[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 34 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

#374-“Dubz” Edition

Previous Thread:
>>1976312

Thinking about picking up a new hobby? Want to get a memecaster? Haven't mastered the Palomar knot? Click here!
http://www.pastebin.com/u/fishingandtackle
https://imgur.com/a/1Xw3N

First for best telescopic rod is the one you exchanged for a 3pc.

Talk about fishin
>>
>>1982598
Does the boat matter for fishing? I have an inflatable kayak and don’t want to scare fishies
>>
>>1982601
what do you mean?
>>
>>1982601
Loud boats can scare fish, so can reflective ones. The noise doesn't have to be noise we hear, it can be lower frequency stuff the feel on their lateral line. Some noises can attract fish too, I know a guy who changed his kicker motor from a 2 blade to a 3 blade prop and went from mostly catching pike to mostly catching bass.

Not all fish will react the same to all of this, and some don't give a shit at all. You'll probably be fine.
>>
>>1982601
There’s a reason trolling motors exist I think. Little inflatable boat can’t be worse than a moving shadow right on the shore or a bass boat.
>>
File: PXL_20210113_230006385.jpg (3.45 MB, 4032x3024)
3.45 MB
3.45 MB JPG
Prototyping an ice fishing sled, even though I'm not sure if under new Ontario lockdown fishing is a crime.
>>
>>1982644
They plywood is gonna soak and it will break down in no time.
>>
File: 20210113_183402.jpg (2.46 MB, 3264x2448)
2.46 MB
2.46 MB JPG
Accidentally posted in the old thread
>be me
>go fishing
>new spot.png
>dont catch anything but it looks like a promising location
>intend to return in spring
>also found a piece of petrified wood
>pic related
I've had worse days fishing.
>/blogpost
>>
>>1982662
Prototype, boss. Free leftover material from work cut out in 5 minutes on the CNC just to see if I like the size/shape.
>>
>>1982644
>>1982662
>>1982676
Marine plywood and a sealer would actually be good, although 3/4 inch or whatever that is is too thick, but yeah that MDF flimflam shit is not ideal.
>>
>>1982678
This is 16mm particle board, final one will be 12mm Baltic plywood. It will last. Calculated it will weigh less than 20lbs.
>>
>>1982683
Tbh you could got 10mm or even 8 and still keep it strong enough. Put a seat and legs on the back so you can tip it up and use it as a windbreak.
>>
>>1982694
12 is real thin without fiberglass or metal bracing which I'm not looking to do. Keeping it simple. I'm going to put a bar on it so I can push it like a shopping cart, ride it like a dog sled or pull it like a pulk, and just carry a pop out if weather calls for shelter.
>>
File: nissi1.jpg (80 KB, 612x514)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
japanese fishing schoolgirls are the best
>>
>>1982715
Ohno's Ohnos...
>>
Looking for a new 9 wt. Been seeing some Helios 2 rods on eBay. Anyone fish one of these I’ve heard good reviews. Looking for a cannon for blasting shooting line.
>>
File: s-l1000.jpg (79 KB, 1000x1000)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
Is there a better reel for the value? No 20$ reel compares to the ROX-20.
>>
>>1982737
>plastic gear chinkshit
not even as a joke
>>
>>1982737
meh, if it were me, i would just get a daiwa BG and never have to worry about a reel again
>>
>>1982743
What makes it worth spending so much money on ?
>>
>>1982744
trusted brand, i can put a little more trust into the parts, especially things like the drag and its ability to not corrode or wear over time, and i just like it more. gives me the tism tingles
>>
>>1982740
Lol your always saying that about every reel.
>>
>>1982744
Having it work, like new, for as long as you care to maintain it.
>>
>>1982743
>>1982744
>>1982746
>>1982760
>>1982761
Just get a pflueger president and be done with it. Not sure why spin fags buy anything else.
>>
>>1982764
meh, i cant complain. i got my 2500 BG during a christmas sale for like $70, so i may as well have got that over a president. plusthe reviews ive seen for the president seem to have a lot of defective reels shipped out and i didnt want to risk that
>>
>>1982764
I've got a President, a Supreme, and a couple of Shimanos. I think I like the Sahara more than the President, and the Supreme more than the NASCI.
>>
>>1982764
Shimano fx is 20$ and lasts forever.
>>
Am I range banned here as well? If not, here's a stunner of a crappie. No record breaker, but a pound and a half and amazing pattern/color. I let this one go back to make more. The picture doesn't do justice.
>>
>>1982817
Very pretty.
>>
>>1982818
Thanks! :) I tried my luck last Saturday and managed to pull a 1 lb bass out, but nothing else. It was nice to put my hands on one though.
>>
>>1982601
I've fished out of all sorts of inflatables. Use what you have and adapt as need be. If you want to try out different techniques or equipment, try to find easy water to field test it and go from there. Carry your manual pump and patches with you and some extra glue never hurts.
>>
>-20c and windy
spicy fishing trip
>>
