[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: HGM op 8.jpg (204 KB, 1000x662)
204 KB
204 KB JPG
Previous thread:
>>2084502

USDA Hardiness Zone Map: https://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/
Koppen Climate Map: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fb/K%C3%B6ppen_World_Map_High_Resolution.png

Search terms:
Agrarian, Agriculture, Agrology, Agronomy, Aquaculture, Aquaponics, Berkeley Method Hot Composting, Cold Frames, Companion Planting, Composting, Container Gardening, Co-operative Farming, Core Gardening Method, Cultivation, Deep Water Culture (DWC), Dry Farming, Espalier, Farmer's Market, Forest Gardening, Forestry, Fungiculture, Geoponics, Greenhouses, Homesteading, Horticulture, Hot Boxes, Hugelkultur, Humanure, Hydroponic Dutch Bucket System, Hydroponics, Keyhole Garden, Korean Natural Farming, Kratky Method, Landscaping, Lasagna Gardening, Ley Farming, Market Garden, Mulching, No-till Method, Ollas Irrigation, Orchard, Permaculture, Polyculture, Polytunnels, Propagation, Rain Gutter Garden, Raised Beds, Ranch, Rooftop Gardening, Ruth Stout Garden, Sharecropping, Shifting Cultivation, Soil-bag Gardening, Square Foot Gardening, Stale Seed Bed, Straw Bale Gardening, Subsistence Agriculture, Sugar Bush, Truck Farming, Vermiculture, Vertical Gardening, Window Frame Garden, Windrow Composting

Alpaca, Animal Husbandry, Antelope, Beefalo, Black Soldier Fly (BSF), Brushturkey, Cattle, Cavy, Chickens, Coypu, Crayfish, Curassow, Dairy, Deer, Donkey, Dove, Duck, Emu, Feeder Insect, Fish, Game Bird, Geese, Giant Guinea Pig (Cuy), Goat, Grouse, Guan, Guineafowl, Hedgehog, Heliciculture, Honey Bee, Iguanas, Llama, Ostrich, Partridge, Pheasant, Pigeon, Pig, Poultry, Quail/Bobwhite, Rabbits, Sheep, Silkworm, Snail, Toad, Trumpeter, Turkey, Worm

Resources:
General Info & Anon-created Guides: https://pastebin.com/Mvfh8b87

Archives:
1-191:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/5e8dcue3a9e1wzg
192-201:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/2i45hpg3h46rraw
>>
File: Radishes.jpg (214 KB, 828x820)
214 KB
214 KB JPG
>>2090078
Peppers in the ground and another tomato bed planted.
>>
What's wrong with my tomatoes? 4 weeks old, gets good light with my other plants, I dont think it's over watered.
>>
I hope everyone is growing well.
>>
>>2090078
Who else can't wait for pumpkin season here? July's gotta come faster. I have a mighty need.
>>
How the fuck does photosynthesis work

I mean if it's raining and cloudy and no sun does the light still reach the plants
>>
>>2090098
I got 8 different types of squash seeds ready to go when the time comes. Also first time growing them, hope i dont fuck anything up.
>>
>>2090117
>hope i dont fuck anything up.
Well with seeds of 8 different varieties, I think you're well on your way there. Do you care about preserving the seeds for next year? Or do you plan to eat or compost them? If the former, don't do that. If the latter, go for it.
>>
File: pumpkins.jpg (115 KB, 900x900)
115 KB
115 KB JPG
>>2090098
We always throw our pumpkins in the compost when we're done with them after Halloween. Well, a few years ago pumpkins started to grow in our compost. We didn't do anything to them and just let them go. We got about 15-18 of the biggest pumpkins we've ever had that year. They haven't grown since, unfortunately.
>>
>>2090136
>Well, a few years ago pumpkins started to grow in our compost.
Same thing happened to me last year. However, unlike you, I had to unfortunately kill them and keep letting it all compost, cause I had to use it. Pumpkins, man. They love to surprise, and are by far the most reliable germinators of all in my experience (barring actual weeds).
>>
>>2090119
Maxima, mixta, moschata and pepo dont cross with each orher. You can also hand pollinate the flowers you want to be true to type. Im planning to do my own hybrids anyways so its not a problem.
>>
>>2090087
hows the temperature?
>>
>>2090146
Alright then, it sounds like you know what you're doing then. Was just throwing out a little caution. Good luck, man. Cucurbits are so fun to grow.
>>
>>2090114
As long as it's light out, some sun reaches them. Most plants will do fine with that much but will grow more vigorously when the sun is properly out.
>>
>>2090114
Yes, although less
>>
File: tomatoes good.jpg (813 KB, 1405x2560)
813 KB
813 KB JPG
>>2090148
Been in the 55-65°F basement for the past few weeks. Before it was outside and we got a night down to 35°F (weatherman lied in forecast and did this to me on purpose, must be). But the other plants in the same batch are looking good/better.
>>
When will my fruit and veg start to sprout? It’s been 10 days and the soil isn’t sprouting anything. I planted a bunch of different stuff.
>>
File: 20210426_200106.jpg (3.75 MB, 4032x3024)
3.75 MB
3.75 MB JPG
>>2090087
Kind of looks like mine. The only thing I did differently than my other tomatoes is use kellogs potting mix as the medium because I was too lazy to mix more of my premium mix.
>>
File: hand drill auger.jpg (19 KB, 425x504)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
If you haven't already I highly recommend one of these augers for a hand drill. Perfect 3" hole every time. So easy to plant out now especially tomatoes.
>>
File: 1349543575243.png (4 KB, 286x249)
4 KB
4 KB PNG
> read on internet that two drops washing up liquid and litre of water will kill aphids
Instead it's killed my basil and the aphids are eating away at the dead leaves
>>
two weeks ago I planted some cherry tomato seeds that I bought nine years ago. I figured the seeds would have died by now but it seems like around half of them have germinated so far with a new one popping up every day.
>>
File: IMG_20210426_183408.jpg (3.43 MB, 3006x4008)
3.43 MB
3.43 MB JPG
Cherries are beginning to ripen. Switching to fertilzer every week now until maturity, then back to every two. I hope they get bigger than this...
>>
>>2090364
was the shovel or trowel too much for you??
>>
File: IMG_20210426_184129.jpg (3.43 MB, 3006x4008)
3.43 MB
3.43 MB JPG
>>2090376
>>
>>2090378
Don't knock it until you tried it, you can blaze down a row super quick making holes for bulbs and onion sets
>>
>You now remember urbancucks shitting themselves in fear over KABOCHA SQUASH SEEDS from China
>>
Some more pics for OP you're the man
>>
>>
>>2090387
quick rundown? or is it just the usual fear over rona?
>>
File: PXL_20210427_005437036.jpg (313 KB, 1187x890)
313 KB
313 KB JPG
Planted the zucchini, bottle gourd, and early peas. The tomatoes will be ready to transplant soon. Peppers after that. I'm growing all Roma tomatoes because I don't know what I'm doing and bought all the same kind. The peppers are jalapenos and bird eyes and habanero. I've also got basil and kale started.

