[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 51 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now being accepted for the next ~72 hours. Apply here.

New board added: /xs/ - Extreme Sports

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Have any of you lived the van life or done research on the matter? I’m in the midst of delving into this but like to hear some realistic experiences or valid questions raised on its feasibility
>>
File: DSC08170.jpg (412 KB, 2048x1366)
412 KB
412 KB JPG
>>2024769
Fake Instagram marketing bullshit. Real van life is living out of truck stops and pissing in bottles. Gets old after a month or two
>>
>>2024770
>Fake Instagram marketing bullshit.

This, dude. Just watch the videos of people doing it. I haven’t seen any that don’t strike me as 20 year olds with more money than sense just pretending to be “roughing it” and romanticizing the shit out of something that probably sucks ass.

It’s just an extension of the plague of thots who pretend to enjoy the outdoors just to take a picture of their ass at sunset.
>>
>>2024769
Bro you have been convinced to be homeless by “online influencers”. You IQ must be <60
>>
>>2024769
your nostrils will be filled with damp and you will never have a truly comfortable shit, or have any basic facilities for that matter. your life will be entirely different, probably for the worse
>>
>>2024769
>hey guys, #vanlyfe, lol

>yeah, it’s fucking bullshit
I’m glad to see /out/ is healing from the damage inflicted by the lockdowns.
>>
>>2024769
Its for mentally damaged people to flee a cave of never ending pain.
#citylive
>>
>>2024769
Never really lived in my truck but I did spend weeks on end travelling and living out of the bed. It is okay as a method to travel and hike and camp around different areas. In terms of living full time as many other anons said, it gets old fast. Comfort level lasts a week or two before it gets annoying.

One anon said it's mostly sleeping at truck stops and pissing in bottles its pretty accurate.
>>
>>2024769
finally get rid of the fucking skater fags so we can get back to the CAN'T INTO CATALOG fags
>>2023461
>>2023461
>>
>>2024903

>>2005706
And this one also counts. Damn, ppl are fucking lazy.
>>
I posted this in the other vanlife threads and I'll post it again, because it appears you autistic faggots don't read.

DO NOT INVEST IN A VAN TO LIVE OUT OF, it is retarded and a waste of money. A vehicle is a depreciating asset BUY LAND INSTEAD.
>>
I did it for two years. It’s cold, lonely, and every daily task requires 5 more steps. You’ll spend a lot of time at Walmart. It’s not all women and Instagram shots. I’d never do it again
>>
>>2024913
2 yrs for me also. Except I spent every Monday at a girlfriend's house for shower and roof. Every Friday and Saturday in Super 8's across the country cuz I was a touring musician. And even with shelter 3 nights a week it was shitty and undesirable without a trust fund. I was in a minivan btw. No standing up.
>>
>>2024930
>>2024913
I did it for about half a year and the rain and cold is ultimately what did me in. The sound of rain against your metal roof is not comforting. Sounds like atom bombs going off
>>
>>2024909
This
For the price of a decent van that will last you 10 years you could be a fuckin acre
>>
>>2024769
Worth it in to you're somewhere like Australia with good climate year round, cheap vehicles and cheap/no insurance.
But the point of vanlife is basically so you can camp out at that surfing or rock climbing Spot the night before to save you driving a few hours in the early morning.
If you don't have an /out/ hobby to keep you out of the van most of the day you will go nuts.
They're not big enough to really hang around in unless you're a manlet or a 4'11" chick.

Don't even bother if you're over 6ft tall.
>>
>>2024769
realistic expectations:
1) Car Wreck
>>
>>2025387
Or your battery dies while you're in the middle of nowhere. And then your transmission starts dying when you're running out of money and have no other shelter options.
>>
>>2025413
Then you move to phase 2 of the master plan
>>
>>2024909
i know youre a retarded frog poster but most people can buy a van for like 2k-6k and live out of it, removing any rent costs they have. property costs far fucking more if you dont live in some no jobs backwater economically depressed hellhole. vanlife is a perfect way for young people to go experience nature across the country and not get saddled down with oppressive financial obligations that require you to overwork yourself to death.
>>
>>2025385
>he doesnt have a poptop van
>>
>>2025436
Lol okay. Have fun sleeping in a fan, pooping at McDonalds and showering at gyms faggot. Don't let me know how it turns out cause I really don't care.
>>
>>2025442
>t. bitter indentured servant
>>
>>2025551
>t.boomer
>>
>>2025436
>vanlife is a perfect way for young people to go experience nature across the country and not get saddled down with oppressive financial obligations

So what happens when those "young people" get older nad have no credit history, no stable job or savings and try get a house or try to retire.

