[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 42 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

#374-“Dubz” Edition

Previous Thread:
>>1976312

Thinking about picking up a new hobby? Want to get a memecaster? Haven't mastered the Palomar knot? Click here!
http://www.pastebin.com/u/fishingandtackle
https://imgur.com/a/1Xw3N

First for best telescopic rod is the one you exchanged for a 3pc.

Talk about fishin
>>
>>1982598
Does the boat matter for fishing? I have an inflatable kayak and don’t want to scare fishies
>>
>>1982601
what do you mean?
>>
>>1982601
Loud boats can scare fish, so can reflective ones. The noise doesn't have to be noise we hear, it can be lower frequency stuff the feel on their lateral line. Some noises can attract fish too, I know a guy who changed his kicker motor from a 2 blade to a 3 blade prop and went from mostly catching pike to mostly catching bass.

Not all fish will react the same to all of this, and some don't give a shit at all. You'll probably be fine.
>>
>>1982601
There’s a reason trolling motors exist I think. Little inflatable boat can’t be worse than a moving shadow right on the shore or a bass boat.
>>
File: PXL_20210113_230006385.jpg (3.45 MB, 4032x3024)
3.45 MB
3.45 MB JPG
Prototyping an ice fishing sled, even though I'm not sure if under new Ontario lockdown fishing is a crime.
>>
>>1982644
They plywood is gonna soak and it will break down in no time.
>>
File: 20210113_183402.jpg (2.46 MB, 3264x2448)
2.46 MB
2.46 MB JPG
Accidentally posted in the old thread
>be me
>go fishing
>new spot.png
>dont catch anything but it looks like a promising location
>intend to return in spring
>also found a piece of petrified wood
>pic related
I've had worse days fishing.
>/blogpost
>>
>>1982662
Prototype, boss. Free leftover material from work cut out in 5 minutes on the CNC just to see if I like the size/shape.
>>
>>1982644
>>1982662
>>1982676
Marine plywood and a sealer would actually be good, although 3/4 inch or whatever that is is too thick, but yeah that MDF flimflam shit is not ideal.
>>
>>1982678
This is 16mm particle board, final one will be 12mm Baltic plywood. It will last. Calculated it will weigh less than 20lbs.
>>
>>1982683
Tbh you could got 10mm or even 8 and still keep it strong enough. Put a seat and legs on the back so you can tip it up and use it as a windbreak.
>>
>>1982694
12 is real thin without fiberglass or metal bracing which I'm not looking to do. Keeping it simple. I'm going to put a bar on it so I can push it like a shopping cart, ride it like a dog sled or pull it like a pulk, and just carry a pop out if weather calls for shelter.
>>
File: nissi1.jpg (80 KB, 612x514)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
japanese fishing schoolgirls are the best
>>
>>1982715
Ohno's Ohnos...
>>
Looking for a new 9 wt. Been seeing some Helios 2 rods on eBay. Anyone fish one of these I’ve heard good reviews. Looking for a cannon for blasting shooting line.
>>
File: s-l1000.jpg (79 KB, 1000x1000)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
Is there a better reel for the value? No 20$ reel compares to the ROX-20.
>>
>>1982737
>plastic gear chinkshit
not even as a joke
>>
>>1982737
meh, if it were me, i would just get a daiwa BG and never have to worry about a reel again
>>
>>1982743
What makes it worth spending so much money on ?
>>
>>1982744