How are your seedlings doing?
>>
>>2090378
When you have 300+ bulbs to plant, that thing is a lifesaver. It’s $12 off Amazon.
>>
>>2090391
>News channels start spinning headlines over mystery seeds from China
>Some people planted it
>Hazmat team and EPA are called in over fucking kabochas and zucchinis because dumb Americans think they contain uranium or some weird crap
>>
>>2090376
>>2090379
Looks delicious.
>>
>>2090415
kek what the fuck
>>
File: Y8mVZDM.jpg (647 KB, 2288x1712)
647 KB
647 KB JPG
Want to pay off the land by making the land pay itself off and thus create a positive feedback loop. I'm currently outfitting a shop for production, but not sure what to do outside. Where should i look for ideas? While i'm sure i can have a cow or something and sell it at auction I'm looking for more long term and less competitive things.
Thinking of ways to grow mushrooms, but good lord propagating them would be another shop on its own.
I'm thinking semi passive resources. Coppice a walnut tree for wood production? Fruits and vegis seem pointless as they sell for such pitiful amounts. just something to offset my own food supply.
>>
>>2090419
Supermarkets shouldn't exist and this is why
>>
>>2090415
The bigger deal is that they thought it could be some sort of invasive plants. Like Kudzu, or Asian Carp
>>
>>2090417
Won't know until the end of Spring. They had better be, otherwise I'm just going to throw them at the birds.
>>
I just want muscadine anon to know I finally got my 4 Carlos vines today, I had to get them special ordered to a local nursery and I had been putting it off for a while but I’m putting them in the ground tomorrow and stringing up on wire before the end of this week. Thanks muscadine anon.
>>
>>2090449
If I planted mystery seeds in the ground and asian carp started growing, I'd simply be impressed.
>>
>>2090449
Then feds are retarded for not knowing what Kudzu seeds look like
Also fish don't grow from plants
Kudzu is actually edible, too, though. You can eat the leaves and it also makes a big tuber underground like a potato
>>
>>2090431
How much land?
>>
Just a quick question:
Are 6-10 Celsius nights too cold for covered (I use a long clear plastic bag over a tomato cage as a kind of miniature greenhouse) Watermelons or can I leave them outside over night? The days are 15-20 Celsius.
>>
File: 1613284803118.gif (197 KB, 220x220)
197 KB
197 KB GIF
>>2090636
just keep a few inside just in case. I have four more days of 6 degree nights. Michigan sucks.
>>
>>2090431
Grow all the food you eat, including shit like spices, and it will cancel you shopping bills by 99%. I personally save 10k a year by not shoppin and every year I have saved more and more. Currently I just buy dental products, salt, some spices, coffee, soap, and sugar. Looking to make my own sugar and soap somehow.

I’m into beef cattle and I like it. It’s a one and done sort of job so it’s much easier than diversifying my production. Gonna eventually sell milk and beef once production picks up in a Few years, for now it’s just weaned calves at auction. Diversifying is gonna be a lot more work for the same income I think. I’m hoping eventually I make back the money I invested into my land, but, this is gonna be a generational gift and i expect this to pass down to my grandchildren and great grandchildren. gonna put in the will that it cant be sold. The way I see it I paid for peace of mind and a healthier calmer lifestyle. I’m so happy i got out of the damn city. Used to have a “sleeping disorder” but it all vanished when I moved out here.
>>
I'm doing a strawberry plant and a jalapeno plant for the first time this year. I didn't think I would get strawberries this year, but after pulling my plants in because it was a little cold, I noticed after a few days that there was a strawberry and a couple smaller ones starting to grow.

My question is this: If I put it back outside now are the birds going to eat the strawberries? Do you guys have any recommendations for how I could protect them?
>>
>>2090431
Another thing I wanted to mention is woods and firewood. Save a hell of a ton of cash on heating every year. Just need to make sure to build a nice couple woodstoves into your houses design and you’re good to go. I also use the wood for my greenhouse woodstove, which you should look into. Although I also use propane for that.
>>
>>2090694
What kind of birds? Stick maybe a large black bird like figure near your plants.
>>
>>2090697
That might work but I also have a bird feeder on the other end of the porch. I was thinking possibly making a cube out of PVC and then attaching some netting or chicken wire around the sides and top of the cube to make a cage that I could just set down on top of the plant.
>>
Looks like Roundup poster has shills in Europe because now there's articles claiming 95% of the world's soil is contaminated with the stuff
>>
File: spin_prod_ec_796541801.jpg (840 KB, 1600x1600)
840 KB
840 KB JPG
>>2090709
roundup is owned by a german company...
>>
Are all glyphosates bad or is it just roundup? I only ever read about people talking about roundup as if it's the end of the world
>>
>>2090431
Grow more land
>>
>>2090719
>safety coated aspirin
Meanwhile the institutional psychiatry will give everyone chemical lobotomy or even worse, haloperidol, without so much as a hello in their instutituions
>>
>>2090719
Kirkland ASA is cheaper
Also fun fact: Aspirin/ASA is useful as fertilizer and improving germination
>>
>>2090773
You mean as root hormone?
>>
>>2090730
You hear people talk about round up, global warming, the wage gap, systemic racism etc. None of it is real, they wouldn't have to push it if it was. Anything pushed on you is fake
>>
>>2090692
that sounds awesome
>>
>>2090692
Maybe look into sugar beets for your sugar production and i thought you could make soap from ash and lard somehow. Sounds like a comfy setup anon.
>>
any bonsai bros here? i would love to see your trees.
>>
I just learned that the things I called huckleberries growing up were, in reality, some sort of wild blueberry. I feel like my entire life has been a lie.
>>
File: 20210427_103115.jpg (4.38 MB, 4032x3024)
4.38 MB
4.38 MB JPG
>>2090905
Don't tell my garden huckleberries they aren't real huckleberries. It would destroy them. I plan to tell them when they're older.
>>
>>2090914
That looks like some kinda solonacea plant anon.
>>
>>2090914
Wait a second. So those are called huckleberries, but aren't huckleberries? Then I retract my statement. The things I thought were huckleberries are huckleberries. Why are they named like this?
>>
>warm and sunny outside
>place sprouts under your only window
>whoops, it’s raining slush for a week again
>time to shiver for a bit, can’t let the saplings get damaged by the heated air
>manually turn down the heat in your apartment
>jerk of a janny upped the central heating anyways because someone complained
>saplings are thirsty 24/7 and begin to wither
>every morning the mulch is dry as clay, doesn’t even suck up water much anymore
FUCK
>>
>>2090918
They are indeed nightshades.

>>2090919
Yeah, they are tomato relatives. Apparently they taste similar to Huckleberries, which I have never had. The ones I've eaten taste like diluted blueberries. I made pancakes with them on Sunday and they were good, just less flavorful than blueberry pancakes. These are specifically the "Wonderberry" variety. I have a larger variety outside the greenhouse that is just setting fruit, so we'll see how those taste. They might be good for a pie, seeing as you can add sugar.
>>
>>2090694
My strategy for birds and strawberries is just to grow enough so everybody can get some. They mostly leave mine alone, although a few do get eaten. If they get more ravenous, I might do something, but for now, 90% go to me.
>>
>>2090364
Second the garden augar. Use mine to quickly pout in posts and plant in clay.
>>
File: 20210427_102815.jpg (4.11 MB, 4032x3024)
4.11 MB
4.11 MB JPG
My first Black Krim is the new king of the greenhouse. Anyone ever try them? Are they as good as they say?
>>
>>2091008
Looks lovely, what zone are you in?
>>
PRODUCE FRUIT YOU DAMN TOMATOS!
>>
>>2091008
If I remember right, it's a tomato flavor with a pleasant salty overtone. That memory comes from Black Sea tomatoes, though. Black Krim failed to produce when I grew them due to... issues.
>>
>>2090867
you can make soap from any fat and potash
lard and ash is a very old, very bad way of making soap
>>
>>2090867
>and i thought you could make soap from ash and lard somehow
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sapindus
>>
>>2091025
Thanks. I'm in zone 7b.

