you’ll usually catch them in frog water close to the dump in point.
During this time of year I’m out catching stripers but I do a lot of trout fishing in the off season and catching stockers is not fun nor a challenge. In my state they stock waters which have wild trout in them which shows you how much the environmental guys care about these populations since studies on the Madison showed stocked fish reduce numbers of wild ones.
>>
File: Hannah gigging.png (261 KB, 330x583)
261 KB
261 KB PNG
Just made this Apu. Thought I would share it here.
>>
>>2103191
>wild ones are more weary
No. They are not lmao. It doesn’t take an angler more than 5 seconds to find a blogspot a boomer made detailing every single fly, size, color, and size tippet to use. I’ve caught wild trout on stupid ass jerry rigged dry flies on a bobber with spinning tackle.

Honestly I would even venture to say catching a wild trout in a river is easier than catching a stocker in a fuck huge lake. You idiots are acting like that anon is on a city park pond catching 10-12” stockers.
>>
>>2103208
eww
>>
>>2098218
How big is that cup? Looks giant compared to the opinel
>>
>>2103267
I can make him holding a pole and tackle box. I’ll do it when I get home, I think it would make it better.
>>
>>2102850
What rod is that?
>>
File: PXL_20210509_151955638.jpg (3.69 MB, 4032x3024)
3.69 MB
3.69 MB JPG
Fishing in a buddy's pond and caught this 14 1/2" guy. Put on a good show as I brought him in but hooked his gills and he was bleeding bad. Total pan size and I know my gf will love it fried up.
>>
>>2103347
Better pic,, used a 4" power bait worm with a #3 offset. Ran the hook a little low cuz everything was getting off.
>>
>>2103245
Catching trout in a lake is not harder than catching them in a river. I am a fly fag and don’t use gear at all even when fishing stripers. The difference is you need to have more specialized gear to catch them in a lake depending on the depth they are holding. A lot of still water guys will carry 5 spare spools with different types of sinking lines on them depending on what’s happening.
Stocked trout are dumb as bricks and you can easily catch them on the gaudiest flies no matter the conditions. Brook trout are the easiest to catch trout yet there are days where they will be keying in on a specific fly and will be a lot more picky. As someone who fished a river with both wild and stocked trout there are days where I will be fishing something dumb like a pink mop fly and catch a bunch of stockers and not catch any wild fish. You probably live somewhere with only stocked trout.
I’m not even a trout guy I’m a striper guy so I say this with objectively because trout fishing in general is for boomers and autists.
>>
>>2103191
>A wild fish regardless of whether it’s native or not is wary and adapted to the environment it lives making it more rewarding to catch. Stocked fish don’t even behave naturally and you’ll usually catch them in frog water close to the dump in point.

Lol stockers in a shallow impoundment can be finicky as hell with most people catching them by baiting and waiting. Meanwhile I can bushwhack down a creek that's rarely fished and throw a random soft plastic into a hole and get bit right away.
>>
I thought it was only boomers that have a dick measuring contest over fish.
>>
>>2103538
Most people suck at fishing especially spin fags what’s your point? As I said brook trout are the easiest trout to catch especially starving ones in small streams. Brown trout are the only trout worth trying to catch anyway.
Stocked trout only exist because state governments make huge amounts of money off spin fags and other losers who go out 3 times a year to catch some stockers then never go out again. It’s not sporting and makes no sense from an ecological perspective. Should we stock zebra in white mountain national park because people want to hunt them?
>>
>>2103574
>Stocked trout only exist because state governments make huge amounts of money off spin fags and other losers who go out 3 times a year to catch some stockers then never go out again. It’s not sporting and makes no sense from an ecological perspective. Should we stock zebra in white mountain national park because people want to hunt them?

