[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 39 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

anyone here own a telescope or stargaze on the regular? I was thinking about getting into it but don't know where to start
>>
>>1980831
not much to look at where i live
literally all you gotta do is sit somewhere and look up. find a book on the cosmos and read up, learn about them. learn to identify planets and stars. doesn't seem like a hard thing to start doing
>>
>>1980843
I live near the Appalachian trail and could go out there for good visibility. Already can recognize most constellations.
do you just use sight of eye? no telescope?
To be honest, I live in the Hudson Valley which is a UFO hotspot, and have already seen weird shit at night. I thought a scope might come in handy
>>
File: 20200717_235807.jpg (2.79 MB, 4032x2268)
2.79 MB
2.79 MB JPG
I do astronomy and astrophotography as a main hobby. What's your budget and how far are you from dark skies? If you really want to get into it check out the cloudy nights website, they have a ton of info.
>>
>>1980848
Binoculars. A pair of 7x40 or close to is great. I currently own 4 telescopes and I still use my 10x50 binoculars a ton for stargazing. If you recognize most constellations get a star atlas and find star clusters.
>>
I get decent darkness where I live, but all I have is a cheap pair of binoculars for now. This year I'll probably try to get something better, stargazing is very entertaining.
>>
>>1981479
Nice setup anon
>>
File: 20190206_205202.jpg (3.79 MB, 4032x2268)
3.79 MB
3.79 MB JPG
>>1981522
Thanks, that's one of my several setups. Winter astronomy is best astronomy
>>
>>1981479
I have little light pollution where I live, and if I hike out, probably none.
I'm willing to drop a couple hundred bucks, maybe $400 max
can I see some of your photos btw?
>>
>>1981658
If you can easily transport a telescope get a 6 or 8" dobsonian for viewing. They give great views and are pretty affordable. Don't both with imaging or electronics unless you're going to drop more money.

I can post some of my pics later. All I have on my phone are the full size photos which are way too big to post.
>>
>>1981479
Do you have a TEC by any chance?
>>
>>1981705
No, I wish I did. Someday I'll treat myself to a TEC 140. I do have a Stellarvue with a tested strehl of 0.98 though.
>>
>>1981577
I see you have a polemaster adapter. Polar aligning the mount is a breeze with it.
>>
>>1980831
I do have one and used it once or twice to look at jupiter but I live in a large urban area so I can’t really use it to it’s full potential. Maybe I’ll finally be able to watch the stars when I move out in a few months.
>>
>>1980831
Get a pair of 7x50 or 10x50 binoculars. Go look at the orion nebula and andromeda That's where you start.
>>
>>1981479
Did you get any images from the jupiter-saturn convergence on dec. 21?

I took my tiny scope out to look, it was pretty sick.
>>
>>1982501
Sadly no, we've had clouds almost nonstop for a month or so in my area.
>>
File: 20210113_150239.jpg (698 KB, 2048x1152)
698 KB
698 KB JPG
These are three of my more used scopes. A little brown case is a tiny little mac stop about three and a half inch diameter made by Ad Astra. Should give away who made it as in later years it was made by the Kimball Organ Company, which explains the weird finish on the case.

The long one on the left is a 7in maksutov Newtonian, and the one on the right is and 8 inch maksutov cassegrain, both made by Intes.

The shorter squat one is more suitable for astrophotography or viewing fairly small objects or planets
>>
>>1982627
The telescope is very small weighs about a pound and a half. You focus by screwing or unscrewing the front corrector. You can do photography with it as the rears unscrews to reveal an M 42 threaded mount to which you can adopt virtually any modern SLR or mirrorless camera
>>
File: 20210113_150759.jpg (876 KB, 2048x1152)
876 KB
876 KB JPG
>>1982630
>>
>>1982586
Too bad, it was way cool. I could just make out some color on both planets, and the galilean moons were lined up so sweetly.
>>
Start by spending $800 on a new scope, identify the summer triangle, then the northern cross, then find the double star in the cross. Find nebulas
>>
I wish I knew things about telescopes :\
>>
>>1982836
You live in the age of the internet. Go to cloudy nights and learn something people there are very willing to share their knowledge and their time if you live close enough to one of them.
>>
>>1980831
>i don't know where to start
>download stellarium on your phone
>go on night walks.
Learn the Big Dipper. It's part of the constellation Ursa Major . The lip of the bowl points to the north star.