Fuck I didn’t get a chance to reply, but braid gives me the ability to have two rods in one. I can fish a jig in open water and throw a swimbait , and if there’s a a ton of grass I can cut the leader and fish a frog or go flipping and pitching. Switching over to braid cut the amount of rods in my boat by half. I fish out of a 14ft Jon boat and I only bring 3 rods with me. A medium spinning rod for drop shorting and wacky worms. A medium heavy for cranks and reaction baits. And a heavy for flipping, frogging and swim jigs. The only reason I’d would switch over to flouro is if I was fishing around rock and docks. If you have a lot of grass and weeds like I do, switch over to braid to a leader. If you get around grass cut that shit off and saw your way through that shit. I wish I had learned that earlier.
>>
File: 20210113_110550.jpg (395 KB, 1395x1046)
395 KB
395 KB JPG
>>
File: 0109211525_resize_42.jpg (1.24 MB, 1200x900)
1.24 MB
1.24 MB JPG
Trout fishing is best fishing. Not even mad I got skunked. It was just a good day to be outside.
>>
>>1983107
Tubbies on this board cant hike to go brook trout fishing anon. It's a blessing to nothing but the babbling brooks to fish at.
>>
>>1982817
I would fuck that fish
>>
>>1982598
that chick looks absolutely disgusted to be holding a fish.
>>
>>1983278
She is awfully sexy.
>>
>>1983292
>If you only knew how bad things really are.
>>
Winter
>>
>>1983292
>>1983341
Well maybe if she did something she enjoys instead of a niche that gets you the most likes on instagram she would be smiling.
>>
>>1983351
That doesn't get clicks friend. She probably drove by, saw someone getting hero shots of the fish, wanted to get her Insta pic, then realized mid snap that fish smell like fish. I have 3 years of videos I have been taking on my excursions, and firstly, I haven't uploaded them anywhere. Secondly, I am in none of my videos, because why would I be? I started doing it to share the beauty of the things I see while wandering. Who wants nature to be obscured by my ugly mug taking up 1/3 of the screen?
>>
>>1983379
Hell, she may be cool and pulled a face at the last moment. The makeup gives me pause though. Not a lot of real outdoorsy chicks want to put their face on before going out and getting messy.
>>
Remember boys even if it’s cold, windy, and raining you gotta get out there.
>>
>>1983386
Big surf but 80F tomorrow, I'm sending it.
>>
>>1983388
Kayak fisherman, or boat? Jealous of 80 degree weather, I must say. I'm in the South, but it's only in the 50s right now, and I fished in the snow last weekend.
>>
>>1983393
Shore pounding, no waders though so I'm not trying to get wet if its cold.
>>
>>1983107
That’s a good looking spot
>>
File: PXL_20210114_215306827.jpg (598 KB, 756x1008)
598 KB
598 KB JPG
Huh, turns out there's crappie in my local lake. Neat.
>>
File: Screenshot (108).png (1.17 MB, 1440x900)
1.17 MB
1.17 MB PNG
>>1983408
Sounds fun to me. Hope you catch big. Salt or Fresh? I'm stuck in fresh, but
hit the salt whenever I can. It's my preference if I have a choice.
>>1983472
Pretty
>>
File: røktlaks.png (370 KB, 590x393)
370 KB
370 KB PNG
How do you guys eat your fish? If you go for big salmon, you should always go for a place that can make smoked salmon. Perfect in sandwiches with mustard sauce.
>>
Just caught my first swimbait fish on the Klash 9. I was not expecting a 4lb small mouth to hit it.
>>
>>1983381
some do. i have a cousin that won't go muddin' without putting her face on first.
>>
>>1983381
She knew she was going fishing and that if she caught a fish she would have to take a picture with it so she prepared for that eventuality.
>>
All lead/heavy metals used in tackle should be banned. All soft plastic baits should degrade after 1-2 years left in the environment. This is non negotiable.
>>
>>1983499
I've never tried one of those, but that's a promising introduction to a lure. Beautiful smallie.
>>
>>1983522
It's good to have a stance, but do you have a solution?
>>
>>1983522
Lead is fine stop being a baby. Oh no not the loons haha come on man.
>>
File: trout (2).jpg (3.64 MB, 4032x2268)
3.64 MB
3.64 MB JPG
>>1983386
>liquid water
>cold
>>
>>1983538
There are companies making biodegradable baits, and it's possible to make small weights from steel and big weights from some sort of reinforced cement
>>
>>1983558
Bad take friend, I would rather it be 10 degrees and snowing than it be 34 degree and raining
>>
>>1983563
Can't say I agree with that, but you do you I guess.
>>
>>1983568
Let me simplify it, dry cold maybe actually colder than wet cold, but wet cold always feel colder than dry cold.
>>
>>1983534
It’s a crazy lure, it comes with a lip that is removable that turns it into a glide bait, with the lip in it’s a crank bait and the tail switches up and down and you can turn it into a giant jerk bait. It’s almost impossible to get right now for retail price. It took me a few weeks testing out the different ways to fish it before I got a bite
>>
>>1983522
i agree completely. i wish these big amazon tesla corporations would stop making lead in factories and sweatshops
>>
Redpill me on fishfinders/sonar? I wanna buy my first one for ice fishing and canoe use in the summer for around $500 or less but know nothing about them
>>
>>1983588
Pretty awesome. I'll definitely be checking that out.
>>
>>1983538

