[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 32 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Mississippi.jpg (16 KB, 300x202)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
Have some of you East Coast losers ever even been west of the Mississippi River?
Why are you wasting your time in the destroyed nature of the east when there's so much untouched land just waiting for you to explore out west?
>>
File: cranberryvistapa2.jpg (67 KB, 1080x810)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
I prefer the trees and forests that the east coast produces. It isn't destroyed nature at all. It is very beautiful.
>>
>>2065883
Stop molesting children DCfag.
>>
>>2065883
>It isn't destroyed nature at all
There is barely any forest that wasn't clear cut and left to erode.
>>
>>2065882
I live in Louisiana. If I want to go on a hike for several days to an iconic location with dramatic scenery, I have to travel pretty far. GSMNP is over 9 hours, Big Bend is 13, Arkansa and the southern Ozarks are about 8.

But I’m not a poor fag, I have four weeks of vacation a year, and I’m not a retard who thinks it’s a mark of pride to never take vacation, so I travel to hike a few times a year. People who live on the East Coast or West Coast aren’t in the same predicament; they can drive maybe 4 or 5 hours to a beautiful, iconic area. For example, there are like six or seven cities of 300k people that far from a National park or forest in the Sierras. If you live in California, why would you fly to the east when you could drive to the mountains in your own state? Same goes for a lot of the East.
>>
File: haha.jpg (120 KB, 333x331)
120 KB
120 KB JPG
>>2065882
>untouched land
please
>>
>>2065882
Everything west of the Mississippi is full so fuck off. If you must go west, go to commiefornia and stay there.
>>
>>2065882
Shut the fuck up you dipshit don't tell them
>>
>>2066073
literally everyone knows that there's mountains in the west, california, colorado, montana, wyoming etc. all have extremely popular, crowded /out/ locations, this is nothing new or novel

if anything, /out/ east of the miss in some places is much more off the radar of tourists (central/southern appalachia outside of gsmnp)
>>
>>2065882
OH BOY! I CAN'T WAIT TO HIKE IN BEAUTIFUL FUCKING KANSAS! THEN NEBRASKA AND IOWA.
But not the Dakotas, they have too much ugly scenery and elevation change. only corn for me thanks!
>>
>>2066082
A lot of the townies in the east have never been west or seen a mountain
>>
>>2066082
>central/southern appalachia outside of gsmn
I live here and it's suffocating to go anywhere with a view, even Linville backcountry is camping by permit only these days. The only places that feel void of people seem to be in the GSMNP backcountry.

>>2066300
Western Kansas and Nebraska actually have some geography. Western Nebraska looks more like west texas or the badlands than a corn field.

Iowa has some pretty kino river camping spots and unique hill country on the Western side of the state.
>>
>>2065883
its not destroyed...just denuded.
>>
File: westvirginia.jpg (353 KB, 800x600)
353 KB
353 KB JPG
>>2065883
>>
>>2065910
>Lives in Louisiana
ignores all that primo fishing and gator meat in the swamps, baka.
>>
>>2066548
This, buy a fucking airboat
>>
>>2065882
there's great stuff everywhere.
>>
>>2066516
So, you want me to post a picture of your shitty sprawl in Cali? That mine would fucking VANISH into your hell hole.
>>
>>2066568
the point
>It isn't destroyed nature at all
is false
>>
>>2066568
Lmao the eastie literally doesn't know about anything in the west but california
>>
>>2066588
There's that state that single handedly is fucking up our ability to own ARs.
There's the state that is so full of crazy people, that's literally the only thing I can think of to say about it,
There the two states that are largely like standing on the surface of the sun, one of them is full of whores and grass lawns in the desert, the other is ... actually pretty fucking awesome.
There the big fucking empty with great /out.
There's the big empty that smells like farts almost everywhere.
There the tranny capitol of the world slowly rotting an otherwise cool state from the center, There's the state with absolutely amazing out, but rich people camped all over it.
There's whatever the fuck idaho is.
Utah's cool, I guess. Mormons give me the willies, but I've never met one that wasn't almost uncomfortably kind and they have amazing /out/.

