[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

I recently came to realize how powerful of an influence California had on backpacking gear. It’s kind of astonishing.

Hiking exploded in popularity during the 1999’s. Another explosion: California’s population. The memes about that states’ parks and wilderness areas being crowded are true. Today, there are about six (6) cities in California with populations 300k that are just a few hours from popular outdoor areas.

It’s mostly California’s climate that influenced gear. The state goes through a predictable drought/rainy season cycle. As such, the gear people use reflects this. Carrying a ccf pad (or anything, really) on the outside of a pack makes sense when it’s probably not going to rain for a few months. Canister stoves are required in areas that are wilderness tinderboxes, but the rest of the country might be served better with other options. Just the other day a coworker was talking about hiking and said “cotton kills.” Maybe this time of year, but not generally, at least where I am.
>>
>>2020872
Seething internal frame cuck
>>
>>2020872
Fuck California.
>>
>>2020872
External Frames are way more comfy and let you carry more stuff noob.
They're not some new invention, I use my aunt's external frame backpack from the 70s with no issues.
>>
>>2020879
Internal frames for hiking were popularized in the early 90’s after Ray Jardine (famous for kicking off ultralight backpacking, also a native of California) published the PCT Hikers Guide. Prior to that, internal frames where technical packs (for climbing).

So internal frames are a product of the California influence.
>>
>>2020872
good observations anon, you're right that california regulations is probably the reason alcohol stoves never became popular in america compared to canister stoves

I think the CCF foam thing might be more about technology, inflatables just weren't that good back then, and how else are you going to carry a CCF pad?
>>
>>2020891
See: >>2020892
also I didn’t mention external or internal frames.
>>
>>2020872
Literally no worthwhile gear manufacturer is based in CA or uses CA in their advertising.
>>
>>2020895
>how else are you going to carry a CCF pad?
In a waterproof bag, which you almost never see. It’s not the CCF pad itself, it’s that it’s never covered because, at least on the west coast, the chance of rain in peak hiking season is super slim.

But yeah, alcohol stoves are only used by non-NPC’s, Eurobro’s, and people who aren’t so autistic that they consider short boil times a necessity.
>>
>>2020872
Noce blog post faggot. Get back to us after you tried the whipsnake.
>>
>>2020898
>Patagonia isn’t worthwhile
Poorfag detected
>>
>>2020906
>but muh trendy puffy vests!
>>
>>2020872
>wear cotton base layer in the cold
>sweat
>doesn't wick
>freezes

ya lol california dum
>>
>>2020907
yes, they're trendy
that's exactly the point OP has been making
>>
>>2020897
You were literally mentioning that people carrying things on the outside of their pack (like you do with an EXTERNAL frame) is a product of Californians.
>>
>>2020912
>wearing synthetics in the SE outside of winter
>feels like a plastic bag
>doesn’t breathe at all
>smells like dog shit
>gets heat exhaustion
>has a stroke
Hey, at least it wasn’t hypothermia, amiright?
>>
>>2020915
Patagonia today exclusively puts form over function.
>>
>>2020917
>...when it’s probably not going to rain for a few months

Stop visiting this site to act like a hostile child; it’s inhibiting your ability to understand what’s plainly written.
>>
>>2020918
what point do you think you're making here?
>>
>>2020919
Their top tier gear is pretty fantastic, but that’s not the point, like, at all.
>>
>>2020923
Point?
>>
>>2020872
the original california nature boy
>>
>>2020924
>top teir
>Patagonia
Go on about their chinkshit.
>>
>>2020923
You’ve been influenced by California, and I don’t think I can convince you that alternative gear choices can make sense sometimes. You’ve already been brainwashed.

