[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1613942416996.png (281 KB, 599x599)
281 KB
281 KB PNG
Bear Grylls might want to rethink his beverage of choice. According to findings presented today at a prominent microbiology conference in Boston, the common myth that urine is sterile is flat-out wrong.

After evaluating urine samples from 90 women using a cutting-edge DNA-based detection method, the researchers determined that women with overactive bladders have detrimental bacteria in their urine—and that everyone's pee contains some bacteria.

"While traditional urine cultures have been the gold standard to identify urine disorders in the past, they do not detect most bacteria and have limited utility as a result," Paul Schreckenberger, the head of Loyola's clinical microbiology laboratory, said of the detection technique.

https://www.beargrylls.com
https://www.gerbergear.com
>>
>>2024550
I’m a hospital biologist who does urine cultures and this article is full of shit. I do around 100 urine cultures a day. Urine is sterile in meaningful sense of the word. The issue are collection contaminants, especially for women. We have natural bacterial flora. Hyper sensitive tests like PCR will pick up a single organism. Its not diagnostically relevant.
>>
>>2024550
>women
I don't have a slimy filth cave to infect my pure masculine urine.
>>
>>2024554
Hey Mr. "Hospital Biologist" drinking urine was your survivalist backup plan, we’ve got some bad news. The rumor that your pee is sterile is, well, a rumor.
>>
>>2024592
Based
No homo
>>
>>2024550
>women
It's not like their urine passes next to the bat cave mushrooms plantation on the way out or anything.
>women with overactive bladders
The overactive bladder should be a hint that something isn't quite right, no?
>>
drink pee eat poo
poo in geocache
save it for later
this is the /out/ way
>>
>>2024554
most bacteria cannot be cultured in a lab. your growth media is insufficient to allow most bacteria to grow
PCR can detect more than 1 organism if it is followed with DNA sequencing
clinical lab science is always a few years behind, in this case about 25
>>
>>2024889
Christ imagine being this stupid.

>>2024620
I meant microbiologist but yes your urine is sterile unless you have UTI or STD.
>>
>>2024929
>Christ imagine being this stupid.
Imagine not being able to refute a comment, so all you can do is call the poster stupid
>>
>>2024550
Good thing I’m not a woman with an overactive bladder
>>
>>2024933
Why would I discuss laboratory science with someone who obviously doesn’t know anything about it? I bet you don’t even know what a maconkey agar is, retard
>>
>>2024945
>maconkey agar
I know what it is and what it is commonly used for. I like it better than EMB
I also know that culture based methods can only grow a tiny fraction of the bacteria that exist. Some of these unculturables can cause disease
I also know that PCR based methods to identify unculturable microbes have been in use for decades
It seems like your knowledge is a bit behind the times, which is probably fine for clinical lab science. Someone will come update you when you have to be trained on a new machine
>>
>>2024888
dem poop cairns
>>
>>2025004
>tiny fraction of bacteria that exist

Nigga 90% of UTIs are just women with E. coli. Its not like we need to culture bacteria that require speciality media like legionella or yersinia. Just because some retard researcher who is desperately chasing grant money realized that women are incapable of doing a mid stream clean catch isn’t some huge revelation. My lab policy is to ignore anything less than 10 CFU/mL because of this. Christ what a fucking retard
>>
>>2024550
Moot point. By the time you consider drinking your own urine, you are usually too dehydrated to produce it.
>>
>>2024550
>urine samples from 90 women
There’s your problem. Females are filthy and vile creatures. Man urine is clean and sterile cuz we are gods.
>>
>>2025450
>By the time you consider drinking your own urine
Speak for yourself pussy.
>>
>>2024550
nothing you eat or drink is sterile
>>
>>2025118
>>2025004
Cannot comprehend what you fuckers are talking about, need answers, can I or can I not safely drink my own piss? If it slips past the petri dish, does that mean there's not enough of it to fuck me up?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.