There are companies that make biodegradable baits, but the current issue is that the patents for best performing biodegradable plastics are held by the likes of DOW and other big bois. They will not let you use those patents cheaply or at all, so most bio bait manufacturers have to come up with their own formulas (which aren't quite as good or cheap, there is only so many ways you can arrange the chemicals for the properties you want and the big corps got the low hanging fruit a long time ago). This is perhaps one of the very few times where I think the power of government can actually make a positive difference.

The plan:
> Regulate the baits to be biodegradable within reasonable parameters to balance performance with the intended goal
Option 1:
> Approach patent holders with a deal; let these other bait companies liscence your patent on a shall issue basis (only for bait) for below market value and we let you make some money
Option 2:
> "Eminent domain" the patents as too important for the public good, compensate the patent holders with "fair market value"
Option 3:
> Fuck your intellectual property rights, this is too important to the (literal and metaphysical) health of the nation and the public good, every bait maker can use these X patents freely

Plenty of great options to lead already exist, maybe offer some sort of rebate/trade in program for old lead tackle.
>>
>>1983614
Cool. Make it happen. I don't disagree with you at all. A lot of people also cast their own weights and mold their own plastics though. Lead is so readily available that it's basically free if you know where to look, and plastics are used in so many other applications that it's going to be hard to make them unavailable. You're taking on more than just the fishing industry. The only option is a cheaper and better alternative not owned by someone else. It would sell itself if you can pull it off. I would be open to try alternatives.
>>
File: thicc perch.jpg (154 KB, 1375x888)
154 KB
154 KB JPG
>>1983594
They are extremely useful for ice fishing. Through the ice you can always see your lure/bait, any fish that comes cruising by, and get an idea of how they are reacting to your setup. If a lot of fish come by but ignore your lures, time to switch up your presentation. No fish coming by? Time to move. Whole lot of tiny marks on the bottom? Size down and get a limit of perch. The perch school suddenly disappears and there is just a giant mark sitting there? Drop down something big and flashy quick and catch a predator. You would also be surprised at how often fish come by well off the bottom and you can quickly reel up to meet them. Ignoring all that, the simple advantage of knowing when a fish is down there and being ready to set the hook is massive.

For open water, it's harder (but possible when there is nearly no wind) to spot your lure, but you can still use it for figuring out where structure is and where fish schools are. Last fall, for example, I spent a couple hours cruising around a lake slow trolling the bottom hoping for perch, but only ended up finding them after spotting a school on top of a 15 foot rocky submerged point that didn't even show up on lake maps. Ended up going back to the exact spot 4 separate days and catching all the perch I wanted. Without the sonar, I would have not realized that spot was there. The same spot also ended up being great for trout and is rarely fished.

