[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Is being Bear Aware a LARP or are Grizzly and Brown Bears really this big of a problem?

What about Mountain Lions and Black Bears?

I've never really been anywhere that had anything but the occasional black bear.
>>
>>2024136
make sure to tell the bear
>but this is statistically unlikely!
while it's eating your intestines
>>
>>2024136
>is being responsible for your own safety larp
I hate how this word is being used nowadays
>>
>>2024136
According to the posters in missing 411 thread you'll just "fall and die from (insert mechanical injury, aneurysm, etc)" and then get eaten. So I wouldn't worry about it.
>>
>>2024136
>Are they dangerous
Yes
>Should you be worried if you see one up close
Probably
>Do you need to hike in constant fear
No

It really depends where you are. There are some places that require somebody in your party to have a large enough firearm to be /out/ because of how many people get fucked by bears, but that's not the case for most of the world.
>>
>>2024162
Bears are omnivorous opportunistic eaters, dead or alive.
>>
>>2024164
>require somebody in your party to have a large enough firearm to be /out/
Or at least a can of bear spray. Pretty sure I read somewhere that the spray has lower percentage of maulings compared to firearms.
>>
make noise, talk, if alone talk to yourself, bears will usually fuck off. Ive been within 15 feet of a black bear plenty of times and none of them seemed to give 2 shits that I was there. Grizzlys don't want to have anything to do with you.
Think of black bears like strange dogs, 99% of the time it's harmless but you don't really know what it is going to do.
Just don't spook any bear and you should be fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsCqmotxyME

>What about Mountain Lions
those fuckers are scary but pretty cowardly, they will attack from behind or pounce from above. they will flee if you fight back but not before taking a chunk out of you
>>
>>2024172
You read wrong.
https://www.ammoland.com/2020/03/update-handgun-or-pistol-against-bear-attack-93-cases-97-effective/#axzz6Ims0apg7
Seen more than enough videos of spray failing.
>>
>>2024172
its because spray goes in a wide cone and will get everything including you. you have to be able to hit your target with a firearm which can be hard with 300lbs of teeth, claws and rage charging at you
>>
>>2024181
>300 pounds
Kinda small. Male black bears can get over 600 pretty easy
>>
>>2024192
it's momma bear you gotta worry about
>>
>>2024181
One time I retardedly tested bear spray by spraying it in a random direction. Did not realize that I sprayed it against the wind and it flew back into the face of my gf and I. It was pretty dispersed when it got us but we were still coughing a bit.
>>
>>2024176
>Seen more than enough videos of spray failing.
Operator Error.
https://www.cleverhiker.com/blog/does-bear-spray-really-work

>Studies show bear spray is 90% successful when used to deter bear attacks, versus 76% for long guns and 84% for handguns.
A tool is only as good as the person using it. I personally carry both, I said in another thread and I'll say it again. Using Bear spray inside a tent is not a good idea. I carry bear spray mainly on the trail and so people in my group have something when they go to use the bathroom. I kinda built a habit out of this because the NPS only legalized firearms in parks a few years ago.
>>
>>2024192
>Male black bears can get over 600 pretty easy
600+ lb black bears are kinda rare, the biggest one ever killed in the US was 880 lb.

https://www.bear-ology.org/BearFacts-Largest.aspx

Who would ever think the coast of North Carolina was the hot spot for gigantic black bears?
>>
>>2024211
They are fed.
>>
>>2024213
Basedbean fields.

Boone and Crockett verified quite a few from that area and that's all skull measurements.
>>
>>2024214
>Basedbean fields.
I lol'd
>>
>>2024162
salty
>>
>>2024176
>ammoland.com
They didn’t take a random period of attacks or examine all attacks. They literally cherry picked incidents with the outcome they wanted and present it as evidence. You should seriously be ashamed of yourself for falling for obvious propaganda.

I’m pro-gun, but this is just misleading and kind of dangerous.
>>
>>2024195
I once saw a momma bear with two cubs get scared and take off into the woods, leaving her cubs behind.
>>
>>2024233
Degenerate. What was the bears race?
>>
File: 0708181306g.jpg (3.48 MB, 3264x1836)
3.48 MB
3.48 MB JPG
>>2024136
Black Lives Matter
>>
>>2024136
>Grizzly and Brown Bears really this big of a problem?
>What about Mountain Lions and Black Bears?

Of those 4, I wouldn't worry about black bears. If I'm walking in lion, grizzly or brown bear areas I'm sure as fucking going to have bear spray with me and a large stick. But I sure as fuck wouldn't spend every second looking over my shoulder and worrying about it.
>>
>>2024236
you already know
>>
>>2024136
When I go /out/ should I bring a cum sock or will that attract bears? Should I just spread my seed anywhere?
>>
>>2024209
>I personally carry both
This, I don't understand why the spray vs gun shit has become a zero sum game.
>>
>>2024214
>>2024215
>Basedbean
Took me forever to figure out what this was. Kek.
>>
Are you in Montana, Wyoming or Alaska (I expect Western Canadian anons to already know whats up)? OK then its a legit concern. Bring something like a 10mm or +P .45ACP, whatever exact kind it is doesn't matter just what you're comfortable with. The hot item is a Glock 20, that's what people who live in these areas generally opt for.