trusted brand, i can put a little more trust into the parts, especially things like the drag and its ability to not corrode or wear over time, and i just like it more. gives me the tism tingles
>>
>>1982740
Lol your always saying that about every reel.
>>
>>1982744
Having it work, like new, for as long as you care to maintain it.
>>
>>1982743
>>1982744
>>1982746
>>1982760
>>1982761
Just get a pflueger president and be done with it. Not sure why spin fags buy anything else.
>>
>>1982764
meh, i cant complain. i got my 2500 BG during a christmas sale for like $70, so i may as well have got that over a president. plusthe reviews ive seen for the president seem to have a lot of defective reels shipped out and i didnt want to risk that
>>
>>1982764
I've got a President, a Supreme, and a couple of Shimanos. I think I like the Sahara more than the President, and the Supreme more than the NASCI.
>>
>>1982764
Shimano fx is 20$ and lasts forever.
>>
Am I range banned here as well? If not, here's a stunner of a crappie. No record breaker, but a pound and a half and amazing pattern/color. I let this one go back to make more. The picture doesn't do justice.
>>
>>1982817
Very pretty.
>>
>>1982818
Thanks! :) I tried my luck last Saturday and managed to pull a 1 lb bass out, but nothing else. It was nice to put my hands on one though.
>>
>>1982601
I've fished out of all sorts of inflatables. Use what you have and adapt as need be. If you want to try out different techniques or equipment, try to find easy water to field test it and go from there. Carry your manual pump and patches with you and some extra glue never hurts.
>>
>-20c and windy
spicy fishing trip
>>
Fuck I didn’t get a chance to reply, but braid gives me the ability to have two rods in one. I can fish a jig in open water and throw a swimbait , and if there’s a a ton of grass I can cut the leader and fish a frog or go flipping and pitching. Switching over to braid cut the amount of rods in my boat by half. I fish out of a 14ft Jon boat and I only bring 3 rods with me. A medium spinning rod for drop shorting and wacky worms. A medium heavy for cranks and reaction baits. And a heavy for flipping, frogging and swim jigs. The only reason I’d would switch over to flouro is if I was fishing around rock and docks. If you have a lot of grass and weeds like I do, switch over to braid to a leader. If you get around grass cut that shit off and saw your way through that shit. I wish I had learned that earlier.
>>
File: 20210113_110550.jpg (395 KB, 1395x1046)
395 KB
395 KB JPG
>>
File: 0109211525_resize_42.jpg (1.24 MB, 1200x900)
1.24 MB
1.24 MB JPG
Trout fishing is best fishing. Not even mad I got skunked. It was just a good day to be outside.
>>
>>1983107
Tubbies on this board cant hike to go brook trout fishing anon. It's a blessing to nothing but the babbling brooks to fish at.
>>
>>1982817
I would fuck that fish
>>
>>1982598
that chick looks absolutely disgusted to be holding a fish.
>>
>>1983278
She is awfully sexy.
>>
>>1983292
>If you only knew how bad things really are.
>>
Winter
>>
>>1983292
>>1983341
Well maybe if she did something she enjoys instead of a niche that gets you the most likes on instagram she would be smiling.
>>
>>1983351
That doesn't get clicks friend. She probably drove by, saw someone getting hero shots of the fish, wanted to get her Insta pic, then realized mid snap that fish smell like fish. I have 3 years of videos I have been taking on my excursions, and firstly, I haven't uploaded them anywhere. Secondly, I am in none of my videos, because why would I be? I started doing it to share the beauty of the things I see while wandering. Who wants nature to be obscured by my ugly mug taking up 1/3 of the screen?