>cotton doesn’t wick
It does this extremely well, but again, not the point.
>>
>>2020905
>>2020885
>>2020879
Is this the same person? Did a few people wander over from /pol/? OP makes an interesting observation (and he’s probably right lol) and you respond with blind anger.
>>
>>2020952
As a Californian, I can assure you that “fuck California” is a sentiment shared by ~75% of the US.
>>
File: 1609823077318.jpg (60 KB, 1024x645)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
>>2020919
and that's why normalfags buy patagucci.
Do you think they would have as much influence on other gear designers if they were unpopular?
>>
What is the point of this thread besides some drugged out schizo rambling about nonsense
>>
>>2020961
Well the text of the OP is a copypasta that pops up in backpacking threads. As for what hes arguing no idea. He seems upset that people dont put covers on their foam sleeping pads.
>>
>>2020961
You’re right. A knife thread or a “I’m gonna live off grid” thread died for this. Such a tragedy.
>>
>>2020962
>this is a copypasta
No it isn’t
>I don’t even see what the issue is
Lost another one, brainwashed by the California Influence
>people dont put covers on their foam sleeping pads.
Are you one of them? Why don’t you cover your ccf pad, Anon? Is it because no one else covers theirs? Do you only hike when the absence of rain is guaranteed?
>>
>>2020872
Peak aesthetics desu.
Much better than the plastic garbage we see everywhere these days.
>>
>>2020872
Cotton kills isn't some nu /out/ term. It's s shitty base layer in pretty much any humid climate.
>>
>>2020872
Currently trapped behind enemy lines in cali.
a) fuck california
b) the nature gud tho. shame about the people.
the ppl here aren't /out/ at all. just step out of the car to grab some pics for the gram. idk what they'd influence exactly.
>>
>>2021023
same anon. honestly i can't convey the amount of streetclothes, jeans, short shorts, tennis shoes etc i see here. even on no shit trails. the rei is never busy
>>
>>2021023
>>2021027
kek, whenever I go to JT I constantly see cars pulled over on the main road for photoshoots
>>
>>2021032
Saw this all over the place when I visited Zion. It really is picturesque, and the memes about it being crowded are very true.

I wore cotton the entire time because it’s a desert. It was a good choice. I’m from Georgia, so I wouldn’t do that in fall, but late summer in Zion? Yeah, pretty comfy.
>>
>>2020879
Lol
>>
>>2020922
I was hostile WHERE?
You're the one slinging names friendo
>>
can you still join the ccc if your already 25? does it cut off at 25 or say can you join if youre 25 and a half
>>
is it ok to bump the thread like on >>>/b/?
>>
>>2021027
>>2021023
Anaheim here, got any spot recommendations? I love JT but don't always wanna drive that far.
>>
All Califags are cancer and I pray that shitheap of a state falls into the ocean. San Andreas fault needs to quit blue balling us already
>>
>>2020952
Though the OP does make points, it still involves Cali, which requires a fuck you to them.
>>
>>2020872
>Carrying a ccf pad (or anything, really) on the outside of a pack
Yep, people’s retarded insistence on doing this comes directly from Hollywood.
No doubt it’s fine there, but pretty bad idea anywhere else. Rope, crampons, ice axes, tent poles, fuel bottle ok.
Anything else, not ok.
t. Kiwi
>>
>>2020952
Most of this website never for a moment stops thinking about California. Their entire lives revolve around staying perpetually mad about California's existence.
Ohio, before anyone tries to accuse me of being a butthurt Califag.
>>
>>2021262
>sta ding up for California
You sicken me.
>>
>>2021217
sry anon i had to go into work. if you're still here most/much of the angeles burnt down this summer but Mt San Jacinto/ state park/ Idyllwild is one of my favorite "close" places. you can backpack right outside the wilderness area no permit and there is this great high elev meadow marshy area with streams.
33.45'41"N 116.39'56"W. camp thereabouts along the stream!
>>
>>2021217
same anon; chino hills state park also burnt down and kinda sucked anyway but the santiago peak area is closer to you, looks legit but i have no experience there since i'm a pasadena fag.
>>
i cannot wait for the day the san andreas fault holocausts the shithole of california
>>
When I travel, I always visit the local graveyards. Whenever I see a CA birthplace on a tombstone, I spit on the grave
>>
>>2021491
Thanks!

>>2021492
I remember going to Chino Hills SP a few months before it burned and texting some friends that the place was a fucking tinderbox. Guess I was right.
>>
I would be willing to wager that OP spends more time in online outdoors forums than being /out/ and that if he went /out/ in his local region regularly he would, in fact, find that people are doing the most sensible and practicable things adapted to their specific region through trial and error and passed on historical knowledge. Furthermore, I posit that the so called “California influence” is merely a superficial one of media manufacturing; a simulacra of the /out/ lifestyle and not the genuine article in any real sense.
>>
>>2021680
>I posit that the so called “California influence” is merely a superficial one of media manufacturing; a simulacra of the /out/ lifestyle and not the genuine article in any real sense.
factually correct and applicable to society as a whole
>>
>>2021680
>OP spends more time in online outdoors forums than being /out/
Anyone claiming otherwise is LARPing; I can visit a forum every day, but would be legitimately homeless if I spent that much time outdoors.

For several years I ran a MeetUp group of about 120 people, which later morphed into a FB group, then absorbed other FB groups. I passed the torch to another person, and I’m still active with the group, but I just enjoy solo trips more now.