Learn the North Star. It's in the constellation Ursa Minor.

Learn Cassiopeia. She is roughly on the other side of ursa minor from ursa major. She makes a clear M or W in the sky. The central point of which, points, roughly, to the north star.

Now that you know those 3. You can orient yourself with the night sky and branch out from there to learn the other constellations around it. I use them and Orion to find most everything. You know Orion's belt right? And that he has a dong? That helps you orient off of that constellation. So you can learn what's above it, below it, etc.

You should also look up meteor shower dates and plan on viewing them if you can.
https://www.amsmeteors.org/meteor-showers/meteor-shower-calendar/
And by then you'll know the basic constellations and where to look.

And you didn't have to spend a dime.
>>
>>1980831
Get a mirror (newtonian) telescope if you're getting into it. Galilean telescopes have chromatic aberration which sucks assa
>>
File: 20210114_172900.jpg (1.67 MB, 2268x3594)
1.67 MB
1.67 MB JPG
>>1982379
>some day I will treat myself to a 140

You should! Amazing scopes. I'm one of the opticians at TEC, working mostly on the bigger offerings, 180s, 200s, 250s and special projects. Pic related is a 300mm bsl7 lens I'm working on for our 300 VT astrograph.
>>
>tfw my telescope is locked in the bed of my ute 11000 miles away.
It might as well be on Saturn.
>>
>>1983474
Give my regards to Yuri.

