[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 35 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

New board added: /xs/ - Extreme Sports

New board added: /pw/ - Professional Wrestling

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Questions that don't deserve their own thread
Norman Rockwell Edition
>>
>>2024845
What ARE eggs?
>>
File: 0004179800225_0_A1C1_1200.png (783 KB, 1200x1200)
783 KB
783 KB PNG
just posted this in the other qtddtot
I want to bring pickled vegetables out on a week long trip, would it be okay to put them in a ziploc? what are other good options? i feel like the jar would add unnecessary weight
>>
>>2024854
Something to put into your pocket
>>
>>2024854
Female gamete cell.
>>
>>2024859
>the jar would add unnecessary weight
It would. And it's garbage you'll have to carry out. I suspect that pickled veg won't last a week in a ziploc but it would depend on the veg. I'd test it beforehand. Just leave it on your counter for a week and you'll know soon enough. I can see cabbage and asparagus going rank pretty fast, other veg might last longer.

However, pickeled veg is itself heavy. If you're carrying the food on your back you want dehydrated.
>>
>>2024881
thank you, great advice
im doing 103km but canoeing most of the way
only portaging about 7 km of it
maybe I should reconsider the jar
>>
>>2024859
depends how long, if just for the day yeah for a week, unless its cool probably not.
>>
>>2024881
dehydrated is the way to go!
>>
I need to take 2 fucking pairs of pants for proper hikes
I'm not out of shape, but I sweat a fuckton if I do anything and it sucks so much ass to sit around in camp in wet pants
I have good cargo pants for hiking, but what would be a good lightweight camp pant?
has to be somewhat warm too because if it's windy or cold or some shit
>>
>>2024845
How do you do your first over night hike. I'm from Northern California and it seems like all the land is private property and public lands don't seem to allow camping. Is there a resource for planning a short trip? I'd like to turn this into a monthly outting.
>>
>>2024917
Sweat pants. Easy on and off, use as pajamas if it gets cold, light but sturdy for trail walk or fighting ninjas.
>>
What a good pair of rubber boots? I just want good value they don't need to be the best. Just for walking around in the slush of spring
>>
>>2025137
honestly anything just go to bass pro and pick up any pair
xtratuf is pretty classic
>>
How do I find informatioun about where and when cargo trains departure from and where they go to inside europe/the EU?
>>
>>2025140
Get a job you bum
>>
>>2024917
cabela's used to sell a heavy duty wind pant thing that was really nice for a 2nd pair of pants. Depending on the weather a pair of basketball shorts or synthetic zipoffs?

>>2024919
BLM land is all public if there's some in your area.
>>
Does anyone else look for good places to bury bodies while out? Not that I plan on doing it, I just always check out little side trails and abandoned forest roads, and a lot of them would be perfect for burying a body, mafia style. Whenever I hear about someone who murder their roommate or whatever, then just showed the body in a ditch or dumpster or something, I wonder if they’ve ever even heard of a forest.
Also seems like a great place to hide a buttload of stuff someone else might be looking for.
>>
>>2025366
You should still go to jail for posting something so stupid
>>
>>2025258
>t. the eternal jew
>>
>>2024859
if you go with ziploc you should double or triple bag it in case of a leak
>>
>>2025648
Jews will make a pretty penny when you get pushed off the train and lose your legs
>>
>>2024919
>northern california
jesus have you never even looked at a map of your area? never seen all the national parks and national forest? not even counting blm or others
>>
>>2024919
What do you mean by “public lands”?

Places designated as national or state parks will each have their own rules regarding camping. Generally speaking, if they do allow camping it’s in designated sites and you have to pay or have a permit.

Areas that are under the supervision of National Forest Service (NF) or Bureau of Land Management (BLM, way before Black Lives Matter was a thing) have much more relaxed rules. Generally speaking you’re allowed to camp anywhere, as long as your 100’ from the nearest trail or body of water. That specific rule varies between areas and isn’t really enforced anyway, but it’s a good one to follow because camping right on the trail is for assholes.