As someone who regularly did nothing but group hikes roughly three times a month over three years, I can say you’re absolutely wrong, and local conditions don’t play nearly as big of a role in gear selection as advertising power and other trends.
>>
>>2021696
Interesting perspective, were they mostly newbies? Did the oldfags teach the newbs better and they adapted? Surely, one bad experience with the wrong gear is all it would take to correct someone’s gear selection, or even the polite correction by an experienced camper. I don’t deny marketing has an initial impact, I mean, I know it isn’t worthless.
>>
>>2021680
Simulacra is the plural version of simulacrum.

You’re implying that the media representation of something doesn’t influence people’s decisions, Edward Bernard was wrong, and the entire reality of the past 100 years is actually not what we experienced.
>>
>>2021702
Sorta, see above
>>2021700
Where I clarify. I believe the plural is correct as well as I’m more or less referring to a great many simulacrums part and parcel of a diverse and eclectic hobby such as /out/ and referencing the general thread wherein people are saying the “California influence” is far flung, diverse, and everywhere all at once. Also, I’m more or less basing it off of Baudrillard conceptions.
>>
>>2020940
You didn't make that point at all. And most cotton products absorb. You're an idiot
>>
>>2020968
>Wool is california brainwashing

Keys retard
>>
>>2021700
Mixed bag. A good example that fits the entire milieu is rain gear. We’re in the SE. Late spring through summer is hot, with scattered rain moving in from the Gulf of Mexico. Basically, over a large area (let’s say a small town), there’s a 100% chance every day but a 30% chance you’ll get wet. The thing is, the rain doesn’t bring cooler temps. You get wet and it stays hot.

The single most popular piece of rain gear people bring: a jacket. Think about. Stays hot, bring a jacket. What kind of sense does that make?

Some people with a lot of experience still do it. They just consider it a part of the experience. If it rains, you have to choose between being extra hot or being rained on. Most people go that route regardless of experience.

Now, there are alternatives to rain jackets that excel in those conditions, specifically an umbrella (or poncho if it’s slightly cooler). But people are so overwhelmed by the California Influence that the alternatives are brushed off, and sometimes, ironically, they’re labeled as trendy newfag garbage (GoLite introduced the Chrome Dome in like 1999).
>>
>>2021706
Bro, the definition of “wick” is literally “to absorb or draw off liquid via capillary action.” Cotton does this extremely well, so well in fact that it doesn’t dry quickly outside of a desert.

But again, how well or how bad Cotton works isn’t the point.
>>
>>2021710
Ponchos are popular everywhere.
>>
>>2021707
No one said anything about wool. Are you just tossing things into the mix to try to prove you’re a free thinking, autonomous individual? It’s not working.
>>
>>2021713
Bro, the point is to minimize the moisture you're carrying. If you actually went outside somewhere besides the southeast you'd realize how stupid you sound. If you go out in the cold, cotton base layers can be a genuine issue
>>
>>2021714
Ponchos aren’t as popular as jackets, unless we’re talking about tourists in disposable plastic ones.
>>
>>2021715
I'm tossing things in the mix to show that your assertions about cotton are through a narrow, delusional and obsessive lens
>>
>>2021713
This guy has clearly never gone for a run in the heat
>>
>>2021716
Holy shit, you’re like 80% of the way there.
>if you went out anywhere other than the Southeast
The people I see are in the Southeast
>the cold
Specifically mentioned warm weather.

Anyway, I’m talking about one region (California) influencing other regions (the SE as an example) to the detriment of people who don’t know any better.

Where in the entire thread did I say Cotton was a good choice outside of my local area? It’s a terrible choice in California, no doubt.
>>
>>2021720
You implied cotton kills is from the "California Influence". It's not. You didn't realize this because you have limited experience. You're like 10% of the way there. Have a good day, dumb fuck.
>>
>>2021718
>narrow lens
The US is made up of like a dozen microclimates. If you’re not looking at the gear you use through a narrow lens to fit the specific area you’ll be in then you’re lost to the California Influence.
>>
>>2021723
That's all I do. Been /out/ in all of them. People by and large adjust to specifics. Synthetics and wool are superior in the vast majority of situations
>>
>>2021710
I take your point based on your personal experiences, although, I might quibble that a simple water proof wind breaker (if that’s what we’re talking about) really can be traced back to the “California influence” I realize that this may digress into pedantic semantics but it just seems to me that these pieces of clothing are pretty useful in a lot of places outside of CA. Honestly, I might even argue that they would be appropriate in every region BUT the sub tropic summers of the SE.
>>
>>2021724
>People by and large adjust to specifics.
No, they don’t. See: >>2021696
>>
>>2021724
>Been /out/ in all of them
>>
man you people are nuts, arguing over the most insignifigant minutiae. go outside and take a breath of fresh air holy fuck
>>
>>2021726
right, I understand that your neighbors are retards who are susceptible to the California Influence, and it made you seethe hard enough to post this mini manifesto and defend it for multiple days
>>
>>2021728
>mfw I’m outside getting fresh air and just stirring the pot to watch the autists fight
>>
>>2021727
okay, only like the vast majority of them
>>
>>2021728
Didn't you just do the same thing?
>>
Glad this got bumped up. (OP) is kind of an asshole but it’s an interesting point. I’ve seen it as well, especially in anti-hammock posts. Like some guy from Pennsylvania will say you can’t use a hammock above tree line. Meanwhile there’s no place that he’s ever been that’s above tree line and the ground in his entire state is a rock strewn mess, so why would he argue so adamantly against a better alternative? His stance is literally against his own best interest. The only explanation is brainwashing, schizophrenia, or drugs.

