[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 81 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

#385-“Two Perch?!” Edition

Previous Thread:
>>2062907

Thinking about picking up a new hobby? Want to get a memecaster? Haven't mastered the Palomar knot? Click here!
http://www.pastebin.com/u/fishingandtackle
https://imgur.com/a/1Xw3N

First for best telescopic rod is the one you exchanged for a 3pc.

Talk about fishin
>>
Why are there 200 types of hooks? Let’s take this incredibly simple thing and make it ridiculously complicated. It takes 10 minutes just to find a normal hook in the store
>>
File: IMG_20210407_165612.jpg (277 KB, 1080x1440)
277 KB
277 KB JPG
>>2068975
Can't really tell but he's just chilling down there still
>>
>>2068984

Because there are a ton of methods of fishing and types/sizes of baits? I've had 3 different hook types/sizes on the same dropper loop setup before to fish different bait and got bit on all three of them.
>>
>>2068991
You could have used the same hook shaped thing and had the same result. There should be three different sizes of pic related and that’s it. Even when I do find whatever stupid named hook that pic related is, then I have to wade through 14 different sizes of hooks that stupid nigger fisherman put back in the wrong place on the sales rack
>>
>>2068984
It may be "simple" but it's actually the most important piece of tackle as it decides if you are going to hook into a fish or not.

There aren't that many fundamental types either, the confusing part comes from specialty ones for specific rigs.
>>
>>2068984
Why do we even use hooks? Why don't we just gill net everything?
>>
>>2069012
Amen, brother. Instead here I am trying to snag bluegill on the only hooks I could find
>>
File: IMG_20210407_172752.jpg (48 KB, 768x1024)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>>2068985
Update: fishe moved so not quite dead yet
>>
>>2068999
>post aberdeen hooks
>wastes trips
>not even circle hooks
Oh boy
>>
>>2069020
F
>>
>>2068999

Top hook is a #2 flyliner to pin on a live sardine. Second hook is a big 7/0 shrimp fly long shanked hook with a piece of squid on it, bigger hook keeps the smaller rockfish from being able to get hooked on it. Bottom hook is a 2/0 or 3/0 circle for chunks of shrimp for sheephead. On boats with 30+ people rockfishing I usually have one of the beat hauls because I'm not mindlessly dropping redundant presentations. Idk where you are, but your fishery is not everyone's fishery.
>>
>>2068984
Every hook style offers unique advantages or has specific use cases. It's not as apparent to average gear fisherman due to ignorance/inexperience but for more specialized anglers it's really obvious.
>>
File: IMG_20210407_173401.jpg (215 KB, 768x1024)
215 KB
215 KB JPG
>>2069020
Further update: I used a stick to push it to the shore and found that it had huge brown lesions on it. This isn't the first fish I've seen like this today too
>>
>>2069029
Rip the little nigga, he didn't deserve this
>>
>>2069026
Do you actually think you’d catch a different amount of fish with these three hooks and a cup of night crawlers?
I’m pretty sure this is a conspiracy to take all your money by the tacklejew.
>>
File: hooks.jpg (922 KB, 1512x2016)
922 KB
922 KB JPG
this is just my freshwater bass hooks. 10 types in various sizes, 21 packs total
>>
>>2069035
for >>2068984
>>
Can't find my camera but I bought a little box of tackle and it came with this sorta V-shaped metal implement on a string and I have absolutely no clue what it's used for.
>>
>>2068923
As the guy recommending the QX, I say good luck. I vote 6 lb Trilene Sensation, or Suffix.
>>
>>2069042
Is it a stringer?
>>
>>2069042
it's a stringer. you put it through the fishes mouth and out the gill plate and can leave the fish alive in the water while you continue fishing.
>>
File: stringer.jpg (141 KB, 1320x1320)
141 KB
141 KB JPG
>>2069045
Yeah, that looks about right. I guess you jam the hard metal part through the poor bastard's face, I've never strung my catches up before.
>>
>>2069047
https://youtu.be/4IpzVinkW9c
>>
>>2069034
>catch a different... fish with these three hooks and a cup of night crawlers?
Literally yes, depending on the fish, water and weather.
>tacklejew
I'm a hardcore anti-consumer but hooks are different tools for different jobs and actually pennies each. Don't buy over priced brand name gear, the couple hundred bucks you save buying a no name cooler vs a yeti will buy you hooks for life. Now stop shitting up the thread.
>>
>>2068984
my dad gives me a lot of grief for my gear, he's a carguy, so I have to explain that fishing gear and tackle is like tools for fixing up and maintaining a car, you need several different tools, and in different sizes, which all do one specific job.
>>
hooks a hook man they're all sharp and pointy and the dumb fish gets stuck on them
>>
>>2069064
Post catches
>>
>>2069066
>post catches
Fine
>>
What are your favorite fishing youtube channels?
>>
>>2069093
Unfathomably based
>>
>>2069073
I'll eat crow and give credit where credit is due, you legit only use one style of hook and don't think about what hook you're using?
>>
>>2069093
Holy shit it's real.
>>
>>2069112
no shit, I'm a honest fisherman
>>
Pic related is silly, especially since each one has like 8 different sizes
>>
>>2069114
#2 is my favorite for drop shot fishing, honestly
>>
>>2069034
Specific use cases and advantages. Furthest hook to the right would probably be the best for nightcrawlers. Barbs on shank to stop worms from getting nabbed by smaller fish, smaller hook allows for a more natural presentation, and thinner wire diameter for easier hook sets. That's why I said ignorant/inexperienced, your average googan will not understand the how hooks work. Hooks are a tool, a solution to a problem. I could probably write a 4 page essay on which hook bends alone.