Ideally you would get a flasher for ice fishing and an LCD fish finder for open water, but it's not required. The Striker 4 is a great, very cheap unit that can do double duty if you get the ice fishing bundle then also buy a separate open water transducer. I mounted mine on my kayak with a Scotty mount. For flashers, I think the Ice-35 is the best of the cheapest flashers. It has zoom and dual beam to help with fishing on drop-offs and deep water, but is known to have noise problems. Also, get yourself a Battery Tender Junior for charging the 12V batteries.
>>
>have an MH gx2 uglystik ice rod
>buddy asked to go non-ice fishing.

theres no way i can use this normally can i? i need a new rod dont i?
>>
>>1983636
You could probably pull it off if you're anchored up and jigging, but if you want to cast any decent distance, yeah, you'll need a new rod.
>>
My fish club(who own all the local fishing spots) have banned fishing till lockdown is over :(
>>
>>1983594
Everybody is different, if you’re a tournament guy you absolutely need one. And you better learn how to use it. If you are looking for one big bite a day then all you need is something to see bottom composition. Guys that look for one big fish know what to look for when you see big points, ledges, rock, and drop offs/depth. The biggest fish are gonna be where small baitfish and cover tend to be. Tournament guys need to know more area around the lake because a lot more 3 and 4 pounders are gonna be spread out. Once you find out where big fish lay you know where they are gonna be. Big fish don’t move very often because they occupy the best cover and food on the lake. If you’re traveling a lot and competing then it’s a must. Tourney guys spend money on their boats and electronics, big bait guys spend money on their lures and line.
>>
>>1982737
Daiwa strikeforce is better
>>
just curious if anyone knows or has an explanation - does maximum drag on a reel actually matter?
>>
IMPORTANT NEWS
IMPORTANT NEWS

NEW FEMBOY FISHING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mhO0uPgp7E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mhO0uPgp7E

IMPORTANT NEWS
>>
>>1983798
BASED!
>>
based

>>1983798
>>
>>1983626
Informative reply anon, Youve highlighted the conclusions I have come to.
Whats the difference betweent the different kinds of units? Are they actually different? Also what do you mean it has noise problems?
>>1983733
Not a tournament fisher just a guy with some disposable income looking to be more productive when taking trout through the ice.
Most people in ontario have them and im getting tired of drilling a ton of holes and playing the guessing game. I want to KNOW whats down there.
>>
>>1983798
I am going to watch this and hope that there is more fishing than femboy

If that is not the case I am going to be pissed at you
>>
>>1983781
Higher max drag means you can use heavier lines to fight stronger fish, but be warned that not everyone measures the same way, so the drag ratings are best used to compare reels made by the same company.
>>
>>1983798
Wasn't this faggot abused by some handler of his? Why do you circle jerk around it?
>>
>>1983594
>>1983626
>>1983733
To add to what 26 and 33 said, I would suggest considering buying a LiFePO battery for your flasher/sonar. I've got a STRIKER 4 that I use for ice fishing and to help me target deep fish when canoeing in the BWCA, and I recently replaced the SLA battery with a LiFePO. It's got better battery life and weighs half as much. It was like $60 with charger.

If I were buying again, I'd probably get a head unit with lake maps too, like a Hummingbird Helix 5 or a Livescope 6, but those are heavier/more money and if you are willing to use a phone app for Nav, you don't really need it.
>>
>>1983867
>Wasn't this faggot abused by some handler of his?
True of almost all lgblettersalad folks who aren't just attention whoring. It's largely not a choice because they reproduce through sexual abuse.
>>
>>1983880
The striker 4 looks pretty good and a reasonable price. What are they lake maps like? I usually fish fairly remote lakes that you need to hike into or portage to. Would they have maps of shit like that?
>>
>>1983928
Some do, depends on whether there's commercial demand for them. Most of the BWCA has reasonably accurate depth stadia maps to 3 or 5 feet of precision, for instance, but many easier to access bodies of water that no one wants a map for are unmapped.
>>
>>1983928
I'm sure it has them loaded or will allow you to chart your own. If not, it should. Personally, it all comes down to weight. I prefer as little weight as possible, so I got a cheap ass handheld sonar, and I'll be damned if the thing doesn't actually work. I have taken it out several times expecting regret, but where it said there were fish, I caught fish. Basically it's just looking for air bladders, and has no great detail to it, so I don't know size or anything like that, but it's less than a pound and has helped me get on fish a few times over now. It gives accurate depth readings, but little info on structure. It's good for someone working within a tight budget.
>>
>>1983937
>>1983947
I think im gonna go for the striker 4 with the little carrying case combo, Good detail and middle-ground quality and I can use it on ice or in a canoe. Also its just right size for portaging and backcountry fishing trips.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.