Also, fuck California (obligatory).
>>
>>2021262
>Ohio
You're just the California of the Midwest.
>>
>>2021211
the board is slow enough that it isn't needed
bumping here signals to others that you are new to the board
>>
>>2021734
i am commenting on your argument im not part of it
>>
>>2020872
Thank god for California. Its the economic engine of the country and its makes polTards seethe. Its a beautiful thing.
>>
>>2021763
Califag here, it’s a shithole and not even an engine anymore, we’re back to taking more federal aid than tax dollars we generate. Also, every town has Brazilian tier favelas because “woke” white neolib NIMBYs can’t in2 city planning. CA policy is literally the worst of left and right wing policies combined into an unholy mix of corporate globohomo faggotry and is fueled by baseless speculation on land and tech and hard money foreigners ass raping our property values to 10-20x national averages. It’s literally cheaper to buy a home in the notoriously expensive Irish real estate market.
>>
>>2021792
youre massively exxagerating
>>
>>2021793
Another Califag here
More like he's massively underexaggerating.
We'll were at it, this state can't even properly handle their homeless issue.
>>
>>2021792
>not even an engine anymore
Its the 6th largest economy in the World.
>every town has Brazilian tier favelas
Not a factual statement
>>
>>2021792
Hyperbole like this is why people think PolTards are retards.
>>
>>2021792
>taking more federal aid than tax dollars
Its the 9th least Federally dependent state.
>>
>>2021798
With a massive amount of debt it can hardly cope with. No doubt this state is extraordinarily blessed with many natural resources and inherit advantages, but if you think it’s been well managed and made the most of to make it an “economic engine” you’re deluding yourself. It’s so disgustingly inefficient it’s all but nerfed it’s own advantages. We haven’t even gotten halfway thru paying for a high speed rail that we’ll never have. And don’t get me wrong I realize that both sides of the political spectrum are to blame for this. I WANTED the high speed rail. I WANT good public infrastructure but this state is so stupidly incompetent they’ll never do anything except allow creeping urban sprawl and virtue signaling with solar panels on top of every roof of every paved over subdivision. Yuk!
>>
>>2021792
>>2021797
this

Fucking homeless encampment .25 miles down the street from my grandmothers nice residential neighborhood (600K house) because the faggot city just lets them run rampant.

There is a reason everyone who doesn't already own a house wants to GTFO California, or move up north at least.
>>
>>2021807
>high speed rail

kek, didn't they opt to build this to somewhere no one even wants to go? I can't remember the city, but I remember people not being interested in the destination city
>>
>>2021803
That may be true but it doesn’t really debunk my statement.
>>2021800
I am not a /pol/tard, but rather a very blackpilled progressive and conservationist. It’s fucking over dude. My family goes back in this state since before statehood. I’ve lived here my whole life and traveled up and down it for work. It’s fucked outside of some pretty state and national parks.
>>
>>2021812
Well the first leg was Bakersfield to Fresno but they were supposed to flesh it out throughout the San Joaquin Valley up to Merced and make that old rail city the hub that would then take you through Stockton to Sacramento or over to the Bay so that the whole valley could kinda bedroom for Silicon Valley
>>
>>2021810
There’s a few all over my hometown. Rural, supposed to be far away from City squalor. Had to hear a homeless schizo having a bad morning hollering all down downtown this morning while I was at a farmer’s market. Neat!
>>
>>2021257
Agreed, always seen that and wondered how their roll would keep dry. This observation about california and movies makes sense, dry climate and stuff can be outside. Cant really do that here, it can be hot and dry at the bottom of the tararuas, and a rainstorm on top haha
>>
>>2021720
>Where in the entire thread did I say Cotton was a good choice outside of my local area? It’s a terrible choice in California, no doubt.
It's a terrible choice everywhere while hiking or being active outside. It simply isn't a performance fabric. Wearing blue jeans in the heat is just a Florida Meme, it's a miserable thing to wear while sweating.
>>
>>2021822
>wondered how their roll would keep dry
Haven’t you people heard of pack covers?
>>
>>2021833
They work if you stop and put your back flat on the ground. The rain that rolls off your back just goes into them if it rains any considerable amount.