>>2091037
My mouth is watering just thinking about it.
>>
>>2090692
What climate? I'm in Ireland so rain and shit probably need big greenhouse to grow most things
>>
>>2091057
>zone 7b
How do you keep that greenhouse warm? I had a small one of that same material and it would still get to 34°F at night when it was 34°F in the day. I tried adding gallons of water, heating elements, etc. Mine was the smaller one that's ~1.5'x3'
>>
>>2091008
Black Krim is the first tomato seed I ever saved because it was so unbelievably delicious and a really beautiful looking tomato. I have my second generation coming up this year, not quite as far along as yours. Good luck!!
>>
File: 20210427_141009.jpg (3.68 MB, 2763x3685)
3.68 MB
3.68 MB JPG
>>2091089
Mine is a 7x12 cheap tent style greenhouse that i put on a treated lumber foundation and reinforced the frame. When the temperature drops below ~40 F I cover it with two tarps and turn on a small electric space heater. Even on the nights that were below the 20s, I don't think the heater came on more than 10 times an hour and only ran for a minute or two. I use an aquarium thermostat to regulate temperature.
>>
>>2091141
>I use an aquarium thermostat to regulate temperature.
Water thermostats work for air?
>>
File: LfqK6hi.png (180 KB, 413x313)
180 KB
180 KB PNG
>>2090078
is something like this good for cactus and tomatoes
>>
>>2090924
Why not leave them sitting in water?
>>
What's the quickest way to turn store bought potatoes into seed potatoes just leave them at a windowsill and wait for them to grow stems
>>
I'm in 8a/8b should I bother going self sufficient think there's even some frost coming this week
>>
File: 71n290lSosL.jpg (192 KB, 2000x2000)
192 KB
192 KB JPG
>>2091136
Good luck to you as well, friend.

>>2091143
I should have said terrarium. Pic is exactly what I use.
>>
File: 1611352293579.jpg (57 KB, 679x452)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>2090583
10 right now. might be able to swing a whole field in time.
>>2090692
Thats the plan. I want to have a greenhouse where i can grow my normal foodstuff year round.
Cows are also planned just because the soil is terribly burned out. Cows and a chicken tractor are a minimum while i overseed the dogshit out of it. I watched some farmed I don't remember the name of and he went off a list of herbs and spices he grows in the pasture just so they don't need frequent vet bulls.
Fully intend to make use of the full animal as well. Leather is obvious, but I think if i clean the bones I could rig the skeleton up nicely. maybe a market for those.

>pic not related but i wish it was.
>>
File: 20210427_193734.jpg (1.3 MB, 3264x2448)
1.3 MB
1.3 MB JPG
any anons have an idea what this kind of larvae might be?

I was weeding/prepping a bed and saw a bunch of these little fuckers in the soil. I'm in western oregon, and my garden/land is all reprod timber (planted in 2008)

pic doesn't really show it, but they are bright orange
>>
File: 20210427_215250.jpg (2.77 MB, 3264x2448)
2.77 MB
2.77 MB JPG
Can anyone help figure whats wrong with my ghost pepper plant? Its a 1 year old plant thats been fucked by frost twice but came back both times. In the last couple months the leaves have started turning black like pic related. Is this blight? Or is it something else. If it is blight is there any saving the plant?
>>
Moving onto a farm soon. Thinking of getting some possums to control ticks. Good idea?
>>
>>2090692
Sugar cane and a grinder is all you need for that. It’s easy
>>
Can any of you fellers recommend an insecticide? Something is eating my banana peppers though I haven’t caught the culprit. I used to use sevin dust spray but I don’t know if there’s a better choice
>>
>>2089823
>"cloth" garden hoses
>good
I'd say none of them, as they are not going to be able to be repaired like regular hoses....there's always tons of free hose when there is bulk trash pickup, just get some new hose fittings are you're golden

>>2090087
>>2090188
that soil looks....bad

>>2090333
you best make sure the temps are good

>>2090400
>I'm growing all Roma tomatoes because I don't know what I'm doing
I only do beefsteak now as they've got a high meat % and take less time to process over smaller ones, depends on your plans

>>2090694
>are the birds going to eat the strawberries?
birds, squirrels, chipmunks, raccoons, opossums, woodchucks.....netting and or electric fence
>>
>>2090400
i made the mistake with roma too. they're determinate, so all your tomato-bros will be ripe at the same time, vs an indeterminate (vining) where it continually produces as long as conditions are good

some other more experienced anon -- is that accurate?
>>
>>2091626
>some other more experienced anon -- is that accurate?
Half-right. Determinate vs. Indeterminate merely indicates the difference between plant size growth overall, not necessarily pertaining to the fruits. Determinate plants will only grow X inches or feet tall no matter what you do. Indeterminate plants will continue to grow larger and longer as long as conditions permit. In both cases, for tomatoes in question, both will keep producing fruits as long as conditions permit. The only difference is the size of the actual plants themselves overall.
>>
>>2091630
gotcha. thanks anon. so with green beans bush vs pole -- same concept?
>>
>>2091634
Yeah. Determinate vs. Indeterminate = Hard size limit vs. No size limit
>>
>>2091175
Yep
>>
>>2091414
That's the most beautiful greenhouse i've ever seen.
>>
Anyone heard of a "Turkish honey pumpkin" before?
>>
File: 1512555306232.gif (517 KB, 245x150)
517 KB
517 KB GIF
>the poison ivy is back
>>
any anons have any recommendations for soaker hoses? seems like a much better way to water
>>
>>2091618
>that soil looks....bad
Soil is a 50:50 mix of potting soil and garden dirt. The garden dirt is a 40:60mix of well-composted manure and clay.
>>
>>2091871
The Rainbird style of irrigation gives you a lot of options and isn't too expensive. This year I'm using trying out the 1/4 tubing with built in emitters. You still have to use the 1/2 distribution tubing since the 1/4 can't carry the flow to large areas, but all in all its a simple and fun way to irrigate. Driptape would be something you could look at as well if you have long rows to water.
>>
>>2091155
for the temperature element yes
but you still need adequate soil conditions
>>
>>2090078
henlo i have some chickens that i want to hatch eggs from,so far some hens lay and sit on their eggs for a bit,but most of them lay sit for a while then leave to go eat and stuff,i moved the eggs to the broding house and put several of the laying hens their and none of them sat on the eggs again.the breed i have is rhode island red .what are some ways to get them to brood,and also im looking for a way to incubate eggs without using electricity
>>
>>2091414
10 Acres? Is it wooded or pasture? If wooded, sell the timber. If pasture, sell hay. Quality hay bales are always in demand.
>>
>>2090431
pic looks lovely
>>
>>2091582
Is it in a pot or in the ground?
>>
>>2092206
Its currently in a pot, was in the ground May 2020 I potted it in September 2020
>>
>>2092353
Looks like sun scald or fertilizer burn to me
>>
>>2091582
>>2092353
Can you provide a larger sample size of the problem? Is it persistent across all or most leaves? Or just a few? Has it been spreading?
>>
File: 20210428_164605.jpg (47 KB, 563x750)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>2092357
It's been sitting in a windowsill for the last couple months. I didn't have this problem in the summer so unless the window does something to the light I don't think it has to do with the sun.

I don't really fertilize the plant I do add a little bit from my hydroponics setup. This is usually 1 part of hydro water to 3 parts tap. I use this to water it every couple months.