I would agree it doesn't make much sense to stock trout in areas that could otherwise hold stable self sustaining populations of other fish. But it does make sense to have stocked trout in man made water bodies or in areas where native trout recovery is decades or even a century away.
>>
File: Hannah and apu.png (267 KB, 330x583)
267 KB
267 KB PNG
New apu for free.
>>
>>2095311
UK rod license: £30 year
Trout lakes once a month: £20 a day
River trout or salmon once a year: £50
Total is £320 ish
>>
Welp, just got back from a new lake and got my ass handed to me. It was a small lake and had very brown water. I could see fish rising whenever the water got glassy and the sky got cloudy, but I could not land any trout for the life of me. Then the wind would shift and the fish would start rising on the opposite side of the lake. I was using a wooly bugger and caddis, but I don't think the trout could see my flies. I only got one bite from a bluegill.
>>
>>2103660
The trout can always see your flies they will eat size 24 nymphs in fast water. They just didn’t like what you were throwing.
>>
>>2103662
For what it's worth, I put my gopro into the water and couldn't see more than a few feet. If a black wooly bugger on a cloudy day wasn't it, what would you have used?
>>
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (141 KB, 1280x720)
141 KB
141 KB JPG
'Ello and welcome back to the Fish Locker
>>
>>2103666
First thing I would have done is figure out what they were eating on the surface then match it. If I couldn’t get a bite on a dry fly I’ll often go to a “washing line” set up where I’ll have 3 nymphs suspended with an indicator or foam fly at the end of my line. When you do this it keeps your nymphs near the surface like an emerging insect and can work well when you don’t know exactly what they are eating or can’t get them to take the dry fly. Usually in that set up I’ll use emergers but I like to mix it up if I’m not sure what’s happening and will usually go one light fly one dark one attractor then switch to all the same fly once I get a bite.
For streamers I find it best to have a set routine you go through. I always start with white no matter what the conditions then rotate to olive, black, yellow, gray, ect until I get a hit. I will switch every 5 minutes until something bites. If I get through my whole routine with one particular steamer with no action I’ll switch to another pattern and try different colors again. There is no point sticking with the same streamer if nothing is eating it and you know there are active fish. Keep switching till something works.
>>
>>2103674
Thanks, I'll try some of these out next time.
>>
>>2103574
I'd be shocked if my states DNR makes money off of trout. Huge waste of money
>>
>>2103669
based offshore small boat brit
>>
>>2103713
They get a cut of all the fishing gear sold in the state plus all the licenses and trout stamps.
>>
In my experience, when it comes to trout, stocked or native, in lakes or rivers, it depends. Thoughts?
>>
>>2103660
I probably would have gone with a midge dry fly then gone to emergers and zebra midges under an indicator if I saw trout rising to eat ??? Probably a bunny midge desu.
>>
File: IMG_20210427_083637_054.jpg (132 KB, 1440x1440)
132 KB
132 KB JPG
>>2095298
https://youtu.be/VxLtlYeNJpU
>>
File: 20210506_065429.jpg (3.21 MB, 4160x3120)
3.21 MB
3.21 MB JPG
Caught some nice squid in south australia recently on a fishing and hiking trip. Made some excellent calamari
>>
Never used a bait caster before

What is the dial on the side with the numbers and where should I set it?
Also what’s the little knob on the other side?
I’m assuming the star thing near the crank is the drag is this correct?
>>
>>2103908
Brakes and tension knob. Start off with brakes fairly high. Set the tension just to where you can no longer move the spool side to side with your thumb. Always feather with your thumb and brake with thumb when lure/weight hits the water.
>>
>>2103908
>>2103909

When i got back into fishing i bought a baitcaster and it really put me off at first cos its a little hard to master especially when starting. Havent used it since, i think I should get back Into it, seems fun
>>
>>2103669
Oot on the boot
>>
>>2103836
Fuck off Matt.
>>
File: received_292001805895119.jpg (255 KB, 1242x1656)
255 KB
255 KB JPG
Caught some nice 3m flatties today
>>
>>2104046
You look like a gayer Harvey milk
>>
File: Hannah kills apu.jpg (170 KB, 461x640)
170 KB
170 KB JPG
>>
>>2103906
Awesome! Aussie are blessed with their squid fishing
>>
>>2104114
Saved
>>
>>2095298
I'm getting tired of seeing a skankerella in the catalog. OP needs to make a new thread.
>>
>>2104270
Fishing generals have been so dead. Kind of surprising. Winter was more active than these.
>>
>>2104270
2 more posts
>>
NEW!!!!
>>2104321
>>2104321
>>2104321
>>2104321
>>
>>2103906
How do you kill it? Bonk it on the head like a fish?
>>
>>2096155
Maybe fish can sense autism
>>
>>2105075
Blunt trauma
>>
>>2095298
>>2100000
>>
>>2106589
>>2099999

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.