How'd I do? Did I miss anything you consider West?
Don't be mad at me, I have to deal with Detroit. It's punishment enough.
>>
>>2066615
Wait, you think new mexico is hot? Most of the year it's cold and windy.
>>
>>2066622
No, that's the one packed with whacadoodle white ladies with crystals talking about spirit energy.
>>
>>2066615
Are you looking forward to your 19th birthday? Mom gonna take everyone for pizza and bowling?
>>
>>2066644
That sounds pretty fun actually.
>>
>>2066640
Lol, no that's northen arizona, specifically sedona. New mexico is mostly mexicans and natives.
>>
>>2066653
Taos colored my perception of it. Is it really cold and windy though? between Arizona and Texas, I have a hard time getting my mind around that.
>>
>>2066659
Cold compared to Arizona, maybe.
>>
>>2066665
missed it by one
>>
File: new mexico.jpg (321 KB, 1326x1532)
321 KB
321 KB JPG
>>2066659
Relatively, but yeah it's windy through most of new mexico. Taos is a skitown like breckenridge. The majority of New Mexico is a few different types of desert with the west being prettier than the east. This entire region is terrible. It's just ugly bushes and natural gas wells. The panhandle of texas is very windy and has windmills for power. It's high desert so basically a flat plain grassland. I honestly like the panhandle though for the calmness.
>>
>>2066672
I drove through there from AZ to LA and I remember it being serene, but there's so damn MUCH of it. After several hours of that drive, it's almost spooky how much ground you're covering and how you're still entering texas.
>>
>>2066678
The creepiest place I've driven through is the navajo and ute reservations up into colorado on tiny two lane highways. It was just after fires in northern arizona and there was a haze over the land. It had that strange color you see from the sun when you get above 7000 feet in elevation combined with a surreal haze. The roads into new mexico led us through areas that looked absolutely martian and everything was completely scaleless because there were no plants and there were no buildings and there were no other cars. There was no sense that I was even going anywhere or that the road would ever end. And near the end of it I could see huge mesas, giant through the haze but just indistinct enough to make me question if they were real. It took us about 2 and a half hours for a change of biome and it gave me terrible anxiety that it would never end.
>>
>>2066672
>this entire region is terrible
assuming you mean the red circled area, it includes two of the best national parks in the us. yea odessa to lubbock is shit, but trans-pecos west texas is god’s country.
>>
>>2066695
Amen
Circle too big
>>
>>2066682
That sounds amazing, to be honest.
>>
>>2066550
>>2066548

I fish from a kayak. It’s pretty sweet. Launch from anywhere and be completely secluded in a pristine swamp or wetland after a 20 minute paddle. Occasionally have pleasant run-ins with coonasses (a “coonass” is a Cajun red neck; fantastic people), see birds all over the place that would make bird watchers wet themselves, spoopy alligator eyes in the twilight hours, and if I don’t catch any fish I can just buy fresh shrimp that were caught that morning from the back of a truck on the side of the road.

I travel to go hiking. Why aren’t you faggots traveling to go kayak fishing in Louisiana? Probably because we don’t allow gays outside of New Orleans.
>>
>>2066695
>two of the best national parks in the us

Yeah I don't know all the teeny tiny national parks.
>>
>>2066728
carlsbad caverns and white sands. They ARE teeny tiny, but they are both pretty cool.
>>
>>2066735
Everything around them is terrible though. Although obviously I have just driven the 40, the 10, and the 25. I've done back country highways through AZ, NM, and CO, but not TX.
>>
>>2066672
Inside that circle:
>Carlsbad Caverns NP
>White Sands NP
>Part of Big Bend NP
>Guadalupe Mtns NP
>Organ Mountains
>Sandia Mountains
>Sierra Blanca Peak
>Valley of Fires rec area
>Palo Duro Canyon

