[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 63 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

What are the best multi day packs for backcountry camping?

Is milsurp stuff generally good for /out/ings or are civilian brands better?
>>
>>2063451
If you're going with a vehicle, milsurp will do fine. If you go on foot, your back and joints will thank you for going civilian.
>>
>>2063451
Jesus christ, $379? You could get a fjallraven for that much
>>
File: Screenshot_24.png (98 KB, 346x496)
98 KB
98 KB PNG
>>2063451
If youre /fit/ and not a basement dweller milsurp will do fine. Imma buy this Austrian 50l bag for 12$
>>
>>2063451
I genuinely have no ability to comprehend that fuckers carry that needs more than a 30L pack with external shelter and tarp and a belt. Do people actually go out with 30+ pounds of food?
>>
>>2063521
You have no conception of pack out hunting?
>>
>>2063521
Well depends of how many days people intend to stay. More days more food/water
>>
>>2063522
I don't think 95+% of people using these giant packs are hunting.
>>
>>2063529
Are you a manlet or something? Bigger is better amigo.
>>
File: Biggest-backpack-ever.jpg (66 KB, 533x604)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
Ready to deploy 200l?
>>
>>2063529
I use one but that’s because I commandeered it for free
>>
>>2063469
It’s made by Arcteryx. The marine corps has a contract with them
>>
>>2063521
Lol wut even with my ultralight gear, if I include 4 days of food and some water, it easily hits 30-40 liters. If I exclude my camera and fishing gear too mind you. My base weight without that shit and with food and water is at ~15-18 pounds.
>>
>>2063451
top end military/hunting ones like mystery ranch, kifaru, eberlestock etc will be able to haul heavy loads and take a beating, but weight more than good civilian backpacking bags
>>
>>2063536
I personally prefer to avoid bulk.
>>
>>2063451
that pack is a meme, you don't need to waste nearly $400 on something like that.
>>
>>2063537
looks just right
>>
>>2063521
bulky gear anon. I hammock camp so while my gear doesnt weight a shitton its bulky as hell.
>>
Honestly bro unless you're rucking some crazy shit or you're fine with spending $400, just get this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CXKQGM2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
80 bucks, I regularly use it to ruck +50 pounds of weight and I haven't had any issues. And if you know how to pack a ruck, its pretty comfy
>>
>>2063451
LARP bag girl
She’s been living in a LARP bag world
>>
>>2064365
I just permanently borrowed one of these from my university’s NROTC unit for free. 9/10 great support distribution of weight.
>>
>>2064358
this looks like a nice as fuck bag for the price, thanks anon
>>
>>2063467
This
>>
>>2063517
mmoc su pederi
>>
>>2063630
That doesn't magically mean it's good. $379 is still an insane amount for a rucksack and you can guarantee they've raised that price simply because some people will buy anything that the military uses. It's like Arcteryx LEAF shit. It's not really worth the money, they just know they can artificially inflate the price to fuck. I own some expensive Arcteryx gear and it is good but the price rises exponentially for small improvements.
>>
>>2063451
I've been using a british PLCE bergen bag, you know, the kind with the rocket pouches, and it's been great. Just gotta add a sternum strap so the shoulder straps don't dig into your shoulder blades as much. Also, the webbing is great for holding tools you gotta access quickly, it's very water resistant, and with a yoke you can make the rocket packs into a day pack. Nifty thing.
>>
>>2065562
Sto to kazes? Jesu im stvari razorene i ovaj ranac je bio kurac, ali opet ima dobrih stvari jeftinije od army shopa i military shopa
>>
>>2065562
prije par godina su bili višestruko jeftiniji (britanske pantalone i smok za 20€), od tad su cijene za neke stvari utrostručene a i često ih uopšte nema, ako ti treba išta konkretno pogledati idem kod njih ovih dana, dosta su skuplji nego ranije ali bolji je i polovni vojni ranac nego kineska govna, samo treba probrati
>>
>>2066081
>>2066096
internet zasrao, odgovor za tebe
>>
>>2066096
Vrv je sve sada skuplje zbog korone vidim i patike sto su inace 3-4 soma sada su 5-6
Bio sam ja prekljuce nagledao se, al hvala
Znas neke prodavnice poput mmoc sto dostavljaju u BG? Pretezno satori, ranci i rukavice?
>>
>>2066133
Benis
>>
Speaking of stupidly expensive bags, my dad is getting serious about doing the Long Trail in Vermont this September, and I'm thinking about going with him. Are those Savotta Jaakari bags actually worth the money, or are they a Gun Jesus meme?
>>
>>2063451
milsurp is always vastly superior, and then above that are companies that sell premo gear aimed towards the military, but in general the reasons that make them good for military use doesn't nearly apply to civilians, larger rucks are for spending days or weeks in the field and are always heavier, which many civilians frown upon. chances are you won't need all that space every time you camp, but if you ever want to go for a long time and long distance, you can't beat the current systems