>>2092362
It's pretty consistent through most of the plant, new leaves don't have it but when they get past as they get older they start showing it. The leaves get really "fragile" if you brush them they fall off pretty easy. That's why there's not a bunch on the plant itself. The pic is the part with the most black spots on it.
>>
File: 20210428_164554.jpg (64 KB, 563x750)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>>2092357
>>2092362
>>2092376

Here's the whole plant. There's black tips through most of the plant
>>
>>2092376
>>2092378
Do you see any insects or eggs on it anywhere at all? Make sure you thoroughly check the underside of the leaves. If no bugs, it's possible it may be a fungal or bacterial infection, though it's equally possible it's a nutrient deficiency, given what that soil looks like from what I can see. That pot is also a little small for that plant.
>>
>>2091964
Does the brooding house have enough food/water where the hens can eat without getting up? I have also read that you can put golf balls (or any fake egg) in the nest and wait for them to go broody.
>>
>>2092381
I don't see any eggs or insects, I'll try giving it some more nutrients and see if that improves it. I'm not going to try repotting it, I'll just wait until I can put it directly in the ground if I can make sure it's not a disease. Thanks for the help guys.
>>
>>2091881
>potting soil
>manure
>clay
that's heavy Doc!

there's a lot of sticks in there too
>>
>when you think all the seeds that were going to sprout have sprouted and the rest are duds, but then you see another one break soil
It's a sublime feeling.
>>
>>2090369
neem oil
>>
>>2092555
^^^
>>
>>2092452
When will clayboomers learn?
>>
File: napalm-bombing.jpg (54 KB, 632x325)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
>>2091859
>>
File: 13406bz.jpg (415 KB, 600x600)
415 KB
415 KB JPG
Fuck sungold, fuck hybrid bullshit. I paid 2 dollars per seed and got nothing but weak ass stunted seedlings that drop leaves. Atleast gardeners delight, marmande and tiny tim grows like a champ.
>>
>everyone grows tomatoes
>want to grow them too
>I actually dislike tomatoes

What are some good sauce tomato variety?
>>
>>2090692
you don't need sugar, just get a few bee hives going.

I currently supplement coffee, peppercorns, turmeric and cumin but try to dry all the spices I can. I also gave up on growing my own grains and now just buy 50lbs of organic flour that I make sourdough with and I trade the sourdough with a meat vendor at the market.
>>
>>2090773
>>2090795
you can also take several willow branches and put them into a jar of water until the water turns dark. That is pure natural rooting hormone.
>>
>>2091414
You can use the bone for dog food, that’s what I use my leftover carcass for. Organs, whatever meat i dont want, and the bones. My dog hates dry food, he’ll only eat meat these days. If im cutting up chicken breast i’ll take off the wings, thighs, breast and throw the skeleton at him.

Throw that dog a bone!
>>
>>2092676
Yea already bought some and sprayed it on the rest
>>
>>2091414
>>2091086
One more thing. First of all that greenhouse puts my whole life to shame. Wow. That’s a beauty.

I just wanted to mention that I see a seperate stricture attached to that greenhouse. I wanted to make sure I told you guys never to do that. I run a fogger to add some humidity to mine, but even if I didn’t, i would NOT put anything attached to it. All the moisture in there gets trapped and will find its way right into your shed or bird coup or whatever. Youll get chickens with pneumonia or a shed that turns black. Dont do it. Had to tear it all down because i got the bright Idea that i would share heat with my chickens and make winters easier on them. Ha. Learn from my mistakes guys, keep the greenhouse as an only-greenhouse structure.
>>
>>2092801
how on earth was it 2 dollars per seed
>>
>>2092802
roma
>>
I set some bags of top soil out on part of my concrete porch that has some moss. After about a week I moved the bag and found some new moss had grown underneath the bag matching its shape perfectly. Can I inspire more moss growth with black sheet of plastic? Are there any good ways to cover an entire area with moss?
>>
>>2090085
What zone you in? My seedlings are ready i just dont think the weather would agree
>>
File: 20210425_154036.jpg (526 KB, 1080x1397)
526 KB
526 KB JPG
>>2090087
I would stop buying all those seedlings at nurserys, unless you know they grow their own.
I went a little overboard but my results are amazing so far. Buy a few LED grow lights, organic seeds online, read up on starting soils, etc.
I did not expect 100% germination or for them to be thos healthy and growing this fast...they will have a rough first week when transplanted.
>>
>>2092807
Yeah it's called salicylic acid for a reason
>>
File: bigbosssalute.jpg (304 KB, 1280x720)
304 KB
304 KB JPG
>TFW a good pair of garden gloves meets their end
>>
>>2092950
I use thin leather tig welding gloves. So far they have lasted forever
>>
Hazel and other nut bearing trees make great perennials and give surprisingly good $ per kg.

You can graze sheep in the same field without damaging the tree once its mature enough also.

I don't know about US climates but there are plenty of hardy varieties of nut bearing trees in EU and Scandi
>>
>>2092908
Those are from seed. The pots are just recycled stuff I picked up free on Craigslist.
>>
I have mulch, cardboard, soil and compost
How do i layer it?
Sunflowers that are half a foot tall btw, im gonna transfer them from some boxes to a brick walled box outside
>>
File: Fascinating-Cat-Meme.jpg (121 KB, 500x375)
121 KB
121 KB JPG
I just found out that i have parsnip in my garden plot. My father bought this homestead 30 years ago from an old man whos mother was maybe the one who planted it. It is possible that its been growing there over 80 years and we had no idea.
>>
File: leplant.jpg (142 KB, 1200x1600)
142 KB
142 KB JPG
>>2090078
Hey! I never browse this board so I dont know if its the right place to ask but my little weed plant doesnt look too happy and I dont know how to fix it.
Yes Its legal to grow it where I live btw
>>
>>2093054
Get out
>>
>>2093073
shit got legalised in most states whats the problem ? Its just as much gardening as your tomatoes
>>
>>2093002
How big is it?
>>
File: Miller.png (957 KB, 1000x1028)
957 KB
957 KB PNG
>>2092992
Cardboard goes on the bottom as a weed barrier if you are starting new bed where grass has grown. Mix the soil and compost if the compost is finished and put that on top of the cardboard The mulch goes on top as a further weed barrier and keeps the soil moist and insulated

.>>2092950
We will never see their like again.

>>
>>2093054
Shoo, shoo.
>>
File: men chickens.webm (2.28 MB, 622x768)
2.28 MB
2.28 MB WEBM
How are your chickens coming along, /hgm/?
>>
>>2093054
>>>lgbt
>>
>>2093054
Looks like you let it dry out and it withered and likely died.
>>
>>2093081
I don't think it's just one 80 year old parsnip.
>>
>>2093098
Thanks for not calling me a faggot senpai
I shall retreat back to the gay boards now
>>
>>2093054
I'm not familiar with cannabis, but from your pic it looks like your seedling is dying from damping off. If that's the case, there's nothing you can do about it now. If it doesn't recover, next time make sure your growing medium is moist where the roots are but not sopping wet while the seedling is growing, and don't overwater; as an extra measure, you can also wash the container with a bleach solution and use fresh growing medium.
>>
>>2093101
Your plant died just like your brain and your manhood
>>
>>2093081
There was few big ones and a lot of small ones.
>>
>>2093104
I think its strange that it got damp since the pot has holes at the bottom and I watered it big a perfume bottle. Just giving the little guy a few sprays at the morning and at night right before I went to sleep. I´d assume they could handle a lot of moisture because they originate from a much more tropical enviroment
>>
>>2093054
Dude, weed lmao
>>
>>2093110
next time just say it's a tomato seedling.
but sounds like you definitely over-watered it.
>>
>>2093128
>next time just say it's a tomato seedling

tomaccos dont have cotyledons like that
>>
>>2093218
>tomaccos
Is that where tacos come from?(asking for a friend)
>>
I planted some bird's eye pepper plants last year and left them out over the winter to die. Is there a way to revitalize the plants so they can grow again or do I have to bring inside for next time? Zone 7a
>>
>>2092802
You'll probably like them more when they're yours, because pride

