[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 52 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: shoessuck.jpg (39 KB, 534x234)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
Any barefoot hikers in here? How difficult is long-distance backpacking while barefoot? I've never done anything more than day hikes barefoot and want to start testing myself more.
>>
Best of luck. I do barefoot running but I'm too scared of stumbling on a rock and loosing a toenail to hike barefoot. Plus there are many things thick skin just won't stop.
>>
Check out Cody from dual survivor, shows a great example this
>>
File: barefoot.jpg (315 KB, 750x1012)
315 KB
315 KB JPG
>>1982866
The most I do barefoot is day hikes as well. The environment and terrain I live in is harsh and it takes a while for your feet to get used to. Think hot sharp sandstone, spinifex and all sorts of biting ants and bugs.

For longer hikes I'll go barefoot when I can but will have my barefoot trail shoes on me. I swapped my hiking boots for Vivo Primus Trail SGs and absolutely love them. They wouldn't suit all terrain conditions but I've put mine through the ringer and I'm happy with their functionality and durability.
>>
Did some barefoot trailrunning a few years ago mostly just to see what it was like. Not fun at first, but it felt better as I built up callouses. I stopped after I got Plantar Warts, I don't think they were from the running, but they made it too painful to run.
>>
>>1982874
Oh man, that just brought back tons of memories! I used to love watching that show with my dad, and barefoot hippie dude was always our favorite part. I'll do some research on him, thanks a bunch.
>>
>>1982868
i steped on a nail once
>>
>>1982877
>Plantar Warts
looked it up and it sayed that this is how u get it By skin-to-skin contact (handshakes or hugs).
By touching a contaminated surface (blanket or doorknob).
>>
>>1982875
I can relate to your situation. My local trails are definitely not barefoot-friendly, but on the plus-side, rougher terrains force your feet to toughen up quicker. I've been thinking about investing in a pair of those Injini barefooting socks for harsher trails as I don't really have the money for a pair of quality barefoot shoes right now. I'll keep the Vivo Primus Trail SGs in mind if I ever try doing a big backpacking trip barefoot. Thanks a bunch for the advice!
>>
Never consciously done it but most day walks in the bush I did with my old man as a kid I went barefoot. NZ kids don't wear shoes much. We don't have any snakes or dangerous spiders though. My feet have been cucked by shoes but since I started spearfishing again I've been walking down rocky tracks and shit to the beach barefoot and it doesnt take long for your feet to harden up again
>>
>>1982877
I'm not sure if you can get plantar warts from barefoot running, they might have just been blisters, which is a totally normal thing for baby barefooters with shoe-coddled feet. You should get out there and try it again. Don't let early injuries discourage you.
>>
>>1982893
>barefooting socks
link?
>>
>>1982893
Yeah, your feet definitely toughen up quick.

Heres a link for reference for the shoes I have. There are many different brands out there, I'm not 100% what is the best and they are all super expensive. These where recommended to me by a mate who does 24hr endurance obstacle course racing.