>>
>>1983379
Hell, she may be cool and pulled a face at the last moment. The makeup gives me pause though. Not a lot of real outdoorsy chicks want to put their face on before going out and getting messy.
>>
Remember boys even if it’s cold, windy, and raining you gotta get out there.
>>
>>1983386
Big surf but 80F tomorrow, I'm sending it.
>>
>>1983388
Kayak fisherman, or boat? Jealous of 80 degree weather, I must say. I'm in the South, but it's only in the 50s right now, and I fished in the snow last weekend.
>>
>>1983393
Shore pounding, no waders though so I'm not trying to get wet if its cold.
>>
>>1983107
That’s a good looking spot
>>
File: PXL_20210114_215306827.jpg (598 KB, 756x1008)
598 KB
598 KB JPG
Huh, turns out there's crappie in my local lake. Neat.
>>
File: Screenshot (108).png (1.17 MB, 1440x900)
1.17 MB
1.17 MB PNG
>>1983408
Sounds fun to me. Hope you catch big. Salt or Fresh? I'm stuck in fresh, but
hit the salt whenever I can. It's my preference if I have a choice.
>>1983472
Pretty
>>
File: røktlaks.png (370 KB, 590x393)
370 KB
370 KB PNG
How do you guys eat your fish? If you go for big salmon, you should always go for a place that can make smoked salmon. Perfect in sandwiches with mustard sauce.
>>
Just caught my first swimbait fish on the Klash 9. I was not expecting a 4lb small mouth to hit it.
>>
>>1983381
some do. i have a cousin that won't go muddin' without putting her face on first.
>>
>>1983381
She knew she was going fishing and that if she caught a fish she would have to take a picture with it so she prepared for that eventuality.
>>
All lead/heavy metals used in tackle should be banned. All soft plastic baits should degrade after 1-2 years left in the environment. This is non negotiable.
>>
>>1983499
I've never tried one of those, but that's a promising introduction to a lure. Beautiful smallie.
>>
>>1983522
It's good to have a stance, but do you have a solution?
>>
>>1983522
Lead is fine stop being a baby. Oh no not the loons haha come on man.
>>
File: trout (2).jpg (3.64 MB, 4032x2268)
3.64 MB
3.64 MB JPG
>>1983386
>liquid water
>cold
>>
>>1983538
There are companies making biodegradable baits, and it's possible to make small weights from steel and big weights from some sort of reinforced cement
>>
>>1983558
Bad take friend, I would rather it be 10 degrees and snowing than it be 34 degree and raining
>>
>>1983563
Can't say I agree with that, but you do you I guess.
>>
>>1983568
Let me simplify it, dry cold maybe actually colder than wet cold, but wet cold always feel colder than dry cold.
>>
>>1983534
It’s a crazy lure, it comes with a lip that is removable that turns it into a glide bait, with the lip in it’s a crank bait and the tail switches up and down and you can turn it into a giant jerk bait. It’s almost impossible to get right now for retail price. It took me a few weeks testing out the different ways to fish it before I got a bite
>>
>>1983522
i agree completely. i wish these big amazon tesla corporations would stop making lead in factories and sweatshops
>>
Redpill me on fishfinders/sonar? I wanna buy my first one for ice fishing and canoe use in the summer for around $500 or less but know nothing about them
>>
>>1983588
Pretty awesome. I'll definitely be checking that out.
>>
>>1983538