>>2069047
Don't, its for retard boomers and urbanites who don't know any better
>>
>>2069114
Why is there a jig mold hook
>>
>>2069114
I only use 26 cause it's got a funny eye haha
>>
>>2069128
I think you mean the one with lead weight on it. It's for rigging a swim bait, so the weight is in the belly and it swims better.
>>
>>2069135
#3 doofus
>>
File: 1613804856038.jpg (188 KB, 1024x768)
188 KB
188 KB JPG
>>2069143
Oh. That one is for molding jigs.
>>
What do I do with this. I just bought it because it was what looked most like a hook that I could find
>>
>>2069148
Get a pack of senkos and send it
>>
>>2068984
hook shape is kinda important when trying to get a good hookup on some types of fish

Its not just shape of the curve. You need to be aware of thickness, barbs, sharpness, saltwater corrosion resistance, hook eye types. If you are using bait you want something designed to hold your bait well, in the UK we have specific maggot hooks and worms hooks that help keep the bait on. There's nothing worse than reeling in your line after an hour to find out your bait fell off the hook in the cast. Imo the most important factor is matching hook size to your quarry, you get that right and everything should be OK
>>
>>2069019
That's because bassfags like to spend money so they have a different hook for every type of soft plastic.
>>
>>2069163
Personally I only use solid gold anchor hooks to catch bass. If I'm paying less than $10 it's not a good hook.
>>
>>2069047
You open up the fishes mouth with the pointy end and keep running it along the side of their mouth and eventually it will poke out their gill holes. You then run the pointy end through the ring and you now have a string with a fish on it and a knot at the end so it can't fall off. You can now simply run the the pointy end through some more gill openings and stack up your fish on the line. You can also take the pointy end and stick it in the bank so your fish are in the water but don't float / swim away.
>>
>>2069172
You know, I'm a retard but I sorta wonder if a strong enough fish couldn't just rip the pointy end out of the ground and take off with your stringer and any other fish unfortunate enough to be stuck to it.
>>
>>2069172
>>2069179
I just tie the pointy end to a tree branch so I don't gotta worry about em swimmin away
>>
>>2069179
Pretty unlikely but possible I guess. Every year I find a few stringers with either half a dozen walleye or 2-5 nice sized bass floating out in the middle of the river, dead and bloated to fuck. Boomers need to be put down.
>>
File: 20210407_202827.jpg (4.31 MB, 4032x3024)
4.31 MB
4.31 MB JPG
>>2069044
Thank you for the good luck wishes eh. Looking forward to getting out there this weekend and feeling things out. You have been very helpful and hate to impose but would you perhaps be able to elaborate on line choice and poundage etc? Started googling and it seems that every aspect of a fishing setup is a rabbit hole that goes forever. Makes choices very hard. The rod is not a heavy one and that connects to a lower lb line in my head but again this is with zero experience so I dont trust myself much.

>>2068927
>>2068971
Reasons why these types are preferred? Trilene seems pretty well approved based on what I can see but there are so many versions. Experiences and comparisons with the other varieties and why the choices?

- Picture is the old tackle box of my dad's I dug out of a corner that hasn't been touched in literal decades. Comments on what I could/would start with? Will be going to a pond and a couple smaller streams and medium sized rivers this weekend to try and give myself some variety of experience depending on what bites or not and such. Just literally have no idea where to start and trial and error works but would love some pointers. Can take stuff out and open etc.
>>
>>2069179
>>2069179
When I put them on the stringer that is the time I am also bleeding the fish out so between the manhandling, lack of oxygen, and it's cut gills it doesn't have much life left. But yeah your point is valid, its a wimpy spike that a strong fish could possibly rip out. If you want to go that route I recommend a keep net or container instead.
>>
>>2069163
>>
File: 20210407_203819.jpg (3.95 MB, 4032x3024)
3.95 MB
3.95 MB JPG
>>2069184
Unwrapping things
>>
File: 20210407_204056.jpg (3.66 MB, 4032x3024)
3.66 MB
3.66 MB JPG
>>2069191
Cntd
>>
>>2069148
return it and get ewg's
>>
File: 20210407_204152.jpg (3.44 MB, 4032x3024)
3.44 MB
3.44 MB JPG
>>2069192
Forgot he dabbled with fly fishing
>>
>>2069184

Trilene XL = the least prone to line twist (still twists if you can't stand line twist switch to braid)
Trilene XT = has the best abrasion resistance
Trilene Sensation = has the least stretch but twists really easy
Trilene Big Game = Inexpensive general purpose, comes on big spools and available in big diameters.
>>
>>2069198
Much appreciated. Decided to snag the sensation 6lb. From what I recall of my fishing as a kid I could never feel things on the line like people would tell me about so I think a sensitive setup makes sense.

Going to have my buddy set me up with a few lures/bait/whatnot that he has had local success with and going to just see how it goes this weekend. Thanks again fishfags!
>>
File: plastics.jpg (3.62 MB, 3569x2687)
3.62 MB
3.62 MB JPG
>>2069187
worst part is I feel like there's still some holes I need to fill.
>>
>>2069215
It's the one in your heart where hope used to live
>>
>>2069220
eh, I caught fish with all except the skinny neko and the zmans, so I stand by my choices. You don't even want to know how much I've spent on chatterbaits.
>>
>>2069172

I have a similar type of stringer on my dive belt for spearing and I've found the best way to put a fish on a stringer was in one eye socket and out the other.
>>
>>2069224
Why do you keep buying more if you’re not using the ones you have... it’s not like it’s ammunition. There’ll always be more at the store if you happen to run out
>>
>>2069224
Dont mind me. Was just projecting my own hopelessness upon another. Now I feel badly. I imagine you get much enjoyment from the hobby and collecting baits to use. May the fish bite them fiercely anon. And I exaggerate...the day always dawns anew.
>>
>>2069215
Looks like you're missing watermelon red flukes,
>>
>>2069229
im not buying more cause I've ran out, I'm buying more cause it's a couple of different colors I'd like to have on hand in case I ever need them. At least plastics wise, chatterbaits I buy more cause I've lost 4 or so which are like 15 bucks each.

I've done a lot of party boat fishing and I've seen a lot of people loose fish or not catch fish at all because they either had the wrong shit or didn't have what they needed at all.

>>2069232
same here anon, so far 14 bass in one morning has been my best day. I caught 6 at a super pressured small lake in the middle of an algae bloom and my buddy said that was like catching 50 in a day though.
>>
>>2069229
Not him but Covid brought supply shortage for several fishing related products here.
>>
>>2069224

Don't EVER stop to think about how much money you have in tackle. Only madness lies down that road. Fuck you just made me do a quick mental tally and I think I have probably ~$500 or more just in shore jigs, probably another $300 in stickbaits and poppers, $400 in west coast surface and yoyo irons, $150 in jigheads and plastics, let's not get into setups...
>>
>>2069237

I don't freshwater fish much, but for saltwater bass there's only like 4 color groups you need and past that it's a waste of space in my tackle box.
>>
File: bean collage.jpg (1007 KB, 1500x1500)
1007 KB
1007 KB JPG
>>2069240
I got an easy 1.5 to 2k in just saltwater rods, my jigstick alone was probably worth 250 or 300 new cause it was a custom wrap and I got a deal and it was only about 150. I don't recommend fishing as a hobby to older friends just because it can seem like a money pit, but all this shit has landed me some nice fish though.