Thats what im hoping at least with my tiny baby cayenne pepper seedlings haha
>>
>>2093099
The goliath class ww2 born parsnip
>>
>>2090078
Where da homestead discord at my nibbas
>>
>>2093094
Just hatched 17. Getting ready to hatch a bunch more.
>>
File: nIGnQ8pl.jpg (47 KB, 640x338)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>2093094
My town doesn't allow chickens or any livestock, I'm considering raising meat rabbits indoors out of spite.
>>
>>2093261
>>
File: talkingmylanguage.gif (897 KB, 245x245)
897 KB
897 KB GIF
>>2093336
Lets start one, fren.

https://discord.gg/fuZf4xWPNG
>>
>>2092802
There are high chances you haven't ever tasted a real tomato. What you consider to be a tomato is probably just a mediocre substitute, a meme. Just saying.
>>
>>2093361
>>2093336
Please gather all the disco trannies there and tell them how healthy cherry seeds, apple seeds, rhubarb leaves, etc are.
>>
File: file.png (1.91 MB, 1040x780)
1.91 MB
1.91 MB PNG
i transferred the sunflowers growing in a small bin to here, they were growing in clusters so I slowly pulled them away from eachother and spread them out but the one on the far end wasn't separated incase i fucked it up
>>
>>2092802
try bruschetta

toast some bread
little butter and garlic salt
thin tomato slices
mozarella cheese
put under broiler till bubbly brown

that's like the least cooking I like
>>
File: Gardsden_flagD.png (467 KB, 3750x2500)
467 KB
467 KB PNG
>>2093391
Mayhap I will.
>>
>>2093336
>>2093361
See
>>2092741
And kindly stop shitting up /HGM/
>>
So Oregano is actually a badass ground cover plant
>>
File: DSC_0034.jpg (2.61 MB, 1429x2540)
2.61 MB
2.61 MB JPG
Quick mycology question.
I inoculated my mulch with winecap spawn, to speed decomposition and revitalize the sterile ass box store garden soil.
This was about three weeks ago. For the last couple days I've been coming out to this (pic).

Is this another fungi? They look underdeveloped to me, like the winecap is trying to rush reproduction. I've disturbed the mulch planting around, and there are some nice white mats, here and there, like the substrate has spread to the bottom hay layer.
>>
File: FJMIr3e.jpg (65 KB, 1125x776)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
>>2093772
those are the jizz towel mushrooms
>>
>>2093079
I get what you mean. Legal in my state too...except im growing mine to sell and not to smoke. Its a business...not a hobby. Seems like the fellas here think you are growing to smoke. If so, figure it out.
>>
>>2093393
>that fence
Where do live? Prison?
>>
>>2092802
San Manzano
>>
File: 20210430_065332.jpg (3.35 MB, 3862x2896)
3.35 MB
3.35 MB JPG
>>2093710
>"stop shitting up /HGM/"
>shits up out /HGM/
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>2092802
Gigantomo
>>
>>2093949
I told my family I'd stop buying tomato seed packs. Why did you show me this, anon?
>>
>>2093954
>held by a 10 year old so it looks bigger
classic
I bet it tastes like zucchini
>>
>>2090087
That looks like one of mine after getting shocked by the first days of sun, rain and cold nights outside. If it's worthy, it'll survive.
>>
>>2093772
Not wine caps. Sometimes other mushrooms pop up too
>>
Speaking of wine caps, anyone know a good source for seed mushroom in the US?
>>
>>2093772
Some kind of inky cap.
>>
>bring girlfriends family eggs from our chickens
>come back a week later
>nobody has eaten them
fine, no more eggs for you. assholes. i’ll take them back and eat them myself
>>
>>2092847
always apply at night
>>
>>2093937
??
it's wooden and it's for the porch
>>
File: bIMG_5495.jpg (1.41 MB, 1824x1368)
1.41 MB
1.41 MB JPG
Yesterday I raked up the leaves I dumped in the garden pen last fall. Put about half of them in the compost and the other half in plastic tub to save for the compost as things start breaking down. I also refilled 15 fabric pots with container soil I stored in containers during the winter.

Today I planted potatoes in 5 fabric pots, plus the potato pen at the shaded end of the garden where no much else grows. I also planted peas along the entire grass perimeter of the garden so they can grab onto the chicken wire. In the past I think I've been planting peas far too late, usually the end of May when rest of the garden goes in.

I'm probably going to skip starting stuff early in trays this year. I figured out my germination issues in the past had to do with the soil drying out. Covering the rows with a fabric painting drop cloth prevents the top inch of soil from drying and nearly everything germinates.
>>
>>2094321
Looks nice, anon. The soil looks really rich. I'm on clay so I have to do a lot of work everywhere I want to grow. I've got some potatoes in 20 gallon fabric pots too. I have resist the urge to partially excavate them to see whats going on down there.

>>2094226
Scrambled eggs made with spite taste the best, imo.
>>
File: 20210430_110558.jpg (2.96 MB, 4032x3024)
2.96 MB
2.96 MB JPG
Been trying to figure out what these tiny bugs are doing on my carrot. I can't really ID them, anyone know what they are?
>>
do i need those plant stakes to support sunflowers?
what about corn and bell peppers?
>>
>>2094355
In my experience, corn and sunflowers grow just fine without any support. What is more important is full sun and lots of water
>>
>>2094321
plantlet here, whats the difference between fabric pots and regular pots?

is it just easier to take the plants out?
>>
>>2094362
Fabric pots are supposed to keep the roots from spiraling since they stop growing when they encounter air. The plant sends out new roots instead of getting root bound.

Fabric pots are more difficult to keep watered. If you pour water in them it will mostly run out the side. I use a drip system on a timer so they are watered at a rate where it will absorb instead of running off. Some people place them in a trough or container so they can suck up water from the bottom.
>>
>>2094362
>plantlet
kek

Fabric pots let air reach the soil on all sides, which is certainly better for some plants that like dryer soil and probably healthier for the plant in most cases. Mine are currently drying out quickly, but that can probably be fixed with a more water-retaining potting mix.
>>
>>2094355
>sunflowers
probably not, those suckers are thick

>corn
idk

>bell peppers
yes, the weight of the fruit can break the plant apart or tip it over
>>
>>2094367
which plants would want drier soil?
>>
>>2094377
From personal experience, nasturtium comes to mind. I'm sure there are many.
>>
File: 11.jpg (1.28 MB, 3072x1728)
1.28 MB
1.28 MB JPG
do they damage the flowers?
>>
>>2094442
isn't that a stink bug?
>>
>>2094442
If thats a Japanese beetle, they swarmed my rose bushes and grape vines last year and ate a bunch of the foliage.
>>
I fucked up and didn't start my tomatoes yet. Is it too late? Should I buy some starts and then grow some of my own for a later harvest? In new england.
>>
>>2094461
Depending on where you live in New England, you are probably about a month behind. I think most tomatoes are around 80 days to harvest so you would probably get your first tomatoes in late July/August if you plant now and all goes well.
>>
>>2094464
Yeah I'll probably buy some transplants then and start some of my own for later.
>>
>>2093054
Soil looks super dry and you probably left it in a spot that was way too sunny. Seedlings can get wilted under super bright sun. It's probably dead by now
>>
>>2094352
Queen Anne's Lace
>>
>>2093974
They weigh 2lbs on average
The taste is actually supposed to be great and it's well suited for slicing
>>
File: IMG_6361.jpg (3.93 MB, 4032x3024)
3.93 MB
3.93 MB JPG
>>2090078
So I have a few seasons of gardening under my belt, but somehow missed the best way to turn lawns into good farmland.
Last season I uprooted the sod and removed it, and then tilled the soil underneath that and added some straw on top. I've heard it's better to leave the sod there, till it in with the rest of the soil, and then add some mulch on top. Thoughts?
>>
>>2094510
no expert, but i believe by removing the sod you stripped out a ton of good bacteria/nematode/whatever life, and grass roots would have been packed with nutrients.