A rain poncho works better.
>>
>>2021848
Wut? They work just fine. Never had anything on the outside of the pack get wet when using one.
>>
>>2021849
I had a trip where everyone's sleeping bags got wet using the covers that came with Osprey, Gregory and Deuter packs so it definitely wasn't the fault of any particular model pack. We just got caught out in a hour long thunderstorm one day. We all figured it was just the heavy and windy downpour but then it happened again the on a day where is was hardly just lightly raining for a few hours.
Afterwords I took mine out of the pack and replaced it with a backpack poncho. Never had issues again.
>>
>>2021849
I know what hes talking about. Some covers (Osprey, in my experience) go around your bag but leave the entire part that connects to your back exposed. So if you walk with a poncho, rain goes on your head, half slides down your back and soaks into the unprotected side of your pack.
>>
>>2020872
Does this explain why gear made after the mid-90s is made from ripstop tissue paper? If so, FUCK CALIFORNIA!
>>
>>2020907
*T-shirts and baseball caps
>>
>>2021763
Enjoy your literal AIDS
>>
>>2021864
All those packs suck BTW
>>
>>2021885
>hurrdurr
Thanks for making my point lol.
>>
>>2021895
You mean the point that I ass raped earlier so you ignored it and camped the thread til you could find someone stupider to pick on? Pathetic. reddit is -> my dude.
>>
>>2021898
No. The point that you are a seething retard. Thanks for the confirmation.
>>
>>2021904
Cope buddy. Also dilate. And furthermore, kys. There I think that covers the buzzword bases for ya. Got any other dumbass pithy comments about shit you don’t know about?
>>
>>2021905
Lol. Your coping seethe is delicious. Thanks for playing!
>>
>>2021916
Have a blessed day brother, go with Christ.
>>
>>2021917
Every day is blessed with coping retards to make fun of!!! Let go and let god!
>>
File: 715b325314e95be957e423.jpg (309 KB, 1500x1132)
309 KB
309 KB JPG
>>2020872
hello anon

you need all this. so that you can hike. yes, even the knee pads. you simply need everything and much more, says my sponsor

sincerely
your youtube-outdoor-larper-never-leaves-his-citypark-bushcrafter-gearshill
>>
>>2021833
Pack covers straight up don’t work that well. Water is finding it’s way around them. Everyone who hasn’t experienced this eventually will (unless, like OP said, they live in California and only hike outside of their rainy season).

And I don’t think I’ve ever seen a pack cover that would fit over a ccf pad.
>>
>>2021890
What do you consider to be better in the 55 to 85 liter range?
>>
>>2021798
Correct me if I’m wrong, but the big businesses that make up Cali’s GDP, aren’t they mass migrating right now to Texas?
>>
>>2022002
>the big businesses that make up Cali’s GDP, aren’t they mass migrating right now to Texas?
Not really- but its mostly headlines and not that GDP affecting. California has a very diverse economy. Agriculture, Aerospace, Entertainment, Manufacturing, Services etc...Apple and Google are not going any where. Neither is Chevron, Kaiser, Disney etc...

Top industries:
- #1. Real estate and rental and leasing ($504 billion, #1 among all states)
- #2. Professional and business services ($397.3 billion, #1)
- #3. Manufacturing ($320.7 billion, #1)
- #4. Information ($287.8 billion, #1)
- #5. Educational services, health care, and social assistance ($218.3 billion, #1)
- #6. Wholesale trade ($158.2 billion, #1)
- #7. Finance and insurance ($155.6 billion, #2)
- #8. Retail trade ($153.4 billion, #1)
- #9. Arts, entertainment, recreation, accommodation, and food services ($130 billion, #1)
- #10. Construction ($111.3 billion, #1)
>>
>>2022023
It's been illegal to run a business unless you're a big time Democrat donor for an entire year now. You don't have much of an economy left. I'm sure Bidet will bail you out though, as was the plan.
>>
>>2020872
I feel like this every time people recommend shit like tarp shelters that do not offer you a barrier between you and the snakes and spiders.
>>
>>2021792
I have a solution for California.
1: block all roads leading in and out of the state, setting up checkpoints with armed police (not Californian cops lol) and set up border patrols in undeveloped regions.
Shipping lanes would have to be patrolled by the coast guard and the Navy.
2: Issue messages to all in-state residents with a valid SSN that they must begin processing.
3: The test begins with “Press 1 for English, press 2 for Espanol”. Selecting Spanish is an automatic fail, those who select it immediately have a warrant out out for their arrest.
4: A warrant is out out for every last person in Cali who does not respond to the testing alert and is sent back to Mexico.
5: gas the homeless and use them to make eco-friendly pet food
>>
>>2022436
cope for a lazy nig you're the real reason you cant start a business.
>>
>>2022447
Or when they talk about cowboy camping.