lastly I'd say get it anyway, even if you only do week long camps once a year, it makes bean poles seeth, which is a good enough reason to justify it on its own
>>
>>2066133
živim preko granice, vojni otpad u kneževcu ima svačega, sem toga najbolje gledati oglase van sezone
>>
File: Screenshot_329.png (1.04 MB, 699x619)
1.04 MB
1.04 MB PNG
>>2066539
>vojni otpad
Sto se ne setih...
Hvala brt
>>
>>2063517
that looks very decent and super cheap, but they're already out in Poland, I doubdt our burger fed, freedom fries eating friends can put their sausage fingers on one.
Plus, all European milsurp costs five times the price.
>>
>>2063451
K-2 Antarctic in New Zealand make quality expedition and hunting packs. Another one is Cactus Outdoor. They have an array of decent packs up to 80L, i think.
>>
File: 1589852841527.png (941 KB, 621x546)
941 KB
941 KB PNG
>>2063451
I got myself a Fjällräven Kajka. A bit expensive but honestly it does everything I could want from it so I'm satisfied.

Milsurp could either mean
>serious stuff that can handle rough circumstances and beign used in a hurry
or
>cheap shit that was made for supplying tens of thousands of soldiers quickly
so it depends
>>
>>2063630
*US taxpayer
>>
File: 31432-1.jpg (668 KB, 1000x1000)
668 KB
668 KB JPG
pouches are importand. you also could strap a second backpack to the main pack.
>>
>>2066378
Thru-hikers would like to have a word with you.
>>
>>2067257
Show me one milsurp item that wasn't made to last.
Some are very simple to cheapen production, most are on the heavy side, but all are made to last.
>>
>>2067206
It is a great pack but it wasnt decent at all in this store. They advertised it as grade II surplus but it was way more like III, very damaged. If it was grade I i assume it would be 24-36$. Still ~30$ is a great pack for a durable 50L backpack
>>
I like the aether 70, and before you autists get on me I balanced it out before I took it /out/
>>
>>2066378
Dude stop larping as an expert milsurp is rarely better than civy open market
>>
>>2067946
Seconded I have the same but orange

It digs into my hips a little but I think that's just because I started off the hike running
>>
File: 20210406_195827.jpg (1.12 MB, 2560x1440)
1.12 MB
1.12 MB JPG
>>2066253
The long trail is excellent, you should definitely go. I did 20 miles of it some years ago. I used a generic cabellas backpack, and it served me well. Be prepared for lots of steep uphill and some tight spots.
>>
>>2067263
The marine corps has a contract with the US taxpayer?
>>
>>2066569
bio sam juče, vreće za spavanje 4€ i 2€ za podmetače, samo obrati pažnju na rajsferšlus
>>
>>2068918
Ima li porcija, ranceva ili prsluka? To super cena
>>
>>2063451
Entierly depends. Civilians vs mil is a chicken and the egg at time. Starts off by mil having mediocre gear, so guys start using civilian gear, it becomes a trend and civilian gear becomes militarized, e.g. camo, some extra functions, buttplug, etc.
If you're looking for milsurp, try to check if its used by any active Recce guys. They tend to walk far, and brands will some times make gear for them to test out and use.
>>
>>2063521
>tent
>sleeping bag
>sleeping pad
>extra wool layer
>field rations, ideally 3 per day
>stove
>fuel
>kettle
>e-tool

Just a few things that go into my rucksack.
>>
>>2069060
samo transportne torbe i kevlsrski šljemovi, ako ti treba borbeni prsluk ostavi neki jednokratni mejl da se javim kad budem opet u gradu
>>
>>2067960
not him, but for me the benefit of milsurp is the price range. i can usually find used but good or even perfect condition gear from the local military for a fraction of the price even used civilian models would go for.
only downside is, that i dislike looking like a military larper but the return on invest considering the low prices even that out easily for me
>>
>>2063517
Austrian soldier here.
Best backpack in the world. Will carry one tomorrow starting at 6am and stopping whenever I'm done.
Can only recommend
>>
File: savotta-jaaka-l-12.jpg (905 KB, 2000x1700)
905 KB
905 KB JPG
The answer is Savotta.
>>
granite gear crown 2 60L