>https://www.solemechanics.com.au/collections/mens-vivobarefoot/products/vivobarefoot-primus-trail-sg-capulet-olive-mens
>>
>>1982909
i saw a vid of some one converting a pair of vans to bare foot/is that a good idea for hiking?
>>
>>1982900
I know they weren't blisters, they didn't go away until I started using wart medication on them. Like >>1982889 said, they were probably from a blanket I was sharing at that time.
I did get blisters, but they were never too bad.
>>
>>1982908
https://www.injinji.com/shop/trail.html
There are a bunch of cut-resistant barefoot socks out there, these are just the ones that came to mind.
>>
File: q.jpg (71 KB, 540x960)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
>>1982866
>>
>>1982921
you will not get thoese walking bare foot
>>
>>1982923
does walking barefoot make some plants dissappear?
>>
>>1982866
You really need the support if you are walking for longer periods of time or carrying a pack. Try it and see. I walk my dog barefoot on grass, mud, gravel, sand and rock for up to a couple of hours, but with a pack it is much harder on the feet. Hurts the muscles more and damages the tissues.
>>
File: juul.jpg (48 KB, 310x444)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>2021
>not being a hobbit
>>
>>1982923
Do you mean they won’t jab the bottom of your feet, or do you mean they won’t stay stuck to your foot?
>>
I haven't found anything that works as good as flat leather sandals and 2 or more layers of wool socks for walking. I am not saying its perfect but it works best for me. My feet produce a tremendous amount of heat and it needs to dissipate. No problem with ticks because I always put my socks over my trousers. Looks dorky but it's what works . I can add or shead layers depending the weather. Wool retains 80% of its insulative value even when wet. Because my feet can constantly air out the socks actually don't smell as bad at all . I live in a sea climate zone.
>>
>>1982977
Rubber is very obviously a different material than thick, calloused skin. These may hurt your feet if you don't have experience, but they won't puncture your feet and stick. I barefoot through chaparral that has all sorts of dry prickly shit like that and have never had a problem.
>>
>>1982923
The fuck you won't. I took one step out of my tent and screamed like a little bitch stepping on a patch of these bastards. And you can tell by reading my words that I'm a genuine Internet Tough Guy. You better believe a Nancy like you would be weeping.
>>
>>1982866
How do your feet not get cut to shit as you walk?
>>
File: Hookworms.jpg (151 KB, 1796x1200)
151 KB
151 KB JPG
>>1982866
hookworm general
>>
This is just stupid.
>worms
>thorns
>any sharped rock can keep you out of fun
>any snake can bite you straight skin
>skin becomes hard and brittle, causing terrible pain
Just don do it.
>>
>>1983161
They respond to being in a harsh environment by getting way tougher, thicker, and stronger. It doesn't take long before you can walk on gravel or walk through dry brush without being uncomfortable. It's using your feet in the way that millions of years of evolution has intended, which also brings up another point,
>>1983170
The only real concerns are hookworms and ticks if you have real problems with them in your area, and snakes don't create any more necessary concern than they normally would. Speaking totally anecdotally, sharp rocks aren't shit once your feet have toughened up, thorns and stickers aren't shit once your feet have toughened up, and your skin absolutely does not become hard and brittle. Remember, our ancestors walked like this for millions of years, and I don't think that every single one of them had painfully dry and brittle skin. People who haven't legitimately tried it out before always have tons of preconceived notions about it, but I can assure you, it really isn't as bad as you would think.
>>
>>1983191
You may be right, but will take a long time until you have enough toughened your foot to don't feel that. My question is, since we don't live in caves anymore and need to return to the forest of stone after hiking, how keep it?
>>
>>1982889
You can get them from cuts on your feet.
>>
>>1983219
Do you mind rephrasing that question? I didn't understand it. Apologies if English is not your first language.
>>
>>1983191
>our ancestors
Only children were barefoot. I was barefoot. There is no evidence of cro magnon “evolving” they had no geatation period. They were fully modern when they appeared in the fossil record and were farmers. They had clothes, shoes etc. search clovis people and go down the rabbit hole
>>
>>1983230
I think he meant "why do it"?
>>
>>1982877
I had a couple painful platar warts, one on the ball of my foot and one on the heel. I found a remedy that works. Each night before bed fold a kleenex and soak it in apple cider vinegar. Then take a strip of duct tape and tape it over the wart. after about a week the whole thing died and fell off in one piece it worked amazingly.
>>
Please none of this millions of years nonsense on my board.
>>
>>1982866
both look crippled to me
>>
>>1983244
Adds variety, new challenges, etc. Watching your every step forces you to be more present while hiking and helps with balance and coordination. It helps me personally feel more connected with my surroundings. There are also a bunch of practical benefits. It massively helps with chronic foot problems like collapsed arches because it strengthens muscles that are rarely used when wearing supportive shoes, it improves posture, you have better control, etc. etc. But at the end of the day, the majority of the benefits of barefoot hiking only happen if you really want them to. If you want to feel like a part of nature rather than a visitor, and you think barefoot will help you, then it will. If you want to slow down and appreciate your surroundings, and you think barefoot will help you, then it will. If you don't think you'll get anything out of it then I don't recommend it.
>>
>>1983230
You may be right, but will take a long time until you have enough toughened your feet to don't feel the thorns and sharp rocks. My question is, since we don't live in caves anymore and need to return to the forest of stone (city) after hiking, how keep feet toughened ?

