[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 22 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: external.jpg (102 KB, 848x1500)
102 KB
102 KB JPG
Is anybody using one of these? Who would you recommend them to? Which models are good? Looking for an external frame for backpacking - I live in the desert so the extra draft on the back would be a blessing, and I plan to carry gear that I don't want to rummage around for.
>>
>>1980906
also alternatively does anyone have experience with Hill People Gear? I see them shilled a lot but I don't know if they are actually any good for the price.
>>
>>1980906
I think you may want to rethink the rummage part. Lashed things will be more inaccessible than things in a pack.
>>
>>1980908
HPG is among the best. What pack are you looking at?
>>
File: 1586782382681.jpg (441 KB, 828x820)
441 KB
441 KB JPG
What's the reasoning for external frame vs internal anyway? Like, why would you want one over the other?
>>
>>1980912
I was thinking either the Ute or Qui-Ya with a couple attachments from their other products. Some of the stuff I read about the harness being cumbersome under light loads has me questioning whether to go for it - plus the stays don't really seem as stable as an external frame

>>1980911
I was hoping to combine a pack/pouches with some exterior stuff lashed on. is the only advantage of the external frame weight distribution?

I should note I'm pretty much a rank amateur, the only backpacks I've used the few times I've been on the trail have been rented or loaned so I can't really speak to what works for me.

I basically am looking for something that is modular and that I could adapt for field recording equipment, a bug out bag, long backpacking trips, or just an overnighter.
>>
>>1980926
I use the UTE mostly. It's fine with a light load. The external pockets are nice. I use a Terapocket. They aren't light.
These packs handle heavy loads the best I've tried.
If you want something lighter there's Stone Glacier too.
>>
>>1980934
thank you for the info! do you find the stays to be pretty comfortable/effective on the Ute?
>>
>>1980957
Once you get them shaped I don't notice them.
>>
>>1980926
I would say hpg and stone glacier and seek outside are right up the alley of what u are looking for. I was researching a heavy load modular pack and there is just so much to account for and it’s big money . Still havent decided.
>>
>>1980925
External frame packs allow you to pack a load higher, keeping it more in line with your center of gravity. You can’t do this with an internal frame; they require a larger, heavier load has to be worn further from your center of gravity. Obviously anything further from your center of gravity is harder to carry.

Internal frame packs are lighter, and are designed for smaller loads. Because the load will be low and close, they are more ergonomic over rough terrain. When everyone was using externals in the 90’s the only internal frame packs you could find where “technical bags,” made for rock climbing.

So which is better depends on the size and weight of your crap as well as what your doing. If it’s small and light you don’t really benefit much from an external frame pack. If you’re going over moderate or difficult terrain an external frame might try to toss you off balance.
>>
>>1981013
Outdated info and tech. See HPG and SG internal frames.
>>
>>1981015
Please show one (1) internal frame pack that allows a large portion of the carried weight to be placed above the wearers neck.
>>
>>1981018
Go to Instagram and look at all the pictures of hunters carrying a fucking moose head with the antlers over the hunters head with SG and HPG packs. SG especially becouse of the Meat Eater show.
>>
>>1981020
Yeah, and you can haul a sofa on top of a Toyota Yaris. It’s not designed for it and there are better options.
>>
>>1981020
SG is external frame tho?
>>
>>1981013
The external frame packs have evolved past kelty.
>>
>>1981027
They are literally made for hunting and doing that shit... It's done for show whether you have a internal or external frame pack.
>>
>>1981028
The ones used in Meat Eater and the Talus are internal frames. Are you two dumb or baiting?
>>
>>1981030
Ok?

The load your carrying is still inline with your center of gravity on easily traversed terrain but creating greater leverage when on moderate or difficult terrain. It doesn’t matter what kind of new technology is being used; it’s a fundamental concept of the design.
>>
>>1981020
>SG and HPG packs.
LARP sacks
>>
>>1981059
I said the word guis! I said it! Look look look!
>>
>>1981049
What? They The carry the weight in the same place as internal frames. Not high up like Kelty Which was what u were referencing in your post and other threads about this topic
>>
>>1981032
>>1981032
You can buy juat the frame. The pack detaches from it. Are u retarded? If anything theyre a hybrid
>>
>>1981032
You are just retarded
>>
>>1980906
Where i live there's several old external frames with bags available at second hand store for $15-20. Look in your area and try them on.
>>
>>1981070
>>1981073
The Talus bag isn't detachable along with the Ski and others. As I said. You two have to be idiots. Those frames are meant to be used as is or with their modular bags.
>>
I like external frame packs. I just think they're neat.
>>
>>1981095
Just admit you are wrong dude
>>
>>1981437
Go watch the video on how it's put together or keep being autistic about it. If that's external then so is HPG.
>>
>>1980906
I paid 200€ for my Tatonka frame set, was a good deal but I wouldn't pay more for a backpack.
>>
>>1981074
This.