There are companies that make biodegradable baits, but the current issue is that the patents for best performing biodegradable plastics are held by the likes of DOW and other big bois. They will not let you use those patents cheaply or at all, so most bio bait manufacturers have to come up with their own formulas (which aren't quite as good or cheap, there is only so many ways you can arrange the chemicals for the properties you want and the big corps got the low hanging fruit a long time ago). This is perhaps one of the very few times where I think the power of government can actually make a positive difference.

The plan:
> Regulate the baits to be biodegradable within reasonable parameters to balance performance with the intended goal
Option 1:
> Approach patent holders with a deal; let these other bait companies liscence your patent on a shall issue basis (only for bait) for below market value and we let you make some money
Option 2:
> "Eminent domain" the patents as too important for the public good, compensate the patent holders with "fair market value"
Option 3:
> Fuck your intellectual property rights, this is too important to the (literal and metaphysical) health of the nation and the public good, every bait maker can use these X patents freely

Plenty of great options to lead already exist, maybe offer some sort of rebate/trade in program for old lead tackle.
>>
>>1983614
Cool. Make it happen. I don't disagree with you at all. A lot of people also cast their own weights and mold their own plastics though. Lead is so readily available that it's basically free if you know where to look, and plastics are used in so many other applications that it's going to be hard to make them unavailable. You're taking on more than just the fishing industry. The only option is a cheaper and better alternative not owned by someone else. It would sell itself if you can pull it off. I would be open to try alternatives.
>>
File: thicc perch.jpg (154 KB, 1375x888)
154 KB
154 KB JPG
>>1983594
They are extremely useful for ice fishing. Through the ice you can always see your lure/bait, any fish that comes cruising by, and get an idea of how they are reacting to your setup. If a lot of fish come by but ignore your lures, time to switch up your presentation. No fish coming by? Time to move. Whole lot of tiny marks on the bottom? Size down and get a limit of perch. The perch school suddenly disappears and there is just a giant mark sitting there? Drop down something big and flashy quick and catch a predator. You would also be surprised at how often fish come by well off the bottom and you can quickly reel up to meet them. Ignoring all that, the simple advantage of knowing when a fish is down there and being ready to set the hook is massive.

For open water, it's harder (but possible when there is nearly no wind) to spot your lure, but you can still use it for figuring out where structure is and where fish schools are. Last fall, for example, I spent a couple hours cruising around a lake slow trolling the bottom hoping for perch, but only ended up finding them after spotting a school on top of a 15 foot rocky submerged point that didn't even show up on lake maps. Ended up going back to the exact spot 4 separate days and catching all the perch I wanted. Without the sonar, I would have not realized that spot was there. The same spot also ended up being great for trout and is rarely fished.

Ideally you would get a flasher for ice fishing and an LCD fish finder for open water, but it's not required. The Striker 4 is a great, very cheap unit that can do double duty if you get the ice fishing bundle then also buy a separate open water transducer. I mounted mine on my kayak with a Scotty mount. For flashers, I think the Ice-35 is the best of the cheapest flashers. It has zoom and dual beam to help with fishing on drop-offs and deep water, but is known to have noise problems. Also, get yourself a Battery Tender Junior for charging the 12V batteries.
>>
>have an MH gx2 uglystik ice rod
>buddy asked to go non-ice fishing.

theres no way i can use this normally can i? i need a new rod dont i?
>>
>>1983636
You could probably pull it off if you're anchored up and jigging, but if you want to cast any decent distance, yeah, you'll need a new rod.
>>
My fish club(who own all the local fishing spots) have banned fishing till lockdown is over :(
>>
>>1983594
Everybody is different, if you’re a tournament guy you absolutely need one. And you better learn how to use it. If you are looking for one big bite a day then all you need is something to see bottom composition. Guys that look for one big fish know what to look for when you see big points, ledges, rock, and drop offs/depth. The biggest fish are gonna be where small baitfish and cover tend to be. Tournament guys need to know more area around the lake because a lot more 3 and 4 pounders are gonna be spread out. Once you find out where big fish lay you know where they are gonna be. Big fish don’t move very often because they occupy the best cover and food on the lake. If you’re traveling a lot and competing then it’s a must. Tourney guys spend money on their boats and electronics, big bait guys spend money on their lures and line.
>>
>>1982737
Daiwa strikeforce is better
>>
just curious if anyone knows or has an explanation - does maximum drag on a reel actually matter?
>>
IMPORTANT NEWS
IMPORTANT NEWS

NEW FEMBOY FISHING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mhO0uPgp7E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mhO0uPgp7E

IMPORTANT NEWS
>>
>>1983798
BASED!
>>
based

>>1983798
>>
>>1983626
Informative reply anon, Youve highlighted the conclusions I have come to.
Whats the difference betweent the different kinds of units? Are they actually different? Also what do you mean it has noise problems?
>>1983733
Not a tournament fisher just a guy with some disposable income looking to be more productive when taking trout through the ice.
Most people in ontario have them and im getting tired of drilling a ton of holes and playing the guessing game. I want to KNOW whats down there.
>>
>>1983798
I am going to watch this and hope that there is more fishing than femboy

If that is not the case I am going to be pissed at you
>>
>>1983781
Higher max drag means you can use heavier lines to fight stronger fish, but be warned that not everyone measures the same way, so the drag ratings are best used to compare reels made by the same company.
>>
>>1983798
Wasn't this faggot abused by some handler of his? Why do you circle jerk around it?
>>
>>1983594
>>1983626
>>1983733
To add to what 26 and 33 said, I would suggest considering buying a LiFePO battery for your flasher/sonar. I've got a STRIKER 4 that I use for ice fishing and to help me target deep fish when canoeing in the BWCA, and I recently replaced the SLA battery with a LiFePO. It's got better battery life and weighs half as much. It was like $60 with charger.