Is it clear now? Sorry, English is not even my second language haha!
>>
>>1982923
These are the words of a man who has never been to the Southwestern US.
>>
>>1983282
By staying consistently active! Just get out of the house a lot, get on trails, and be barefoot. Your feet actually toughen a lot quicker than you might think. It took me only a week before I could walk on gravel with no discomfort. You don't need to live in a cave to walk barefoot, just hike as often as possible.
>>
hello hookworms get I'm my feet
>>
>>1982895
NZ is probably the best place in the world for a barefoot life style.
>no snakes
>no spiders
>nothing really thorny
>beautiful country
>loads of sheep/wool
>excellent grass fed cows
>usual for people to be go to the grocery store an other places barefoot in in socks.

Gotta love you fucking kiwis
>>
>>1983268
not my cup of tea but fair enough
>>
>>1982954
no your feet will toughen up and you also will not complete the step if you feel it.you also must look yowre your walking,
>>1982977
oh your fel but when i feel something sharp i dont fallow threw the step i lift to step some where else.also the callouses will keep you from sticking on you

>>1983154
kek ,this post was written by soft feet

>>1983283
i live in texas and go bare foot all the time,this post was written by uncalloused feet

>>1983148
this,callous feet are the best type of foot

>>1982970
unironically this

>>1983161
they will form callouses in certen parts of the foot and the other parts of the soul become leathery to componsate for the rough ground

>>1983163
worm wood,pumkin seeds,other worming plants

>>1983170
>>skin becomes hard and brittle, causing terrible pain
ask me how i know you dont know what your talking about

>>1983191
>millions of years of evolution has intended
this

>>1983219
>ut will take a long time until you have enough toughened your foot to don't feel that
it only takes as long as you make it
>>
Nobody would ever do this in Florida
>>
I've done a week long coastal hike in the PNW barefoot. Beaches were fine, including the boulder beaches. Sometimes the sharp ass beaches hurt. When we had to go inland it was no ploblem either, the mud is comfy kinda. But that being said my feet hurt for a fair while afterwards.
>>
>>1982886
same :(
felt like a really big splinter until it was time to take it out
>>
>>1982866
ah yes, yes
very good
>>
>>1982866
How do people go barefoot in the winter without losing toes?
>>
>>1982866
Why do you think we invented shoes 20,000 years ago? Even bushmen wear crude sandals every now and then.
>>
>>1983967
>Why do you think we invented shoes 20,000 years ago?
because we left the golden age
>>
>>1982875
>hot-cold, wet-dry, slippery rocks or stepping on a snake
lmao
these people are just walking on manicured trails anyway
>>
>>1982874
To this day this is still my favorite survival show. It's not all tacky and cringy like the Bear Grylls shit.
>>
File: IMG_9138.png (1.72 MB, 750x1334)
1.72 MB
1.72 MB PNG
>>1984186
I can understand why you would think that but not everyone on this board is LARPing.

That post was from a guy I work with. We are remote hiking guides in harsh sandstone escarpment country in hot savannah environment. There are no trails at all out here. The guy is nuts, he rarely wears boots while out bush and traverses country I wouldn't dream of going barefoot.
>>
>>1984362
Im a sucker for Alone and Suvivorman
>>
There's a reason we invented shoes
>>
>>1984426
Yeah, because you're GAY
>>
Shoes are one of humans best inventions.

Imagine walking, but every step you take hurts you, this is walking barefoot.

Frostbite. Sharp objects. Parasites. Snakes. Slippery terrain. Poisonous plants. All can be prevented by wearing boots.

Some more bonuses?
You can take them off.
You always have cordage on you.
You can give them to someone who needs it more.
You can travel quicker.

Remember when soldiers looted corpses to get their boots?

If shoes were currency, I'd be rich. Cant have enough boots. I've got enough boots to give to each of my family members. Same with guns.