you can also make your own.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5fRTKRYPIQ
>>
>>1980906
Idk, I use a surplus army rucksack that I think is technically an external frame, but it's made of plastic and pretty unobtrusive. Its actually very comfy in my opinion, and theyre like $70 online. Plus they fit a lot of shit easily. If you're balling on a budget it's a great option. I guess you could also try to find an old ALICE pack or something if you want to go really old school too.
>>
>>1981439
It is an external frame. Hpg decker looks to be external frame as well. Don’ care that much but I can buy the sg frame and strap whatever i want to it and it can function as a backpack.
>>
>>1980911
>what is using a decent knot
>>1980925
external frames distribute weight more evenly, last way longer, have far more flexible uses, and look cool as fuck while you're at it.
>bbbut muh polyester stuffsack 3000
internal packs are good for /out/lings; if you're experienced going /out/ externals are by far the best bang for your buck.
also you can get decent secondhand externals for like 10 bucks if you're okay with markings and shit on them. pic related had "rental #10" written on it, so I was able to snag it for $7. i'm planning on just sewing a loop field over the writing
>>
File: Screenshot (22).png (265 KB, 665x578)
265 KB
265 KB PNG
>>1982806
fuck me forgot to add pic
>>
>>1982806
Post external pack. I have two and one i made myself
>>
>>1982846
my last one got ran over, and the frame was fucked. it was secondhand as well, so I figured i'd just find another that seemed nice. i'm pretty sure it was jansport brand from the 80s?
>>1982807
this is the new pack I found on ebay, you can see the fabric marker lettering on the top. usps is fucked rn so it's shipping a few weeks late
>>
File: Screenshot (24).png (239 KB, 318x405)
239 KB
239 KB PNG
>>1982846
the frame is in perfect condition, which offsets the $37 price/shipping fee on its own since relatively modern frames and hip belts sell in the $60+ range pretty easily
one grommet on the shoulder strap needs replacing but that takes like 5 minutes and is pretty fun to do anyways
>>
File: Screenshot (23).png (1.01 MB, 846x626)
1.01 MB
1.01 MB PNG
>>1982846
this is the annoying part, i'll need to figure out exactly how I want to cover that ugly shit up
i'm probably gonna start a gear mod general thread once I've got the free time to take a crack at it
>>
File: 20210114_205757.jpg (3.65 MB, 4608x3456)
3.65 MB
3.65 MB JPG
>>1982890
>>1982892
That pack is like a more modern version of this old hallmark everest pack, i like it
>>
File: 20210114_205814.jpg (3.77 MB, 4608x3456)
3.77 MB
3.77 MB JPG
>>1982904
>>
>>1982904
that's a really cool pack, I've always been a fan of earth tones over the bright neon or tacticool camo shit you see all over nowadays
>>
>>1982905
how long have you been using that one? certainly looks like its been around the block a few times
>>
>>1982915
I use it for hunting/hiking it was given to me by a guy who did deer culling back in 80s before live capture was big, so its pretty old, at least 30 years
>>
>>1982883
>>1982890
>>1982892
>>1982904
>>1982905
So you aren’t lashing anything to it. My original response was to a guy who was contemplating lashing everything to a frame like a bedroll.
>>
File: 1610044725583.jpg (125 KB, 1536x864)
125 KB
125 KB JPG
does this count as external frame?
>>
>>1980906
i use my old ALICE frame to carry my stove for my lavvu
>>
>>1983221
I-
what?
it's not packed you dumbfuck
>>1983233
checked, and yes it does but you'll look ridiculous wearing that thing around
>>
>>1983459
Without a bag. He thought it would be easier having no bag and a frame and everything lashed to it because rummaging was annoying
You said learn knots
I said post packs
You posted packs with bags
>>
>>1983475
are you talking about op? >>1980906 because most modern frames make you buy an aftermarket pack. i'm not him but i'd assume he wasn't planning on lashing a fucking spork to his frame. being able to lash jackets and tarps outside is way easier than stuffing it all into an internal, and keeping them on the frame below the pack keeps your stuff dry when they're wet
>>
File: 1610045027906.png (285 KB, 1173x876)
285 KB
285 KB PNG
>>1983459
will it look less riduculous if i get the mossy oak version?
>>
File: image0.jpg (1.79 MB, 3024x4032)
1.79 MB
1.79 MB JPG
>>1983552
I've never appreciated chair packs, since they tip over when fully packed, and they add a lot of moving parts (read: failure points) for no real benefit.
If you want a camp stool with your external frame, get a pic related and just lash it horizontally to your frame. it will weigh less that an incorporated chair since it's less total frame/tubing material, and then you'll have a quality pack that lasts and a chair that doesn't weigh 40 pounds.
last note: don't buy camo if you're not hunting and care about looking decent. people who casually wear stick camo around are usually pretty off putting, personally I stick to muted solid colors.
>>
I'm in the market for a new pack and I've narrowed my list down to a Seek Outside Unaweep or Divide (not sure about the split setup yet), an Arc'teryx Bora, or a Hyperlite Northrim or Porter. Maybe an XPac ULA Catalyst. My priorities are durability, weatherproofness, and load carriage over rough terrain.