>>2069243
I used to fish only saltwater, but since I picked up bass fishing last summer, I feel that it's turning me into a better, more capable fisherman cause I'm learning all these new techniques and methods, and just because bass can bite really really subtle compared to spotties or calicos or sand bass.
>>
>>2069187
>>2069215
Show hook collection
>>
>>2069247
I keep loading up on gear for spotties but I just keep surf fishing for dink perch
>>
File: despair.jpg (18 KB, 341x341)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
I found a really sweet big lake that I thought was derelict (previous owner had problems with insurance almost a decade ago and closed it off to fishing) but it turns out some faggot purchased it a month ago it and is using it for a private carp syndicate

talked to locals and they haven't seen anyone fish it for the last 10 years

My fucking bad luck, wish I had found it earlier
>>
>>2069247

I'm about the same in rods that I bought, plus the 10-15 I inherited from my dad, same with reels. I almost envy the landlocked folks that only have a few target species to get gear for, but then I guess there's always those lmb autists that have 10 nearly identical rods on their boat. Speaking of jig sticks, I'm headed out on the San Diego on Friday and am in the process of talking my wife into me going on a day and a half next weekend after they limited on bft today. Also, you are a brave man using a tranx in the surf. After my brother nearly destroyed a curado in the sand I usually just have a ~$50 spinner that lasts a season and a half or two.
>>
File: bass hooks.jpg (1.39 MB, 3024x3371)
1.39 MB
1.39 MB JPG
>>2069252
dink perch are ok to start with, corbina is the real catch and the only thing I surf fish for nowadays just because my uncle has seen world record size ones in the beaches we fish, they fight harder, and are just a more hard fish to catch. Also spotfins. Spotties I only fish for at night now and you just need two colors, halloween and black widow. Day time yeah you do need a couple more.

>>2069250
this is just the bass ones.

>>2069261
the trick is getting reels serviced once every year to 2 years if you have been taking care of them, that means NEVER dropping them in the sand, always rinsing them with a spray hose after each use by tightening the drag first and then loosing it once you dry them. San Diego is best boat in the fleet btw, day and half I would wait cause this early the bluefin can be super hit or miss. Although desu sometimes you just gotto go for them, my last trip I caught 4, 2 in the 100# class and I had skunked on tuna for the last 5 tuna trips prior, all had been on full days though and the big boys came when they were at the cortez last year.
>>
File: 1617849060_24161339.jpg (758 KB, 2416x1339)
758 KB
758 KB JPG
>>2069267
My only bean I've hooked onto broke off when trying to lift onto a pier, way long ago when I was just a mere 15 year old lad. Only got back into fishing a few months ago. I usually fish later mornings to noon which isn't ideal for spotties (which are usually more active before sunrise and after sunset from what I've read?).
>>
>>2069288
bay fishing, it's all about tidal movements, I like outgoing tides the best, but around sunset/sunrise can be good too. Surf fishing I like minus tides, especially if I plan to stay all day and the low tide is some hours after sunrise, that way I can see what I'm working with for the high tide. I'll fish the outgoing, and the incoming.
>>
File: 20210407_225120.jpg (2.02 MB, 3264x2448)
2.02 MB
2.02 MB JPG
>>2069250
>hook autism posting
>no mention of fly fags
>pic related
That's not even the stuff I'm out of or can't find
>>
https://youtu.be/A1CYBSU3bZA
Who here fishes for pike with live baby ducklings
>>
>>2069315
I heard an old timer say he used to buy rats at the pet shop to use as live bait for muskie.
>>
Why do largemouth bass fishermen post photos of them long arming the shit out of the fish to angle the fish to make it look 10000 times bigger than it really is? Do they not realize experienced bass fishermen look at the mouth in relation to your hand? If you can barely fit your hand in it's mouth, it is not even 2 pounds. Like it's piss easy to tell if a bass is actually big.
>>
Btw stop talking about how much you guys wasted on tackle. I don't want to think about that crap. We have anons in here throwing Roman Made Mother's and shit. Like what the fuck. I have multiple $1k+ combos but I can't fathom the mentality of throwing out a $1k custom swimbait in the chances it may snag. I throw Deps 250's and even I think those are ridiculous.
>>
>>2069318
cameras do weird tricks anon, plus some people have bigger hands than others.
>>
File: 20190626_203820.jpg (2.9 MB, 4032x2268)
2.9 MB
2.9 MB JPG
>>2069267

Ya I usually try for the San Diego for islands trips. Usually end up going with them 5-6 times a year, an overnight/1.5 or two and half days every once in a while, but usually I just go spearing if I want taco meat. Pic related was one of my better stringers, that was one drift of about an hour and a half. When I fish for beans I end up waist high in the surf and stuff though, so baitcasters get thrashed.
>>
>>2069292

For beans I have always had the best luck an hour before and after sunset.
>>
>>2069333
same, but that's also when the stingrays like to come out and play as well which is an issue sometimes.

Also always jump when I notice a 50#+ batray in like 2ft of water. I hate stingrays and mudmarlin as bycatch and also as nuisances to your feet.
>>
>>2069317
https://youtu.be/_KIE3L2WOFY
Sick
>>
>>2069336

Rays don't really bug me, but when I'm diving I get sketched out by eels. Google a pic of a moray skull, they have two sets of jaws that lock and their body is all wound up in the rocks. Like if one were to nab you while grabbing bugs you would have to take its head off before you drown.
>>
>>2069338
Every time I see this channel I get a little jealous at how he managed to turn that fishery into a serious living. I have fished that river before, and it's the best smallmouth fishing there is. You could literally throw anything that moves in and you will catch dozens of smallmouth.
>>
>>2069092
ndyakangler

the bob ross of fishing
>>
>>2069317
I remember hearing a thing about hooking a rat, putting him on a log, floating the log out then pulling him off of it so he'd start swimming.
>>
>>2069492
Josh?
>>
File: 20210408_092357.png (656 KB, 720x962)
656 KB
656 KB PNG
Just caught my pb bass! I love roughing it with the boys on the water.
>>
>>2069647
can't tell if this is bait
>>
>>2069662