don't listen to any other answer
>>
File: LK35Sweden.jpg (72 KB, 1000x667)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
>>2063451
Swedish Lk-35.
>>
File: DSCN0372.jpg (1.47 MB, 2376x1637)
1.47 MB
1.47 MB JPG
>>2066253
enjoy mine, but its pretty expensive
>>
i dont even know what to look for in a backpack
what makes it good or bad?
>>
>>2065662
/out/ pretends it behaves like the military tho
>>
>>2063521
Liters =/= Weight.
A lot of cheaper/ budget / beginners gear is quite bulky. As well winter gear takes up even more room. Like here in Germany last weekend temperatures dropped again below 0C. To go camping in that temp with a cheap sleeping bag means a big af sleeping bag.
>>
File: 1528695517893.jpg (83 KB, 449x738)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
Got an Alps Commander X on the way, how badly did I fuck up?
>>
Mil guy here. I've used the FILBE pack pictured by OP extensively. It can be adjusted well to be comfortable, but the material of the pack is very durable and thick, so it adds some weight. It can also be adjusted to be obscenely big, probably more than a regular backpacker would need. It's basically a modern take on a bergen.
TLDR: Not a lightweight pack, but big and bombproof.
>>
>>2070127
>350$
i'm more a "buy two or three times, cry two or three times" type of guy
>>
>>2063451
ILBEs are great but they are also heavy.
>>
>>2063630
>Arcteryx
Nah they aren't, only designed.
>>
>>2071260
design is probably outsourced as well, it's all marketing
>>
>>2067296
I don't think you'll find much that wasn't made to last, but you will find some terrible designs in the milsurp catalogue.
>>
>>2063517
it's even better to be /fit/ and also carry a proper pack
>>
>>2063467
agreed
10years of military, got out, started hunting in spots I needed to pack into, splurged on an exo k3, 100lbs of deer and gear with the k3 is more comfortable and feels less fatigueing than 70lbs ever was with my issued ruck.

for the record, I am a poorfag, I just live super cheap so I can save up and buy expensive as fuck gear and go on awesome adventures in the bush.
>>
>>2071397
forgot to add, my weight for a week of hunting is fairly light going in, my skin-out weight is under 50lbs for weather that drops to -5°c at night, that includes rifle. If I am bow hunting it is under 45lbs. It is the trip home that sucks balls.
>>
>>2063451
You will hate yourself for buying anything with a plastic frame.
>>
>>2071290
yes, that is true
>>
>>2071310
Mil gear is designed to be proper for soldiers who do ruck marches for entire days. The people designing the backpack take all consideration when making them. The only thing civilian can be better at is comfortableness so Mr and Mrs Richy Rich complain less when they hike, dont be like them
>>
>>2071575
i'm not a soldier
>The only thing civilian can be better at is comfortableness
yes please
>>
File: mountainhardwareamg75.png (408 KB, 400x649)
408 KB
408 KB PNG
Mountain Hardware AMG 55/75/105
>>
https://youtu.be/-tQvaEn8O4Q
>>
>>2071282
>it's all marketing
Bro, it was a govt contract. ILBE are only available on the surplus market.
>>
>>2071397
>I am a poorfag, I just live super cheap so I can save up and buy expensive as fuck gear and go on awesome adventures in the bush.
Fucking based as shit and doing it right, broheim.
>>
>>2066378
>milsurp is always vastly superior,
post pics from your latest outing or kys
>>
File: IMG_20201001_120139_4.jpg (414 KB, 1325x982)
414 KB
414 KB JPG
For me it's the MLD burn (or the ULA CDT)
>>
>>2071597
Queer
>>
>>2069083
>civilian gear becomes militarized
nah
>>
>>2071575
>I don’t need to be comfortable
Why do you own a bed?
>>
>>2071575
>Mil gear is designed to be proper for soldiers who do ruck marches for entire days.
That’s exactly what civilian gear is designed for. Military gear is designed for war. You just happen to match with it and it works out ok, like commuting to work in an H1.
>>
>>2070614
A good support system for one. Make sure that weight is distributed to your hips or you’re gonna have a bad time.
>>
>>2070614
>fit
How it physically fits on your body. Some packs just aren’t a good match. You really won’t know until you try it. Look at pants. The size on the label might be what you always wear, but the crotch might be too high, the waist too low, to tight around the thighs, etc. You might know your torso length and like everything about a certain model but for some reason it just doesn’t fit your body or doesn’t feel right.