Are you outside Montana, Wyoming or Alaska? OK then spray is fine. Spray is actually probably overkill for most of you but whatever if it makes you feel better fine. You still have two-legged predators so if you want to bring your 9mm or whatever its not a bad idea.
>>
>>2024373
>Should I just spread my seed anywhere?
God specifically told you not to do that.
>>
>>2024136
I am sure its just a meme.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW668E21_h0
>>
>>2024136
Its just a bear he wants to hug you thats it. Put your dyke in honey and bears will love you.
>>
>>2024328
If you killed that bear for no reason, please go fuck yourself faggot.
>>
>>2024493
>You still have two-legged predators
Sasquatch?
>>
>>2024493
You ever run into any fucks on the trail? I'm kinda just getting into out and considering threats
>>
>>2024932
I've met my fair share of weirdos on the trail, better safe than sorry.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.syracuse.com/us-news/2019/05/man-named-sovereign-arrested-in-brutal-murder-of-appalachian-trail-hiker.html%3foutputType=amp
>>
>>2024947
I've actually backpacked a lot in that area. I've ran into people on the AT who looked homeless and totally out of their element.

One guy I ran into looked like he was evading the law. Mainly because he had blue jeans, a jansport book bag full of caned food and a walkie talkie which he seemed to be actively listening to. At first I thought he was part of a trail crew but I actually ran into a park ranger who also seemed curious what someone like that was doing out there. This was roughly 3 or 4 years before that murder took place.

I really have no idea what makes people want to hike the AT, it's so crowded that it hardly feels like you're in the wild. Some of the shelters will have 40 or 50 people on a weekday night.
>>
>>2024932
>>2024947
>>2025122
On another more thread related note, They had to close a big part of the AT near that area because black bears were actively stealing food from shelters while they were occupied. I think they had to close it down two summers in a row because AT hikers are totally retarded when it comes to food storage.
>>
>>2024901
I wouldnt do that, too much meat waste and we're called to be good stewards of our resources. It had been tearing up our garden, ruined our entire carrot bed. One evening it had acted aggressively towards my wife, even after she shot up in the air. So next time I saw it I popped him. He fed us for many a meal, and i canned the not so good cuts with BBQ sauce and it makes a good sandwich spread with mayo. Black bears are pretty tasty if they havent been eating garbage or fish.
>>
>>2024136
>What about Mountain Lions
Literal pussies, they won't attack you if you can see them unless they are retarded or starving. Most people who get murked by mountain lions are bicyclists who pass by them going fast enough to trigger the pursuit instinct, like a trolled spinnerbait getting hit by a pike.
>and Black Bears?
Figurative pussies. Unless cubs are involved or they attack you in your sleeping bag, these shits are afraid of you. Cub scouts have killed them with rocks and sticks. Don't go to bed smelling delicious in a place where the bears are habituated to people and you'll be fine.
>>2024498
God struck down Onan for spilling his seed specifically because Onan was legally required to create an heir for his dead brother with his dead brother's shrew wife. And it wasn't masturbation, it was pulling out and giving her a facial.

Jews and Christians used the story of Onan to tell boys to go have sex instead of jerking off because they preferred grandchildren and forced marriages to incel sons, rather than because there was any valid and specific scriptural prohibition of masturbation in the text. Feminism has changed that preference, but that was probably a mistake.
>>
>>2024328
>>2025175
What state was this?
>>
>>2025227
>Most people who get murked by mountain lions are bicyclists who pass by them going fast enough to trigger the pursuit instinct, like a trolled spinnerbait getting hit by a pike.
There are so few mountain lion attacks that you could literally name the number of people this has happened to. 125 attacks (27 fatalities) have been recorded in the last 100 years.
>>
>>2025227
Mountain lions also have a long history of preying on children. I forget where it was but I remember reading years ago where they found a kids body 30 feet up a tree after they went missing.
>>
>>2025307
https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-01-21/3-year-old-recovering-after-mountain-lion-attack

Maybe it was this
>>
>>2025227
Based and theologian-pilled.
>>
>>2024164
>It really depends where you are. There are some places that require somebody in your party to have a large enough firearm to be /out/ because of how many people get fucked by bears, but that's not the case for most of the world.

*laughs in NW Montanan*
>>
>>2025307
>long history
>125 total attacks over a century
>>
>>2024373
I need to know if my cum will attract bears. This is important.
>>
>>2025412
That isn't a huge amount but that's still more than 1 attack per year desu.
>>
>>2024373
>>2025414
Needs to be buried at least 6" deep and 100 yards away from all water sources and tents.
>>
>>2024136
Don’t be afraid of bears, we’re fluffy and we’d much rather eat berries and fish than you
>>
Mountain kitties can be more of a issue because they aren't scared of you just wanting to avoid unnecessary confrontation. Even black bears can a issue but they just run off in my experience.
If you're concerned, gun.
>>
>>2024928
please do not hurt any squatches you see!
>>
>>2025300
Alaska
>>
>>2025414
Depends. Are you a power bottom or more of a twink versatile?
>>
>>2025175
where did you meet your wife?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.