Not bait, I think I see a jig.
>>
>>2069647
nice bass...? You look like a onions skelly.
>>
Gonna go for lakers after work, I wanna try smoking some. What do you guys think about this, but replacing the spruce tips with orange zest? I don't have any tips and I have no idea where I would get them on short notice.
https://honest-food.net/smoked-lake-trout-recipe/
>>
>>2069696
Spruce tips are herbal with slight nut and citrus flavors. You would be better off using thyme or rosemary + tarragon. Then adding some lemon zest and juice. I'll look for my dad's recipe and post it if I can find it. It's a different flavor overall but good nonetheless.
>>
>>2069338
I have those same water shoes. They are great.
>>
>>2069338
WTF is this clicker thing?
>>
File: whatisthis.png (382 KB, 621x347)
382 KB
382 KB PNG
>>2069757
>hurrdurr dont forget to include the pic hurrdurr
>>
>>2069261
Anyone with a boat who fishes with friends and family members who aren't fishing autists needs (boat capacity) of the basic combos. I've got 4 leadline rods with only enough variation to keep my lines spread out enough to avoid tangles (two different weight line and two different length rods), 4 medium heavy spinning rods for trolling cranks, 4 medium light Lindy rig spinning rods for shallow trolling worm/leech/minnow rigs, 4 light weight slip bobber spinning rods, 4 medium jigging rods, and then all my different specialty rods that I don't force normies to try and copy.

But when you've got 4 lines down and you're helping people land fish and rebait too often to fish your own rod, it's all worth it.
>>
>>2069778
kayak motor control
>>
>>2069778
Up and down for a powerpole.
>>
>>2069886
This. You should be able to hear the pole drag a bit as it anchors during his vids.
>>
whats a good 300 series spinning reel to order off amazon for 10 lb mono bros.
>>
>>2070013
If you specifically have to order off Amazon I would get a KastKing reel just so you don't end up overpaying. (their tackle prices are all over the place often much more expensive than a sporting goods store).
>>
>>2070013
Why are you trying to pair a reel to a line instead of a line to reel?
>>
>>2070013
Depends on your price range, but shimano reels are excellent. Get a Sahara of if you have the budget, last years model of Stradic
>>
>>2070021
You got it backwards mate. What you want to throw -> line -> rod -> reel.
>>
File: IMG_20210408_183213.jpg (1.99 MB, 3472x4640)
1.99 MB
1.99 MB JPG
waiting for ice to melt..
>>
>>2069647
Why do you dress, look and act like a faggot?
>>
>>2070013
Legalis
>>
>>2069647
Excuse me sweety, you don't dress to the high standards of the high class individuals on /out/ so we're going to have to ask you to leave.
>>
Some of my other hobbies have gotten too expensive so I dug out my big ass fishing pole and started to go fishing mainly in the piers every couple of weeks
feels great
>>
Can’t remember if I shared this yet
>>
>>2070071
Don't hold their mouth like that, it looks painful. Nice fish
>>
>>2070059
He's a bass fisherman, duh.
>>
Going to try spinning (light rod) for Flounder on the Dutch beach soon.
Hope they're actually big enough for 9cm plastics.
>>
File: 1569616911739.jpg (88 KB, 1024x681)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
I'm having trouble finding braid in the 2-4 lb test range, can anyone point me in the right direction? Am I retarded? Should I just go ahead and commit sudoku?
>>
>>2070145
Just go with 8lb braid. It's thinner than 4lb mono.
>>
File: PickUpTheCayenne.png (677 KB, 821x682)
677 KB
677 KB PNG
>>2068973
So I went fishing for the first time in years following the OP pastebins and imgur. Didnt catch a thing. Ive never caught a fish in my life. However I was looking on those boomer fishing forums for my state (co) and they say its all been fished out around where I live. Am I fucked, fishfrens? I dont wanna have to drive 2+ hours into the mountains to catch my first fishie.
>>
>>2070147
Is that... okay to do? Forgive my ignorance, but I'm a total fuckin' noob and don't wanna screw up my Daiwa BBB some crazy how. Is line diameter really the only determinant of the 2-5 lb rating on my rod?
>>
>>2070159
You just didn't present anything attractive to the fish.
>>
>>2070159
That’s the equivalent of me telling randoms not to go hiking somewhere because the trail is closed because of a property dispute
>>
>>2070071
You shared it when I asked about your watch.
>>
>>2070171
I used quite a bit, I think. Practically the only thing I didnt use was live bait. It didnt help that it was also super windy today
>>
File: 20210408_172615.jpg (2.39 MB, 3264x2448)
2.39 MB
2.39 MB JPG
>flashy
>floaty
>poppy
>weedless
>~5 inches long
Here's hoping fish like it too
>>
>>2070159
Guessing you are on the front range? If so, ignore the boomers. The front range reservoirs are heavily pressured, but still have plenty of fish in them. One tip is to get a second rod stamp and fish carp while you are out there. Carp are everywhere on the front range and are not nearly as fished for as other fish. 8lb mono, a slip sinker (somewhere around 1/4 to 1/2 oz) above a small split shot about a foot to two feet above a small hook with a few pieces of corn or a worm. Make sure to either let the line freely run out or really secure the rod, because carp will absolutely pull the rod straight in. If you secure the rod rather than letting it loose stick a bell on the end of the rod so you can hear bites from far away, walmart has fishing bells for like a buck. Just throw that out wherever you are fishing and use your other rod to fish lures. Sandy or muddy areas near cover are good, because throwing that rig straight into the weeds or rocks will just result in snags. Once you get a bite, hold on. 5+ pounders are the norm, and will pull out a lot of line. 20 pounders are not rare, and put up an insane fight.

As for lure fishing, going in the early morning (like, showing up before sunrise) or in the evening/night is pretty key. Afternoon fishing is rough on pressured lakes and you will rarely catch much. Cover is key for lure fishing, look for areas with lots of rocks like dam faces. Spoons like medium sized kastmasters catch stocker rainbows well, and can double as a walleye or bass lure with a little skill at keeping them near the bottom but not hitting to bottom to avoid snags. Marabou jigs are also a good choice, and are cheap enough that you can hop them on the bottom and not feel too bad when you lose one.