If I were buying again, I'd probably get a head unit with lake maps too, like a Hummingbird Helix 5 or a Livescope 6, but those are heavier/more money and if you are willing to use a phone app for Nav, you don't really need it.
>>
>>1983867
>Wasn't this faggot abused by some handler of his?
True of almost all lgblettersalad folks who aren't just attention whoring. It's largely not a choice because they reproduce through sexual abuse.
>>
>>1983880
The striker 4 looks pretty good and a reasonable price. What are they lake maps like? I usually fish fairly remote lakes that you need to hike into or portage to. Would they have maps of shit like that?
>>
>>1983928
Some do, depends on whether there's commercial demand for them. Most of the BWCA has reasonably accurate depth stadia maps to 3 or 5 feet of precision, for instance, but many easier to access bodies of water that no one wants a map for are unmapped.
>>
>>1983928
I'm sure it has them loaded or will allow you to chart your own. If not, it should. Personally, it all comes down to weight. I prefer as little weight as possible, so I got a cheap ass handheld sonar, and I'll be damned if the thing doesn't actually work. I have taken it out several times expecting regret, but where it said there were fish, I caught fish. Basically it's just looking for air bladders, and has no great detail to it, so I don't know size or anything like that, but it's less than a pound and has helped me get on fish a few times over now. It gives accurate depth readings, but little info on structure. It's good for someone working within a tight budget.
>>
>>1983937
>>1983947
I think im gonna go for the striker 4 with the little carrying case combo, Good detail and middle-ground quality and I can use it on ice or in a canoe. Also its just right size for portaging and backcountry fishing trips.
>>
>>1983955
It's a nice looking unit. I hope it gets you into some monsters. Tight lines friend.
>>
>>1983947
The Striker 4 has no ability to import maps unless you hack it. It lets you mark waypoints and bearings, tells you travel speed, and can record depth contours, but it won't give you a lake map display and can't be loaded with lake maps.

It is a nice little unit though.
>>
>>1982715
When do we get moar eps
>>
>>1983972
>>1983976
YOU anons are a couple of nice looking units. In all seriousness thanks for the advice boys looking forward to getting out soon.
>>
>>1983807
I like flashers for ice fishing mainly because of the durability. Ice fishing is hell on gear, and you don't have to worry about tossing ice crusted gear on top of a flasher. I also find them to be easier to read, more precise, and quicker to fine-tune compared to LCD units for ice fishing. LCD units are still built tough, but the screen is always a weak point if you aren't really careful with your gear. I also hear that they can have problems in extreme cold, but I haven't used them much through the ice so I can't vouch one way or the other on that. The primary advantage of an LCD unit is that their main mode is a scrolling screen which shows a history. This is much more useful over open water than through the ice as you can see what you passed over during the past 10-20 seconds. A lot of them also have GPS systems with waypoints, but I just use my phone for that on the ice. Super useful in my kayak though as I leave my phone in the car in case I dump. The Striker 4 doesn't have a lake map system which sucks, but the cheapest units with lake maps are a few hundred bucks more and you still get waypoints with the cheap one which do the job fine for marking good spots and schools.