one way would have been to put a sheet of cardboard or a tarp over the grass to kill it, then till it all in together just prior to planting
>>
>>2093974
they do this in every country
>>
I like coming here and looking at the progress pics. /comfy/
>>
I'm just getting started with gardening, does anyone have any recommendations for what to plant? I live in a Hardiness Zone 9
>>
>>2094503
Are you sure? It looks a little like carrots but not quite.
>>
File: HarvestCalendarZone9.png (1.37 MB, 2048x3452)
1.37 MB
1.37 MB PNG
>>2094612
The often repeated advise for that question is "grow what you like to eat", but as your season is already underway, you will want to focus on faster growing and heat loving crops. You can probably grow squash, melons, beans, peppers, and eggplant to name a few. If you are planning on buying starts, you can probably plant a lot more.
>>
File: IMG_20210430_192505.jpg (3.5 MB, 3006x4008)
3.5 MB
3.5 MB JPG
They're ripening very fast now. Steady fertilizer should plump them right up, hopefully.
>>
>>2094612
green beans and tomatoes are super easy to grow and very gratifying.
>>
>>2090692
good job anon
>>
>>2094209
Looks right. Too bad they're poisonous to alcoholics.
>>2094461
Are you buying seed, or planting saved ones?
Can you find an early variety?

I'm that note, when should I plant out spice peppers? Soil temp this week is between 57-61 F. Varieties: Paprika, cayenne, reaper
I live in the PNW, so it's not going to get super hot to begin with. I'm attempting a crossbreeding scheme to develop "cold hardy" hot peppers.
>>2093974
>>2094548
Don't care, all oxheart everything.
>>
>>2094708
>>2094612
https://gardenate.com/plants/
Check out this site for suggestions on what to plant in a specific zone and specific time of year
>>2094755
Are you planning on pruning it? When's the right moment to prune a cherry tree?
>>
File: IMG-20210501.jpg (494 KB, 1536x2048)
494 KB
494 KB JPG
Professional grapeanon here post your grapevines
>>
Is polystyrene a viable alternative to perlite?
I want to take some dahlia cuttings and have a bunch of Styrofoam left over from a furniture delivery
>>
What can I use 5:5:10 fertiliser for? The packet says rose feed but I don't have that many roses
>>
File: ce7bd278.jpg (19 KB, 483x442)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
Give me your best crops to grow that can be stored for a long time with minimal effort. I fear that i waste a lot of food if its pain in the ass to store and i cant eat it all by myself. Im between zones 3 and 4.
>>
>>2090919
>>2090938
Solanum scabrum?
>>
>>2090364
I need to get one of these. I was going to buy a $500 petrol post holder but this makes way more sense
my ground is heavily compacted sand wtih rocks in it, I have to dig with a mattock to even make small holes
>>
>>2095052
can, pickle, and dry your veggies you dork
>>
>>2095086
>dry your veggies
Not him but i always found those very unsatisfying. It's either freeze, oil or vinegar for me. But i've only tried commercial stuff. Being mostly water, if you remove it what is left is a chewy poor snack.
>>
>>2095086
What im looking for is more like a "just throw it in the basement" type of crop.
>>
File: josef fritzl 1.jpg (19 KB, 250x348)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>2095105
I may know of something...
>>
>>2094904
>Are you planning on pruning it?
The branches? No not for a while. They were already cut prior to me buying it. I want to wait a little while longer before having to trim it again.
>>
>>2095002
man these are fucking gross. A bunch of torture victims strung up on racks.
no ground cover, neat little rows that deep DOUSED with anti-life chemicals. so much wasted space.
You should feel ashamed.
>>
>>2095214
The picture is taken literally right after tilling,
>neat little rows that deep DOUSED with anti-life chemicals.
What?
>so much wasted space.
It's only been 1 month since they bud
bursted, give it time and the new growth will fill the space
>You should feel ashamed.
Yes, I'm producing alcohol which is literally poison, I know, seriously tho it's my father's job to take care of the vineyards I chose a
different path otherwise I would have definitely treated the soil differently

btw
>didnt post his grapes
>>
>>2095214
>i've never seen a vinyard before
>>
File: not_grape.jpg (70 KB, 1000x667)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
>>2095002
>take a bunch of cuttings from a fence where a grape vine was growing last year
>very excited because they all appear to be rooting/leafing out, even the ones I just left in water
>hold on a sec, those don't look like grape leaves
What the hell am I going to do with all these virginia creepers?
>>
File: 20210501_100208.jpg (1.26 MB, 1816x3972)
1.26 MB
1.26 MB JPG
My bareroots are starting to wake up, this pleases me as it's my first time dealing with bare rooted trees. So far they seem to be pretty damn safe as everything I've planted aside from one tree has budbreak, left them heeled in for a good while too so there wasn't some mad scramble to get them all in the ground right away.

What's /hgm/s opinion? I'm kinda leaning more toward bareroot tree planting simply because of how well everything seems to be doing waking up in a new environment instead of already being awake and having to adapt to the shock.. though bareroot planting limits my planting window quite a bit.
>>
File: 1606691906030.gif (2.85 MB, 250x250)
2.85 MB
2.85 MB GIF
>Popping my seedlings out of their trays
>Brick of soil seems to be pulling out nicely
>Soil splits in half, top and bottom halves
>Large chunk of roots ripped from the plant
Always good for one or two of these each time from the smaller plants.
>>
>>2095002
*rapeanon
>>
>>2095328
Lmao, how does that happen, dont you use something like a spoon to hold the soil?
>>
File: 20210501_124623.jpg (2.16 MB, 2016x1512)
2.16 MB
2.16 MB JPG
>>2095002
I'm a rape newbie. I've got three 3-year old vines. Two concord, and one mars. All seedless.