>>2066707
>Why aren’t you faggots traveling to go kayak fishing in Louisiana?
Because I can do that in places that don't have alligators swimming around everywhere
>>
>>2066707
My dad lives in sc so if I want a swamp I'll just paddle congaree on account of I'm way closer to there
>>
>>2066752
Yeah there are much better things in the 4 corners than any of those.
>>
>>2066762
Sure, but the circled region is far from terrible as suggested in that earlier post
>>
>>2066735
i was thinking of guadalupe mountains and big bend
>>
>>2066737
>Everything around them is terrible though.
right next to carlsbad caverns is guadalupe national park, and the guadalupe district of the lincoln national forest, which might be the most empty and unused forest service district in the whole lower 48.
right next to white sands is the sacramento and smokey bear districts of lincoln nf, or organ mountains national monument on the other side.
and thats without even mentioning all the blm land in the area.
>>
OMDP has probably 50+ (Atleast these are just the ones I've Done) unmarked trails to high points,caves,canyons, and depressions the only reason you don't know about them is your a cityfag
>>
>>2066786
Dude I'm from Arizona. Our national parks are like 25% of the state.
>>
>>2066766
It's like 90% horrible bro.
>>
>>2065882
It almost sounds like you want people from the crowded eastern states to make your western states more crowded. Why not just let them remain in their eastern bubbles?
>>
>>2066801
This, I fucking hate people from other states in mine. GO BACK
>>
Anywhere east of denver is a shithole that needs to be nuked. Stay out of the west, and you will gladly eat the chaff that we're sending you because we don't need them anymore. Get fucked mutants.
>>
>>2066847
Bro I love CO, my father in law and one set of grandparents are from there, but Tennessee is sick.
>>
>>2066798
Have you ever actually been to this area?
>>
>>2066737
You're stupid lol. Then do the back country highways
>>
>>2065882
i dont want to get wiped off the face of the Earth when Yellowstone goes off
>>
>>2066993
Through the worst part of texas for 8 hours at a time? No thanks. I'll stick to the good states.
>>
>>2066921
Yes and look at the fucking map. You have patches way smaller than delaware worth half a shit while Arizona, Utah, and Colorado have huge swaths. I'm not driving 16 hours to fucking Texas to see your babby mountains and mesas and tiny patches of forgivable land surrounded by ugly as shit bushes and fracking wells. It's a shithole. I can just go to kartchner caverns for a cave.
>>
>>2067015
You'll just starve to death if the volcano doesn't kill you first.

And besides, 90% of Yellowstone eruptions are pretty minor. It's kind of a meme, major asteroid impacts are more common.
>>
>>2066672
You ever actually been to New Mexico other than to visit your boyfriend in santa fe?
>>
>>2069456
Yes a ton of times and it's just if arizona sucked
>>
>>2065910
I'm in NYC. Closest national park to me is Acadia at around 8 hours. Cuyahoga is 8+ hours and the smokeys are almost 11. It's pretty similar to the distances you describe.