All that said, yeah, the mountain lakes are better. The front range lakes are fishable, but are definitely below average.
>>
>>2070198
>>2070159
Forgot to mention, when lure fishing from shore make sure to keep moving. Trout are wanderers, but bass, walleye, and panfish tend to sit around a lot. Keep walking down the shoreline casting until you get into the fish.
>>
>>2070198
Alright, very noted. I went around 10, because i thought warmer=better. Something I noticed were that all the fish crowded in the middle, it looked like they were being harassed by the bunch of ducks out today. So will live bait be better for later in the day, or is early morning the only way to go? Thanks a lot for the advice btw, really appreciate it
>>
>>2070176
Oh no that was the first one, this is the second, first one was 2.5, this one is 4 on the dot.
>>
>>2070198
This, carp fishing is highly underrated. I carp fish when I'm bass fishing at my local park, it's piss easy to spot carp when sight fishing for bass, see a gigantic bloom of sand and mud being kicked up, 100% chance it's a carp looking for food, throw a simple 1/8 Oz weight carolina rig with a size 12 octopus hook with corn = easy as FUCK.

I seldom carp fish though because when bass fishing I'm moving every 5 minutes.
>>
>>2070210
Oh, i I heard there were lots of carp in one of the lakes nearby. The one I went to said it had bluegill, bass, green sunfish, and perch. Thanks for the info fren
>>
File: psycho-pass02-2.jpg (89 KB, 1280x720)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
>>2070163
Anyone? Someone please soothe my autism...
>>
File: bobber.jpg (207 KB, 1300x956)
207 KB
207 KB JPG
>>2070207
>>2070227
If you are fishing a panfish lake from shore, try a bobber rig. I prefer the style like pic related, but any small bobber would work. Use a small hook, enough split shot to slightly sink the bobber to add weight so you can cast, and a worm. It can be hard to find small worms for sale, so either dig your own or use a small piece of a nightcrawler. Crappie jigs like Beetle Bou jigs also work if you don't want to use live bait, but you will need to add a little action rather than just letting it sit. Any shallow weedy area will work, but especially look for holes in the weeds, or weed edges leading to deeper water if you can find them from shore. Look up how to set up a slip bobber if you want an even better chance, that way you can easily get your bait closer to the bottom which tends to be better.

As for time of day, panfish will bite pretty much all day long. Carp will also bite all day, but are best in the morning. As a pretty universal rule, predators feed during the morning and evening so if you want a bass make sure to get out there as early as you can, it really does make a massive difference for bass.

If you are up for a bit of an adventure, hit up a walleye lake like Chatfield. Walleye are on the post spawn right now so this is the best time to catch them. Get out there an hour before sunset with a headlamp and stay out after dark. Find somewhere rocky and fish shallow, casting a spoon or crankbait along the shore or bounce a jig, tipped with a worm or minnow if you are feeling fancy, along the bottom. Keep the headlamp off whenever you can to avoid spooking them. Walleye are also the best tasting fish you can find on the front range if you want to try eating a fish.

>>2070237
Rod line size limits are based on the strength of the rod. If you use 8lb braid all the way, you could break your rod if you crank down the drag. What I would do is use 8lb braid, then a leader of 2lb-5lb mono or fluoro.
>>
File: 1569201861686.jpg (938 KB, 1200x1800)
938 KB
938 KB JPG
>>2070243
Thank you so, so much Anon. This has been holding me back for like two months, you seriously have no idea what a relief this is.
> If you use 8lb braid all the way, you could break your rod if you crank down the drag.
This was precisely one of my concerns.
>What I would do is use 8lb braid, then a leader of 2lb-5lb mono or fluoro.
Yeah, roger that bro, I'll give that a shot. What knot would you recommend for line to leader hookup, like a surgeon's, or something more general purpose?
>>
>>2070264
Use an Albright knot to tie the two together
>>
>>2070264
I just tie a Surgeon's Loop with the braid, then use my normal Trilene knot to attach the mono. It has been a lot more consistent for me than using a double uni knot which is what I used to do. I have yet to have it snap at the line connection, so I think it's pretty strong plus you can use a long leader since you can reel it up fine. I don't hear about anybody else using it so I'm not too sure about it though. With that said, I normally use 20lb braid and a 4lb-8lb leader so it's possible the thinner braid you want to use could cut the mono. If you want to use a short leader you could just use a ring and tie your normal knot on either side. Since you are using such thin line, I would recommend you use a good 15 feet of mono so that you can get some stretch unless you have a really bendy rod though.
>>
File: 1569566991950.jpg (126 KB, 1200x1038)
126 KB
126 KB JPG
>>2070271
>>2070272
Thank you both, gentlemen. I've screencapped your recommendations for later transcription and will try both.
>>
>>2070208
Oh okay. Still a nice watch.
>>
>>2070243
You have been so helpful, thank you. Im more or less learning from these generals so thank you very much. I might hit up Chatfield in the coming week or so, and I'll update you all on if I catch anything from anywhere. Thank you again anon :)
>>
>>2070145
Ice fishing braid is just braid, and available in lighter weights.
>>
File: 1569075561472.png (345 KB, 620x640)
345 KB
345 KB PNG
>>2070375
Oh, fo rizzle? Thanks dude, I'll look into that.
>>
I think this is going to change my life
https://youtu.be/9UT3-7_nnxk
Usually I just fumble around for a minute trying to wrap line around 7 times
>>
>>2070383
https://youtu.be/ZeISlKp_ej8
>>
Does anyone fish Catskill style dry flies? I never used them but think they are interesting looking. 80 percent of the time I fish parachute or comparadun style flies and 20 percent of the time some attractor either foam or a stimulator. What situation would you fish them in?
>>
>>2070210
When you are bottom fishing a slip sinker rig like that isn't it easy for the hook to get to stuck in some debris on the bottom ? Does it not matter for carp since they just suck it up anyway ?
>>
>>2070426
They don't give a shit, they just suck it up.
>>
>>2070386
>>2070383
Or you could just use a palomar, trilene, or improved clinch knot like the rest of us with a high enough IQ to google "good fishing knots".
>>
File: the pond.jpg (139 KB, 1232x731)
139 KB
139 KB JPG
>>2070335
Good luck man. One other spot you might try if you head to Chatfield and need something to do during the day before the walleye fishing starts is hit up the little pond on the south side for carp. It was my favorite carp spot when I used to live in the area. During the high water in spring, the northern edge floods and carp enter it from the main lake to spawn, then they get stuck there after the water drops again. I fished that slip sinker rig I mentioned earlier with canned corn and pretty much always caught a few. I normally walked up the west side to the little point sticking up and had one rod casted north over the shallower water and one rod to the east a bit deeper. Move if you don't get any bites in an hour or so. Chumming (throw out a handful of corn where you are fishing) does help a lot for carp and I used to do it when I fished there, but it is illegal so keep that in mind. I only ever fished it for carp, but I don't see why a few bass or whatever wouldn't wander in there so it might be worth chucking a lure if you get bored.