I managed to locate enough molded NOS Maksutov corrector to make possibly two dozen 11" Maksutovs of various focal ratios. I also found some more 8 1/2" Water white crown made by Chance Pilkington. These one were to be used by Quantum for a second and third run of 8" f15
>>
>tfw want to get into astrology but my eyes are fucky
Feels bad man.
>>
File: 1277272127893.jpg (10 KB, 300x250)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>1983524
>astrology
>>
>>1983529
Astrology, astronomy, stargazing, all the same things. My point is staring at little dots in the sky doesn't work well for me
>>
>>1983530
Astrology is magic crystal bullshit that doesn't involve actual looking at the stars, stop being defective please.
>>
>>1983536
Ahh you're just using different fancy words, it all means the same thing.
>>
>>1983530
Looking into the Milky Way with a small scope and looking into a sea of stars.
>>
File: 1294527586377.jpg (114 KB, 604x453)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
>>1983547
>>1983530
>>1983524
>>
>>1983352
For me? It’s Sky Guide. It also helps me for my sun line calculations
>>
>>1980831
Get a pair of good binoculars. Nothing fancy, just something along the lines of 7x50. That's honestly what you're going to be using most often.
>>
>>1981665
post some pics of planets!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>1980831
Which night sky phone app do you guys recommend?
I just wanted make sure I get the one either with the most features or the one that takes up the least storage space.
>>
>>1983352
>Be from Southern hemisphere
>We don't have any of those constellations
>Orion's 'dong' actually points up instead of down
>In also fairly sure the moon rotates backwards down here as well
Trying to get into astronomy here sucks
>>
>>1987705
>moon rotates backwards
wat
>>
>>1987893
From our perspective we see the moon upside down, so the lunar cycle starts off with the left side lighting up first.
Look at lunar cycle on wiki and it has two different animations for the two hemispheres
>>
>>1982436
i done this the other week with some 7x60
theyre not bad, but what am a looking at to really get a decent view at deep space stuff, nebulae galaxies etc? for lets say 5/600 dollary do dahs
>>
>>1988472
Oh yeah, that. I thought you meant it actually rotated backwards on its own axis, which would be weird, as we don't really perceive the moon's rotation like that.
>>
>>1989203
You can't get a good vew of deep space objects with optics alone. You'd need to take long exposure photographs of them. The vast majority of them will just look like smudges through binoculars or a telescope. The only thing I can think of that kind of looks like itself through optics is the Orion nebula.
>>
File: argonavis.png (676 KB, 1916x1062)
676 KB
676 KB PNG
The only downside of the southern hemisphere is that the southern constellations don't have any mythology and are either boring forms or linked up together in counter-intuitive ways.
Like who the fuck though argo navis was a good idea
>MASSIVE
>expects people to not see the false cross
>need to go through a labyrinth of third magnitude stars before connecting Canopus to the rest of the easily visible stars
>is supposed to look like a ship but don't expect it to sail across the sky, the abomination rises completely upside down with the front facing east and goes backwards tilting its way across the sky until it finally sets in a proper orientation
>some 5 hours between the first and brightest star rising and the constellation becoming entirely visible.
>>
>>1980831
There’s a /p/ thread on this right now I think. A few guys there use them for astrophoto.
>>
>>1982836
>I wish I knew things about telescopes :\
They allow you to slay enemies at great distance.
>>
>>1983474
>300mm bsl7 lens I'm working on for our 300 VT astrograph.
You sell this with an L-mount adapter?
>>
File: for-ben.jpg (3.81 MB, 2633x1808)
3.81 MB
3.81 MB JPG
Not reading the thread.
Resources I use for planning:
stellarium-web.org (Seeing where shit will be at what time, learning constellations)
clearoutside.com (visibility forecasts)
lightpollution.info (light pollution for your area--to find other dark sites)
cleardarksky.com (finding already-claimed-to-be-dark sites and seeing their visibility forecasts; also gives you the names of local astronomy clubs to e-mail)
i also just search "npf calculation" before i go shooting shit with my camera.
attached image is some shitty garbage i took using the process.
i heavily encourage building your own dobsonian by getting together with people from a makerspace or from someone you know has some basic tools.
>>
>>1989669
i have a pair of 10x25s that i like to scan the sky with. cheap 8x42s are available for ludicrously low prices these days if you're patient, so don't let yourself be held back by "i don't have $300 for a telescope."
if society ever forgets how nice it is to be alone in your own house again, you can go to astronomy club meetups and they're all fucking tits.
clear skies.
>>
File: Mike Clements.jpg (238 KB, 1506x1149)
238 KB
238 KB JPG
>>1980831
buy a questar 3.5"
the telescope, not the spotting scope
>>
>>1989664
The fuck are you whining about? You get the best view of the milky way, probably one of the single coolest things a human can see nowadays when it comes to stargazing
>>
>>1990020
I'm aware of that, which is why I mentioned the ONLY downside of this hemisphere is that the southern constellations, the imaginary lines drawn by humans, have no history and just look terrible. The sky itself looks amazing and I can easily see the denser parts of the milky even from my roof, despite the light pollution of a 60k pop. city.
>>
>>1987702
I got the complete version of starwalk2 for 5 bucks on a sale last year. Its not a hardcore tool, but it offers 3d constellations/models for celestial bodies, satellite/comet tracking, a calendar for tracking moon phases, rise and set of planets, information for what youre looking at and notices for cool stuff to look for, such as meteor showers. It also does gyro tracking.
>>
>>1990059
sounds good.
it's not one of those apps that relies on data to work though does it?
i lose reception the moment i go a mile out of town so I want to be sure it'll work when i'm out camping.
>>
>>1990448
It appears to function with wifi and mobile data disabled, but you might try the gimped free version before you spend money. If you decide to purchase, get the all in one bundle so future expansions are free. The latest updates to it add missions, core structures, atlases and image galleries for planets, and only uses 0.91 gigs of space. It was taking only 526 megs earlier.
>>
>>1990659
>a fucking gig
nah hard pass.
i'm looking for an app maybe 15~50megs.
MAYBE 100megs if it's farking amazing.
>>
>>1990673
You're talking about storage space like it's fucking currency. You do know you can delete things or just get a bigger SD card, right?
>>
>>1990673
Dunno how much it is but Skyguide is stellar
>>
>>1989365
>Orion nebula
yes, that does look good. the rest are just smudges. i know it isnt going to look like touched up huble images, but what is the best scope for deep space stuff do you recon? under a grand.
>>
>>1980831
Is it common to see UFOs?
>>
>>1991134
klingons on uranus pretty common
>>
>>1980831
I've just been out in the garden with a kids toy scope. It's literally only good for viewing the moon but I got Mars through it tonight. Actually resolved it to a red/brown disc in the viewer but no further detail.