OP might be on to something. To add to the list, 97 million people live in the red area, but you hardly hear anyone talk about chiggers.
>>
>>2022515
>chiggers
hates them with every ounce of soul.
>>
The giant underserved ego of californians
and their vast overstatement of california's importance is what this thread is about. Yes people hiked there like people hiked everywhere else, people used the simplest easiest to obtain commercially available and advertised option there like they did everywhere else.

Canister stoves have been around for ever. Everyone used to use external frame so everything bulky was carried on the outside. Then there's:
>There is some debate as to who made the first prototype, but it is generally accepted that in 1973 Kelty released the first commercially available (internal frame) model, the Kelty Tour.
California part of whatever like everyone else? Sure, why not.
>>
>>2020918
Why aren't you wearing wool in winter you dumbshit
>>
>>2021036
>I wore cotton the entire time because it’s a desert. It was a good choice. I’m from Georgia, so I wouldn’t do that in fall, but late summer in Zion? Yeah, pretty comfy.
Anon, I did every single thing you posted here including be from GA and went in late summer and wore cottin/linen exclusively save socks and underwear. What the fuck.
>>
>>2020892
And they continue trying to reinvent the wheel buy making a climbing design with lower center of gravity comfortable with an endless array of advanced hight adjusters, paddings and hip belts.
>>
>>2020872
cotton kills, go back to redit
>>
>>2022549
He said
>outside of winter
>>
>>2022567
The “go back to Redit” meme goes hand in hand with the NPC meme. It’s used when someone has an opinion that isn’t there own, but rather is a group-think conclusion supported by the status quo. The phrase “cotton kills” falls right in line with this, regardless as to its validity. Visit any Redit hiking sun and you’ll see the phrase used in a serious manner. Ironically, saying “go back to Redit” is a group think statement.
>>
>>2020918
just use linen then retard
>>
>>2021743
>Ohio is Midwest Cali
No they aren't. That's Illinois. Ohio is just that forgettable cousin who didn't do anything memorable and now works maintenance at a car dealership.
>>
>>2022613
Go back to Go Gaia you you spoonfeeding faggot.
>>
>>2022023
Isn’t Apples corporate HQ officially in Dublin Ireland for tax purposes? Lel
>>
>>2022613
>Ironically, saying “go back to Redit” is a group think statement.

Literally go back you faggot.
>>
>>2020872
Interesting post, I thought about something similar a while ago because I'm originally from California but when I started traveling to the tropics I realized all my old habits were no longer appropriate.
>>
>>2021023
There are some based outdoors people in places like Redding but mostly the state is full of fags
>>
>>2021792
I agree, I'm originally from California, please someone nuke it
>>
>>2022023
>Apple and Google
Woke capital will be driven from the state, Silicon. Alley hollowed out and uprooted to lead the colonization of the last Legacy American electoral bastions in the South (or Israel, preferably) ; whatever remains will be turned into Chinese beachhead proxies through the cartels they’ve bought out. Things are worse than you can possibly imagine, and the fires were a foretaste of “build back better” things to come.
>>
>>2022811
Where did you wind up going? Also califag.