No idea if that spot is still good since I moved into the mountains around 2014 and haven't fished it since, but it's probably worth a shot.
>>
File: 712x9wFqvgL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (143 KB, 1500x1128)
143 KB
143 KB JPG
Ordered a Kastking Spartacus. The reel looked solid first glance. Trying to free fall my lure (20g) to the ground it wont fall even with all the breaks and reel tension all the way open. There is some resistente/tension every half turn of the spool that wont let it freefall. Casting is pretty much impossible. Uneven retrieve because of the resistence every half turn of the spool.

Never going to buy chinkshit again.
>>
>>2070627
ESL?
>>
Any of you eat pickerel? Are they any good?
>>
File: millenials.png (309 KB, 1214x829)
309 KB
309 KB PNG
I thought this guy was the Bob Ross of fishing. Millennials can't do anything without complaining on the internet.
>>
>>2070703
Did somebody force you to read that dude's blog post grandpa? Why don't you go post your e-celeb gossip on reddit and stop shitting up the fishing thread, you whiney faggot.
>>
Anyone fish with leeches? How do you harvest them without becoming bait yourself?
>>
>>2070703
i like that guys writeup, nice to see some people still feel things and arent turned to stone cold killers like most people these days
>>
>>2070787
I prefer the wolly bugger
>>
>>2070789
Matt's a good guy. I am happy to see people posting here about him. He wants to keep a consistent upload schedule, but doesn't want to upload a bunch of shit videos, and doesn't want to click bait. He's somewhat rare in the fishing scene of YTers. I just wish YouTube would die already and a better platform could take it's place.
>>
>>2070848
Fuck off matt
>>
>>2070627
Kastking isn't chinkshit, it's an american company started by college students from New York that just basically does online only instead of normal brick and mortal sales. If the reel sucks, the reel sucks but chinkshit is exclusively ghost branded clones sold by importers that don't care about quality control and if one of their fly by night brands gets a bad reputation they just close it and start up under another one.
>>
>>2070703
This is why most creators build up a backlog library when the fishing is good to last them through the hard times. It's also a trade off of being an independent video maker, you get all the creative control but also all the risk when things don't turn out good.
>>
File: sad pete.jpg (25 KB, 480x257)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>2069020
>>2068985
>>2069029
>>
>>2070857
I wish I was Matt so I could say fuck off back, but I'm the SUPYak Poorfag. I like you Skid, so that stung a little.
>>
>>2070848
>but doesn't want to upload a bunch of shit videos, and doesn't want to click bait. He's somewhat rare in the fishing scene of YTers.

Mate he is not rare at all in fishing youtube, there is literally 100's of down to earth fishing channels. Just watch something other than Googan Squad and wannabe Googan Squad vloggers
>>
>>2070787
Chicken livers in a pail with some holes punched (not cut or drilled, punched) in the side. With the sharp lip around the hole caused by punching, they'll swim in, but not out.
>>
>>2070703
Man, I'm sorry he feels this way. YouTube's a stressful platform, and if he's not enjoying the fishing trips then fishing certainly loses its appeal entirely. I don't think he needs these insane catches for people to watch though, but I don't doubt those videos do better.
>>
>>2070893
EPF does that in the winter where he'll film in Florida for a week then edit and release videos over the next few months
>>
>>2070857
So much unwarranted agression. Somebody has a crush~
>>
>>2070848
>>2070857
>>2071021
I thought it was funny because self-shilling seems like something Matt would do
>>
I think its going to be trout fishing mayhem tomorrow in NJ. They normally do this elaborate week by week stocking scheduling with different sizes and dates per body of water. This year they said fuck it and have just dumped the entire hatchery stock in this past few weeks and now they have bumped the daily limit to 6 to 4.
>>
>>2071170
God I am happy I live somewhere where stocking rushes do not exist because there are loads of rivers and lakes that have trout all year.
>>
>>2071173
While I wish we took better care of the environment in the northeast so the brook trout population was still in it's historical levels it's nice to have the variety of fish in the water here. I watch fishing videos from the pacific northwest and it seems kinda boring with so much trout and salmon.
>>
>>2071194
I live in the rockies, and you're not wrong about the lack of variety. In the PNW, though, they got it all. Plenty of warmwater species like bass, walleye, and panfish, plus mountain stream trout fishing, plus searun trout and salmon in the rivers, plus ocean fishing for salmon, lingcod, halibut, and rockfish.
>>
>>2070703
I don't think he's complaining, merely talking about his situation.
>>
>>2070375
Usually comes with a slightly slicker more water resistant design too
>>
>>2070857
Ever see matt's wide? Looks just like him.
>>
There are only two (2) fishing youtubers worth watching. Tackle Advisors and Trout Magnet Man.
>>
>>2070388
Catskill flies tend to be better suited for gentler waters since they have less floating material. They also normally have a clear space behind the eye to accommodate the turle knot which is a very interesting knot. I'm pretty sure it has one of the highest breaking strengths and it doesn't leave any bulk in front of the hook eye. So the theoretic "most natural" dry fly presentation would be done with a turle knot and a catskill fly.
>>
>>2071341
Tackle Advisors is a cool concept but they don't explain the fundamentals so when they are doing the tear downs I have no idea what they are talking about or why its significant.
>>
Caught five 1 pounders and this 2.4 pounder today. My honey hole didn't have any big ones today, surprisingly.
>>
>>2071505
just flipping that jig?
>>
>>2071508
Yup, fished lava butte wash here in Las Vegas if you want to google what that looks like. It's the closest thing to a river here in Vegas. Was flipping a 1/4 finesse jig into eddies upstream, let it slowly drift down stream on slack line, then slowly reeling up and popping. Pop = instant bite.