If you have absolutely nothing then I would recommend the Sky Watcher Heritage 100p. It is a table top dobsonian, meaning you don't need a tripod or anything. Just plonk it on a sturdy garden table and get looking. I believe that Orion do a similar product in the US
>>
>>1991096
The best telescope is one that you will use regularly. Why not consider a flexi-tube dobsonian that's easy to store and transport?

If you're dead set on spending that kind of money then there are loads of options. A reflector will always offer better bang for the buck but refractors have their positives too especially if you want to do terrestrial viewing in the day time.
>>
>>1991096
>i know it isnt going to look like the touched up huble images
True, but you can see its shape very well. It's just in monochrome.
>but what is the best scope for deep space stuff do you recon?
I don't know any specific telescopes, but you'll want to look at the bigger newtonian reflectors. With deep space objects, the wider the tube, the better results you're going to get. The thinner ones are generally better for sniping planets, etc. I only have a 650mm newtonian reflector, and while I can see some of the deep space objects in ok-ish clarity, I sometimes wish it was a bit bigger.
>>
>>1991096
Scopes are like rocking horse shit at the moment. Everything's made in China and its all just sitting in storage because of the container crisis.

You really need to have a think about your application. Dobsonians and altazimuth mounts are quicker to set up but you need to use 2 axis to follow what you are tracking.

An equatorial mount needs a bit of setting up but can track across 1 axis. Its not hard to do, just needs to be done so is better suited for longer sessions of stargazing.

Do you think you will be dabbling in photography, like attaching a DSLR to the scope? If so then you may want to consider going straight for doublet or triplet refractor.

That's not to say you can't do all that with a reflector either, just that a refractor is the "pros choice" for photography.

Do you want a motorised mount? Do you want goto tracking? What about WiFi and smart phone connections that are available now?

Honestly, I thinknthe best option is to go for a tabletop dobsonian like the Sky Watcher 150p Flexi-tube. It's nowhere near as expensive as your budget allows for but it is portable, fast to set up and will give you a really good idea of what you can do and what you might like. After that you can think about something bigger and better but everyone who has a tabletop always raves about them due to their portability and super fast and easy set up time.
>>
>>1991723
>>1991574
>>1991209
thanks, some things to think about. in no rush. but sometimes its worth paying a bit more for something if it makes a difference. i probably wont buy another ever again. doesnt need any gadgets. i use sky safari on an old smart phone to get a rough idea where stuff is then look at it with the binos, doesnt have a sim card in it,just 2 apps, sky safari and radio ottanta. i probably wont add a camera, simply because you can download much better images of the same things in seconds. but when you get into it perhaps you want to upgrade.
>>
>>1990852
you cant install apps on an SD.
apps can only be installed on the device's default storage.
t. I have a 128gig SD in my phone but cant install any apps or run any updates because the SD is only useful for photos and mp3s.
>>
>>1992771
>what the fuck is connected storage
>>
>>1992771
The fuck are you talking about? You may not be able to install it on the SD, but you can definitely move it to the SD after the fact. Learn how your shit works.
>>
>>1992401
My scope arrived today. There is a massive shortage of scopes in England so I could only get a Memestron Explorer refractor. I haven't used it in anger yet due to bad weather but hope to get it out over the weekend.

I notice the eyepieces aren't plossls so it looks like I'll be needing to upgrade those at some point
>>
File: IMG_20200925_165445_730.jpg (173 KB, 1080x1080)
173 KB
173 KB JPG
I do visual astronomy and astrophotography as one of my main activities. Gonna post a few pictures I took with about 2k worth of equipment and only a couple of months of experience. If you got any questionset me know.
>>
File: IMG_20200920_143719_417.jpg (2.83 MB, 2933x2933)
2.83 MB
2.83 MB JPG
>>
File: IMG_20201115_181933_100.jpg (2.64 MB, 2840x2840)
2.64 MB
2.64 MB JPG
>>
File: IMG_20200903_192944_656.jpg (95 KB, 1080x809)
95 KB
95 KB JPG
>>
>>1989668
We can source or maybe even in-house any kind of adapter you might need. The 300 vt is typically sold to institutions or very serious hobbyists so we just make the scope and come up with a custom solution for mounting if needed per the customer's needs.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.