As for the noise problems, flashers have a physical spinning arm under the outer shell. Sometimes, through wear or manufacturing defect, they make something of a buzzing sound. Mine has it pretty bad, but I am not really bothered by it at all. All brands of flashers can get it, but it seems more common with Humminbird brand ones. They will fix or replace it if you send it in within the warranty, but that also means a month or two without a flasher. Marcum and Vexilar are the classic ol' reliable brands, but their base models are clearly outdated at this point and have not been updated in an extremely long time. Humminbird is the new kid on the block, which is sad since their base model is 16 years old now but it has a clear feature advantage over the other two. (1/2)
>>
>>1984018
(2/2) Sonar transducers have a beam angle. High beam angle means it reads in a larger area around you, but you lose clarity the deeper you go and you can't see the anything near the bottom over dropoffs. Marcum base model only has a 20 degree transducer (very high) which is fine for shallower (under 60 feet) water, but go much deeper and it sucks. Vexilar has different transducer options, but you are still stuck with one unless you buy multiple transducers. Humminbird base model comes with a dual beam similar to the Striker 4, so you can use the wide beam for shallow water and flat bottoms, then switch to the narrow beam for deeper water or steep bottoms. The zoom is also unique amongst base models, and is very useful for deeper water fishing. The popular opinion is that they are less reliable than Vexilar and Marcum, but I can't really speak to that other than to note that brand worship is huge in ice fishing for some reason. I have had one for 4 years now without issue other than the noise. The ICE-35 also fits in a 5 gallon bucket, which is handy if you use those like I do.

Also, just saw you decided on the Striker 4. Definitely a good choice for a starter unit. Hopefully this can be somewhat useful if you end up going for a flasher at some point though.
>>
>>1984024
Thanks man, my idea is get one for summer and winter. I was thinking it should be enough and I shouldnt need the flasher, Do you think I will still need one? I usually ice fish for splake and lakers so I should be able to hit deep water and shallow with the dual beam thing you were talking about.
>>
File: Screenshot (53).png (1.52 MB, 1440x900)
1.52 MB
1.52 MB PNG
>>1984015
I love this forum, but I'm not a great contributor. I can definitely give help on how to do stuff on a tight budget. I have modified a cheap paddle board into a fishing paddle board/kayak over 5 years to be able to travel and launch wherever I can. It's been a journey worth taking.
>>
>>1984025
I would say go with the Striker 4 for a year and if you still have money burning a hole in your pocket next winter think about trying a flasher. What you are getting is a massive upgrade over no sonar no matter what and I know a lot of people are happy with it for ice fishing. Getting a second unit might be nice, but it would be some seriously diminishing returns for the money. If you know anybody who ice fishes, chances are they have a flasher you could try out to see what you are or are not missing.