My mum fell in love with an old muscian hippy who lived the hippy life of not having a job and busking to earn a living and he basically got to retirement age with no money, savings etc and was basically fucked. If my mum hadnt have bought the house they lived in he would essentially be homeless in his mid 60s with no money to his name.

you've got to think ahead, its all well and good wanting to live and exprience life but what happens when you reach your 30s and can only get mcjobs.
>>
>>2024769
It's good if you're doing seasonal work.
I met a couple people doing this when I was backpacking in Australia. I envied them.
>>
>>2026036
>no credit history
Kill yourself you slave mentality master worshipping sack of flesh. You are a man without dignity.

Not even a van faggot. Rather die than think twice about my credit score.
>>
>>2026036
>One guy I know lived hand to mouth until he turned 60
>Therefore you shouldn't have fun in you 20
You need to rethink your life choices.
>>
>>2026036
This is your brain on wage slavery
>>
>>2026322
Or reality. Tons of hippie boomer trash have zero savings. Lots of sad cases
>>
>>2026322
And yet you are a wageslave. Keep smoking your drugs 24/7 while dreaming of living in a tin can in the Walmart parking lot while you continue wageslaving
>>
File: DSCF5402.jpg (93 KB, 1000x1000)
93 KB
93 KB JPG
>>2024769
I van life for long road tripping/ camping/ service road exporing. Its fun for a while. People who think its fun full time haven't done it for any extended period of time.

For posterity

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=astrosafariguy
>>
i was thinking about buying suv for car camping. i have 4 months of paid vacation every year but my salary is not great but average in my country. i was thinking to use that viechle for travelung and sleeping around my country for relativly less money. like take lot of food in car and water and camp around. my longest campung was 3 days 2 nights sleeping. basicly i want tomget overlanding viachle in wich i can sleep if i dont have good place for my tent. i have already shited in wood and i have rivers and seat to wash during my trips since i live at beach and u have lot of rivers in my country. i always camp close to water so i can wash myself daily. does big suv or van make camping better? i have already house and bunch of land in the mountain... is overlanding viachle too expensive can i just buy some 4x4 suv with low gears and use it for it?
>>
>>2026036
If you're under 40 and ever thing you're "retiring" I have a bridge to sell you.
>>
>>2026036
>GUISE you gotta think of your GOY score!
>You gotta work hard to satisfy Mr. Noseberg Shekelstein!
>>
>>2025436
You’re such a demoralized wageslave that you literally can only think in terms of rent. That poster advised you to BUY land, and your immediate NPC script is “muh rent”.
>>
>>2026397
Get a Chev tahoe. Still short enough to get decent performance overland, but also large enough to sleep in the back confortably. A suburban would be roomier but you're getting into a long wheelbase
>>
I have seen bums live in a dumbster for 20 years...
isnt a van with clean water kitchen oven shower fridge interweb food tv security an upgrade? i dont get this shilling.
i mean these vanlife guys just dont like nigger infested ant hives with politicans that hate you all. simple as.
>>
>>2026228
>>2026233
>t. clueless zum zums
>>
>>2026584
If you want to live in a dumpster then go ahead and we will continue to laugh that you value your life at zero
>>
It ain't some dream life like Instagram would say. But it ain't some shitty existence. If you know what you're doing and picked the right van. It could honestly be the key to being able to buy house/land whilst living out the dream.

Instagram has hyped it to shit, so in areas where van life makes sense, the prices for optimal vans almost outweigh the financial benefit that would come along living in one. I remember the price of a simple Vanagon being at a solid 7k-10k back in like 2015. Now they're 10k-30k and even 50k. (Seattle prices)