Kinda sucks because none of my friends have caught a 1+ pounder here and I catch big ones (for Vegas) constantly.
>>
>>2068973
I'm likely never going fishing again which will make a lot of people on here very happy.
>>
>>2071519
Good
>>
File: IMG_20210407_155707_416.jpg (134 KB, 1440x1440)
134 KB
134 KB JPG
>>2071524
Should I just neck myself then?
>>
>>2070889
kastking is 100% chinkshit sorry youve been led to believe otherwise https://youtu.be/H8BvpC3Ld18
>>
>>2070627
Had similar symptoms with a curado about a decade ago. The spindle attaching the spool to the though the tensioning knob had warped or gotten bent. Dollar to donuts if you check that part its bent/misaligned.
>>
>>2071525
Tbh if every 4chan user committed an hero the world would be a better place
>>
>>2071519
Did you just get a job?
>>
File: 20210406_123050.jpg (1.7 MB, 4032x1816)
1.7 MB
1.7 MB JPG
>>2071559
Well guess you better do it.

>>2071648
Na I've been working at Publix since July 27th 2019
>>
>>2071519
You have enough time to fish in the morning you lazy piece of shit. Also is that a running app notification?
>>
>>2068973
God shes perfect
>>
Bit of a stupid question but any of y'all ever fish'n'fuck?
>>
>>2071807
I got a frontier 12 last year. It fishes more like a small jonboat than a kayak, highly recommend. But it is large and heavy so transport is a bit harder than a regular sit on top.
>>
>>2071830
???
>>
managed to get 2 bass but the lake was fucking crowded with crappie fisherman, idk what the hype is about crappie.
>>
Post trout kits

New to fly fishing, what else do I need?
>>
>>2071883
They taste good and are easy to catch. As opposed to bass, which taste mediocre and are easy to catch.
>>
File: IMG_20210410_205725.jpg (787 KB, 1736x2320)
787 KB
787 KB JPG
waiting for the ice to melt..
>>
Buzzbaits seem cool but I don't freshwater bass fish
>>
>>2071903
Where are you at? PA? Must haves for PA are mayflies, wooly buggers, parachute adams, san juan worms, grasshoppers. The trout in my local waters like coachman flies in the summer, but they don't really hit in spring. It all comes down to experimenting and asking the locals what works.
>>
>>2072903
Looks like you've got most of your bases covered for flies. Get some black, white, and olive wooly buggers, gunk, and thingamabobbers.
>>2071807
I'm not sure how, will you livestream yours so I can take notes?
>>
>>2071948
>>2071903
Oops put 2 instead 1 in the reply
>>
>Spray myself down with tick repellent
>Tuck my jeans into my socks
>Walk quarter mile through the bush to my spot
>At least 12 ticks on my legs
>Realize one is on my fucking forearm

God it's going to be a bad season here in PA
>>
>>2068973
Did she lose her top?
>>
Recommendations for a new rod please (reel to go with it too)

Currently have a Shimano Sellus 6.5ft medium fast rod and it’s caught me hundreds of fish but it’s kind of insensitive and I want something that’s gonna give me a lot better feel

I target bass and I mostly throw soft plastics on 1/16oz and 1/8oz slider heads

Thanks a lot fellow fish bros!
>>
anyone got any advice on fishing from a pier on the Great Lakes? I live pretty close to one, but is there anything I need to know?
>>
>>2072067
I assume you're throwing this on a spinning rod due to the low weights? If so, that's piss easy friend, I got you:
>Shimano Zodias (2020 model) 7 ft. Medium 3/16 - 1/2 Oz fast action
>Shimano Vanford 2500HG
If you don't like EVA foam and prefer cork, just spend a tad more and get the Expride version of the same rod by Shimano.

I own a slew of bass rods and reels that are the zenith of bass fishing tackle, and I strongly recommend to anyone that $200-$300 is the golden amount for price to performance. I have an Expride as a beater rod and it's not that much different from a Loomis Conquest/NRX or GLX, a Conquest/NRX is a 10 on the sensitivity chart, the GLX is a 8.5, the Expride is like. 7.5. You can't fucking tell unless you're fishing all three.
>>
>>2072067
What's your budget? For under 250USD I would recommend a Pflueger president xt and daiwa tatula or a similarly priced shimano. Medium or Medium light. I've been using the same reel for 5 years now with no issues. It's a solid and smooth reel. I've caught big bass, pike, walleye, and lake trout on it with no glitches or issues. I've only had it feel off once, after a week of fishing and travelling really dusty roads in a quad.
>>
>>2072102
Fishing gear definitely has diminishing returns. I've tried 2 of the most expensive modern fly rods and the performance gains are about 10% or less for an exceptional caster over a mid priced rod.
>>
>>2072150
I fell for the high end fly rod meme. Some guy on ebay was panic selling his fishing gear during quarantine last year, was selling a brand new 5 weight Loomis Asquith for $450, I swiped it up IMMEDIATELY without a second thought.