The buds are just now starting to leaf out.
>>
>>2095002
can you make alcohol from any fruit? Where i live there's tons of mangos, and im thinking of buying some land : 1000 sq,(zone 11). it would be nice to experiment and create my own mango liquor.
>>
>>2095340
>I'm a rape newbie
Sir, I'm going to have to ask you to leave. We don't take kindly to your kind here.
>>
>>2095337
Pulling them out too early. I'm impatient as fuck. It's never had a significant affect on the plants however.
>>
>>2095346
If they all come out nice and in one piece with no effort, they're probably pot bound
Shoulda bought that youtuber's overpriced plastic pots with the hole in the bottom
>>
>>2095343
Yes as long as their is sugar and it isnt too acidic you can make wine, if the juice doesnt have enough sugar you may need to add it in or boil down the juice
>>
File: IMG_20210501_135718.jpg (2.04 MB, 3120x4160)
2.04 MB
2.04 MB JPG
Im gonna plant some tangerines. everything is closed due to holyday so i can't buy them a proper pot yet. I have to make it so i can buy land and a house. Thanks for reading my blog (zone 11 btw).
>>
>>2095247
I can't grow grapes here. they're banned from import because pompous faggots with vinyards making wine are scarred they'll get some disease because they string their vines from racks in neat rows, dump poison on them, don't use cover crops, and are shocked when disease and insects ravage their shit.
I really don't care if you're making booze. you should be ashamed at that ecological disaster
>>
File: 1619902514689.jpg (824 KB, 1088x1088)
824 KB
824 KB JPG
Why are my tomato seedlings turning purple and dying?
>>
Anybody recognize this weed popped up overshadowing the broccoli?
>>
File: 20210501_142438.jpg (3.11 MB, 4000x1800)
3.11 MB
3.11 MB JPG
Can anybody tell me whats wrong with my chilean guava? Got it a few months ago, it hasn't grown much at all and now some of the leaves are going orange, pretty sure its got enough water, pls help :(
>>
>>2095397
I'm sorry, that ban makes no sense, anyway there's literally nothing we can do but dump poison on vines because of how utterly fucked every single plant would inevitably get by downy mildew and powdery mildew
Like I'm sure if man was to suddenly disappear from earth, Vitis vinifera would just go extinct too
The ecological disaster already happened when those bullshit diseases got introduced from America
>>
Help it’s flooding in zone 8b!
>>
>>2095530
>>2095397
Actually I don't even know if you're European or American, but anyway my point is that Vitis vinifera is, alas, just very susceptible to pests
>>
>>2093778
Eww gross
>>
>>2095535
save the gnomes!!!!!
>>
>>2095524
tobacco ?
>>
File: Welcome.jpg (528 KB, 1375x1303)
528 KB
528 KB JPG
>>2095535
>>
File: cor.jpg (2.31 MB, 3057x2857)
2.31 MB
2.31 MB JPG
how long should plants stay in pots before planting out?
>>
>>2095561
when their foliage is wider than the diameter of the planter or their roots start poking out of the drainage holes are good indicators that they're getting root bound. Some plants don't mind outgrowing their pots but with most vegetables that's a good time to repot.
>>
>>2090369
Did you spray the plant or dump it onto the roots? It's okay we won't make fun of you.
>>
>>2095535
>>2095550
>>2095554
lmao
>>
>>2094870
>Too bad they're poisonous to alcoholics.
Only one species is.
>>
>>2095591
top kek
>>
so how do i sow seeds/transplant them into the ground?

what prep work?
do i just cardboard the area and put some layers?
what tools should i buy?
>>
>>2095589
leafs
>>
It's just sometimes so discouraging when your fruits and crops end up being eaten by other things. Your hard work, gone. And at the same time you want to limit your poison and carcinogen exposure. It's like a no-win situation. Fuck.
>>
what would be the cheapest way to obfuscate vision into my yard?
say the neighbor has a fence, I was thinking corn right next to it
i don't want anything that'll actually climb the fence
>>
File: Cultivos Taiwan 206.jpg (225 KB, 1600x1067)
225 KB
225 KB JPG
>>2095635
>not baging his fruits to make wasps and flyes seethe
ngmi
>>
>>2095655
Thanks for pre wrapping the garbage, anon.
>>
>>2095635
You could try insect netting. Something munches my bean seedlings around here almost to the point of killing them and putting some netting on them made them look like the picture on a seed packet.
>>
File: straw.jpg (1.13 MB, 1512x2016)
1.13 MB
1.13 MB JPG
Coffee helps them grow!

>>2095524
Pokeberry?
>>
faggot here, can i plant kudzu in a pot outside and just trim it so it doesn't spread a lot?
is that enough to contain it?
>>
>>2095481
try some light fertilizer
>>
File: DoIT.gif (999 KB, 320x148)
999 KB
999 KB GIF
>>2095694
You know what you have to do, anon.
>>
>>2095710
since it grows a shit load can't i clip it for FREE compost?
>>
>>2095714
That is such a silly thought.
>>
>>2095746
Not this anon >>2095714 But are there plants you can grow just for biomass or to compost? plants that grow like weeds with little maintenance?
>>
>>2095761
tithonia diversifolia and comfrey are some good ones I've heard of. also consider planting a fast growing nitrogen fixing tree that you can prune often like a mimosa
>>
File: before and after.png (1.51 MB, 1114x626)
1.51 MB
1.51 MB PNG
>>2093094
just turned the old lettuce house into a chicken coop boys
>>
File: readthepost.jpg (65 KB, 1028x638)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
These 70w 5$ 12v LED Panels with build in heatsink are still the winner among all growlights no exceptions.

https://de.aliexpress.com/item/4001275542304.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.682b4c4dEUi0dI
>>
>>2095790
put something to play inside, like a strach tower in the middle or a tunnel or whatever
>>
>>2095635
Craft and hang up nests for birds.
>>
>>2095397
>vinyard banned from import because vinyards
Go to a vinyard, take cuttings, profit? Or grow from seed you retard
>>
want to start a windowsill garden for herbs - basil, rosemary, thyme, parsley.
is it too late to start from seed? i live on the 48th parallel in europe
>>
File: IMG_20210502_104308.jpg (440 KB, 1080x1556)
440 KB
440 KB JPG
This orange tree recently came into my care. It's been around for a decade or something. Do you know if it's desperate for a bigger pot?

It seems to have some issues with its leaves: the newer leaves are curly, and some other leaves have brown spots. I'm looking these things up right now, but if you recognize them feel free to let me know what they are.
https://a.pomf.cat/dbibaw.jpg
https://a.pomf.cat/iiopvk.jpg
>>
How the fuck do i get rid of citrus leaf miners? i bought a spray but it did fuck all.
>>
>>2095761
Arundo donax is fit for this purpose, but it's invasive so be careful if you decide to do it
>>
File: 20210502_085516.jpg (3.69 MB, 4032x3024)
3.69 MB
3.69 MB JPG
The harvest grows stronger still.
>>
File: IMG_20210502_151352.jpg (839 KB, 1920x1806)
839 KB
839 KB JPG
Does anyone know what those round transparent things are? Eggs? Of what?
>>
>>2095998
Damn, that looks nice, how much land do you own? (In sqm)
>>
>>2096010
What plant is it?
Many vining and Vitex species have pearl glands, which these could be
>>
File: PXL_20210502_140901918.jpg (4.62 MB, 4032x3024)
4.62 MB
4.62 MB JPG
I got some fruit tree cuttings online, will this work? I'm in central FL so temps aren't an issue.
>>
>>2096058
Wow thanks, that's interesting to say the least, didn't know that was a thing, grapevines btw
>>
hey guys is there a way i can test for grazon and other herbacides and pecticides in the hay i bought?also does anyone know where i can find hay that was not sprayed?
>>
>>2093772
soil contains an incredible amount of mycelium, you've probably just created the right conditions for a certain fungus to spawn mushrooms.
>>
>>2094700
queen annes lace is also known as wild carrot, but the original poster was asking for an ID on the bugs >>2094503
>>2094352
are they eating the plant? they could just be pollinators. i can't really tell and you'd have to provide more info like where you're growing them. look up common pests, could be aphids?
>>
This is a very stupid question but I didn't realize until after I planted, I don't know what a hydrangea sprout looks like. All the guides I read and videos I watched either showed an already established plant or a plant growing from a clipping. What does a freshly grown from seed hydrangea look like when it first comes out of the ground?
>>
>>2096055
Thanks. I'm on 2 acres but that all came from my 12×7 greenhouse, aside from the radishes.
>>
>>2090078
Any ideas how I could make a quick compost from scratch with mainly foraged materials that would be ready in about 4-5 weeks? UK btw
>>
>>2096131
Also would Grokashi and a KNF/ Instant microbial tea help remove harmful pathogens from horse manure and speed up the process?
>>
>>2095273
Into the trash they go.
>>
File: 20210502_055622.jpg (4.48 MB, 5312x2988)
4.48 MB
4.48 MB JPG
Whole-sprouted-tomato anon (>>2078889) here:
I kept all the sprouts watered and outside in the shade, and they all died eventually. The one coming out of the tomato and one of the single sprouts lived longest, but eventually they died as well. Maybe the transplants died from the trauma of being pulled out of the tomato and the one I left in died because the tomato started to rot/mold or something, I don't know.
However, after everything looked dead, a single one of the pots did produce three healthy-looking seedlings. I believe this is the pot that I put the chunk of tomato into, and I'm pretty sure these only grew so well because they weren't already sprouted when I removed the chunk from the tomato and put it in the soil.