Don't get me wrong, i can be in the whites much more quickly, but they're not "iconic" as you say.
>>
File: 1574337261848.jpg (46 KB, 288x358)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>2065882
>Why are you wasting your time in the destroyed nature of the east when there's so much untouched land just waiting for you to
Come here and destroy it all?
>>
>>2065882
i do live out west as well but there's an absolute shitload of nature in the east, the fuck is this "destroyed" bullshit? lol
>>
>>2065965
>If you must go west, go to commiefornia and stay there.
Fucking stop with this shit, you fucks have been telling people this for the last 50 years and it's why CA is overflowing all over the rest of the damn country now.
>>
>>2071077
> It's 4chan's fault
Ok...
>>
>>2071086
Obviously not only 4chan but California didn't fuck itself up, it's the generations of idiots moving here from everywhere else that did, and now that it's finally ripping at the seams with how overfilled it is telling more people to go there is just going to make the CA refugee situation worse for every other state around it. (Not that I blame a lot of people for leaving or have a lot of sympathy for some of the states getting flooded right now, they've been using California as a rug to sweep their own liberals under for the last 50 years and now they're just getting them back.)
>>
>>2071102
Lol you can't even have an ak47
>>
>>2071109
That's the result of exactly what I'm talking about, though. California used to be a pro-gun red state until the endless tide of out of state left wing migration flipped us. All of these people moving back out and flipping the surrounding states didn't magically spring up out of nowhere in CA, most are either short-term CA residents moving back out of state or the children of people who moved to CA from other states and they or their parents didn't get their liberalism from CA, they brought it here.
>>
>>2071138
You've had jews running the entertainment industry since the 40s anon.
>>
>>2071153
The entertainment industry was nowhere near as influential back in the day as it is now. California used to be dominated by the aerospace, defense, and agricultural industries, with a substantial contribution from the automotive industry as well. The movie/TV industry is also a lot more historically conservative than you might expect, it was pretty hard right until the '60s (look into the hollywood blacklist and the hays code among other things) and even as late as the '90s and early '00s there were a lot of surprisingly conservative elements, and don't forget that some of America's biggest conservative icons came out of Hollywood. (Reagan, John Wayne, etc.)
>>
>>2066752
Louisiana swamps and bayous are so unique that it’s basically what people think of when they think of a swamp or bayou (also Florida).
>>
>>2070305
>not iconic

Notice you didn’t have to say “the White Mountains” because everyone knows exactly what you’re talking about. If Louisiana Anon said he drove to Mississippi to hike in the Homochitto, no one but his and a few of us from Mississippi would know what he’s talking about.
>>
>>2066792
The national parks are small in comparison to the national forests and otherp ublic land types, 38% of Arizona is either BLM land, state parks, national parks, or national forest (the national forests alone are about half of that total ~17,586 sq miles, ranking 7th nationally behind AK, CA, ID, MT, OR, and CO in that order). And over 50% of the state is public land of any type, equaling about the size of the entire state of florida with both land and water area included for a rough comparison.
>>
>>2071193
I have a film degree, and yes it was. In fact it was more influential. You also are defining right and left based on modern standards in which the right is now classically liberal and the left is morality police and fascist. Reagan was not actually conservative and destroyed the american farm and caused the current media oligarchy, consolidating all the media companies and destroying local media. Left and right wing politics are a fucking joke and we are heading for a global fascist state. Communism is a joke as well because it is just a corporate monopoly via legislation and violence.
>>
>>2071200
I have no idea what 'the white mountains' are
>>
>>2066682
>going to check out the ancient pueblo petroglyphs in Chaco Canyon in late january
>driving through serene desert landscapes without another person as far as the eye can see, not even power lines on this dirt road
>dirt road starts getting softer
>plowing my SUV through 16 inches of mud, afraid I'm going to spin out and get stuck
>realizing that I haven't even seen another car for hours
>praying to God that I don't get trapped in the mud, losing daylight fast as I can't go any faster than 20mph without losing traction
>finally make it to the park after like 3 hours of hell
>see cool fucking petroglyphs
>luckily there was another exit with better conditions, but I had to loop like 100 miles north through Farmington to get back to my room in Gallup.

Make sure you have a good car. Luckily the Nissan Rogue has handled everything I've thrown at her so far.
>>
>Being an East/Westfag
>Not living on the Mississippi river and equally enjoying both
I seriously hope you guys don't do this
>>
>>2071708
It's like 20 hours from the mississippi to relevant western states
>>
>>2065882
>that line
>the west
the west starts at the continental divide bruh. everything to the east is the east
>>
>>2071928
based and westpilled

I hate the cheeselakes claiming west so much
>>
>>2071761
Are you posting from the 1910’s? Every city with a population of like 200k has an airport.
>>
>>2071241
It’s ok that you’re new.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Mountains_(New_Hampshire)
>>
>>2070305
You have the Adirondacks not too far from you. Why would you even consider Cuyahoga? I was there today and it sucks. It’s right outside Cleveland.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.