>Because the load will be low and close, they are more ergonomic over rough terrain. When everyone was using externals in the 90’s the only internal frame packs you could find where “technical bags,” made for rock climbing.

This is basically what's giving me pause. The Arc'teryx has a fancy internal suspension that's designed to move with you and supposedly is excellent for that. The Hyperlite wins on the durability and water resistance, but has the least heavy duty suspension. The Seek Outsides seem like very well set up packs, VX42 might be as durable but as woven Dyneema but it'll match the Arc'teryx, being able to use the external frame to haul random shit appeals to me and I know it can carry the weight... I just don't know how the handling is going to be, especially compared to the Arc'teryx while picking or scrambling my way over uneven ground. Anyone here used any of these, especially the SO, in a situation like this and have input?
>>
>>1982892
Oh dude, this is a gem. You can’t cover up the graffiti, it’s brilliant. Workaday look without have to fraud your way into it, like surplus gear or something secondhand with somebody’s name on it. A simple hint at a story you can’t really tell but anyone can guess at. It’s an affected look without trying to affect a look, a posers dream. Not that I am calling you any more a poser than myself, as I too run a cheap and extremely out of date pack with suboptimal padding that is almost as old as I am, and largely because it’s cool.
>>
>>1983266
ALICE PACK OPERATORS ARE BOOSTED. Get the LC2 load shelf. Super useful bit.
>>
>>1983221
Oh nah dude, no idea what you were on about, i saw that dudes cool retro pack, and had a lil show and tell of my cool retro pack
>>
>>1983701
huh. I've been on the fence for awhile, and hearing it put that way I think i'll keep it as is
there's something special about old gear that draws me away from the latest high tech gadgetry,and it's good to hear there's like minded people out there.
>>
>>1983703
i missed out on buying ones at the surplus store, but straps work fine for my oven
>>
>>1983696
my personal experience is that if you know what you're doing with weight distribution and proper stowing, having a super fancy pack only provides a marginally improved experience. unless you're rich as fuck or climbing some crazy mountain, finding a functional secondhand pack for a fraction of the price is almost always an amazing bet
>>
>>1981067
Kelty isn’t the only brand of external frame pack. And an external frame that doesn’t extend above the wearers shoulders defeats the entire purpose.
>>
I have an medium Alice pack I bought at a thrift store for him
Do I have to use a specific usgi frame or can I use any other frame
I'd look on ebay for alice frames, but everything I found was atleast 50 dollars + fuckyou shipping pricing
>>
>>1982807
>>1982890
>paying $40 for a crusty old rental pack
why though? you can find newer and better on craigslist for the same price, especially this year with so many normalfags trying to get outside for the first time but realizing it's not for them
>>
>>1980908
I got a hpg ute pack and I love it, but I wish I had gotten the bigger one. Qui ya or whatever. I also wish there was a side zipper or a zipper on the bottom of the pack so I don't have to pull everything out to get to shit at the bottom of my ruck. I would recommend though, it's very comfortable and I like the compression straps and the ability to use the tarahumara pack as a compression panel.
>>
>>1984197
secondhand gear doesn't bother me, and the stitching/panels all look brand new. it's fucking hard to find a pack like that nowadays, since very few places still make quality externals, and when they do, they're either 70+ liters or gear queer technicool ridiculousness. I wanted a small, durable external frame for light backpacking, and that pack is fucking perfect. sure some people want to buy new shit, but that's never been a priority for me.

try and find a 25L external fresh off the factory floors. you can't. used gear 100% has a niche, and that pack is it.
>>
>>1983552
Id get the orange one
>>
What type of bags do I mount on mine, are there any good ways to mount guns on it?
I paid $50 so it didn’t come with much but it’s still good.
>>
>>1984798
if you've already got a good frame, they make aftermarket uppers to make it function like a standard pack. not sure what keywords you'd use to find one though.
if you're carrying tents/sleeping bags/pads, they do well lashed horizontally at the top or bottom of your frame
>>
>>1980906
I have pic related with the pack it came with, this thing is gret, able to strap rifle and my cat in a carrier on the top also.
>>
>>1985202
you carry your cat in your pack? are you talking about the animal or am I stupid

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.