>suites your specific needs
If your using it for anything other than recreational backpacking, you might need a technical pack (a pack designed around a specific purpose). Otherwise, you’ll have to decide on things like compartmentalizations and roll top vs top lid.

>weight
Pretty important. You also need to know a packs maximum carrying capacity. Lighter packs generally can’t carry very heavy loads, but in current year your load shouldn’t be very heavy.

>ventilation
How well your back can breathe with a pack in it. Very important in warmer/how climates like the the Deep South, but still somewhat important everywhere. Osprey started using trapeze suspensions and slightly curved packs like 8 years ago and very few have caught up.

>amenities
These are the little options that make trips more enjoyable. They’re not absolute necessities per se, but I use them constantly. Things like hip belt pockets, shoulder strap pockets, hydration blaster sleeves, big stretchy back pouches (sometimes called kangaroo pockets), ice axe loops... little things that make a good pack into a great pack.

>things to avoid
Overbuilt material. You don’t need 1,000d fabric and 2” reinforced polyester grosgrain molle webbing for recreational backpacking. It will only weigh you down. Bottom sleeping bag compartments are pointless. Panel loaders are for traveling and a pain in the ass to dig around in during the day. Some packs are still made with compression straps over the side pockets, rendering one or the other useless.
>>
>>2072636
When youre in town/at home yes. But the whole point of going to nature is to "rought it out" (the term exists for a reason). Camping itself is done by civilians (especially urban) for the purpose of staying in tune with nature and being capable of living in a wild environment. The pretty landscape views are nice but if you go /out/ for that sole purpose alone, and are not female...im sorry youre gay.
>>2072640
>Mil gear is designed for war
War is mostly hiking through the woods. Civilian gear is the same except with lighter materials and more padding cause urban civilians are malnourished aids ridden sodomites. SAD!
>>
>>2073493
>Osprey... slightly curved packs...
wow very nice. i wonder how the weight is distributed, and if that leads to pressure points where the weight is concentrated, or what. it seems like a good idea because the small of your back gets hot as fuck.
>>
>>2073707
Name one war fought in a woodland environment this century.
>>
>>2073707
>...the whole point of going to nature is to "rought it out" (the term exists for a reason).
who decided that?
>>
>>2073781
They market their "anti-gravity" technology which distributes the weight using elastic mesh that contours to your back and hips.
Look at the Atmos model
>>
>>2074386
Vietnam war? Mostly jungle and deltas ?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Ardennes on top of that, albeit not a "war" just one battle ..
That ok?
>>
>>2065662
LEAF garments are demonstrably better than vanilla Arc'Teryx garments. The fabric blends and construction is vastly better, they use the new MIL Gore-Tex which has better ripstop than PRO, and the garments are all made in Canada and batch tested. It's quite literally the pinnacle of outdoor equipment.
>>
>>2070460
Based. Too bad the one I got is beat to shit. That looks nice.
>>
This thing was my home for thousands of miles and two deployments. They are nearly indestructible. The hip pad will start to tear at the fabric after a few hundred miles. But that’s it. I’ve had a few straps snap or a buckle break but the repair kit is solid.

That being said, I would never pay this much. It’s grossly overweight with all the MOLLE, zippers, thick ass fabric, interior/exterior compartments, and dumb thick plastic frame that weighs maybe half that of an ALICE frame. The design of this thing was not for hiking hundreds of miles but to endure being transported in and outside of vehicles. They can be thrown around and stacked and treated like shit. No problem. But they are not meant to be comfortable. You find yourself leaning forward and kicking it higher on your back every 400m when things get heavy because it just doesn’t sit perfect. It slides and moves and if you cinch everything tight, it just feels wrong. Get a real backpack, that is lighter, cheaper, and doesn’t need to be treated like shit.
>>
File: 1617891098132m.jpg (132 KB, 905x1024)
132 KB
132 KB JPG
Are High Sierra packs decent?
>>
I have similar to pic related. Should I bother fixing it?
>>
>>2075836
classic
>>
>>2075620
not him, but you do understand the 21st century is on since a couple of years right?
>>
>>2063451
Obviously
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nM6wfjuirE
>>
>>2075620
>quoting wars from a million years ago
Do you know what century we're in? Nobody is hiking for days on end through woodland to a battle in current year.
>>
>>2075956
You're no Steve Climber, but Steve Climber is!
>>
>>2063451
Some good cheap bags here
https://mistymountainsupply.com/shop/field-gear/backpacksrucksacks

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.