These kids are going out, spending more than their lives savings on a van with a 60-year-old air-cooled engine because someone on the internet said they could save rent money. Expect with a Vanagon you won't because of maintenance the return on investment will be in roughly 2-3 years.
>>
Everyone freaking out over a van is really missing the bigger picture. It doesn't have to be a choice between land or van. You can easily do both, at the same time, or one after the other. Having a van enables a lot of cool experiences, and land is obviously a good investment. Just do both.
>>
>>2026612
Yeah, it's weird how if I post my daily driver van people immediately assume I've sold my house and all my possessions for some reason. It's a comfortable place to sleep and stores more gear than a car enabling you to go further and stay out longer.
>>
>>2024769
this thread again?
>>
>>2026612
Or you could buy a house and a van
>>
>>2026612
>just do both
lol spotted the trustafarian
>>
>>2026036
>no credit history
why the fuck would you ever want to be in debt?>no stable job
stable jobs are a myth left over from the 80s. nowadays you get fired when you turn 40 and replaced with a 16yo or a Filipino. No such thing as permanent full-time employment anymore, because employers know that you're not eligible for benefits and fair work rights if you're only part-time casual.
>or savings
most people are struggling on 2 jobs.
>>
>>2026767
cunt you can get a good condition used van on Gumtree or Facebook buy&sell for $3k
>>
>>2026783
im not a mindless sheep drone like you and deleted facebook years ago
>>
>>2026782
lol imagine having a “job” and not a career that makes you more valuable over time.
>>
>>2026782
Bigger I'm 34 have a career making 6 figures and also have 800+ credit score....wtf are you talking about
>>
>>2026782
Your life must really suck if you think this experience is average.
>>
Shitting in a bucket with sawdust does not sound fun.
>>
>>2026228
That's just irresponsible.
Consider the fact you hate banks and debt because it's a game the rich created to keep themselves rich.
Learn the rules of the game and use the same exploits they do then you're better off in life instead of pretending to refuse to play the game- because it's impossible not to. The price is auto baked into everything you purchase with the assumption of debt. You're only cheating yourself unless you learn to aptly leverage low interest debt into high percentage profits.

Unless you're just impulsive and don't know how to not swipe a card, or take on stupid interest for no reason. Then you're probably better off just paying cash for everything and remain in your fantasy world.

But if you honestly think renting until you've saved 300k in cash for a home is better than a 2.75% interest rate over 30 years, when you could have gone into index funds and grew your money at 7% (netting a 4.25% gain, equal to over 14k) while paying off the house, over that same time, you're beyond saving. This isn't even including that your home's value is probably appreciating as well.
That's why you need to understand credit score.

>>2026782
>most people
Translated:
>everyone in my same shitty friend circle and echo chamber online
Get out more bro
>>
>>2026397
a big suv like a Land Cruiser is not much better than a small suv like a 4runner, in that you can comfortably sleep in both and carry gear

I would not even consider a crossover like a Rav4 as they are too small and not durable

I would rather have a 4x4 suv than a small 2wd van like a Astro in USA or Hiace, but a real van like a Sprinter is really nice for camping
>>
>>2026795
craigslist has done to shit since they require 5$ per car posting
Facebook marketplace is all you got now
>>
>>2026584
It’s funny the fact that /out/ of all anons want to die peacefully at the age of 95 in a mansion
>muh credit
>what about when your 60 dude?
>taking a shit is uncomfortable
Lmao this place got pozzed too
>>
>>2027161
>Hurrdurr I like living in a dumpster you are an idiot for having a nice home
>>
>>2026552
there are no those cars in croatia, i am thinking about buying mitsubishi pajero, or jeep cheeroke, or grand cheeroke. those are only 4x4 i can buy in Croatia for lest then 10000€. all pickups are too expensive here. my salary now is 1000$ per month so next year inwill have enough for suv. thank younfornyour advice
>>
>>2027118
thanks for advice, i will go probably for pahero or cherokee or grand cherokee because they are cheapest here ofroaders in Croatia everithing else is too expensive and tonrare for parts. i want something biger than rav4 i am 193cm tall i need some space lol. thanks once again
>>
The only real vanlifer is foresty forest. The rest can suck dicks.
>>
>>2027697

Based. I've really enjoyed him building the new van, it does feel a bit like he has more space than he can know what to do with it lel
>>
File: 20201230_115820.jpg (2.4 MB, 4032x1816)
2.4 MB
2.4 MB JPG
I find having an overall goal that motivates living on the road helps.
In my case, it was to go diving along the east coast of Australia.

I had a short stint as an interstate truckie so I have some experience and a bit of a network on places to stay and where to eat good food on a budget. But food didnt really factor in too much, since I have a routine where Id go fishing in the afternoon and be cooking by sunset. A fishing license for the year costs $70
Anytime fitness membership cost roughly $300 or so a year, and that was mainly to stay fit and free showers.

My car was a 1999 Mitsubishi challenger I bought for $3000.
Which I added only the basics like a rescue kit, two fridges a spare battery and a few cabinets, overall costing me under $1k

I had passive income during my travels though, from staking and trading cryptos, to rental property and doing odd jobs like forklift driving if I really liked a particular spot and wanted to dive there for a month or two.
>>
Honestly better to either camp outdoors or get put up in a cheap motel
>>
>>2024769
So vanlife is the new out hate target? It used to be train hoppers. What about doing it in stints, like a month road trip once year?
>>
>>2024787
I have a growing suspicion some of these van life youtube channels are promoted by the algorithm as a form of propaganda because the next generation is not going to own anything and will be forced into shit situations as such

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.