I'd like to continue cultivating these. How do I know when they're big enough to put into a large pot? Is it that time already?
Also, I suspect three separate tomato plants can't exist that close together. Is there any hope of separating them into their own pots, or do I just have to kill whichever two aren't growing so well after a while and leave the best one alive? One of the two taller ones is already kind of loose/wobbly when I tilt the pot, which I found strange. It's not limp, it's like the base of it isn't secured or something.
>>
File: 1619977960966.jpg (1.95 MB, 2560x1920)
1.95 MB
1.95 MB JPG
Posted a pic of broccolis planted too close to each other not long ago, the broccolis are finally coming up, many of them are small still (pic related is the biggest ones) but I think they'll still get bigger
>>
>>2096224
Are you the anon we told that they were too close and would never get big and then would bolt?
>>
>>2095041
Litterally anything, surplus potash won’t hurt and 5-5 nitgrogen phosphorus is a solid over all ratio for most plants.
>>
>>2096172
Try separating. worst case scenario 2/3 die, but you only would have had 1 anyway. I separated a few tomato seedlings like this a few weeks back and they’re doing fine.
Also they’re not ready. The best way is to slide the soil mass out of the pot and check for root bounding, but I can already tell that, that plants roots aren’t established that much and you’d just end up dumping the soil out because they’re not held together by roots.
>>
>>2096131
50/50 nitrogen (green), carbon (brown). Keep watered, turn couple times a week. Break down material manually as much as possible. If using dried leaves for carbon, grind them down with a mower or something so they’re fine.
>>
>>2093094
I was thinking about getting some chickens, but building a coop right now with lumber prices the way they are would be insane. It's like $70 per sheet of plywood.
I'd be raising them probably mostly for eggs, partially as a trial run for a possibility of doing a meat bird run on another part of my property on a tractor setup.
I keep looking for excuses to commit to them, but the start up price of a coop is a big bullet to bite for stupid little birds.
>>
>>2096352
Use plastic or get a saw and tear apart pallets The wood aint the best but its dirt cheap and easy to replace
>>
>>2096359
>coop
My bad cant use plastic for that thought you meant chicken tractor type
>>
>>2096364
Yeah, plus my back is a bit fucked so I'd rather make it easy to clean, which means actually building to a design instead of just using whatever I can find.
It's rough, but that's life.
>>
>>2094708
man where is that pic from? I think I need zone 10 for mine
>>
>>2096372
I found it on Google images but another anon responded with link below wich is probably what you want.

https://gardenate.com/plants/
>>
>In-ground strawberries putting out flowers and leaves the size of my head
>Container strawberries still look BTFO from winter

Container growing sux, I need more space
>>
>>2096172
>Is it that time already?
divide into similar containers/cups and let them grow a bit before hardening off

>Is there any hope of separating them into their own pots
yes, tomatoes are very resilient, just gently separate the roots in chunks
>>
>>2096072
Depends on the type of fruit. Some fruits root easily others are better propagated through grafting or seeds.
>>
>>2095283
What kind of cherry is that?
>>
>>2095283
I have planted 7 bare root plants this year, this is my first time getting into gardening and they have all woken up and are doing well. I like that the plant comes dormant so it can take some abuse when you plant it, although as a new gardener I was afraid that they weren't going to wake up.
>>
File: IMG_20210502_105408.jpg (190 KB, 1080x772)
190 KB
190 KB JPG
>>2095883
so... yeah... Anyone recognize this?
>>
>>2096291
But the broccolis we eat ARE the plants bolting, but yeah I think
>>
File: nitrogen.jpg (106 KB, 638x479)
106 KB
106 KB JPG
Ok so N can be pulled out of the air by bacteria in unlimited quantities. Where do P and K come from? Aside from the fertilizer truck I mean, mr mosaic salesman.
>>
>>2096797
King Mulberry, Guanabana, and Pineapple guava.

I used peat moss starting seed soil with like 50% perlite and packed the shit out of in cups
>>
>>2096989
>Ok so N can be pulled out of the air by bacteria in unlimited quantities.
I'd like to point out that's just the case with plants that have a symbiotic relationship with certain plants, otherwise nitrogen gets in the soil by decomposition of dead organic matter or pee
While I haven't looked at potassium origins but I read that phosphorus is mainly 'extracted' from rocks and minerals, which is also done by fungi
>>
>>2097070
Idk if king mulberry is morus alba, rubra, or nigra. Alba and rubra root very easily from cuttings. For whatever reason morus nigra is harder to root (its usually grafted to alba rootstock). For guanabana i think spft cuttings are used to root. I dont have experience rooting pineapple guava. I have tried tropical guava and have had no success (both hardwood and softwood cuttings). I have found grafting guavas is very difficult too but ive had a couple grafts take so i know its possible. They are probably very finicky with the rootstock used (soft, semi hard, or hard wood), the scion, the cleanliness of the cuts, the matching of the cambium, the wrapping, the temperature outside, and the moisture in the parafilm (too moist and it rots, too dry and it dies).
>>
File: 20210503_134418.jpg (3.82 MB, 3024x3576)
3.82 MB
3.82 MB JPG
what the fuck is eating up my mongolian sunflowers? theres always some ants on it but ive been having a huge problem with snails recently too. theres this weird glaze thing all over the stem and some of the leaves
>>
File: 20210503_134615.jpg (1.25 MB, 2233x2338)
1.25 MB
1.25 MB JPG
for example this is the glaze rhing im talking about, its all over the stem too. how do i stop this? whatever is doing this already killed one of the flowers
>>
>>2097519
Cute feet
>>
>>2097591
i will unironically post feet pics if thats what you want if somebody tells me whats killing my flowers, these things are all i have left
>>
>>2097519
>>2097524
>>2097620
The slime trail is 100% undeniable proof of snail/slug activity. Your shit's being eaten by slugs, dude.
>>
>>2097620
>>2097632
Now post feet.
>>
File: rad.jpg (809 KB, 1248x1664)
809 KB
809 KB JPG
why do my radishes (right) have an almost non-existant taproot?
>>
>>>/ck/16049346
>>
>>2097519
pack sand around the base of your plants
>>
>>2097685
>>2097632
should i get some stuff from home depot to protect from slugs or just pack sand?
>>
>>2097697
You can try beer trapping them. Make a moat around the plants, or get a shallow bowl, fill it with beer. They're attracted to the scent, but alcohol is a poison that kills them.
>>
>>2097937
>>2097937
>>2097937
>>
>>2097645
Even the leaves look weird
>>
File: 1602994474564.jpg (76 KB, 1024x836)
76 KB
76 KB JPG
>>2092852
Thank you fren, good to know
>>
File: 1519130586419.jpg (18 KB, 362x362)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>2090924
You jerked off that jannie for nothing, anon

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.