I lived in Arkansas for a while and sort of miss it, but I'd rather go elsewhere.
>>
>>2022843
Not him but I’m a califag bout to move to Springfield MO. Leave soon. Got a job lined up and everything. I’m ecstatic to get out of here.
>>
>>2022886
Briefly worked out near Columbia. Have fun bro.
>>
>>2022889
I will man. I visited the city once already and have been through the state 3 times now. Seems really comfy. Gonna buy a house in town and a farm in the country in about 5 years. Keep both properties and rent the house in town. I got it all planned out.
>>
>>2020872
>“cotton kills.”
I first heard that expression back in the 70s.
>>
>>2022830
Salt-right buzzword salad is full of salt-right buzzwords.
>>
>>2020955
As a midwesterner I can assure you you are greatly overestimating how much most of the country thinks about California either way
>>
>>2023033
Kek
>>
i'm an australian living in california and it's pretty bad here, literally impossible to get away from crowds or people in general. even if you hike really far out there will still be a few people around which kinda kills it for me. where i'm from i could walk half an hour into the bush and not see another person for days.
>>
>>2023026
lel, don't you lefties feel weird about being the foot soldiers of global capital?
>>
>>2022886
I'm surprised that you're still able to find work at this point.
>>
>>2023033
That would be ideal, I'd rather you disregard my existence than hate it
>>
>>2020898
Western Mountaineering
>>
File: 2937493-melvin.jpg (20 KB, 540x282)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>2020872
If The Collapse happens ive already compiled a list of addresses of people from California and I plan to immediately murder every single last one of them I can before turning to ShTf survival. Ive already thrown nails in some of their driveways and put an egg in 2 gas tanks.

The California invasion has drove land prices up 434% higher just over the summer. Which whatever, but like always theyre trying to turn here into California...where they just fucking escaped from....and I cant stomach it. I used to feel like Melvin from Tremors, screaming for somebody to do something, until I realized nobody is coming to this areas rescue....so I will. Be forewarned if you come to Montana. Same deal applies to WaSHITington fags and NY State fags, but califags have top priority.
>>
>>2024347
Moving to Montana and you can’t stop me

t. Orange County
>>
>>2024347
holy based
>>
>>2020955
When I go to virginia for work they see my plate and honk and flip me off and shit. Fucking unreal.
>>
>>2024358
You drive from California to Virginia for work? Just move bro.
>>
>>2024351
Come on, Im not the only who feels the same, just the only one doing anything. Literally everyone here will hate you, just because they dont say it doesnt mean they dont feel it. Come to Whitefish. Lines in the sand matter. Make haste faggot!!
>>
>>2024366
how would you feel if an australian moved to montana

just out of curiosity
>>
>>2024366
I’m genuinely unworried. I went to work in Alaska for a few months, met a ton of fisherman and they’d always ask where I was from. I’d say California and obviously they were less than pleased. When I followed that with “I’m aware that they are mostly crazy, but I am not” or some variation, no one had a problem with me.

tldr if you’re from California but don’t act like a faggot I think people can get over that you’re from California.
>>
Are Californians aware that everyone hates them? Or do they live in blissful ignorance?
>>
>>2024377
The ones that aren't retarded democrats are pretty aware of it. The rest are also aware of it but think it's because everyone else is retared and they're just better than them.
>>
>>2024377
California hate is vastly exaggerated.
>>
>>2024371
Yea maybe 5 years ago....but califags are like pit bulls, they can be the best best natured fucker in the whole world, vote red, whatever they claim, but eventually the Californian always comes out. Its anecdotal but it has Proven true 100% in my many dealings with califags, theyre always a Top One Asshole. I dont care how cool and down to earth you think you are, the lesser of evils is still evil. Im dead serious dont come to the flathead valley bro

>>2024368
Idk, ive only dealt with a couple kangaroofags so I cant say. I dont hate outsiders just to hate them. I have legitimate reasons and we are not gonna let our state go the way of Colorado.
>>
>>2024382
Found the Californian. The entire country, save for 2 or 3 states, cant wait to push you into the ocean. Everyone I know hates califags
>>
>>2024363
I'm a political consultant, I go wherever the party sends me, right now that's Virginia unfortunately. I've been meaning to move for a while now but when it does happen it'll probably be somewhere a little warmer. Maybe rural Mississippi or Georgia or something.
>>
>>2024377
>Are Californians aware that everyone hates them?
Yeah, but why would I care if I earn good money and live in the best state for all the things I want to do?
I've had to live in multiple states temporarily for work, and honestly most places are fucking shithole flyover states, and the people are often fat, conservative smoothbrains. Not to say California doesn't have it's share of shithole places. I would never choose to live in SF or LA, but everywhere else is peachy.
>>
>>2024383
fair enough brother, i understand 100%. i came from a tiny rural town myself. i moved to the USA and i just want to settle down in a tiny rural town like the one i grew up in and raise my kids among other likeminded people but i don't want to invade anyone's town
>>
>>2024383
>eventually the Californian always comes out

What exactly does this mean?