Also just to get something out of the way, you should know how drop-offs work on sonar if you are laker fishing. Basically, the sonar will be reading the highest bottom within its cone as the bottom. This means on a drop-off, it might be reading the bottom as 10 feet above what it actually is directly below you since it reads a large area around you in a cone. Because of this, you will either be fishing well off the bottom and seeing your lure and fish, or will be fishing blind in the "dead zone" on the bottom if you are on the drop off itself. It's much easier to find the exact top edge of the drop-off and fish that as there will be no dead zone, but sometimes the fish are on the edge or bottom of the drop off so you might need to fish semi-blind at times despite the sonar. I believe the lower beam setting on the Striker is equivalent to a lower degree beam on a flasher, so it should work better on drop-offs.
>>
>>1984025
Also just a heads up, make sure you are getting the version that comes with the ice transducer like on their website. The amazon one doesn't. You are going to want both if you are using it for ice and open water. The ice kit is only slightly more expensive than the carrying kit with open water transducer, but the ice transducer is a lot more expensive when sold seperately.
>>
hey lads, my buddy got my one of these rods to stick in my pack for campin.
my questions are:
>is this thing any good?
>what kind of line would be best to set and forget?
>what would be a decent spinner reel size for no larger than 25 pound fish?
ill be honest im not that well versed on fishing but this oddball has me intrigued,
salt water btw
>>
>>1984065
I'm reading up on this thing now. I have never heard of it.
>>
>>1984033
Based paddleboard fishing anon
>>1984038
Yeah I think the striker 4 will be good for a long while. Im fairly young and at the stage in my life where I have a decent job and income, not burning a hole in my pocket exactly but I can afford a fun little toy like this especially when it seems so worth it for how much I go.
>>1984051
What transducer do I need for this? Because I thought the "Dual-Beam" one it comes with is good for ice and open water in summer.
Where can I find the ice kit? that would be dope If I could get it all in one
>>
File: 1610742946_6491044.png (819 KB, 649x1044)
819 KB
819 KB PNG
First fish of the year baby.
>>
>>1983886
>True of almost all lgblettersalad folks who aren't just attention whoring. It's largely not a choice because they reproduce through sexual abuse.
imagine unironically believing this
>>
>>1982737
save up and get a Penn Slammer like an adult
>>
>>1984093
Better than no first fish of the year. You knocked the skunk off. Is the guy from last night? 80F but rough surf dude?
>>
>>1984116
Yeah, caught about a dozen barred surf perch in a 3 hour session. 3 of them about hand size, the rest super dinks.
>>
>>1984077
weird right?
>>
>>1984121
Nice. Sounds like it was worth the trip. I took a minute on my lunch to cast around a local pond today, but got nothing. The temp was OK, but it's plummeting. It even snowed a bit. Glad to hear you followed through, and thanks for sharing.
>>
>>1984126
It's pretty solid. It's rated for fish up to 50lbs, so it's got some backbone for its size. Some people go smaller on the reel, but I would probably go 3000, 3500 size at the largest. It all depends on preference really. It seems like it would take some getting used to.
>>
>>1984130
thanks! what kind of line would be good if id be abusive towards it? not that i would but itll be going in my pack with other shit.
>>
>>1984084
Just buy the ice bundle (part number 010-01550-10 unless you want the slightly upgraded 4CV) and then add the kayak transducer later. They sell several different transducers that fit this unit so buy the one with the features you want once you've used it a little.
>>
File: PXL_20201226_123251493.jpg (3.85 MB, 4032x3024)
3.85 MB
3.85 MB JPG
>>1983594
Spend on a nice unit. Overall I'm happy with my Lowrance but wish I'd bought a smaller, higher quality unit for the same money. Big screens are nice but not necessary, and my unit sometimes freezes or gives weird readings and I can spend 5 minutes plus rebooting it if I'm hole hopping. No problems in the canoe. Despite issues I can't imagine fishing without it. Side imaging/downscan are sometimes helpful but honestly I would go without no problem.
>>
>>1984065
Why not get a tenkara rod? I know big tough guys on here knock it but its incredibly efficient and really relaxing.
>>
>>1984150
>but wish I'd bought a smaller, higher quality unit for the same money.
Like what?
>>
>>1984154
Garmin or humminbird. They all criss-cross on patents and IP, licensing it to each other, which is half the reason these units are so fucking expensive, but I think Lowrance is generally considered the "cheap" option for good reason. I spent like 300 some for this on sale, where an equivalent 'bird is 500 so I'm not complaining, but if your budget is 500, spend it.
>>
>>1984133
I'd probably go braid with either a steel or fluoro leader. If you're going after toothy fish, go steel. You can get 50lb Braid with 10lb diameter, so that could work. Maybe go a little heavier just to be safe?

>>1984152
Tenkara is interesting, but it would not be very fun on fish close to 25lbs. The set ups are too expensive for their overall payout as well. I dropped $10 on a 13 foot B&M Black Widow and use it in a similar fashion to catch bait though, and damn it's fun. Having no reel makes even small fish a challenge, but it makes big fish a near impossibility. If I had the money, I would probably buy one and try it. It's definitely zen-like.
>>
>>1984084
Both the open water and ice fishing transducer are dual beam. The open water transducer is meant to be mounted on a boat with a bolt and fits Scotty arm mounts for kayaks and canoes. The ice transducer has a float and is meant to hang directly down into the hole. You can just use an open water transducer for both if you want to save the money, but it can be annoying trying to set it up for ice fishing. I managed to get it working with my kayak arm mount attached to a bucket with a rope in some shitty arrangement when I needed a guest sonar but it wasn't great and had some serious "drop down the hole" hazard going on.