The best sources for finding places are local Facebook groups. That will point you to the more popular areas. If you’re just starting out, it’s a safer bet, as more popular areas will have easier to follow trails. From there you can Google the suggestions you get. Best Trails and AllTrails are ok as well.
>>
>>2024859
If you ferment your own stuff, it would probably survive at room temp in a bag. You'd need to make sure you still include enough brine to cover it and get all the air out you can. Slowly submerging a mostly closed bag in a bowl of water will get the most out.
>>
>>2025258
What? I already have a job I enjoy doing but that doesn't stop me from toying with the idea of trainhopping. Any constructive feedback maybe?
>>
>>2025684
Get a job you bum
>>
>>2025744
What? I already have a job I enjoy doing but that doesn't stop me from toying with the idea of trainhopping.
>>
File: fag.jpg (10 KB, 134x134)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>2025751
LARP elsewhere
>>
File: don.png (156 KB, 550x368)
156 KB
156 KB PNG
>>2025753
>>
File: file.png (74 KB, 801x347)
74 KB
74 KB PNG
Any advice on these fucks? Looking at some cascades work for the summer and it looks very promising, but americorps just sounds rough
>>
Is plastic recycling a meme?
>>
>>2025770
Why do you talk like a retard?
>>
File: 1611859917964.jpg (48 KB, 680x678)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>>2025772
Because I am retard
>>
>>2025753
>LARP elsewhere
he said, unknowing that /out/ is the largest LARPboard in the whole internet
>>
how do i stop the tube for my water bladder from freezing? im thinking of just keeping it empty until i need to drink but thats a pain in the ass
>>
>>2024859
you could repackage it in a nalgene instead? an 8 oz nalgene would be lighter and shatter resistant compared to a glass jar

the only problem is it would permanently make your nalgene smell like pickles, so you would have a dedicated pickles nalgene
>>
is it a bad idea to hunt squirrels with a shotgun with an 18.5 inch barrel?
>>
>>2026072
I reccomend a .22 rifle
>>
>>2026101
>>2026072
A Bow with Small Game Arrows would be best to get the perfect pelts if you're going for the sets
>>
File: G9tvqnr.png (208 KB, 964x771)
208 KB
208 KB PNG
Has anyone here ever gone from a career of wagecucking to a life of farming? I'm thinking of dropping out of my degree to buy myself some land, but the prices seem insane unless you want less than 1 hectare of land. All I really want to do is sit on a farm, do manual labour, sell anything I don't need and live of the land. I've had farmer friends and I've been offered a summer job of working on a vineyard to get experience. Has anyone here made the jump and does anyone have any advice on how to do it?
>>
I'm making this trip for a travel job
Which route should I take? I'm only really considering the top or bottom routes.
>Top
Medicine Bow
Rocky Mointain NP
Flatirons
>Bottom
Aches NP
Canyonlands NP
Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP
>>
>>2026363
Also considering winter conditions since I'll be making this trip soon
>>
Give me the comfiest motherfucking sleeping bag recommendations. I'm talkin slam it on the dirt, crawl in and sleep like a baby comfy
>>
I'm interested in hammock camping but I don't want to leave my dog behind. Normally I bring a tent and she stays in there with me. I don't want to leave her out in the open but I don't think it'd be comfortable sharing a hammock all night with a 60lbs dog. Any advice here? Are hammocks incompatible with dogs?
>>
>>2026225
You can't run away from yourself
>>
>>2026363
i would take the southern one personally and because most of the things to see are at lower elevations and might not be as frozen. but winter conditions will be fucked either way, you have multiple ranges to cross with high passes. i hope you have chains or 4x4
>>
>>2026225
If you're in Australia get on the 2nd year visa program and get backpackers for the grunt work.
>>
>>2026372
If they insist on sleeping with you, yes. Otherwise they can sleep under you, sharing your tarp. Dutchware sells a thing called the Pup Tent (see pic). Keeps them out of the rain and bugs.
>>
>>2026440
I drive a 4x4 thankfully. I've been able to manage pretty well driving the Oregon Cascades this season so I should be fine
>>
>>2024845
I would pet her tortoise and sharpen her hatchet, if you know what I mean
>>
Any tips for being /innajungle/ in central America?
What kind of boots are best for the dry season?
How bad are mosquitos during the dry season?
How bad are the snakes really?
Is filtering water enough or do I need to worry about viruses?
>>
>>2026385
Yes I can.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.