How telling that the only things I'm prepped with is bullets, guns, seeds, and boots?
>>
File: 1596770830091.jpg (309 KB, 635x635)
309 KB
309 KB JPG
>>1984612
>>
my feet are already fucked from wearing climbing shoes
>>
Socks are really just a simple shoe. And I need socks, it's cold in Alberta
>>
>>1984988
My feet are slightly fucked from wearing tight skate shoes and walking all day in my youth.
>>
>>1982893
what about espadrilles? granpa was an old time rancher and he and his buddies walked around pretty much everywhere with those, whatever the terrain was
>>
>>1984612
cool story bro,next your tell us that automated chewing devices are the best thing we invented
>>
File: LARP ALARM.jpg (4 KB, 259x194)
4 KB
4 KB JPG
>>1982866
WEE WOO
>WEE WOO
WEE WOO
>WEE WOO
WEE WOO
>WEE WOO
ALERT! LARP DETECTED! LARP DETECTED! VACATE THE THREAD IMMEDIATELY!
>>
>>1985258
DC FAGGOT DETECTED
>>
>>1983191

-Image Related-
>>
>>1982886
I felt this post in my butthole. The most puckering I've ever experienced.
>>
Before the invention of shoes and gloves how did people avoid frostbite?
>>
>>1983791
i do it all the time i only ever wear shoes while im driving or im going to the store fuck shoes and fuck baby feet
>>
>>1982866
God you people are like the vegetarians of hiking

I hate hippies so much
>>
>>1985621
the selk'nam people from the far southern patagonia coated themselves in a mixture of ash and animal fat
>>
>>1982866
ive been running and hiking barefoot (as well as minimalist type shoes and huarache sandals) for well over a decade now. No troubles with my knees or achilles or anything like that. A few splinters in the feet and all, easy enough to remove. Dont expect much sympathy from health care professionals.

Id highly recommend it to anyone who feels disconnected from the earth and from nature.

When i was younger and more nuts i went barefoot in the city too, but thats pretty grungy.
>>
>>1985974
What about hookworm or frostbite?
>>
>>1986868
yeah depends where you live, im in the pacific north west so its just wet here in the winter, not a ton of snow and no hookworms
>>
Too many people tromping through the woods pitching glass bottles around. One wrong step and you'll need to extract shrapnel, bandage yourself, and then try to limp back to civilization.
>>
I love going around barefoot, but that's asking for trouble in the backwoods. Had to cancel a little trip and limp my friend out because he thought it was a good idea to prance around in 6 inches of fallen leaves with no boots on. Unseen teeth. Big swollen diabeetus cankle, couldn't walk, bad news. I guess if you picked the right trail and took the right precautions it could be reasonable.
>>
>>1982866
are barefoot shoes a meme or do they actually help feet
>>
I wouldn't call me a barefoot hiker, but I'm barefoot at all times unless I'm in public, in with the cows, or the ground is frozen. Every spring is a bit of a fight to get them to harden up after a winter of wearing boots, but it takes like a week max because the callous never really goes away. It's easy, just take your shoes off.
>>
>>1985234
Automatic digestion devices are used all the time. A simple mind would call it automatic chewing devices.

One could also call this a knife, although that may be considered a semi automatic chewing device.

Anytime anything is cooked, its pre digesting food.

You show you hubris, m8. I told truth and you mouth off like a retard.

Again. Automatic digestion devices; cookware, utensils, chemical and heat reactions, and food processors are the greatest of human inventions.
>>
>>1986884
they just sound like a n00b!
>>
>>1982866
on the news tonight there was a piece about how working from home and going barefoot or in socks in causing millions of americans to develop foot pains, some people are so soft holy frick
>>
>>1986949
yeah, their bunions are finally separating and they can feel the nerve endings in their feet again, telling them that shit hurts
>>
>>1986964
LOL
>>
>>1986949
i saw this and thought no fucking way this has to be bait
https://www.chatelaine.com/health/how-to-deal-with-foot-pain/
nah it's fucking real
>injures self by walking around house
>>
>>1986872
I live in the north east, don't know about hookworm but in the winter we get heavy snow and ice. How did people survive in it before the existence of shoes?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.