It's nice, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't scream "holy shit this is nice" like my Conquests and NRX's. The fly line IMO is where you should spend the most on. I got SA MPX Amplitude and my god, casting with that and the Asquith = tight loops for days.
>>
>>2069192
>>2069195
My man. Fly fishing's where it's at.
>>
>>2069318
The best explanation I found was actually from Stephen King. He had a group of boys in a circle telling stories/lies to one another, and they all silently agreed to believe each other in turn, so that every one would believe their lies when it came to be their opportunity. There are many traditions like that I have found, and fishing is one of those. Guides and experienced anglers will coach you to do the same thing, knowing it's ridiculous, but they all do it, just the same.
>>
>>2071529
Once again you are misunderstanding what chinkshit means. For example, Shakespeare will have some Walmart exclusive rod and reel that was made in China and it's not very good, not chinkshit. You find some jigheads on Wish or Alibaba under the brand LuckyDragonFishBone87 and they are actually pretty good = chinkshit.
>>
Do you guys have any material for someone who wants to get into fishing but has never done so in their lives?
>>
>>2072195
First figure out where you'll fish and the species you're targeting. Get your gear based on that. Practice your knots. Practice your casting.
>>
>>2071973
Fuck yeah man. They trying to killing us out here. Keep spreading ticket info though to keep these citidiots from NJ & NY out of our state.
>>
>>2071944
That's a lot of words for elk hair caddis flys.
>>
>>2072162
Line is for sure the most important part, I will never buy cheap line again. I gained 30ft on my cast just from a line upgrade. The asquith is one of the highest performing rods and for 450 that's the deal of the century. It's one of the rods I tested and to me it didn't seem to have the same build quality and definitely didn't have the looks compared to the competition. T&T and Winston are where its at if you want looks + performance.
>>
>>2072229
"Cityots" would be better desu fampai
>>
>>2072082
Dont obsess with casting out, the fish are usually using the side of the pier as cover, and be ready for a 30 inch drum to pick up your bait
>>2072162
>>2072150
I think $300 is the most I've paid for a fly rod and I dont think I'd be satisfied if I pay more because of diminishing returns.
"Yeah, it casts nice, but I dont think its 800 dollars nice"
>>
File: DCIM_16745.jpg (28 KB, 1564x863)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
beat lure ever.
>>
>>2072252
The only rod I plan on buying is the TFO Game Changer when it comes out. I cant really justify anything more expensive knowing what I know now.
>>
>>2072104
~$300 is like the max I would wanna spend for a rod and a reel
>>
>>2072102
Thanks bro will definitely check out that rod and reel
>>
>>2072332
RIP fish’s jaw
>>
>>2072332
Then I would go with what I recommended, You can probably step up the reel with daiwa or shimano reel near the 150$ range.
>>
File: Worlds greatest lure.jpg (67 KB, 1054x373)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
>>2072273

That's not a JRI stinger. Idk if it would work in any of your guys' fisheries, but I can't think of anything in fishing that feels better than casting an iron at a boil from the bow of a boat and hooking up to a yellowtail.
>>
File: 20210410_230157.jpg (1.2 MB, 2286x2286)
1.2 MB
1.2 MB JPG
Hey fishfags. Thanks for all the advice helping me pick gear to get out there this weekend. Had a great day that I will probably never forget and even managed to catch two fish!
>>
File: Resized_20210410_170843.jpg (727 KB, 756x1008)
727 KB
727 KB JPG
>>2072387
>>
>>2072346
no no, it's when you hold it horizontal with one hand that the fish's jaw is RIP
>>
>>2072387
>>2072392

People will bite on this. Kinda ironic how easy it is to bait in a fishing thread.
>>
>>2072386
my old good '45s and 7Xs shit on your stinger, but the stinger is the next best thing nowadays I'll give you that, salas and tady make shit surface iron now. Don't ever buy OCTs tho they're a meme
>>
>>2072400

I have one of my dad's old 45s that I'm too scared to throw and a few old 7x heavies. But after buying way too many new irons I've found them to be the most reliable swimmers, my stingers are 3 for 3 so far while only one of the 4 new 45's I bought swims well. I got a couple of the new DW1's that are all the rage, but I haven't had a chance to throw them yet.

On a related note, my trip on the San Diego was a bust yesterday. Matt said that the current totally flipped the night before and we drove around till 11 before posting up for whitefish/sculpin/sheephead, we looked again in the afternoon and found one school that bit pretty quickly before swimming off, got 2 yellows on the boat and that was it.
>>
>>2072399
Huh?
>>
>>2070478
Mate I know you want to be best of the best with your high and tight haircut, but I've been fishing for over 20 years using almost solely uni knots and have never had one fail, and thats with reeling in a 25lb stingray on a fucking beachcaster.

Uni knots are entirely adequate for all fishing purposes unless you're going after bluefun tuna.
>>
Anyone with experience in single hand spey casting?
Can spey lines be cast overhead on occasion?
>>
>>2072184
there's no real definition of chinkshit shut the duck up nerd
>>
>>2069647
Fix yourself mate
>>
>>2072583
Yeah I've used commando heads and made some Skagit heads, in a pinch you can overhead cast them.
>>
>>2069579
No. But here's the bob ross of block prints.
https://youtu.be/XiIHtFFTqxA
>>
File: 1584193056816.jpg (67 KB, 700x712)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
>>2068973
I threw my memecaster into the lake yesterday. Holy shit are they retarded. Getting a zebco 33 today. Feels good.
>>
>>2072752
Gay
>>
>>2071519
Matt do you work with Jason genova?
>>
Every time I walk into the shop, I get bombarded with advice from different guys when they see me looking at trout lures. And they all recommend something different. Last time I was recommended Rooster tails, Joe's flies, and wedding rings. Not sure who to trust.
>>
>>2071519
I thought your wife was the bread winner.
>>
Going with my buddy to the small boat rentals in capitola or Santa Cruz next week, what do you guys recommend for tackle or type of rigs to use. I would like to go for Lings or rockfish
>>
File: s-l400.jpg (33 KB, 400x300)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>went to a flea market and saw a guy with a metric shit ton of tackle
>was selling fucking $26 dollar spooltek kits for 8 dollars each or 3 for $20
Damn, I got lucky. The tackle shops everywhere sell the regular 6" spoolteks for $20 alone. Just in time for beach snook fishing later this month. I got 1 in chartreuse and 2 black back.
>>
>>2072804

For rock fishing fish a conventional with 5:1 ratio, fill it with at least 300yds of 50lb braid, the cheap 4 strand stuff is fine, tie to a swivel and put two dropper loops on 30lb mono on it with a sardine on a #2 live bait hook and squid on the bottom on a big shrimp fly hook, 8-24oz of lead on the bottom depending on depth/current. That's my go to rockfish rig and I usually get bit within 30 sec of hitting bottom if the boat is in the right position. The sardine is there for vibration and acts like a dinner bell and they usually bite the squid. I use a shrimp fly hook because it helps prevent the little 4" rockfish from getting hooked on it. Granted this is in socal and yours are probably going to be a lot shallower, but it should still work.
>>
I'm thinking about getting a fish finder. I'vve been lopoking at Lowrance. First question is difference between the GPS only model and NAV+. Do the maps make a massive difference? Is it something an app on my phone could do just as easily? It's quite a price jump.
Second is screen size. I'll be going off a kayak. I'm thinking the 7 inch screen should be good enough. Any advice?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.