>Im dead serious dont come to the flathead valley bro

Don’t care, I’ll move to Whitefish if I feel like it.
>>
>>2024390
Absolutely this. If you avoid the large cities it's a fucking dream. Gorgeous forests up north, cool rural areas in the south.
>>
>>2024389
Which party? Theyre both equally shitty
>>
>>2024371
How was the fishing?
>>
>>2024397
I would settle for just moving within California if it wasn’t for the faggot gun laws
>>
>>2020902
CCF doesn't absorb water tho, just shake it off and wipe it down
>>
>>2024400
This was commercial fishing for black cod and p cod.

75% poor in my experience. A few memorable days of excellent fishing, where I saw captains grinning ear to ear and everyone was soaked in blood from cleaning. Good times.
>>
>>2020918
Synthetics are comfy in those conditions desu....ur right about the smell tho

Wool is def a meme unless it's cold though
>>
>>2024396
>what exactly does this mean??

The fact you dont know, proves exactly how much of a califag you are. Also I unironically doubt you could afford Whitefish

>>2024391
What's like minded people for you?
>>
>>2024411
>like minded people
nationalists but i'd settle for plain old conservatives
>>
>>2024402
As a liberal Californian with guns, I will say this. The gun laws are pretty fucking dumb, not in that it's gun control legislation (there's some obvious shit that should have been done ages ago), but it's like some retards who have no clue about how to operate guns, or any of the laws/requirements surrounding owning guns decided to make laws against guns.
>>
>>2024414
shut the fuck up faggot
>>
>>2024399
Democrat. Competitive races tend to bring out the best in both parties (on the local level at least) so there's a lot less bullshit than you would expect given the current political climate.
>>
>>2024411
>The fact you dont know, proves exactly how much of a califag you are.

Nah, the fact that you can’t even put it into words shows that you don’t actually have any coherent ideological opposition to otherwise similar people who happened to be born somewhere else. Literally reeeeeeee California.

>>2024413
based

>>2024414
>it's like some retards who have no clue about how to operate guns, or any of the laws/requirements surrounding owning guns decided to make laws against guns.

I mean, isn’t this a very common theme? When was the last time anyone used a rifle mounted bayonet to kill someone? Yet bayonet lugs are what, “assault features?”

I really regret having to sell my rifle and pistol when I moved to California, and I’d love to have guns again, but I can’t bring myself to buy the cucked rifles.
>>
>>2024414
The gun laws have gotten to the point where it's past irritating and just pure funny. Govt wants me to crack my gun in half to reload. Fucking wild man.
>>
>>2024414
>but it's like...
It's not LIKE that. It IS that. From their perspective it doesn't actually matter. They don't need to learn about guns because their goal is not to have a "sensible" body of firearms legislation.
It's nibble away at your rights until you're even more of a nogunz country than bongland.
All you have to do is speak to liberals to understand that - they want total civilian disarmament and they're willing to take little bites to get there for as long as it takes.
Progunz understand this, that is why they are for guns to a point you might see as irrational.
None of us want to see maniacs with machine guns either.
>>
>>2024418
have sex
>>
>>2023307
Lots of work if you wanna work. Got a full time job with bennies and I don’t have a BA. Guy who hired me says I should think hard about my future with the company because he sees a lot of room for me to grow and insinuated making me management within the year.
>>
>>2022902
land is so cheap in Missouri man, also national forest land too
>>
>>2023024
It was invented by a marketing genius. Now anyone who hikes has to buy special technical "hiking" clothes.
>>
>>2024351
I wish I had been born in California just so I could move from California.

>buy a $600k house I could barely afford
>barely scrape by, but still manage to pay all of my bills
>live in ham sandwiches due to house cost
>roll my spare change for gas money
>sell house for $800k after 5 years
>move to Montana
>buy a house for cash
>live comfortable with no house note
>watch the locals seethe as I proclaim myself a proud Democrat
>tell them Montana needs more diversity
>>
>>2024846
What’s gonna happen when the CA housing market falls off a cliff this decade?
>>
>>2024846
kek.

I am going to inherit a 600K house in Orange County one day and I will probably sell it. I have zero desire to live here.

>>2024847
You’d have less Californians fleeing, probably. The problem is so goddamn many of us leave and lack the self awareness to understand the reasons California is unaffordable and shitty.
>>
>>2024866
Jews, chinks, and Italians is why California is so expensive.
>>
>>2020872
Good observation, anon.

>>2020898
>>2020906
>>2023374
I wouldn't call it worthwhile but big for sure: North Face. It's founder, Tompkins and the founder of Patagonia were friends either way.
>>
>>2020906
Have one of their teal turquoise pullovet poly shirts.

Hundreds of hikes and trips.on it

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.