I have been shopping around and it seems the cheapest way to get the carrying case plus both transducers is to get the portable kit plus cover on Amazon, then buy the ice transducer for $80 on the Garmin site. Sadly, 2-3 week shipping for the transducer so you would need to find a way to get the open water transducer working through the ice for those weeks. Alternatively just get the ice fishing kit from the Garmin website, but it would pan out to around $20-30 more overall once you buy the open water transducer and still has the 2-3 week shipping.

And yeah, remember that this is a cheap and basic sonar. By far the best one for the price IMO, but if you want to put down the extra money you can get some extra features. Good resale value if you decide to upgrade at some point, too.
>>
What's better overall fishing with lures, telescopic rod or 4 piece rod?
>>
>>1984165
I landed a 4lb small mouth a Dragontail mizuchi. Fun as hell. What kind of fish weight 25lbs where you are camping? I go backpacking a fish for brook trout almost every weekend which is where the tenkara rod is ideal.
>>
>>1984167
I got you senpai. A local shop has an Ice fishing striker4 Im gonna take a look maybe even see if there is a slightly nicer model.
>>
>>1984165
thank you for all the help anon!
>>
File: 20210115_182605.jpg (1.64 MB, 1960x2528)
1.64 MB
1.64 MB JPG
Dubs for good luck on the new recon rod
>>
>>1982598
anyone here have experience speargun fishing? im going in st thomas in feb
>>
>>1984242
rollin for you
>>
>>1984230
i heard that as a general rule, telescopic rods are only good if you drop over $120
>>
>>1984230
4 piece
>>
>>1984235
I'm in the South, but the anon with the interesting rod mentioned he would be fishing saltwater and could be catching fish up to 25 lbs. I fish wherever I can, and don't have many options for trout, aside from brown and speckled trout, sadly. I mainly use my poor man's Tenkara for panfish, but have had all sorts of fish bite the flies I tie on.
>>1984240
I wasn't helpful unless it works for you, but all I can tell you is what I'd do. I hope it works.
>>1984242
Roll
>>
>>1984242
Slant dubs but not quite. Rolling
>>1984230
4 piece by far
>>
>>1982715
What manga?
>>
>>1984319

Not positive but it looks like Houkago Teibou Nisshi to me. If I'm correct there is also an anime.
>>
>>1984340
You are correct on both counts.

>>1984319
https://mangadex.org/title/36258/houkago-teibou-nisshi
>>
File: PXL_20210114_214539683.jpg (2.6 MB, 4032x3024)
2.6 MB
2.6 MB JPG
Got my old sonar, obviously not working. Light works, but transducer might be dead, won't read anything in water but if you run it on your skin dial lights up, not sure what that means. Any electronics experts among us?
>>
File: 1609392646590.jpg (56 KB, 695x694)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>all my flyshit from ebay came in
>cabelas so far has sent 1 single box of flies that shipped from manufacturer
>a whole ass week later and 0 word on my reel, lines, and rest of my flies
its ok cabelas, my $200 of shit can come in when you feel like it
>>
>>1984420
It's probably back ordered and they were trying to ninja it back in stock before you noticed the delay, or it could be stuck in shipping hell. Shippers are struggling hard right now. It sucks either way. Dubs and they arrive tomorrow, and 1984242 gets a big fish first time out with his new gear.
>>
>>1984507
Shoot. I tried.
>>
File: Screenshot_83.png (1.4 MB, 1589x793)
1.4 MB
1.4 MB PNG
thinking about getting this lads, anyone handle one?

https://www.tenkararodco.com/collections/frontpage/products/the-beartooth-rod-package
>>
>>1984507
rolling for dubs so anon gets his shit tomorrow.
if dubs i do too.
>>
>>1984242
I heard the new recons suck anon. No metal rod case, cheaper reel seat and cork, weighs more than the old model, unsanded blank. Rip in peace brother you fell for the orvis Jew.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.